Ragdoll system

Posted By: Chris3D

Ragdoll system - 02/25/05 07:43

Hi!

Ich wollt nur mal erwähnen, dass ich gerade an einem Charakter Studio für 3dgs arbeite mit folgenden features:
- benutzen von "biped" objekten(wie in 3dmax)

- das "biped" obkjekt fungiert als ragdoll und/oder player(je nach wahl)

- das biped controlliert ein bone skelett(mdl bones technik) das sich auf jedes humane model übertragen lässt.

- das system funktioniert mit high poly figuren!!!!!!(screenshots coming soon)

- das biped funktioniert mit der NewtonGamePhysik!
(d.h. wenn der player bzw. das biped objekt durchs level läuft argiert es dynamisch mit anderen newton physik objekten)

- es sind eigene animation des biped möglich(mit keypoints die als wdl generiert werden).

- alle physikalischen funktionen von der NewtonPhysik sind möglich z.b. tote körper im wasser schwimmen lassen(siehe z.b."farcry")

Das Ragdoll system funktioniert schon ganz gut ich bin gerade am coden des animations menüs...dauert aber nicht mehr lange dann is es fertig.
screenshots kann ich jetzt net posten, weil kein server zur verfügung steht und ich heute zu müde bin. screenshots und weiteres am wochenende.
(sorry, i am now too lazy for an english translation, good night good fight )
Posted By: Helghast

Re: Ragdoll system - 02/25/05 14:14

hey friendly_chris,

as this sounds as a GREAT contribution to ALL of us, i have taken the time to translate for you ^^.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi!

I'd like to tell you, that i am working on a character studio with the following features:
- useage of "biped" objects(as in 3dmax)

- the "biped" character functions as ragdoll and/or player (whatever fits your needs)

- the biped controls a bone skeleton(mdl bones technique) which can be used on your human model.

- the system works on high poly models too!!!!!!(screenshots coming soon)

- the biped works with NewtonGameDynamics too!
(ex. if the player or the biped object walks through the level it reacts dynamically with other physical objects)

- it's possible to do your own animations (with keypoints which are being generated into a wdl).

- All physics functions from newton are possible, for ex. dead body's floating in the water(look at "farcry" for example).

The ragdoll works good now and i'm busy on coding the animations menu'sich ...Wont take too long before it should be finished.
I cant post any Screenshots yet, because i've no server ready and i am too lazy. Screenshots will come at the end of the week.
( Translated by Dennis van den broek (yeah, he's from holland XD ), have fun )

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

sounds real nice, cant wait to test all this out, i once made a ragdoll system too, but those were just hinged objects and had no rotation limits (will your system have??).

regards,
Posted By: Josh_Arldt

Re: Ragdoll system - 02/25/05 14:45

Sounds like a great contribution.
I can't wait to see it here.
Hurry up!
Posted By: Blattsalat

Re: Ragdoll system - 02/25/05 17:30

If you are gonna use the biped system will it be able:

1.) to load biped structures (set up an ik chain in max and import the data format)?
2.) load biped animation sequences?

sounds like a great tool, and i am looking forward to see it in action.
cheers

Re: Ragdoll system - 02/26/05 02:55

to Blattsalat:
no sorry, this script can't import data from 3dmax or ik chains, it's just a simple but effectiv tool(works like "easyParticle3"). The best thing of it is that you don't need to create any frame or bone animation in MED(or 3dmax) you can do this in 3dgs in realtime (than create an animation wdl) and use it in your game. also nice animation sequences are possible.
I will wirte a tutorial and give an example level with it. More infos and screens, demos coming the next days...
greetings
chris

Re: Ragdoll system - 02/26/05 03:05

to dennis_fantasy:
well, my ragdoll/biped-object has hinges with rotation limits...but this is just a confi of the newton script. so, there is not problem at all.
greetings,
chris

p.s.: nebenbei, ich arbeite schon seit a4 mit 3dgs( mein alter nick war Nexus)

Re: Ragdoll system - 02/27/05 03:25

ok, here are some screenshots of my model dolly, it will be in the tutorial level, too. as i said, the model is controlled by bones, the bones are controlled by the "newton" biped object. the biped fits to dolly and reacts with other newton objects(in the picture it is newtons "water_pool" action).
the right leg can be controlled by keys...demo will come...

important: this biped is not finished! the fingers are missing and some hinge changes have to be done.

