Voice Chat Server

Posted By: indiGLOW

Voice Chat Server - 03/28/06 17:16

Indiglow.co.uk is proud to anounce that we are hosting a FREE TeamSpeak voice chat server for developers here to use.

We will open the server for full public access in a few days, in the meantime we would like to hear from developers any suggestions for specific areas, for example C-Script and so on. So while this IS a contribution, from indiglow to the community, it would be helpful if you could offer some ideas so we can make the service as useful as possible.

We hope this will give developers here a chance to communicate easier, and if it proves popular we see no reason why we will not maintain this service indefinatly.

We are also looking for volunteers to be granted moderator status to help look after the rooms on the server, hopefully some one with multi-lingual talent, especially German/English would like to help out.

Thanks, and look forward to TALKING to some of you very soon
Posted By: beegee

Re: Voice Chat Server - 03/28/06 17:22

A nice idea of you to open a voice chat server. This will be comfortable for teams or just who want to ask for sth.
How many can chat(speak) together?
If go into one server can you just ask one question or what?

Regards,
beegee

----------------------------
GenuineMotors.de
Posted By: Xarthor

Re: Voice Chat Server - 03/28/06 17:30

Hey cool idea indi, luckily I bought a new headset a few weeks ago, and I have teamspeak2 (2.0.32.60) installed.

EDIT:
I would go with the idea to create different rooms for different topics, like you suggested, one for scripting, art and development/business stuff.
And of course one for just talking trash lol

Looking forward to connecting to this TS server
Posted By: light_mystic

Re: Voice Chat Server - 03/28/06 17:36

Some nice things happening for the GS Community and I see this is one of them. I also like the Idea of having it into Different Categories.... Level Design, 3D Modeling, Etc Etc. You can also have a section that is for just Game Business. This section could have NDA Templates and other Legal stuff that comes with the Legal Side of things.

I am not sure if it can be setup this way but if it would be nice. A one stop place to find it all for Game Dev. Enough content to make anyone visit again and again.

-Paul.

Re: Voice Chat Server - 03/28/06 17:45

Well sounds like you guys would make ideal moderators, If you are interested of course

The voice server will be grown to accomodate more users if required, and there is no real limit to how many people can be in any one room, however we have set some limitations just to get started.

Hopefully through feedback from users, we can adjust this to suit.

As for individual rooms, I think its a good idea to make them quite broad catagories, and let more specific conversations take place in some general topic private rooms.
Posted By: Michael_Schwarz

Re: Voice Chat Server - 03/28/06 21:05

Quote:

We will open the server for full public access in a few days

Darn, I should read better before I try 19 times to Connect to the server...

Re: Voice Chat Server - 03/28/06 22:31

Sorry Michael, hopefully tomorrow we will run an open test

Unless your interested in moderating, hows your german?
Posted By: Silent_Assassin

Re: Voice Chat Server - 03/29/06 03:30

this is a great idea indiGLOW

and like you did say it would give people a better way of communicating instead of having to send message after message

good work bro

EDIT: I cant load up your site glow ??

Re: Voice Chat Server - 03/29/06 05:35

Quote:

Sorry Michael, hopefully tomorrow we will run an open test

Unless your interested in moderating, hows your german?

I am indeed intrested in that.

My german is perfect, as I am german, my family is german(with exception of my mother) and I talk german almost all the day, except when Im in school, where I do talk spanish as it is a spanish school(which is normal because I live in spain ). And to my english, just listen to my podcasts!

Re: Voice Chat Server - 03/29/06 05:39

Quote:

Unless your interested in moderating,

lol who wouldnt be interested in moderating

Re: Voice Chat Server - 03/29/06 09:32

@Silent_Assassin: Not sure why you are having difficulty accessing our site, we had some problems yesterday with I.E users due to a log overflow, but this was resolved. Are you still having problems now?

@Michael_Schwarz: If I may explain a little: I asked for a moderator with lingual skills, especially in German / English, as I am aware there is a large contingent of German developers here, and while I can get by on the forums with a little help from BabelFish, we will need someone who can translate important information, and discussions, who can also be a responsible moderator.

Also it would be beneficial to have a few people from different time zones to keep an eye on things around the clock.

So if you are truly interested in becoming a moderator of this voice chat please contact me through the site and I will get you set up.

