Fantasy Character Creation Contest For A6 Engine!!

Posted By: Tozzy

Fantasy Character Creation Contest For A6 Engine!! - 07/21/05 15:38

Hello everyone,

Thought it was about time to make the contest official. We have been talking about it in Morbius and exchanging views for about 2 days now.

This contest consists of:

Creating a fantasy style character of your choice (preferably a character that isn't part of a copyrighted game though eg. Final Fantasy ) to be used within the A6 engine. Depending on the quality of the mdls, we could ask permission from Conitec to possibly replace the old premade mdls included in '3D Game Studio'. As the mdls are main characters to be displayed on screen as the main focus point, the mdls can include the following specifications:

512X512 BMP/TGA Skin. If necessary, 1024X1024 may be acceptable too but it depends on the quality and resolution.

Polycount is restricted to 3500 - 4500 Faces. Exceeding this polycount limitation may be accepted though depending on the detail of the geometry used.

Animation is OPTIONAL but therefore, not required.

Anyone that wishes to include alpha transparency, should you need it, must try and include this as a separate MDL due to 'Z Buffer' rendering issues within '3D Game Studio', unless the use of a script can be issued by you or a C-Script Programmer.

Contestants can opt out at any point during the contest if they wish.

Feel free to post your 'WIP' if you wish. The deadline is two weeks. This contest will finish on Friday 5th August 2005. A voting poll will be created on this special day. When submitting your work, please show screenshots from all angles.

You may post here and let other people know what you wish to create.

I wish everyone the best of luck. Try your best. Don't give up. Anything I've missed, please let me know and I'll include it here.

Thank you!!!!

*** Toz's character will be a mystical ninja warrior using various reference images of footwear, clothing and armour. ***
Posted By: phil3d

Re: Fantasy Character Creation Contest For A6 Engine!! - 07/21/05 15:55

i decided to model uma thurman (kill bill style) cause i love kill bill. not really a fantasy character but i hope it will be accepted. i started today morning and tried to collected some references of her. i got a good front refrence of the face but the side reference made some trouble.

as you can see the bottom line doesn't matched but this is no real problem.

Re: Fantasy Character Creation Contest For A6 Engine!! - 07/21/05 15:59

and after some hours it looks like that:

i use 3dmax splinecage modeling to model the head and for the body box modeling/extruding.

hope some more people join this contest

Re: Fantasy Character Creation Contest For A6 Engine!! - 07/21/05 16:00

Xcelos, don't worry. This is fine . Well so far, mine is going good. I'm dreading painting it though. I kinda suck at this lol. Mind you, I didn't do too bad last time I made something. But yea, I'm doing a bit of texture baking, a bit of photo gathering for clone painting. Well time to go out in the garden for some fresh air. Will return soon for more work .

EDIT: Wow, you are quick . Takes me ages doing heads. Looking really good.
Posted By: Sjoerd

Re: Fantasy Character Creation Contest For A6 Engi - 07/21/05 16:53

I join the contest, but I can not guarantee that I will finish it in time cause I go on holiday from 27-7 till 3-8. I don't know what to do yet. Most likely a woman, but I don't know what style.

Re: Fantasy Character Creation Contest For A6 Engi - 07/21/05 17:32

No problem Sjoerd. Just see what you can do. Yea, I'm going on holiday too in September though so I have a lot of time . Anyway, quick update from me:

I've got the foot more or less done so maybe later it might just need tweaking all depending. The bit above the ankle is looking nice and I'm just basically doing the shin area.

Ok enough from me, best be carrying on

Re: Fantasy Character Creation Contest For A6 Engi - 07/21/05 17:35

can't see anything toz :-/. here is my update:

Re: Fantasy Character Creation Contest For A6 Engi - 07/21/05 17:48

Yup, it's coming on that face .

Quote:

I've got the foot more or less done so maybe later it might just need tweaking all depending. The bit above the ankle is looking nice and I'm just basically doing the shin area.

You didn't see this? Did you forget to open your eyes? Just kidding .

Re: Fantasy Character Creation Contest For A6 Engi - 07/21/05 17:56

my eyes are good but there is no image ;-).

here is uma's hattori hanzo sword

Posted By: Guardian

Re: Fantasy Character Creation Contest For A6 Engi - 07/21/05 18:00

Looks like your model will have moveable eyes and mouth is that so? By the way it’s a good start.

Here's a rule of thumb for low poly humanoid characters if your limbs and shapes in general have 4 vertices in circumference = approximately 1000- polys, 6 verts cerc. = approx. 1500 polys, 8 verts cerc. = approx. 2000 polys. 8 polygons around makes a more pleasing natural shape for an arm leg or torso.

Hope this makes sense.

Re: Fantasy Character Creation Contest For A6 Engi - 07/21/05 18:07

hmm facial expressions would be nice. maybe i anitmate the face but for now it will be a still

Re: Fantasy Character Creation Contest For A6 Engi - 07/21/05 18:18

Xcelos, there wasn't meant to be a image there lol. I'm going to leave you all in suspense for a bit lol.

By the way, that sword looks fine but, you wait until you see my swords lol. They will slice that sword into cucumber slices LOL. But it's a good sword though .

And hey, thanks a lot Guardian for that helpful info. Yea, I've been tinkering about for the past 20 mins figuring out how many verts it should have. Thanks! Think you might be joining? Just wondering .

EDIT: Mine is looking a treat!

Re: Fantasy Character Creation Contest For A6 Engi - 07/21/05 19:42

update:

Re: Fantasy Character Creation Contest For A6 Engi - 07/21/05 20:19

Wow xcelos, looks great! You're so much better than me... lol. I will start tomorrow.

Re: Fantasy Character Creation Contest For A6 Engi - 07/21/05 20:40

Yea, I don't know how he does it lol. By the way, I was forgetting that Xcelos doesn't have 3D Game Studio so, as a result of this, I presume he will be taking screenshots from MAX. This is ok but votes can't really be based on quality of materials, unless the shaders were made from 3D Game Studio (which they won't be because as I said, he doesn't have 3DGS). Please remember this. All detail should really be as diffuse because this is how it will look when loaded into A6. Remember, we're looking for game related content made for A6, not looking how shiny that armour looks, or how glossy that helmet looks because shaders (used within MAX) don't count .

A B or C anyone? Which one is correct? I think C. What do you think?

Hope this is understandable. Any problems, let me know.
Posted By: MaclarenF1

Re: Fantasy Character Creation Contest For A6 Engi - 07/22/05 00:32

Half way between C and A. I used my own leg for reference.

MacLaren

Re: Fantasy Character Creation Contest For A6 Engi - 07/22/05 03:04

I think I might join in too. Just for fun though. I think I'll work on a buffy the vampire slayer type character; anime style. I probably won't be able to finish but should be fun. Think I'll mostly work on the concept art then model the head and see how it goes from there.
Posted By: VPrime

Re: Fantasy Character Creation Contest For A6 Engi - 07/22/05 05:26

Toz this may help.. was posted on the polycount forums long ago..

Re: Fantasy Character Creation Contest For A6 Engi - 07/22/05 08:45

i will give her some kind of leather jacket but not the yellow one from the movie. nice start TOZ

Re: Fantasy Character Creation Contest For A6 Engi - 07/22/05 10:15

made her shoes

and her sword

Posted By: scary_man

Re: Fantasy Character Creation Contest For A6 Engi - 07/22/05 14:05

Nice start xcelos nice shoes too ^^ can we see wires of the head?

I think I'll join the contest too hehe. Just finished my last model so yup
I think i'll be entering a Fantasy model. Dark and evil character with some sort of sword or something.

I'll start right away with the concept

-Jeroen

Re: Fantasy Character Creation Contest For A6 Engi - 07/22/05 14:13

@MclarenF1: Nope. A and B were taken from a professional artist, the korean guy that modelled the final fantasy character and that is from his tutorial. However, I added diagram 'C' which is my own judgement on how it should look. I've done this because A definitely doesn't look correct. I understand why, but B isn't correct either in my honest opinion . Look at B closely, the two polygons nearest the hinge part look 'bent' because the cut is missing. It's really hard to explain though but the polygon isn't flat. This is why those additional cuts I've made are there.

@Guardian: Thanks for joining. Can't wait to see your work. Good luck. Don't worry if you don't get it finished though.

@VPrime: Thanks for posting this! However, even C doesn't look as correct as it could be though and this is supposed to be correct? Hmm. .

@Xcelos:

Quote:

nice start TOZ

Nice of you to say but hey, this isn't my work. I've done more than that lol. You'll see my work later today . Watch out for it . By the way, your painting skills are amazing. I wish you could teach me . I'm going to have to paint like that on my model soon but not looking forward to it though.

