Viva Pinata's shaders and materials

Posted By: JetpackMonkey

Viva Pinata's shaders and materials - 04/06/07 09:07

But can someone look at this screenshot from Viva Pinata and tell me what's going on here shader-wise? How would you reproduce this scene in A6 using shaders?

Especially curious about:

1. The glove shaped house in the BG
2. The pumpkins highlights and texture (is that normal mapped? if so, why is it matte and not glossy?) The little zig-zag pattern looks like it is a bump map?
3. The grass (is that somehing like a fur shader going on?)
4. Those vine shadows on the pumpkins

This game is really cute loookin

Posted By: bstudio

Re: Viva Pinata's shaders and materials - 04/06/07 09:18

well, the enviroment contains a bloom shader (at least i think) the grass i guess is some sort of fur shader but verry short and combined with multitexture i guess.
Posted By: xXxGuitar511

Re: Viva Pinata's shaders and materials - 04/06/07 19:54

*) Bloom + Fog + soft-shadows
1) Normal mapped + Specular lighting
2) Normal-mapped
3) fur + multi-tex
4) [again] soft-shadows

normal maps don't have to be glossy , most of the time you see this is here in the forum, where people don't create specular maps [alpha channel of normal map]. The specular channel controls the "glossy"ness
Posted By: PHeMoX

Re: Viva Pinata's shaders and materials - 04/07/07 11:17

The "bloom" thing on the 'hand-house' looks more like realtime ambient occlusion to me, bloom has a light overexposure to it usually.

Cheers
Posted By: TWO

Re: Viva Pinata's shaders and materials - 04/07/07 11:53

Copied from Guitar

*) Bloom/HDR + Per-Pixel Fog + soft-shadows
1) As normalmapping cant change the shape, I would say this house has actually many polygons + maybe baked AO
2) Normal-mapped
3) fur + multi-tex per noise map
4) [again] soft-shadows

BTW wow, cool scene

Re: Viva Pinata's shaders and materials - 04/07/07 12:01

I love the shadows on the grassy fur areas... other levels in the game have even cooler swirly effects inthe grass

Pretty whimsical for XBox!

So it's probably the same things going on in these screenshots as well then? In terms of getting something like this in A6-- is soft shadows the big thing we are missing?
Posted By: Excessus

Re: Viva Pinata's shaders and materials - 04/07/07 12:06

What makes you guys think there is ambient occlusion on that house? To me, it looks like a somewhat highpoly model with normalmapping and specularity.

btw, 'soft shadows' is not really an accurate description. Soft shadows can come from lightmapping, shadowmapping or shadow volumes. I guess (but can't be sure) they used a global shadowmapping shader.

I think the athmosphere of this game is caused mainly by the colors and style they used.

EDIT: after looking at those last screenshots (wheren't there when I posted), I can say it looks like shadowmapping with percentage-closer filtering.

We aren't really missing anything in gamestudio, you just have to write those shaders.. You might say "yes but an engine should provide shaders X and Y". In reality, however, you will need a different shader for almost all models. Using 'uber shaders', like the recently released normalmapping shader is a bad idea because it does many more things than you need, slowing it down. If you want to create a scene like that, you will have to do shader programming anyways, and all those shaders are freely available on the web, you'll just have to edit them to work with gamestudio and suit your specific needs.

Re: Viva Pinata's shaders and materials - 04/07/07 14:23

Quote:

What makes you guys think there is ambient occlusion on that house? To me, it looks like a somewhat highpoly model with normalmapping and specularity.

Because their bloom effect doesn't come over edges, it stays within the model. But you're probably right, it's probably or could just as well be normal mapping. Still, normal mapping usually doesn't give this glowy effect and they've already used ambient occlusion in their other games (Perfect Dark Zero, Kameo), Rare is generally quite underestimated when it comes to their technical talent.

http://www.xboxyde.com/forum_8_17763_1_en.html

Cheers
Posted By: Excessus

Re: Viva Pinata's shaders and materials - 04/07/07 14:30

Quote:

Because their bloom effect doesn't come over edges, it stays within the model. But you're probably right, it's probably or could just as well be normal mapping. Still, normal mapping usually doesn't give this glowy effect and they've already used ambient occlusion in their other games (Perfect Dark Zero, Kameo), Rare is generally quite underestimated when it comes to their technical talent.

