Free New WED Manual!

Posted By: Dan Silverman

Free New WED Manual! - 05/26/06 22:07

Hello all!

As promised in my thread about the new book I am authoring about GameStudio, the section on WED will be released for free and released this week. Here is the cover:

The manual is in PDF format, so you will need the free Adobe Acrobat reader to read and print the file.

Vertually every aspect of WED is covered in this 69 page manual and many topics have graphics and screen shots to help explain the concepts. Here is the link to download the ZIP file that contains the PDF file:

http://www.m3dd.com/3dgs/WedManual.zip

This is an initial release and there may be errors. If you find any please report them to me by sending me an email to the following email address:

contact@master3ddesign.com

There was one thing that I did not have an explanation for and perhaps one of you could help me out. When you go to the file menu and click on PREFERENCES and go to the ADVANCED tab you will see a check box for Sky Cube. What exactly does that check box enable/disable? Obviously it deals with a sky cube, but in what manner? Does it enable WED to display a sky cube in the 3D view if it is defined in an attached script?

Well, what are you waiting for? Go and get it and let me know what you think (if you don't mind).
Posted By: xXxGuitar511

Re: Free New WED Manual! - 05/26/06 23:36

I just downloaded... goin' to check it out now...

Thankz man!

I'll get back in a lil' while.

NEW: I finally understand the nexus! lol...
Posted By: Christoph_B

Re: Free New WED Manual! - 05/27/06 09:56

the sky box check box enables the 3d view in wed to display sky boxes, that were built by using a hollow cube with a "+6" texture.
Posted By: frazzle

Re: Free New WED Manual! - 05/27/06 11:20

You're a great help when it comes
to writing manuals about the 3DGS Dan Silverman !!!!

Thxn again

Frazzle
Posted By: BlueBeast

Re: Free New WED Manual! - 06/02/06 04:07

Good job there Dan, New users, and even some seasoned veterans should appreciate the availability of this!

I can't read the whole thing at the moment, but i'll add more posts as I do...

For now, here's my suggestions...

page 13 - 15, even though some of the tabs are very short in description, I think there should be a screenshot for all the preferences tabs.

Even though I know them when I see them, I got lost reading because I couldnt remember what those screens looked like. I would just say that the more pretty pictures, the better, and that will likely be my thoughts throughout the manual since everyone loves pictures, and different levels of understanding/learning may benefit.

Continuity would be preserved as well

Jason
Posted By: fastlane69

Re: Free New WED Manual! - 06/06/06 23:10

Amazing!

It's a shame that you are giving it out for free... truthfully, conitec should pay you for something like this.

Great Job Dan!

Re: Free New WED Manual! - 06/07/06 02:20

Quote:

Amazing!

Thank you very much!

Quote:

It's a shame that you are giving it out for free

Naw. The GameStudio community needs this, I think. And, truthfully, this may help to promote my GameStudio book. However, I am a bit concerned because hardly anyone has commented on the manual, so I don't really know if it is as useful as I thought it would be .

Quote:

truthfully, conitec should pay you for something like this.

Hehehe ... To tap into the vast account of Conitec and reap untold millions! Hahahahahahahahaha

Actually, no. Conitec, via the things I produce using GameStudio, has helped me support my family for about 6 pr 7 years now. It is not a problem to return something to them and the community.
Posted By: FeiHongJr

Re: Free New WED Manual! - 06/07/06 04:21

Hey dan sorry i havent had a chance to comment been real busy. I have briefly read over the rough draft that u sent me in the email. I thought it was excellent from what I did read.

Only thing I suggest if you hadnt done it allready is at the beggining when you talk about adding scripts you dont mention all the new options it gives you... I mean the car project shooter project ect.... I know its not about scripting but at least give a basic description.... Tho i suppose its pretty obvious but since its suppose to be for begginers.It might be worth at least mentioning....

Other then that great job.... I wish you alot of luck with your book...
Take Care
Posted By: JetpackMonkey

Re: Free New WED Manual! - 06/07/06 05:40

Wow, this was sorely needed.. that's brilliant, Dan, thank you.
Posted By: TheStonerunner

Re: Free New WED Manual! - 06/07/06 09:29

Dan,

Thank you for your excellent WED manual. I'll definitely be buying the full book when you release it.

I'm a game programming student, and could really use some advice on breaking through that "dream state" of making video games/3D apps and doing it for a living. Any tips?

A fellow Dan
Posted By: beegee

Re: Free New WED Manual! - 06/07/06 09:34

thank you for the great wed manual! it helped me a lot!

mfg beegee

--------
GenuineMotors.de
Posted By: IslandDreamer

Re: Free New WED Manual! - 06/07/06 11:00

Nice job, Dan. Can't wait to buy the book.
Posted By: raymich

Re: Free New WED Manual! - 06/07/06 18:15

this is very respectful job you did, i always gather any tiniest useful tutorials, manuals or guides for 3DGS and this project goes into my folder too (:

5 stars
Posted By: AdrianX

Re: Free New WED Manual! - 06/08/06 02:06

..oh,so the full version of this book will not be for free?
..anyway,your book is one of the most complete (even though it's not,for now)and informative manual in the 3DGs community,because you have covered almost all the basics of level editing; so i think in the latest chapters you should add tips and tricks on creating more advanced and specific levels/level objects. (ex. RPG themed, Futuristic, etc.)
..keep up the good work!
Posted By: yung

Re: Free New WED Manual! - 06/10/06 19:28

This is a very generous giveaway. I do have a suggestion though, (I havent read the manual yet however.) WED is meant to create levels with blocks, but many users, myself at least, also make levels using MDLs as environments.Perhaps you can cover this, for those who dont know how. I guess this is very code- dependant, so couldnt be completely covered in the WED manual, but the book should at least give some basics on how this can be achieved: using imported models and poly-level collision. LOL.