@scary_man: Welcome to the contest ! Good luck!

See you guys later .
Posted By: ello

Re: Fantasy Character Creation Contest For A6 Engi - 07/22/05 14:21

i can only say respect to you modelers out there:) i tried some...
head:

torso:

and both took me hours of work and i fear of going on , so once again respect to ya

Re: Fantasy Character Creation Contest For A6 Engi - 07/22/05 14:36

Ello, respect to you. It looks really good. But remember, the skin will be the main important part. I fear that this is either going to make my model or break my model .

Hey a WIP update from me at last! Crits/ comments welcome!
Just need to do the arms, head, armour and make overall adjustments:

I have an image in my head of how he could look. I can see red ninja style trousers with japanese lettering on etc. Metal armoured shins. Helmet maybe and some nice iron/ brass gloves!

Re: Fantasy Character Creation Contest For A6 Engi - 07/22/05 14:38

Hey Ello! Nice start, seams high poly hehe good luck

@Toz: I'd love to see some more

ok Concept done and started mesh.

I Named my character Rio ^^ Suggestion of a friend

-Jeroen

Re: Fantasy Character Creation Contest For A6 Engi - 07/22/05 14:42

Wow I wish I could sketch that quuckly and that well. Good concept to work from. This will be a good guide. Can't wait to see it finished too .

Quote:

Hey Ello! Nice start, seams high poly hehe

Don't worry, the blue wireframe mesh will be for the low poly version. Correct me if I'm wrong please Ello lol .

Re: Fantasy Character Creation Contest For A6 Engi - 07/22/05 14:50

Quote:

Quote:

Hey Ello! Nice start, seams high poly hehe

Don't worry, the blue wireframe mesh will be for the low poly version. Correct me if I'm wrong please Ello lol .

yes, since i had problems putting my killerbug into 3dgs i am trying to create with low poly count. whenever i want highpoly i can put it into a hypernurbs-object. btw: doing so , often shows up where the low-poly needs some adjustement

if i ever get this model compiled i will jump over to my beautifull BodyPaint3D, using a pen with it is much comfortable, we'll see if i get some time during my holidays, but the next week will be absence for me:)

have a nice one

Re: Fantasy Character Creation Contest For A6 Engi - 07/22/05 15:34

@Toz: Are you making this model with no concept? would be alot easier to work from.
Just sketch and draw things. don't need a pose. just check some other sites for
the body. I suggest www.fineart.sk for muscles.
Ur mesh is a little messy and I did a small paintover:

----
Update on mine :

added Hands and Feet

will make concept for the head and start working on it ^^

-Jeroen

Re: Fantasy Character Creation Contest For A6 Engi - 07/22/05 16:26

Hi scary_man: I'm using just 1 body reference and 1 torso reference. However, I'm not entirely sure what I'm doing yet. I'm not doing a normal ninja in clothing as such. If the textures are good, it will be a sort of robot mechanical thing for the torso. Let's say like half human, half robot lol . I'm not a human head at all. It will be a sort of terminator head. I keep forgetting I'm not modelling a human body as such. There shouldn't be any skin (as in human skin) needed for this model. I'll see how things turn out. However, I will have an update later. Thanks for tips marked in red by the way .

Re: Fantasy Character Creation Contest For A6 Engi - 07/22/05 17:59

for those who are interested in the geometry
Posted By: FeiHongJr

Re: Fantasy Character Creation Contest For A6 Engi - 07/22/05 18:17

workin on a charcter... Not really a fantasy one but figured id post it here. Hopefully with any luck it shall become a fierce shaolin warrior Still needs alot of work... Dreading doing the head... Not to mention the skin Thats where i really really suck anyways heres an early shot. Did it all in med

Re: Fantasy Character Creation Contest For A6 Engi - 07/22/05 18:27

Looks better than mine.... Mine giving me trouble lol. I hate doing organic modelling. It's really the toughest of the bunch IMO. Xcelos, why did you post the boat ?

Anyway, I guess I'll just keep tweaking etc.

Re: Fantasy Character Creation Contest For A6 Engi - 07/22/05 18:30

hey,FeiHongJr, looks good, but i would love to see the wireframe, too, since a noob like me can learn more from looking at wireframes

Re: Fantasy Character Creation Contest For A6 Engi - 07/22/05 18:41

Thanks, Yours both look very good to. Esspecially yours Ello very good job. Nothing special about the wireframe really... Acctually needs to be reworked.. Isnt really optimal for animations.Plus still need to weld and merge some vertices to lower poly count... but figured id leave them for now cause itll be easier to make less polys then add them if i need them later A wip deffinately Now if i dont get frustrated and give up or half ass the rest of it like 90% of the other projects i start

Re: Fantasy Character Creation Contest For A6 Engi - 07/22/05 19:55

I started modelling too. I am modelling a girl for in an action game. She will be a nice, sexy, good looking girl but not the videogame cliche type with big boobs etc. I am having problems with uploading pics to my school webserver. I will try again tomorrow.

Re: Fantasy Character Creation Contest For A6 Engi - 07/22/05 20:39

@Sjoerd: Hopefully it succeeds
ps. Waar kom je vandaan?

@FeiHongJr: Nice model. Would be fun animating it

@Ello: Got some more wires for ya

Need some rest now. Will continue in the weekends.

-Jeroen

Re: Fantasy Character Creation Contest For A6 Engi - 07/22/05 21:14

Yea, it's nice work scary_man. I was going to give up on mine although, I can't do that. I dunno, it just seems like it's not getting anywhere but I guess it's still early days. Wanna see a picture? Ok:

What do you think? Maybe when the skin is put on it'll look like way better?

By the way, I put like a hole in his chest for the machinary to go. His head will be robotic and will be super intelligent!!

Re: Fantasy Character Creation Contest For A6 Engi - 07/22/05 21:51

wow, scary_man, that was fast and goodlooking.. realy good to learn from

i am this far

Re: Fantasy Character Creation Contest For A6 Engi - 07/22/05 22:06

Hi all, I was wonder if everyone could say what programs they are using when they post, I think it would help.

Re: Fantasy Character Creation Contest For A6 Engi - 07/22/05 22:06

So should I start again then?

ME: 3DS MAX and Ulead Photo Express. See you in the morning then as noone is replying.

Re: Fantasy Character Creation Contest For A6 Engi - 07/22/05 22:22

Hi Toz, no need to start again.

Re: Fantasy Character Creation Contest For A6 Engi - 07/22/05 22:30

As i said using med for mine... Use to use blender alot but now i do a majority of my modeling in med. Then if i need to i export to 3ds and do some touch ups with blender since it has niffty features like edge loop cut ect..

Re: Fantasy Character Creation Contest For A6 Engi - 07/23/05 02:29

Hi all, I don't usually work this fast but your'e all so far ahead.
Here's the concept Art I've been working on. Hope to move on to modeling the head in a day or two.

b&w

color

critique welcome.

Guardian

Oh, the basic concept is a Buffy the Vampire Slayer, she's a cheerleader in her off time. Sketched this in Alias SketchBook, great program works well with graphire tablet.

Re: Fantasy Character Creation Contest For A6 Engi - 07/23/05 05:20

I Think I may "enter" as well... i wont finishf or sure.... but should bef un to get into modelling again.. but i have no ideas! :'(

Re: Fantasy Character Creation Contest For A6 Engi - 07/23/05 09:24

VPRime, welcome ^^ meet u at the finish I hope!

Guardian, Nice sketch! want to see it 3d

Toz, Looking better! keep up

Im using Maya for my models
and using Photoshop for textures and concepts
and using my Graphire tablet making concepts ^^

But i got no ideas for the head! :'(

-Jeroen

Re: Fantasy Character Creation Contest For A6 Engi - 07/23/05 10:04

i guess i'm pretty close to this level. but i'm getting some problems to get all on a 1024² skin and i'm right now at 2600 polies. will be fun to get everything fixed. i think you can recognize uma thurman but i'll work on the head again when i have time next week

i'll write some more and some suggestions to the other models when i have time maybe later today or tomorrow

Re: Fantasy Character Creation Contest For A6 Engi - 07/23/05 10:26

@Guardian: I'll carry on with it. Sorry, I was getting a bit stressed out last night and worried. Your concept is really good. Takes too long for me to draw stuff like that.

@Scary_man: Thanks! I'll do some more today too.

@VPrime: Welcome to the contest.

@Xcelos: I don't know how you do it . However, you won't have room on your map maybe because you don't use symmetry where you need it most. Keep working on it though. Looking hotter than ever.

P.S. That head is either too big or the body is too small. I might be wrong here though.

