Rebel Planet Trailer #2

Posted By: Peter Churness

Rebel Planet Trailer #2 - 04/13/05 14:15

I can't believe its been a whole year since I posted our first trailer. This year has seen some major improvments graphically I think and we continue to inch our way forward toward a completed game. We'll release a demo for the community here in June. For now, here's a new trailer for you to check out...

Feedback positive and negative is welcome.

Peter

Rebel Planet - Orion Trailer #2 (April 2005)
Posted By: bredebrothers

Re: Rebel Planet Trailer #2 - 04/13/05 14:27

Hello this looks very professinal also the music fits perfectly for the trailer, the only thing is that the particles while fighting with the sword are not looking so good!
Posted By: Machinery_Frank

Re: Rebel Planet Trailer #2 - 04/13/05 14:28

How many people and how long have you been working on that project?

That looks really great. You have very good art, nice environments and good animations. You have everything to create a first class game.

Congratulations!
Posted By: Michael_Schwarz

Re: Rebel Planet Trailer #2 - 04/13/05 14:28

Just one word: WOW.

It looks amazingly, allthough the combat camera and "jumping" looks a bit weird.
Hope youll fix that foe the demo in June, cant wait for it!

regards
Mike
Posted By: FBL

Re: Rebel Planet Trailer #2 - 04/13/05 14:49

One of the best games I've seen here.

You have everything a game must have.
Armors and weapons, battles, action parts, intense dialogues, hopefully a deep story line and impressive graphics.

Do you also have some screenshots to share?
Posted By: capanno

Re: Rebel Planet Trailer #2 - 04/13/05 14:59

Fantastic!!!

Gotta agree the jumping doesnt look that great but its awesome all-round!

Re: Rebel Planet Trailer #2 - 04/13/05 15:01

Quote:

How many people and how long have you been working on that project?

I certainly need to give credit to many people from whom I've gleaned from (with their permission of course) over the last two years of development and who have helped out in other ways as well. Special recognition goes to Bernd Schaumburg (www.twinbits.de) for some great buildings and models, Zenith (aka Blattsalat) and Rhuarc. I could list many others of course...

Thanks guys...I could not have done this without you!

Peter
Posted By: zohar

Re: Rebel Planet Trailer #2 - 04/13/05 15:10

Hi Peter

the trailer looks amazing and very intrigue . few points :

1) level design - brilliant , cool atmosphere .
2) music - nice celtic music be performed very well -however to make it more pro you have to sync between the events on the movie and the music flavor (which mean change the rhythm and instruments on a battle etc ..)
3) camera on the trailer looks good most of the time .
4) effects - some have a lot of glamour like the sun and the fire at the start looks good too . you may want to do somthing with the explosions , too many of them at the same time and you can see it as field of repeating pattern . maybe make them more transparent or to have few kind of explosions .
5) inventory - looks easy to handle .
6) models - most looks very very pro .
7) gameplay - never play on it so its hard to tell , but i would be happy

charming work
Posted By: nightshade

Re: Rebel Planet Trailer #2 - 04/13/05 15:58

Wow, looks very very very coool!!!

Edit : I hate at some poeple something, i dont know, but at your trailer 1 there stands that it comes 2005 or so..
Posted By: Sjoerd

Re: Rebel Planet Trailer #2 - 04/13/05 16:00

Wow, very nice. Only thing you definitely have to change is the camera, but that was mentioned before. Other than that it look very professional. Unfortunately the video is lowres. I would love to see a higher resolution video or some screenshots.

Greetz, Sjoerd
Posted By: Rhuarc

Re: Rebel Planet Trailer #2 - 04/13/05 16:03

Quote:

I certainly need to give credit to many people from whom I've gleaned from (with their permission of course) over the last two years of development and who have helped out in other ways as well. Special recognition goes to Bernd Schaumburg (www.twinbits.de) for some great buildings and models, Zenith (aka Blattsalat) and Rhuarc. I could list many others of course...

*blush* . Downloading now, it's good to see this project keep moving. The game looks great, I had some good fun throwing chairs and tables around with the fireball . Looking forward to seeing a demo go public

-Rhuarc
Posted By: bs_twinbits

Re: Rebel Planet Trailer #2 - 04/13/05 16:09

Hi Peter....
what you have done and showing in your new trailer is so amazing that I lose my words. WOOW , it's real great ! Many thanks for the flowers you give to me in your thread ! I hope that your game will get the honor it's deserve. Only people who have done such work like we do knews to honor this. I wish you all the best for your work.
Bernd
twinbits entertainment
Posted By: xoNoid

Re: Rebel Planet Trailer #2 - 04/13/05 16:17

Wow absolutly amazing . The dinosaures are soo cool as well . I would also like to see a higher rez movie as its quite hard to judge the graphical quality from such a small picture. Yes the jumping could be smoother but it's not terrable. Do you have any more info on this? Whats the story about or how much your going to sell it for
Posted By: WHURL

Re: Rebel Planet Trailer #2 - 04/13/05 16:22

The time that's been put into this project certainly shows. Well done.

I'd also like to see a higner resolution version of the video, if possible.

Re: Rebel Planet Trailer #2 - 04/13/05 19:54

Thanks for all the great words of encouragement. And thanks also for the critical eye - yes, the jumping isn't the best and still haven't figured out how best to do melee combat without the camera moving so much. I'll work on it.

I'm also rendering a high res version now. I'll upload it shortly...