Ambient occlusion has nothing to do with bloom. Bloom is a postprocessing shader and ambient occlusion is a shading algorithm.

Normalmapping has nothing to do with the lighting algorithm used. The only thing normalmapping does is allow you to define a normal for every pixel, instead of every vertex. This normal (instead of the interpolated normal of 3 vertices) is then used in the lighting algorithm to determine from what direction it will recieve light. You can have normalmapping with diffuse lighting, specular lighting or anything you come up with really..

Re: Viva Pinata's shaders and materials - 04/07/07 14:43

Again, you are probably right, but (normal mapping combined with) ambient occlusion without diffuse illumination
can produce very very similar effects, I've done this in some renders.

Cheers
Posted By: Why_Do_I_Die

Re: Viva Pinata's shaders and materials - 04/10/07 07:20

Viva piņata is a piece of crap , why even worry about it's shaders , they only use shaders so that the game will be taken seriously , but you can achieve a similar looking pile of garbage withought them as well.

Re: Viva Pinata's shaders and materials - 04/10/07 07:29

Agreed. It looks retarded. But at least it has good graphics [overuse of shaders]...
Posted By: Machinery_Frank

Re: Viva Pinata's shaders and materials - 04/10/07 20:32

Quote:

Viva piņata is a piece of crap , why even worry about it's shaders , they only use shaders so that the game will be taken seriously , but you can achieve a similar looking pile of garbage withought them as well.

Oh, what a prudent comment.

First: Do better graphics! Attacking someone others artworks is easy. It is like those little dogs. They do so much noise.

Second: I would be happy and I mean really happy when I could get so fantastic shadows. Look at the tree and the self-shadowing at it! Amazing. I wonder why this "piece of crap" looks so good.
And look at the shading, the lighting!

I also do not like this cartoon style but I never would call it crap.

Re: Viva Pinata's shaders and materials - 04/10/07 20:33

well, it's a quite good game. I actually like the style

Re: Viva Pinata's shaders and materials - 04/11/07 02:00

It's a stupid game , that did poorly in sales , because no one wants to play it. Yes , I can see all the shaders and nice lighting and shadow system , but it's all wasted for such a cartoony looking game , why even bother going through the trouble of having all those shaders and nice lighting/shadow system in a game where you really wont notice them or care for them. Beautifull shadows are really appreciated in a game like silent hill or resident evil , or doom 3 , but no one will even pay attention to them in a game like viva piņata , same with normals mapping and HDR lighting and all that nice stuff , all appreciated in games like HL2 , Gears of War , and the like, but pretty much go unnoticed in a game as cartoony and weird as viva piņata. Now , to make my point clear , I'm not saying the dev team behind viva piņata shouldnt have used them , because they are more than likely a team thats backed by a good publisher and with ample funding , so implementing next gen things like shaders is almost a must for them , but for us , the indies , it would really be a waste of time to go thorugh all the trouble of implementing all those nice systems for a game that looks like that , you can achieve a very similar looking game with just slightly above average poly count on your models , and colorfull textures , which is why my reply read , "why even worry about it's shaders" , because if you are an indie with a small or no budget , why waste your time , it's not worth it unless your going for a gears of war type title , other than that i'd say forget about shaders , and concentrate on style and gameplay.

Re: Viva Pinata's shaders and materials - 04/11/07 02:49

What's your source for this? Rare's games usually sell rather well..

Quote:

other than that i'd say forget about shaders , and concentrate on style and gameplay.

This is something I really agree with though, it should be in a sticky in the 'Starting with Gamestudio' threads. Don't focus on shaders at all as long as the game style and gameplay are total crap. Those need to be good first, otherwise no shader in the world would do any good.

Cheers
Posted By: TigerTao

Re: Viva Pinata's shaders and materials - 04/11/07 04:22

Its a fine line. I think the potential of shaders can help create some unique looking games like Killer7 and Okami when used in the right manner. Though both of these games could be just as playable if ultra realistic shaders were thrown at them, they would not be so appealing.