Re: Fantasy Character Creation Contest For A6 Engi - 07/23/05 10:34

i would like to see your references toz.. your body looks a bit off.

nice concept guardian. this should turn out great

i have maybe 1/3 of the skin size left´that should be enough for the legs

Re: Fantasy Character Creation Contest For A6 Engi - 07/23/05 11:37

@Xcelos..... don't wanna spoil it all but... This model isn't really "fantasy" right? ur making a model of a reallife person. correct me if im wrong?
@Toz: just keep up the work. we are all still learning if we were not we'd be using advanced engines like Unreal3 or be dead :P

-Jeroen

Re: Fantasy Character Creation Contest For A6 Engi - 07/23/05 11:40

I have tried again uploading to my school webspace, but it looks like they disabled uploading in the holiday period... . But I have found another place to upload, so here are my first pics.
Not very much, I have to add lots of polys.

Perspective:

Front:

Side:

@scary_man, Ik kom uit het noorden van Friesland, boven Dokkum. En jij?

Re: Fantasy Character Creation Contest For A6 Engi - 07/23/05 12:06

@Xcelos: I'm not using blueprints. I'm modelling off a pic of yoshimitsu. I'll post a pic today later of it. Body proportions may be off yes but I can sort that later.

Quote:

i guess i'm pretty close to this level.

Sorry I have to disagree with you. Your work is good. Texturing is clear but not as extravagant as Tidus. Geometry isn't as well structured. If you look at Tidus, there are tonnes of unwrapping here. Also, xcelos, your specs could be better. Sorry. Please don't take this the wrong way. I'm not being mean. Just expressing my honest thoughts. I'm not saying mine is better. I'm having trouble on mine too and know I could improve tonnes.

@Scary_man: Thanks. We'll see the difference in a few days. Hopefully it will be twice as good. . Keeep going on your model. Can't wait to see it skinned.

@Sjoerd: Good start to the body. Arms maybe need more work but it's still in WIP I know .

Good work everyone. See you soon.

Re: Fantasy Character Creation Contest For A6 Engi - 07/23/05 17:03

update 60% finished

Re: Fantasy Character Creation Contest For A6 Engi - 07/23/05 17:06

Thats lookin great. Really good job on the skin. Only crit is that the head looks a lil big for the body other then that excellent work.
Posted By: Matt_Aufderheide

Re: Fantasy Character Creation Contest For A6 Engi - 07/23/05 17:17

yes head is too big..
Posted By: Bilbo

Re: Fantasy Character Creation Contest For A6 Engi - 07/23/05 17:21

i agree with all, great work not sure how its related to fantasy character unless u using the idea that the the person is just some1 from a film not real... by the way im guessing ur textures are photos

Re: Fantasy Character Creation Contest For A6 Engi - 07/23/05 19:06

not that great on my opinion...
legs.. weird? show us some geometry we can help out
face.. little wide and bumpy? smooth it out!
the hair. did she use gel?
no critics on the feet! (Y) can we see her back?

-Jeroen
(I will continue tomorrow)

Re: Fantasy Character Creation Contest For A6 Engi - 07/23/05 20:10

Quote:

not that great on my opinion...
legs.. weird? show us some geometry we can help out
face.. little wide and bumpy? smooth it out!
the hair. did she use gel?
no critics on the feet! (Y) can we see her back?

Yea, I agree. The funny thing is you (Xcelos) said you thought it wasn't far off Tidus level quality. Tidus really took my breath away.

Anyway, today's been rather exasperating. Spent like 4 hours doing the head. I really suck at this. This is the main reason why I chose to challenge it to get better though. However, I admit, I didn't realise it was going to be this hard. Well plans for tomorrow: Revise the head. I need to make it look less mirrored, also reduce the polycount by at least 10%.

Re: Fantasy Character Creation Contest For A6 Engi - 07/23/05 21:45

Ok then
Started on the head and im on about 3k poly's
gets me 1.5k to smooth things out and add hair + a Weapon :P

also will draw some future poses for him ^^

Comments and Critics are always welcome ^^

-Jeroen
Posted By: ventilator

Re: Fantasy Character Creation Contest For A6 Engi - 07/23/05 22:09

what's the point of modeling the kill bill character for this contest? it won't be useable... maybe i didn't get the idea of this contest but i think the polygon limit should be < 3000 and why isn't animation a necessity? how can a non-animated character replace the ones which come with 3dgs?

Re: Fantasy Character Creation Contest For A6 Engi - 07/23/05 22:37

Quote:

what's the point of modeling the kill bill character for this contest? it won't be useable... maybe i didn't get the idea of this contest but i think the polygon limit should be < 3000 and why isn't animation a necessity? how can a non-animated character replace the ones which come with 3dgs?

Well the rules were clearly stated before the contest commenced. However, there may be slight errors along the lines. Yes, the Kill Bill character is not really appropriate. However, the main key issue is that we create a character that is stunning to the rest of forum users. This is why we need to try as hard as we can to convince them of our abilities and strengths within our work. This is exactly why the contest duration is 2 weeks. The polycount is mainly a guideline but we are looking for quality amongst engine performance too. Obviously, performance is an important factor but quality is also vital because we need to really jaw drop everyone with our models. Imputting these finished models into the engine is optional for the winner. We are also looking into the possibility that conitec could transfer written permission to get the more older models replaced by our updated models. This is one thing I thought when I first bought 3DGS. I thought that the models looked very old (no offence to the makers though).

We will see what happens. I was going to model Yoshimitsu from Tekken but I knew it wouldn't fit the criteria of the contest . Unfortunately, Uma Thurman doesn't really fit into the fantasy genre and there are copyright laws issued. However, from the words of 'Anne Robinson': It's votes that count .

Also, I should have said in my 1st post:

Any violation of the contest rules may enable forum users to dismiss their vote for the contestant if they wish.

So basically, for instance, if I decided to create a character will 10k triangles, you are entitled to not vote for me because I didn't follow the rules.

Also, at the end of the contest, each contestant must submit their specifications of the model as accurately as possible.

By the way, if the winning contestant can't animate and their model is accepted for the A6 engine by Conitec, you may ask someone to animate it for you if anybody is willing to.

Re: Fantasy Character Creation Contest For A6 Engi - 07/24/05 03:53

... creating models with out a sketch or a concept is a pain in the a$$.... i have had a million ideas.. tried 3 of them.. and give up :P
first i had a crazy idea of a tree goblin like guy... that had a stick for a weapon and a wooden shield... but when i tried drawing it in photoshop... i instantly knew that it wont be good (i can hardly draw a proper stick figure..) and since my drawing stunk.. the model did too....some how i ended up with 4 roots/feet.... and welll i scrapped it... than ahd some other idea i cant remember.. and now i started a elf fighter dude.. but well... same story as above....
any who.. to the point, any one know a good site to get ideas... or even actual concept art?

Re: Fantasy Character Creation Contest For A6 Engi - 07/24/05 05:31

Hi VPrime there's a site with loads of artwork called elfwood. Also the CGTalk site has alot of art, not sure but the people on both sites seem pretty cool, if you think you need permission.
Posted By: Towelie

Re: Fantasy Character Creation Contest For A6 Engi - 07/24/05 05:54

I have a concept but am still pretty newbish in modelling humans, but hey I got time... maybe I'll give it a shot.

Does "fantasy" mean he will have to be in the medival ages? Xocles (sorry if I spelled your name wrong which I think I did but I'm too lazy to go back and recheck spelling ) isnt exactly medival...

Re: Fantasy Character Creation Contest For A6 Engi - 07/24/05 09:57

VPrime, you can also check out www.conceptart.org.

Re: Fantasy Character Creation Contest For A6 Engi - 07/24/05 10:00

every1's doing really well but im not sure how these would replace the guard and the wizard model =) by the way the link should be www.conceptart.org Sjoerd added an extra period

Re: Fantasy Character Creation Contest For A6 Engi - 07/24/05 10:39

@Sjoerd, ps. ik kom uit Culemborg ^^ ergens onder Utrecht :P

@Bilbo_Bogimps, hehe. same question of me. how should it replace? wizard and guard can be used in other styles. Fantasy fits in Fantasy ... :P maybe not replace but just add?

@Towelie, If u just post some geometry of the model we can help out alot! U think I do this 5 days? Not really... I model since 4 years or so. got no help from others. but pushed myself and if u get help on stuff u can do the same in 1 year I bet!

Oh and I just woke up (A) so uhmm... will try to finish the model and add some other extra things like earrings and stuff:P

-Jeroen

Re: Fantasy Character Creation Contest For A6 Engi - 07/24/05 12:41

Welcome aboard Towelie . Yea, the main point of this contest is to compete with the Korean artist (Thread in morbius). However, non of us are there yet. We'll see what people have done in 5 days time. I'm trying out some skinning/ texturing later. By the way, I scanned some really high res textures so look out for my thread later on in the user contributions section. .