Also, I just recently took many many up to date screenshots. I'll post some of the better ones soon as well...
Posted By: Orange Brat

Re: Rebel Planet Trailer #2 - 04/13/05 20:07

Looks good and I love the music. I also love that cool jerky cam during combat and jumping. It's the exact same effect that modern filmmakers use during similar scenes, these days(like in Gladiator). It can sometimes lead to obscured views in movies, but I like it here. As long as it doesn't impede gameplay, I think it's a cool and I'll even say innovative given I've never seen it used during actual gameplay.
Posted By: Roger

Re: Rebel Planet Trailer #2 - 04/13/05 21:25

it looks nice and lots of work here.
congrats.

Re: Rebel Planet Trailer #2 - 04/13/05 21:56

I just uploaded a higher res version. It's the same link (I just overwrote the previous file).

Thanks again for all the comments.
Posted By: fastlane69

Re: Rebel Planet Trailer #2 - 04/13/05 22:16

Awesome! Awesome! Awesome!
Great work and production values.
Smooth all around.

Seems to me Minnesota is becoming the de-facto capitol of 3DGS greatness!!!!
Posted By: WizRealm

Re: Rebel Planet Trailer #2 - 04/13/05 22:36

Amazing, great work.
Posted By: William

Re: Rebel Planet Trailer #2 - 04/14/05 02:03

Looks good, love the rain! If the game doesn't include a ton of fighting, then keep the shifting camera. Otherwise change it as it can make a person dizzy after a while. From what I can see in the video, the only thing I would change is the explosion type effect. It looks a bit un-proffesional and ackward(the big orange flash). Otherwise, it reminds me of Morrowind and Gothic 2 - keep it up!
Posted By: ello

Re: Rebel Planet Trailer #2 - 04/14/05 06:49

wow, this definately belongs here. looks amazing. very nice models / animations and scenery. a descent work
Posted By: Drittz_Dourden

Re: Rebel Planet Trailer #2 - 04/14/05 07:00

very nice work peter, i like the dinosaur's . I watched the video twice and was truly impressed. Can't wait to play it .

There was only one thing i saw off the bat that bothered me though , figured i would mention it . During one of the battle scene's Where the fireball's/explosion's are going off. I didn't really think the explosion's looked that good. They kinda seamed out of place with everything. (i.e. the graphical look of terrian/models/sprites) the explosion's seamed kinda out of place. A good exposion similiar to the one's scene in the glider screenshot in the contest page would look really good and match the color / contrast of the whole map...in general it would look more real. Other than that i really really really liked this video. Keep up the good work

Daniel

p.s. what did you use to create your landscape if you don't mind me asking

Re: Rebel Planet Trailer #2 - 04/14/05 11:56

Quote:

...I watched the video twice and was truly impressed. Can't wait to play it...

I watched that even more. I saved the video to my hard disc. I like it very much. The animations are superb. How did you do that? The details in the forest are great and the buildings are so detailed. Very nice.

My only critic point: One of the building stands on very small columns. They are too small and a real building would crash.

Re: Rebel Planet Trailer #2 - 04/14/05 12:49

Quote:

p.s. what did you use to create your landscape if you don't mind me asking

I just used Photoshop to make a heightmap and skin and then just brought into MED. Terrain shader is a variation of Steempipes to whom all of 3DGS is now indebted...

And yes, I see what you mean about the explosions. It's actually not even a part of the game till the very end. I just like explosions and had to keep a few in there

Re: Rebel Planet Trailer #2 - 04/14/05 12:57

Quote:

The animations are superb. How did you do that?

I have to admit, I had my main character professionally done. And I'm not going to tell you what he cost me . I think he's worth it though...

Quote:

My only critic point: One of the building stands on very small columns. They are too small and a real building would crash.

Which one? Probably one that I did myself. I'm a programmer who thinks he can make levels sometimes but in reality I'm not very good at it
Posted By: Realspawn

Re: Rebel Planet Trailer #2 - 04/14/05 14:29

Wow absolutly stunning great work and a good example of the power of 3DGS.
Posted By: Loopix

Re: Rebel Planet Trailer #2 - 04/14/05 14:30

Great work!
I love this kind of atmospheric games. Like others said: The charakter is awesome! It's got a very sympathetic look (I like the jumping too!). I was thinking of some things that could be improoved:
Better grass-sprite(are you using an alpha tga-sprite?)
Tweaking some more on the watershader.
Using one ore two more tree-models.

Hurry, I want to buy that game!!!

My try:

screens

Re: Rebel Planet Trailer #2 - 04/14/05 18:29

Hey Loopix, I just your discovered your site last week. You have AWESOME water. I like your waterfall too. If you can help me get my water looking as good as yours, I'll be your best friend!

Does the water on your site only work for ver 2.0 cards or better? The card I used for making the video only supports 1.1 shaders.
Posted By: Sebe

Re: Rebel Planet Trailer #2 - 04/14/05 18:38

It works with ps 1.1 (not absolutely sure, but 2.0 isn't necessary), and you can find it free for download on his website, including a how-to-include.

btw, I use loopix' water too, and I'm very happy with it - thank you very much, loopix
Posted By: Nadester

Re: Rebel Planet Trailer #2 - 04/14/05 19:27

Stunning work Peter- great mood, there's a great sense of depth to your world, and combat looks great. All-around awesome job!
Posted By: Jupp

Re: Rebel Planet Trailer #2 - 04/14/05 20:13

Really great Work. The modell of the main charackter is awsome! Really nice game! Keep up the good work and perhaps use the watershader of Loopix.

