goodbyes :)

Posted By: darkinferno

goodbyes :) - 03/28/12 02:14

Welll....

I just wanted to say my goodbyes to the people here at the forums, for those who have helped to bring me so far, 3dgs was my first serious game engine but thanks to the lack of efforts of "the man", i'll be walking away;

Ive had several arguments with teammembers, trying to get them to stay but none of my arguments compete with switching to a new engine, in the end, this isnt a hobby for me, I'm seeking some sort of success as a game designer but quite frankly I'm sick and tired of having to say "what do i have to take out or workaround for this to work in 3dgs", its annoying;

I know i can make something successful here but not at the quality i want it, atleat not in any reasonable time;

With that said, i'm moving to unity, i might make a FEW small projects here and there or work on what i already have but thats about it, i'm still helping someone with a project though so i HOPE he can get to where i didnt with this engine;

special thanks to:
EvilSob
Ratchet
Helghast
Boh_havoc
Rei_Ayanami
Mr_Guest
MasterQ32

there are others but these are whom i'm remembering off the top of my head

Well, thats it, if theres any code anyone saw in any of my games and are interested in, just leave a reply HERE and i'l try to contribute it when i have time, though honestly, i cant say my games have done anything 'difficult'

laugh

an history of my projects:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QlxHrAEz-0c
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mTRzFY-_XBM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_q524cEQHOI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9IOuJAjoMpQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dF5_xJusKmA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQ2gHITBUYE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2nVj3NN2Mg4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pEgNcdlSoI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOrZBBBITYY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4isYeoyw9c
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PY4yDPsiAl4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlWzEkbaATY

the size of this community seems like it would make more sense if they all worked together on one project to me though ^^

well, thats it, i'll still visit the forums from time to time but it'll only be to help or make contributions if needed;

I wouldve uploaded my proejcts but i cant say i'm fond of the spaghetti coding ^^ but i dont mind ripping them apart
Posted By: Superku

Re: goodbyes :) - 03/28/12 02:52

Bye! wink
Posted By: JibbSmart

Re: goodbyes :) - 03/28/12 03:10

That's sad... but understandable. See you around.
Posted By: 3run

Re: goodbyes :) - 03/28/12 06:39

I wish you best luck with new engine and gamedev mate. Sad to hear that you are leaving.
Posted By: gri

Re: goodbyes :) - 03/28/12 06:44

good luck and maybe you'll return after your trip with unity
Posted By: painkiller

Re: goodbyes :) - 03/28/12 09:37

Bye! good luck with Unity
Posted By: Tempelbauer

Re: goodbyes :) - 03/28/12 10:30

so then, goodbye and good luck

Quote:
and maybe you'll return after your trip with unity

right, you´re welcome laugh
Posted By: Quad

Re: goodbyes :) - 03/28/12 10:58

Bye!
Posted By: Harry Potter

Re: goodbyes :) - 03/28/12 11:59

Posted By: EvilSOB

Re: goodbyes :) - 03/28/12 12:52

Damn! Ah well ... see you around dude!

Remember to stop in and say 'hiya' every now and then...

Best of luck.
Posted By: PadMalcom

Re: goodbyes :) - 03/28/12 21:15

Good luck on the way to the new engine.

Some advice for your personal future (Don't be mad with me, it is just a joke wink ):

http://www.rhein-zeitung.de/cms_media/module_img/800/400389_1_articlepopup_ScreenShot020.jpg
Posted By: Rei_Ayanami

Re: goodbyes :) - 03/28/12 21:17

(PadMalcom, how should he understand this..?)

Thanks for the mentioning and goodbye! Probably we will see each other again in the unity forums! [switching too ;)]

Re: goodbyes :) - 03/28/12 21:32

I thought he was German? laugh Otherwise -> Google Translator wink
Posted By: Hummel

Re: goodbyes :) - 03/28/12 21:50

Bye!
Posted By: Tempelbauer

Re: goodbyes :) - 03/28/12 22:15

Quote:
I thought he was German? Otherwise -> Google Translator

no, afaik he comes from the united states laugh

you may confound him with darksamurai
Posted By: HeelX

Re: goodbyes :) - 03/29/12 05:22

See ya back in Spring 2013.
Posted By: Joozey

Re: goodbyes :) - 03/29/12 05:46

If unity suits better to the type of games you make, you should certainly switch laugh. Pick an engine to fit your project, don't adapt your project to the engine.
Cheers and good luck!
Posted By: JoGa

Re: goodbyes :) - 03/29/12 06:51

frown Bye!
And good luck laugh
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: goodbyes :) - 03/29/12 07:07

Originally Posted By: darkinferno
Welll....

