1 or 2 free wishes

Posted By: Slin

1 or 2 free wishes - 06/23/11 18:47

As I havenīt contributed something for quite some time now and people tending to forget about my existence and mostly me beeing bored at the moment and not having done anything with Gamestudio for about a year or probably even longer, I offer to create one or two things you would like to have.
It can be anything code related, like some awesome script, the shader you always needed but never got or some legendary plugin.

Just post what you would like to see and I decide for what Iīd like to do the most.

And before you miss it:
tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue
Posted By: WretchedSid

Re: 1 or 2 free wishes - 06/23/11 18:48

Port Lite Foundations next release to Lite-C so I don't have the hassle with Windows.
Posted By: Germanunkol

Re: 1 or 2 free wishes - 06/23/11 18:55

Let's see... two wishes:
- Port acknex to Mac and Linux grin
- Automated Locomotion system for LiteC: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29ZEvxwq_F8
Posted By: 3run

Re: 1 or 2 free wishes - 06/23/11 19:11

FIRST:
Some great illuminations shader, like this one:
Quake 2 Real-time Global Illumination
Gamestudio really misses good dynamic shadows with flashlights (which could work with static and dynamic lights, blocks and models as well).
SECOND:
And good pathfinding with good obstacle avoidance and graphmaker (to increase it's speed). Gamestudio really misses great pathfinding... frown
Posted By: Rei_Ayanami

Re: 1 or 2 free wishes - 06/23/11 19:37

Deferred Lightning Engine for GS.

(Mostly I need a flashlight + and some more "normal" dynamic lights + combined with the lightmap of the level ;))
Posted By: Espér

Re: 1 or 2 free wishes - 06/23/11 19:43

1.) a better Network Sytem, wich allows downloads without ftp

2.) same as 3run.. a better pathfinding system ._.

Re: 1 or 2 free wishes - 06/23/11 19:46

I actually thought about something smaller than whole middleware solutions professional studios pay thousands of euros for...
I may still give something of this a try, but for now, I would prefer to get some more ideas tongue
Posted By: Joozey

Re: 1 or 2 free wishes - 06/23/11 19:58

Metaballs!
Posted By: Iglarion

Re: 1 or 2 free wishes - 06/23/11 20:03

lol guys!!! crazy smile a bit easier, Slin is not Superman smile .
Posted By: darkinferno

Re: 1 or 2 free wishes - 06/23/11 20:03

lmao you guys are horrible asking him for such hard stuff, my request, one of the following:

-object based motion blur that can work with shadeC
-i second germanunkols request for locomotion system, i had some results with this so i dont think its TOOOO hard? lol
- or just good IK

ps. quality must surpass crysis 4 or we wont accept it grin
Posted By: rojart

Re: 1 or 2 free wishes - 06/23/11 20:07

Just one wish, wants to have infinitely many wishes, ok a joke wink

Can you convert the Geometric Post-process Anti-Aliasing (GPAA) to DX9?
Posted By: fogman

Re: 1 or 2 free wishes - 06/23/11 20:10

An ingame particle editor with load and save possibilities.
Posted By: HeelX

Re: 1 or 2 free wishes - 06/23/11 20:14

If and only if object based motion blur, then please standalone and not tied to Shade-C! smile

I would like see really nice grass. LOTS of grass.
Posted By: darkinferno

Re: 1 or 2 free wishes - 06/23/11 20:44

grass ? i dont get that, why should he make grass ? lol a grass animation shader ? gpu grass ? =lost=

lol well my request was for it to work for shadec wink he did say make wishes right laugh
Posted By: Joozey

Re: 1 or 2 free wishes - 06/23/11 21:01

Hey Metaballs aren't hard, not harder than object based blur motion :L. you can find the algorithm everywhere. It's just the way of implementation that you need to think about.

Or an XMPP plugin! I mean that stuff is all pre-chewed if you know C/C++.
Posted By: lostclimate

Re: 1 or 2 free wishes - 06/23/11 22:00

soooo many of the things on here have already been done.... I'm still looking for a good point light solution. I have hopes for shade-c but its still taking a while, and supposedly its going to cost.

Re: 1 or 2 free wishes - 06/23/11 22:07

Originally Posted By: lostclimate
I'm still looking for a good point light solution.

I would like to have anything like Lightfrog in A8 D:
Posted By: Hummel

Re: 1 or 2 free wishes - 06/23/11 22:28

Quote:
Doesnīt make much sense under DX9 since the technique requires per-edge info.
Saving them in the vertex buffers is quite inefficient.
The alternative is to extranct them at runtime which requires a geo shader and therefore DX10.

Better idea would be to implement FXAA and since itīs a pp only effect and Slin has already experience with this technique it shouldnt be a problem for him at all.
Posted By: Random

Re: 1 or 2 free wishes - 06/23/11 22:30

Im also for Locomotion system for LiteC, nothing else wink
Posted By: Mythran

Re: 1 or 2 free wishes - 06/23/11 22:43

A shader that turns everything you choose to be transparent while the player is behind it in the player raidius.

