Surreal Material Effects/Shader Editor vers 1.1 !

Posted By: Nadester

Surreal Material Effects/Shader Editor vers 1.1 ! - 07/08/04 10:04

Hello, the "Surreal Material Effects Editor" (SMEE for short) is a tool that I have been working on latelly - a simple (but hopefully effective) solution for editing and creating shaders and other material effects. It offers:

-Click together Material Editing functionality, allows you to design your own simple effects or edit other effects without writing a single line of code.
-Useful predefined material properties including shaded, metal, glass, and “Blood Marble”.
-Dynamically reload, edit, and update .FX Shader files without even exiting the program.
-A source code editor for .FX files (Surreal Shader Editor) that is fully functional with the main application.
-A built in collection of Material Effects and Shaders including Improved Overlay, Waving Grass, Wire Frame, Per Pixel Lighting (Normal Mapping), Bump Mapping, Terrain Multi-texturing, and more.
-Export generated effects to 3DGS C-Script
-Reload a variety of different entities including 3DGS Model files (MD5 and MD7 format), Terrain (HMP format), and Sprites (Bitmap, Targa, and PCX are all supported).
-Previewing tools include multiple camera modes, preview generated source code, and editor speed controls.

I hope that someone out there will find this tool handy. Even if your above what it has to offer, you still may find it usefull for quickly developing advanced effects with the features it has to offer. It is in no way complete - but hopefully it takes a step in the right direction toward 3DGS some day getting a true Shader/Material Effects Editor.

The editor can be downloaded at:
http://s94942944.onlinehome.us/sites/surreal/SMEE/SurrealEditor11.exe

Download it, have fun with it, and tell me what you think! Feel free to post your thoughts/comments too. Click here to visit the editors home page (forum based) - Where you can make requests for future features, post bugs, ask more in depth questions, get updates, and so on (Please register to support this program, it is much appreciated ).

Cheers!
Posted By: Steempipe

Re: SMEE - Surreal Material Effects/Shader Editor ! - 07/08/04 10:30

I really like the idea here... and the interface is well done. I encourage you to keep refining this thing.
I will try to fiddle with it this week...

Re: SMEE - Surreal Material Effects/Shader Editor ! - 07/08/04 11:05

Thanks Steempipe!

It appears that there is a bug with the paths.. I use a dll to set some of them. Depending on your computer, the "Edit Shader" button may or may not load the shader in SSE. IF that is the case, just run SSE.exe and open userdef.fx (both in the main directory) until the next update.

Also, if anyone has any .FX files they'd like to add to the library, please post them! (or pm if you would like).
Posted By: Blattsalat

Re: SMEE - Surreal Material Effects/Shader Editor ! - 07/08/04 11:41

I think this is a very intersting tool...this might get very handy!!!! excellent work

just one suggesion: make the window scaleable....and add a zoom in out function for the preview window....just a user friendly issue though

a bug: dont know if its only on my machine.... when opening a new entity to test and cancel the load other entity window, no model is displayed at all...the globe dissappears and saving ends in an error then.

Re: SMEE - Surreal Material Effects/Shader Editor ! - 07/08/04 11:55

Blattsalat - Thanks for pointing that out. It seems that the editor loads the file, regardless of whether or not it was cancelled - thus, it is loading an empty string. Thats no biggie to work out - consider it fixed for the next update. (Thanks for the suggestions too!)
Posted By: Drew

Re: SMEE - Surreal Material Effects/Shader Editor ! - 07/08/04 12:19

SWEEEET! Im impressed. EXCELLENT TOOL!!
I have really been hoping for a visual editor for shaders in A6. If theres anyway I can help let me know...
Few requests/questions:
- full or windowed mode switch (or is it already there?)
- object rotation control with the mouse...click and rotate at the origin
- to please keep working on it
Posted By: Locoweed

Re: SMEE - Surreal Material Effects/Shader Editor ! - 07/08/04 14:06

Looks sweet!
Posted By: Orange Brat

Re: SMEE - Surreal Material Effects/Shader Editor ! - 07/08/04 14:18

A much needed tool. Don't stop work.
Posted By: William

Re: SMEE - Surreal Material Effects/Shader Editor ! - 07/08/04 14:25

This is great - Thanks!

