Screenshots? Screenshots?

Posted By: tesanders

Screenshots? Screenshots? - 09/17/03 05:21

Anyone feel like showing off a few screenshots of the new effects for the proletariat? I'm eager to see what it can do.

Cheers,
Tesanders
Posted By: ventilator

Re: Screenshots? Screenshots? - 09/17/03 15:53

i don't have anything spectacular to show yet because i just have started to learn shader programming. it's just a simple multitexturing shader for terrain. i always wanted to have something like this in a6. you can specify two textures with arbitrary tiling, and the third texture's alpha channel specifies how the tiled textures get blended:

Posted By: BionicHero

Re: Screenshots? Screenshots? - 09/17/03 18:46

Not really a shader but kinda cool too. Bump mapping! Especially the metal part of the crate looks much better.

Posted By: Nadester

Re: Screenshots? Screenshots? - 09/19/03 08:47

Bump mapping Nadester style!
[image]http://axelgames.tripod.com/bumpmap.txt[/image]

Re: Screenshots? Screenshots? - 09/19/03 09:26

These look good; can't wait to get my hands on some of this stuff.
Posted By: logaan

Re: Screenshots? Screenshots? - 09/20/03 00:26

Wow... Why I'm not a beta tester?? (Agh... right... I've only got A5 Standard... )

cya
logaan
Posted By: napo

Re: Screenshots? Screenshots? - 09/20/03 01:44

Nadester: It looks more like Glow Mapping

Re: Screenshots? Screenshots? - 09/20/03 02:01

bumpmapping doesn't look good on screenshots!
Posted By: Phantom88

Re: Screenshots? Screenshots? - 09/20/03 02:18

Actually it doesn't matter what version you have if you want to be a beta tester. I had only A5Extra when i got the beta-tester status...

~Phantom88~

Re: Screenshots? Screenshots? - 09/20/03 02:20

Quote:

If you want to become a beta tester, you must be a forum member, be
able to speak English, own the current A6 Professional or Commercial

Posted By: Phantom88

Re: Screenshots? Screenshots? - 09/20/03 02:36

Oh, damn, owned...
It looks like it has changed a little. Well, lucky me...

~Phantom88~
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Screenshots? Screenshots? - 10/01/03 07:04

Ventilator: is that a screenshot from A6? I mean, is that possible to do with A6?
It is a very interesting feature...

Re: Screenshots? Screenshots? - 10/08/03 08:51

Actual "Cel" Shading in 3d Gamestudio using vertex shaders!
[image]http://axelgames.tripod.com/cel.txt[/image]
As you can see it doesnt quite output textures. I need a little help on blending Texture 1 and Texture 2 together.
I have the code to do it with a pixel shader, but sadly my computer cannot run pixel shaders, so it does not help me very much. If anyone can offer me a hand, you can keep the code for yourself too!

Re: Screenshots? Screenshots? - 10/08/03 10:50

Now THAT is cool. I'm curious -- how much does such processing decrease framerate? And how would that appear on my old ti4200?
Posted By: danthaman015

Re: Screenshots? Screenshots? - 10/08/03 11:39

this stuff looks pretty cool !!!

can't wait to try all of it out...

Re: Screenshots? Screenshots? - 10/09/03 04:00

Thanx tesanders. Really it doesnt slow framerates down much at all. Its only a Vetex Shader, and they can run on cards as old as the hills. But enless I find an alternate method of blending textures, I might have to use a Pixel Shader to do it. In that case very few cards will be able to run this shader.
Posted By: Doug

Re: Screenshots? Screenshots? - 10/09/03 05:02

Quote:

... Its only a Vetex Shader, and they can run on cards as old as the hills. ...

I may be incorrect, but I think only cards newer then ATI8x00+ and GeForce3+ can handle Vertex Shading in hardware.

When I think "old as the hills" I think TNT and Voodoo.

Re: Screenshots? Screenshots? - 10/09/03 08:49

Quote:

I may be incorrect, but I think only cards newer then ATI8x00+ and GeForce3+ can handle Vertex Shading in hardware.

When I think "old as the hills" I think TNT and Voodoo.

