Glare shader

Posted By: MMike

Glare shader - 04/28/08 12:06

where i can get a glare shader?
For example, istead of using flare sprites.. that would intersect with objects..
There is a glare similar to glow, using for example for sun, where if part of the sun is not visible, it will fade out, but the other part still showing , dynamicly.

Posted By: Poison

Re: Glare shader - 04/28/08 15:39

Do you mean HDR??
look at the User contributions (shade-c) BoH_Havoc has made 1 HDR shader.
Posted By: Scorpion

Re: Glare shader - 04/28/08 17:37

yep, he'S talking about hdr...the pic above is from _THE_ hdr demo btw ;\)

Re: Glare shader - 04/28/08 18:17

its HDR? even the rays that comes out from the sun? i though HDR was like a bloom shader or something.
Posted By: Scorpion

Re: Glare shader - 04/28/08 18:43

at least the first is hdr...i think the second on is some kind of 'makeraysbehindobjects' shader :S

It's postprocessing. you have to pass the position of the sun and then you can calculate the rays by doing lookups towards sun direction.

But i didn't see such a shader around here and i'm too lazy and busy to write such. I suppose it would be pretty slow btw because you have to do a lot of lookups
Posted By: frazzle

Re: Glare shader - 04/28/08 18:49

The last one is called 'Crepuscular Rays'.
It's indeed a PPE, just look into one of the Gems series ;\) ;\)

Cheers

Frazzle
Posted By: BoH_Havoc

Re: Glare shader - 04/28/08 19:16

you can easily create such a sun ray shader with the help of a radial blur shader. All you need is a rendertarget which stores all objects as plain white color and the sky as black color. You then pass this to the radial blur shader, do some calculations and you are set.
Have a look at the radial blur shader in shade-c. It actually does exactly what i was talking about above. I just commented it out, as it wasn't very user friendly at the time i released the last version of shade-c \:\)

Re: Glare shader - 04/29/08 00:10

Originally Posted By: frazzle
The last one is called 'Crepuscular Rays'.
It's indeed a PPE, just look into one of the Gems series ;\) ;\)

Cheers

Frazzle

gems ?
you mean glowing edge material shader?
Posted By: Nowherebrain

Re: Glare shader - 04/29/08 01:03

it's looks like it is still bloom, just has a higher threshold setting.

Re: Glare shader - 04/29/08 01:23

.. Do you know halo 2.. the sun shader on that game is an example of..what im looking for.
Posted By: Joey

Re: Glare shader - 04/29/08 12:41

Originally Posted By: MMike
gems ?

i think he talks about the cpu gems series.

Re: Glare shader - 04/29/08 13:15

hum i read it already, and, there is some reference to it. But does anyone worked in such shader already? im not very expert at shaders, maybe someone could had already one.
Posted By: WolfCoder

Re: Glare shader - 04/29/08 15:10

Originally Posted By: Poison
Do you mean HDR??
look at the User contributions (shade-c) BoH_Havoc has made 1 HDR shader.

Where can I find wherever that is?

Re: Glare shader - 04/29/08 18:33

@ Joey:

Yes indeed ;\) ;\)

@ MMike:

A good friend of mine and I are working on such a shader atm and we used Gems as a reference item ;\) ;\)
No release yet, this will be something for later on.

Cheers

Frazzle

Re: Glare shader - 04/29/08 19:38

frazzle:
well i can wait, my project has other things to work, i was just wondering if anyone would have it.
thanks

Re: Glare shader - 05/01/08 18:27

Oke ;\) ;\)
Maybe ask BoH_Havoc since he mentioned something about it and he is acknowlegded with the correct shader information.

Cheers

Frazzle

Re: Glare shader - 05/01/08 19:16

The effect shaders has .fx extension, that means that from the nvidea library, i can use their .Fx shaders files too? and will be compatible?
if no, Why it needs conversion? this shader tecnology on GS need to be speeded UP.
Halo2 is a old game, and it had That SUN shader with rays, already built in.
Posted By: Foxfire

Re: Glare shader - 05/01/08 19:31

hey,
Ive been experimenting with a shader that simulates the first image very closely. Ill share it when its done but as some simple help, the effect can be efficiently achieved with a enviroment mapping shader + specular (phong) highlight shader. If you dont program you can actually just combine 2 pre-made effects like EM+specularH using Nvidia Fx composer. Check it out at Nvidia's website (sorry no link)

Re: Glare shader - 05/01/08 19:51

i have the nvidea shader composer of course, but the code it generates its not compatible with GS, i mean, doing load effect("XXX.Fx",.bla bla") won't do work, or it will???
IF yes im happy.
Ahum about the shader, the EVīspecular are not enough, there is some kind of glare shader, i mean, the brigh areas glow...

PLease note, when i posted the first post, i shown different shaders, but similar , one is glare, ( the glow white areas) and other is glare too, but when something is passing front of it, it will hide the glare oon that place, so its not just a simple bloom i guess.
Posted By: adoado

Re: Glare shader - 05/03/08 17:31

Quote:

gems ?

As in the GPU Gems series - its a book by NVIDIA. In GPU Gems 3 is a chapter on Volumetric Light Rendering (to get crep. rays).

Thanks,
Adoado ^^
© 2024 lite-C Forums