Jupp
Posted By: SlyBoots

Re: Rebel Planet Trailer #2 - 04/14/05 21:08

Well here's what I thought.

+ The scenery was pretty cool.
+ It's a pretty game, at least 2001 to early 2003 quality graphics.
+ Good animations.
+ A lot better than the first trailer.
+ Nice models, and the dinosaurs looked pretty cool.
- The jumping looks very awkward.
- I'm not sure if it was the camera or not, but the swaying camera when fighting didn't look to good.

Also, is the music in the trailer original? If not it doesn't matter, just curious. Good job so far.
Posted By: Towelie

Re: Rebel Planet Trailer #2 - 04/14/05 21:12

<GASP> Very cool.... dinosaur doesnt fit in though, but still a very very cool looking feature. Jump animations look a bit strange, and the camera while fighting is way too active. Other than that, looks good.
Posted By: Dan Silverman

Re: Rebel Planet Trailer #2 - 04/14/05 21:38

Quote:

...dinosaur doesnt fit in though...

If you understand the context and timeframe of the game then you would see that dinorsaurs fit in perfectly with this game .

Re: Rebel Planet Trailer #2 - 04/14/05 21:43

Not steriotypically... I read about the game and I know what its all about. Steriotypically, they belong with cavemen haha

Re: Rebel Planet Trailer #2 - 04/14/05 22:09

It's a fantasy game after all

As to the jumping... I think it looked ok... have you ever seen a character jump in Dark Age of Camelot?
Posted By: Dan Silverman

Re: Rebel Planet Trailer #2 - 04/14/05 22:56

Quote:

Not steriotypically... I read about the game and I know what its all about. Steriotypically, they belong with cavemen haha

Actually, no. If you hold to evolution, then dinos died out long before cavemen. If you take a biblical account (which is what this game is (loosely) based on, then dnos and man co-existed prior to the fload. So, the context of the game makes the dinosaurs fit in perfectly.

Re: Rebel Planet Trailer #2 - 04/14/05 23:44

Steriotypically...
Posted By: Rilagn

Re: Rebel Planet Trailer #2 - 04/15/05 02:33

Its awsome the music and models are great, this looks like it would be a ps2 game to me, I give it two thumbs up, great job.

Re: Rebel Planet Trailer #2 - 04/15/05 07:44

Quote:

I'm a programmer who thinks he can make levels sometimes but in reality I'm not very good at it

You are joking. Yes, loopix is right with including a few more trees and anohter shader but nevertheless you created a unique world.

Concerning the building / house: There is a view from that marketplace from a building with columns / pillars to the big pyramid looking building. I mean that smaller ones with these surrounding pillars. The pillars are too thin at the bottom. My brother is civil ingeneer and remarked that at the first glance. I would not notice that by myself.

By the way: I like your detailed buildings very much. Did you do these with blocks or with models. And how big is your terrain? Do you create different levels or one huge level?

I hope that you do not feel troubled by my questions

Re: Rebel Planet Trailer #2 - 04/15/05 12:04

Quote:

By the way: I like your detailed buildings very much. Did you do these with blocks or with models. And how big is your terrain? Do you create different levels or one huge level?

Most of the better looking buildings and levels were done by others. Bernd from Twin Bits did many of the stand-alone structures. Yes, they are blocks. And he did a suberb job texturing them as well. The pillared level with the flags was also done for me by someone else (Miguel). I pieced it all together, but many others get the credit for the actual level building.

As for the levels themselves, yes they are different levels pieced together. However, I've tried to make it as seemless as possible and to at least give the illusion of one big world. For example, I've implemented a kind of LOD for actor ai. NPC's will move from one level to another just like the player and the ai will keep track of where they should appear in the level as they're walking or running from one location to another. It's pretty cool I think, and when I eventually release a demo to the community I'll likely release my code as well (unless I get a publisher who tells me not to).

The terrain is only 32x32 for individual "sub-levels". However, the entire first level of the game has about 9 of these outdoor "sub-levels". Not all the game levels will be this big though.

Re: Rebel Planet Trailer #2 - 04/15/05 12:54

Thank you very much for the answer. That is very kind of you.

I showed the video to a few friends and we were all speechless about the detail. We did not know that you can use so many animated people in an outdoor world like yours with dynamich ligting a.s.o. in 3DGS.

Your idea with level changing and NPC handling sounds very good. That must be a lot of work.

Sorry, but I did not completely understand the last sentence from you. Do you mean that you stick 32 hmp's together and use 9 of these in a complete level or do you mean that a terrain has 32 divisions?

Frank

Re: Rebel Planet Trailer #2 - 04/15/05 13:50

Quote:

Sorry, but I did not completely understand the last sentence from you. Do you mean that you stick 32 hmp's together and use 9 of these in a complete level or do you mean that a terrain has 32 divisions?

Sorry. No, I mean that as far as gameplay is concerned, for what I'm considering the first of the games seven levels, it has 9 hmp's total. Each hmp is 32x32 squares/triangles, and each gets loaded in as a separate "sub-level" (i.e. through level_load() function)

For example, here is one of the 9 hmp's that make up the first "level":

However, the cool thing with the ai is that if an enemy is chasing you and you leave one sub-level and enter the next, the enemy will follow you into the next sub-level. Also, if an NPC exits a sub-level heading for some desination either in that sub-level or through it to the next, and your player follows him in, the npc will appear exactly where you would expect him to given the time you've given him to be walking across the next level.

