How do you fake a bloom shader?

Posted By: mpdeveloper_A

How do you fake a bloom shader? - 11/08/06 20:54

Does anyone know how to fake a bloom shader? Because the ones for dx9 take to many fps. I am making a game that's for off the shelf pcs not just for gaming ones.
Posted By: broozar

Re: How do you fake a bloom shader? - 11/09/06 00:34

hm, the bloom shader is already a fake for a real HDR effect. making a fake bloom would mean a fake of a fake. what exactly do you need from the bloom effect?
-the smoothness of colours? (no idea)
-the glow around edges? (look for the glow shaders in the wiki)
-the lighting/contrast? (set your sun value to a rather high value, so the screen will become much brighter without losing its contrast in the dark areas)

sorry i'm not really of any help, i know.
Posted By: mpdeveloper_A

Re: How do you fake a bloom shader? - 11/09/06 01:36

im looking for the smooth look more then the bright, but would like both.
i was thinking that some kind of a sprite "blured some how" on the players screen could do it but im not sure how to do it "what kind of a blured sprite" were its not just a plain sprite on the screen. "if that makes since"
Posted By: Nowherebrain

Re: How do you fake a bloom shader? - 11/10/06 10:59

I'm not sure how it would work, or how well it would run for that matter. You could try saving buffered frames and blurring at a high RGB value and cyle the frame over your layer 0 frame(uhh game screen)this could also generate a motion blur. I think there is probably a faster way though....,but I know next to nothing about material effects so...
Posted By: mpdeveloper_B

Re: How do you fake a bloom shader? - 11/10/06 19:13

well the way we tried it before was with an image over the screen, a blurred gray image, but it didn't work like it should have.....
Posted By: Matt_Aufderheide

Re: How do you fake a bloom shader? - 11/10/06 22:19

You cant "fake" a bloom effect, either you have it or you dont.

I am planning a new product which can do such effects easily with no hassle.
Posted By: Matt_Coles

Re: How do you fake a bloom shader? - 11/10/06 23:07

ooohhh tell us more about this new product!
Posted By: Matt_Aufderheide

Re: How do you fake a bloom shader? - 11/10/06 23:46

WEll, not much to tell so far, but i planning a plugin than does just some screen-based effectrs like HDR, bloom, glass/heathaze, motion blur and maybe depth of field... this would hopefully be very easy too use with no hassle like in SPhere.
Posted By: Matt_Coles

Re: How do you fake a bloom shader? - 11/11/06 01:53

I'd snap it up in an instant, I'd love to have all those features, especially depth of field

Re: How do you fake a bloom shader? - 11/11/06 03:40

hmm, this seems interesting, your work is great matt, i'd love to see something like this from you, but the problem we had was because we are trying to use on off the shelf pcs as well, like the following specs:

1.80 Ghz amd processor
256 mb L2 cache
512 mb ram
on board geforce 6100

these will be our minimum pc restraints, if not lower, we're trying to go for good speed on a pc that you get stock, with no changes, but if you have a bloom effect that would run great on a pc like this, or at least a playable framerate, with alot of entities on screen, this would be great, i'd open my arms to it

edit: even if the effect couldn't run good on a pc like this, we'd probably still implement it, with the option of turning it on or not, if you have the hardware
Posted By: MaxF

Re: How do you fake a bloom shader? - 11/12/06 19:29

Quote:

WEll, not much to tell so far, but i planning a plugin than does just some screen-based effectrs like HDR, bloom, glass/heathaze, motion blur and maybe depth of field... this would hopefully be very easy too use with no hassle like in SPhere.

I would buy this too
Posted By: Nowherebrain

Re: How do you fake a bloom shader? - 11/12/06 20:31

Just let me know when it's complete, I'm sold...guessing it's a camera effect(cause I'm so smart)(not).
Posted By: William

Re: How do you fake a bloom shader? - 11/13/06 02:51

Quote:

This would be great, currently, in my main project I use Sphere for it's bloom and eventually water. After the Sphere update, it took some time to get the bloom working again. Something that allows the user to easily set these effects without the additional Sphere features would be great. The heat haze would really add to a desert level.
Posted By: Stansmedia

Re: How do you fake a bloom shader? - 11/14/06 11:03

Quote:

Hmm. Don't you think that would do to a person's frame rate what Kobe Bryant did to that one girl? If not, I'm down!
Posted By: Loopix

Re: How do you fake a bloom shader? - 11/14/06 11:32

@William: That's exactly what Matt is currently working on....let's wait for the release

btw. Sylex3 Bloom is pretty easy to implement and doesen't kill much framerate

Re: How do you fake a bloom shader? - 11/14/06 23:45

hehe, this forum has now strayed from the main topic, but i guess the question has been answered, i guess there is no way to fake a bloom shader
© 2024 lite-C Forums