How to offset a vertex in world space instead of object space

Posted By: jumpman

How to offset a vertex in world space instead of object space - 06/13/18 01:11

Hello shader friends

How would I, in a vertex shader(DX9, ps.vs.3), move a vertex in an axis in world space instead of object space? So I would be able to shove a vertex 4 units in the X axis within the model, but if I rotate the model/scale it move it, the moved vertex would be still moved in the X axis of the world, instead of the X axis of the object space?

So for example, I moved a vertex forward on a model's forehead towards NORTH pole. Then I rotate the model, or animate it, or move it, the vertex would still be pointing NORTH?
Posted By: txesmi

Re: How to offset a vertex in world space instead of object space - 06/13/18 09:04

Hi,
'matWorld' matrix transforms coordinates from object space to world space, and 'matViewProj' tranforms from world space to projected space.

Code:
float3 outWorld = mul(inPos, matWorld).xyz; 
outWorld.x += _offset;
outPos = mul(float4(outWorld, 1.0f), matViewProj);

Salud!
Posted By: jumpman

Re: How to offset a vertex in world space instead of object space - 06/13/18 23:16

Thank you Txesmi

The following seems to work as well, is there a reason?

Code:
float4 texShove = tex2Dlod(waveSampler,float4(inTex.x,inTex.y,0,0));
float3 offset = float3(600,0,0);
inPos += mul(offset,matWorldInv );  // matWorldInv

matWorldInv is the inverse.
Posted By: mk_1

Re: How to offset a vertex in world space instead of object space - 06/14/18 08:03

The "reason" is that you take an offset of 600 in world coordinates, and transform this offset into object space. After that I assume you use the usual matWorldViewProj transformation.

This works but I consider txesmi's solution more readable.
Posted By: txesmi

Re: How to offset a vertex in world space instead of object space - 06/15/18 07:11

@jumpman
On your method, it needs one matrix multiplication more in order to pass the world coordinates to the pixel shader for lighting purposes. Another side-effect is that 'matWorldInv' is not used on normal rendering an it has to be specifically computed, while 'matWorld' is always computed as multiplicand of 'matWorldViewProj'.

Salud!
© 2024 lite-C Forums