Re: Rebel Planet Trailer #2 - 04/15/05 14:26

That sounds very exciting. I am really looking forward to see that in action.
Posted By: JimFox

Re: Rebel Planet Trailer #2 - 04/15/05 16:54

Hi Peter,
Congratulations on a big milestone. I am sure that you are encouraged by the positive feedback.

Why did you not simply use one 96X96 terrain? I assume that was because it helped the FPS. How much difference did it make?
Regards,

Re: Rebel Planet Trailer #2 - 04/15/05 17:32

Quote:

Hi Peter,
Congratulations on a big milestone. I am sure that you are encouraged by the positive feedback.

Why did you not simply use one 96X96 terrain? I assume that was because it helped the FPS. How much difference did it make?
Regards,

Thanks Jim. Yes, its a framerate issue. Plus everything is just more managable in smaller chunks (fewer pathfinding nodes, fewer entites, etc). However, if there ever is a Game #2 I want to work on making the whole world seamless with dynamic loading of everything. But one thing at a time ...
Posted By: DocJoe

Re: Rebel Planet Trailer #2 - 04/15/05 19:09

I thought it was at least two years ago I saw a trailer from your game. It's absolute phantastic, great athmosphere, bombastic! Congratulation!
Posted By: NITRO777

Re: Rebel Planet Trailer #2 - 04/15/05 22:36

Phenomenal! Excellent!
Posted By: WHURL

Re: Rebel Planet Trailer #2 - 04/16/05 06:50

Peter, thanks for uploading the higher resolution version of the trailer. I finally got round to viewing it today and was impressed (again) by how all the elements of your game are coming together.

For me, it's the attention to detail that helps create such an immersive atmosphere. The 'little things' like the birds in the opening scene, the lighting in the underground scene, the trees/vegetation and their placement, the slow ambling of the dinosaurs and even the gentle waving flags in the rain subtley draw you in and provide an excellent 'soft' contrast to the action in the game.

I realize there are several things you'll be improving along the way but it's already taking on a professional feel.

I'm looking forward to seeing where you take it from here. Well done.
Posted By: Neuro

Re: Rebel Planet Trailer #2 - 04/17/05 04:31

holy freakin sh....
Posted By: Nems

Re: Rebel Planet Trailer #2 - 04/17/05 05:55

Looking good I tell ya !
Posted By: JediBry

Re: Rebel Planet Trailer #2 - 04/17/05 19:27

Hey remember me? i was gonna help with your game about a year ago by making 3d models but i never did, even if i did they wouldnt be that good.. anyway the game is looking alot better from what i remember good job!

-Brian
Posted By: Tom_Williams

Re: Rebel Planet Trailer #2 - 04/18/05 02:32

Very nice. . . hmm, mouth animation ;-)

Gah, new account...... >.<
Posted By: Joey

Re: Rebel Planet Trailer #2 - 04/18/05 17:21

amazing.. yes, good to know your project is for future!

Re: Rebel Planet Trailer #2 - 04/18/05 23:29

Thanks Joey.

FYI: Joey did our logo - did a great job! He's working on a sales sheet for us now (i.e. a quick ad for the game to take to show to potential publishers). Perhaps when its all done and we finalize it we can post a shot of it here.
Posted By: jarrod1937

Re: Rebel Planet Trailer #2 - 04/20/05 22:17

all i have to say is wow!!!
to be as critical as possible here are a few pointers.
1. dear god, please fix the combat comera.... it was making me sick just watching the video.
2. a few of the sky textures were a little... blurry, not detailed enough.
3. and finally how did you make tyhe grass in the video? did you simply just make a mesh and use an texture with a clear alpha channel? wouldn't that cause an fps drop?

other than those very nit-picky suggestions, i would just like to say great job.
also, how long did it take you to make the game and how many people were making it (please excuse me if this has already been asked beofre).
Posted By: Ran Man

Re: Rebel Planet Trailer #2 - 04/21/05 04:50

The camera looked a bit shakey when they were fighting, but overall it was good.
Hey Yeah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Re: Rebel Planet Trailer #2 - 04/21/05 06:31

Quote:

...also, how long did it take you to make the game and how many people were making it (please excuse me if this has already been asked beofre).

Yes, I asked that before. And Peter answered that with:

Quote:

Peter

Posted By: Blitzblaster1

Re: Rebel Planet Trailer #2 - 04/25/05 20:24

Hi Peter !

The Game looks great. The best what i see right now from the A6 Engine
here in this Forum. The Soundtrack remember me a bit from the Theme Braveheart.

Regards,
Blitzblaster1

Re: Rebel Planet Trailer #2 - 04/27/05 12:59

Thanks Blitzblaster.

Actually, someone else in an earlier post asked me if our music was original or not and I never responded so I'll do so now: Yes, the theme for the video was composed just for the game. I had asked for something epic sounding and at first didn't think it was strong enough. But I like it more and more every time I listen to it. He did a great job! I'll release his name after he's done doing music for me (I know I know... very selfish of me... )
Posted By: Locoweed

Re: Rebel Planet Trailer #2 - 04/28/05 02:02

Very impressive. Thats all I have to say.
Posted By: ShoreVietam

Re: Rebel Planet Trailer #2 - 05/04/05 13:37

Holy Fork!

Is this the best 3DGS Game ever!?