Re: Viva Pinata's shaders and materials - 04/11/07 04:30

Yes, but that has everything to do with their style, not necessarily the use or absence of shaders in these games. Both are pretty solid games, the shaders are not just a gimmick so to say,

Cheers

Re: Viva Pinata's shaders and materials - 04/11/07 06:26

I'd say this is an effective use of shaders to reinforce a unique visual design.

Quote:

because if you are an indie with a small or no budget , why waste your time , it's not worth it unless your going for a gears of war type title , other than that i'd say forget about shaders

Why? It's not like it's a huge deal to add or use a shader in an indie game. I have been developing my indie project for 3 years without shaders, in a6 extra, creating what I hope is a unique visual style. For me to put a little post-processing bloom shader on top of it has been easy and opened up a new graphic design dimension. It is another paintbrush for the studio. New technology is not a substitute for design or creativity, but like anything, it is about the designer.

Some people make the same "why bother if you are an indie" comments about working in 3D instead of flash, too!

Quote:

that did poorly in sales , because no one wants to play it. Yes , I can see all the shaders and nice lighting and shadow system , but it's all wasted for such a cartoony looking game

I think poor sales would have more to do with their demographic base-- VP is a Nintendo style game, made for a mostly sports-action console. It's refreshing to see MS at least try to use their acquisition of Rare for something different. (Poor Rare!)

Re: Viva Pinata's shaders and materials - 04/11/07 07:13

Quote:

Don't focus on shaders at all as long as the game style and gameplay are total crap. Those need to be good first, otherwise no shader in the world would do any good.

This is not a very smart statement at my mind.

You could even say: "Don't focus on textures" or "Don't focus on 3d, make it 2d".

And at the end I would even partially agree. Yes. Of course you have to create a good prototype that plays well, makes fun and addictive. After that you have to care for style, graphics and appearance. Textures, models and shaders are only parts of it.

But it is not very smart to say shaders are not for the Indies. You will simply loose against great projects like "Ankh" (made with Ogre and a lot of shaders).

Shaders are not a future technology. They are basic. A shader can help to render faster even faster than FFP in many cases. It helps the CPU because GPU can calculate besides it. It creates decent lighting and details.

They are standard and should belong to every toolbox and hey: Look at all the engines out there and you will realize that they already belong to every toolbox.

Get out of your caves!

Re: Viva Pinata's shaders and materials - 04/11/07 08:32

Quote:

This is not a very smart statement at my mind.

You could even say: "Don't focus on textures" or "Don't focus on 3d, make it 2d".

I could, but I didn't. I said what I said how i wanted to say it. I understand your interpretation, but what I meant was; make sure your game is playable and has an interesting gameplay first (and that my friend doesn't involve graphics at all ). I wouldn't exactly call this prototyping, but you could call it that I suppose. Shaders are definitely not evil, quite the contrary, but too many people focus on shaders first, before even having a real game to start with.

Quote:

But it is not very smart to say shaders are not for the Indies.

True, and I never said it wasn't.

Cheers

Re: Viva Pinata's shaders and materials - 04/11/07 08:39

But don't forget: Often some people want to have fun only. They want to have beautiful worlds right from the beginning, want to show some screen shots and impress their friends. They never will finish a game.

But some nice artworks and shaders can bring them fun. And to be honest: Most of the Conitec customers are that kind of fun-customers.

Re: Viva Pinata's shaders and materials - 04/11/07 09:32

So true, in a way, I am one of them.

Cheers

Re: Viva Pinata's shaders and materials - 04/11/07 22:48

Yes frank , here's the thing about shaders , adding a little bloom and the like are simple shaders which anyone can add , and will help the over all look. But normal mapping , is another thing , let me put it this way , after getting quotes from MANY modelers , a quote for a regular model with a texture is around 400-500, even 300 if you get a not so pro guy , now , a model with texture and a normal map will quote from 2000 to 3000 , and by normal mapping I mean "real" normal mapping , i.e. , creating a low poly model , then an extremely high poly model , and then get the normal map from the high poly model to use on the low poly one. It's so much more work to do , you HAVE heard of the 30 million dollar budgets dev teams are getting nowadays for making xbox360 and PS3 games right ? Normal mapping is USELESS if you make a normal map from a low poly model and apply it to itself , in fact , it's retarded to do so , and i've seen thats what many "indies" do think they now have the next gen normal mapping , when in fact that does little to nothing for the model and is a waste of time. Now , the 30 million dollar budgets are very real , and thats why games have shot up to $59 per title , all of the proffesional and commercial developers have stated how much more work it is to make the next gen games and how much more it costs , now this are the people who are making the games you see in the store , and make millions of dollars , and have millions of dollars in budgets , and they are stating how much harder it is development wise to make a next gen game. So how can "YOU"(someone with "NO" commercial game experience whatsoever , much less creating next gen games experience) say it's not much more difficult to add normal mapping and shaders to an indie game ? Are you stupid ? Unless your talking about the cheap fake normal mapping I mentioned earlier , which is "USELESS" and "POINTLESS". I think you should pull your head out of your ass before you speak Frank , and do research about the things your talking about , as I have yet you see any next gen games or models or any type of next gen art coming from you.

