Access Phenomenon - Beta release

Posted By: DavidLancaster

Access Phenomenon - Beta release - 09/19/05 14:35

Hey All

Here is an early beta demo of "Access Phenomenon: The Land of Lies"

Hosted by Rebel Planet:
http://rebelplanetcreations.com/workarea/Access1.exe

Many thanks to Andvari for the animations, Hanzo for the character models, Ambassador for the Music/GUI/character noises and the beginning narration, Light_mystic for sound effects, Dex for textures and various models and I think it was Loopix's models that I used for the weeds. Rest of the work was done by myself, all the programming/level design/game development. This demo contains puzzles about the NIV bible, and a copy may be required to solve the puzzles. The story is fictional, but the story refers to God at places, this material may be offensive to some, please keep in mind that it is all fictional.

Some of the sounds and music are .ogg files, if you don't have it already, you'll need to install the .ogg codec, you can find it at this link:

http://www.dbpoweramp.com/codec-central-ogg.htm

As this is a beta version, there's still lots to be changed. Please keep in mind the following:

-You can skip non cutscene dialog quickly by pressing Esc

-You'll get an error if you attempt to load one of the games that already appears in the load game screen, make sure that you only load a game that you have already saved yourself, even better, save over every slot as soon as you can to stop any errors happening when you load a game.

-Most of the bible clues are incomplete, if you get a clue saying "And God said let there be light, and there was light" the book is not Genesis, as Genesis actually doesn't have that as a clue. It simply means that I haven't had the time to find verses for that book, hit the ? box again to get the order that book is in the bible.

-Remember turn down water quality and vegetation density/visibility in options menu to increase performance. I haven't tested the demo on slower PCs. A bug that might occur on the slower systems, is that text moves really really slowly when it appears on screen, if you encounter this problem, let me know and I'll see if I can upload an update which will hopefully rectify this problem.

---------------------------------------------------------
Some screens from www.accessphenomenon.com

Posted By: task1

Re: Access Phenomenon - Beta release - 09/19/05 15:30

very nice.looks like you love manga...;) good work!
Posted By: Anubis

Re: Access Phenomenon - Beta release - 09/19/05 15:38

One of the best 3dgsgame ive ever played. So nice worked
out.. Only the trees (foresttexture) could be better .. but
very very nice 9/10
Posted By: nightshade

Re: Access Phenomenon - Beta release - 09/19/05 17:32

Download stucks before 100% all time So i can't test!!! (poor world:D)
but screens lookin' very nice!
Posted By: Bird

Re: Access Phenomenon - Beta release - 09/19/05 17:47

wooow!
I reaaally love this game
I'm a big fan of the "japano-style"

but hey.. am I dumb, or why can't I use my sword?
I wanna cut the weeds!

EDIT:
LOL, ok ^^
i found it out I can use the sword by pressing '1'

EDIT 2: plz make a "invert-mouse"-button in the options for when the camera goes up and down
Posted By: TheGameMaker

Re: Access Phenomenon - Beta release - 09/19/05 18:09

Genial!!!!!!
WOW!!!!
Love the Modells
TheGameMaker
Posted By: Matt_Aufderheide

Re: Access Phenomenon - Beta release - 09/19/05 18:57

what's the "NIV bible"?
Posted By: Peter Churness

Re: Access Phenomenon - Beta release - 09/19/05 19:06

Quote:

what's the "NIV bible"?

A particular English translation of the Bible (New International Version). Different versions have slightly different wording which may affect some of the game puzzles
Posted By: ulf

Re: Access Phenomenon - Beta release - 09/19/05 19:08

very well done so far! i especially liked the gameplay. i think you know what you did so iam writing some critics about your game that may help you to improve it further. dont get me wrong, i like what you did, this is just to help you see something you may not have seen yet.