(i forgot the shadow, with it, it looks better)

!!I also forgot to mention that a face animation tool will be included(only useful for high poly models)!! I a simple tool with controllers for the face(of course without newton action).
Posted By: Steempipe

Re: Ragdoll system - 02/27/05 06:53

Looking forward to the contribution. Dolly's a babe, good job there.
Posted By: Guido_Richter

Re: Ragdoll system - 02/28/05 03:29

Hey, really nice and promising!
I'm looking forward to test it as soon as possible
Posted By: Toon

Re: Ragdoll system - 03/01/05 04:56

Im looking forward to it! Great work.
Posted By: Matt_Coles

Re: Ragdoll system - 03/01/05 15:17

Very nice work, just what I've been looking for. This is going to be an awesome addition for newton !
Posted By: Stansmedia

Re: Ragdoll system - 03/02/05 08:42

Absolutly cant wait!!!

Re: Ragdoll system - 03/03/05 03:30

Hi! This is a screenshot with the main menu...

It is a long way to go until the system will be finished, but i am going to hurry up.
greetings
chris form germany
Posted By: nuclear_winter

Re: Ragdoll system - 03/03/05 17:59

Looks promising, keep up the good work.

Re: Ragdoll system - 03/09/05 05:29

Hi! I made the select menu for the body bones...
I think, I can finish the keypoint-animation script tomorrow

Greetings
Chris
Posted By: Locoweed

Re: Ragdoll system - 03/09/05 11:33

Very cool Chris. Can't wait to see it in action.

Loco

Re: Ragdoll system - 03/13/05 04:21

Any more progress with this?

Re: Ragdoll system - 03/18/05 22:03

Hey Friendly Chris,
have you made progress on your app?

Re: Ragdoll system - 03/20/05 02:11

sorry, i had a problem with my gforce card, I think i can finish a nice demo this week for you, next week maybe the "release week"

Re: Ragdoll system - 03/24/05 00:57

Hi! I made a simple test demo for you, that you don't get so nervous while waiting...
!!!!IMPORTANT: the demo does NOT reflect the current state of the programm, the hinges of the legs and arms are without "pan" and "tilt" and the hands have no fingers!So, the demo has not the latest ragdoll-updates...but I think you can see that it works very fine with high models.(vertices: body = 9203, cloth = 2013, hair = 265)

For the demo you should know that you can zoom the camera with the mouse wheel and call the mouse with the right mouse button, if you press X you can control the right leg. The other functions are explained in the demo.

Simple TEST DEMO:Part1 Part2 Part3 Part4(7,3 MB)

You need Winrar to unpack!
greetings
chris
Posted By: Rhuarc

Re: Ragdoll system - 03/24/05 02:05

I get file corruption messages. If you want to email it as a complete archive to rhuarc[at]shadowforgeserver.net I will host it on my server for you.

-Rhuarc

Re: Ragdoll system - 03/24/05 03:29

I tested the download too and it worked, maybe you try it again...you need all 4 parts and the latest winrar...
I sent you the exe file...you can upload it

Re: Ragdoll system - 03/25/05 04:50

I love it so far, besides the things you mentioned, it feels stable and behaves very good. Maybe the best ragdoll test on this forum so far
I almost felt like a pervert throwing around this seminaked model
Keep it up man, it's gonna be a great contribution.

Re: Ragdoll system - 03/25/05 07:56

Thanks!!! I almost finished with the ragdollsystem script, everything works very good, like I expected...I hope I can finish the whole thing soon...I need it for my next games and you too, I think
CU
Chirs

Re: Ragdoll system - 03/29/05 02:16

Hi! I have a lot of problems with my "physical-balance" script, dolly is dancing crazy around and nothing fits right now,...I can upload a new demo this week, but not the final version, sorry...
cu chris

Re: Ragdoll system - 03/29/05 04:22

Quote:

Hi! I have a lot of problems with my "physical-balance" script, dolly is dancing crazy around and nothing fits right now,...

Sorry to hear that.
I bet this kind of thing is pretty difficult to do.
Keep up the good work. This thing is looking great!
Whatever you do... please don't give up on it.

Re: Ragdoll system - 03/29/05 07:57

Quote:

Quote:

Hi! I have a lot of problems with my "physical-balance" script, dolly is dancing crazy around and nothing fits right now,...

Sorry to hear that.
I bet this kind of thing is pretty difficult to do.
Keep up the good work. This thing is looking great!
Whatever you do... please don't give up on it.

