War of the Worlds Tripod

Posted By: MadMark

War of the Worlds Tripod - 09/05/08 01:07

Hrumph, I guess I am losing my google search skills. I have just wasted 6 hours over the past 3 days looking for good reference pictures or models of the 2005 style War of the Worlds tripod. Frustrating.

Anybody got a decent set of top, bottom, and side views of one of these darlings, or better yet, a 3ds model that I can butcher up? Mine isn't too bad, but it's based on a single shot, and I'm sure it won't get great crits. Spielberg has nothing to worry about (yet).

Tripod1 - Very much a WIP.

Cheers!
Mark

Re: War of the Worlds Tripod - 09/06/08 21:06

Well, I guess nobody has any good images of these. Wonder why they are so hard to come by. So, here is my effort so far. Skinned it for now with an old space ship skin that I have kicking around. Not movie accurate, by any means, but a fair representation considering the materials available...

Man, animating a 3 legged walking machine is a royal pain.

Well, off to do a bit of level design.

Mark
Posted By: Blade280891

Re: War of the Worlds Tripod - 09/06/08 21:27

Google, i found this first image.

http://images.google.co.uk/images?q=war%20of%20the%20worlds&ie=UTF-8&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&sa=N&tab=wi

and

http://images.google.co.uk/images?um=1&hl=en&safe=off&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:official&q=war+of+the+worlds+tripod&revid=675456281&sa=X&oi=revisions_inline&resnum=0&ct=broad-revision&cd=2
Posted By: lostclimate

Re: War of the Worlds Tripod - 09/06/08 21:46

you might want to look into reducing the poly count in the legs a bit since they are adding a lot of polys to it but not a lot of detail/silhouette.
Posted By: Toast

Re: War of the Worlds Tripod - 09/06/08 21:51

Well if you really want to do sort of a copy of that movie's tripod design the legs are way too short. You can find some more pics here (although I can't remember how far they actually really were shown in the movie as there were either close-ups or it was night or something else):

http://www.moviesonline.ca/movie_gallery.php?id=4797

Here you'll find a good design sketch from the side:
http://waroftheworlds.wikia.com/wiki/Tripod

Here you'll also find a good screenshot from the movie where you actually can see a bit of one walker:
http://www.theblackvault.com/wiki/index.php/Tripod_(The_War_of_the_Worlds)

EDIT:
Oh - have a look at this model:
http://sketchup.google.de/3dwarehouse/details?mid=9032f086544af1c7200aa0cf8d41daac

Enjoy your meal
Toast
Posted By: Blade280891

Re: War of the Worlds Tripod - 09/06/08 21:57

Quote:
I have just wasted 6 hours over the past 3 days looking for good reference pictures or models of the 2005 style War of the Worlds tripod. Frustrating.

By the looks of it you didnt try very hard, did you even google war of the worlds?

Re: War of the Worlds Tripod - 09/06/08 21:57

Yeah, as I said, I went through over 6 hours of Google searches. This is probably one of the better pics, but it is an "artist's impression (look at the legs) and isn't something that I can model from. Like all the others out there, it's an FX shot. The lighting and the glows seem to be intent on hiding or distorting the shape of the craft. The one in the foreground appears to have a different shape than the one in the background. Pretty much any other craft or vehicle has blueprints, top, side, rear and bottom views that clearly show how the item was built. I guess that's why there aren't any 3d models of this craft. Oh well, I will just keep tweaking mine until I'm statisfied. Thanks for looking, Blade. Your second search produced a couple of new ones, including a side view I hadn't seen before.

Cheers!
Mark

Re: War of the Worlds Tripod - 09/06/08 22:05

Originally Posted By: Blade28081991
[quote]By the looks of it you didnt try very hard, did you even google war of the worlds?

Ah, yeah, whatever Blade. And your mother wears army boots.
Seriously, if you have nothing useful to add, why bother?

Mark

Re: War of the Worlds Tripod - 09/06/08 22:13

Originally Posted By: Toast
Well if you really want to do sort of a copy of that movie's tripod design the legs are way too short. You can find some more pics here (although I can't remember how far they actually really were shown in the movie as there were either close-ups or it was night or something else):

http://www.moviesonline.ca/movie_gallery.php?id=4797

You might be right, the legs might be short, I think I need a person or other object in there for scale.

Quote:
Here you'll find a good design sketch from the side:
http://waroftheworlds.wikia.com/wiki/Tripod

That's the one that I hadn't seen before.

Quote:
Here you'll also find a good screenshot from the movie where you actually can see a bit of one walker:
http://www.theblackvault.com/wiki/index.php/Tripod_(The_War_of_the_Worlds)

Yeah, that was where I got the general shape from. These damn shots are always so obscured. There's either too much fog, crappy lighting, or total bloody darkness. Guess those are the challenges.

Sketchup. Know of a converter for SKP to 3DS or X?

Cheers!
Mark

Re: War of the Worlds Tripod - 09/06/08 22:25

Originally Posted By: lostclimate
you might want to look into reducing the poly count in the legs a bit since they are adding a lot of polys to it but not a lot of detail/silhouette.

You're right, they do account for a lot of polys. I just deleted everything except one leg, foot and ball joint that meets the body. 146 polys. That's about 400 for all 3. I originally had just extruded cubes at about half the poly-count, but replaced them with cylinders, as this is what a player in-game would see first and most often. Figured I'd use the cubed legs in a LOD model. Might re-think that. Maybe cube the top portions of the legs.