Re: SMEE - Surreal Material Effects/Shader Editor ! - 07/08/04 15:32

I've tried to import my shaders, but didnt really see the effect...also the export didnt write the shader...
But Im sure you know this....its early.

its just so cool I want to use it
Posted By: nuclear_winter

Re: SMEE - Surreal Material Effects/Shader Editor ! - 07/08/04 21:33

This is an exellent tool, usefull and needed. Keep working on it man, please!!!!!
Very cool!!!
Posted By: Alkai

Re: SMEE - Surreal Material Effects/Shader Editor ! - 07/08/04 22:03

An outstanding contribution! Keep it up!

Re: SMEE - Surreal Material Effects/Shader Editor ! - 07/08/04 22:19

I just tried it and it works perfectly (crashes on exit, but i think is the PC)
Keep it up!!!
Posted By: sonic2nd

Re: SMEE - Surreal Material Effects/Shader Editor ! - 07/08/04 23:33

Is the link broken? I guess I checked too late.

Surreal Material Effects Editor - Update 1.1 ! - 07/08/04 23:37

Hey everyone, thanks for the great feedback!
I'm really reallly ashamed to have released that version, considers all the bugs in it So I fixed all the known ones, added a few more features, and made an update. You are strongly advised to update if you have downloaded the old version.

Here are the bug fixes and new features:

Bugs Fixes:

-Load entity cancel bug
-transparency bug
-save wdl cancel bug
-edit shader
-change effect
-exit crash

New Features:

-Window Resizing
-Camera Zoom (PgUp/PgDn or Mouse Scroll Wheel)
-Huge code organization improvements

Dowload version 1.1 at:

Drew, I spent about an hour last night trying to implement changable resolutions. The biggest problem is that the engine crashes when trying to load the open/save dialog dll in fullscreen mode. I also tried just changing the window size, but that lead to a nasty bug with the mouse. So for now, I just settled with a resizable window. Click and rotate will be in the next update Btw - Check your pm's.

Here's a little shot with some perpixel lighting, (single ent zoomed in mode):

And again, please support this project and stop by/signup at its forum based website, at:
http://s94942944.onlinehome.us/sites/surreal/phpBB2/portal.php

Please leave feedback, bug reports, requests, and so on. Thank you!
Posted By: Juppp

Re: Surreal Material Effects Editor - Update 1.1 ! - 07/08/04 23:41

very impressive Nadester
Posted By: old_bill

Re: Surreal Material Effects Editor - Update 1.1 ! - 07/09/04 00:31

Very impressive tool, thanks!!!

old_bill
Posted By: Salva

Re: Surreal Material Effects/Shader Editor vers 1.1 ! - 07/09/04 01:52

Hi Nadester!

could I also have the full version of surrealeditor?
I have tried to download from this address:
http://s94942944.onlinehome.us/sites/surreal/SMEE/SurrealEditor.exe

but the browser don't find the site.

greetings

salva

Re: Surreal Material Effects/Shader Editor vers 1.1 ! - 07/09/04 02:29

Thanks everyone!
Salva, download it at this address (the new version):

Here is a better example of the normal mapping (per pixel lighting):

Re: Surreal Material Effects/Shader Editor vers 1.1 ! - 07/09/04 03:00

Thank you Nadester!

But I have this release already, and I thought that it was an update, but it don't work!
when I start the program, appears a window that tells: ERROR 1004
[not enoug memory 0 MB required]. I don't know what do but 3dgs works perfectly.

