Real-time Global Illumination

Posted By: 3run

Real-time Global Illumination - 06/21/11 15:15

Is there any examples similar to this in GS?
Quake 2 Real-time Global Illumination
I loved those dynamic shadows and shadows from flashlight.
Posted By: Hummel

Re: Real-time Global Illumination - 06/21/11 16:02

Foxfire implemented an indirect illumination but it was too slow for in-game usage.
I wanted to implement cascaded LPVs, the technique the Cry3 uses, but had too much trouble with GS related issues.
That was the point when I started to write my own DX10 framework for graphics programming...

Re: Real-time Global Illumination - 06/21/11 16:07

Your own DX10 framework for GS? blush If yes, will it be free or commercial? If commercial is there anyway to preorder now and get discount? grin

Re: Real-time Global Illumination - 06/21/11 17:25

Itīs a standalone tool. Has nothing to do with GS.

Re: Real-time Global Illumination - 06/21/11 17:41

Ohh.. thats sad.. So my question is still actual, is there any example of this? And is it even possible to make with GS?
Posted By: Superku

Re: Real-time Global Illumination - 06/21/11 18:16

There once was a flashlight script with texture projection and normal mapping in an AUM (could be that it is by Foxfire, I don't know, the author's name is Joseph Duffey Jan). It's ps 2.0 and runs pretty fast, too.

EDIT: I'm not pretty sure what Global Illumination stands for but I don't know what you are really looking for, too, just the flashlight?
Posted By: HeelX

Re: Real-time Global Illumination - 06/21/11 18:27

GI is kinda the sibling to shadow mapping. Global illumination algorithms take into account not only the light which comes directly from a light source (direct illumination -> shadowmapping!), but also subsequent cases in which light rays from the same source are reflected by other surfaces in the scene, whether reflective or non (indirect illumination).
Posted By: darkinferno

Re: Real-time Global Illumination - 06/21/11 18:33

i ran some tests to fake GI using the last shadeC beta, basically each light was two light sources, its certainly not great but it beats the direct lighting by miles ... as for speed, wasnt bad, plus my pc sucks so i assume it acceptable for most laugh

Re: Real-time Global Illumination - 06/21/11 18:33

No, not just the flashlight, the example which is in the picture above made by Grafton I think, I got that one from AUM. But to be honest I don't really like it, shadows are terrible and not realistic... And there are no dynamic and static lights as well... But even if there were, it's not what I'm looking for. About Global Illuminations, in the video at "0.13" you can see how walls are illuminating by flashlight. When he points with flashlight to the right, you can see illumination on the left wall, same for the right side when he points to the left wall as well. This way lights, shadows and illumination itself are really looking awesome and very realistic! I hope this could be made with GS, cause as we can see from the video, it was made without any problems on old Quake's (2) engine.

Dark@: screens are really pretty laugh
The thing I don't really like is, that most of sweet stuff in GS is always faked... Yeah, at least now we have real HDR which isn't really a new...
Posted By: darkinferno

Re: Real-time Global Illumination - 06/21/11 18:50

well it doesnt matter to the end-user what is faked or not, aslong as it works, realtime just sometimes makes it easier for the developer, unless making a dynamic world
Posted By: JibbSmart

Re: Real-time Global Illumination - 06/21/11 18:55

3run, everything in games is faked. Everything -- not just in GS. You've just got to try and strike a balance between believability and efficiency.

Jibb
Posted By: Rei_Ayanami

Re: Real-time Global Illumination - 06/21/11 18:58

"The thing I don't really like is, that most of sweet stuff in GS is always faked... "

REAL global illumination cannot be achieved easy - not in Gamestudio, no in Unity or whatsoever. The video shows the illumination of just one light, and i guess it wont use many traces or many reflections.

but what do we count as real...

Re: Real-time Global Illumination - 06/21/11 19:03

Yeah, that's true. But I really wish that someday GS will have enough examples and build-in shaders, effects and so on, so beginners and users which aren't good with shaders and effects could use/learn em. I never really saw anything similar to what we can see on that video, made by GS, I'm not saying that it's impossible to do, but I just never got a chance to see/use it frown

Rei@: could you please read description of the video? And why you need traces for reflections?
Posted By: Rei_Ayanami

Re: Real-time Global Illumination - 06/21/11 19:16

Thats basically how that "reflections" work.
(at least from what I read about GI - and what I tested when using them non real time)
Posted By: texcoord3

Re: Real-time Global Illumination - 09/06/11 22:52

@Hummel - I have returned =]
Actually - I have a new system that is extraordinarily fast. Better yet, I invented a new technique "WSAO" which provides the highest quality ambient occlusion and radiosity effects for fully dynamic scenes in real-time (at real-time frame rates in large scenes). Sadly the second technique cannot be applied to Gamestudio as it requires dx10.1 or higher.

Check out the gallery or my page for screens and feel free to ask me questions =]

-Texcoord3 (foxfire)-

Re: Real-time Global Illumination - 09/07/11 06:20

Iīll take a look.

EDIT: link?
Posted By: rojart

Re: Real-time Global Illumination - 09/07/11 09:25

maybe this one: http://texcoord3.wordpress.com/gallery/
and here:
https://sites.google.com/site/fathomsoft/
http://www.moddb.com/engines/oct-nine/images
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Black-Gadget-Studios/184491628238808