Fantasy Writing Contest -Win Cash and Game!

Posted By: A.Russell

Fantasy Writing Contest -Win Cash and Game! - 05/24/06 11:59

The Dark Castle Fantasty Writing Contest

Firstly, the good bit:

-PRIZES!

***** First Prize *******
US$50 via Paypal or equivalent in online shopping for those without Payplay.

The winner will also be contacted about a job to do writing for the
project. The game wil have four cut-scenes, three endings, and the writer will
also be consulted about world building and quests that lead to each way point in
his or her story.
Note: it might not be the winner who takes the job. If not it will be offered to
the best entrants.

***** All Challengers ******
Everyone who enters gets a free licence for Pachinko a Go Go! strip or regular
edition (depending if toon nudity is legal where you are and for your age)
*provided you make a serious entry

-WICKED! What do I do to win?

Write a very short story, a few paragraphs or half a page or so, for an opening
cut scene for my game concept. Please try to keep it under one page.

-AWESOME! What's it about?

This is a family game for learningEnglish as a second language. It is designed
for a family audience.

-COOL BANANAS! What do I write?

Basis of the story:
The player and her sidekick, the flying weasel are in a garden in an enchanted
forest. The first cut scene will feature the horrible, utterly despicable,
completely evil wizard, who will come into the garden and turn some
cute furry animals into slavering monsters. He will then say something utterly
evil and despicable and run away or disappear. In the garden also is a sign post
with two signs on it. "Eat these mushrooms," and "Don't eat those mushroomS."
Eating the good mushrooms does something to make the player more powerful,
eating the bad ones makes something funny happen, like the player turns blue,
grows donkey ears or is hit by an uncontrallable attack of the giggles.

NOTE: This is a suggestion. If you have a cooler idea, you can write that.

Here's a more complete concept:

As an RPG, it is a single player, 3d ,3rd person game, set in a vibrant fantasy
world. It is a story about good versus evil where you play an intrepid magician
on a quest to save the world. You will need to find your way through the
enchanted forests, searching for clues, collecting magical treasures and talking
to fantastic creatures. Along the way you will avoid perilous traps and battle
the evil forces that oppose you efforts to reach The Dark Castle and defeat the
horrible, utterly despicable, completely evil wizard who dwells within.

The game is set in a world that is a super-future of our own, which was
destroyed somehow by war or natural disaster and after a long long long long
time, re-awakened with humans alongside fantasy creatures like dwarves ,elves,
pixies and so on. In this world, palyers quest for parts of an ancient book that
has magical properties to endow the palyer with greater powers.

A horrible, utterly despicable, completely evil wizard has been turning cute
furry animals into hideous, scary monsters. Parts of the books are guarded by
these monsters. The monsters need to be defeated with magic to turn them back
into furry animals.

Ultimately, the player's quests lead to The Dark Castle, from which the
horrible, utterly despicable, completely evil wizard is making his magic.

The Characters:
Cat girl: "Nyara" Doesn't know much Engish, and is pretty cluless, but she is
cute, fun and a powerful magician.
The flying weasel: Cat girl's familiar, "CUI" Not very strong, but is a
"champion and a scholar" from a famous academy, and he is very knowledgable and
helpful.
The horrible, utterly despicable, completely evil wizard: That's what he is.
Embelish on these.

WHO WINS? The winning entry will ultimately be chosen by me, however it will
also depend on possitive feedback from forum members.

Legal Crap: Authors maintain all rights to stories submitted for this contest.

Contest ends: 18th of June 2006.

Post your stories in this thread. Have fun!
Posted By: sPlKe

Re: Fantasy Writing Contest -Win Cash and Game! - 05/24/06 15:22

One day Nyara woke up. She thought that it was just a dream, that a flying weasel showed her a secret passage to this alternative dimension.
She hoped that this demonic creature she saw was not the evil wizard, who was claiming all off the Magic in this world his own, he praised himself to be, but just an illusion.
But the huge Mushrooms and the strange birds and lights that covered the forest in this mysterious and yet beautifully coloured fog told her that she was not dreaming.
So did Lester, the flying weasel who came to her last night to find the Girl with the third eye. Unknown Letters on the Signs in front of the Mushrooms. Some foreign Language it seems.
Unable to read the Signs, and starving from a long sleep, Nyara just decides to eat the Mushroom behind the sign that reads BAD. A bad mistake it seems, as all of a sudden, her head grows in size. Out of an instinct she eats the Mushroom behind the sign that reads GOOD and her head grows back to normal size. Not only that she feels stronger than ever before.
Wherether it was just a mistake by that magical creature or really destiny, Nyara is about to face the greatest adventure she could possibly imagine, and no one but herself and Lester of course can help her to find the Magic Bracelet that is able to imprison the Dark Priest again...
-------------------------------------------

I know its short, and i know its not original, but that was what came onto my head when i first saw the pictures. I might redo it or completly write something new lateron though...

Re: Fantasy Writing Contest -Win Cash and Game! - 05/24/06 15:35

Who is the evil Wizard?
What do those funny signs say?
Should she eat this mushroom?
What does the evil wizard want?
What are his intentions?
How will she stop him?

What happens in the garden with the mushrooms?

Posted By: Inestical

Re: Fantasy Writing Contest -Win Cash and Game! - 05/24/06 17:31

heh, I always like "remmeberings"

Nyara once had a family. She once had dad, mum and a brother. She once had dinners with them. But not anymore, not since they were assassinated. She was alone and grew up along with many problems and diffuculties. She survived only by her magical abilities that were awakened when Nyara was ten years old (detailed "history" later).

Now, she stands at front of two signs "don't eat" and "do eat". Nyara chooses to eat the "do eat" side mushrooms, she is hungry afterall. Just about she was going to take one. Somekind of a weasel attacked her and took her away from them. Since she was hungry she couldn't handle any magics and was helpless. Luckily, the weasel wasn't aggressive, actually he was pretty nice.

Weasel told her that she can't eat them. Neither side. She was so eased and asked where she could find food. Weasel smiled and showed the way. After she ate and regained her powers, she finally asked the name (if any) of the weasel. He just smiled and then said, "Cui". Nyara asked him to go with him, to her house. They traveled a while (with enemies around, of course) and got to the house, just to see it was turned upside down.

When they tried to get out, two evil witch's guards attacked them. In that time, Nyaras special skill showed its way out and the guards had no chance (of course, she has to be in significant level oslt*). Also, they found a piece of paper. a map, to be exact.

Not very hard to quess they went to the place the map leaded, to the horrible, utterly despicable Dark Castle. They entered the castle and fought the way to the evil witch. There he was, destroying the natural power of Saiton. "Stop it!" screamed Nyara. Witch seized. Silence. "Is it you, sister?". Nyara got shocked. "BROTHER!?", "What are you doing!?". Evil witch just laughed quietly. "To have my revenge against the assassins of my family."... Nyara dropped tears. "Stop it, immediatly!" shouted the weasel. "Nyara, he is your brother, right? Let me handle it, so you don't get the feeling of murdering your on bro." "no." (battle against the evil witch).

After the evil witch was defeated, the magic didn't still revert. "Nyara, it didn't do the trick.. I must ask a question. Answer me straighly and honestly. Can you revert it, do you have enough power left?". "Me? um.. I hope so.. what do I do?" "Follow my words" "blah blah". Nyara used her all powers and fainted for week. When she woke up, the weasel flought over her happily and asked to look out. (camera moves out from the window and views grassy and sunny landscape).

I dunno, too short I think.. and the idea sucks a bit =/

EDIT: lolled paragraphs

Re: Fantasy Writing Contest -Win Cash and Game! - 05/24/06 17:52

Hmn, okay, once again:

Basis of the story:
The player and her sidekick, the flying weasel are in a garden in an enchanted
forest. The first cut scene will feature the horrible, utterly despicable,
completely evil wizard, who will come into the garden and turn some
cute furry animals into slavering monsters. He will then say something utterly
evil and despicable and run away or disappear. In the garden also is a sign post
with two signs on it. "Eat these mushrooms," and "Don't eat those mushroomS."
Eating the good mushrooms does something to make the player more powerful,
eating the bad ones makes something funny happen, like the player turns blue,
grows donkey ears or is hit by an uncontrallable attack of the giggles.

Just concentrate on the one scene.

I'm looking for cool, funny and amusing. Zanny, otre, fantastic welcome. Good English not essential, but certainly appreciated. I hope you know the difference between their and there, and can do fancy stuff like paragraphs.

Re: Fantasy Writing Contest -Win Cash and Game! - 05/24/06 18:05

you want storyline for that scene or the whole scene?

does it HAVE to be based on that basis?

Re: Fantasy Writing Contest -Win Cash and Game! - 05/24/06 18:06

post changed. i hope it fits now...
Posted By: Stansmedia

Re: Fantasy Writing Contest -Win Cash and Game! - 05/25/06 05:02

The sun is rising into a clear blue sky over top of the warm vibrant forest. Nyara is sat against a large tree, with weasel curled up on her lap. They had been traveling through the forest all night and decided to sleep under a very large apple tree. The sun slowly casts more and more light over the forest as it rises until its beam brigthens Nyara's face. She clenches her cheeks with the intent not to be woken up yet, but a large red apple falls from the branch directly above her and wacks her in the head.