Greet

Salva

Re: Surreal Material Effects/Shader Editor vers 1.1 ! - 07/09/04 03:02

Wow. I actually have a reason to get back into game development now. Here is my motivation. No need to try it yet. I can tell it is professional by the superb interface. Bump mapping. It won't be until monday when I take another crack at game development. But can someone please give me the run down on whats happening with this product?

Superb bump mapping? Bump mapping like 3d studio max's own? As far as I'm concerned, in 3dsmax you can bump map on the click of a button which makes it seem like a simple task. How is bump mapping in this product? Good? Can someone set the hype for me? I am sure the other features are great, but bump mapping is specifically what I care about.
================
Nadester, I recommend that you create a superb website in which demonstraits the quality of this. A website, that gives a "good description" on all their features. Not specifically for my pleasing, however that would be a decent start.

Re: Surreal Material Effects/Shader Editor vers 1.1 ! - 07/09/04 03:04

Version 1.1 was the update. What video card are you running on, and do you have any shader support? (Although you shouldnt need it) Do you have another computer available to test it on? Sounds like you have too many programs opened at once to me..

@sonic2nd, a website will be in the works, with tuts and examples If you want to see any of the bump mapping effects, check out some of the shots I posted.

Re: Surreal Material Effects/Shader Editor vers 1.1 ! - 07/09/04 03:04

Nadester you are insane!!!! This is incredible (excuse my overexcitement, but as a coding noob, i'm very greatefull for this)!!!
Is there gonna be a version in the future in which we can work with env mapping, bump mapping (sorry, i see the normals mapping), cell shading...etc?

Re: Surreal Material Effects/Shader Editor vers 1.1 ! - 07/09/04 05:10

EXCELLENT. working well...look at that per pixel shader!!
I will get you some good normal mapped models soon as examples.

Including the perpixel shader is a great contribution in itself! ok folks...

WE NOW HAVE PER PIXEL BUMP/NORMAL MAPPING IN A6!!!

check the shader forum for detailks on what that is if you are unsure...basically Doom3, riddick... that quality at a low level. I was hoping there would be free code for this for the public! There have been some examples but nothing as easy and pure as this one, great for anyone to implement...

It looks fantastic in your editor.
great job

Re: Surreal Material Effects/Shader Editor vers 1.1 ! - 07/09/04 06:03

Thanks everyone!

@Drew, I got your pm, and I'm glad to take any good models with normal maps I can get. Are you interested in doing a simple shader techdemo to accompany the editor? I would do it, but I'm afraid I don't have the required computer power (yet hehe - only vertex shader support O.O ) or time - at least at the moment. It could maybe even accompany the library, and encompass all of the included effects to act as a sort of "preview". Please get back to me if you have any interest!

Also everyone, I'm always on the lookout for .fx files for the library! If you have any you'd like to share with the community, please send them my way

Here is a little effect I whipped up - a combination of the Dot3 Bumpmapping .fx file, a normal map as skin 2, and the metal predefine:

Also, next update will feature a built in targa heightmap to DOT3 Normal Map converter compliments of ATI
Posted By: Aaron_H

Re: Surreal Material Effects/Shader Editor vers 1 - 07/09/04 07:06

Thanks for this Nadester,
It seems pretty similar to easy particles by TripleX. Keep up the good work it's looking pretty impressive and I can see this being a very valuable tool to may 3dgs developers.

Again, thanks.
Posted By: ViolentVibrator

Re: Surreal Material Effects/Shader Editor vers 1 - 07/09/04 08:12

this is really cool, good job
Posted By: William

Re: Surreal Material Effects/Shader Editor vers 1 - 07/09/04 08:51

Wow, the new version is even better! Would you be able to implement the addition of dynamic lights in the future? As well the ability to move them around in the preview, and change there colors and range via an editor. Thanks, I highly encourage anyone with .fx files to send them over to Nadester!

Re: Surreal Material Effects/Shader Editor vers 1 - 07/09/04 09:12

Hey, thank you everyone!