One thing I did want to say is that I do not expect the server to be full with developers all the time, and so we will be implementing a window on out website, so that you can see who is in the TS server, before joining.

We are rolling this service out this week, and we ask that people are patient as we work out any bugs in the system

@Business Users: We will also be able to offer private conference rooms for business users, please get in touch with us via our website.

@Everyone: Some ideas for rooms?

*Programing
    *Modeling
    *Business

And a few general rooms for people who want a little privacy?

Re: Voice Chat Server - 03/29/06 09:35

nope still wont load up

It comes up with

Invalid Syntax Error

Re: Voice Chat Server - 03/29/06 11:04

@Silent_Assassin: PM'd you.

Re: Voice Chat Server - 03/29/06 12:03

Hey the server seems to be already running.
I just joined, looks good, but ... erm empty, lol

Voice Chat Server (ONLINE) - 03/29/06 12:56

Yes server should be open to the public now, although we are still testing

Re: Voice Chat Server (ONLINE) - 03/29/06 13:07

Yes the Voice Server is now open to the public, and I expect a few of you, like thunder will pop your head in to see if anyone is there.

Please keep in mind this is a new thing for the community and it will take a little time for people to start using it, maybe if you do log in in the next few weeks you could try and stay around for a little while, over time I expect more people will use it.

For the record: You do not need to be part of indiglow to use this server, it is open to everyone here at this community, conitec included, and we hope that you will find it a useful service.

Look forward to speaking to you all very soon

Re: Voice Chat Server (ONLINE) - 03/29/06 14:11

can someone give me voice plz ?
Posted By: AlexGFX

Re: Voice Chat Server (ONLINE) - 03/29/06 14:33

Very cool, thanks for the contrib.

-Alex

Re: Voice Chat Server (ONLINE) - 03/29/06 16:35

As Michael points out, there is a small problem with granting voice to new users, we will try to sort this as soon as possible. In the meantime you can request voice in the main rooms from a Channel admin, or start your own room, and then grant people the voice rights when they join.

Like I said above we are still tweaking how it works, so please be patient.

Re: Voice Chat Server (ONLINE) - 03/29/06 19:41

As I see, I can now assign myself Voice/Auto-Voice... fine fine

EDIT: Enable the self registration too please, so I can register with the server and noone takes my name

Re: Voice Chat Server (ONLINE) - 03/29/06 20:44

We will only usually offer registration to regular visitors or as in your case, moderators.
Also indiglow team members will be registered.

I think it might take a little time for people here to start using the service, but I expect once people start they will see how useful it is, and hopefully we can look forward to meeting more of the community over the next few weeks.

Just in case there is any doubt. The service is completely free, you do not have to be a member of our site to use the voice chat server, although it would be nice if you signed up, thats free too

So come on in and say hi!

Re: Voice Chat Server (ONLINE) - 03/29/06 21:06

I love it, I mean the voice chat
Added a bit of advertising to my sig if you don't mind indi
Posted By: Hellcrypt

Re: Voice Chat Server (ONLINE) - 03/29/06 21:14

I use to use teamspeak heavily before but then I broke my head set, I got a new one about a month ago. But this one will not work with teamspeak for some reason. Yahoo, Icq, Skype all work fine but it won't work for teamspeak for some reason. Anyone have any ideas?

Re: Voice Chat Server (ONLINE) - 03/29/06 21:18

maybe you just didnt get Voice rights, just join, and We'll try it together. I am Online at the moment.

Re: Voice Chat Server (ONLINE) - 03/29/06 22:47

Nope that's not it, I tried it with my friends as well and nothing. This is really annoying, I even tried changing the settings on teamspeak but nothing worked. It use to work perfectly with my other head set.

Re: Voice Chat Server (ONLINE) - 03/30/06 06:17

Test your headset with some basic sound recorder, like a wav editor. Check that you are getting sound from the mic etc...

Then check settings in TeamSpeak, Sound-Settings, make sure you have a key assigned for push to talk and use the Locat Test to see if you get any sound.

Also check your sound settings, that your mic is not muted in the recording settings.

Let me know if that helps...

Voice Chat Server (ONLINE) - 03/30/06 17:39

Thanks to everyone helping to spread the word about the voice chat server by adding details to their signitures, nice work everyone, thanks
Posted By: PHeMoX

Re: Voice Chat Server (ONLINE) - 04/02/06 23:16

Quote:

Nope that's not it, I tried it with my friends as well and nothing. This is really annoying, I even tried changing the settings on teamspeak but nothing worked. It use to work perfectly with my other head set.