Her eyes open wide and the first image shes sees is of the bright happy forest which emmediatly brings a smile to her face. Nyara looks down at weasel who is still sound asleep on her lap. He mubles "No... No, I don't want the breakfast special... just... just an order of bacon".
Nyara pokes him and weasel mumbles more, "Why are you poking me... get me your manager".
She continues poking him until he awakes and ceases to mumble about his fantasy of eating a great breakfast. "Oh.. Good morning!".
"Were you dreaming about that Bed and Breakfast in Lakeview again?" Nyara asks.
Weasel shakes his head and says "No I don't think so. Hey, can we cook some bacon?".
Nyara rolls her eyes and explains that there is only enough food for one meal. "What are we going to do?" asks weasel.

Nyara and weasel ponder how they are going to get food, looking around with their hands on there chins, not realising that just above them are countless fresh apples. They ponder some more... Suddenly a large apple falls onto Nyara's head. She picks it up and grunts, then throws it out of sight in a rage. "Hey!" yells weasel, "Theres a bunch of mushrooms over there! Lets go collect some!".
They franticly grab there gear and sprint to the patch of mushrooms. When they get close enough they see a sign that says "Eat these mushrooms", with an arrow on it pointing to dark blue mushrooms, and another sign that says "What ever you do, don't eat these mushrooms. They will unhook you from reality and give you indegestion and heartburn. Please consult your physician before use", with an arrow pointing to sparkling pink mushrooms that look, well, just inviting and happy. Nyara and weasel, being the cautious adventurers they are, nod at the signs and eat a handfull of dark mushrooms. Within seconds Nyara begins to sparkle and her face disapears, leaving just a patch of skin where her eyes, nose, and mouth should be. She runs around in a panic and trips over a log. Weasel with a guilty look on his face and a weird array of sparkles forming around him realises somethings bad is going to happen, and just before he can say anything he morphs into a peice of pizza and falls onto the ground. The duo are rendered imobile and lay there in the mid day sunlight.

From a distance you can hear an evil laugh, so nutorious that you just KNOW its that jerk the wizard. He is floating above the apple tree laughing histerically with a load of apples anchored in his left arm, and hurling apples with his right trying to strike Nyara in the face... well... "patch of skin" anyway. He slowly stops laughing and gets bored of picking on helpless people, and teleports out of the area.

A marksman is passing by and see's what has happend to our adventurers. He runs up to the signs above the mushrooms and says "Somebody turned the signs around!".
The man switches the signs back, and grabs two pink mushrooms. He crushes them up and sprinles them onto Nyara and Weasel. The sparkly mushroom dust turns them back into there original form. "Are you alright?" asks the man.
"Oh yeh totally fine... NO IM NOT ARLIGHT! I HAD NO FACE!!!" yells Nyara.
Weasel gets up, with a blank look on his face. "You know, this might sound weird... But I think being a pizza was actually really cool. Everything felt so... delicious".
Nyara and the man stare at weasel with an ackward glare. The man wished the duo saftey in there travels and continues on his journey. "I bet all this was the evil wizards fault, now we REALLY need to stop his shenadagins", says Nyara.

Weasel agrees and they get ready to treck farther into the forest. Nyara picks up a hand full of pink mushrooms, assuming that they may come in handy later on. The duo begin walking, not knowing that a cruel twist of fate (and a really funny one at that) lies ahead in their travels.

To Be Cont'd...

lol, i dont know if yall pictured it the way I did, but I think this is pretty funny. throwing apples at a gimped persons face laughing hysterically... oh thats golden.

Re: Fantasy Writing Contest -Win Cash and Game! - 05/26/06 15:40

Nice story Stans. The dialogue would be a bit hard for the ESL students, but lots of good situation comedy in there.

Spike and Inestical, what you have written is more like a synopsis than a story. Don't be discouraged, though. Have another try.

I found a couple of interesting links for RPG story writing today. Perhaps they will give some of you inspiratoin to make an entry:

https://eduforge.org/frs/?group_id=72
Try the RPG Storyteller Example

Also, a nice tutorial about making RPG fantasy stories:
http://www.kirupa.com/developer/actionscript/gamestory.htm

Please read the first post in this thread so you know what to write about.

Re: Fantasy Writing Contest -Win Cash and Game! - 05/26/06 17:11

so you would need a complete story with dialogue under one page?
impossible-.-
usually, the game should explain the story, not vice versa. let the player experience the story, and just use a quick introduction in the beginning. its for non english speakers isnt it?

Re: Fantasy Writing Contest -Win Cash and Game! - 05/26/06 17:36

I just want a story for one scene, or even part of one scene. I am trying to find someone with writing talent. This is a story driven RPG. Yes, for the most part, the player will experience the story rather than be told. There will be contraints by the syllabus and language level to work with. Also, writing scripts for cut scenes and character and simple world development.

I appreciate your frustration. Please go over the instructions and take your time.

More Good Links:
http://www.gamedev.net/reference/articles/frpg/site/

From Gamasutra:
Quote:

Story RPGs are story driven. There's a reason for talking to or killing people and monsters, a reason to build or destroy things...

Players of RPGs must have some degree of freedom in how they follow the threads of the plot and, in some cases, how the plot resolves itself. They can often pick the order in which they accept quests or even which quests they take and which ones they ignore. Further, how they conduct themselves during a quest, and how they interact with other characters, can alter the course of the story and its outcome.

http://www.gamasutra.com/features/game_design/19990115/remodeling_01.htm

You don't have to worry about all that for this competition. Just write a short, fun peice of fiction based on the scene and characters I posted at the beginning of the thread.

Re: Fantasy Writing Contest -Win Cash and Game! - 05/26/06 19:43

Okay, another shot I will ONLY make for the scene AT the place, not them going or coming.

- Geez.. Why I need to be the only one being not able to do this thing.. um.. reading? mumbled Nyara.
- Take it a break.. Cui sneered. Nyara gave small smile and sat down.
- I'm hungry.. Can you tell me what those signs do? Nyara asked curiosly.
Cui flew at the signs and red them quickly. -That's the thing.. he thought. He flought his time around the mushrooms near the signs while thinking what to do. Nyara started to get frustrated, -Just tell me what they do, Cui... I'm bored. Cui Flew at Nyara.
- Signs don't DO things they just are and point to things saying what there is. Like now the left one point to down-left and says "Eat these mushrooms". Therefore, the right one points to right saying "Don't eat these mushrooms". Nyara bent her head to the side and said smiling: - Okay.

She stood up and examined the mushrooms. She was hungry so she took a mushroom at the left side. After eating it she started feeling dizzy. Cui took a sharp look and flew at the mushrooms and then the signs. - They must've been changed.

Cui took a mushrooms from the right side and made Nyara eat that one. Nyara just smiled a while, just to fall back and faint, still with her smily face. Cui took a long breathe and sat next her. - You little nonsense g.. girl.. Hey! I'm getting.. tired.. too. Cui dropped down.

When he next time woke up, Nyara was jumping arouhnd and doing some nonsense things. Cui's head hurt and he stood up.
- What time is it?
- Time?
- Ah yeah, you can't read clock... Cui checked his clock and doing it he saw a shadow behind him... More to follow.. maybe

Re: Fantasy Writing Contest -Win Cash and Game! - 05/27/06 02:58

I have this going on a writer forum as well. Here is a peice from "TheReMonster":

Quote:

Nyara rummaged through her leather satchel, searching for the ivory lute that had been given as a gift. The light breeze tossed her hair about her shoulders. Finally she found what she was looking for.
"Hurray! Play the Flower Song!" Cui, her weasal familiar, danced with glee around her feet.
"But of course," she said with a smile. Her lips pursed against the instrument and a soothing tone filled the small garden.

Posted By: GhostwriterDoF

Re: Fantasy Writing Contest -Win Cash and Game! - 05/27/06 04:31

Into the land of FelledSpell, you find yourself at the start,

to begin walking along a road entering a magical forest, soon to be met on the way by Nyara and Cui, who are also new to the land. She tells you everyone she has met along the road has said that they’re afraid of a mysterious, evil wizard and that the land is called FelledSpell because its real name has been lost to all knowledge.

She tells you she is a powerful Sorceress who was working out a spell in her castle when something went wrong. The next thing she knew, she woke up on a hill a day’s travel to the west.

In reality she is a wizard’s apprentice who was playing with things she should not have been, the consequences being that she had cast herself into this place by accident. In truth she has some skills that are beyond her years but, since she is young and inexperienced, she will need your help to figure things out. (This may be found out anytime in the game or possibly towards the end to help set up the three endings.)

She will often get you into trouble because of her curiosity, which is what caused her to be in this situation to begin with. Nyara is bold in the heart because her teacher, a master wizard, is a powerful force to be reckoned with who serves the side of good in her homeland.