To answer your question Wil, the next major update will feature a "paintset" of tools. All will function from the main SMEE editor, but offer different features. The tools will include:

-SSE - "Surreal Shader Editor", a .fx file source editor
-A Skin Editor which allows users to preview skins and convert to grayscale bump maps, normal maps, or alpha maps.
-A lighting editor which allows you do rearrange the dynamic lights used in the editor, including their size and brightness

@Nuclear_Winter, they are fully functional now, as long as you have the .fx files. In future versions I will include effects for cel shading, enviromental mapping, and so on

Cheers!
Posted By: bupaje

Re: Surreal Material Effects/Shader Editor vers 1 - 07/09/04 11:31

Hi Nadester,

Great job with the tool and easy to use and understand gui. My system doesn't support shaders but some of the material effects work and it is useful to see it interactively.

I have heard discussion back and forth about bump mapping and some talk that there was a way to do this without shaders? If that is the case and you think it can be added to your editor I'd personally find that useful.

Burt

Re: Surreal Material Effects/Shader Editor vers 1 - 07/09/04 14:21

Quote:

In future versions I will include effects for cel shading, enviromental mapping, and so on

Cheers!

YESSS! Thank you!!

Re: Surreal Material Effects/Shader Editor vers 1 - 07/09/04 14:28

where are the .fx shaders coming from? Are they A6 shaders renamed to .fx ,can they be converted or exported from examples?
Is there a way you can accept .wdl shaders? of so I have a bunch to add...ive tried a few with no luck...
old questions, new tool
Posted By: fernlicht

Re: Surreal Material Effects/Shader Editor vers 1 - 07/09/04 15:25

Oh men - thats really superb! to create a shadereditor out of the community.
we all want that ! thanks a lot nadester. keep up your work!!!
Posted By: qwerty823

Re: Surreal Material Effects/Shader Editor vers 1 - 07/09/04 23:31

Drew, an .fx file is basically what would be inside the effect=""; line of a wdl material definition. You can leave effect=""; out of the material definition, save it to an .fx file, and load it at runtime using effect_load(material,fx_file);

This is what SMEE does, since you cant really define materials at runtime (at least not without the betas create_material).
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Surreal Material Effects/Shader Editor vers 1 - 07/10/04 05:54

Yes, but is this just a name given, or is it actually the same as the .fx files created by tools such as NVidias Shader Editor, where you can change settings (like in SMEE), and then save a .fx file. I'd be interested to know if these file types are compatable, or just assigned the same extension, but are actually different formats.
Posted By: qwerty823

Re: Surreal Material Effects/Shader Editor vers 1 - 07/10/04 06:20

Most of those tools create directx9 shaders in fx file format. Since this engine uses Dx8.1, they wont work. Usually they have HLSL shaders in them, along with instructions for compiling them.

The .fx file format used by SMEE, SSE, and A6 is the Dx8.1 .fx file format. Here is a link, if you want to know what they contain, and feel free to look at the .fx files that come with SMEE.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/archive/default.asp?url=/archive/en-us/dx81_c/directx_cpp/GRAPHICS/Reference/Shader/EffectReference/EffectReference.asp

Re: Surreal Material Effects/Shader Editor vers 1.1 ! - 07/10/04 18:58

Hi Nadester!

Sorry if I answer a few late, but I don't have understood nothing, is the new release that you have released the full version?, or is it only one update for the full version? if is so it doesn't can ever work, then serves me the release base, and the new update that you have released?
My graphiccard is an ATI Radeon 9000, and until now the 90% of the shader that I have found, also those on WIKI works perfectly! [oceanwater], [furshader], [bumpmapping], and [wavinggrass], and also the [terrainshader], they function well, I now don't know what I do of mistaken.
Thank you

Sincere greetings

Salva
Posted By: Guardian

Re: Surreal Material Effects Editor - Update 1.1 ! - 07/11/04 06:42

Hi Nadester, very nice program. I did notice some errors with the output.