EXACTLY

Re: Ragdoll system - 03/31/05 04:59

Thank for the support HSB & nuclear_winter & the others!!!
Well, well, i am testing animations with the ragdoll and I developed a simple walking animation, not very good looking, but for the first test it is ok...
use the keys "w", "s", "y" and "x" like in the "simple test demo".
Download here: Part1 Part2 Part3 Part4 (I changed some things you can use now "a" and "d" but some problems with the d-function you will see)
(In the level: You can press "x" when you are walking before the little rigde to fall over it )
I also made a rotation for the ragdoll and a "moving-around" script but there are some problems to fix, than I can upload it, too...
greetings
chris

Re: Ragdoll system - 04/02/05 00:49

any replys???
Posted By: Guido_Richter

Re: Ragdoll system - 04/02/05 01:13

Ok I give an answer:

I really looked forward to see any demo of you system!
I for myself tried to create objects using dynamic bones and so but I just succeeded partly.
So I'm happy to see your system working with bones AND physics and the result is amazing.

What I like:
Movement of a human connected with newton physics
The body parts behave like they got muscles and hinges like a real human

What I still don't like:
The bodyparts, especially the right arm spins around when I get to close to a box and the woman lands in the water beein not able to react to my keyboard inputs

The woman does not stand without movement and jumps a little all the time

The movement looks strange because she behaves like a doll made of gum when I slow her down.

But don't complain, your system is something noone working with 3DGS ever reached and I think it could be a really good basis for further human movement issues!!!
Keep it up!

Re: Ragdoll system - 04/02/05 02:57

At first, thanks for your reply, especially "What I still don't like" is useful for me!
In Antwort auf:

The bodyparts, especially the right arm spins around when I get to close to a box

I have not seen this bug, when you post a screenshot it would be great!
In Antwort auf:

woman lands in the water beein not able to react to my keyboard inputs

Just download the "simple Test Demo", there you can control her with keyboard inputs in the water.
In Antwort auf:

The woman does not stand without movement and jumps a little all the time
The movement looks strange because she behaves like a doll made of gum when I slow her down.

There is another possibility to remove these problems. Instead of the physic-body-parts, I could make one big bounding box which moves with the player and than when he is killed, the ragdoll-movement starts. So, there would be no more jittering, but you don't have a collision with the body parts, only with the bounding box.
I think, this way is used in a lot of games, like "max payne 2", "unreal tournament2004", "farcry" and other games with physics.

Re: Ragdoll system - 04/02/05 04:13

Quote:

There is another possibility to remove these problems. Instead of the physic-body-parts, I could make one big bounding box which moves with the player and than when he is killed, the ragdoll-movement starts. So, there would be no more jittering, but you don't have a collision with the body parts, only with the bounding box.

I think that way it would look good (we'll have control over the animations while still alive)! And i think it would be much easier for you to do!

Amazing work so far man.

Re: Ragdoll system - 04/02/05 06:20

Hey, I have an idea, i will make some little boxes for the body parts, they move with the bones or vertices....so the effect is the same only in the other way hehe, that would be cool...
THX nuclear_winter
Posted By: Stansmedia

Re: Ragdoll system - 04/02/05 06:50

All of your links dont work.
Posted By: EX Citer

Re: Ragdoll system - 04/02/05 15:59

all links do not work.

Re: Ragdoll system - 04/02/05 21:55

sorry the server is down...not my fault!
OK, i made a new test and it is working well! The ragdoll is controlled by the bones when the player is alive, and when the player is dead, the ragdoll controls the bones.
I will upload it when the server works again...
cu chris

Re: Ragdoll system - 04/03/05 00:27

Excellent! Cant wait!

Re: Ragdoll system - 04/06/05 14:12

I can't wait.

Looks very nice!

Great work so far.
I can't wait to see it finished.

Re: Ragdoll system - 04/11/05 22:45

bump
What happened Friendly? I hope everything is coming along nicely
Posted By: Helghast

Re: Ragdoll system - 04/12/05 04:34

yeah, same here...
i'd love to get this one implemented in a shooter anyday soon

(all noobs dreams come true, the first steps of a HL2 shooter are being made here *ragdoll, you know *)

regards,

Re: Ragdoll system - 04/12/05 18:29

Sorry that I didn't reply...I worked on the animation script but I had some problems to write it general for all hinges...
The good news for you:
at first, I wanted to sell the whole CStudio but now I have no time to script it, because of school work...so you will get the whole ragdoll system for free, but without the animation part.
I will release it next week! (maybe monday or tuesday)
So want is possible with this free script:
-collision with other newton objects when the player/enemy is alive.
-ragdoll movement if the player/enemy is dead!