Re: Fantasy Character Creation Contest For A6 Engi - 07/24/05 13:25

Update:

C&C plz

-Jeroen

Re: Fantasy Character Creation Contest For A6 Engi - 07/24/05 13:28

Crap, didnt realize we only had 5 more days. I'm out lol, I wont have enough time. Oh well, next time theres a chaacter contest you'll all be blown away

Re: Fantasy Character Creation Contest For A6 Engi - 07/24/05 15:33

I thought there were 11 more days?

Re: Fantasy Character Creation Contest For A6 Engi - 07/24/05 15:50

Guys you misunderstood me lol. Yes we do have 11 more days. I just meant that in say around 5 more days which is quite a bit of time, it will be interesting to see what people have done.

The contest ends on the 5th August 2005 . Sorry for the confusion.

@Scary_man: I really can't believe the progress you've made on this model. To be honest, when I first saw the 1st screenshot of it 3 or 4 days ago, I thought, this guy's got no chance lol . But, I was totally wrong.

Ok, I should have another picture today of my work. Just to let you know I have nearly 200 WIP MAX files on my hdd. I never overwrite my files. I use 'save as' because it's much safer incase you need to start back to an earlier date. Also, I can see my work in steps right up to the finished model!

Re: Fantasy Character Creation Contest For A6 Engi - 07/24/05 16:52

@Toz: hehe. thx ^^. I have still 1000 poly's to use left... think i'll unwrap tomorrow

:P good thing we have till 5th of August.

-Jeroen

Re: Fantasy Character Creation Contest For A6 Engi - 07/24/05 17:04

Ok my last update on mesh

3600 poly's and about to Unwrap tomorrow

Added Sword :P

-Jeroen

Re: Fantasy Character Creation Contest For A6 Engi - 07/24/05 17:08

Quote:

I have still 1000 poly's to use left

If I were you, I'd use them. But use them wisely.

Quick update once again from me:

As you can see I scrapped the torso area and started to redo this. The head is about finished. Just need to reduce some polys on this as there may be some unnecessary ones hiding in the shadows . I might add some more geometry for an eye coming out through the hole you can see. At the end of the model I will look around for bad tri stripping etc. Polycount in tris for everything you can see in the picture is 1,200. Going for an hour. Going to do some keyboarding work. I'll spend some more hours tonight. Later .

P.S. Anyone think the shin area needs scaling a bit? Looks a bit too thin to me in circumference. Is head too thin too from the side?

Quote:

Does anybody have any idea why Xcelos posted this? I can't make out why he would post this lol!!

Re: Fantasy Character Creation Contest For A6 Engi - 07/24/05 17:38

Quote:

Quote:

Does anybody have any idea why Xcelos posted this? I can't make out why he would post this lol!!

He posted it cause I was interested
this is how we fix shapes. by editing the edgeloops and meshflows
just look at some of mine. they are way diffrent!

-Jeroen

Re: Fantasy Character Creation Contest For A6 Engi - 07/24/05 17:48

the reason why i'm not doing a fantasy model is that i started before the contest started and i thought the only goal of the contest is to reach the level of this corean artist.

my problem is that i always want to texture the model while the geometry isn't finished but i can't stop texturing is so much fun. yes i used some fotos but the textures are mostly painted i'll post the skin too when it's done. btw the back isn't textured yet

Re: Fantasy Character Creation Contest For A6 Engi - 07/24/05 19:35

Quote:

this is how we fix shapes. by editing the edgeloops and meshflows

Probably because he used extrusion throughout the model.

Re: Fantasy Character Creation Contest For A6 Engi - 07/24/05 19:53

i used a mix of splinecage modeling and polymodeling/extrusion

Re: Fantasy Character Creation Contest For A6 Engi - 07/24/05 19:58

I was talking about your dinghy boat, not your 'none' fantasy character lol .

Re: Fantasy Character Creation Contest For A6 Engi - 07/24/05 20:12

well... i guess im out... i have yet to find a decent idea...soo given that the time left.. ill never finish a model... and uvmap it intime...

Re: Fantasy Character Creation Contest For A6 Engi - 07/24/05 21:17

Sorry to hear that VPrime. There is still time. Thing is though, I don't know how much time you have per day. I spend about 4-5 hours per day doing this because I don't do anything else . Oh well, maybe next time you might have better luck . I'm sure I'll be doing this sort of thing again. It's been really good because it's made me put more effort into this because I know I'm competing with other people. When I do it for fun, I normally don't bother and become careless. However, I know that it has to be good or else, I'll be a gonner lol . Oh well, keep checking back will you to see who the lucky winner will be .

Re: Fantasy Character Creation Contest For A6 Engi - 07/25/05 05:42

Hi again, here are some screens of progress so far. As you can see no head yet and it needs some refining here and there. Any useful critique welcome.

I hope to see more of other peoples work. This has been fun for me since I usually take much longer on my modeling.

I'm using Med to model Alias SketchBook for artwork 1520 polys thus far.

If anyone wants to use my refernce pictures to join in, feel free.

Re: Fantasy Character Creation Contest For A6 Engi - 07/25/05 07:42

good start guardian maybe feet are lil big

Re: Fantasy Character Creation Contest For A6 Engi - 07/25/05 08:32

Good call xcelos rechecked some ref pictures, made some changes.

Re: Fantasy Character Creation Contest For A6 Engi - 07/25/05 09:37

hmm maybe lower the hips a bit and she has a really big ass in my opinion

Re: Fantasy Character Creation Contest For A6 Engi - 07/25/05 12:22

Yes guardian. really nice start!

I remember following your tutorials on making a 3dgs game a long time ago ^^
let's see if i can beat my teacher XD

I agree with xcelos. smaller hips. just use scale a little.
maybe a closeup to the hands? (A)
Hands are the hardest part of a humandroid on my opinion

-Jeroen

Re: Fantasy Character Creation Contest For A6 Engi - 07/25/05 13:50

Update:

Im done with the UVMapping of the whole model.

at 3600 poly's won't add things because it smooths but also slowers down engine
while it can have the same shape. so I keep 3600

The UVmap will be 1024^2

also the eye is moveable

-Jeroen

Re: Fantasy Character Creation Contest For A6 Engi - 07/25/05 16:37

Yep, nice start Guardian. Looking good.

Really cool unwrapping you have there scary_man. I fear this will be the hardest part for me. Oh well. I can only try.

I'll update you guys later on what I've done.

Re: Fantasy Character Creation Contest For A6 Engi - 07/25/05 18:20

@Scary Man, you are scary man thats some nice UV mapping work on such a complex little model. How have you done so much detail in such a short time. Very impressive so far.

http://home.att.net/~arcfire/mhand.jpg
///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
@xcelos

You may be right about her rear end and hips, but I think the real problem is with her skirt.

It's to big and to high on the waist, I'll see what I can do and post some new screens in a couple of days.

Guardian

Re: Fantasy Character Creation Contest For A6 Engi - 07/25/05 18:21

thx

@guardian: check this paintover I did

torso was to short

-Jeroen

Re: Fantasy Character Creation Contest For A6 Engi - 07/26/05 18:08

Where are you all today? lol

Update from me (Still got to do neck and refine certain areas):

Remember, trousers are meant to be baggy which will appear correct when skinned.
Comments welcome. Cheers guys . Hope everyone is still doing well.

Re: Fantasy Character Creation Contest For A6 Engi - 07/26/05 20:01

You have a weird character Toz, I would love to see it textured. How many polys have you used?

I have an update too, I was busy last days, so I haven't been able to work on my character a lot. I don't think I am going to finish it in time , cause I am going on holidays tomorrow for a week .
My character weighs in at 2118 tris at the moment.
I know the hands use way too many polys, so that will need some optimizing. The butt probably also needs some optimization. I just started with the head, after that I have to model the neck and the feet.
I know, not much in this show, but I thought it was good to update before I go on holidays.

I still have to refine the back and other areas. Here are the pics:

See you next week. Bye
Posted By: Machinery_Frank

Re: Fantasy Character Creation Contest For A6 Engi - 07/27/05 08:33

Hi Mates,

I struggle very hard to join the contest but I really have no time currently. My son is on a visit and I have to look after him. Besides that I have some work to do.

But I will follow your example later and will create a nice fantasy / sci-fi girl to replace the old cbabe model and to create another fantasy girl. I want to create 2 different skins for the model (fantasy and sci-fi). And I want to include all the A6 animations. That will be for practicing and comparing to your work. But I will finish that later this month.

Best regards,
Frank
Posted By: Gafgar

Re: Fantasy Character Creation Contest For A6 Engine!! - 07/27/05 12:54

Ok... many have probably been seeing this model before...