In the tests I did, none of the files created had a semicolon at the ends of code
lines. I am running a 6 year old+ system, which could just barely run the program
sort of was like a window within a window some of the code worked for me after fixing but some did not.

Most likely my fault, as I am not able to use many of these effects. Having only an old 32mg video card.

Anyway very nice. Wish I could use your file save dll in some of the programs I
have been coding.

Keep up the good work.

Guardian

Re: Surreal Material Effects Editor - Update 1.1 ! - 07/11/04 12:59

Quote:

Hi Nadester, very nice program. I did notice some errors with the output.

In the tests I did, none of the files created had a semicolon at the ends of code
lines. I am running a 6 year old+ system, which could just barely run the program
sort of was like a window within a window some of the code worked for me after fixing but some did not.

Most likely my fault, as I am not able to use many of these effects. Having only an old 32mg video card.

Anyway very nice. Wish I could use your file save dll in some of the programs I
have been coding.

Keep up the good work.

Guardian

A 6 year old system? My 3 year old system is fustraiting enough... and that is a 1.8ghz pc with geoforce 4 card. Anyway, somewhere he has a website. He posted it in this topic. Check out the site, and sign up(it is a forum based site and you must register to do anything.) There are tutorials on how to add bump mapping, dirt mapping, light mapping, as well as fur shading into the game. The program should be perfect by version 2.0, hopefully. And if there will be a version 2.0.
===============
And hopefully I can say the same about 3d Gamestudio A7... in which I am sure they'll have something like this.
Posted By: Rhuarc

Re: Surreal Material Effects Editor - Update 1.1 ! - 07/12/04 07:20

Quote:

Anyway very nice. Wish I could use your file save dll in some of the programs I have been coding.

I actually did the main code for the file-open/save dialog for him (he just added more file types to it), only he managed to get it to work with the libraries (mine were going a little crazy )

I'd be happy to share the source I have for it (it is a very simple windows API call) if you want.
Posted By: Guardian

Re: Surreal Material Effects Editor - Update 1.1 ! - 07/12/04 10:05

Hi [Rhuarc], yes I would like to use your file save API. I have been updating a particle script generator I put together a while back and I think it would help allot. By the way, I have been using your script for rain in a game I made, really nice work.

sonic2nd; yep it’s a really old system and is been sputtering a bit. Getting a new one sometime this week hopefully.

Got any advice on what kind to buy. I am leaning towards a cyberpower gamer/graphics type computer. Don't want to build one and want to get away from dell.

Re: Surreal Material Effects Editor - Update 1.1 ! - 07/12/04 18:11

In Antwort auf:

You are strongly advised to update if you have downloaded the old version.

Hi Nadester!

I need the old version? yes or not! if yes where could download it?

Greet.

SALVA

Re: Surreal Material Effects Editor - Update 1.1 ! - 07/15/04 12:24

Quote:

Hi [Rhuarc], yes I would like to use your file save API. I have been updating a particle script generator I put together a while back and I think it would help allot. By the way, I have been using your script for rain in a game I made, really nice work.

sonic2nd; yep it’s a really old system and is been sputtering a bit. Getting a new one sometime this week hopefully.

Got any advice on what kind to buy. I am leaning towards a cyberpower gamer/graphics type computer. Don't want to build one and want to get away from dell.

These days, almost any computer should be valid. Here goes. By the end of this year, or the very beginning of 2005, almost any computer should be valid. You won't have to worry about "horrible" or slow for a while. Make sure your pc is atleast 3 ghz, get the latest geoforce card and you are fine.
================
Once you do so, I will actually be able to forgive you for using an old computer for 6 years. Because your pc shouldn't reach the level of "intolerable" by then.

Re: Surreal Material Effects Editor - Update 1.1 ! - 07/19/04 09:34

Hello all, I just got back from a little vacation - I have been away. Thanks for all the great response, and those of you who signed up at my site! As for the dll, I am going to release it with instructions this week. I'm really tired at the moment, so I should catch some sleep (long week ) But tomarro I'll get the time to answer individual questions, and give some word on this next update... so long!

