Massive code giveaway

Posted By: Rhuarc

Massive code giveaway - 11/08/03 11:27

As some of you know, I will no longer be developing in the 3DGS mainstream as of the end of the year. At the end of the year I will be releasing all of my code (exluding that done for clients) for public domain. Also, up to that point I will be working on all free resources for the community. Post what you would like here and I will try to get it done for you in that time. I am planning finishing the last of my AI development in this timeperiod as well. From here I am going to be developing my own engine and have a deal for doing a game using Torque, partnering up with Ken Beard.

It's been a great 5 years , just time to move on.

-Rhuarc
Posted By: in_christ

Re: Massive code giveaway - 11/08/03 12:03

great to hear you are doing so well ,that sounds like a good deal you
are getting into. I hope everything works out for you. As far as code goes
anything you give would be great , thanks for thinking about how to leave
3Dgs ,you helped alot of people alone the way and on your way out your
still helping thats cool. Its just real kindness and character thats shows
in your actions ,thanks [Rhuarc].

Posted By: Locoweed

Re: Massive code giveaway - 11/08/03 12:43

Sorry to hear you will be leaving, you have been a great asset to the cummunity. I wish you the best in your endeavors. I hope to get to use your game engine someday.

I think it is great you will be sharing your code with the cummunity.

Goodluck, You will be missed,
Loco
Posted By: VPrime

Re: Massive code giveaway - 11/08/03 14:17

I Wouldnt mind Some spiffy Enemy AI.. like metal gear solid 1&2.... thought this is a lot to ask for.. so ig uess this is kinda sarcastic.. unless you got osmehtin liekthis adn willing to gie away
And good luck on your future in game developmet, i hope you dont leave the community

Posted By: Drittz_Dourden

Re: Massive code giveaway - 11/08/03 15:00

i would like to see some of these types of codes..

enemy ai;
a good close combat code for enemys and players.
camera codes
any kind of new templetes.

i'm not to picky

hate to see you go... its a shame i never gotta to meet ya.. i read all your post though
Posted By: Commander_Josh

Re: Massive code giveaway - 11/08/03 17:10

It's a loss for all of us newbies to see some one with much expertise moving on, but one has to do whar he needs to do......

I'd love to see some good enemy (and perhaps somewhat intelligent) AI codes released if possible, since that is the hard part for me and I don't have any experience in that.
Posted By: Orange Brat

Re: Massive code giveaway - 11/08/03 17:36

Sorry to hear you'll be leaving. Good luck and don't be a stranger.

I'm the camera guy, so anything cool in that department is always what I'm interested in.

Re: Massive code giveaway - 11/09/03 03:09

Thanks guys, I'll miss the good times around this forum- as for all the requests for AI, you can be pretty safe assuming there will be a lot of it in my code I release. I am going to try to complete a full playable opensource arena game for conitec to distribute with 3dgs. The arena game will be entirely from scratch too, so you'll find all sorts of good code in there, I may not have time to complete multiplayer, but I'm sure someone will expand on that in time to come.

-Rhuarc
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Massive code giveaway - 11/09/03 03:41

Wow, you're constructing your own engine. Very ambitious. I wouldn't mind being informed of details and progress on that process. (In fact, I wouldn't mind actually participating in something like that, but my mathematics background is too weak, and my vc++/c++ skills need refinement.)
Concerning source requests, I'd be very pleased and impressed with any details on how to make .wdl appear more object-oriented, via the sdk or something else.
Posted By: keinPlan86m

Re: Massive code giveaway - 11/09/03 07:30

Hi
I wanna know if ther will be a Code for a Multiplayer-game. With thinks like panels and movement (more i dont need) ;-)
Would be realy nice from you.

Good Luck with your own Engine!
Posted By: Zerodin

Re: Massive code giveaway - 11/09/03 08:21

So will that one Ai/Templates thing you started making a few months back get finished?
Posted By: _Brimstone_

Re: Massive code giveaway - 11/09/03 20:15

One of my ambitions is to make a Battlezone (the 90's remake, not the original) clone. However, trying to figure out A.I. pathfinding that does not use nodes always seems to fox me. Any snippets going along these lines? (I only ask because every a.i project going on seems to be for FPS and uses nodes, and not adaptable enough for my needs).

Re: Massive code giveaway - 11/10/03 03:43

Hehe, i love it when I get lots of requests .

