Quake 2 models.

Posted By: Erick_Castro

Quake 2 models. - 03/22/10 00:42

Visit my Garage Quake 2 project link and download some good Quake 2 models.

Posted By: roflmaster

Re: Quake 2 models. - 03/22/10 02:59

not bad....i like the movement and aiming..very smooth
Posted By: Redeemer

Re: Quake 2 models. - 03/23/10 15:31

He didn't make them. He took them from the commercial game Quake II.
Posted By: Ganderoleg

Re: Quake 2 models. - 03/23/10 15:46

Is the usage of Quake II models in commercial projects now legal? confused
...characters are not really up to today's standards but maybe flags and crates could be useful.
Posted By: lostclimate

Re: Quake 2 models. - 03/24/10 01:12

yeah, quake 2 and i think 3? are opensource including art and engine.

Re: Quake 2 models. - 03/24/10 20:44

Are you kidding me with that questions?
Quake 2 has many years ago to be converted in an open source aplication

when i said that you can use those models for commercial purposes?

Your questions are from a five years old boys... puffffff

download the models, if you want, and use it in your garage projects.

Re: Quake 2 models. - 03/24/10 22:42

O.k. I think you should really watch what your saying. You are being extremely rude.

I know that id Tech 2 is free to be used in commercial projects under the GPL or Non-GPL for $10.000 per title(http://www.idsoftware.com/business/idtech2), but I didn't know anything about Quake 2 artwork & models being open source.

Anyway if you post something for download you should expect questions about possible usage.

...and I have no idea what garage-project means. If models you posted are open source where is the txt file that contains license?
Posted By: DLively

Re: Quake 2 models. - 03/25/10 12:45

Quote:

Your questions are from a five years old boys... puffffff

Very Rude.

I am to be 21 years old.
I also had no idea, as im sure many people didnt, and still dont.
If you are going to post here, like Ganderoleg said, you have to expect people to question whethere or not we can use the models you are providing, since its our ass that will be sued for copyright infringement..

Saying things like that, sorta make you sound like your 5 years old. smirk

Re: Quake 2 models. - 03/25/10 14:11

Ok, enough personal attacks.

There's some important things to be said here: John Carmack, technical director of "id Software" did indeed release the Quake II source code as open source. HOWEVER, all of the sounds, models, artwork, levels, etc. that make up the game are not free, and are still under copyright. To pass them around like this is to infringe on id's copyright.

As further evidence that Quake II (as a game) is indeed still commercial software, you can visit the official online id Software store, where you will clearly see that they still sell the full version game for a small price.

EDIT: I'm not intending that this post shoots down your game, Erick_Castro. There are ways that you can continue making your game and even pass it around without running into legal troubles.

For example, when you distribute the game, you can program it to read only the official Quake II PAK data files. That way, for people to play your game, all they have to do is copy their own Quake II data files into the game's directory and the game will automatically read it. If Gamestudio can't do this with scripts, you can always write a plugin that reads Quake II PAK files for you.

Another, simpler idea is to provide an installation utility that looks for the user's own Quake II directory (if they have one) grabs the Quake II data files, unpaks them, and places them into your game's folder for use in the game.

Re: Quake 2 models. - 03/25/10 18:19

Ok, boys, if you think that Id Software will make you go to jail, dont download the 4 or 5 little models that i posted, that is a simple solution.

And i repeat: I never said that the models you could use for commercial purposes.

P.D. Thanks, Redeemer, for your words.
Posted By: achaziel

Re: Quake 2 models. - 03/25/10 18:33

he didn't get that offering copyrighted material for download already is copyright infringement, now did he?
Posted By: PigHunter

Re: Quake 2 models. - 03/25/10 19:07

I agree with Erick_Castro. You guys are being childish. If it is copyrighted material, you tell the person once and that's it. You don't have to download it and use it if you don't want to. Or, if you're really that upset about it, go tell the copyright owner or the company that represents the copyright owner. And then be done with it. Peace.