Nyara tells you that she has decided to uncover the mystery of this evil wizard who plagues the beautiful lands of FelledSpell. Here she asks you to join her. This will serve the game using her to teach the user interface, how to interact with her and with Cui. When the player is ready, they begin their adventure and make their way down the road.

Coming upon a garden further down the road, while still in the distance they see a small creature run into the middle of the garden and stop suddenly shaking in terror, following close behind is the evil wizard. He does not notice you or your new companions as he speaks to the little creature.

“Little pretty things, little fuzzy things does make me ill, words too the Princess loved so all now succumbs to my will”.

With that the wizard waves his wand and the little creature turns into a hideous monster that groans and runs off out of the garden. He openly laughs hysterically leaning back his head and then disappears in a flash of smoke, his laughter still echoing while it slowly fades with the wisps of smoke dissipating in the gentle breeze.

Who is this evil wizard? Why is he doing this? You will have to wait for the game to find out

A.Russell, the rest really depends on how you set up the language learning system. Are you going to be teaching words? Sentences? Common things, modern technological things to be written into the story too? Since it is a future world of our own I suspect there will be some existing modern machine type things to discover as well?

For consideration:

Note: User Interface is driven by making decisions for Nyara and Cui to interact with the world. Except for controlling Nyara's movement, the User will not have a direct interface with the world except for typing in requests and responses to prompts. Main Objective: to discover the lost name of the lands and defeat the evil wizard.

Note: eating the good mushrooms (or things) will open up hints, eating the wrong ones will cause Nyara and/or Cui, depending on who is brave enough to taste, to experience the silly things that happen. Sometimes if you are unsure that Nyara should taste, touch or sniff, you can make sure to have Cui be the test victim, however you will get less of a clue this way.

Note: Signs could use international symbolism for general words like danger, or poison. Points could be accumulated for finding additional words in English that have similar or the same meaning. Words could also be worked like a puzzle, starting off jumbled for higher levels.

Note: There will also be flowers to pick, with colors to be spelled out, along with other things that smell to be smelled out (plus textures to be felt out?). If you come upon a house, there should be utensils and everyday objects to also be “discovered”.

Is the whole world going to be interactive, tied in with words and sentences as well? Plenty there is, to be worked out.

Re: Fantasy Writing Contest -Win Cash and Game! - 05/27/06 13:03

This is written in script form for a cutscene or small movie. its not a real script, but its written similar, as you might see...

The sun reached its zenith, and as the birds fly by, the scene shifts down to reveal a huge and blooming forest, with mor birds that fly by. the camera rolls down and below the trees, whre the light shimmers through the leafs. a strange coloured fog followed by colourfull bubbles hovers in the ground, and as the camera rolls down to reveal more, the like sof huge mushrooms begin to emit.
the camera stops at the ground, and our heroine walks from behin the camera into the scene, holding hand to a creature that seems to be a winged weasel that walks with her.
she sits down below a mushroom to take a rest...
NYARA: Phew... I tell you my friend, this journey is tough. Where are we going anway?
ALISTAIR: Wesa are going to Husa-Basa, biga Castle from evil Wizzad tosa....WHUSSAGASA!!!
Alistair takes Nyara and jumps with her behind a Mushroom. The scene shifts to teh ether side of the clearing and reveals a cunning warrior. He has some magical stone in his hand. It emits blue light, and he warriror is hunted by a black shadow. He throws the stone into the air, pulls his sword, slices the shadow in half and catches the stone right after putting his sword back.
WARRIOR: you macom out now little girl...
Nyara comes out from her hiding, with alistair behind her. As she walks right up to the warrior, a flash of light appears, and a huge deformed evil wizzard appears. He looks at the warrior and with a spell the warrior disapears, leaving the stone behind. The wizzard takes the stone...
WIZZARD: Finally, all five infinte gems are mine. now i shall open the gate...
The he looks at Nyara and alistair, smiles, and yells: NOT EVEN YOU CAN STOP ME NOW! before he disapears...
Nyara looks shocked at alistair, and the scene draws up and fades out...

Fade into another part of the forest. Nyara and alistair walk through the forest, when they suddenly reach a field full of mushrooms split into a left and a right wing. In the middle stands an old tree with signs on them. The left one reads: DO NOT EAT THOSE while the right one reads: EAT THOSE.
Unfortunatly, Nyara canot read, thus she is somehow confused. Alistar flys to her...
ALISTAIR: Wasaup Nyarara?
NYARA: I... i dont know what those signs say...
ALISTAIR: Thesa say eating mushrooms good or bada...
NYARA: But wich one is god and wich one is bad?
ALISTAIR: Mesa no idea. Mesa think, righ one bad...
Nyara walks over to the right mushrooms and eats one, when all of a sudden, her head grows bigger and bigger.
Quickly she runs to the other side and eats one of those, when her head grows back to normal size, also, she feels refreshed, like if she dranka potion.
NYARA: That as sure close, she says. I think those can be of use. Also, learning what those strange words mean could be of use too...
The scene closes by rolling up and fading to black, showing them putting a few mushrooms in a bag and walking on...

I hope its right this time, since thats what i understood you need-.-

Re: Fantasy Writing Contest -Win Cash and Game! - 05/27/06 15:06

Ghostwriter: Thanks for your suggestions. At this stage, please don't worry about the technical details. I'm just looking for writing talent. The writer who joins the team will be provided with all the parameters they need to work within.

So, come on! Let's get some excting, fun stories going!

Posted By: Stansmedia

Re: Fantasy Writing Contest -Win Cash and Game! - 05/27/06 17:47

Wow, your quite the sex hound.

Re: Fantasy Writing Contest -Win Cash and Game! - 05/28/06 02:27

From Cacafire:

Quote:

You'll probably notice that my entry is a little more mature in writing style. That's because I thought the videogame would benefit with a more mature description of the world and events. It's still family friendly, but It's not sickeningly cute, as so many pc games that bomb are. If you look closely, you'll see that the dialogue isn't that mature, which is intentional. It is a kids game, right? The wizard, on the other hand, would be for the older kids. The wizard's english is like the "level 3", while Cui is "level 2", and nyara's language is "level 1". Hope you like.

:Begin:

Shared Qualms

"Travel to the outskirts of Varjina, my little one. There, I shall be waiting for you." Those words echoed through solomon's head, increasing the solemnity of his expression. Thunder clapped in the distance, accompanied by a brilliant flash of light, as could be seen from the tower Solomon now stood in. He did not see it, though, and instead turned away from the gaint window. There was no glass, and cold wind whipped through the room, bringing with it the salt spray from the ocean below. Yet, Solomon stayed erect. He kept his old, graying body rigid as an oak, and contemplated the drab coldness of the hard stone walls. The words of Vin rang incessantly through his mind, and his face twisted in mortifiying fear.

"Could Vin know of my plan?" He spoke out loud, his voice hollow and vacuous. Then he turned, facing the window, and the lifeless landscape of the mountains along the shoreline. He flung his bony arm outward, causing the long cloth swimming on his body to ripple. Pointing to someplace in the distance, his sharp eyes cutting in the distance, he spoke: "Go," Solomon's eyes grew harsh, swelling with inky blackness, "bring the girl to me."

The harrowing screech of something horrible filled the room, whipped the stone of it, seeming to dare the storm to break. Then, launching out the window, it was gone.

Descending quickly over the mountain, dark clouds brewed, making it hard for Nyara to see. She gasped for breath as she scrambled over fallen logs and other obstacles, while the forest brooded over her presence, seemingly watching her every mood, eagerly awaiting a mistake. Finally, she sat, panting from her run. "Resting already, I see." Nyara looked up and frowned.

"You're not tired, Cui?" A weasel shot out of the brush, hovering in the air on feathery wings. His eyes darted from side to side, regarding everything with suspicion. Still, Cui finally stopped flapping and lowered himself onto the rock Nyara sat on.

"You tire easily, M'lady." She gave him a sharp look, but ended up bursting in laughter when he made the face. Cui laughed as well, leaning back on the rock and slumped himself against her side. "Ahh... such soft cloth. I have always fancied what it might be like to wear clothing, M'lady. But it's no use wondering, now that he's after us." Cui gave a long sigh.

Nyara laughed slightly, but now wasn't in the mood. At the mention of him, she stiffened considerably, and began to sniffle a little. "That horrible wizard! That's why we must get to varijna."

"And why we must not waste time sitting in a forest, M'lady." Cui stretched his wings and propelled himself back in the air. "Well, now, See? I've already got my second wind." Nyara ignored him, and concentrated instead on focusing her own breathing. While she thought, she tied her hair back into a tail to prevent it from falling in her eyes. They had to leave Guna too soon; They hadn't been able to get adequate supplies. Suddenly, something caught her eye, then vanished. Nyara instantly snapped to her feet, looking to the sky. "What is it, Ny?"

Nyara's eyes scanned the horizon above the mountain's tree line. Indeed, what was it? The only way to Varjina was through this mountain pass. "Cui... you don't think solomon... would be expecting us--would you?" The cat girl and her familiar's eyes met, passed information instantly. Then, it happened again; the sky, like something invisible, but not quite, shifted. Nyara concentrated her magics in a flurry of motion, queitly chanting the first spell she had learned in Guna: Reveal.

