Newbie Question

Posted By: Claus_N

Newbie Question - 05/10/07 16:55

Hi,

Is it possible to create a refraction shader like this one, using Commercial edition, and without using a plugin?
http://www.coniserver.net/ubbthreads/sho...;fpart=1#473746

Sorry if it is a stupid question... I am quite new at shaders
Posted By: Scorpion

Re: Newbie Question - 05/10/07 17:03

no, cos u need the pro-feature render to texture

Re: Newbie Question - 05/10/07 17:07

Okay, too bad :/

Thanks for the fast reply
Posted By: Matt_Aufderheide

Re: Newbie Question - 05/10/07 18:33

I'm making a new plugin that will allow this however

Re: Newbie Question - 05/10/07 18:45

Sounds nice
Posted By: Raymaker

Re: Newbie Question - 05/11/07 11:29

Hey Matt how would you make it for a6(are you using C+++++++ or what ?)
Or is it just very advanced shader that can be built within the fx file that you sure wont tell us about xD because it's your way to earn money

thax in advance

ps. how can i have 5 stars on the rating an you have only 3 but i'm nowhere close to you.
Posted By: Joey

Re: Newbie Question - 05/11/07 11:50

you were rated only once, matt 116 times. shaders can't "view" into the game world, i think he is speaking about sphere, a plugin he writes to overcome the "render to texture"-pro-only feature limitation. but he's replacing the inbuilt renderer - i'm not sure here - which makes not much sense imo...

(don't get me wrong, it's probably the best solution for what you're doing).

Re: Newbie Question - 05/12/07 04:33

Quote:

shaders can't "view" into the game world, i think he is speaking about sphere, a plugin he writes to overcome the "render to texture"-pro-only feature limitation. but he's replacing the inbuilt renderer - i'm not sure here - which makes not much sense imo...

I'm talking about a new plugin, not Sphere, that does screen effects like diffraction, HDR, bloom, depthf of field.. etc..

Sphere doesnt totally replace the A6 renderer, but does do much of the rendering internally, this is because the A6 renderer is not set up for things like realtime shadow mapping and so on. Sphere and my new plugin does a LOT more than replace render to texture.

In fact, using the Pro redner-to-texture is not ideal for many effects because you cant control draw order, so you get a one-frame lag, and so on.
Posted By: William

Re: Newbie Question - 05/12/07 07:34

Wow, this sounds sweet.

Hopefully the DOF, diffraction, mabye even motion blur ect. works alongside the bloom/HDR. Hopefully each graphical feature will be standalone as well, that way a user can easily implement it in their projects without all the menu code, templates, other entities(terrain) overhead that Sphere2 had. A problem I've had with Sphere 2.0 is that everything seems connected, and it's quite hard to implement different graphic/fx features in my project. I've tried implementing the water for example, but it's connected with the terrain, a couple other functions with much in them, and I couldn't seem to figure out where the rendering for refraction/reflection is from.

Also, know when you might be done this new plugin?

btw - Your right about the render-to-texture not being as great.

Re: Newbie Question - 05/12/07 20:28

This new plugin is unrelated to Sphere, and in fact wont work with Sphere currently.. its for people who dont want or need Sphere but want an easy way to make some good effects. ZIt will be much simpler to integrate with your projects.

Should be done very soon actually, the main features are now done.
Posted By: William

Re: Newbie Question - 05/13/07 06:23

Thanks for the info Matt, I'm really looking forward to this.
© 2024 lite-C Forums