A smart enemy: Can defend himself, by dodging away from you're attacks, both melee and ranged attacks with tutorial.
Actually Random already did this but has alot of bugs. Altought i already played it about 25 times and only managed to beat the guy once x)

or something like this x)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tk6vc6FIo6Y&feature=related

Tutorials (video) like unity has or better.
Gamestudio lacks alot of tutorials. On the other hand has alot of real example scripts.

Posted By: Timothy

Re: 1 or 2 free wishes - 06/23/11 23:34

Definitely an object based motion blur shader.
It is also maybe the only last missing standard shader which can not be achieved well through non-shader workarounds.

There is also a shader which slowly dissolves objects.
Like in 1:36 in this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4c1d0nRzWY
Would also be neat tongue

Re: 1 or 2 free wishes - 06/24/11 08:57

Dark@: damn dude... frown Superman doesn't exist?
May be I'm asking too much tongue but would be great if you could do only one wish, and that wish is good and fast pathfinding tongue
Posted By: HeelX

Re: 1 or 2 free wishes - 06/24/11 09:09

Originally Posted By: Timothy
There is also a shader which slowly dissolves objects.

Looks easy. Alpha mask thresholding and edge highlighting. But I guess it is not easy because nothing is easy smile but hell, it looks great!
Posted By: the_clown

Re: 1 or 2 free wishes - 06/24/11 09:36

I second the wish for object based motion blur.
Deferred lighting would be nice too, though. grin
Posted By: painkiller

Re: 1 or 2 free wishes - 06/24/11 11:21

deferred lighting would be nice, but that's too much work. What about modifying some of the default materials to work with a Spotlight? I also like the pathfinding idea.
Posted By: Bone

Re: 1 or 2 free wishes - 06/24/11 11:49

Pathfindig is a great idea wink
Posted By: WretchedSid

Re: 1 or 2 free wishes - 06/24/11 12:31

And good pathfinding is usually a extremely expensive middleware solution. So better forget it right away and think of something more realistic.
Posted By: alibaba

Re: 1 or 2 free wishes - 06/24/11 12:42

I want TUSC..
Posted By: Rondidon

Re: 1 or 2 free wishes - 06/24/11 12:53

Nevertheless working, well-engineered, basic pathfinding. With examples how to add make movement functionality, move to target etc.
Like Intense Pathfinding 3, just without bugs and maybe some more features.

Re: 1 or 2 free wishes - 06/24/11 13:18

Something like Perfect AI from AUM 31 (which can save all connections between nodes into ".txt" file to increase speed).
Plus example, to make AI walk around randomly, move to target, and move away from target. I think this will be easy for such expert. laugh
Posted By: Rondidon

Re: 1 or 2 free wishes - 06/24/11 13:41

Quote:
I think this will be easy for such expert.

.. and very useful and maybe also essential for the community. More than shaders laugh

Re: 1 or 2 free wishes - 06/24/11 14:04

Originally Posted By: Hummel
Quote:
Doesnīt make much sense under DX9 since the technique requires per-edge info.
Saving them in the vertex buffers is quite inefficient.
The alternative is to extranct them at runtime which requires a geo shader and therefore DX10.

Better idea would be to implement FXAA and since itīs a pp only effect and Slin has already experience with this technique it shouldnt be a problem for him at all.

Ok I understand the problem, we need to wait for implementations of DX10 or DX11, but also happy to see the FXAA sourcecode.

Another wish by the way is that effect (click image to see the effect):

Re: 1 or 2 free wishes - 06/24/11 14:13

There are a lot of shaders, but there is no single pathfinding which could work fast and wouldn't eat too much resources.

Re: 1 or 2 free wishes - 06/24/11 14:29

Nevertheless, Slin is very good at shaders.
I think it would be a pity to make him do something that can be achieved by a wider range of people.
The number of our shader gurus here is not very high and it seems that Slin is at his best at shaders. Use him grin

Re: 1 or 2 free wishes - 06/24/11 15:36

I would be happy with nice shaders (flashlight tongue!)

Re: 1 or 2 free wishes - 06/24/11 15:57

Everyone asks for stuff which he misses in him current project grin
But me and Rondidon are asking for something that everyone misses wink
Posted By: Germanunkol

Re: 1 or 2 free wishes - 06/24/11 16:00

On the topic of object based motion blur: Check out the overgrowth method. This method seems kinda slow, but then again I'm not sure how fast other methods would be, and I like the result.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0EjvtQdTHB0&feature=player_embedded#at=82

Re: 1 or 2 free wishes - 06/25/11 22:49

As quite a few shader wishes came up and and me knowing that there is someone else working on some animation and pathfinding stuff in a much higher quality than I could motivate me for, I decided to get started with some shader stuff.