Nyara finished chanting and targeted the magical energy where the shimmer had been. Suddenly, it all came clear. A horrible screech shattered the brooding silence, and the matsadon swiftly swooped down on them. "Look out!" Cui screamed. Nyara dived low to the ground, barely missing the monsters claws. It flew back up and made ready for another pass. "Run!" Cui flew down to nyara and helped her up.

"Ouch..." She rubbed her head. The matsadon got ready. Nyara made a flurry of gestures, and produced another spell. "Fatimina Ruquina!" She pushed her hands outward, and a brilliant flash of light blinded the creature. It fell down to the forest floor with a loud thump, and scrambled to get back up. Nyara and Cui ran off, dodging trees and leaves and things you couldn't imagine, until they came to a large clearing. Inside the clearing were two rows of mushrooms, each with two signs above them.

Nyare kneeled over, clutching her chest and gasping for air. "That was too close for comfort." Cui stated, as if they hadn't just been targeted by one of Solomon's victims. Solomon's victims...Nyara closed her eyes. It had been horrible what Solomon had done to that village, turning all the animals into slaves of his ambitions. She balled her hands into fists. They must get to Varjina. "Say... take a look over here!" Cui said.

Nyare opened her eyes to see what Cui pointed at. "Are those... Mushrooms?" Suddenly, the screech was back. Nyara and Cui heard the matsadon clawing it's way through the underbrush. Nyara turned to Cui, "Which one do I eat?" She pleaded.

"Who cares!?" Cui torted, "They're both the same color! Hurry!"

"No, you numdum!" She pointed at the two signs, "Which one is better?" The matsadson snarled, snapping at the thought of pleasing it's master. Cui took out his glasses, and scanned each sign. Nyara fluttered her hands and cast another spell; It didn't work. The Maatsadon was just feet away from the clearing. "Cui...!"

"I'm hurrying! I'm hurrying!"

"less talk, more hurry!" The matsadon reached the clearing. Cui pointed at the sign on the right:

"That one say's to eat the mushroom." Nyara rushed over, just as the matsadon's sharp talons closed over her waist, and popped the mushroom into her mouth. Cui tried to attack it, but was kicked across the clearing.

"Nyara!!!" he screamed.

"It's all right." She smiled, and cast the new spell.

:end:

That's it. Let the judging begin.

-Cacafire

Posted By: Why_Do_I_Die

Re: Fantasy Writing Contest -Win Cash and Game! - 05/28/06 09:20

As Myra and Squirl made travel from here to where they hadnt been , they ran into a garden , a garden of beauty , which yet embraced demented emotions , where they looked they saw , but what they saw they didnt want to believe, it was him , the one they'd heard about , the one theyd dream about , the evil itself. Myra was fear frozen at the sight of the wicked as his malantly waved and squandered , unleashing unto the defenseless ones , ripping their skin , making them succumb and obey , become an object of his possession , to work till they could no more , to live to serv , to live to die , The evil was alive , the evil must die. As Myra horrified herself at the sight of hte thought , she knew she had to leave , she knew she could die , she knew she wanted to live , so in a swift move she grabbed squirl and turned to the side from where they'd come and were hoping to go , but there was no path , there was no escape , but there was hope , a riddle of sorts. 2 patches of mushrooms , one patch red and one patch blue , they both had a sign atop , one read eat the mushrooms , the other one read to not , the key to the door , it had to have been , but which of these 2 , was Myra to eat.

Re: Fantasy Writing Contest -Win Cash and Game! - 05/28/06 11:04

All those from the other forums are awesome, just because I understand 7/8 of them xD

I can't write too good english... hope you guys get more lucky, and make better stories!
Posted By: Pappenheimer

Re: Fantasy Writing Contest -Win Cash and Game! - 05/28/06 11:11

Your task is a bit confusing, because you seem to need more and other things than only an intro. You need flesh to the bones of your concept. Conceptual flesh, because your concept is still not complete!

Do you wanna make him write a novel for you?
Do you wanna make the player read the story like in your magic book demo?
Or do you wanna actually a cut scene which starts the game?
If the later is the case, than you should proove each sentence to see what it costs!
What sort of models, programming, animations etc. does it need?

As far as I see, you need a dry expose and screenplay.
(The most sentences in the texts above are beyond any chance to implement them appropriately in a cut scene of a game.)

Your concept has a lot of ingredients, but they are still not closely tied up.

Quote:

The game is set in a world that is a super-future of our own, which was
destroyed somehow by war or natural disaster and after a long long long long
time, re-awakened with humans alongside fantasy creatures like dwarves ,elves,
pixies and so on.

This could mean that there are findings from the destroyed civilization which have no meanings anymore within the super-future fantasy world, like for instance a 'no parking' sign.

"meaning - no-meaning", "lost meaning" - "regaining meaning" could be the all tying core of the concept.

As an educational title the game's target is a special part of knowledge, as an entertaining title it should involve more feelings than just success in learning. An entertaining title tries to evoke emotions which are connected to life as a whole. (That's why we were told at school that the core of novels and movies is always about love and death.)

Consequences of "meaning - no-meaning", "lost meaning" - "regaining meaning" as the core of the concept:

#1 The "horrible, utterly despicable, completely evil wizard":

Why is he so evil? - He is evil, because a "cute furry" giant teddy bear imprisoned him through his whole childhood and treated him like a dangerous idiot, while talking kindly with all friendlyness to him.
Because of this conversion of meanings in his former life, he has no fun but conversing and destroying meanings, and he hates all that cuteness and friendlyness, and he does the best he can do to heal these cute furry bastards from their unbearable kindness. Permanently struggling to free himself from the chains of meaning. That's the reason why he continuesly is messing around with meanings, inserting quotes from findings of the ancient time, which are so nicely meaningless...

==============================================
Still to do (but more time-consuming to write down than I dared to fear):

#2 Mushrooms:

#3 Nyara:

#4 Flying Weazel:

#5 Enchanted Garden:

#6 Cute Furry Animals/Turned Into Monsters

#7 Magic Book:

#8 Intro Cut Scene:

#9 Interaction/Correlation: Education - Entertainment

#10 Final Solution:

------------------------
A short piece of dialog:

Nyara: You are so mean!

Evil Wizard: Mean? 'Mean' doesn't mean anything to me! I'm the kindness in person!
[I guess, that is bad english. German: "Ich bin die Nettigkeit in Person!"]
------------------------

Sorry for intruding in your business. Wanna get more of this?

Re: Fantasy Writing Contest -Win Cash and Game! - 05/28/06 13:01

Hi Pappenheimer,

Yes, we need a good story. There are parameters already set within which the story needs to be unveiled. However, for the time being, I just want to see what writing talent is out there. The writer who gets the job will see the complete design document and know the constaints to work within. Part of the writers job will certainly be to flesh out the characters, and we want to give him or her the professional and creative freedom to do this. I have basically just set a canvas to work on.

Quote:

This could mean that there are findings from the destroyed civilization which have no meanings anymore within the super-future fantasy world, like for instance a 'no parking' sign.

Yes, that's right.

Quote:

As an educational title the game's target is a special part of knowledge, as an entertaining title it should involve more feelings than just success in learning. An entertaining title tries to evoke emotions which are connected to life as a whole. (That's why we were told at school that the core of novels and movies is always about love and death.)

Because it is an educational game the pedagogical side is of prime importance, but we don't want to bor our players, like most educational titles, either. I know a lot of teams wouldn't worry about taking a writer on board, and just have the game designer do it. However, as you say, it is very important evoke emotions in the person being entertained. Good writers do this better than anyone else.

Re: Fantasy Writing Contest -Win Cash and Game! - 05/29/06 01:19

By Frank Blisset:

Quote:

STORY 1

Nyara tethered her pony to an old post and peered into the old garden.

She turned back to her pony and said, "you wait here. I'll only be a moment."

Inside the garden a little chicken chased a big bug, while somewhere in a hedge a starling was practicing the latest songs. Nyara wanted to stay there for the rest of the day, listening to the birds and smelling the perfume of the flowers, but knew that she couldn't linger long.

"CUI, are you there?"

"No - I'm over here little one."

The little weasel bounded over to Nyara, unfolded his wings and leapt atop the split-rail fence.

"Now, little kitten, how may I be of assistance, or how can I help you as it were?"

"Not for me. For my Nana. She needs some herbs. I just can't remember if she needed them for stew or for flu!"

"Hmm - a bit of a conundrum, or a problem as it were." CUI scratched his chin and said, "I know. I can give you herbs that can be used for either flu or stew."

Nyara clapped with joy and said, "That would be great!"

All of the sudden, a horrible buzzing screeched through the sky and little shadows flung themselves through the garden in a spiral, merging into a great, dark figure.

"Stranger, your entrance here was dramatic, or exciting as it were, but a bit too loud I don't mind saying."

"Then I won't stay long. I just need one, little thing."