Re: Surreal Material Effects Editor - Update 1.1 ! - 07/24/04 19:16

Greeting Nadester!

I want to do you a question, how big is the number of the Nexus that you have put in this program? because I from me have ascertained that if the Nexus is greater than 280, appears me the error E1004!

Greet.

Salva

Re: Surreal Material Effects Editor - Update 1.1 ! - 07/27/04 01:37

Salva,
I believe that I have the nexus set at 100.

Re: Surreal Material Effects Editor - Update 1.1 ! - 07/28/04 17:52

Hi Nadester!

But i don`t know, the biggest 3DGS demo worked to me fine, and also
with low framerate, but at worked.
But doesn't matter, if I could not have the honor of use it also,
I am sorry but this tool could be of big help for me.

Greetings

Salva
Posted By: sixfeetunder

Re: Surreal Material Effects Editor - Update 1.1 ! - 07/28/04 18:06

Hi Nadester!
One of the most useful tools, I ever saw.
Really great great work.
I think this tool should be a standard part like wed or med of the engine, not only a user contribution. I hope, Conitec will pay you some bugs, man!
Not for your work, just for honor.
By the way - on my old system with a gforce 2, 512MB RAM - I get the E1004 too.
On the newer one (P1800, GF4TI) it works perfectly!
So long!

Maybe a clue?
When I start the tool with at least c:\300MB free disc space, the program will not work. When I start the tool with over 500MB free disc space, the program works.
Maybe you should control the nexus.
In the manual:
E1004 - your disc is full. Delete something or buy a new one.

I do not know - but is it so, that the engine only uses the C drive for processing?

Re: Surreal Material Effects Editor - Update 1.1 ! - 09/22/04 08:53

is this still in development?

Re: Surreal Material Effects Editor - Update 1.1 ! - 09/22/04 09:32

Of course Myself and Rhuarc are fully engaged in version 2.0. Prepare for some surprises - all I have to say

Re: Surreal Material Effects Editor - Update 1.1 ! - 09/22/04 11:50

I suppose I'll chime in and mention that it is looking VERY good so far. I'm going to be plugging away next week getting the new GUI code finished up and some extra features added to it (so nade stops annoying me ). At the present point of it, I can create nearly any single-pass FFP shader within minutes . Multiple passes just need a little bit more time on my part (and even longer array calculations, which means more cases of sparkling water and soda), I think I'll wait until I finish the new single pass editor before adding buttons for switching passes .

I wouldn't say we have any surprises... after all, if I just said that- you'd have a heart attack when you saw it . Much more than just surprises, more like bombshells . (There, I'm not liable for your health insurance bill when we post shots now )

-Rhuarc
Posted By: MaxF

Re: Surreal Material Effects Editor - Update 1.1 ! - 09/22/04 13:32

U GUYS ROCK

Re: Surreal Material Effects Editor - Update 1.1 ! - 09/23/04 17:39

Sweeeeet. looking foorward to it
Posted By: Matt_Coles

Re: Surreal Material Effects Editor - Update 1.1 ! - 09/23/04 20:13

Same Goes For Me

Re: Surreal Material Effects Editor - Update 1.1 ! - 10/07/04 05:03

Wanted to add a requested feature. I've been drooling over the water shaders but am a dummy as far as programming. I was thinking if your editor could be set up to show a terrain (for the river bed or ocean floor etc) and water over it with shader, then allow me to click and browse to try different textures for the water, environment, bump, terrain etc I can create some nice sets of water textures with matching sea/river bottom etc for the community. Right now I'd probably edit the code to change textures etc and truthfully I've mainly stayed focused on texture and level design. If I could open PSP in one window, try some textures in the water editor and see how they look, make changes in PSP and then load up the new texture set to instantly see I'm pretty sure I can contribute significantly better textures will look great with the water shader.