When I have no school stress , I make the script-animation if you want...
Cu chris

Re: Ragdoll system - 04/12/05 21:40

Great! I can't wait

Re: Ragdoll system - 04/13/05 09:12

Thats good news Chris, i hope you have time to finish it, since it is great so far. But anyway it's nice that you'll release it earlier for us to play with and implement in our projects.

Thanx

Re: Ragdoll system - 04/19/05 20:28

Hi! I couldn't finish it today, but as you can see, I finished the important "alive collision" script. Tomorrow, I will combine it with the "dead" ragdoll movement. Don't worry, it will be soon ready for you!
Greetings Chris

Re: Ragdoll system - 04/20/05 07:04

Thanx a lot Chris, i'm happy that everything is coming up together and works well. I'll keep checking every day

Re: Ragdoll system - 04/21/05 15:22

Ok, I have here a "beta version", but it is now not very useful for you...but you can have a look. I won't answer any questions to that version, because there is coming up a new and better version, soon!
Download Part1_rar Part2_rar! Control keys: w,a,s,d,q,e; y,x
I am working on it!
Greetings Chris

Re: Ragdoll system - 04/21/05 23:35

Thanx for the update Chris, i get a little error though

Re: Ragdoll system - 04/22/05 11:40

Can't wait till try, post my results in the evening, thanks Chris

Re: Ragdoll system - 04/22/05 12:08

Very nice, I got the same error, I just removed the shader_overlay script and deleted the mat_overlay material in the dolly.wdl
Works very well, I can't wait to see the next version

thanks again,

Matt Coles

Re: Ragdoll system - 04/22/05 19:15

Oh sorry, I had the shader_overlay.wdl in my template order...I changed the download files...just download it again, sorry.
cu chris

Re: Ragdoll system - 04/24/05 21:48

Looks awsome!
Can't wait for the next version.

Re: Ragdoll system - 04/29/05 13:11

I think my work on the ragdoll system would be faster if someone help me with my shader problems in the shader topic "Parallax Mapping + Projection's shadow"...

Posted By: Pappenheimer

Re: Ragdoll system - 04/29/05 19:22

"Parallax Mapping + Projection's shadow" is needed for bones animation? O_O

Re: Ragdoll system - 04/30/05 08:56

I would be glad to help you, but i'm an artist and am not good with scripting. Dont get frustrated eventually someone will help you!
Anyway keep up the good work man.

Re: Ragdoll system - 05/05/05 13:00

Bump!
I hope you're doing OK and all your projects including the ragdoll are coming along nicely.

Re: Ragdoll system - 05/10/05 21:50

Any news on the ragdoll system?

Re: Ragdoll system - 05/24/05 05:40

@friendly_chris

I hope you haven't given up on this man.
I have been waiting for months for your next release of the ragdoll system.

Re: Ragdoll system - 07/07/05 12:50

hi, I am still alive !
sorry, but i had no time for the rag. system...well, now i have!
but you have to wait until I fix the start-rotation-problem with the small col. boxes and some other bugs.

cu chris

Re: Ragdoll system - 07/07/05 15:43

Nice to hear from you again man! Its very cool that you'll actually keep working on the ragdoll system! Keep up the good work!

Re: Ragdoll system - 07/23/05 10:54

Ok, I improved the thing with the little white cubes(that you have collision also with fast movement),
and I can make the change from activ player to ragdoll more smooth, but the question is, does it make sense? I don't know, how much fps you lose, but I lose over 30fps, when I start the ragdoll movement. The only possibility is to reduce the detail-movement of the ragdoll, that means, I have to delete some not so important hinges and bones.
This sucks more than anything that has ever sucked before
Cu chris
Posted By: Jim_beam

Re: Ragdoll system - 08/29/05 10:38

Hello,

any news on the ragdoll system?

JB

Re: Ragdoll system - 08/29/05 13:40

Yeah I will combine it with my new character animation script just look at the other thread... New Character Bones-Help Movement

Re: Ragdoll system - 08/29/05 17:42

hmmm, sounds good!!!

Re: Ragdoll system - 08/29/05 21:00

It's good to hear that you are still working on it.
Posted By: oli

Re: Ragdoll system - 08/31/05 14:12

Year, I hope you will release this realy good tool soon.
Posted By: aznan

Re: Ragdoll system - 09/24/05 01:48

Any updates?

Re: Ragdoll system - 09/27/05 09:41

Hey Chris, are you with us yet?
How's the Ragdoll system development coming along?

keep us posted
© 2024 lite-C Forums