Height map on normal alpha

Posted By: djfeeler

Height map on normal alpha - 08/16/14 10:23

Hello,

I would want to make a parallax effect but there is a problem the manuel says" Requires height map one normal alpha ". I know know how to make normal map but I do not know how to make a height map. Tell me how to make.

Thanks in advance.

Djfeeler
Posted By: Kartoffel

Re: Height map on normal alpha - 08/16/14 10:31

Well, you either generate it (looks like shit => do not do this) or create it by hand.

Actually you can also use some kind of combination of both methods (I usually do this) but you'll still have to do a lot of hand panting and modifying.
If the heightmap isn't accurate or doesn't match to the shape of the texture you're trying to paint/generate it's useless, so reconsider if you really want to use this.

And btw.: Normalmaps are usually much better when theyre generated from high quality heightmaps.

Re: Height map on normal alpha - 08/16/14 22:11

What software you use to do it?

Re: Height map on normal alpha - 08/16/14 22:15

pretty much any advanced image editing program works photoshop/gimp/whatever.

Re: Height map on normal alpha - 08/16/14 22:24

I need a software to do it all alone from a picture. Is there a software?

I tested a box model that comes from the shader test. There is the normalmap and after there alpha is checked and we can extract the alpha image that is height map.

Re: Height map on normal alpha - 08/16/14 23:45

Originally Posted By: djfeeler
I need a software to do it all alone from a picture. Is there a software?

Err, again: generated heightmaps are extremely bad and the result is in almost every case not realistic and usually even worse than without any displacement mapping.

In case you still want to use generated heightmaps: I don't know any program, sorry.

Re: Height map on normal alpha - 08/18/14 05:22

Thanks for your response ^^ I found a free software making heightmap N3wton Map.
© 2024 lite-C Forums