The stranger pointed to a clump of horseradish. The plants parted, revealing the little chicken.

"Ahh - chickens can hide, but not for long."

A rainbow of sparks jumped from the stranger's hands, surrounding the little chicken. The chicken's feathers turned into rows of spines and her body became covered with scales. Her feet turned to talons, her beak turned big and crooked and she grew a stubby, little tail.

"You didn't recognize me, CUI, did you. I'm Sitani - long gone, and almost forgotten," He turned to that which had been a chicken just a moment before and bellowed, "Cockatrice! Come!"

With a loud buzz, Sitani burst into little shadows, which flew over the trees, with the Cockatrice following behind.

"Come Nyara! There's no time to lose. We must make haste to your Nana's cottage, or get there quickly as it were."

++++

STORY 2

"But CUI, I hate cleaning the chicken coop," Nyara whined as she took a shovel and bucket from the garden shed.

"Now little kitten, if you enjoyed it then it wouldn't be punishment, would it. You were the one who engaged in a bit of fisticuffs this morning, or got into a fight as it were."

"But Rienne gets to help in the kitchen! It's no fair."

"That's because Rienne hates working in the kitchen. As your counselor, it's my duty to counsel you. To guide you, as it were."

As Nyara came around to the front of the chicken coop, she stopped suddenly and gasped.

"CUI! One of the chickens is sick."

The chicken's feathers were turning into rows of spines and its body covered with scales. Her feet were turning to talons, her beak becoming big and crooked and she grew a stubby, little tail.

Then they noticed the little, grey man sitting in the doorway to the chicken coop.

CUI's fur ruffled and he growled out "Prefri! Leave this place forthwith."

Prefri shrugged "As you wish. Cockatrice - bow for me."

The former chicken, now a beast, coughed up a disgusting mass, allowed Prefri onto her back and took to the sky.

"Hurry Nyara - pack your personal effects, or your belongings as it were, and meet me at the headmaster's office."

++++

I used the lines with CUI to teach some vocab, and tried to incorporate a little rhyme and alliteration into the prose.

Suggested music would be the old fiddle tune "Cluck Old Hen". MIDI versions can readily be found. With a budget, a musician can be hired to compose variations on this theme for joyous or scary times involving the "Cockatrice".

After story 1, you could have a module of the game that teaches directions (cardinal directions, plus left, right, up, down etc) on the way to her grandmother's house.

-Frank
frankbliss at 30below dot com

Posted By: kopitzki

Re: Fantasy Writing Contest -Win Cash and Game! - 06/01/06 14:30

Quote:

"Eat these mushrooms,"

lol,

MUSHROOMING is KOPITZKI'S(!) Trade idea Mark and KOPITZKI'S lawyers will terribly SQUEEZE you for information leading to Educating potatoes!!!
Posted By: kopitzki

Re: Fantasy Writing Contest -Win Cash and Game! - 06/02/06 14:39

Sorry, A. Russell, if Kopitzki's rude remark killed your thread!
He does NOT own any "Trade idea Mark" on MUSHROOMING and I do not have the money for any of the lawyers he pretends to have!

Re: Fantasy Writing Contest -Win Cash and Game! - 06/02/06 16:42

At least your bad jokes are keeping this thread at the top of the forum.

I might bring the end of the contest up, unless anyone objects. Also, I'd like to hear comments about the stories posted so far, if anyone has any.

Re: Fantasy Writing Contest -Win Cash and Game! - 06/04/06 07:27

This story from Magnatolia:

Quote:

Nyara found herself standing in a sunlit field surrounded by towering trees. Her companion, a weasel named Cui basked atop a small tree stump. Before her lay two mushrooms, one with a sign telling her to eat it, the other a sign warning to not touch it. And yet she felt a force compelling her to approach the mushroom with the warning. Cui watched in horror as Nyara approached the cursed mushroom.

“Don’t touch it.” Cui threw himself at her and grabbed her feet.

“Looks so you yummy, Cui.” She pulled herself along the ground, ignoring the protesting Cui who still clung to her feet.

Nyara grabbed the mushroom, and giggled. “Mine…all mine.” It wasn’t until Cui squealed and scurried up her legs that she noticed the cloaked figure approaching.

“Ahahaha. Your foolish human greed has cost this world greatly, and everybody who lives here.”

Horror washed over Nyara’s face. “Who are you? What do you want?” She petted the fretting Weasel.

“I am your worst nightmare. Bear witness to the powers of Calef. Now watch as I remove the English language from existence.” He held out a leather book flicked through the pages. Thousands of words swarmed out of the book, blowing in all directions. Nyara tried to speak but no words came forth.

Calef rose up into the air, and began chanting, a strange ominous sound that left an odd ringing sensation in Nyara's ears. All around her, trees began to change. Vines wrapped themselves around trunks. Animals began to change, turning into strange creatures, snarling and snapping.

“Oh how I love a good hunt. I will give you a small chance to repent for your crimes. Find me and I will turn your world back into its pretty state.” A small sword and shield magically strapped themselves to her back. The book of english lay beside her, its pages devoid of words.

Re: Fantasy Writing Contest -Win Cash and Game! - 06/05/06 14:42

It seems like we aren't going to get many more replies, so I'd like to bring up the closing date for this unless anyone minds.

The new closing date is this Thursday 8th of June. After that I'll put up a poll for feedback and anounce the winner early next week.

So, if you've been thinking about it, now is the time to put your entry in!

-Alex
Posted By: darkraven1

Re: Fantasy Writing Contest -Win Cash and Game! - 06/06/06 22:02

Terra is up in her grandmother alice's attic one day.
And finds a odd shaped Looking glass.
Touching it she is puilled in to a forest were leo a talking bird meets her.
She learns that he is the last one that can speak to her
Some time back the Queen odered that everyone stop useing engligh so Alice would have no reason to return.
But now no one under standstand eachother and it is up to you to help them remember.
Posted By: testDummy

Re: Fantasy Writing Contest -Win Cash and Game! - 06/07/06 01:04

Quote:

It seems like we aren't going to get many more replies, so I'd like to bring up the closing date for this unless anyone minds.

The new closing date is this Thursday 8th of June. After that I'll put up a poll for feedback and anounce the winner early next week.

So, if you've been thinking about it, now is the time to put your entry in!

Quoted A. Russell; makes the rules as he goes.

Choose your own adventure:
*I cry foul. I was waiting to the very last minute and this contest is obviously not procrastinator-friendly.
*I've been brainstorming on the character identities for the last week, and they still suck.
*You can't force the creative writing process, or as I like to refer to it: the process of cramming surplus adjectives into bloated run on sentences during bouts of sleep deprivation.
*Sadly I can't really write, I can only try to fake it like a 52 year old grandmother doing a poor voice over five countries and two continents away, 52 weeks in advance of the production of your favorite pornography flick. [sarcasm]Obviously, it's worth waiting for.

Re: Fantasy Writing Contest -Win Cash and Game! - 06/07/06 01:10

Does anyone else feel the same way as Dummy?
Posted By: guanohead

Re: Fantasy Writing Contest -Win Cash and Game! - 06/13/06 12:25

I know I'm late, but I just caught this post earlier this morning and I wanted to put in my contribution. I really tried to keep it short, but I sort of think I failed, although it's a LOT shorter than it looks, because of the style of dialog. I'm sorry, but I hope you like it anyway.

Edit: Oh crud, I just read the specs again, and this is probably more than 1 page. I'm so bad at cutting stuff out of my own work. Well, if nobody reads it because of that than... whatever. I enjoyed writing it anyway.

