Rusty Cemente Walls Textures

Posted By: sempronius

Rusty Cemente Walls Textures - 07/17/05 10:42

Something else I've been working on, still in the WIP phase.

C&C as always, opinions on the overal look and theme of the textures, if they are useful or useable and what direction should this theme or style go in... these are just some basic walls, what else should I make to go with them?

- S
Posted By: EX Citer

Re: Rusty Cemente Walls Textures - 07/17/05 15:06

These textures are looking perfect... almost, the white dot will disturb pattern because it "jumps into the eye". But itīs no problem for me to remove it. Another minus of the textures is, that "single" textures are useless. A complete theme set is useful, like factory, forest shelter or harbour.
Posted By: Efrint

Re: Rusty Cemente Walls Textures - 07/17/05 15:09

these textures are looking very nice...it would be great, if you did a complete texture pack of this theme...
Posted By: bupaje

Re: Rusty Cemente Walls Textures - 07/17/05 21:10

These are looking great. Your texture work is really coming along beautifully. Tiny suggestion is that the top three all use the same base wall texture. If you don't want to put something in the middle of these particular textures like you did on the last one then you might consider altering the middles of each just a tiny bit -for instance different dirt pattern, cracks or whatever. Very good job.

Re: Rusty Cemente Walls Textures - 07/17/05 21:17

thanks.

the white dot, i didnt even see it last night, must have been tired, but now I see a couple of them, easy enough to remove.

I always try to make complete sets, right now I'm just trying to figure out what this set should be. Once I have a clearer picture in my mind of what this place looks like it'll be a lot easier.

- S

Re: Rusty Cemente Walls Textures - 07/18/05 08:05

A couple more walls... trying to create some variations. I'll be posting some more soon.

C&C please.

- S

Re: Rusty Cemente Walls Textures - 07/18/05 08:19

Very nice! Keep 'em coming.

Re: Rusty Cemente Walls Textures - 07/18/05 08:42

I'll probably do another round of examples some time tonight or tomorror and after that I'll release the final set in a few days. I'm giving myself a time limit on this project or else I'll spend the next few months playing around with it and still not be happy with the results.

so, gimme your comments and critiques and make any requests you might have for this set 'cus the clock is ticking... BTW, it will be a freebie set.

- S
Posted By: ello

Re: Rusty Cemente Walls Textures - 07/18/05 09:40

hey, very nice job there..
i request one or two broken walls in that set, bullet-holes or cracks

maybe some air-holes
Posted By: Machinery_Frank

Re: Rusty Cemente Walls Textures - 07/18/05 09:46

Very nice work. You are great!
Posted By: FeiHongJr

Re: Rusty Cemente Walls Textures - 07/18/05 10:50

Wow, These are quite impressive Very good work. Hope to see more.

Re: Rusty Cemente Walls Textures - 07/18/05 11:14

ok, last 2 for the night.

some floors. Still WIP with a few things missing.

- S

Re: Rusty Cemente Walls Textures - 07/18/05 15:16

These textures are realy good, and you create them very fast. Are you sure you didnīt ripped them somewhere?

Re: Rusty Cemente Walls Textures - 07/20/05 10:39

ok, a couple more walls.. still WIP stuff but I'm close to releasing a small set... just need to sort them out, finish a few and make some last minute changes.

- S
Posted By: Marcio Esper

Re: Rusty Cemente Walls Textures - 07/20/05 12:05

Great job

Very cool textures.

congratulations

best regards,

Marcio

Re: Rusty Cemente Walls Textures - 07/20/05 21:20

Chaged the floor grate, didn't think it should be the same as the walls plus the thin wire probably wouldn't be strong enough to suport much weight. Still need to fix the litte white dots.

- S
Posted By: Towelie

Re: Rusty Cemente Walls Textures - 07/20/05 21:28

Dude, if you were here in front of me I'd be kissing your feet lol, these are AMAZING! Add some bump mapping to this and my gosh...