This model does only have 1504 faces... with other words i can nearly triple the details on it and ad some stuff like weapons... this sounds really fun .. 4500faces is a high value.. ^^
and paint a more detailed 1024x512 skin.. as i always liked to have
any comments on what details you would like to see?

Re: Fantasy Character Creation Contest For A6 Engine!! - 07/27/05 14:50

weapons! lots of em, like throwing stars knives ect
Posted By: Bird

Re: Fantasy Character Creation Contest For A6 Engine!! - 07/27/05 15:14

oh, yeah, a fantasy model should have a really cool fantasy weapon
just one idea: chackram (chakram, chackrum, chakrum.. search in Google )

Re: Fantasy Character Creation Contest For A6 Engine!! - 07/27/05 17:01

Hey Gafgar, want some weapon ideas? Check this link:

http://www.graphicintentions.icestormgames.com/www/lpweapons.html

. Sorry I can't let you have the models but they were made for a client (as stated at the bottom of the page).

Quote:

You have a weird character Toz, I would love to see it textured. How many polys have you used?

Lol, I've used around 3000 tris but there were probably about 2500 in the above image because I've added some stuff to it.

EDIT: Model is finished. Undergoing texturing phase. Update soon ... By the way, where are you all? Xcelos has done a disappearing act and also, Guardian is missing. Also, Scary_man is not here. . A sad face for all of you . Maybe you're all just dead busy doing the model;)!!

Re: Fantasy Character Creation Contest For A6 Engine!! - 07/27/05 23:35

my girlfriend stays here for a couple of days so i have no time for modeling or doing some updates.

Re: Fantasy Character Creation Contest For A6 Engine!! - 07/28/05 09:54

Curse your girlfriend! lol just kidding

I'll be staying at a friend for a couple of days. hope im back befoooore 3rd of Aug so i can texture some more.

have to go to the hostpital in 3 hours so im not in the mood of texturing now :P
after that i'll be staying at a friend.

-Jeroen
Posted By: FoxZero

Re: Fantasy Character Creation Contest For A6 Engine!! - 07/30/05 01:12

I'd love to participate in this contest, but I suck at modeling. I got a really good charactor concept to replace the hero model. I got a cheap skin done and a description, and a low poly version. I'm still waiting for my friend to draw me some concept art. Maybe I'll do that myself and post it here. This charactor is much more viscios looking than hero. Maybe I'll get something done, but I'm giving him a minigun instead of an old shotgun lol.

Re: Fantasy Character Creation Contest For A6 Engine!! - 07/31/05 21:43

UVMap:

As you can see, I've tried hard to fill every available pixel lol .

The skin will be 1024X512 by the way and will have the possibility to be reduced if needed/ required .

Any comments welcome if you have any .

By the way, I have accumulated 480 WIP files!!!!

Re: Fantasy Character Creation Contest For A6 Engine!! - 08/01/05 10:18

@Toz: it's kinda useless making it 512x1024 cause the file has the same size as 1024^2 (at least that's what me is told) but also nice uvmap would be hard skinning like this

got some progress on my skinning, the face is still hard to texture and i'll make the texture 512^2 at the end

http://www.aj-artstudios.nl/portfolio/Fantasy/skin_progress3.jpg

-Jeroen

Re: Fantasy Character Creation Contest For A6 Engine!! - 08/01/05 12:21

nice work for all, but toz are you planning to scale it to 512 in the x direction afterwards? because it looks a lil stretched to me

Re: Fantasy Character Creation Contest For A6 Engine!! - 08/01/05 12:31

oh also, toz

If I take a look at your UV mesh...
some things are overscaled ?
like the hands and what is the part on the left bottom? :S
try something like a Checker to see what needs some scaling.
and some hands have their wrists on it and the other don't :S
and some parts are overlapping eachother
I suggest u use a 1024^2 size and try to make the uvmesh perfect

update:
http://www.aj-artstudios.nl/portfolio/Fantasy/skin_progress5.jpg

-Jeroen

Re: Fantasy Character Creation Contest For A6 Engine!! - 08/01/05 13:04

Cheers both of you.

Quote:

it's kinda useless making it 512x1024 cause the file has the same size as 1024^2 (at least that's what me is told)

You've been told wrong then. As long as it's a multiple of 2 or whatever it is .

Yea, the skinning was hard. Really took a while to get this sorted and layed out like this. This is what I would call 'proper' skinning because there are people that don't bother going to all that trouble because they'd rather project 1 planared angle and have the textures all blurry and stretched.

Regarding the scaling: I may go back and redo a bit. The glove that is apparently 'overscaled' is because this is the front part of the glove, not the back. To be honest, I just did it to fill the gap lol. I'll go back and relook.

Thanks for comments.

@Scary_man: Not being nasty but those textures look way too cartoony. If you're applying a 32x32 map then I can understand it lol . Maybe you're beuilding the textures up in layers so it will only look like that for now, I don't know. Tell us!! . Again, please don't hate me .

Nice to see you both make a return .

Re: Fantasy Character Creation Contest For A6 Engine!! - 08/01/05 13:26

@Toz: might be becuz of the blurred render :P
I'll show my skin so far in a second.
and these are base colours, hope u heard of those
im still adding veins on the face and as this is fantasy
a realistic face isn't needed for mine :P
the cartoony part. yes i can see it aswell but still:P it's not done in a long shot!

Re: Fantasy Character Creation Contest For A6 Engine!! - 08/01/05 13:32

Oh yea, I kinda presumed they were base colours. I know people use them but I don't really use them myself, not gradients/ basic shades anyway.

Looking forward to see your map again.

Be back later though.

Re: Fantasy Character Creation Contest For A6 Engine!! - 08/01/05 14:29

Update again
http://www.aj-artstudios.nl/portfolio/Fantasy/skin_progress7.jpg

and the map for now (300x300 isn't the full size)
http://www.aj-artstudios.nl/portfolio/Fantasy/map_small.jpg

-Jeroen

Re: Fantasy Character Creation Contest For A6 Engine!! - 08/01/05 17:23

Awesome stuff. Infact it looks pretty much like a commercial game character. I love the style too. I swear, I didn't expect it turning out this good. However, it will be interesting to see how it looks without rendering it .

By the way, anybody want some extra time?

Re: Fantasy Character Creation Contest For A6 Engine!! - 08/01/05 18:09

If u change the contest like adding Animations (standard)
Walk, Run, Walk, Pose, Crouch, Attack, Die, Hit, Jump, Swim
then u might wanna change the deadline
Also as mensioned before. Why should conitec replace standard animated
models for models who look good but are standing dummies?

I think u might wanna add this animating part aswell.

@toz: Thx
as requested: 3dgs version (3dgs Extra version 6.31 no shaders)
http://www.aj-artstudios.nl/portfolio/Fantasy/3dgs_version.jpg

-Jeroen

Re: Fantasy Character Creation Contest For A6 Engine!! - 08/01/05 18:18

Quote:

If u change the contest like adding Animations (standard)
Walk, Run, Walk, Pose, Crouch, Attack, Die, Hit, Jump, Swim
then u might wanna change the deadline
Also as mensioned before. Why should conitec replace standard animated
models for models who look good but are standing dummies?

I think u might wanna add this animating part aswell.

Problem is, not everyone can animate. Also, this contest is to test your character modelling abilities, not how well you can animate. It's a good idea but we'll leave the deadline the way it is and have no animation lol. Therefore, we'll forget about adding them to A6 to replace the original models because you're right, noone wants dummies and we can't have them like that. So basically, to clarify, we are making a fully built, textured fantasy character for 5th August . I'm going to have to slip my skates on lol .

On 5th August, we'll let people submit their work from about 3 different angles. When EVERYONE has submitted, we will let the voting commence. However, we will wait for everyone but we can't wait forever . Let's just say, if you submit your model on 6th August, you will be too late because the voting will start before then. We'll see how it goes anyway and update this information then.

Well, I'm going to texture my model.

Bye bye guys and have tonnes of fun .

Re: Fantasy Character Creation Contest For A6 Engine!! - 08/01/05 20:02

and the winner gets? (A)
Honour? :P Respect? Advertisement to his portfolio ?
interview? money? :P sorry im just curious

-Jeroen

Re: Fantasy Character Creation Contest For A6 Engine!! - 08/01/05 22:00

Quote:

and the winner gets? (A)
Honour? :P Respect? Advertisement to his portfolio ?
interview? money? :P sorry im just curious

Money ... Not really . I guess it will earn you pride. This will enable you to make more models because you will feel so good !!

The losers will still be respected by the community for their hard work and effort in this lengthy project.