-different texture style (sometimes you use very poor textures (like the wood or palm trees for example)
-some black borders of vegetation textures ( you can clearly see this at the start where the camera is flying over the village)
-a compass would be helpful, i had a hard time finding out where to go with the ingame map
-optimize fps, the fps seem to jump very big values

all in all i think that if you can manage to make all stuff in the game look more fit together it can be a really great game. what i mean is that the style of all the things should be the same. sometimes you use very high detailed stuff like the grass and so on and on the other hand your forest texture looks like it came right out of paintbrush.

all in all very good work, keep it up! iam really looking forward seeing more of your work, the gameplay is very good and the story seems to be very deep also.

greetings
Posted By: Asse

Re: Access Phenomenon - Beta release - 09/19/05 19:22

Woohow, what I can say so far is that I love the manga-style of the professional looking models. Also the effects look very good!

The graphics could need a work-over but the game looks excelent!
Posted By: fastlane69

Re: Access Phenomenon - Beta release - 09/19/05 21:10

Very pro.

Nice job!
Posted By: nuclear_winter

Re: Access Phenomenon - Beta release - 09/20/05 19:24

Excellent work!!!
Posted By: Loopix

Re: Access Phenomenon - Beta release - 09/20/05 19:59

Exellent work! Everything runs very smooth...and the models...woahhh!!! It is great fun to slay all the ugly weeds...I was never thinking of my weeds being sooo evil
Only problem: The game crashed when I tried to load a saved game (in the first map)...

cheers
Posted By: Nadester

Re: Access Phenomenon - Beta release - 09/20/05 20:58

Fantastic!
Posted By: Towelie

Re: Access Phenomenon - Beta release - 09/20/05 21:27

Awesome work! Congradulations, you should be very proud.

However, I found quite a few bugs in playing. Here they are:

There you see his head going through the pillow. Nothing big but should be fixed...

Ok heres a few. The textures on top and on the palm need to be better. Also, I ghot onto that walkway another way, but had troubles "falling" into it- I kept jumping from one rail to another. Oh, and I'd get a new currency symbol- You dont want to get sued for stealign the rupee now do you?

Basic thing is the texture of the road doesnt align. Aslo, <GASP> are those standard textures I see? Lol not a problem since they are free to use but it is a wee bit silly for those who also use 3dgs

Only thign there is the tree roots arent that good, I'd fix it.

Also, I've found two glitches: One, if you jump next to a wall then you slowly fall down. The other one was slightly more complicated- In the Right wing of the temple I did the hanging part where you dodge the blocks tryign to push you off. Well, I got to the last part and went all the way to the wall to be safe, then the block pushed me off and I jumped and somehow managed to go through the wall.

Last suggestion is dont make an invert mouse look, or have an option. most games like this shouldnt have inverted mouse look...

Great game though

Re: Access Phenomenon - Beta release - 09/21/05 00:14

Thank you all for your comments, especially for the crits, keep them coming. I need to know as many ways as possible to get the bugs out and improve the game.

Re: Access Phenomenon - Beta release - 09/21/05 03:04

Quote:

Oh, and I'd get a new currency symbol- You dont want to get sued for stealign the rupee now do you?

The ruppee is a real currency. India maybe?

AccessPhenomenon, do you plan to go through and make this into a full scale game? Just out of curiousity... reminds me of Adventures in Pocia. Really great demo, unfortunately it never got finished.

Re: Access Phenomenon - Beta release - 09/21/05 07:46

Oh yeah! This game is going to be completed no doubt about that. I'm hoping release date is March 2006.

Thanks Towelie for the work you put into your post, the screenshots are very helpful. Thanks utz for your suggestions, they are very helpful.
Posted By: Sjoerd

Re: Access Phenomenon - Beta release - 09/21/05 07:59

Nice job man. The game got a really nice style.
I agree with the texture problems posted by other people.
I would add one thing, when you enter a house and get outside again, all those evil weeds are back.
Oh, is there a way to reduce load times, cause they will get a bit irritating after a while. It is okay to have a load time when you enter a different part of the level (like when you go to the beach), but it is annoying when you get a loadingscreen when you enter a house.