I've actually started on a community project for creating a fully playable arena game (multiplayer might be supported if I have time) With the progress I made on it in JUST ONE DAY I'm back into 3dgs a bit and have decided to keep around for a while (not quite as active). Besides, I'd miss all you guys too much if I left . I'll still do all the code giveaway though. The templates are being reworked again (4th revision) and will be the base for the community project (titled "Day One" btw). One thing I need for this project if people can help is people who own A6 that can download files I send them, publish, then send back to me so I can see them in action as I can't test A6 features yet. The main things that will need testing is bones and things like that. I just got shots back from yesterdays work and will be uploading them and posting on planetacknex.com and the Showcase I. They are very impressive, showing off the bones work for the most part. Also, I have guns that lock to the player/npcs hand realistically finally, and it's working well so far.

-Rhuarc
Posted By: in_christ

Re: Massive code giveaway - 12/04/03 11:41

code code need code.
Posted By: Nems

Re: Massive code giveaway - 12/04/03 13:04

lots of good loverly code....
Posted By: agreenknight

Re: Massive code giveaway - 12/04/03 13:07

It would be cool if 3dgs came with a free game.
Posted By: bupaje

Re: Massive code giveaway - 12/05/03 02:36

Rhuarc while I'm happy for you we'll be very sorry to see you go as you've been a great asset to the community -glad to see you've decided to stay around a bit.

On my wish list of hot functionality my recent interest has been weather effects. Anything related (OrangeBrat posted some wind code that I found very good) I was thinking it would be worth having a community project to create or modify existing scripts to make them 'wind enabled' meaning that the fog, fire, smoke, rain, clouds, waves, trees etc movement could be coded so that you could activate/deactivate wind on these items so that all the items in the level would blow in the same general direction creating a more realistic game feel. It's a big one but figured if you have weather code/effects among your items I'd toss it out there.

Posted By: Doug

Re: Massive code giveaway - 12/05/03 03:03

Quote:

It would be cool if 3dgs came with a free game.

There are a couple here.

Or did you have something else in mind?
Posted By: Darkstorm

Re: Massive code giveaway - 12/05/03 04:01

Wow! Where did those come from?

Re: Massive code giveaway - 12/06/03 14:45

Yeah Doug, I ment like a commercial quality game, on the 3dgs cd.
Posted By: prophet

Re: Massive code giveaway - 12/07/03 00:16

Just make your own and have Conitec distribute it with the program. That would be ultimate advertisement.
Posted By: prophet

Re: Massive code giveaway - 12/07/03 03:30

AI for football characters, or any contact sport.

Re: Massive code giveaway - 12/07/03 06:00

I am working on my own game, but we'll see.

Re: Massive code giveaway - 12/09/03 05:51

Quote:

Yeah Doug, I ment like a commercial quality game, on the 3dgs cd.

I would like to work on a 'complete' game (if nothing else to show that that last 5% of a game takes up more then 95% of the work), but I doubt I will get the time to do something like that in the short term.

If you want a full commercial game to play, there are plenty available in stores. If you want a tutorial on how to make a complete commercial quality game, as far as I know nobody has attempted this yet with any product (it would be great if we could be the first ).
Posted By: MadMark

Re: Massive code giveaway - 12/09/03 10:28

Doug,

I beg you, I dare you, I encourage you, to try. Whatever it takes.

I've been toying with the Demo version on and off for over a year now, reading everything I can here, hoping to learn enough to justify a purchase. (Money is REAL tight for under employed IT folk these days.) I am reduced to model making until I format again.

If I had a real working example to pick apart and perhaps take some of the guess work out of coding, I'd be that much closer to laying down my few spare Canadian peso's.

Cheers!
Mark

Re: Massive code giveaway - 12/10/03 04:35

Quote:

I beg you, I dare you, I encourage you, to try. Whatever it takes.

Since my pay comes from JCL, it takes getting him to think it is a good use of my time (otherwise I risk becoming an " under employed" programmer). Right now I have a lot of other things to do sadly...

Posted By: Neutie

Re: Massive code giveaway - 12/10/03 08:01

Hey Rhuarc, good luck with your engine! Still I'm glad you decided to stay around a bit

Anyway I'd like to see some camera code (maybe some explanation that goes along with it). Just general camera code... not with views, but like having the 'free cam' and colission detection and stuff. Thanks!

BTW: HAVE YOU FORGOTTEN ABOUT MSN? lol come online sometime again man!

Re: Massive code giveaway - 12/10/03 11:36

About the commercial game development sidetopic...
Nadester and I are actually developing the new A6 Techdemo, and from our pans for it, we are finding that we have decided to go all out and make a commercial game out of it as well. We will distribute the first part of it as a section of the techdemo, then I am thinking of letting Conitec distribute a full version of the game with 3DGS Com and Pro, and a 50% discount on it for Std/Ex users.