Re: Viva Pinata's shaders and materials - 04/11/07 23:38

Quote:

So how can "YOU"(someone with "NO" commercial game experience whatsoever , much less creating next gen games experience) say it's not much more difficult to add normal mapping and shaders to an indie game ? Are you stupid ? Unless your talking about the cheap fake normal mapping I mentioned earlier , which is "USELESS" and "POINTLESS". I think you should pull your head out of your ass before you speak Frank , and do research about the things your talking about , as I have yet you see any next gen games or models or any type of next gen art coming from you.

Wow, big emotional words from a person like you. This tells clearly who breaks the forum rules on this board. I will notify a moderator about this.

Besides that I don't have to "pull my head out of my ass" (wow, what a great break on forum rule, absolutely insulting, just like calling me stupid for no reason at all).
I do modelling with Lightwave, ZBrush and Bodypaint and we will offer a next-gen-character pack very soon at Dexsoft.
I know what I am doing. You are only guessing. Modelling in Z-Brush works even faster than the old way in Lightwave or 3ds-Max. Details can be added very quickly on a 2 million high-poly model. You can paint them with brushes like you paint your textures.
It does not need 10-times of your time and not 10-times of the money.
You will see it, when we launch our model pack.

You simply talk about things that you do not understand.

And by the way: I have experience with creating normal-maps. I created hundreds of textures with normal-maps. Our latest sci-fi texture pack sells very well and delivers normal, spec, height and color maps. They are created from 2d and 3d contents.
And our new character pack is on the way.
Posted By: Doug

Re: Viva Pinata's shaders and materials - 04/12/07 00:52

People, don't feed trolls and they will go away.

Re: Viva Pinata's shaders and materials - 04/12/07 06:27

Quote:

People, don't feed trolls and they will go away.

Sorry, I don't understand this phrase. I know trolls only from fantasy movies and games.

My problem with WhyDoIDie and this thread is the following:

His behaviour is clearly insulting (like always).

He makes false statements all the time and does not know about the things he writes, e.g.:

He states that I have no experience with commercial games. He cannot know that and in fact I worked on Betti, Numberland, Dexon Knight - all commercial game projects that sell very well.
I also helped with Memowar and a few Torque-Projects.

Game programmers world-wide buy my models and textures.

WhyDoIDie stated that I do not know about Normal-Mapping. But I wrote a few articles about that topic for the German 3dgs-magazine. I used plug-ins, Melody, O.R.B. and 2d-tools to create normal-maps.

This shows clearly that a bginner like WhyDoIDie is insulting people without any reasons, calling them stupid. I experienced that a few times now and hope that this will end with or without the help of the moderators.
Posted By: lostclimate

Re: Viva Pinata's shaders and materials - 04/12/07 07:10

trolls are also people who go thru forums only looking to insult ideas/beliefs/techniques

Re: Viva Pinata's shaders and materials - 04/12/07 07:29

Quote:

trolls are also people who go thru forums only looking to insult ideas/beliefs/techniques

Ah, thanks for this explanation.