I just wanted to say my goodbyes to the people here at the forums...

you were too early for an April Fools Joke!
dont you think switching NOW is not the best time? What if Shade-C Final comes in the next few weeks suiting all your needs with your project?
Posted By: ratchet

Re: goodbyes :) - 03/29/12 08:56

well, thats it, i'll still visit the forums from time to time but it'll only be to help or make contributions if needed;

You are among the great people here in the forums that we appreciate a lot, i hope to see you here from time to time laugh

Your decision is good i think, if you have serious projects in mind you must target the software that allows you to reach what you have in mind.
But don't forget, any 3D Engine have it's own problems and workarounds, could it be more powerfull.

I hope to have news from you and your next project on some other 3D Engine laugh
Posted By: Widi

Re: goodbyes :) - 03/29/12 09:12

Good luck. Hope we see you sometimes here.
Posted By: lemming

Re: goodbyes :) - 03/29/12 10:00

Good luck for your future projects!
Posted By: sivan

Re: goodbyes :) - 03/30/12 08:22

bye,
did you make performance comparioson tests of the 2 engines for similar levels? if yes, I would be really interested in the results!
Posted By: gri

Re: goodbyes :) - 03/30/12 08:41

I doubt that unity renders faster at the core than Acknex.

Its more the fluid workflow, multi-os-possibility, and sexy Editor of Unity bound with bad communication from JCL here at Gamestudio.
This is why some switched the engine.

Re: goodbyes :) - 03/31/12 08:37

@gri:
agreed, its kinda silly how many people I've seen there that tried GS, meaning, GS had a fair chance at grabbing a bite of the crowd, I was going to write my own editor but then i said.. why? Even if I make it game specific, I need to make changes if I start something else;

Its been good so far though, the workflow that is, based on what I see, setting up some troublesome stuff becomes really simple, rag-dolls, particles but what I love is the fact that it doesnt crash; for example how you'd get an error for ent_removing an object if a vec_for_vertex is being performed, which I thought was silly that they didn't just check if the object existed, and yes I know its easy to avoid but think about the "new" users, I've had so many people ask me my opinion on unity obviously seeking a reason to leave gamestudio, quite frankly, is sad, idk if GS creators probably lost interest and just doing basic support as "something on the side", within a month I think they could drastically start climbing in popularity if they made some decent decisions, what are you afraid of? Really?

Using Unity, I wouldnt say its all smooth though, some really simple stuff seems bullshit to set up, vector and quaternion calculations can get a bit confusing, atleast for me, I like what we're getting so far, a team member has already ported over WrathOfAngels and I'm working on what was suppose to be a "small shooter" so i can learn the systems.

However I still strongly standby the fact that coding in GS feels better, so I'll check back from time to time, especially after the new WED to see if returning makes sense wink

I don't know but for some reason, someone up top, seems to REALLY LIKE old stuff, I mean, they don't even want to change the Nintendo64 quality models, its 2012 for goodness sake, no one in their right mind would spend money on something with such a pathetic display, I know there will be those guys that see past that and see the beauty in the engine itself but as a game engine, your success lies in the majority, which 'the ones that think its fine as is' are not;

I wouldn't say unity is better, just depends on your needs but honestly, that line kind of goes down the drain when i hear i can build web versions with a click

Anyways, I'll get back at it, waiting for you to impress me GS wink

Re: goodbyes :) - 03/31/12 13:57

If you only put as much effort in some nice contributions like an own set of functions that dismiss all bugs you found as you put in complaining!

I do not want to be mean(!), this is just a hint for your future life. No company will keep you for a long time if you only complain how bad the tools are you have to work with instead of finding a way around these show stoppers and do your work ALTHOUGH you had problems. Think about that...
Posted By: FBL

Re: goodbyes :) - 03/31/12 14:13

I guess switching to a better suitable tool(chain) is alright.

Bye

Re: goodbyes :) - 03/31/12 14:28

I have all rights to "complain"

I have GAMES on my pc that cant be completed "the way i want" because of limitations in workflow;

Ive entered and won multiple contests, started several projects threads, all with demos, playtested several of my game beta's with selected community members or did you dismiss my list of past projects or found them 'uninteresting'?

Ive been very proud of my accomplishments with this engine actually, it points to one simple fact, I had been "finding a way around these show stoppers", so if you think i tried making a game and ran because of problems, youre really misinformed and i'm still working on a project with the engine, just not "my" project, a project that I know will still surprise a few community members wink

The forum is titled "Rant", so I talk my mind

I believe i'm allowed to complain if i feel like i'm being pushed from something i have so much invested in;

Still dont see how i was 'attacking gamestudio', ive never "complained" about the 'engine' but about the choices/lack of choices made by 'the powers that be'
Posted By: ventilator

Re: goodbyes :) - 03/31/12 14:57

Originally Posted By: PadMalcom
If you only put as much effort in some nice contributions like an own set of functions that dismiss all bugs you found as you put in complaining!