Chapter 1, introductions

Nyara the cat girl woke to a bird, frantically pecking her head.
"Wha?! HAAH! Geettoffamee!"
She flailed at the maddened thing as feathers flew into her mouth and eyes, and sharp jabs poked at her cheeks.
"Pfaah! Pfaah! Viagh BIR!!!"
Finally her tail connected. The creature flew away with a squeak, hit a tree, and skittered up it's bark, disappearing into the leaves.
Nyara made her best scowl into the green above. The effect dampened somewhat by the mess covering her head and face. As she picked feathers, fur and... it must be dirt, from her mouth eyes ears and hair she wondered (out loud as she often did).
"That wasn't really a bird at all. Why was it trying to eat me... or whatever?" She looked at a feather. It was yellow, long and laced with brown fur. She was really hungry.
"Why, you look like you've been sat on by a chicken." Nyara turned to see a tall, handsome man chuckling at her as he stepped over roots into the garden. "Whatever are you doing in my garden dear?" His smile grew warmer. He reminded her of her uncle back home, the way his eyes sparkled... or something else she couldn't place. She stood on her feet, still shaky from the attack. She'd been having such a nice dream too...
"I'm not THAT young!" Oops, that's not how she should talk.
The man laughed.
"Of course not, yet you are all alone, and obviously far from home. Come, let me make you a sandwich. You'll have to tell me what your doing all the way out here." How'd he know where she lived?
"I can't stay long, I'm searching for the black wizard who lives in the dark wood so I can avenge my father and free my family from the curse of the midnight crow." She nodded her head proudly. She'd finally got it all right on the first try.
The man stopped, blinked, and blinked again. His smile wavered somewhat.
"What an odd thing for such a grown up girl to say. One who plans revenge shouldn't go around telling everyone, I dare say." He paused. The woods seemed to darken and the breeze whispered strangely in her ear. Nyara felt a bit of fear for the first time since leaving home. "What would be to happen if you told the wrong person."
The sun returned and the breeze sounded like a breeze again. The man's smile was back warmer than ever. "Come, at least eat a sandwich before you go. You'll have to tell me all about it once your sitting at my kitchen table."
"Ok!" She was really very hungry after all, her revenge could wait for bit. She looked around one last time before leaving and noticed a strange thing. Where she had been laying, two fairystools had grown and a tiny gnome perched on a mouse's back was placing a tiny wooden sign by them both. Nyara meowed in confusion. The gnome looked up. His bald head grew red, he stammered something in gnomish and he and the mouse dissappeared into the thicket. Nyara turned to ask the tall man if he had seen the gnome, when suddenly a blur came from above and landed on his head with a flurry of yellow feathers.
"YU! FAHi WAH" *eep eep eep* "Zackaaagah" *eep eep eep* "ZOOFAAAAH!" With an echoing ZAAAP the creature flew from the man, and landed on Nyara's shoulder. She stared in astonishment, as it growled and spat and bared its teeth angrily at the man, it's fur smoking slightly. When her gaze returned to him she saw that his face was covered in feathers, fur and... well it definitely wasn't dirt. As he wiped it away she saw that his smile had grown, and yet... his eyes were ANGRY! He quickly pulled out a stick and waved it at the bushes. There was a rustling and a chirping and a eerie green glow. Suddenly she was facing a giant, evil rat with a gnome on its head screaming "Beesie! Beesie!" in his tiny voice. The rat gazed at her with its beady, crimson eyes and it's wrinkly, patchy snout broke into a grimace of sharp teeth and flailing tongue. Nyara yelped in fear.
"Good luck with your revenge little girl! I'm sure your keen mind will be able to spot that black wizard of yours a league away! That is if you and your stupid canary don't get... too distracted." The man cackled and Nyara's skin crawled at the horrid sound. She ghasped when she saw that his teeth were yellow, broken and jagged. He'd probably never brushed his teeth in his life! He probably didn't eat sandwiches at all! Nyara ghasped again. What if he ate little girls? Nyara ghasped again! he probably would have eaten her! Nyara ghasped a fourth time! He was probably the black wizard!! As Nyara's headstrong perceptions ground to a halt and began to reverse, the wizards villianous smile (for that IS who he was) had slowly turned into a deep scowl.
"Of all the... WHY AM I SURROUNDED BY COMPLETELY BRAINDEAD NINNIES!! Get her you overgrown vermin! GET GET!!" Nyara looked away from the jumping, furious wizard, and back to the giant rat. It was staring at her with its mouth dropped, breathing fouly, drooling all over the grass and coping with the conflict in its magic addled mind between the monster's instinct to attack defenseless bystandards and the rodent's instinct to run from a cat.
While Nyara and the creature's natures were putting two and two together, the gnome was squeaking alarmingly and holding on for dear life, and the black wizard was yelling obscenities and turning purple in the face, the flying creature flew in front of Nyara with the two fairystools in its paws. She looked down in shock.
"Your a weasel! A weasel with wings! How cute!!" The weasel was losing height as it struggled against the weight of the giant mushrooms. She took them helpfully. They looked very tasty. The weasel was making funny little motions with its hands and its mouth. Nyara smiled. "Your so adorable!" The weasel made an odd "urk" sound. She looked back at the monster, trying to think of a way to save herself from this predicament. The giant rat seemed to be coming to a decision itself and was laying down to sleep (much to the gnomes relief who hopped down and ran back into the brush). The wizard ran up and down the garden, his face a contortion of malignancy, his wand outstretched as if searching for other creatures to corrupt.
With a final squeal of utter frustration and abondon, the weasel took a huge bite of one of the mushrooms.

All stood still. The wizard watched expectingly, Nyara gazed breathless, the gnome's tiny head gaped from the bushes. Even the rat's sleepy eyes were riveted on the winged weasel.
*Burp*
And the weasel turned into a Tortoise
*Burp*
And the Tortoise turned into a duck.
*quack* *burp*
"AAAAAAAAAH!!!" The evil black wizard, scourge of the velvet coast, defiler of the University of the Royal Hand and oppressor of the dark forest promptly screamed like a girl and ran back into the wood.

Nyara's tummy growled in the silence.

Re: Fantasy Writing Contest -Win Cash and Game! - 06/13/06 16:33

I actually closed the contest early, but I haven't decided a winner yet, so you are in.
Posted By: guanohead

Re: Fantasy Writing Contest -Win Cash and Game! - 06/14/06 00:07

I updated some of the details of my story a bit. It's more coherant because I am now awake enough to think while I write.

Re: Fantasy Writing Contest -Win Cash and Game! - 06/14/06 09:58

Wow, I can see you like writing.

I have some business in Osaka tomorrow. I'll see if I can make a decision after that. It is very hard.
Posted By: bupaje

Re: Fantasy Writing Contest -Win Cash and Game! - 06/14/06 19:44

Hi. Just saw this and decided to use my lunch hour to put something together quickly. Some of the descriptive text is lacking as I write plain sentences and then fill it in -just took longer than I thought and it is time to go to work. Hopefully enough to give you an idea.

Scene:
[Beautiful day in the beautiful forest. (describe idyllic surroundings)]

Dawn rose bright and beautiful as it always had in the Namura Woods. Golden light gilded the edges of verdant leaves and wide sienna trunks casting a silken blanket of light upon the dreaming forest. Gentle zephyrs played music in the trees and signaled the changing of the guard, with daytime creatures waking and those of enchanted evenings going to their slumber.

[Nyara awakens from her pleasant dream.
CUI has awakened her with his chittering.
He senses something wrong.]

Upon the branches of the Nu'na tree a feline form stretches gracefully in her sleep and begins to wake. A steady chittering chh-chh-chh sound has intruded upon her cat dreams and she springs to alertness as her waking mind realizes that the persistent sound is one she has not heard in recent memory - the sound of a weasel's warning call. That this particular weasel was CUI, a magical and highly intelligent creature, made the cry all the more alarming. CUI could speak most of the languages of the land and only grave danger could cause him to revert to the primitive language of his ancestors.

Confused Nyara whirled wildly seeking the source of the danger. Gathering her magic about her she called, “CUI. What is it? What do you see?” With lips pulled back in as fierce an expression as Nyara had ever seen on his face he pointed with one small furry claw to the sky where a swirling maelstrom of inky blackness was brewing. Growing swiftly it appeared almost like a stain or a bloody wound in the air.

A foul and fetid breeze began to blow and chilled Nyara to the bone. “What is happening CUI?” At last, halting his wild cry, CUI looked at Nyara and raising his voice to be heard over the now howling wind he cried “A great evil has returned little one! Long have my kind dreaded this day, foretold in prophecy. A wizard who serves the old gods of chaos comes! Prepare yourself!”

Wham! Like a volcanic eruption boiling clouds spewed from the abomination in the sky, blocking the golden light. Angry lightning arced across the heavens like arrows of warring demons as the evil wizard Enjida Inashini appeared riding upon the nightmare Akumu. The woodland animals raced to hide in their holes and trees; some took shelter behind Nyara and CUI hoping their magic would offer some protection.

Inashini arrogantly looked around, his face a mask of evil and contempt. “This place annoys me. Too long have the gods allowed it to exist unspoiled. The natural order of all things is chaos and destruction." Reaching to his monstrous steed he slowly slid a darkly stained and rotting spear from the saddle of Akumu. Evil rolled from the spear in waves anduttering foreboding words he raised the spear high above his head and rammed it through the earth and deep into the heart of the grove. Instantly the ground trembled and rolled like a wounded animal. Deep in her bones Nyara felt the keening of the forest and knew that something very wicked had been done.

Struggling to maintain her balance while the earth still bucked Nyara gasped as the spear began to put forth unnatural branches and roots that pierced deeply into the soil. In a short while a hideous transformation began as the spear evolved into a dark and malignant sapling festooned with crawling bugs and scaly vermin of terrible aspect. Just as swiftly the grass around the punctured earth began to wither and die.

Lashing out without thought, Nyara’s magic arched at the wizard, burn bright as the noon day sun to match the fierce anger she now felt. The magician and his evil steed started in obvious surprise and pain. “You are strong but no match for me girl! I will be back to destroy you when this forest, which I see feeds your magic, is a scabrous and rotting hulk.”

Leaping upon Akuma the wizard swirled into the sky, as Nyara’s magic flames began to singe the edges of the dark clouds with which he was wrapped and tatters of his sooty blackness fell like snow upon the ground. From his perch high in the air, the wizard Enjida reached into his robes and pulled forth an orb of darkness which he hurled to the ground. The resulting explosion sent black lightning and wild sparks through the air and each thing they touched became corrupted. Gentle forest creatures sprouted fangs, claws, powerful tails or bat wings and most flew, slithered or swam away. A few, only partially corrupted with one clawed foot, a bat wing or a single saber tooth, remained with Nyara and CUI, pleading for help with frightened eyes.