And because I donīt like Shade-C and because I also donīt like the templates, I started this by advancing my PP_Helper.c to a more consistent, bigger library to be used as a basis for hopefully many new shaders.
This library allows you to set shader defines from within Lite-C and handles precompiling of shaders with and without defines, automatically loading the shaders correct permutation depending on the defines.

This is still at a very early state, but will hopefully grow in the future.
For now the only shader included is the third edition of FXAA, for whichI am actually setting several defines from Lite-C, but for now independant of any user input.
The effect is set to the highest quality, which provides very good results at a great performance on up to date hardware.

Here is some basic comparison screenshot:

You can download my framework with already precompiled shaders, doxygen comments and basic usage example for the fxaa here.

Re: 1 or 2 free wishes - 06/25/11 23:38

I get a black screen when FXAA is active on my HD3650

Re: 1 or 2 free wishes - 06/25/11 23:54

Try to uncomment the
#define SDSF_IGNORE_COMPILED

If that does not help, I wonder if it is related to the "missing" vertex shader which maybe does not use shadermodel 3.0, but I guess that we would have had more problems in the past with AMD cards then.
Is your directx up to date and your graphics driver?

In pp_fxaa3.c you can also try to comment out line 45 to 47 to see if you still donīt see anything then. If you donīt, open pp_fxaa3_luma.fx and set the shadermodel to 2.0 and see if you see something then.
Posted By: Hummel

Re: 1 or 2 free wishes - 06/26/11 00:35

@Germanunkol:
For overgrowth they simply render the object multible times and make the different instances partly translucent using jittered 1bit alpha masks.
This can become costly depending on the objects complexity but could be relativ easily implemented.
Worth a try imo. wink

Re: 1 or 2 free wishes - 06/26/11 10:26

Originally Posted By: Slin
Try to uncomment the

If that does not help, I wonder if it is related to the "missing" vertex shader which maybe does not use shadermodel 3.0, but I guess that we would have had more problems in the past with AMD cards then.
Is your directx up to date and your graphics driver?

In pp_fxaa3.c you can also try to comment out line 45 to 47 to see if you still donīt see anything then. If you donīt, open pp_fxaa3_luma.fx and set the shadermodel to 2.0 and see if you see something then.

Yes, I have latest DirectX and AMD drivers. I've tried all the solutions but none of them worked, still a black screen. If it helps, I get also a black screen when I run Wavefield Demo from Hummel

Re: 1 or 2 free wishes - 06/26/11 10:37

Quote:

+
Quote:

Try to uncomment (remove the comment tags in front of it) the

So even after this it was black? o.O
Did you ever successfully use any postprocessing effect? -.-

Re: 1 or 2 free wishes - 06/26/11 11:20

Combining all of them works at the beginning but I don't appreciate the antialiasing, and when I press f the engine freezes. I've used successfully all default GS post-processing shaders and also your PP effects from Shaders! V2, so all of what I've tried except Wavefield demo and this one.

Re: 1 or 2 free wishes - 06/26/11 23:15

painkiller: What happends with the above steps, but with keeping the shader model at 3.0?

Today I fixed a couple of bugs in my shader framework and made it reuse already loaded shaders.
I also started writing a general shader for most basic stuff like shading, outline, normalmapping, per vertex shading, ... The very first version however just features some basic dissolve effect and gpu bone animation wink.

You can download the latest stuff here.

Re: 1 or 2 free wishes - 06/27/11 07:22

So is this the first wish? blush What will be the next one?

Re: 1 or 2 free wishes - 06/27/11 11:05

Hell yeah, thank you!

Re: 1 or 2 free wishes - 06/27/11 18:00

@Slin, if I do that the screen is black from the beginning and it keeps like frozen: pressing f or esc hasn't any effect and I have to close it manually clicking on the X

Re: 1 or 2 free wishes - 06/27/11 22:23

Originally Posted By: Slin
... For now the only shader included is the third edition of FXAA ...

... The very first version however just features some basic dissolve effect ...

I am on vacation starting now, nevertheless thanks for the fxaa source code and basic dissolve effect.
For now, all the shader worked very well on my pc (CPU Intel, GPU Nvidia).
When I come back, I will check more carefully next time.

Thanks again Slin laugh

Re: 1 or 2 free wishes - 07/12/11 15:11

update: I've updated my graphics card to an HD 6870 and still get the black screen
Posted By: DLively

Re: 1 or 2 free wishes - 07/14/11 02:26

i have a request!

A new sword trail effect! Perhaps a shader, and not he code that is provided on on acknex resources... It wouldnt work for me smirk

Regards XD

Re: 1 or 2 free wishes - 08/22/11 18:06

I update this post to say that some days ago there was an update of AMD drivers and FXAA works for me now, just in case someone had the same problem

Re: 1 or 2 free wishes - 09/07/11 10:26

I just played around with the dissolve shader.
It seems the dissolving object is not being rendered
if there is a visible skycube.
Does anyone know how to fix this?
© 2024 lite-C Forums