Lightmap

Posted By: VoodooFactory

Lightmap - 02/14/04 21:31

Hi all,

I don't know that much about shader programming, but I was wondering if it would be possible to implement a sort of fake lightmap using shaders. Anyone who has used Maya knows that you can add a greyscale bitmap to a light, which produces an uneven light on your models. For example, if you have a forest scene, you can make a light pattern fall on your scene, as if beams of light were falling through the openings in the canape, without having to actually model every single leaf and branch.
I would be very cool if this could also be done in 3DGS. I would imagine that it wouldn't take much more processing power than your average shader.
Posted By: Marco_Grubert

Re: Lightmap - 02/18/04 06:15

The technique you are looking for is called projective textures. So far I have not seen anyone demonstrate this with A6 shaders, though it should be possible.
Posted By: Alexander Esslinger

Re: Lightmap - 02/18/04 07:07

I did a shader for projective textures some time ago, but it's not very usefull without combining it with depthbuffers, which isn't possible at the moment (at least not via a6).
Posted By: Whisper

Re: Lightmap - 02/18/04 07:25

little unsure of the effect you are talking about here one
done with shader in A6, that emit's rays.

Posted By: Drew

Re: Lightmap - 02/18/04 13:50

thats a strange shader... is it a full scene effect?
love to see a demo...

thanks

Posted By: ello

Re: Lightmap - 02/18/04 16:54

hey whisper, what are you doing there?? is it your way to extrude the object to gather shadows thru shader? reminds me of a picture i saw on this theme...
Posted By: Whisper

Re: Lightmap - 02/19/04 09:59

using extrude. but bringing shader into world view in asm,
in action added ent_rotate for extra effects.in you fx
use this on your first or third pass mov r1.w,c20.w in the screenshot i stopped the rotation inorder for the picture to be more visable for everyone.

© 2024 lite-C Forums