I had some similar stuff going on, did you check your volume settings, like make sure it's not muted? And step 2 would be to check if your microphone is selected at all as the current device to use
It should be somewhere at the same spot as the first thing I mentioned, you will get a screen with lots of different volume settings for different kinds of sound, WAV, CD, etc. and for recording devices (step 2) line in, microphone (this one should be selected) and some more .... I can use my microphone for any program, yet for some reason when I want to use it for Teamspeak I always need to unmute and select the microphone as the recording device. Hope this solves it,

Cheers

Re: Voice Chat Server (ONLINE) - 04/02/06 23:26

Yep I have tried all of those. But the weird thing is it works with all other programs.
Posted By: PHeMoX

Re: Voice Chat Server (ONLINE) - 04/03/06 11:32

Mmmm, it should work, especially if it works with Skype and msn and stuff ... Have you've tried to reinstall the software if you had a cd with it, or maybe just remove/undo it's installation, it's probably a USB headset?

Cheers

Re: Voice Chat Server (ONLINE) - 04/03/06 12:54

The problem now resolved?

A lot of people are forgetting that they have 2 mic levels in control panel, playback and recording, and are only setting their playback volume. Make sure your mic record level is set high enough.

The voice server is already proving popular and we hope more of you will start using it.

You do not need a mic and headset to join, as it also provides chat messaging.

Voice Chat Server (ONLINE) - 04/06/06 19:48

Our Teamspeak server has now been up for just over a week, and already we have a couple of regular visitors, who have been dropping by most mornings.

Already some very interesting conversations, discussions about projects and much, much more. Overall we think its been very succesful and is growing in popularity daily.

Would be nice to see some other regular faces from the forums popping in, maybe even some people from CONITEC?

Thanks to everyone who has offered their support, special thanks to Michael_Schwarz & Thunder who have been keeping us entertained, $1m for a P1 100mhz anyone?
Posted By: ulf

Re: Voice Chat Server (ONLINE) - 04/06/06 20:07

this is a very cool project, i think ill visit you tomorrow if i have time. what about an irc channel too? maybe in quakenet? that seems to be very helpful for torque. iam in #gamestudio at quakenet whenever iam online.

Re: Voice Chat Server (ONLINE) - 04/06/06 20:52

Quote:

Thanks to everyone who has offered their support, special thanks to Michael_Schwarz & Thunder who have been keeping us entertained, $1m for a P1 100mhz anyone?

Thanks, but actually it was 200MHz, not 100

Re: Voice Chat Server (ONLINE) - 04/07/06 09:01

Well a 200Mhz P1 is worth a lot more than $1m....its a bargain!

Teamspeak also supports text chat, but some kind of iRC might be worth setting up too, I will look into it.

Maybe will speak to you later ulf!

Re: Voice Chat Server (ONLINE) - 04/21/06 20:33

*Bump* to get more people to this.

Re: Voice Chat Server (ONLINE) - 04/22/06 01:36

Yes, we need more people on it.

Re: Voice Chat Server (ONLINE) - 04/25/06 21:40

I think it will take a while for people to catch on to just how useful and proactive this service is.

Personally I would like to see the likes of Ello, Ventilator, Matt_Aufderheide to name just a few expert types from the hallowed walls of this forum giving it a go, why not drop by anonomously, and please bear in mind that the service is still very new to this community, so at present its not always busy, for all we know, maybe they already dropped by.

As I have said before, for this service to fullfill its potential people will have to excercise a little patience and hang about for a few hours.

The other night Hellcrypt stopped by and a really interesting discussion about the latest video showcase of sony's PS3 physics went on for several hours, not to mention the laughs had by all.

We are still working on a front end for the server to show who is online at the time, and hopefully this will be realised very soon. Maybe even conitec will link up to it as a new resource for developers.

I can't say this enough, as I feel some people still think that there is some catch, or that indiglow is trying to muscle in on the community, and only time will change this belief, im sure those who have stopped by already can say, this is not the case.

indiglow has it's own channel within the Teamspeak server, where we conduct our own business, and the rest of the server is for public use. You can chat with the people there, or go into /create a private channel for your own team's use, for no charge, or hidden costs.