You may be right, but when I think of "as old of the hills" I think of my ald Rage Ati Pro 4mb Graphics Controller Now that thing was a beast of all kinds! yet it could run vertex shaders. (Even though it can't run A6! They stopped making drivers for it around the time of dx 8.0) But you are the expert Doug, so you may very well be correct.
Posted By: indiGLOW

Re: Screenshots? Screenshots? - 10/21/03 05:28

I would love to know how you did that grass/terrain. Please this is a fundemental to our game concept. TUT would be gr8!!!

Seriously any help on this would be greatly appreciated
Posted By: mk_1

Re: Screenshots? Screenshots? - 10/21/03 05:53

wait for the A6 update and then just apply the material shader to your terrain. Easy ain't it?

Re: Screenshots? Screenshots? - 10/21/03 05:54

the shader (you can look at the source in the <terrain multitexturing shader> thread) takes three textures as input.

the first texture of the terrain on the screenshot was a tillable grass texture and the second one a tillable texture with soil and some dry grass.

the third texture's alpha channel (which doesn't get tiled) specifies how the first and second texture get blended. for example if a pixel in the alpha channel has a value of 64, the shader mixes 25% of texture one and 75% of texture two together at this location.

Re: Screenshots? Screenshots? - 10/21/03 08:15

Im obviously being a little slow...

I understand how the effect is achieved now but still do not get how to implement it. Looked through A6 manuals for shader info without success...lol I know I am being a real newbie here...

btw: I copied pasted code from example you quoted and got some...interesting script errors and nothing more..lol I am sure that is becuase I have messed something up.....I am not using template_6 files....as template files have been modified as they did not suit game....also I like to learn things from the ground up to get a better understanding of what I am doing....

Anyway I am getting off the subject....

Is this effect possible due to the Material.wdl or is this a DirectX shader thing? Or infact both? If there is a tut on the basics could you point me @ it...

Again thankyou for your patience and all your help.

Re: Screenshots? Screenshots? - 10/21/03 08:31

shader support is still in beta. you will have to wait for 6.2 which jcl announced for about december...

Re: Screenshots? Screenshots? - 10/21/03 10:15

Yes if you are not part of the Conitec Beta team, then you won't have the shader features quite yet. So far the versions that support them is 6.12 and up. (The highest public version is 6.11) But don't be sad, you will get them probably before the end of this current conitec contest, or so I hear.

Re: Screenshots? Screenshots? - 10/21/03 19:11

no wonder they couldn't be implemented! lol

Ok so you have to be a beta tester....how do you get a hold of the beta version?
We need to be developing the environment and everyone knows grass is the new rain effect...lol We need grass, trees and other shrubs....lol

Well I will mail conitec about beta versions, thanks again guys

Posted By: Templar

Re: Screenshots? Screenshots? - 10/22/03 15:56

Well, i'm sorry but i just have to ask a question too - when you say that the two textures are tiled, you're speaking about level geometry or would it be possible to tile this way even models ?

T.

Re: Screenshots? Screenshots? - 10/22/03 17:58

As a A6 Pro owner I should be on the beta team, I have sent conitec an email but so far no response.

Ventilator, could that terrain effect be combined with detail maps or would that be an exercise in pointlessness...

Basically I want to make my terrain look good up close and at a distance, and to fade in shader based grass and shrub effects in key areas, all without ruining the FPS... From what you've been doing so far with the new beta functions does this look possible?

Again can this all be done later, i.e retro fitted to the environment? I presume it is.

Re: Screenshots? Screenshots? - 10/22/03 19:20

this shader is very useful for terrains but it also works with models without any modification.

adding detail maps would be no problem!
Posted By: Drew

Re: Screenshots? Screenshots? - 10/23/03 18:11

Put Ventilator's Cubic reflection on Newton Physics objects works nicely, amazing to see the reflection shift as the object sways! Nice work Ventilator!!!

Re: Screenshots? Screenshots? - 10/23/03 21:17

Once i get my hands on a Beta I will be experimenting with this.... mainly for terrain objects for now anyway....

Re: Screenshots? Screenshots? - 10/26/03 23:27

I have emailed conitec about beta testing twice, I own A6 Pro, I am registered to use this forum etc etc....

Someone point me in the right direction please, we really need those shaders....

BETA BETA BETA PLZ PLZ PLZ lol

Re: Screenshots? Screenshots? - 10/27/03 01:08

Quote:

I have emailed conitec about beta testing twice, I own A6 Pro, I am registered to use this forum etc etc....