Re: Rusty Cemente Walls Textures - 07/20/05 22:17

@semipronius -stuff is lookin' good. Probably the safest way to get rid of those dots is to use a push brush or just retouch with a paint brush (is it something in the source image?). In case you want to try something else look at this free filter http://www.redpawmedia.com/hotpixel.html and see if it removes the white spots without degrading the quality of the texture. I tested it and if you use your selection tool and draw quickly draw a circle around each area

(in PSP you can hold down the SHIFT key to add multiple selections)

and then run the tool once or twice it seems to do an ok job. You can then just touch up any tiny specks that refuse to die.

Re: Rusty Cemente Walls Textures - 07/21/05 02:46

It'll actually be a lot easier than that. It's just a base rust texture that I've filled over a grate pattern so I just need to touch up the base texture, healing or clone, and then re-fill the pattern. I should have done this when I first noticed the spots but I've been more into creating the walls and haven't gotten around to it.

I'll go through everything and touch them up some before I release a finished set.. remember, the stuff I'm posting here is all WIP stuff and doesnt reflect what will end up in the finished set. But I do appreciate all C&C that I can get, it really does help.

Bump mapping - I've been wanting to do this, it does seem to be the future of textures so I'll get around making textures using normal and spec maps eventually. I should also start getting used to making walls in a 3d program and creating the textures and maps that way.

- S

Re: Rusty Cemente Walls Textures - 07/21/05 06:16

If you want to make normal maps from 3D models I recomment you "melody" from nvidia. Itīs a free tool to create lod models with normal maps of their high poly parents. Itīs small and has some good options.
Posted By: Matt_Coles

Re: Rusty Cemente Walls Textures - 07/21/05 07:37

very nice
Posted By: Daedelus

Re: Rusty Cemente Walls Textures - 07/21/05 08:24

Looking good as always Sempronius!

Re: Rusty Cemente Walls Textures - 07/25/05 10:03

the cement wasn't working for me so I switched to a metal theme... here is another WIP.

Just started this new version last night so there are a lot of things that still need to be finished up.

- S

Re: Rusty Cemente Walls Textures - 07/25/05 17:23

Looking good.

Re: Rusty Cemente Walls Textures - 07/26/05 09:31

Yep, very good.
Posted By: Tozzy

Re: Rusty Cemente Walls Textures - 07/26/05 21:45

Wish I could see them but it won't link them to this server because your bandwidth allowance has been exceeded. Msybe you should host them on a different server.

Re: Rusty Cemente Walls Textures - 07/27/05 03:54

they are hosted at 'myonlineimages which gives me 1500mb bandwidth a month. I've been looking at a couple of other alternatives but it's not easy finding an all-in-one solution that is free and fits my needs.

- S

Re: Rusty Cemente Walls Textures - 07/27/05 04:28

working of getting the perfect metal look. here are a 3 variations both clean and rusty... which do you think is the best?

I haven't made them seamless yet... still working on getting the right metal look.

#1 - no changes from psd file

#2 - sharpen filter

#3 - sharpen filter and auto levels

- S
Posted By: Bilbo

Re: Rusty Cemente Walls Textures - 07/27/05 12:12

either 2 or 3, but 2 i think. In my opinion number 1 is to soft and fuzzy to be metal

Re: Rusty Cemente Walls Textures - 07/28/05 01:18

more WIP stuff, still adding details

- S
Posted By: Shinobi

Re: Rusty Cemente Walls Textures - 07/29/05 22:07

This is excelent work i think , would like to see how you make this , maybe a video tutorial
Posted By: Tozzy

Re: Rusty Cemente Walls Textures - 07/29/05 22:27

Number 3 definitely is the best because it gives a rough look too. Very good work Sempronius. I love it. Yup, there is more to texturing than just taking snapshots of trash cans for a source of metal as I always thought

Re: Rusty Cemente Walls Textures - 07/30/05 00:03

ok, a quick tutorial. I'm not going to go into great detail but I'll give you my basic workflow.