So give it time guys, I am sure that as more of you venture onto our server, it will grow and maybe even become a cornerstone in the A6 developers weaponary.

Already several projects, including some of our own, have benefited from this open forum for relaxed and informal discussion.

Bump Bump

Re: Voice Chat Server (ONLINE) - 04/25/06 21:45

Maybe we should set up times on when everyone can meet? Last time there was about 7 of us right?

Something to match with the German, US, and everything else in between time zones.

Re: Voice Chat Server (ONLINE) - 05/10/06 11:12

So I have been a little busy with the site the last few weeks, we had to do some updates that took a little while. We are much closer to having a preview portal of the TS server in place, to allow people to check if anyone is on the server, before joining, still this is most likely not going to be live until later this month, maybe early next.

In the meantime I thought it was worth raising the question to the general community about what day & time of the week a regular session would suit most people.

My guess is that the weekend is the best time for most people, possibly on sundays?

Please offer your thoughts on this. TIA
Posted By: pati

Re: Voice Chat Server - 05/30/06 20:04

speak someone german here

Re: Voice Chat Server - 05/30/06 20:11

Yeah I do.

Warum fragst du?

Re: Voice Chat Server (ONLINE) - 06/05/06 09:00

Quote:

In the meantime I thought it was worth raising the question to the general community about what day & time of the week a regular session would suit most people.

My guess is that the weekend is the best time for most people, possibly on sundays?

Please offer your thoughts on this.

While weekend is the best I also log into TS during the week either around 15:00 (GMT+0) or in the evening around 18:00 (GMT+0).

On the weekend I also take a glance at it in the morning.
around 10:00 (GMT+0) or in the afternoon, evening. (see above)

However I shortly noticed the amount of data send from the server to my computer letting our bill rise pretty high (volume limited account, free to 2GB or something)

So I'll just step in a few times while being at the computer to take a look if somebody is on.

However if we could establish "fixed" times it would be way better

So anyone else?

Re: Voice Chat Server (ONLINE) - 06/05/06 10:48

Quote:

However I shortly noticed the amount of data send from the server to my computer letting our bill rise pretty high (volume limited account, free to 2GB or something)

Yes using the TS server is like listening to MP3's when ever their is voice transfer, so if you are charged by usage and your limit is very low, you do need to consider this. However according to the server log there has not been a huge amount of audio traffic, and I suspect not enough to cause a significant spike in your usage.

Just to avoid any major concerns about this, the codec running in most of our channels is 16.4kbits per second, this gives good enough quality while keeping the bandwidth low.

I have noticed people hanging around in the AFK channel which I have now set to the highest compression giving 3.4Kbit as that is not a chat channel, so voice quality is not important.

This will reduce bandwidth further. Of course its also worth pointing out that TeamSpeak is a game chat program, and is designed to use as little bandwidth as needed, so it really shouldn't be creating spiked usage, and certainly not several GB, so you might want to look into that more Thunder. Visit http://www.goteamspeak.com for more information.

Quote:

So anyone else?

As you know I will be in TS most days, usually around 12:00GMT, although this last couple of weeks I have been away from my home office and down at the studios, so have not had time to be on much. Im back now, so should be back to usual

Re: Voice Chat Server (ONLINE) - 06/05/06 13:27

After speaking with Thunder via PM it appears he was looking at the wrong stats.

However its worth exploring the bandwidth: An average person exchanging about 40bytes per second in a chat channel, about 5Mb an hour.(approx 2.5Mb of your upload bandwidth)

If you clocked up 8 hours a day for a month you would use 0.5Gb of your bandwidth. I doubt your connected that much....are you?

Hope that clears things up

Re: Voice Chat Server (ONLINE) - 06/05/06 13:58

Well in the holidays I sometimes spend the "entire" day on TS

However the issue is cleared.
Thanks Luke

Re: Voice Chat Server (OFFLINE) - 09/25/06 12:56

indiglow.co.uk has now closed this Voice Chat Server.

We would like to thank those of the A6 community who dropped into our TS server and hope that those of you who visited it since its launch in March 2006 found it useful and beneficial with communication for your projects.

We will be re-launching a new Teamspeak server later this year but at present we are not sure if this will be made available to the A6 community as we are now engaged in some commercial projects outside of this group and our resources and support will be tied up with other things.

For more information visit our website.
© 2024 lite-C Forums