Re: Access Phenomenon - Beta release - 09/21/05 08:12

Quote:

Nice job man. The game got a really nice style.
I agree with the texture problems posted by other people.
I would add one thing, when you enter a house and get outside again, all those evil weeds are back.
Oh, is there a way to reduce load times, cause they will get a bit irritating after a while. It is okay to have a load time when you enter a different part of the level (like when you go to the beach), but it is annoying when you get a loadingscreen when you enter a house.

Thanks for your comments.

The problem with stopping the weeds respawn when you reenter a level, is that I'd have to go through and assign each weed a separate ID number in a skill value, then I'd compare the value to an array and see whether or not to remove the weed. That means I'd have to go through WED and select every weed, and assign an individual number to their skill, such as numbers 1 - 3000 so each weed has a unique ID. There is 1000s of weeds and unfortunatley the task would be quite time consuming.

I agree with the loading issue, I'll try to figure out a way to reduce the load times. With more loading it means a better frame rate in regards to the house interiors, if you couldn't go into the interior of houses seaparatly, but that all the interiors would be in the one level, that would really slow the game down with all the crazy WED gemoetry. Lighting is a bit of another issue, with the interior separate I can place WED lights outside the windows to create a nice effect. If you look on the outside of the window, the wall is very bright from the WED light, this looks odd, and I'd have to remove this effect if it was all in one level.
Posted By: Towelie

Re: Access Phenomenon - Beta release - 09/21/05 11:24

One thing that I just noticed without playing (Remembered it )

In the temple, theres weeds growing out of... stone floors? Maybe add some holes around them to reveal earth underneath or else you got a whole new type of weed
Posted By: r00tsh3ll

Re: Access Phenomenon - Beta release - 09/21/05 11:48

Great demo.
I wouldnt pick anything specific as a bad thing, maybe odd jumping (slow falling next to walls).
I allways look at overall feeling and this looks promising.
If i had a crit id say the game looks too bright for me, maybe darken it a bit?
Oh yea and definitly implement a way to stop conversations, those long chats really kill my mood

Re: Access Phenomenon - Beta release - 09/21/05 12:14

Quote:

Great demo.
I wouldnt pick anything specific as a bad thing, maybe odd jumping (slow falling next to walls).
I allways look at overall feeling and this looks promising.
If i had a crit id say the game looks too bright for me, maybe darken it a bit?
Oh yea and definitly implement a way to stop conversations, those long chats really kill my mood

Someone else mentioned the slow falling against the walls. How do you get that to happen? I've tried jumping against walls many times and the player falls at the same speed as normal. I'm not sure how to duplicate the problem.

What about pressing Esc in dialogs? That wont stop the convo but will stop the typewriter effect and just instantly place the current text there to skip. If you keep pressing Esc you can skip most texts quickly (except for cutscene text). Or would it be better to add another button to stop the dialog instantly?

Re: Access Phenomenon - Beta release - 09/21/05 12:34

This is quite a large demo, there's quite alot of puzzles and it can be time consuming to complete. For those who don't want to do all the puzzles, and just rush through and check out the other areas and even fight the boss (something that I've added for dev purposes) press ctrl-j, that will put you in first person camera mode, press space bar to exit this mode. You'll be able to exit the level bounds etc in this mode. You can use it to bypass the doors blocking access to other areas, doors that would normally be removed after completing puzzles. Just go through the door, to the part of the level where the next area would usually load and press space bar.
Posted By: A.Russell

Re: Access Phenomenon - Beta release - 09/21/05 15:05

Great game, Access! The graphics are beautiful.

I found one bug. While I was jumping around in the town, I got stuck on the corner of a balcony and couldn't move anymore.
Posted By: ex

Re: Access Phenomenon - Beta release - 09/21/05 20:51

Yes this game is really promising && the models are the best looking I've ever seen in 3DGS. Congrats.