Re: Quake 2 models. - 03/25/10 19:33

Many of you are influenced for the Culture of Fear
laugh
Posted By: achaziel

Re: Quake 2 models. - 03/25/10 19:38

i'm not upset about it, i'm not going to download em and frankly put, i really don't care. just saying that uploading copyrighted stuff already is against the law. ain't me to get into a lawsuit.

Re: Quake 2 models. - 03/25/10 19:42

yes, yes , yes, boys, mama is going to punish you.

laugh

Re: Quake 2 models. - 03/25/10 20:15

Do not worry - Im not going to download the models..

There was no "personal attack" All I was trying to say is that I was insulted by his remark - and wanted to put it out there;

The way I see it, is If I don't say how I feel - who will?
My opinion does matter - as does everyone elses.
Posting his contribution here gives me / us that right to do so.

Re: Quake 2 models. - 03/25/10 21:32

I really don't understand you.

You post models without any explanation about possible usage, then you get mad and insult me when I ask you about possible usage, after that you say that they are open source, then when I ask you about the open source license agreements for them(they all vary from case to case) you get mad and insult me again.

If you post something for download on forum you should always make clear if files are your own work or, if they are not, who's work they are and how they can be used. And that's all. Nothing more.

And this issue is not about few models from Quake II, it's about normal communication skills and respecting the legality of forum content. We could all easily put illegally riped models from number of games for download or just exchange P2P links or torrents but I think this would not be o.k. There are places for that but I think this forum should not be one of them.
Posted By: PigHunter

Re: Quake 2 models. - 03/26/10 01:57

I like Erick_Castro. He makes me laugh. What more can you ask of a person? Nothing. He might be fun to hang out with.

Re: Quake 2 models. - 03/26/10 12:35

I don't think you should encourage him PigHunter..

Hes been rude and unkind as it is.
Posted By: Joquan

Re: Quake 2 models. - 03/26/10 16:19

Oh, deal with it. Don't be sissies. I have to deal with this kind of crap almost every day. Quake 2 models are obviously not copyrighted anymore.

Re: Quake 2 models. - 03/26/10 21:04

No, Joquan, the Quake II game files are not freeware. id Software has a reputation for releasing the source code to all of their old games, but source code does NOT mean art/sounds/levels/etc. Source code is all the programming for the game. This way other programmers can look at the code, see how it works, and use it to make their own games with their own art/sounds/levels. But they are NOT allowed to redistribute the actual Quake II game data.

More reading:
"While the Q2 source is free (and many different Q2 engines are thus available for free), the game is still sold by id and the game media is NOT free. This means that you'll need a Q2 CD to get the media files (pak0.pak, which contains the maps, models, textures, sounds, ...) for the game."
http://maps.sp1r1t.org/tutorials/q2_mapping_today/

"The engine is not the whole game. You can't install the program and expect to frag your little brother in the next room. The graphics, models, maps and such are not free. If you distribute those things (from the retail Quake 3 CD), you, in fact, will be a pirate. That part is not free."
http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/9867

Now, tell me: why isn't there any free download link for Quake II on id's official website? How is it that you can only find downloads for the full version of Quake II on sites that label themselves as "warez" "game crackers" "abandonwarez" and "pirates"? For the last time: Quake II is not free, nor are it's models, sounds, textures, sprites, music, or any of that. The ONLY free portion of Quake II is the source code. That's it. Nothing else.

Now, can we please keep this site free of warez and illegal content, and end this discussion right here? We've argued over this for far too long.
Posted By: Nidhogg

Re: Quake 2 models. - 03/26/10 23:09

Originally Posted By: Redeemer
Now, can we please keep this site free of warez and illegal content, and end this discussion right here? We've argued over this for far too long.

I'm with Redeemer. Let's put this to rest please.

Re: Quake 2 models. - 03/27/10 20:09

Ok, children , dont download the models of my "criminal" site. Thats for you is a "terrorist" act.
Posted By: Captain_Kiyaku

Re: Quake 2 models. - 03/27/10 20:42

@Erick_Castro,
see yourself as warned for insulting users.

Link removed, Thread closed.
© 2024 lite-C Forums