Re: Viva Pinata's shaders and materials - 04/12/07 08:03

Yes Frank , your games look like nintendo 64 games , how is possible that you can create all this killer next-gen art easily and none of your games can even be considered last-gen , they're more like ps1 games. Doesnt this contradict you completely ? If you can make such good art and easily , then why dont you put any of it into your game projets ? They clearly look like playstation 1 rejects , how can this possibly be , seriously , how ? I would appreciate an answer to that. To back what your saying , dexoft knight would need to look at least like God of War , and I do say at least , because your talking about art of the caliber of Gears of War or Resistance Fall Of Man. I would love to see you create such a game with gamestudio , if your as capable as you say , you should do it , who knows , you might be good enough to make it by yourself , and withought a budget , but as far as the everyone else goes , well for both of those titles they had at least 50 people working on the games with 30 million dollar budgets to make them , you must be some kind of super developer if you can do the same on your own and with no budget. Even the games before this next gen was were costing more than a pretty penny to make and had teams of over 50 people to develop them , yet you sit there and say that making next-gen art is nothing complicated , and is in fact easy and cheap. All this talk and nothing but sega saturn looking games, really backs up what you say , lol.
Still , dont know why I'm being portrayed as a troll , as I am merely stating pure facts , while Frank keeps stating pure thoughts.

Re: Viva Pinata's shaders and materials - 04/12/07 08:16

I think next-gen is a matter of taste, for example person 1 finds a certain game next-gen as another person thinks it isn't when you compare it to another game. Though i don't think Frank's games are N64 or PS1 quality, there much higher.

And now stop bashing each other

Re: Viva Pinata's shaders and materials - 04/12/07 08:20

I'll give you that , they are higher quality than playstation 1 games , but they certainly arent playstation 2 quality , or xbox quality , or gamecube quality , so where are they , in between ps 1 and 2 ? LOL . Thats still VERY far away from PS3
Posted By: William

Re: Viva Pinata's shaders and materials - 04/12/07 08:43

I don't think developing Gears of War has any relation to Frank stating he has multiple instances of commercial game and normal mapping experience. I've also purchased some of his resources, there all top quality, normalmaps are great, really nothing much more to say on that.

Viva Pinata looks to be a pretty cool game. I think the fur shader really helps it achieve that Pinata look, but can see where some of it might be overkill. I think Kameo had some overkill as well in this area, but it was released as a system seller, so naturally it had things like parallax mapping. I'd probably have picked both up if I owned an 360(waiting for Banjo Kazooie 3, then I buy one).

Re: Viva Pinata's shaders and materials - 04/12/07 09:06

I don't want to feed the troll any more.

Just a little note: Our previous games are not my games, I was only a part of the team. They are cartoon kids games and work with FFP or shader 1.x (only for terrain multi-texturing). They should work on old machines in Serbia, Croatia, Hungary and so on.

I never claimed them to be next-gen. I only said that we are working on new commercial packs that are aimed to deliver present- and next-gen artworks. And I said that I have experience with normal-mapping and with commercial games (not normal-mapping in commercial games).
WhyDoIDie turns words around so that they fit into his little world where he is the central of the absolute truth (he claimed to tell facts).

BStudio: I am not a "basher" and try to keep it that way. I simply do not like the insulting behaviour of this "troll" WhyDoIDie. Most of his posts start with "crap", "stupid" and other insulting words and often end in a flame war. You can just search for his latest posts and will see it yourself.

Re: Viva Pinata's shaders and materials - 04/12/07 09:39

All my first post said was that indie's with really no money shouldnt make shaders and normal mapping a priority for their games , i.e. looking at viva pinata , and thinking , wow , thats a nice style , i guess I need a normal mapping shader, a bloom shader , a parallax mapping shader , an HDR shader , and so on , and work on that just to later on realize , hey wait , what about a game to put all this garbage to use on. Thats how most gamestudio users operate , see something they like , spend time finding out how it's done , spend a ton of time trying to get that working on gamestudio , and sometimes , when they actually get it to work on gamestudio , all that follows is a tiny demo of a shader or whatever working in a 1 room level , and thats it , no game. LOL. We have successfully added normal mapping shader , couple water shaders , terrain shaders , bloom shader , hdr shader , and a ton of extra post processing ones someone was very kind to donate , as well as Matt's incredible contribution , SPHERE , and there's STILL NO GAME. LOL . That was why I was replying , sure , it's possible to replicate viva pinatas shaders on gamestudio if one tries hard enough , but then thats all you will have , a bunch of working shaders , just like you already have a working engine , and again , no decent game to use this nice stuff one. It should work the other way around , have a game idea , then create a full design document stating every detail of the game , from looks to gameplay to everything , then visualize how the game should look , and once all that is done , figure out how you can make it look the way you want it to , and get to work. Then again , this is the shaders forum , so the question from the poster fit the criteria , but my comment was only a comment , and directed to him , not you Frank , yet you felt like you should say something to me about my comment rather than comment on the posters question , so I think if anyone is breaking the rules it's you. Btw , it's hilarous for you to be reporing this to a MOD . LOL LOL LOL LOL. Yes it's that funny , that you have to turn to mommy and daddy to protect you from my posts.