Of course you need to improve some details, for me ESC did't cut the
dialogs.
Posted By: Locoweed

Re: Access Phenomenon - Beta release - 09/22/05 00:01

Very nice and very smooth. Good job so far for certain.

When I placed one pumpkin on another they both would shoot off into the air, seemed a bit strange. Very nice game though.
Posted By: William

Re: Access Phenomenon - Beta release - 09/22/05 00:59

Quote:

Someone else mentioned the slow falling against the walls. How do you get that to happen? I've tried jumping against walls many times and the player falls at the same speed as normal. I'm not sure how to duplicate the problem.

While I have yet to try the demo, these symptoms seem similar... are you sure you multiplied your movement variables by time? Perhaps, to duplicate it on your computer, force the framerate down - fps_max = 30;.

Re: Access Phenomenon - Beta release - 09/22/05 01:46

Quote:

When I placed one pumpkin on another they both would shoot off into the air, seemed a bit strange.

Thanks for that I've got it fixed now.

Quote:

In the Right wing of the temple I did the hanging part where you dodge the blocks tryign to push you off. Well, I got to the last part and went all the way to the wall to be safe, then the block pushed me off and I jumped and somehow managed to go through the wall.

Hooah! I've got this bug fixed now as well. It was caused from holding the space bar when you fall or drop from hanging onto a ledge, if you do so you'll jump immediately. Thanks.

Quote:

While I have yet to try the demo, these symptoms seem similar... are you sure you multiplied your movement variables by time? Perhaps, to duplicate it on your computer, force the framerate down - fps_max = 30;.

Unfortunately this isn't the issue, everything is in sync with the time variable. I've forced it down to 10 fps and it still wont work. Thanks for the suggestion though.
Posted By: A.Russell

Re: Access Phenomenon - Beta release - 09/22/05 04:20

Found a new bug for you. When loading a saved level the engine crashed.

Re: Access Phenomenon - Beta release - 09/22/05 07:17

Quote:

Found a new bug for you. When loading a saved level the engine crashed.

Yeah I get that bug as well, I'm not sure what is causing it. It might be worth starting a new game then saving over all 4 slots, then see if it works loading a game. It seems to have a problem while the old saved games are still there, once they are all gone it might fix it.
Posted By: Ambassador

Re: Access Phenomenon - Beta release - 09/23/05 05:51

SHIMUTAAAA!!!... You said nutting to me about posting the beta. XD I'll get ya for dis... I'll get ya all!... nah... probably not... I'm to lazy to... Weird that no one has mentioned the funny naration yet... lol got to record that part again ya know...

Re: Access Phenomenon - Beta release - 09/23/05 06:08

I knew you'd use your 1337 3DGS forum browsing powers to find this thread! So really I knew you'd know so I didn't let you know earlier. I guess it's evidence that your 1337 pronounciation of 'Island' is more superior that we first expected.
Posted By: iWaNtToKnOw

Re: Access Phenomenon - Beta release - 09/23/05 19:44

Hey, very good game, the only problem is the save-load, when i die in the boss and i try to load it the game lags , but is still very impressive
Posted By: Josh_Arldt

Re: Access Phenomenon - Beta release - 09/24/05 00:27

Very nice work!
This game is pretty fun.
I like how it has a lot of the features that Zelda for the N64 had. Especially the picking up/ throwing or dropping objects.

I really like how the main character looks. Very nice job.

BTW it looks like you put my Wet Area Footprints code to use? It was a nice surprise to see that used in the game.

I would just replace the standard textures and the palm tree texture.

Fantastic work.