Someone point me in the right direction please, we really need those shaders....

BETA BETA BETA PLZ PLZ PLZ lol

Quote:

Edition, and meet at least one of the following requirements:

a) you have created a commercial quality game, or
b) you have developed an useful tool or plugin for GameStudio, or
c) you have written a major tutorial or a book about GameStudio, or
d) you are a professional C++/DirectX programmer.

Re: Screenshots? Screenshots? - 10/27/03 03:14

All top criteria is met, I am a furum member [as far as i know], I own the A6 Pro and im english, as for the remainder.

a:) We are developing a commercial game with A6 for a mainstream commercial client and as such need to be as cutting edge as possible.
b:) We are not in the market to create releasable GS tools , but if we develop them we will make them freely available.
c:) Ok so you got me there...
d:) I am personally qualified in C & C++ programing, working extensivly as a system designer/programmer since 1989. Working for blue chip corporations as well as 12 months working at a Gov level. Other members of our team here are working in other fields of graphics including DirX in 2D and 3D.

The real crux of the matter is simply this. We intend to deliver a commercially competative game for a specific market, one that is extreamly critical. As such the ability to be working with the latest technologies whilst they are being developed and implemented is crucial. We are looking at fully licensing A6 for commercial release and are extreamly confident that our client will want to take our product to mainstream release, i.e PS2-3, X-Box1-2 etc not just PC.

I understand that currently this is an area of development and as such you do not wish to release copies of this to everyone, you require accurate and insisive feedback not 'how does this work' type questions...

I hope this helps clarify our position, and that someone can help.

Posted By: Alexander Esslinger

Re: Screenshots? Screenshots? - 10/27/03 03:34

After all, the purpose of this topic is to show screenshots not to discuss if you're qualified as beta tester or not (just mail jcl if you want to join the beta testers).

And to go back on topic, here are two pics of a very early cartoon shader:

Posted By: old_bill

Re: Screenshots? Screenshots? - 10/27/03 03:53

Wow, nice effect!
What´s the target you are working on, a cell-shading shader or one like this?

old_bill

Re: Screenshots? Screenshots? - 10/27/03 06:26

nice... reminds me of the toonish' shader used in xbox's grabbed by ghoulies...

Re: Screenshots? Screenshots? - 10/27/03 20:45

Fair enough, topic is pics not beta....but then would you be saying that if you didn't have the beta? A friend posted me saying he has been trying to become a beta tester for a few years now, and thinks that you have to be from germany to be a beta tester..

The most frustrating thing is that we purchased A6 on the understanding that all new updates, releases and betas would be made freely available to us, and that support for 12 months, but the support seems to be provided by other people like your self..

No matter I will continue to pursue this outside of this thread until we have our own pics to show... I emailed JCL as you suggested. Thanks for your help.

Re: Screenshots? Screenshots? - 10/27/03 22:33

@indiGlow, I am not German (I live in the U.S.) yet I am a beta tester.

@Alexander Esslinger, that is a very neat effect. As you see in my earlier post, I tried to do a toon shader, and it worked, but I never got it to output the U.V. Can you give me a hand?

Posted By: jcl

Re: Screenshots? Screenshots? - 10/28/03 00:45

Indiglow: If you meet the criteria you can become beta tester, but first you must apply by email - and we've received nothing from you so far. Please check.

Re: Screenshots? Screenshots? - 10/28/03 01:43

Thankyou,

sorry plz could you post the correct email, i sent to support@conitec.com but obviously not the right mail. Thankyou for your patience. and again apologies to other furum readers, for disturbing the peace
Posted By: msKEN

Re: Screenshots? Screenshots? - 10/28/03 08:15

If you click on beta on the bottom of the forum you will gain all the knowlage you need in the first 2 paragraphs.

Quote:

Edition, and meet at least one of the following requirements:

a) you have created a commercial quality game, or
b) you have developed an useful tool or plugin for GameStudio, or
c) you have written a major tutorial or a book about GameStudio, or
d) you are a professional C++/DirectX programmer.

For applying, please email me at jcl @ conitec.net, and also give your
forum name and your Gamestudio user ID and password (this is an
exception from the rule not to give your password to anyone).

Re: Screenshots? Screenshots? - 10/28/03 08:40

Let me see if I can stop this beta tester talk... c'mon guys this is for screenshots...