By the way, i had no time today for doing anything. I might not get it finished but it's not anyones fault. If it's not done, I'll have to miss out.

Re: Fantasy Character Creation Contest For A6 Engine!! - 08/01/05 22:12

just work hard there Toz! U got the whole community behind you!
just push push push and stop gaming!

-Jeroen

Re: Fantasy Character Creation Contest For A6 Engine!! - 08/02/05 13:55

I've not played on GTA SA for yonks (a long time) now. However, I will try hard today and see what I can do. I've not made a dent in the texturing yet .

Hey Scary_man I really love your model! It reminds me of someone from Tekken. Maybe the dark clothing. It's really looking nice. Hopefully, I mine will just as good, if not, better!!

EDIT: Update: (top waist is not finished yet)

Well, I've made a start . Thoughts welcome. By the way there are no joins. The texture is my own (I scanned one of my mum's handbags . Well we're actually selling her handbag on ebay so it's not really hers). Sorry for JPG compression. The UVMap is now 1024x1024.

Re: Fantasy Character Creation Contest For A6 Engine!! - 08/02/05 18:13

Looks great!

Hope your moms bag sells :P or not! cause u might screw it up and u got no bag to scan :P lol

-Jeroen

Re: Fantasy Character Creation Contest For A6 Engine!! - 08/02/05 18:31

Ok I think im kinda done so here is my last post for now I think

http://www.aj-artstudios.nl/portfolio/Fantasy/Rio_preview.jpg

-Good luck all of you

Re: Fantasy Character Creation Contest For A6 Engine!! - 08/02/05 21:12

Top stuff scary_man (I just can't stop saying it lol). However, I will be very surprised if I get mine finished. The painting is really hard. I knew this would be the hardest part. I'm trying though. Anyway, good luck to everyone else. Votes will start in just under 3 days as planned.

Re: Fantasy Character Creation Contest For A6 Engine!! - 08/03/05 00:20

Hi guys, here are some screens of my model. I have been working an a tga for the hair but its not as easy as it once was in A5. Some of these most of these pics are of the 512x512 skin there is a 1024x1024 skin. Used in the Med shots.

I was thinking about using one of my old skeletons for animation but that will have to wait I think I am done for now with this.

This contest has be fun, even though I had to work twice as quick as usual and take some short cuts. Even so, I think my modeling has improved from it.

Good luck to all others as you all have shown some nice work. I especially like scarymans, and Toz's work for the more complex model geometery.

Let me know what you think about my model there is still much to do on it if I can find the time.

Med was used to Model, the free version of LithUnwrap did about half the unwrapping, and Jasc PaintShop Pro 7 for painting the skin.

Talk to you all later got to run.

Here's a in Wed closeup of the face, 512x512 skin including my tga problems, if you want to take a look.
http://home.att.net/~arcfire/muffinclose.jpg

Re: Fantasy Character Creation Contest For A6 Engi - 08/03/05 06:04

great work guys..
scary_man i think your folds on your cloths need a little work, they look nice.. but i think from the model it self the pants should have longer "drooping" folds... i dont know if this makes sence?

hmmm next modelling contest ideas... zombies any one?

Re: Fantasy Character Creation Contest For A6 Engi - 08/03/05 09:48

@VPrime: I know what u mean. I got some critics on the CGTalk forums so I'm still fixing some proportions of the model itself. also the part where the clothes go behind the belt are a little strange and fixed that allready.
and I know the clothes like the trousers look a little strange.
I still got 3 days to fix!

@Guardian: her eyebrows are a little.... high and too much ^ like also. her eyes look like she took drugs the colours of the lips should be a little less red. maybe try brushing the skin colour with 25% opacity on the lips? next to this, looks great!

@Toz: Come on You will make it! just use base colours so u don't get 3 diffrent colours on every bodypart ^^

-Jeroen

Re: Fantasy Character Creation Contest For A6 Engi - 08/03/05 15:20

@Guardian: Try having the hair as a separate mdl because if it's not, the model will encounter z buffer problems. Maybe that's what it#s done to the hair. Model looks good though.

@VPrime:
Quote:

hmmm next modelling contest ideas... zombies any one?

Steady now lol. I've not even finished this one yet .

@Scary_man: I don't use base colors . I'm not into the cartoony look which is unfortunate because painting with photographic images are much more difficult. Maybe I'm trying to run before I can walk with texturing but I'm prepared to go to any length to expose the realistic look if I can . Thanks for your support. I really like this. It sparks me into action when I know I've got people aside me. I'm aside you too.

Quote:

Hope your moms bag sells :P or not! cause u might screw it up and u got no bag to scan :P lol

lol thanks . Luckily, I never ever overwrite any files which I believe is very wise

Re: Fantasy Character Creation Contest For A6 Engi - 08/03/05 15:26

Sighs.... Ive been busy as 4377 ... Havent done anything really at all on my model reworked the hands and cleaned them up a bit.... and attempted to add some more detail to his body. Still no head or feet. So looks like i wont be finishing in time... tho if i do get a chance ill post my results here either way. Great work everyone. They all seem to be turning out very well
Posted By: RJDL

Re: Fantasy Character Creation Contest For A6 Engi - 08/03/05 15:27

looks really great guys!
keep going!

Re: Fantasy Character Creation Contest For A6 Engi - 08/03/05 17:03

We should bet on whos gonna win heehee...

Re: Fantasy Character Creation Contest For A6 Engi - 08/03/05 17:38

Quote:

We should bet on whos gonna win heehee...

Well it won't be me that's for sure. ok here's an update:

(Sorry for bad jpg compression. I saved in paint .)

Ok, just wanted to let you all know I'm quitting. I won't get it finished on time anyway. It's not turning out as I wanted because my imagination sucks. I knew when I started it wouldn't work. To be honest, I'd feel more bitter if I carried on because I hate wasting time on something that isn't worth it. I don't like giving up on things but on this occasion, I just know what will happen. Good luck to you all. I'll still come back and start the poll for you on 5th.

*sighs... Life sucks .*

Re: Fantasy Character Creation Contest For A6 Engi - 08/03/05 18:17

Awwwwwww, Come on dont quit. Its really looking good. I think youve done a darn good job on the skinning. Just hang in there i got faith in you even if you dont get it in on time still better then giving up

Re: Fantasy Character Creation Contest For A6 Engi - 08/03/05 18:17

Why quit now Toz? Your almost done. Why let all the time you put into the be a waste of time. Just get done what you can and submit it.

Re: Fantasy Character Creation Contest For A6 Engi - 08/03/05 18:50

Cmon Toz, your model doesnt suck. I believe in you Toz!

Re: Fantasy Character Creation Contest For A6 Engi - 08/03/05 19:13

Your nearly as far along as anyone Toz, the mapping/skinning can be the hardest part just hang in there. I think your modeling of the hands arms legs and feet are the best so far. Just show us some ref pics of what you were going for maybe we can help.

Re: Fantasy Character Creation Contest For A6 Engi - 08/03/05 21:20

Toz!! don't make me mad! don't give up !
You can make it!
add me on msn and we can have a 1 on 1 chat !!
hoolmans@aj-artstudios.nl

-Jeroen

Re: Fantasy Character Creation Contest For A6 Engi - 08/03/05 23:14

I suppose the final conclusion unfolds: I will not give up . I guess I did say that the day the contest started as stated in the rules. I'm really pleased by the warm comments that have been sent my way. It's really nice to feel wanted. But yes, I didn't want to let anyone down. Also, I really wanted to make this model become a success. I've just become under slight pressure because I've been producing a song that I have spent over a week working on. However, I cannot let this interfere with our contest.

Just to let everyone know, I will stick with it. I will get as much as I can done tomorrow (4th) and also the 5th because we will still have time left on that day.

I need to make this official:

Submission of final screenshots will close at 7pm (UK time). Are Germany and Netherlands 1 hour ahead? Please ensure that you meet this deadline. As soon as it's 7pm uk time, I will start a poll and wait until the votes start flooding in. If needs be, I will alert the Morbius' section to obtain user's attention . Howeverm if anyone feels this isn't fair, let me know immediately. I will try to put the situation right .

You've all been very good and helpful. God bless you all.

Scary_man: I would love to add you at MSN . Unfortunately, I'm not very fond of msn and do not have this installed, let alone have an account . Do you have yahoo messenger though ? I would really like to add you .

I will try my hardest to see what I can get done on time. Whatever I have, I will submit it . I really am deeply touched by your support, Feihongjr, FoxZero, Guardian, Scary_man and Towelie .

Re: Fantasy Character Creation Contest For A6 Engi - 08/03/05 23:17

Yay for not giving up, cant wait to see the finished model! Cant wait to vote!