Casting a final blast of golden fire at the fleeing magician Nyara stopped, drained from the unexpected effort. “That was quite impressive” CUI said. “In time, and with more training, you will become a formidable weapon against the likes of those evil creatures.” Nyara responded “Look what he has done!” she said waving her arm to show the dark tree, corruption and altered plants and animals. “Teach me the magic I need to restore my friends and our home!”

“Alas!” cried CUI “I cannot. The spear which he thrust into the heart of the garden is an eldritch thing formed from the chaos that was before the world was created.”

“Is there nothing we can do?!” Nyara cried, as she pushed and pulled the evil tree to no avail. “Even now this evil grows. See? It is already larger than it was a moment ago.”

CUI scratched his head pensively. “There is one thing which might heal this sacred place and perhaps help defeat the wizard. There is a legend from a land of myth, of a Temple dedicated to the father of the Baku, the protector spirits. In it is said to reside a powerful omamori, an amulet shaped like a whistle. It is known as “Voice of the Father” the ancient texts say that one who is pure of heart and purpose can use it to call upon the baku to do battle when the need is great."

[CUI calls upon his magic to retrieve a book which tells what is known about the location of the temple.]

[Nyara prepares herself and asks if there is anything that can be done for her friends and the forest.]

CUI points to the gold circled mushrooms that always grew where the sunlight was brightest in the forest. "These mushrooms absorb the goodness of the forest and the sunlight. In this special place, that gives them great potency. Those animals who are only partially corrupted may be restored by eating these mushrooms. But take care as some of the mushrooms are infected by the darkness that the wizard cast down as he fled. Eating one of those could have unintended consequences."

That's it for now. Tell me what you think.

Posted By: MadMark

Re: Fantasy Writing Contest -Win Cash and Game! - 06/17/06 21:22

I'm too late coming in, but what the hell. I haven't written anything useful for a while...

Glimmers of light penetrate the thick canopy of leaves, shining sparks and swirls of color on Nyara's closed eyes and warming her skin where the cool night had caressed her. Her sleep filled mind slowly awakened, and she brushed her dreams aside as she stretched her lithe, feline body.

Opening her eyes, slowly she took in her surroundings, searching for any danger that might be hidden nearby. All seemed normal, the thick carpet of green grass waving in the light morning breeze, the dappled sunlight filtered by the shimmering leaves overhead. But something wasn't right. Where were the birds? No sound but the rustling leaves and creaking branches of the old trees that stood their guard in the forest.

Stretching felt good after a long cold night balled up for warmth. Muscles relaxed and released their tension. Nyara, sensing no nearby threats, licked her hands and rubbed her eyes clear. "Good morning" called Cui the flying weasel, her friend and travelling companion. "It's time to get moving", he said, slinking around the trunk of the tree closest to her and popping his head into her field of vision. "We must make our way over to the sign and see what is written. We couldn't read it last night as the night fell so fast and so dark in the forest."

"That's right", said Nyara, looking to her left. "I remember." She could see the singpost in the middle of a small clearing up the dirt path. When they couldn't make out the letters, they had decided to make camp and await dawn. "This signpost may point the way to the Dark Castle," explained CUI. "If we find the castle, we can find the Wizard."

Nyara's yellow eyes narrowed at the thought of exacting her revenge. "And I can remove his evil curse", she hissed. The horrible, utterly despicable, completely evil wizard had cast a spell upon Nyara's village, turning all within its radius into evil creatures to do his bidding. Nyara was lucky, if you can call it that. She had snuck out of bed early that morning to catch fish by the edge of the river before the wizard had arrived. She was far enough away to escape the full force of the magic blast from the wizard's staff, but still managed to feel the effects.

Her new half cat form was not too displeasing, and gave her abilities and skills that she had never experienced before, but she worried about her mother and father, and her little baby brother. When she returned to her empty village, they were gone. Cui had found her, alone, scared, confused and crying.

"Come on, Nyara, let's go!" called Cui, bounding from the tree trunk and scampering through the grass to the road. She followed, and they made their way to the signpost. "What does it say," asked Nyara. The signpost held two signs, hanging on the left and right sides, moving slowly in the breeze.
"Do not eat these mushrooms", said Cui. "Oh," said Nyara, "and this sign says to eat these ones." Below each sign were a variety of mushrooms, large and small.

"Should we try some", asked Nyara. "I'd recommend we only try the ones on the right," answered Cui.

I would imaging that at this point, game play would allow the player to experiment with the 'shrooms...

Good luck with the game, and the story.
Mark

Re: Fantasy Writing Contest -Win Cash and Game! - 06/18/06 05:29

That's fine, I'm still in Osaka. I'll announce the winner on Tuesday.

Re: Fantasy Writing Contest -Win Cash and Game! - 06/18/06 21:28

Alrighty then, let us begin at the beginning then. LOL

As the sun rose, it's rays crept into Nyara's room through her open window, painting her room a brilliant, warm red. It wasn't the light however that woke her from her deep, restful sleep. It was the calling of the many birds in the forest that surrounded her small village. The calls were as bright and colorful as the light of the sun, bouncing and playing among the trees. Nyara opened her eyes wide and stretched. The stupor of sleep left her body quickly, as it often does in the very young. She sprang from her bed to greet the sun with a smile. It was going to be another perfect day! "Good day for fishing", she said to no one in particular as she quickly dressed and gathered her rod.

Quietly, she let herself out of her bedroom, scooping up her backpack and school books. No sense in giving up the game. Let mama and papa think that she is in school. Just one more day. One more day of fishing and day-dreaming. Then she will go to school and do the boring, useless things that everyone makes such a fuss about. "Reading is over rated, writing cramps the wrist, and math is just so dumb", she thought, "what's the point? I can count on my fingers, and other people can read to me. I never have anything to write about. If it's worth reading, it's worth talking about!" With that she was out the door and down the road, moving quickly towards the river bank. Here was what really mattered. The birds, the bugs, catching your dinner, and imagining the greatest of great adventures.

As she arrived at the river bank, she called out to the birds, immitating their shrill voices, encouraging them to chatter louder. She set about spreading her thin blanket, setting a worm to her hook, casting her line to the slow moving river, and settling in to watch the sun paint the sky with all of its beautiful shades.

Some time later, suddenly, and with no warning, the sky grew dark, the wind shifted direction, and the leaves protested the wind's interruption with a loud SHHHHHHHHHHHHHHh. There was a thuderous boom that shook the very ground upon which Nyara lay, causing her to bolt upright and clutch to a sturdy tree. The tree felf strong and able, like papa. It reassured her to think of the tree as papa. A bright flash erupted in the direction of the village. Nyara ran up the slight embankment in time to see a wizard slowly revolving a few feet above the ground, arms stretched out towards the sky, his voice lost in the sounds of the swirling wind and dust around him. People were running. Things were happening. Strange things. Where mister Thompson stood moments before, now stood a bent and twisted creature, screeching and clasping at the others running around him. Miss Jones was struck down, and when she recovered, she wasn't Miss Jones anymore. She was a hulking, evil looking grey wolf-creature! "Oh no", called Nyara, as the wizard turned in the wind, aiming his staff at the fleeing villagers, her friends, her neighbors. As the staff aimed, it released a bright green glowing beam. As the beam touched her friends and neighbors, they were one by one, turned into the foulest of things, bent on doing the deeds of the horrible, utterly despicable, completely evil wizard. As the wizard turned, his staff pointed in Nyara's direction. She was frozen with fear, her legs shaking and elecrtic with panic. Her mind said run, Run, RUN, but she couldn't control her muscles. The glow. The beam. Coming, fast towards her. She was falling, her legs giving way, she slipped on the dewy grass of the embankment as the beam struck the ground at the top of the embankment where she had just been standing moments before. Falling, falling, falling. Nyara heard and felt the crunch of bone on rock, and watched a cloud spiralling in the sky before the blackness crept from the corners of her vision to cover eyes in its silvery black cloak.

Later, as Nyara opened her eyes, she thanked the heavens it was only a dream. She tried to sit up, but the pain in her head shot stars to her eyes. She winced, and gritted her teeth. She heard herself hiss, and reached a furry hand to her head. There was a bump there, and the stars returned again to her eyes as she gently touched it. "Mrr-ow", she said in a low voice that didn't sound like her own. She slowly pulled her hand away from her sore head and looked at the blood on her palm. Her eyes widened in surprise, not understanding what she saw before her. Not the blood, she expected a little blood from such a nasty bump. The fur. Her delicate, young hand had somehow grown a thin, shiny, reddish brown coating of fur on the back of it. The fur extended lightly, delicately, up her arm. Both arms, she realized as she examined the other. She was uncomfortable sitting in this position. She moved her legs out to their fully stretched length, and moved her tail out from under herself. HER WHAT? TAIL? She grabbed at it with her hairy hands, but it twitched and twisted in the air at every grab. Finally, she reached around and slid her hands down the small of her back, over her buttocks, to the base of her new tail. She definitely had a tail! After tugging and pulling on her tail for some time, Nyara placed one hand onto a large rock, and lifted herself to her feet. The sun had recently begun to set, and she took stock of her form in the still bright light. 2 arms, 2 legs, a little hairier than she was before she hit the rock, and of course, that tail, but all in all, she was still Nyara.