It simply must be! I'm speechless...
Posted By: Efrint

Re: Rebel Planet Trailer #2 - 05/06/05 10:16

yes...it´s one of the best games that are made with 3DGS i think. really, really impressive.
It´s like Morrowind or Gothic....I think.....
I can only repeat: very,very impressive
Posted By: fogman

Re: Rebel Planet Trailer #2 - 05/06/05 14:52

Can´t say anything. My mouth´s to damp. This is high-end.
Posted By: Inestical

Re: Rebel Planet Trailer #2 - 05/16/05 12:07

i'm wordless and stunned.. it reminds me fable (somehow) i'd be glad to have playable demo sometime. 9.9/10 < I haven't tested playability
Posted By: pocorev

Re: Rebel Planet Trailer #2 - 05/17/05 21:19

absolutely beautiful work! you guys have come a long ways with this project - congrats!!!
Posted By: zefor

Re: Rebel Planet Trailer #2 - 05/19/05 22:58

This was made with 3dgs? WOW, I for one, am very impressed.
Posted By: william_123

Re: Rebel Planet Trailer #2 - 05/20/05 08:28

Any demo download?

Re: Rebel Planet Trailer #2 - 05/20/05 13:16

No demo yet. Look for one in late June.

Re: Rebel Planet Trailer #2 - 05/20/05 19:51

aight iäll be waiting
Posted By: KoH

Re: Rebel Planet Trailer #2 - 06/10/05 08:55

WOW!!!

I'm looking forward to this game. When is it comeing out and how much will it cost?
Posted By: JediBry

Re: Rebel Planet Trailer #2 - 06/10/05 14:53

Nice work! if you don't remember me I used to post on the rebel planet forums.

The only thing I dont really like is the camera movement, somehow I think it follows his every move to closely, but maybe you made it like that so the player could look around the place and at far distances easier.

One more thing in the title where it says Rebel Planet game one: Orion, I thought maybe it would look better without the "Game one:" or maybe thats just me.
:-P

Great Job with the game and good luck with it.

- Brian
Posted By: PHeMoX

Re: Rebel Planet Trailer #2 - 06/10/05 15:21

Yeah, maybe you should leave this 'game one' notification out of the title... Maybe try something else like Rebel Planet series: Project Orion or just Rebel Planet: Orion or maybe something like Rebel Planet Series: Orion's Tale .... Don't know, but the 'game one' thing isn't awful, but it's more professional to not put something like that in it, or so I think ... I like the music of the trailer by the way, very relaxing ..

Cheers

Re: Rebel Planet Trailer #2 - 06/11/05 13:22

Thanks guys. Yes I think you're right about the "Game One" thing. Had been having similar thoughts myself.

Re: Rebel Planet Trailer #2 - 06/13/05 07:00

Rebel Planet I : Orions Tale sounds good in my ears, dunno whatu make up then..

there is the 'I' cause i think u make more than one part in this game serie?
Posted By: RJDL

Re: Rebel Planet Trailer #2 - 06/15/05 15:01

WOW, that really looks FANTASTIC
Posted By: jumpman

Re: Rebel Planet Trailer #2 - 06/15/05 16:39

Very Well Done!!!

I love the "triple A" at the end. Subliminal messaging? :P

Great Work!

Re: Rebel Planet Trailer #2 - 07/03/05 18:39

I've made some changes to the trailer for any who want to check out the latest version. You can do so here:
720x480
320x240

Also, should have a demo up in a few weeks... I hope...
Posted By: light_mystic

Re: Rebel Planet Trailer #2 - 07/03/05 18:48

YAY! Now everyone can see all the awesome job we are doing ! Woot! This Trailer is so beautiful in my opinion! Everyone enjoy! Take care !

Light_Mystic.

Re: Rebel Planet Trailer #2 - 07/03/05 18:55

That sent shivers down my spine lol. AMAZING job, definitly looking great! Emenies dont look varied enoug though, that one fight scene looked a bit boring how they all charged from ne side, all of them looking the same. I'd make em spread out a little more and make more, different looking enemies but similiar enough you can tell they are the same side.

Amazing job...
Posted By: light_mystic

Re: Rebel Planet Trailer #2 - 07/03/05 19:04

Keep up the compliments! Thank you! We appreciate them!

Re: Rebel Planet Trailer #2 - 07/03/05 20:42

What a beauty. You can create wonderful trailers.

And I am sure that it will be much better until 2006. By the way: I like it to see some of my models in the video. I am very happy to be a part of it.

Best regards to all the other team members.

Re: Rebel Planet Trailer #2 - 07/03/05 21:14

Yes, a big THANK YOU to light_mystic for some fantastic sound work and FrankG for some amazing models. Many others have helped out as well. I'll include a full credits listing with the demo so everyone can see who did what.

@towelie - good obvervation. combat with bad guys is the definate weak point in the trailer.

Re: Rebel Planet Trailer #2 - 07/03/05 21:21

Impressive... I don't know what else I should say.
I've been here for a long time and many many joint ventures (if I can call it like that) failed and failed again.
You seem to manage that pretty well, and everything fits perfectly together - as if everthing was modeled/textured by a single person.

Re: Rebel Planet Trailer #2 - 07/03/05 23:26

Thanks Firoball. I should maybe also say to everyone though to keep in mind that this is a trailer...so I'm showing off the best parts . Just don't want the expectations to be TOO high for when I release the demo . I think folks will generally like it though...

Re: Rebel Planet Trailer #2 - 07/04/05 07:01

it is.. cool!

Good work 10/10 !
Posted By: dennisb

Re: Rebel Planet Trailer #2 - 07/20/05 13:16

Wow, this looks great!

I am gonna buy this software, now I know I am making the right choice. I'm sure it will take a long time before I make anything as cool as that, but it can be done.

