FireFly Lighting

Posted By: Foxfire

FireFly Lighting - 12/01/08 18:18

Hi, I have a VERY early implementation of the shadow mapping system. If you would like to see a small demo, please email me at:
Mauerbach@comcast.net

the demo features a simple room with 2 omni-directional lights casting shadows. I made a simple interface so that you can switch between Shadow Mapping, Variance Shadow Mapping, Stencil Shadow Mapping, and no shadows. You can also set the level of shadow bluring and even between 3 algorithems of shadow bluring! You move with asdw and the mouse, move the lights with ijkl and can change the colors and attenuations in real time.

-Mike-

NOTE!!!!
you should only use this demo if you have a GeForce 8/9 series NVidia card or the equivelent ATI card. Your graphics card must support RGBA32 bit texture formats. I might make a compressed texture version later, but I figured most people have cards with these shader caps.

Re: FireFly Lighting - 12/01/08 18:38

Here are 2 shots from a simple test level I made. Sorry for the link formats, I don't have much time to figure out how to link pictures properly. Off to work - Mike

[EDITED] Fixed the img links.
Posted By: Dark_samurai

Re: FireFly Lighting - 12/01/08 18:45

Looks cool!

It's always nice to see people working on dynamic shadowmapping.
Posted By: Quad

Re: FireFly Lighting - 12/01/08 20:48

why not uplading demo here? if you look from contrubition side,...

i mean this thread is more suitable for projects page.

Anyway it looks ver cool, ill email you to see that demo.

Re: FireFly Lighting - 12/02/08 19:42

Hey,
I JUST finished the demo (2:40 ET).
Unfortunatley, the demo is ~24 mb and my email accounts won't let me send an attachment that big. I will either reduce the size or make a quick solution.
-Mike-

edit:

I am now uploading it to rapidshare.com

I'll send you back emails and upload the link in a minute.

Re: FireFly Lighting - 12/02/08 19:49

Link for download:
http://rapidshare.com/files/169603825/fireflydemo.cd.zip.html
Posted By: Slin

Re: FireFly Lighting - 12/02/08 20:33

Next time please set mipmaps for the textures andmake it not THAT dark.
Also please have future techdemos starting in a window or at least not with such a low resolution.

Other then that, I have to say that you did a nice job on this smile The shadowresolution is a little too little for my taste and your vsm is somehow not as soft as I remember it to be from my own experiences.
It would be great if you could share some information on what technique you are using to realize those pointlights. Are you using cubemaps or something different?
And I currently donīt see why this is a contribution, but anyways, nice work so far smile

Re: FireFly Lighting - 12/02/08 21:48

thanks,
sorry about the resolution. All the code is set up for my computer (1440x900). I completley forgot to make it adjustable!
-Mike-
Posted By: Loopix

Re: FireFly Lighting - 12/02/08 23:00

Looks pretty good so far. Why not making a bigger demo-scene...maybe even an outdoor level?? This would give better references about speed and other issues that are hard to avoid.

Keep up the work!
Posted By: Reigel_Seven

Re: FireFly Lighting - 12/02/08 23:28

I'm gonna download this when I'm off work. Thanks man, looking forward to the finished source!

EDIT: The file can only be downloaded 10 times. It reached its limit before I could get to it! Bummer...
Posted By: Dark_samurai

Re: FireFly Lighting - 12/03/08 06:39

Why not making the light sources move around?

Looks good so far.
Posted By: croman

Re: FireFly Lighting - 12/03/08 14:07

it looks quite good but still you'll need to show us little more of FireFly power.

Make a bigger levels. Make both indoor and outdoor level. Then on some places for indoor levels use moving lights, like swinging ceiling lamp or some other moving object.
For outdoor level you can make sun moving and let us adjust it's speed.

Also some other customizable options should be implemented.
Anyway i hope you'll create something like that smile

Re: FireFly Lighting - 12/03/08 14:38

Originally Posted By: cerberi_croman
you'll need to show us little more of FireFly power.

He doesnīt have to do anything...

If you would read the readme, you would know that there are quite a few things to adjust on your own.

As far as I get it, this technique is for pointlights and not for far away directional lights like the sun. There will be heavy aliasing when using this technique for the sun. Aliasing should get more the further the shadowcaster is away from the light.
Posted By: croman

Re: FireFly Lighting - 12/03/08 16:34

Quote:

you'll need to show us little more of FireFly power.

He doesnīt have to do anything...

it wasn't an order, just a suggestion smile

Quote:

If you would read the readme, you would know that there are quite a few things to adjust on your own.

As far as I get it, this technique is for pointlights and not for far away directional lights like the sun. There will be heavy aliasing when using this technique for the sun. Aliasing should get more the further the shadowcaster is away from the light.

ok i get it. but i haven't been able to download that demo cause it's 10 downloads limit had expired and due to that i didnt know

Re: FireFly Lighting - 12/03/08 18:43

Hey,
for all of you who didn't grab the demo fast enough:
Thorsten (tkunze) has been kind enough to allow me to upload the demo to his website! He should post the link to the download when he gets a chance. Thank him for this smile

Also, as Slin said, the lights ARE customizable in real time. In fact, they are not movable on a path, but can be moved quickly by the user (hold down right mouse)! Please read the directions/readme! There is a reason why I wrote it.

Slin, you are right about the aliasing, however, it might be possible to adjust the texture storage to be able to store such large distances (and squared distances) such as using a rgba32bit texture and using 2 channels (64bits!) for each value. This should be similar to a 4 byte double variable.

-Mike-
Posted By: jigalypuff

Re: FireFly Lighting - 12/03/08 18:45

Here it is cerberi

Re: FireFly Lighting - 12/03/08 18:45

oh yeah, If anyone is interested in working with me to improve the shaders, I can supply the source code. I am not interested in giving it out to everyone (yet) though. -Mike-

Re: FireFly Lighting - 12/03/08 19:07

One channel for the distance should be enough, maybe two for the squared distance but I guess that also there a 32bit floating point channel is enough. I was refering to the limited texture resolution which is responsible for aliasing.
Posted By: tkunze

Re: FireFly Lighting - 12/03/08 19:55

I was obviously to slow.

Downloadlink Firefly Demo #2

It's really a nice demo and it is much better than everything i achieved so far. Also the dirty look of the level looks great.
What i am interested in is to see how the approach works on outdoor levels because this is what i am working on.
And as expected you need some decent hardware to achieve good fps (my nVidia 7600 system dropped to 8 fps on 1280x1024, my 8800 GTS system achieved constantly 60 fps).

Keep on the good work.
Posted By: Orange Brat

Re: FireFly Lighting - 12/04/08 00:54

Upload it to www.mediafire.com and post the link if there are any future hiccups with downloads.
© 2024 lite-C Forums