Re: Viva Pinata's shaders and materials - 04/12/07 09:51

don't make me pull this car over

Quote:

so I think if anyone is braking the rules it's you

Frank, stop braking the rules

yeah William, I agree kameo was overkill, normal mapping everywhere, choking on it! Banjo Kazooie 3, though, yum that I want.

Re: Viva Pinata's shaders and materials - 04/12/07 10:02

Look at this post:
He writes without any paragraphs, repeats every statement and blames other people for his lack of understanding.

After that he insults me again to be a kid hiding behind mom and dead (the moderator). He still does not realize the truth that I am able to defend myself with words and even physically. And I even have to use his mother-tongue that makes it a bit more difficult to me. But the behaviour and the facts will speak for themselves.

But I cannot ban or warn him officially. A moderator is needed in that case. And since he insults people very often in theses forums it was time to notify a moderator. Otherwise he never stops this behaviour.

His statement to make a game first and then go for visuals is also not the truth and lacks some serious experiences. You have to check your tool-set first. It makes no sense to create a fantastic game and after that you realize that you have no real-time shadows and cannot create very important visual effects that you need for the game-play.

You have to check the work-flow first. And that is what many people are doing when they start to create sample levels, shaders or try to find a way to get baked shadows into the engine.
If you do that afterwards then you might be in a dead-end with no way out.

Besides that other people only want to have fun with some sample scenes and do not want to finish a game (or give it up). There is no rule that should tell them what is the "truth". The "truth" of WhyDoIDie is just his personal meaning.

Re: Viva Pinata's shaders and materials - 04/12/07 10:05

Btw , Banjo Koozie 3 ? What are you all 6 yrs old ? I still dont understand why Rare went from making the Insanely cool Killer Instinct games to making the weird Banjo Koozie games , it's so sad , and unexplicable. Maybe it was due to the extreme success of the Donkey Kong games , which I myself love , but Killer Instinct was massively popular as well , Banjo Koozie on the other hand is a complete pile of crap with lifeless boring characters and retarded gameplay. Forget about Banjo Koozie , make a Killer Instinct 3 , with normal mapping : ) LOL. Seriously , we need another Killer Instinct , look at how many street fighters we have , capcom obviously knows and understands how to milk a good franchise , Rare on the otherhand seems a bit clueless on this department , they seem to try to milk the bad ones. Man , even Mortal Kombat keeps up to date with whats going on , and people receive it with open arms , RARE , MAKE ANOTHER KILLER INSTINCT AND FORGET ABOUT MAKING GAMES FOR TODDLERS AND GRANDMAS , do you have no dignity ? catering to children and seniors ? LOL

Re: Viva Pinata's shaders and materials - 04/12/07 10:14

LOL , check your toolset first ? LOL , what ever happened to do the best with what you have ? You ever played nintendo games and super nintendo games ? lol , no real time shadows ? Oh well , I guess i'll just have to pull out a million dollars from my wallet to buy the CryEngine or the Unreal 3 Engine , and maybe pull out another million to hire a ton of modelers and animators to make my models. LOL. If we were all millionaires and could afford to top quality engines we wouldnt be here using gamestudio , we use gamestudio because it's the best in it's price range , if it doest support dynamic shadows then , uh , uh , uh , maybe we just wont use them and work around it , just like every other developer has in the past. Wow , you still wanna be taken seriously after making such stupid comments ? lol

Re: Viva Pinata's shaders and materials - 04/12/07 10:17

He writes in Caps and again calls other people stupid.

I really hope that a moderator stops this very soon!

I will not comment any of this. It speaks for itself.

Re: Viva Pinata's shaders and materials - 04/12/07 10:30

WDID, don't hold back your true feelings-- just let it all out, honey. I am sure you will show us allhow to do things the right way with your own game as an example.