Congratulations on your great work.
Posted By: Nadester

Re: Rebel Planet Trailer #2 - 07/20/05 18:34

Excellent as always Peter & team. Keep it up!
Posted By: Ambassador

Re: Rebel Planet Trailer #2 - 07/20/05 19:21

VERY nice indeed!

Re: Rebel Planet Trailer #2 - 07/21/05 09:58

Quote:

Wow, this looks great!

I am gonna buy this software, now I know I am making the right choice. I'm sure it will take a long time before I make anything as cool as that, but it can be done.

You see this?? This is why Conitec needs to make a better tech demo and better video!!!
People want to see what A6 can do!!!!

Geez...
Posted By: xoNoid

Re: Rebel Planet Trailer #2 - 07/21/05 10:26

Hey I noticed on your website that it said this game was coming out for Xbox. If thats the case then I'm very impressed that you got permission to develop for their console.
Posted By: Salamibrot

Re: Rebel Planet Trailer #2 - 07/21/05 12:07

is it possible to develop for xbox with 3dgs??
Posted By: Stefan

Re: Rebel Planet Trailer #2 - 07/21/05 12:50

Antwort auf:

is it possible to develop for xbox with 3dgs??

http://www.coniserver.net/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=281593&an=0&page=0#281593

Re: Rebel Planet Trailer #2 - 07/21/05 15:30

Thanks for all the compliments. It takes a lot of hard work and also good artists and modeloers that I can't take credit for (I'm the main programmer and guy who ties it all together) but yes you can make a good looking game with A6.

As for XBOX, no you can't make XBOX games with A6. But I'm in discussions with another developer who holds an XBOX license who would end up being the developer of the XBOX version using a different engine but in partnership with Rebel Planet.

Re: Rebel Planet Trailer #2 - 07/21/05 16:05

Great stuff!

keep us updated on how that goes.
Posted By: robodude666

Re: Rebel Planet Trailer #2 - 08/04/05 02:34

DAMN! That...That..That.. Was made with 3DGS? HOLY SH*T!!! I love it Looks very professional

Me want!!!! Me want!!! guess il have to wait for 2006 though
Posted By: bupaje

Re: Rebel Planet Trailer #2 - 08/04/05 05:38

@Peter and crew - that looks fantastic. Really impressive work and dedication.
Posted By: Orange Brat

Re: Rebel Planet Trailer #2 - 08/04/05 18:21

Hey, The Rebel Planet has made Wired News.

Christians Code Heavenly Games

Re: Rebel Planet Trailer #2 - 08/04/05 18:33

Yes, congradulations Rebel Planet! This calls for a party
Posted By: Matt_Coles

Re: Rebel Planet Trailer #2 - 08/04/05 23:19

Great work, sorry I'm always on and off the project, the work is looking great!!!
Posted By: BlindLeader

Re: Rebel Planet Trailer #2 - 08/05/05 00:36

The game has a christian background within?
I won't buy it...sorry...I think religion has nothing to do in games
but I love the grafix and so on...

Re: Rebel Planet Trailer #2 - 08/05/05 03:16

Very appreciative of Wired's generous articles. I have to laugh though - one quote he has me saying I'm pretty sure I didn't say (must have been someone else at the conference) - but it was a good phrase...so I'll take it LOL

As for the Christian content, yes the themes are Christian in nature. However, the game is not preachy and those uncomfortable wtih religious themes I don't think would have a problem with our story. For those interested to hear the message behind our game there will be a "directors cut" menu option but that of course is optional and separate from the gameplay...

Re: Rebel Planet Trailer #2 - 08/05/05 08:55

Hi Blindleader,

I am not religious as well but I work for that project and I am sure that this can also be seen as a very nice fantasy game. Peter has created such a nice story that I would not complain about any christian background. Some games like Gothic 1 and 2 also had religion involved in their story. Though this religion from Gothic is a mere fiction but I do not see a bad point with this.

It would be a problem when the fun is missing and the game would only preach a few messages. But this is not the case (and there is no problem at all with most of the christian messages - these are the base of our society and of our thinking even when we are not religious).

At the end this will be a beautiful game. And I invite you to be open hearted. Listen to the past, the history and to some religions (not only the christian religion). You can learn alot from other people. Do you think that only one way is the right one? No, I don't think so. Many people find their own one and help each other. I find it very good to learn and to respect each other and to be happy with that in a community. And the religion is just another community.

Frank
Posted By: spartan131

Re: Rebel Planet Trailer #2 - 08/05/05 16:11

I love games that has a message, and not just about killing stuff! I hope this game will be awesome!
Posted By: robodude666

Re: Rebel Planet Trailer #2 - 08/05/05 16:58

Quote:

I love games that has a message, and not just about killing stuff! I hope this game will be awesome!

Theres nothing wrong with just killing stuff
Posted By: Lost

Re: Rebel Planet Trailer #2 - 08/05/05 17:01

Quote:

nothing wrong with just killing stuff

...I know of several international authorities that would care to disagree

Cool stuff, always nice to get a little media attention. Religion interests me even if I have issues with how the Christian faith is managed and run. Aslong as I'm not playing some angel sent to kill all those who dont go to church I'm cool with it. Of course itll have to be a good game before i part with cash hehe.

Re: Rebel Planet Trailer #2 - 08/05/05 18:09

Quote:

Aslong as I'm not playing some angel sent to kill all those who dont go to church I'm cool with it.