I do not want to be mean(!), this is just a hint for your future life. No company will keep you for a long time if you only complain how bad the tools are you have to work with instead of finding a way around these show stoppers and do your work ALTHOUGH you had problems. Think about that...

strange comparison.

gamestudio is a commercial product you have to pay for. at some point doing workarounds just doesn't make sense anymore. what's the point? if you have fun working on such stuff you better use an open source engine. then at least it's free and you have the source code to make your "workarounds" less clumsy and weird.

Re: goodbyes :) - 03/31/12 15:20

@darkinferno: Nevermind, you are allowed anytime anywhere to complain. Question is if it is worth it.

@ventilator: So you think all commercial software is bugfree? Ever heard about SAP for instance, or Microsoft Sharepoint? This software is way more expensive and is far from being bug free. But people do use it.
Posted By: ventilator

Re: goodbyes :) - 03/31/12 16:13

no, i don't think every software is bug free.

but if i spend money on an engine like gamestudio i expect to have some advantages over free solutions. that conitec does some of the work for me (for example provide user friendly tools). that i don't have to take care of every detail myself and waste a lot of time with workarounds for things that don't work properly.

for many users this isn't the case anymore with gamestudio.
Posted By: 3run

Re: goodbyes :) - 03/31/12 18:03

@ventilator +1, there is just nothing more to add, you've said it all! I agree with you.
Posted By: exile

Re: goodbyes :) - 04/01/12 04:32

Think of it this way. Say you were to buy a car. You have two cars in mind/ For the sake of Argument, we'll call them Car.A and Car.B. Now the Specs for Car.A

-Allows you to test drive/"own" the car for as long as you want without paying a cent.
-Comes with many nice features which expand when/if you decide to buy the car.
-Has a very lively/friendly community
-Has extra parts which are of high quality and are easy to find/install
-Comes with instruction on how to get the best from this car
-Whenever a new car comes out, they give you the new car free of charge as well as they spruce up your old features for you.

Now we have Car.B, the specs of Car.B are...

-The car comes with the bare basics, and the basics arent very attractive.
-Comes with a decent engine but with known issues
-Offers very little support on said issues beyond having to ask other owners of the same car
-If you want the car to look/function the way you want, you need to add extra parts made not by the manufacturer, but by other people who own the same car. But these additions might prevent your car from running.
-When the new version of this car comes out, you have to pay the maker of the car to get the new one. But they don't guarantee that your old features will work with the new one.
-The car is missing key features which other cars come with as a standard.
-Every time you call customer support, the line is strangely dead or if/when someone answers they give you a vague answer.

Now as an intelligent person and consumer, which one of these cars would you purchase?
Posted By: miez

Re: goodbyes :) - 04/01/12 17:11

I have the strong feeling to own car.b but it would interest me, what name car.a could probably have.
Because car.a sounds almost too good to be true in comparison to car.b.
Posted By: Quad

Re: goodbyes :) - 04/01/12 21:33

I agree to the main idea of the thread here... 3D Game Studio is not a "complete" game creation suite anymore. How does something becomes "incomplete" without losing any of it's parts is that "completeness" is relative. Going over the exile's car example, 25 years ago cars without airbags was complete, but now if a car does not have an airbag, it's not.

People should rather take gamestudio as a create-your-own-car kit, instead of being a complete car. You have to take it to the garage and get your self dirty and greased(i hope that sounds right...) before starting to actually use it. Doing so may cost more than just going and buying a complete car, but in the end you get a car fine tuned to your liking. And that's why some people still hold on to it. Others just go and buy a complete car, and enjoy traveling on wheels without all that hassle.

In the end it's about your needs or your personal liking. in darkinferno's case, he's done with messing with cars in grease. He liked the car he made, but it was not enough for hi. To keep working on his car would cost him too much and he sees he's better of getting a complete car, instead of working/investing more and completing the half-complete car. He needs a car that runs and he needs it now, so he goes and gets a "complete" car.
Posted By: exile

Re: goodbyes :) - 04/01/12 23:56

I dont want this thread to turn into a Unity vs 3DGS thread (as I am sure many of you would agree). I have a proposal for JCL. I want to believe in 3DGS, I really truly do. So show me something to make me want to say, "You know, maybe I wont go just yet". Taking Quad's example, I agree that 3DGS is like buying a build your own car kit. But to me, it feels like the kit consists of a 4 cylinder engine with 4 wheels and a free CD Case tongue

I tried to ask myself, "What is it about unity that makes me like it?" and I have an answer to that question. After playing with Unity I can say this, the interface (to me) scares me tongue But the finished product of a test level from unity using only assets provided by the package look worlds better than anything I have ever seen get made with the standard tools/assets for 3DGS.

So please JCL, I am a huge fan and I am sure many here are. Many of us WANT to support 3dgs. So show us that there will be a future, show us that this is still alive, show us what is over the horizon.
© 2024 lite-C Forums