Re: Viva Pinata's shaders and materials - 04/12/07 10:33

As for the bashing, I was reffering to everyone who was insulting other forum people. We should all be loving towards eachother and at least provide constructive critisism

Re: Viva Pinata's shaders and materials - 04/12/07 10:34

I didnt insult anyone , merely made some points , and apparantly those points for some reason bothered Franchesca. Whats everyone getting all hot and bothered over ?

Re: Viva Pinata's shaders and materials - 04/12/07 10:39

The point is you call people stupid. You call projects crap and you state that others are 6 years old. And I do not mean the posts regarded to myself. I mean all of your posts.

That is clearly insulting.
Making a point can live without calling somebody stupid or 6 year old.

Re: Viva Pinata's shaders and materials - 04/12/07 11:06

Quote:

for some reason bothered Franchesca

Why_Do_I_Diana

( hee hee heee, I just couldn't resist )
Posted By: Orange Brat

Re: Viva Pinata's shaders and materials - 04/12/07 11:12

Who gives a flying flack what a game looks like? Last time I checked most indie games looked like Nintendo 8-bit and 16-bit games. There's nothing wrong with this, and they seem to be selling.

http://www.indiegamer.com/
http://www.gametunnel.com/

What in the hell is wrong with this forum and some user's obsession with taking a big dump on everything and everyone? Likewise, what's wrong with using shaders on a toon looking game? Nothing. Just more beeyotching.
Posted By: VampireLord

Re: Viva Pinata's shaders and materials - 04/12/07 13:38

Okay, this is the final warning. You know guys, there are reasons for forum rules. Why_Do_I_Die I would seriously considering checking up on "How to discuss something in a proper and scientific way, without trying to ridicule other persons opinions".

As said, this is the last warning, I am going to give this thread one more chance to discuss things properly!

Thanks a lot
VampireLord

Re: Viva Pinata's shaders and materials - 04/12/07 16:45

In a [hopefully] constructive and non-criticizing way:

Quote:

Thats how most gamestudio users operate , see something they like , spend time finding out how it's done , spend a ton of time trying to get that working on gamestudio , and sometimes , when they actually get it to work on gamestudio , all that follows is a tiny demo of a shader or whatever working in a 1 room level , and thats it , no game. LOL.

yes, this is very true. BUT, I THINK IT'S A GOOD THING! These "little projects" are usually nice features for other people to use. Like my "one-room normal mapping" demo. Or my soon-to-be-finished Sylex3,Newton,Physics Player demo (which will have more than one room ).

But you're right again, unfortunately, nobody has really put all these "demo feature things" together in an enjoyable game yet. As far as I know of...

I'm not choosing sides here, and hopefully we can get back on point about pin~ata thing...

Re: Viva Pinata's shaders and materials - 04/12/07 17:47

Little projects are totally reasonable for many people-- making a complete game is a huge commitment that usually requires more than a couple of people working extremely hard, so these little demo one levels are just fine for individuals, especially if it brings them pleasure, or helps them learn, or makes for something that goes into a portfolio for a job application

Re: Viva Pinata's shaders and materials - 04/12/07 18:57

Well guitar understands what i'm saying , most of you all are just missing the point , and will prolly still be missing the point 10 yrs from now here on the forum trying to figure out how the ps5 games effects are done , lol , but I'm done posting here , no reason to be wasting my time speaking to def ears. To Vampire , I dont need to learn how to discuss anything scientifically , this is not a science class or college , this is merely a discussions forum , it's incredible how sensible the gamestudio forum users and moderators are , it seriously feels like this is a place full of little sensitive girls. Maybe your name should be Big_Pickle_Loving_Teen_Vampiress and not Vampire_Lord , seriously ? a Vampire_Lord telling me to tone it down ? What will happen if I use a , "bad word" LMFAO. Well Vampiress , if you feel you should report me as well , report me patna , and change your tampon while your at it , LOL , you too Franchessca , maybe you just need to freshen up , LOL. Bunch of Fags.
Posted By: Doug

Re: Viva Pinata's shaders and materials - 04/12/07 19:04

Threads closed.

Why_Do_I_Die: you are warned. Please re-read the Forum rules and learn how to use paragraphs.
© 2024 lite-C Forums