Cheers!
Mark

EDIT: Compromised and replaced the top and middle portions of the legs only, since they shouldn't get a lot of view, and cubed them, and saved about 130 polys. The lowest part of the legs are still cylindrical to avoid the blocky look when planted motionless. Good call, LostClimate. I like an optimized model. They might look high-poly because the skin makes them look segmented, but in reality, each leg has only 8 sections, 4 of which are joints to avoid skin stretching when animating. I also stretched the legs to twice and a half the original length. Time to add a few dangling tentacles. If memory serves correctly, they looked a lot like squid tentacles. Round and tapered, then flairing out into a flat diamond shape...

Thanks for the help guys.
Mark

Re: War of the Worlds Tripod - 09/07/08 01:25

Here is the modified version with some tentacles hangin' low. The legs have been lengthened, and poly-reduced.

Above are the front and sides, below are the back and top.

Back up to 1473 vertices after adding the simple tentacles. Guess I should add the "human cages" to the underside rear. These should be a treat to model, and will definitely take me over my self-imposed 1500 poly limit. LOL. Lots of thin bits and intersections.

Cheers!
Mark
Posted By: ortucis

Re: War of the Worlds Tripod - 09/07/08 03:53

Looking good. I will have to give it a try as well (after seeing it in games like HL2 to UT) since Tripods are just plain fun.
Posted By: Joozey

Re: War of the Worlds Tripod - 09/08/08 00:55

It reminds me of a probe droid from star wars ^^
But nice job!
Posted By: indiGLOW

Re: War of the Worlds Tripod - 09/13/08 11:14

I needed a break from my Ai Pathfinding code and was inspired by this post, so I have also begun creating my own take on a War of the Worlds tripod.

I've tried to base mine on the tripod to the left in the background of the image above, whilst using the main image to provide a guide for the construction of the legs.

I hope you like the early renders showing my progress yesterday, C&C welcome smile

The model weighs in at 1,670 tris without the feelers. Currently the feelers are placeholder to give me a feel for the space the model will occupy.

My target is a total tri count around the 2k mark; Of course the legs could be instanced and connected to bones, which would save some performance.

I hope to create diffuse and normal maps and will post it in the contributions thread when I am done.

@Joozey: it really does, doesn't it!

EDIT: FYI the upper head can be seperated and could be replaced with varient heads, like the film...
Posted By: Espér

Re: War of the Worlds Tripod - 09/20/08 15:10

can some of you do the original Tripods from Jeff Waynes???

Here´s a picture of the Musical-CD:

That would be great ^^
Posted By: 3dworld

Re: War of the Worlds Tripod - 09/20/08 15:32

I going to modeling the original Tripods for you but I'm not quite sure how it will be from the back.So I'm going start to work but more pictures will be great.
If you still interested.I'll wait for your reply to start to work.

Re: War of the Worlds Tripod - 09/20/08 23:59

Well, it's not exactly like the picture, I call it an "artists's misconception". Whipped 'er up in about 2 hours, including skinning. 867 Vertices.

Looks kinda 'spier-ish. Any good?

Cheers!
Mark

Re: War of the Worlds Tripod - 09/21/08 11:06

YES.. With that i can work ^^
It´s not a problem to solve some issues.. ^^.. just a problem for me, to create those models in low-poly XD

@3dworld:
uhm.. these is the only picture.. searched me through my cd-inlay.. XD.. everytime you see them from the front.

Re: War of the Worlds Tripod - 09/21/08 18:02

Don't worry.I really start to work yesterday and the only thing need to finish are the textures maybe today in the night I'll post the pictures and if you liked I'll upload the model for free.I hope you liked, do my best.(more than 2 hours of modeling work without textures).

See ya tonight...

Re: War of the Worlds Tripod - 09/21/08 18:31

Sounds like 3dworld has you covered.

Cheers!

Re: War of the Worlds Tripod - 09/22/08 16:11

Those are the pictures of the model.I hope you liked.I can't textured because I was a really busy.But tomorrow I'll planed to finish the job.This is the best there I can do with the picture so I hope you don't mind if I mist something.

Posted By: Doof_Guy

Re: War of the Worlds Tripod - 09/22/08 23:28

wow that looks great, nice job 3dworld!!! smile

Re: War of the Worlds Tripod - 09/23/08 00:14

really really great work ^^

Re: War of the Worlds Tripod - 09/23/08 00:19

Thank you.I'm currently working on the textures.I planed to give a little more realistic aspect .Something like the textures used for the ships in Star Wars.

Finished!!! - 09/24/08 03:25

Hello again friends. I hope you enjoy this.The model is already finished. The textures are a bit disastrous but I don't think this is so bad after all(you will see). wink
So... enjoy and used well.Please let me know if you gonna used(no obligation you can, used for free in your projects).

Here is a picture of the final model and you can download in the link below the picture:

Download File

See ya next time.Let me know if any of you guys need something else.

Re: Finished!!! - 09/24/08 17:29

Yeah ^^
thank you.
Texture is no problem.. issues are fixed fast ^^

thx thx thx thx
Posted By: indiGLOW

Re: Finished!!! - 09/26/08 08:52

Nice work 3dworld really liking the old style tripod smile How many polies/tris is it?

Certainly an interesting subject I wonder if anyone is working on somekind of MMO war of the worlds game? would be great subject matter and a pretty complete world...

I really should finish my earlier model and submit it.

Keep up the good work guys smile

Re: Finished!!! - 09/28/08 02:27

Sorry the link is broken. I'll upload it again.

Re: Finished!!! - 10/04/08 21:53

3dworld,
Are you going to upload that model? I'd love to pull the legs off of that spider!

Cheers!
Mark
© 2024 lite-C Forums