Re: Surreal Material Effects Editor - Update 1.1 ! - 10/07/04 06:11

We're one step ahead of you . Right now, I can load different images into each material skin of the shader (4 of them) using this nice little texture manager:

Then, by setting the preview scene to either one that we provide with it, or a scene of your own creation- you can play all you want!

-Rhuarc

Re: Surreal Material Effects Editor - Update 1.1 ! - 10/07/04 06:19

Sounds excellent. Look forward to it.

Re: Surreal Material Effects Editor - Update 1.1 ! - 10/19/04 08:25

still alive?

Re: Surreal Material Effects Editor - Update 1.1 ! - 10/19/04 09:58

Yeah, SMEE2 is moving slowly but surely. I just hope that we can make it worth the wait
Posted By: light_mystic

Re: Surreal Material Effects Editor - Update 1.1 ! - 10/19/04 10:42

Posted By: sniper5774

Re: SMEE - Surreal Material Effects/Shader Editor ! - 12/09/04 11:43

nadester nice editor comes in handy

Re: SMEE - Surreal Material Effects/Shader Editor ! - 12/10/04 09:59

Im sure most of you have seen this! .... for those that didnt here is the real meaning of smee

JK Nade no offense

Re: SMEE - Surreal Material Effects/Shader Editor - 12/10/04 10:25

LOL

Smee thinks that 'tis amusing

As an update for the occasion, SMEE2 is still in development and is working quite nicely. Sadly we aren't (obviously) able to devote all of our time to the projects so it runs along the sidelines of everything else in development- although we are making gradual headway!

Perhaps we'll release a video in the coming month or so of it in action .

-Rhuarc
Posted By: lionclaws

Re: SMEE - Surreal Material Effects/Shader Editor - 03/29/05 09:03

Nadester!,u de man.It's really a cool tool thanx for your contribution.
Posted By: Braxton

Re: SMEE - Surreal Material Effects/Shader Editor - 03/29/05 10:15

Can't wait, SMEE-II sounds cool!

Re: SMEE - Surreal Material Effects/Shader Editor - 03/29/05 10:23

Heheh.. development on it is trickling slowly, but we're still moving foreward - which is good. Rhuarc's working on the SMEEScript compiler as I type this post!

Gahh... I've already said too much

Re: SMEE - Surreal Material Effects/Shader Editor - 03/29/05 11:12

*removes a large knife from Nadesters back*
That will be an example for the next guy who blabs his mouth

Now that the beans are spilled...

Let's just say that SMEE BasicShade will make coding shaders very simple, quick, efficient, and also make them very compatible with tools for reducing render targets and more . So far things are working very nice. More info sometime in the future.... (but if it's too soon Nadester might find himself at ends with a chainsaw.... )

-Rhuarc

Re: SMEE - Surreal Material Effects/Shader Editor - 03/29/05 11:14

Awsome can you give us an example of the languege?

Re: SMEE - Surreal Material Effects/Shader Editor - 03/29/05 11:15

Not yet .

We're still working out a few parts of it (although it is functional as is)

-Rhuarc

Re: SMEE - Surreal Material Effects/Shader Editor - 03/29/05 11:17

Wait till he goes to bed Brax, and I'll upload some code

Hahah nahh.. I wouldn't do that *glares at rhuarc's chain saw*

Re: SMEE - Surreal Material Effects/Shader Editor - 03/29/05 11:17

cool can't wait! I don't mean to be nosy but how long untill you can give us an example?
Posted By: Yulor

Re: SMEE - Surreal Material Effects/Shader Editor - 03/29/05 11:33

eric, i'd just like to say, the SMEE acronyms are starting to get out of hand. :P i mean 'SMEEScript Compiler?' Jeeeeeeeeeeeeez. What a silly name. Another thing to add to my list of things to make fun of you about. :P

Re: SMEE - Surreal Material Effects/Shader Editor - 03/29/05 12:03

Actually, that's the old prototype name he's using . The language/tool is called SMEE BasicShade. For the compiler just tack a "compiler" on the end.