Hey Doug, if you've got the time you're always welcome to lend a hand

-Rhuarc
Posted By: Shadowcat

Re: Massive code giveaway - 12/30/03 05:40

Do you have any good close combat, close combat enemy AI, camera, inventory, or any sort of template script type stuff?

Re: Massive code giveaway - 12/30/03 06:08

Shadowcat- I'v got most everything you've mentioned. It will all be released soon.

-Rhuarc

Re: Massive code giveaway - 12/30/03 23:07

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!
Posted By: NITRO777

Re: Massive code giveaway - 01/12/04 10:37

I know you were doing ai pathfinding research, did you have any pathfinding which implemented all directions(for spaceships) and also reads from a file? I could really use good, fast 3 direction pathfinding.
Posted By: William

Re: Massive code giveaway - 01/12/04 11:37

When is this going to be released?
Posted By: Lupin_The_4

Re: Massive code giveaway - 01/16/04 23:41

Goodbye [Rhuarc], you've been a great help in the forums. I never really got to know you, but all your posts have helped me, and I'm sure helped loads of other people. It's truly sad to see you go... Best of luck in the future!

-Lupin

Re: Massive code giveaway - 01/17/04 01:10

Well, I am actually still sticking around (as I have said in other topics) but won't be fully dedicated to 3DGS anymore. I am working with Torque a little bit, but also have begun layout out my new engine.

Resources should be coming soon, I've still got to organize them a bit.

-Rhuarc
Posted By: MOTLEY_CRUE

Re: Massive code giveaway - 02/14/04 14:32

The AI;s in mgs2 were pretty good that cardboard box trick only worked once for me:P.....The fun thing of the game is hiding undertables/;P

Re: Massive code giveaway - 02/15/04 05:54

You should make the engine in assembly, and it will be a speed demon my friend.
Posted By: Wade_Adams

Re: Massive code giveaway - 02/16/04 13:04

as someone who know assembly, I would pull my hair out if I actually had to write an entire engine in assembly, And it would take to long. I would guess C++ and direct X SDK. Most people will code in C++ and use assemblly language inline where it is realy needed and just try to optimize the compile. It's all machine laguage in the end so the bottom line is you what works best.

Re: Massive code giveaway - 02/18/04 08:11

Haha, ditto.
Asm coding is the biggest headache I've ever had. I almost went bald from the long hours of yanking hair otta my head to code a raycasting engine on a 68k motorola processor , and I didn't even get paid much for it, lol. In asm you basically can do 3 things: move, copy, and write data. The rest is subroutine calls and such which is really just directions for the compiler to follow.

Hehe,
-Rhuarc
Posted By: slacer

Re: Massive code giveaway - 02/18/04 20:51

yes, but 68000er asm was like icecream compared with this intel stuff on x86.
I started with 6502 assembler on C64 and switched later to Amiga and fell in love
with the new possibilities.

Later I thought I would never touch assembler again...
Until now - there is a great course at gameversity covering Advanced Rendering (shader programming)

-- slacer

Posted By: Michael_Schwarz

Re: Massive code giveaway - 02/21/04 03:21

hehe, i downloaded the whole zip file from Acknex Unlimited and what i see? One of my codes is IN!!!! Have a look:
Code:

infared script by unknown
INFRAROT/INFRA-RED
Also, zunächst brauchen wir ein Bild, gehen wir von der grösse 640x480 aus. Dieses Bild Färbst du jetzt Grün(oder eine andere beliebige farbe). Dann machst du eine neue WDL-Datei. Nennen wir sie "screen.wdl". In diese fügst du nun folgenden Code ein:
BMAP Nachtsicht_bmap, <Irot.pcx>; // Der name das 640x480 grossen bildes
PANEL Nachtsicht_panel {
BMAP Nachtsicht_bmap;
FLAGS OVERLAY, TRANSPARENT, REFRESH; // Nicht ändern!!!
LAYER 16;
}
FUNCTION Nachtsicht() {
IF (Nachtsicht_panel.VISIBLE == ON) {
Nachtsicht_panel.VISIBLE = OFF; // definition wenn infrorot aus ist
CAMERA.AMBIENT = 0; // Alles normal, also dunkel
} ELSE {
Nachtsicht_panel.VISIBLE = ON; // definition wenn infrorot an ist
CAMERA.AMBIENT = 100; // Alles Hell
Nachtsicht_panel.POS_X = (SCREEN_SIZE.X / 2) - BMAP_WIDTH(Nachtsicht_bmap) / 2;
Nachtsicht_panel.POS_Y = (SCREEN_SIZE.Y / 2) - BMAP_HEIGHT(Nachtsicht_bmap) / 2;
}
}
ON_N = Nachtsicht; // N aktiviert Infrarot und deaktiviert Infrarot
}

im so exited! I never thougt that one of my codes will be usefull thougth!

cya
Blue

Re: Massive code giveaway - 02/21/04 04:25

This topic isn't related to that code resource

Getting there with the code- most of it is just bringing it all together again.