Nyara decided quickly that she was only slightly hurt, and there were others who may need her help. Mama and papa were in that village when the wizard had arrived. She must find them. Quickly, she gathered herself and leapt to the top of the embankment in one bound. There was the village, but all was dark. No lights burned in the small houses, no smoke rose from the cooking fires. She called out, "Hello! Is anyone here!" No voices returned her calls. Only silence. Her house was empty. No sign of mama, papa, or her baby brother. No neighbor boy, no shop clerk, all gone. She did the only thing she could think of. She sat with her tail in the dust of the dirt road, placed her hands in her lap, her head in her furry hands, and she cried.

Re: Fantasy Writing Contest -Win Cash and Game! - 06/18/06 23:11

Some hours passed, and Nyara sat sobbing, her salty tears cutting trails down her soft cheeks, dripping onto the dusty road and pooling at her feet. Where had the evil wizard taken everyone? Why had he done such evil to these good people? What was happening to them, and to her? Why? Oh, why hadn't she stayed in bed and been a good girl? She could have gone to school and... no, if she had stayed, she would have been taken too. But at least she would have been with her family.

Just then, Nyara felt a warmth on her shoulder. A hand, genlty touching her. She looked up with a start. Her yellow eyes wide with fear, her pupils as large as saucers. "It's okay, little kitten. Don't cry," the furry shape spoke softly. "Tell me what makes such a pretty kitty so unhappy that she allows her fur to become so matted with dust." He looked like a large brown rat with long whiskers and sharp teeth, but his demeanor was soothing and calm. "Don't be afraid, I am Cui. I am a wanderer, and adventurer. I am an enchanted flying weasel. Very rare and clever, and I on a quest for knowledge," he said proudly, seeing the fear in her eyes begin to melt away. "Tell me, what has happened that brings you to this deserted place?" He remvoved his hand from her shoulder and pulled two large apples from the fruit stand nearby, and joined her in the dust.

It was comforting to have someone to talk to, and she hadn't eaten all day. She took one of the apples, thanked Cui for being so kind, and between crunchy bites, began to explain what had happened. They talked for a long time before Cui suggested that they had better seek shelter in the forest. "That wizard may come back, looking for stragglers. We need to find your family, and then undo what evil this wizard has done," Cui said. A PLAN! That was what they needed, thought Nyara, but Cui was right. It was best that for the time being, they leave this place and find out what was happening.

They talked and walked through the forest in the fading daylight, until they came upon a signpost. "What does it say," asked Cui. "I thought that you were so clever, and searching for knowledge", laughed Nyara. "Can't you read the sign?" With some indignation, Cui responded, "I can't SEE the LETTERS in the DARKNESS. Hrumpf." Nyara could see the letters, but she couldn't read all of the words. She was embarassed to tell her new friend that she couldn't read, so she left it at that. "Well, I guess we should sleep here until dawn. We can read it better in the light of day," she said, moving towards a soft tuft of grass beneath an old and sturdy tree. She set herself down, pulled at the grass until it was bunched up like a big green pillow, and then settled into a tight ball to keep herself warm. Cui preferred the branches to the grass, and scampered up the tree to find a comfortable spot. Sleep came fast, and no dreams disturbed Nyara's slumber.

Re: Fantasy Writing Contest -Win Cash and Game! - 06/22/06 02:36

Without further ado. The winner is...(drumroll)...

Frank Blisset!

Congratulations Frank.

I'll PM all of you who entered with your Pachinko licenses later.

Re: Fantasy Writing Contest -Win Cash and Game! - 06/23/06 01:07

Congratulations MadMark (I guess that is who Frank is ...) Thanks Alex.
Posted By: Pappenheimer

Re: Fantasy Writing Contest -Win Cash and Game! - 06/23/06 07:29

Nope.

Quote:

By Frank Blisset:

Quote:

STORY 1

Nyara tethered her pony to an old post and peered into the old garden.

She turned back to her pony and said, "you wait here. I'll only be a moment."

Inside the garden a little chicken chased a big bug, while somewhere in a hedge a starling was practicing the latest songs. Nyara wanted to stay there for the rest of the day, listening to the birds and smelling the perfume of the flowers, but knew that she couldn't linger long.

"CUI, are you there?"

"No - I'm over here little one."

The little weasel bounded over to Nyara, unfolded his wings and leapt atop the split-rail fence.

"Now, little kitten, how may I be of assistance, or how can I help you as it were?"

"Not for me. For my Nana. She needs some herbs. I just can't remember if she needed them for stew or for flu!"

"Hmm - a bit of a conundrum, or a problem as it were." CUI scratched his chin and said, "I know. I can give you herbs that can be used for either flu or stew."

Nyara clapped with joy and said, "That would be great!"

All of the sudden, a horrible buzzing screeched through the sky and little shadows flung themselves through the garden in a spiral, merging into a great, dark figure.

"Stranger, your entrance here was dramatic, or exciting as it were, but a bit too loud I don't mind saying."

"Then I won't stay long. I just need one, little thing."

The stranger pointed to a clump of horseradish. The plants parted, revealing the little chicken.

"Ahh - chickens can hide, but not for long."

A rainbow of sparks jumped from the stranger's hands, surrounding the little chicken. The chicken's feathers turned into rows of spines and her body became covered with scales. Her feet turned to talons, her beak turned big and crooked and she grew a stubby, little tail.

"You didn't recognize me, CUI, did you. I'm Sitani - long gone, and almost forgotten," He turned to that which had been a chicken just a moment before and bellowed, "Cockatrice! Come!"

With a loud buzz, Sitani burst into little shadows, which flew over the trees, with the Cockatrice following behind.

"Come Nyara! There's no time to lose. We must make haste to your Nana's cottage, or get there quickly as it were."

++++

STORY 2

"But CUI, I hate cleaning the chicken coop," Nyara whined as she took a shovel and bucket from the garden shed.

"Now little kitten, if you enjoyed it then it wouldn't be punishment, would it. You were the one who engaged in a bit of fisticuffs this morning, or got into a fight as it were."

"But Rienne gets to help in the kitchen! It's no fair."

"That's because Rienne hates working in the kitchen. As your counselor, it's my duty to counsel you. To guide you, as it were."

As Nyara came around to the front of the chicken coop, she stopped suddenly and gasped.

"CUI! One of the chickens is sick."

The chicken's feathers were turning into rows of spines and its body covered with scales. Her feet were turning to talons, her beak becoming big and crooked and she grew a stubby, little tail.

Then they noticed the little, grey man sitting in the doorway to the chicken coop.

CUI's fur ruffled and he growled out "Prefri! Leave this place forthwith."

Prefri shrugged "As you wish. Cockatrice - bow for me."

The former chicken, now a beast, coughed up a disgusting mass, allowed Prefri onto her back and took to the sky.

"Hurry Nyara - pack your personal effects, or your belongings as it were, and meet me at the headmaster's office."

++++

I used the lines with CUI to teach some vocab, and tried to incorporate a little rhyme and alliteration into the prose.

Suggested music would be the old fiddle tune "Cluck Old Hen". MIDI versions can readily be found. With a budget, a musician can be hired to compose variations on this theme for joyous or scary times involving the "Cockatrice".

After story 1, you could have a module of the game that teaches directions (cardinal directions, plus left, right, up, down etc) on the way to her grandmother's house.

-Frank
frankbliss at 30below dot com

Re: Fantasy Writing Contest -Win Cash and Game! - 06/23/06 22:12

Oops, that [Re: MadMark] threw me. Congrats to the correctly identified Frank.

Re: Fantasy Writing Contest -Win Cash and Game! - 06/25/06 16:55

I havn't recieved any pm, I think Russel does not count me in...

Re: Fantasy Writing Contest -Win Cash and Game! - 06/25/06 17:37

No, I'm getting to it. Hang on there, I promise I'll get to everyone this week.

Re: Fantasy Writing Contest -Win Cash and Game! - 06/25/06 20:54

Quote:

Oops, that [Re: MadMark] threw me. Congrats to the correctly identified Frank.

Ha ha, thanks for the nod, Bupaje. Always a bridesmaid, never a bride. LOL
Congratulations, Frank. Good job.

Cheers!
Mark

Re: Fantasy Writing Contest -Win Cash and Game! - 06/26/06 13:58

A.Russell: Hai

Re: Fantasy Writing Contest -Win Cash and Game! - 06/29/06 13:49

I think I have replied to all of the contestants on this forum. If not, please PM me.

Congrats again to Frank Blisset, and thank you to all the other entrants. It was pretty rough trying to decide a winner with so much talent to choose from.
© 2024 lite-C Forums