Re: Fantasy Character Creation Contest For A6 Engi - 08/03/05 23:43

Thanks for sticking with it Toz. Your model is getting better and better. Unfortunatly I have nothing done for this contest. I wanted to work on my muscle car project instead. I myself have been trying to finish a song. The guitar parts have been finished for weeks, but I have no drums and very few lyrics. I haven't goten my bass amp yet so I can't come up with the bass solo. Tomorrow I will try and post concept art of my hero replacement model. I can't wait for the voting to start!

[Edit]
I give you 5 stars for sticking with this!

Re: Fantasy Character Creation Contest For A6 Engi - 08/04/05 09:32

I got back from holidays yesterday, it was fun except all the rain and all the wind. Our tent collapsed twice . One day there was about 30 cm of rain in the lower areas of the camp-site.
I am not going to finish my model in time. So I quit this contest.
When I finish my model I will post it here.

Re: Fantasy Character Creation Contest For A6 Engi - 08/04/05 10:07

Sjoerd: Jammer van je vakantie man! volgende keer beter. er komt nog een volgende model wedstrijd dus dan heb je weer kans;)

Toz: Yea man! good job:D here is my Yahoo ID thingy: sonicwave1988
5 stars for you!

I will submit my latest screens through Yahoo is that ok?
-Jeroen

Re: Fantasy Character Creation Contest For A6 Engi - 08/04/05 13:16

Ok with everything fixed and editted.
This is the final Rio model

-Jeroen
Posted By: Ambassador

Re: Fantasy Character Creation Contest For A6 Engi - 08/04/05 13:46

Very nice scary_man! Only crit is that her legs are unnaturally little... but maybe you meant it that way

Re: Fantasy Character Creation Contest For A6 Engi - 08/04/05 15:02

Thats a she? I cant tell what it is...
Posted By: nuclear_winter

Re: Fantasy Character Creation Contest For A6 Engi - 08/04/05 15:49

I've been here since the beginning of A5 and almost never posted any of my work (not that you've missed anything). Well, here is a little something i want to brag about , its a character that will appear in one of the known 3DGS titles expected approximately end of this year. Concept, model, unwrap, skin, animation - me .
MDL is 3155 polys, skin is 1024X1024.
The file is a viewer of the model, use the third camera, it gives the only good view of the model geometry. In the viewer the model doesn't show animation... you'll have to play the game to see him in action.

We cant release the model to the community, but i wanted a little shameless promo. I hope i don't upset this thread. download model viewer

Re: Fantasy Character Creation Contest For A6 Engi - 08/04/05 16:19

he has no boobs so it must be a he ain't he?

-Jeroen
Posted By: Machinery_Frank

Re: Fantasy Character Creation Contest For A6 Engi - 08/04/05 16:24

nuclear_winter: You caught my attention. Wow that is a really nice model and a very pro texture. That will be a good looking game.

Re: Fantasy Character Creation Contest For A6 Engi - 08/04/05 17:00

@nuclear_winter: Im not getting the download to start?
u got any shots?

-jeroen

Re: Fantasy Character Creation Contest For A6 Engi - 08/04/05 18:23

I cant post shots at this moment, sorry. Also i don't want to hijack the thread with a model that wont be freely available to the community.
Try this link.

Re: Fantasy Character Creation Contest For A6 Engi - 08/04/05 18:31

sorry nm then. still not working.

-Jeroen
Posted By: FBL

Re: Fantasy Character Creation Contest For A6 Engi - 08/04/05 19:06

Download is working.
The exe does not work, though. It keeps complaining I should isntall DX 9.0c, which is installed

However I tried opening the exe with a packer and was able to see some sort of title screen png.

Btw. no need to hide the game name ... bbr_viewer3.exe says everything

Re: Fantasy Character Creation Contest For A6 Engi - 08/04/05 20:44

Worked fine for me, very nice model impressive terrain. Now if I could just figure out how to win the BBR demo then I'd be happy.

Re: Fantasy Character Creation Contest For A6 Engi - 08/04/05 21:38

Hi guys I updated my model change the head shape a little and changed or repainted the skin on the face. Let me know what you think of the changes.

Guardian

Here are the screenys.

Hi res skin 1024x1024 modeled in Med textured in Jasc Paint Shop Pro, skinned in LithUnwrap and Med. Final Model Properties 2974 faces.

Re: Fantasy Character Creation Contest For A6 Engi - 08/05/05 08:13

@nuclear_winter: It works fine now hehe... stupid Windows :P really nice model. can't imagine y it is 1024^2 ?

@guardian: really nice !!
still her lips. could make is smoother? the shadows on the lips need some work.
Try adding some shadows on the face.

-Jeroen

Re: Fantasy Character Creation Contest For A6 Engi - 08/05/05 18:00

Hello again everyone . Sorry I've been away for the past 2 days. I've been really really busy with the model . Spent a solid day yesterday and also spent some more time today. I'm pleased to say it's all finished now due to all you supportive people. You've all been marvellous contestants and ytou've stuck with it yourselves which is something to be honoured by (whether you win or not ). Thank you so much to the 3 people that rated me. I also rated you 5 stars for your kind heartedness and enthusiasm towards the contest. I must admit, I'm glad I didn't quit now because it's not the right thing to do. Well, regarding the model, I've done what I could and tried as hard as I could on the painting. That part was really tricky. That's why, over the next two weeks, I think I'm going to start some painting exercises to improve this. Anyway, I won't ramble on , let's get on with the contest , well, what's left of the contest .

Toz' contribution:

Model has 2922 faces and has a skin size of 1024*1024. Modelled in 3DS MAX 6 and painted with Ulead Photo Express.

So, now, I think we have all of the contestant's entries. Everyone;s done very good work and made tonnes of effort. This is good practice for all of us in the field of fantasy charcter creation .

@Guardian: Really nice sparkling eyes on your model. Well done!
@Scary_man: Lovely gothic style. Well done to you too!

Have I missed anyone? I apologise if I have.

Well, I'm just going to get a cup of tea. In 5-10 mintutes, we'll start a poll. If anyone is here, could you please tell me how long the poll should be? I was thinking 2 days. Be back in a few minutes .

Re: Fantasy Character Creation Contest For A6 Engi - 08/05/05 18:11

Quote:

can't imagine y it is 1024^2

Thanx alot for the comments

here is the skin (its hand drawn)

Re: Fantasy Character Creation Contest For A6 Engi - 08/05/05 18:18

Really nice painted skin Nuclear_winter. I'm pleased you showed us your model because it does fit into the fantasy genre anyway. However, this isn't a model you were planning on submitting into the contest is it?

By the way, does anyone know whether Gafgar meant to join by submitting his ninja? I really don't want to start the poll until we're all sure about who is entered. Thanks.

Please Note: To be a contestant, you should only be entered if you've made a model specifically for the contest. Submitting a model you've not intentionally made for the contest isn't acceptable I'm afraid. Am I being reasonable everyone? Tell me what you think .

Re: Fantasy Character Creation Contest For A6 Engi - 08/05/05 20:10

Ok so where is this poll ?
I thought it would be made at 7 PM GMT
anyway you got my entry
u might wanna show all the models in the poll
http://www.aj-artstudios.nl/portfolio/Fantasy/Rio_preview2.jpg is mine.

Edit: sry forgot about you nuclear :$
Really nice texture! I thought the shading was part of the cellshading :P so that's y i couldn't imagine 1024^2

-Jeroen

Re: Fantasy Character Creation Contest For A6 Engi - 08/05/05 20:15

I said it earlier, but maybe i wasn't clear enough:
I don't want to enter the contest, when i saw your cool entries, i felt like showing off, thats all
I'm glad you liked the model and the texture, in the game there are more than two dozen diverse characters, both good and evil

Re: Fantasy Character Creation Contest For A6 Engi - 08/05/05 20:24

I can't wait to see the game done!!
also... why did u mark your skin texture?
nobody would be able to use it anyway right?
only texture like stone patterns would be usefull after stealing :P

-Jeroen

Re: Fantasy Character Creation Contest For A6 Engi - 08/05/05 21:10

There was nobody replying so couldn't proceed. Anyway, here is the poll. Good luck.

Guardian's model: 1024*1024 & 2974 Faces

Additional Screenshot 2

Additional Screenshot 3

scary_man's model: 1024*1024 & 3598 Faces

Toz' model: 1024*1024 & 2922 Faces

In the poll, it should be Which user's model ... Just a small mistake. Sorry, it's been a long day .

The winner will be officially announced on: Sun Aug 07 2005 at 05:00 PM.