Re: Free New WED Manual! - 06/10/06 20:04

Yung,

Thank you for your comments, however, please realize that this PDF file is exactly what it says it is ... a MANUAL for WED. In other words, it covers the application WED and nothing more. There is no information on level design or anything like that. The complete book that I am writing, on the other hand, will cover various level design techniques.
Posted By: PHeMoX

Re: Free New WED Manual! - 06/11/06 11:04

I really appreciated the free manual, so thanks! However I knew most of it already, but then again I might not really have been part of your targeted audience, still I didn't know everything off course...

I just wondered though, could you also post like 1,2 or 3 pages of your book in progress on level design as a preview on what to expect? I'd like to know how you approach the design topic and I wonder if it would be something for me too to consider buying lateron when it's finished.

Cheers
Posted By: ventilator

Re: Free New WED Manual! - 06/12/06 08:27

i took a quick look at it and my criticism is (since you asked for more comments) that there is too much unnecessary prose. i like manuals with a more concise writing style. i think i am not really part of the target group though.
Posted By: Marcio Esper

Re: Free New WED Manual! - 06/13/06 05:14

Hi,

Good work

I vote you 5 stars !

Best regards,

Marcio
Posted By: tindust

Re: Free New WED Manual! - 07/01/06 14:10

Great Work!

Very needed.

Thank You!
Posted By: Nadester

Re: Free New WED Manual! - 07/02/06 02:47

Excellent work, as usual Dan. I'll have to sort through it a bit, but I'll try to give you better feedback when I finish work.

Thanks you!

Edit: Just saw the post date, shame I hadn't seen this thread before.
Posted By: Lion_Ts

Re: Free New WED Manual! - 07/05/06 01:15

Just downloaded.
Thank You, Dan Silverman for your "...return something to them and the community."
Really helpful.
Posted By: sPlKe

Re: Free New WED Manual! - 07/05/06 10:34

as long time WED user, i am downloading this, sicne one can never learn enough^^
and i amsure this one helps so many people^^
thank you dan..
very much apreciated
Posted By: Chansang

Re: Free New WED Manual! - 07/05/06 11:10

thanks for the manuel
Posted By: JazzDude

Re: Free New WED Manual! - 07/07/06 16:44

A generous and excellent contribution. Thank you, Dan!!!
Posted By: Yu_Une

Re: Free New WED Manual! - 07/10/06 06:11

downloading right now, I'll probably give comments if any tomorrow . But thank you in advance for contributing this .

I've read through about a fourth of it thus far I've learned some new things which I never knew before, the syntax seems good I my self am looking forward to buying your book . The WED manual your wrote has some humor in it, I'll let you know more as I read through it more
Posted By: D3D

Re: Free New WED Manual! - 09/06/06 05:38

Hi Dan,

I have a few of your magazines and was thinking about how your book is comming. Are you still working on it?!

All the best,

Dusty
Posted By: lionclaws

Re: Free New WED Manual! - 12/02/06 08:17

Quote:

Hello all!

As promised in my thread about the new book I am authoring about GameStudio, the section on WED will be released for free and released this week. Here is the cover:

The manual is in PDF format, so you will need the free Adobe Acrobat reader to read and print the file.

Vertually every aspect of WED is covered in this 69 page manual and many topics have graphics and screen shots to help explain the concepts. Here is the link to download the ZIP file that contains the PDF file:

This is an initial release and there may be errors. If you find any please report them to me by sending me an email to the following email address:

There was one thing that I did not have an explanation for and perhaps one of you could help me out. When you go to the file menu and click on PREFERENCES and go to the ADVANCED tab you will see a check box for Sky Cube. What exactly does that check box enable/disable? Obviously it deals with a sky cube, but in what manner? Does it enable WED to display a sky cube in the 3D view if it is defined in an attached script?

Well, what are you waiting for? Go and get it and let me know what you think (if you don't mind).

WOW Man...Sorry Dan for not commenting all these past months...just too busy with work and other stuff.I downloaded WEDManual....it's Excellent and looking forward to the final Book.I always appreciate your work plus learn alot.Thank you very much for all you excellent contributions.As always...wish you the best.
Posted By: Galen

Re: Free New WED Manual! - 12/02/06 18:27

Quote:

Quote:

Hello all!

WOW Man...Sorry Dan for not commenting all these past months...just too busy with work and other stuff.I downloaded WEDManual....it's Excellent and looking forward to the final Book.I always appreciate your work plus learn alot.Thank you very much for all you excellent contributions.As always...wish you the best.

Ditto. I never even saw this post until now. I too just checked out the WED manual PDF, and based on what I see there, I very much want to see the rest of the book (and will gladly shell out $$ for it). Good work Dan!
© 2024 lite-C Forums