Bummer. Guess I'll have to take that part out... j/k

Again, the game does have a message that we're passionate about, but we aim to present it in a tasteful way and in such a way that is respectful of those who disagree with the Christian worldview. And as evidence of that, as Frank has already pointed out above, we have many wonderful folks working on the project who aren't Christian themselves but who still feel comfortable with our product.

Ultimately, most games have a message of one kind or another (excpect maybe Tetris ). I definately believe computer games have a place in the marketplace of ideas!
Posted By: draculaFactory

Re: Rebel Planet Trailer #2 - 08/05/05 20:11

I think your idea of a before flood world is sweet. It is a good theme for RPGs because you can tie it in with the real world. The idea of a civilization before time, be it Atlantis or whatever else, gives the author alot of freedom. I liked the dinosaurs with people idea, although there is no imperical evidence to support this, alot of christians will tell you that we simply haven't found the skeletons yet lol. Good argument, if there was a catastrophic flood all of the remains could have been washed anywhere.

Though I am not a christian, I will pimp this site because I am interested in the archaeology aspect of it.

Link

Here's an example I thought up:

What do you know about how a nuclear reactor works? If this sort of technology was in the hands of a few skilled cultures that were wiped out by one thing or another (e.g. flood, meteor), and you and a few others were the only survivors, what could you tell the world about this technology? Likely almost nothing, exept that your people had an advanced energy source that had the power to destroy the world. You might be able to say that it uses radioactive metals like cobalt and uranium but the specifics will be lost. Sound familiar? Hundreds of years pass and your story was written down in books and becomes myth. Although no specifics are given, rumors of an advanced civilization continue.

If the entire world flooded, you would no longer have a reference point for anything. You would no longer be able to locate where anything was without using an advanced method. You would be completely lost even if you are feet from where your home and would have no way to relate directions to anyone else.

Thank you, I'll be here all week.

Re: Rebel Planet Trailer #2 - 08/05/05 20:42

Exactly. It's simply fascinating to speculate on what the anient world may have been like. And that is really all we're doing in our game - speculating. In some of our other materials we stress that we're not at all trying to convince people that the world we're presenting was anything like the acnient world before the flood may really have been like. We've got some theories and ideas, but we really don't know and no one else does either for sure. Our aim is not even to teach what the Bible says about the pre-flood era. We're careful to not contradict the Bible and we ARE trying to communicate some central themes of the Bible and wrestle with some basic spiritual/philosophical questions (i.e. why is there evil and God's rescue mission to save humanity, etc.). But, at the same time...it IS a fantasy RPG

Okay...I better stop. Good discussion, but probably belongs in another forum topic...
Posted By: spartan131

Re: Rebel Planet Trailer #2 - 08/05/05 22:32

I also hope that the game is as deep as a game like Morrowind. That might be too much to ask, but it'll be awesome if it was as deep as Morrowind.
Posted By: fastlane69

Re: Rebel Planet Trailer #2 - 08/06/05 04:07

Awesome exposure. With all the GTA:SA hoopla in the air, this is the perfect time to show yourself big time!!!

Good Job!
Posted By: Rhuarc

Re: Rebel Planet Trailer #2 - 08/06/05 04:55

Quote:

Ultimately, most games have a message of one kind or another (excpect maybe Tetris ).

Of course there's a message in tetris, it becomes more apparant the more drugs you're on .

As usual, looking excellent Peter. I'll look forward to seeing this take more shape and come out one day!

-Rhuarc
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Rebel Planet Trailer #2 - 08/06/05 07:23

Good job Peter,
I really like the smooth graphics and color transitions in the textures. I really don't play violent games at all so this doesn't quite fit my style, considering I listen to love songs and watch Disney movies instead of playing Quake or something like normal people do. If you notice in my games, they all have surrealistic colors, flashing colors, fantasy models and stuff because I never really got into realistic games. But the graphics in this capture a really nice part of reality (like Glider).

Quote:

[there's no message to Tetris]

I do have a 3D Tetris puzzle game and my message is:
you gotta make your brain start thinking in more dimensions than it used to, and fit the blocks so you know how stuff goes together
it's part of my 35 MB demo by the way, but most of the options are available in the full version!

By the way, I like seeing any games that are associated with doing stuff for God, that's really good!

Re: Rebel Planet Trailer #2 - 08/06/05 11:14

I stand corrected. So even tetris has a message

And I've heard the original tetris programmers hid a scandolous scene that can be unlocked...

Re: Rebel Planet Trailer #2 - 08/06/05 19:45

Quote:

And I've heard the original tetris programmers hid a scandolous scene that can be unlocked...

Yeah, I know which version you mean, but though very 'original', it was already adult only rated anyways ...

Cheers
Posted By: FoxZero

Re: Rebel Planet Trailer #2 - 08/09/05 22:10

Did I post here already? I don't know. Anyways, Awesome graphics! This looks very interesting. This is not my kind of game, but I'd probably try it. I've been getting into those hardcore FPS's like Quake and UT04 lately. The concept of picking up a minigun and bumping your enemies full of lead seems to be the best for me. I've been into driving games my whole life. RPGs put my to sleep. My dream is to make an ultra intense destructive FPS/Driving game for the PC.

The whole Christianity thing seems weird to me. I'm not much of a Christian. I don't read the Bible or go to church. I'm cool with it in real life but as long as this game doesn't preach one bit I'd play it. Glad it already has publicity.

Posted By: draculaFactory

Re: Rebel Planet Trailer #2 - 08/13/05 19:28

Quote:

Ultimately, most games have a message of one kind or another (excpect maybe Tetris ).

I rember reading a long time ago that the story behind tetris was that all the people in the world were turned into blocks and you have to change them back.