-Rhuarc
Posted By: Daedelus

Re: Massive code giveaway - 02/21/04 11:53

Thanks Rhuarc,

I can't wait until you release your code.
Your contributions have always been nothing short of awesome!

Re: Massive code giveaway - 04/06/04 08:36

Anything happening here? When is it coming out?
Posted By: Arakron222

Re: Massive code giveaway - 07/16/05 14:22

I know this is a long-dead topic... if anyone got the code package, though, I'd love to have a copy - if you could PM or email it, or post a link here, that'd be awesome.
Posted By: FeiHongJr

Re: Massive code giveaway - 07/16/05 16:53

Hmmm, dont remember this post.... Your leaving us Rhuarc or have you changed your mind... * Thinks its past the end of the year since this post* Either way I wish you the best of luck and hope youll still visit the fourms at least every so often
Posted By: light_mystic

Re: Massive code giveaway - 07/16/05 18:08

LOL .... I never knew I would see this post again. I first saw this when I signed on for the first time a while ago.
Posted By: FoxZero

Re: Massive code giveaway - 07/16/05 20:58

Sorry, I'm too new to knew your work well. Good luck with your engine!
I like Brimstone's idea. I love the BattleZone remake. Anything related to vehicles would be nice. Like getting in and out of one. Also close first person combat would be nice.

I wanted to save my 50th post for something specail.

Re: Massive code giveaway - 07/16/05 21:03

Wait a second. I'm an idiot! I never look at the dates!!
Everyone just disreguard what I said because I take it back.
[Rhuarc] has forsaken this post.
Posted By: sriram

Re: Massive code giveaway - 07/27/05 16:13

HAPPY BIRTHDAY [RHUARC] !!!

Best of Luck for yuor future And thanks for sharing your code with us
Posted By: YeaWhatever

Re: Massive code giveaway - 07/27/05 17:01

Hi Rhuarc,

First off, happy birthday.

Second, I am sorry to hear that you are leaving. I've learned a lot from reading your replies to people's problems. Best of luck with your future projects.

There's two things that I wouldn't mind seeing in your code giveaway:
1. Good 3rd person camera code.
2. Sophisticated pathfinding code.

Again, best of luck in the future.
Posted By: not_me

Re: Massive code giveaway - 06/10/06 11:19

ive never really posted in this thread but i just ran upon this and thot hey...code give away and some one mentioned a hand to hand combat code so i came in. i look at the date on this and i realize that you started this in what '03 and its mid year '06. i dont mean to be rude or any thing but im wonderin when this is gonna come out. if it has i need to kno where...i come to this thread often to read it but never post...by the way ill miss you...ur a great help to us all...just wondering when its coming out
Posted By: Bot190

Re: Massive code giveaway - 06/10/06 13:20

i would like a demo level for flashlight code that looks relistic. if your still takeing requests.

Re: Massive code giveaway - 06/29/06 03:27

Let me clear something up people, and I apologize for digging this thread up again, but seriously people the code givaway has been dead for years! I've posted a request almost a year ago when I first came to the forums.

In other words, the code givaway is DEAD. Nonexistant, fictional, lost, never going to happen, gone, anyway you put it it's not here and never will be.

Hope that cleared things up, but if for some odd reason this has become a secret project and the code requests are being completed with the upmost discrepency and that one day they will release lots and lots of code for everyone, on that day you have permission to shoot me. Till then keep dreaming and here's my request; an invincability code for real life (I don't want to die when I get shot). LOL
Posted By: Diceman

Re: Massive code giveaway - 06/30/06 05:04

i would like a code that allows my player to take control of a tank or sumthin.
<switchin entities>

<fps game please>
Posted By: Helghast

Re: Massive code giveaway - 06/30/06 11:54

Quote:

i would like a code that allows my player to take control of a tank or sumthin.
<switchin entities>

<fps game please>

dude, cant you read the post above....
THIS THREAD IS DEAD!

could some mod plz lock it??
Posted By: Nadester

Re: Massive code giveaway - 06/30/06 21:21

Yes. And for the record, 3 years later, Rhuarc still is using 3DGS a little
© 2024 lite-C Forums