Re: Fantasy Character Creation Contest For A6 Engi - 08/06/05 01:57

OK. I submitted my vote! Pity I had nothing done for this contest. All your models were brillient! Toz I'm glad you stuck with this towards the end because your model is very impressive. I'm not telling who I voted for. This was an awesome contest. Best idea so far. How 'bout a car modeling contest next? LOL

Re: Fantasy Character Creation Contest For A6 Engi - 08/06/05 02:54

This was fun guys good luck to all. Modeling cars sounds good to me too.

Guardian

Re: Fantasy Character Creation Contest For A6 Engi - 08/06/05 04:38

I have to admit, I voted for the person I thought deserved it best for originality and looks. Sorry to the other two, but it doesnt look like I should be Whoever wins the contest, you guys still all rock!

OT: I vote car contest!
Posted By: ISG

Re: Fantasy Character Creation Contest For A6 Engi - 08/06/05 05:50

Ok so let me get this straight, 16 pages and 3 people submitted?

Hmm...odd......

I put my vote in too

Re: Fantasy Character Creation Contest For A6 Engi - 08/06/05 06:18

i voted too...
Also cars woudl be fun... would give me a chacne to actualyl get better at car modelling.. and make a few of my favouriite cars... I was making a Nissan skyline.. but it turend out very bad.. would be fun to make a good.. low poly version

Re: Fantasy Character Creation Contest For A6 Engi - 08/06/05 08:04

Well car modelling..hehe... yea :P I bet I have to skip the next contest then

-Jeroen

Re: Fantasy Character Creation Contest For A6 Engi - 08/06/05 09:53

I voted, congrats to the guys who finished this contest. I don't like the idea of modelling a realistic car very much. Maybe it is more fun to design a cartoony car or a car in the style of Twisted Metal.

Re: Fantasy Character Creation Contest For A6 Engi - 08/06/05 15:49

Quote:

Toz I'm glad you stuck with this towards the end because your model is very impressive.

Many thanks for your kind words there FoxZero . Well I guess a full model is better than half a model . Put I'm just wondering whether to add it to my portfolio or not though. To be honest (please don't think i'm being bigheaded here), I think given the textures and proper refs, I could have improved a lot because I really just had to do this model as I went along . It was hard knowing what to do because I have trouble making things from imagination. Copying something is easier I think.

Hmm, regarding the car contest, it sounds like a good idea but if it starts round about now, I won't be able to join. I am taking a break and doing some tutorials and exercises (if I don't get bored ). I would like to do a car though so if it's in 2 weeks, I guess you could count me in .

Thanks for everyone who is taking part in the voting. We appreciate this very much.

Re: Fantasy Character Creation Contest For A6 Engi - 08/06/05 16:02

I already started on a fictional muscle car loosly based on an old Matchbox car I found. It's only a 180 polys right now but it's looking pretty nice so far. I'll post some Shots of the toy car if anyone else is interested. I'm a noob at modeling so it will be quite some time before I am done. If I were to do the contest I'd allow fictional and real car models, as long as they looked like a car.

[EDIT]: Someone has to model the Toyota RSC concept. It's the coolest SUV ever!

Re: Fantasy Character Creation Contest For A6 Engi - 08/06/05 16:15

Cool stuff Foxzero. You don't waste much time do you?

Hey I was wondering if I could post my mdl of the character so you can see exactly what it's like? That would be nice . Would anyone like to see it?

Re: Fantasy Character Creation Contest For A6 Engi - 08/06/05 16:19

Of coarse! The SS were awesome. It'd be great to see it upclose. Don't worry, I wouldn't use the model in any project if you didn't want me to.

Re: Fantasy Character Creation Contest For A6 Engi - 08/06/05 16:39

Free Fantasy Character MDL7

Posted By: spartan131

Re: Fantasy Character Creation Contest For A6 Engi - 08/06/05 16:46

i voted
Posted By: Pappenheimer

Re: Fantasy Character Creation Contest For A6 Engi - 08/06/05 19:55

Congratulations to the threadstarter and all the participants!

These are all great results! Honestly!

But...

... are they ANIMATED?

What about a contest about (bones) animatons for this models?

Re: Fantasy Character Creation Contest For A6 Engi - 08/06/05 20:05

@Pappenheimer: Yea i could have animate him but wasn't needed in this contest :P
I'd love a contest about animating would be a great exercise ^^
Also. how about a new forum for modelling contests?
I could make one I think... just don't got enough space on my webserver

-Jeroen
Posted By: Pappenheimer

Re: Fantasy Character Creation Contest For A6 Engi - 08/06/05 20:12

Great that you would like to participate in an animation contest!

But, for a modelling contest or two or ...more:D... doesn't do this contest forum the job!

An own forum with an own link etc. is a bit outside the recognition, thias one is 'embedded' in the community where you get audience as much as you like!

Re: Fantasy Character Creation Contest For A6 Engi - 08/06/05 20:17

hmm... I get your point stupid of me

-Jeroen

Re: Fantasy Character Creation Contest For A6 Engi - 08/07/05 16:03

Well the contest has officially ended. Congratulations scary_man for winning!! You are the winner!!! The whole community will respect you for this in their minds .

Well done and thanks for participating.

Re: Fantasy Character Creation Contest For A6 Engi - 08/07/05 17:09

Yay, congrats to scary man! Nice job to all three!

Re: Fantasy Character Creation Contest For A6 Engi - 08/07/05 18:18

Hurray!!
I know a next contest
"Draw a trophy for contest winners for 1st, 2nd and 3rd place (2D)"

-Jeroen

Re: Fantasy Character Creation Contest For A6 Engi - 08/07/05 18:32

Here's my submission then :

All done in Ulead .

lol ok maybe not .

Re: Fantasy Character Creation Contest For A6 Engi - 08/07/05 18:47

hmm :P would be perfect If u had
I was thinking. if somebody wins the latest contest he could put such image in his signature! + Link + info ofcourse

-Jeroen

Re: Fantasy Character Creation Contest For A6 Engi - 08/07/05 23:09

Congratulations scary man. I thought you would be the winner even before I saw your skins very nice work.

Re: Fantasy Character Creation Contest For A6 Engi - 08/08/05 01:43

Congrats Scary Man! You deserve it. And congrats to everyone who participated!

Re: Fantasy Character Creation Contest For A6 Engi - 08/08/05 09:56

Thx alot everyone !

-Jeroen

Re: Fantasy Character Creation Contest For A6 Engi - 08/11/05 02:02

WOW, didnt realize its been so long .... Sighs... Well congrats to you all I like them all. Sucks couldnt participate... had to find a job good news is i got one Btw Toz is part of your skin from your old avatar??? :P LOL

Re: Fantasy Character Creation Contest For A6 Engi - 08/11/05 17:40

Quote:

Btw Toz is part of your skin from your old avatar??? :P LOL

How did you guess Feihongjr? LOL. It really saved me that day
*Toz wipes the sweat off his forehead*

Re: Fantasy Character Creation Contest For A6 Engi - 08/14/05 15:42

Hey Scary_man:

I think you've waited for this long enough

Re: Fantasy Character Creation Contest For A6 Engi - 08/14/05 16:47

:D:D:D omg man! this is so cool!! watch my Signature change!

Edit: Darn... can't use images in signatures!

Re: Fantasy Character Creation Contest For A6 Engi - 08/14/05 17:18

I'm glad you like it lol .

Quote:

Edit: Darn... can't use images in signatures!

I'm not surprised because imagine the bandwidth needed to keep loading up all these images .

Re: Fantasy Character Creation Contest For A6 Engi - 08/14/05 17:19

Don't u outsmart me
seen lots of forums which DO accept it. ;p

-Jeroen

Re: Fantasy Character Creation Contest For A6 Engi - 08/14/05 17:33

Yes! my latest hardest creation!!
My Trophy is finally made of gold!!

-Jeroen

Re: Fantasy Character Creation Contest For A6 Engi - 08/14/05 18:36

LMAO!! Shame you didn't use a chrome shader with HDRI, high levels of specular and gloss, a high resolution reflection map and a crisp rendering output from Brazil R/S in 1024x768 pixels to fit snug as my desktop wallpaper .

And hey scary_man, you could have also made the trophy high poly with 32 segments, chamfered edges and a meshsmooth applied with 3 iterations!!!!

LOL

Nice trophy nevertheless man . And well deserved too .

Re: Fantasy Character Creation Contest For A6 Engi - 08/15/05 08:06

Quote:

And hey scary_man, you could have also made the trophy high poly with 32 segments, chamfered edges and a meshsmooth applied with 3 iterations!!!!

Hm... well this was a low poly modelling contest right? :P i would have smoothed if i was higher poly. u think im lazy?

-Jeroen

Re: Fantasy Character Creation Contest For A6 Engi - 08/15/05 08:46

here comes rolling in scary_man on the excuse cabuse!!:D
© 2024 lite-C Forums