Online Highscores - Host your own

Posted By: poke_smot

Online Highscores - Host your own - 01/20/06 02:07

Included in the .zip is some php, some example cscript functions, and gshttpc.dll.

In order to use this you'll need to know how to install php scripts on your webserver.
You'll also need a mysql database.

Its developed with php 4.3.10 and mysql 4.0.25 but should also run in other versions (?) I don't see why not.

You can edit 'header.php' and 'footer.php' to customize your web feed.

The example cscript relies on gshttpc.dll but you can also do nearly the same thing with batch files.

This version of highscore management is very simple. It only supports a few things.
1) adding player accounts
2) updating player accounts
3) retrive info on specific player
4) game feed
5) web feed
6) MOTD

Credit is always nice but not required.
I would really like to hear of any improvements you make.

http://www.zingerhead.com/3dgshighscores.zip
Posted By: taipan

Re: Online Highscores - Host your own - 01/20/06 15:53

I just wonder why noone posts a "hey, thats great, im gonna use it in my MMORPG im developing"

Havent seen the result of the code and what it really does but its probably great

Is there a game out there with the code implemented?

Re: Online Highscores - Host your own - 01/20/06 22:54

Theres no game yet with this variation of code, its to soon.
But theres been quite a few games use other variations, only most of them aren't complete games.
But heres some that are complete(at least downloadable)

1) Pachinkoagogo
2) Natio (hes got some bugs in his game, the strange entries are nothing to do with my system)
3) FingerBang
4) Christmas Crisis 2

Of those games I only made one, so you see that people do use this stuff.
Posted By: Dutchie666

Re: Online Highscores - Host your own - 01/21/06 06:51

i was already expirimenting(good english? :P), and i am sure your code will also help me with managing to get it work good with my game.

so, thanks...
Posted By: taipan

Re: Online Highscores - Host your own - 01/21/06 14:26

I'd like to create a game like www.roseonlinegame.com in the future but some blood, sweat and tears have to go first

I think it uses something similiar login and stuff!?
Posted By: Dutchie666

Re: Online Highscores - Host your own - 01/21/06 21:57

well rose online uses a login system that goes directly to the server of the game, so it wont connect to just a website to login...

Re: Online Highscores - Host your own - 01/23/06 12:34

This is more a score managment for singleplayer games.
You could use it for a MMORPG but you'd probably rather your server code did that.
Posted By: hyde5659

Re: Online Highscores - Host your own - 04/04/06 20:02

Any chance you could explain exactly how to implent this into a game?

Re: Online Highscores - Host your own - 04/04/06 22:49

nitty gritty quick explanation..
3dgsHighscores.wdl is a working example. Just make your own test wmb and change the level name on line 8 in the script.
Notice each function is triggered by a keypress, thats just for your testing, remove those parts after testing.
Function txtDump() is for testing too.

Basicly, set the config settings at the top of '3dgsHighscores.php' and upload it to your server.
Now create a table in your mysql db with the same name you used in the config settings. There is a part in '3dgsHighscores.php' to help you do this.

Now you can use '3dgsHighscores.wdl' to test your highscore system. Be sure to change the serverUrl string to point to '3dgsHighscores.php' on your server. The "pretend game code" part is an example of the kind of data you game needs to feed the system.

edit*
oops, might have misread your question.
Mainly the interface is up to you, but let me dig around later, i think I have something.
example wise that is
Posted By: hyde5659

Re: Online Highscores - Host your own - 04/05/06 12:34

Thank you, I aprreciate it.
Posted By: Shinobi

Re: Online Highscores - Host your own - 04/05/06 15:11

Sounds very good and i was always looking for something like this , it would be nice to use this in my little fun "Game run or Die" << (made just for fun for the community).

But what about that problems if you download a file with the same name as before (just updated) , the folder with temp Internet files always took the file downloaded at last , so the new one would not be downloaded.

Do your plugin manage this Problem ?

Re: Online Highscores - Host your own - 04/05/06 21:35

Quote:

But what about that problems if you download a file with the same name as before (just updated) , the folder with temp Internet files always took the file downloaded at last , so the new one would not be downloaded.

This system does not save any file. It only puts the results in a string, its up to you to use that string in a way that fits your game, its impossible to anticipate the way everybody would want to use this so I made it this way so the interface is up to you.

Now about the example, I have a project that can be simplified, so I'm gonna sacrifice it to you as an example.
But its still just an example, in the end you will have to create your own interface to match your game/style/the way its used.
Posted By: Shinobi

Re: Online Highscores - Host your own - 04/05/06 22:29

Sounds good so far . Thanks

Re: Online Highscores - Host your own - 04/07/06 01:26

Hi, I'm sorry guys but i simply don't have the time to do what I would like... so you will just have to make due with a less than wonderful example.

Heres the project i was talking about flinger. ~2.5mb
Its far from complete, has bugs, and isn't the best but it is a game with a online highscore table using this highscore system.
I would have prefered to have cleaned it up quite a bit and made it pretty but I just don't have time.

You want to pay attention to function 'initGame' in 'flingerMain.wdl'. Its the main game loop so keep in mind its always running.(thats just the way i did it not a requirement or anything)
Its a monster but well commented and shows how to do several things
-check for connection
-add a player account
-update a player account
-verify current score is higher than posted score(don't post lower scores)
-show top 5 scores
-save player info to encrypted file
-retrive player info from encrypted file

Hopefully this helps more than confuses you.
You have to apply it to work within your own game.
Posted By: ROMAC

Re: Online Highscores - Host your own - 04/07/06 13:33

This was the greatest game. Forget the high scores, you did an amazing job with the gameplay. Great job!

Re: Online Highscores - Host your own - 04/07/06 20:58

glad you liked it, the trick to getting the highest score is not letting the crate rotate and letting the rats come to you...
Posted By: KoH

Re: Online Highscores - Host your own - 04/09/06 21:37

Haven't had a chance to use this yet but it should be good. I already have my online highscores system working(ish). I'll have a look at this to get ideas for mine.
Posted By: Michael_Schwarz

Re: Online Highscores - Host your own - 04/09/06 22:47

Got on the highscore place 1.... harrr! 4700 points

beat me...

nice game btw

Re: Online Highscores - Host your own - 04/10/06 15:13

4700 is prretty dang good, you must have had a near perfect round(at least one rat per smash)

Btw the top 20 scores are at www.zingerhead.com/test/3dgsHighscores.php

This is just the basics of what you can do with a system like this, the sky and your imagination are the limits.
Posted By: Anubis

Re: Online Highscores - Host your own - 04/16/06 18:11

yeah 4700 was pretty dang good Great system poke_smot. Now
I can mix the scores with some other features like statisticscards
and forums. I love the card system too. easy login Keep it up!
Posted By: Michael_Schwarz

Re: Online Highscores - Host your own - 04/17/06 05:38

darn someone cracked my highscore, gotta take it back
© 2024 lite-C Forums