Message behind Bubble Bobble: You and your friend were dropping acid and fell asleep. You awoke and discovered that you had turned into tiny dinosaurs that had to blow bubbles to defeat enemies.

Message behind Double Dragon: Trained in the ancient art of punching people in the face and picking up metal pipes to smash people, you are the ultimate macho man, especially when you are smacking around those manly women with the whips.
Posted By: mk_1

Re: Rebel Planet Trailer #2 - 08/23/05 22:49

Holy [censored]. I've seen a small scene of the game on SAT.1 (German TV station)...

Re: Rebel Planet Trailer #2 - 08/24/05 03:42

Yeah, it was kinda cool. ABC World News Tonight did a spot on Christian computer games and Rebel Planet got about 3 seconds of primetime and a very brief blurb on what the games about. You probably saw a clip from that on SAT.1.
Posted By: mk_1

Re: Rebel Planet Trailer #2 - 08/24/05 09:01

Yeah, that's right. Pretty cool.

Re: Rebel Planet Trailer #2 - 08/24/05 16:54

Infact gamespot also has the trailer of Rebel Planet Orion, or is that a different trailer? I'm going to check it out now...

Yep, I was right : trailer on gamespot

Cheers

Re: Rebel Planet Trailer #2 - 08/28/05 03:00

Hi,
I was wondering something about Rebel Planet, Peter. So I hear you're one of the leaders of the Christian Game Developer's Foundation? I think that's really great if so! But I just wanted to understand how this game works. Are you trying to bridge the typical first person shooter/adventure with a Christian game? I was wondering because I noticed the player hacking away at some creatures with a sword in the game which I thought was very strange for a "Christian" game. Must be an extension for the typical gamer from a violent game toward adventure right? Just wondering....

I think I am planning on adding some more children-oriented features to my games for learning and education so I am trying to gain inspiration from other games like maybe Rebel Planet by the way. But so far, I'm thinking that you're gearing this toward adults...?

I also thought its interesting that most people think this game is fantasy when all the textures and environments seem fairly realistic. The creatures make it fantasy right? Well if this is fantasy, then my games are just plain INSANE or totally fantasylike!! ha
Posted By: Sandaras

Re: Rebel Planet Trailer #2 - 08/28/05 14:03

Hallo ich muß leider zugeben das ich fast kein Englisch kann deswegen schreibe ich in deutsch da ich vorhabe die A6 Commercial zu kaufen frage ich mich ob
Rebel planet mit dieser gebaut worden ist
Posted By: Sebe

Re: Rebel Planet Trailer #2 - 08/28/05 14:08

Quote:

Hallo ich muß leider zugeben das ich fast kein Englisch kann deswegen schreibe ich in deutsch da ich vorhabe die A6 Commercial zu kaufen frage ich mich ob

Ja.
Posted By: Sandaras

Re: Rebel Planet Trailer #2 - 08/28/05 19:02

Quote:

Quote:

Ja.

Danke

Re: Rebel Planet Trailer #2 - 08/28/05 20:58

WING,
It's fantasy in the Tolkien sense of the word. And yes, there's some violence, but no blood and gore and we've tried to structure it so that combat is either in self-defense or for some noble cause (i.e. in the first level the player must attempt to rescue his captive father).
And yes, the game is geared for teens and adults (not for little kids).
As for the Christian Developers Foundation, I think you're confusing this with the Christian Game Developers Conference and Association of which I've been an active participant.

@LordSebe - thanks for jumping in there - my German is about as good as my Greek

Re: Rebel Planet Trailer #2 - 08/28/05 21:01

Ok, thanks Peter. I was just curious and I think the graphics of the game are really amazing! Keep up the good work!

Re: Rebel Planet Trailer #2 - 08/29/05 07:44

You all say that the graphics of that game are amazing but I have to say: The scripting of this huge project is much more impressive. Peter is doing a great job.
Posted By: DavidLancaster

Re: Rebel Planet Trailer #2 - 08/29/05 08:24

Quote:

You all say that the graphics of that game are amazing but I have to say: The scripting of this huge project is much more impressive. Peter is doing a great job.

Very Very True!!! Peter has created a dynamic world, you can be at any place in the game and the NPCs and enemies are going about their business whether you are there or not, this coding is amazing and extremely in depth. What Peter has done here is a masterpiece, pure genius.
Posted By: Odrez

Re: Rebel Planet Trailer #2 - 08/30/05 12:10

Okay, then I load a Trailer from this interesting 3D engine..

What I see is quite interesting. But it scares me in two ways:
Way 1: Oo w...w..WHAT? The Forests an Lightmaps are looking grateful, really good atmosphere, and very nice. ^_-
Way 2: Ouh...Whats this Walk animation? Why can't he run? And why is the Fighting system so..."not dynamic"?

I think things like Animations (walk usw.) should be better than this, and the Ks should be more comfortable. In this way it looks a little bit like Morrowind, which was also hard to control. It would end with a crashed mouse. oO

Also the System graphics I don't like. They're looking a little bit boring. But...hey, Gothic 1 & 2 System graphics were boring and bad too. ^_- So it doesn't matter.

But in the end, the game is really..interesting. Nice charakter-modelling, nice textures and good mapping. And also a great Water texture.

~Odrez~
Posted By: hack-panther

Re: Rebel Planet Trailer #2 - 08/31/05 05:53

ich habe ein kleinen Ausschnitt vom Trailer auf ProSieben gesehen....

cool ^^
© 2024 lite-C Forums