First I start off by creating my basic shapes. In this case I am going to build a wall panel with 2 vents covered with a grate with pipes in the background.

here is the shape for the wall

the shape for the grate

and the shape for the pipes

not very exciting yet

with all three of the shapes I used a pattern fill and filled all of them with a seamless metal texture that I have pre-made. You probably want to use different textures or at least different variations for the different elements but in this case I used the same texture for all three layers.

the pipes... copy the pipe layer, select each of the pipes and fill with a gradient fill with a reflective gradient

change the layer property for the gradient pipes to 'soft light'. This is a very simple and quick way to make pipes.

from here is just a matter of going through each layer and adding filters, adding any additional details and finishing it off with a nice rusty texture on top set to 'soft light' to give the whole image a dirty rusty look.

the final texture, took me less than 5 min to create and I didn't do anything artistic. Normally I would touch it up some more and add more details but I don't think it looks that bad for a quickie texture.

Posted By: Shinobi

Re: Rusty Cemente Walls Textures - 07/30/05 00:19

Thats a nice and quick way Thx ....

Photoshop is one of the best to do stuff like this...

Re: Rusty Cemente Walls Textures - 07/30/05 01:18

ok, here is a normal map and a simpler version of the texture to go with it.

I would really appreciate it if someone could test this out for me and lemme know how it looks (a screenshot would be even better). Next on the list is spec maps but I'm still working on getting normal mapping right.

Re: Rusty Cemente Walls Textures - 07/30/05 02:04

Wow, great textures! I especially appreciate the tutorial. Please put a copy in the Tutorials thread. I have to thank you for while I can do the detail work your method and explanation is much faster as I usually spend several hours on mine. Thanks very much for sharing.

Do you mind if I suggest some things I have learned on sharpening based on your images?

#1 is your image with 'sharpening'

#2 is your original image with 'highpass sharpening'

#3 is your image and I added a layer that I used 'local equalization' plugin on, and set the blend mode to Muliply at 10% opacity.

What I have found is while sharpening can look very good for an image viewed at normal size, in WED if you apply the texture at 1.0 or even .5 it shows a lot of pixelation. Here are the same textures zoomed in to 200% which would approx what they would look like in WED at .5 (assuming I did the math right).

So you can see that if you need to sharpen or increase the detail method #2 or #3 gives better results -unless you set the texture in WED to something like .25.

Thanks again.

Re: Rusty Cemente Walls Textures - 07/30/05 02:19

Oh, best thing for hosting textures is to put them on TurboSquid.com
Posted By: Spectre

Re: Rusty Cemente Walls Textures - 07/30/05 02:34

I am simply amazed at all you texture maker guys. Your skills are far greater than mine, to be sure!

Bupaje and Semp, keep up the fantastic work!

Re: Rusty Cemente Walls Textures - 07/30/05 03:05

I used ello's free bumPreview tool from this thread to do a quick preview for you

http://www.coniserver.net/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=534616

Here's your normal map applied

http://stormvisions.com/3DGS/norm1.jpg

Here's another where I just split the normal map to RGB, increased the intensity of the Blue channel a bit (which represents the Z depth info) and rebuilt the normal map

http://stormvisions.com/3DGS/norm2.jpg

have to try building a 3D model and getting a normal map of that some day as Drew had mentioned how much better results were given. Anyway it looks good except I think you may have some problem with Moire effect with the wire mesh inlay. If so you may have to just 'mess up' the regularity of the color/lighting/lines of the wire mesh just a little as the regular pattern is what tends to produce this effect.
Posted By: RJDL

Re: Rusty Cemente Walls Textures - 08/02/05 18:22

looks really good!
like this stile!
keep going
Posted By: r00tsh3ll

Re: Rusty Cemente Walls Textures - 08/10/05 08:04

newb question:
Are textures from this thread free?
My team is in the middle of finishig a game that i will make free, but i would like to to have a completely free stuff in it (of course your name goes into credits ) in another words i dont want to have any problems after putting it all together

Also if they are please post what name goes into credits ...
© 2024 lite-C Forums