Here's my crappy zombie model with ventilators bump mapping shader...really needs to be seen in motion...

Re: Screenshots? Screenshots? - 10/28/03 10:28

Did vent come up with his own bump mapping shader? Or is that the dot3 one included w/ the beta?
Posted By: Matt_Aufderheide

Re: Screenshots? Screenshots? - 10/28/03 13:37

If you read through the thread below on dot 3 bump mapping
you will see that ventilator has devised a per-pixel diffuse shader. This is far beyond the dot 3 example which is a really a fixed function routine. here is the shader code that i have implemented based on ventilators code:
Code:
 material mat_diffuseperpixel
{

flags = tangent;
effect =
"
texture texSkin1;
texture texSkin2;
matrix matWorldViewProj;
matrix matWorld;
matrix matWorldView;
vector vecSkill41;
vector vecFog;
vector vecLight;

technique diffuseperpixel
{
pass p0
{
Texture[0]=<texSkin1>;
Texture[1]=<texSkin2>;

VertexShaderConstant[0]=<matWorldViewProj>;
VertexShaderConstant[4]=<matWorld>;
VertexShaderConstant[8]=<matWorldView>;
VertexShaderConstant[16]=<vecSkill41>;
VertexShaderConstant[17]=<vecFog>;
VertexShaderConstant[18]=<vecLight>;
VertexShaderConstant[95]=(0.5f,0.0f,0.0f,0.0f);

VertexShader=
decl
{
stream 0;
float v0[3]; //position
float v3[3]; //normal
float v7[3]; //uv
float v8[3]; //tangent
}
asm
{
vs.1.1

m4x4 oPos,v0,c0 // transform vertexpos to clip space
mov oT0,v7 // output uvs
mov oT1,v7 // output uvs

mov oD1,c18 //output light color

m3x3 r5,v8,c4 // transform tangent to world space
m3x3 r7,v3,c4 // transform normal to world space

mul r0,r5.zxyw,-r7.yzxw // tangent x normal -> binormal
mad r6,r5.yzxw,-r7.zxyw,-r0

m4x4 r10,v0,c4 // transform vertexpos to world space
sub r10,r10,c16 // lightdir=vertexpos-lightpos
dp3 r10.w,r10,r10 // renormalize it
rsq r10.w,r10.w
mul r10,r10,r10.w

dp3 r8.x,r5,r10 // transform lightdir to texture space
dp3 r8.y,r6,r10
dp3 r8.z,r7,r10
mad oD0.xyz,r8.xyz,c95.x,c95.x

mov r1.w,c17.w // r1.w=1
dp4 r0,v0,c10 // distance to camera position
add r0,r0,-c17.x // distance-fog_start
mad r0.x,-r0.x,c17.z,r1.w // 1-(distance-fog_start)*(1/(fog_end-fog_start))
max oFog.x,r0.x,c95.w // clamp with custom max value

};

PixelShader=
asm
{
ps.1.3
tex t0 // sample colormap
tex t1 // sample normalmap
dp3_sat r1,t1_bx2,v0_bx2 // normal . light

// mul_x2 r1,r1,v1 // modulate light intensity against light color

add r1,r1,v1 //add light

mul r0,t0,r1 // modulate against base color

};
}
}
";
}

this is still an evolving effect.. and lacks some things like true ambience.. right now i hacked in the ambient value.. alhough it is setup for point lights it needs a function to pass particular light vectors..i assume this can be developed with the next beta.. which i believe will have beter support for lighting.. But try it though and you will sold forever on per-pixel lighting

Re: Screenshots? Screenshots? - 10/28/03 15:30

reflective animated water (environment mapped shader)

Its an animated mesh with the reflective shader, not truly reactive and reflective water, but a very cool effect.

Its a quick and dirty animation...someday I'll do it right.
I'll only be able to keep it posted for a day or two...bandwith...if you have problems viewing it directly, right click save as.

Video (divx):

Water Video here
Posted By: Wizard1218

Re: Screenshots? Screenshots? - 10/29/03 05:31

The water looks so dirty . . . and yet so beautiful . . .

Thanks for sharing, it looks awesome!

Re: Screenshots? Screenshots? - 10/29/03 07:36

Bath time anyone? Nice n dirty...maybe slow the animation make it more stagnent and yacky....ewwww

nice though
© 2024 lite-C Forums