-Rhuarc

Re: SMEE - Surreal Material Effects/Shader Editor - 03/29/05 12:06

And considering it's a scripting language for a program called 'SMEE', such a name is only logical

Re: SMEE - Surreal Material Effects/Shader Editor - 03/29/05 12:43

Sounds awsome guys!
Posted By: Nems

Re: SMEE - Surreal Material Effects/Shader Editor - 03/29/05 17:59

Smee as in preciouse? Golum, golum..he, he, he (sorry guys..)
And on an ontopic sot of note, the first one is still great!

Re: SMEE - Surreal Material Effects/Shader Editor ! - 03/29/05 18:46

Just to remind you guys
Quote:

the real meaning of smee

Posted By: Yulor

Re: SMEE - Surreal Material Effects/Shader Editor - 03/30/05 01:57

hehe
Posted By: Marcio Esper

Re: Surreal Material Effects Editor - Update 1.1 ! - 07/24/05 08:56

Hi,

very cool your program.

Just a bug report

Here when I will export the wdl the program crash and open the traditional window of send error report to M$.

I use win XP home edition SP-2 with all atualisations from M$ win update, 1gb ram, AMD 64 video 3d with 128mb, if you need more informations or need a SS of the crash or any other information to help you found the bug, just let me know.

best regards,

Marcio
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: SMEE - Surreal Material Effects/Shader Editor ! - 07/25/05 07:52

Those who are blind and are using a screen reader like JAWS cannot read images, only Text. So for those who would like to see what it says in the image just for curiousity, here it is:

Begin
Quote:

Heading 1: Time to put a cork in it

A CORK radio station was running a competition -- words that weren't in dictionary yet could still be in the sentence that would make logical sense. The price was a trip to Bali.

DJ: "96FM here, what's your name?"

Caller: "Hi, me name's Dave."

DJ: "Dave, what's your word?"

Caller: "Goan... spelt G-O-A-N, pronounced 'go-an'."

DJ: "You are correct, Dave, 'goan' is not in the dictionary. Now, for a trip to Bali: What sentence can you use that word in that would make sense?"

Caller: "Goan [swear word] yourself!"

The DJ cut the caller short and took other calls, all unsuccessful until:

DJ: "96FM, what's your name?"

Caller: "Hi, me name's Jeff."

DJ: "Jeff, what's your word?"

Caller: "Smee... spelt S-M-E-E, pronounced 'smee'."

DJ: "You are correct, Jeff, 'smee' is not in the dictionary. Now, for a trip to Bali: What sentence can you use that word in that would make sense?"

Caller: "Smee again! Goan [swear word] yourself!"

End Quote

Please note that I used [swear word] in case of bad language.

Also, this seemed to belong in Morbius but since this is about meterial/shader editor, this thread will stay here. So let's keep this on topic.
Posted By: NMS

Re: Surreal Material Effects/Shader Editor vers 1.1 ! - 08/12/05 08:42

EXCELENT TOOL MAN!
Its funny, a tool made in 3DGS to 3DGS lol.

I tried the program, and made a scrip of a metallic texture:

//CODE:
//----------------------------------------------
material mat_MetalSSE{
emissive_red = 0;
emissive_green = 0;
emissive_blue = 0;

ambient_red = 201.875;
ambient_green = 201.875;
ambient_blue = 201.875;

diffuse_red = 0;
diffuse_green = 0;
diffuse_blue = 0;

specular_red = 255;
specular_green = 255;
specular_blue = 255;

alpha = 100;
albedo = 100;
power = 25;
}
//------------------------------------

Where do I put this?

Note: Everyone who cant use this tool can ask me by private message to create the code in the tool.
Posted By: NMS

Re: Surreal Material Effects/Shader Editor vers 1.1 ! - 08/12/05 09:09

Sry, i couldnt resist to say again...

GREAAAAAAT TOOOOL!!!

Keep working on it
© 2024 lite-C Forums