Re: Access Phenomenon - Beta release - 09/24/05 01:29

Oh yeah! I remember your footprints now Josh! I did end up writing my own code, but used yours as reference, and I'm still using your footprint. Thank you! With the standard textures, I know what 3DGS people think about them, even me, people using them all the time they are very easy to get sick of. But some of them are really good textures, the majority of textures in the game arn't standard, and in the end I don't think it will matter. Except for the dodgy palm tree and forrest textures I made in MS paint :P I'll get those changed, and see if I can improve others.
Posted By: TheExpert

Re: Access Phenomenon - Beta release - 09/24/05 21:32

I have tried the demo , just one things to say : GREAT

The game have lot of colors , that makes it manga,toon or anime an it looks great like that.

just 3 points :
-you could have done some bigger levels ,
not with lot of things , but bigger to explore a little.
- i don't like the camera , caus it reacts to quickly as the player turns,
a camera that would rotate or move more slow with some aceleration
deceleration would be great like in mario 3D Game , or Zelda
caus the camera reacts too quickly, withut smoothnes like an FSP game
- your walls look too squarry like walls and not cliffs, perhsaps you coudl rework that a little.

appart from that , your game is really enjoyable , fun, i would want more ennemies in bigger areas ;
i have played another indie game : Fate and it looks more polished , i think you could rework the textures in some areas , and put some walls that would look better.

Your game really rocks.
Keep it up
Posted By: Ithicus

Re: Access Phenomenon - Beta release - 09/24/05 22:12

I agree with the above post. The levels were too small and cramped, and the camera was way too sensitive. But the theme of it is very nice, and I threw pumpkins at everybody. I like how there are plenty of different moves to make combat more interesting. Cool destructible environments also. I liked the bible quote puzzle too.

But one thing...I couldnt get all the way through it. For some reason I just lost interest. But that maybe due to the fact it was very, very, very late. So late I should say it was early.

Keep it up.

Onward and Upward
McLaren
Posted By: Josh_Arldt

Re: Access Phenomenon - Beta release - 09/24/05 22:44

I really like the players movment btw.

Quote:

I liked the bible quote puzzle too.

How do I get to that??? I tryed climbing the fence/baracade and got stuck in between the boards.

Re: Access Phenomenon - Beta release - 09/25/05 01:15

Quote:

I really like the players movment btw.

Quote:

I liked the bible quote puzzle too.

How do I get to that??? I tryed climbing the fence/baracade and got stuck in between the boards.

You gotta kill all the enemies in the farm area then talk to Pete. Then the barricade opens.

Re: Access Phenomenon - Beta release 2.0 - 10/11/05 14:15

For those that are interested here is a new beta demo. I've made alot of improvements in this demo, the graphics are better, such as removing 90% of those standard textures, and replacing some of those dodgy textures with better ones and better palm trees. The save/system is alot more stable now.

http://www.rebelplanetcreations.com/workarea/apdemo2.exe

(there have been troubles with downloading from this server, the download seems to cut off sometimes, ie it will only get half way or so)

Some new screenshots:

http://www.accessphenomenon.com/images/AP/APbeach2.jpg
http://www.accessphenomenon.com/images/AP/APbeach3.jpg
http://www.accessphenomenon.com/images/AP/APbeanpole6.jpg
http://www.accessphenomenon.com/images/AP/APboss1.jpg
http://www.accessphenomenon.com/images/AP/APoasis2.jpg
Posted By: HackerL

Re: Access Phenomenon - Beta release 2.0 - 10/11/05 19:20

Nice speceffcts!
And textures!
Posted By: Destop

Re: Access Phenomenon - Beta release 2.0 - 10/12/05 15:15

Nice plants
Posted By: Michael_Schwarz

Re: Access Phenomenon - Beta release 2.0 - 10/12/05 15:23

still can't download it -_- keeps canceeling at 50%~ with opera, firefox, firebird, IE, konqueor...

NOTHING WORKS!
Posted By: FBL

Re: Access Phenomenon - Beta release 2.0 - 10/12/05 18:03

Can't download it either.
Both downlaods closed at ~80%...
Posted By: FBL

Re: Access Phenomenon - Beta release 2.0 - 10/12/05 19:03

ok I give up.

Re: Access Phenomenon - Beta release 2.0 - 10/12/05 22:22

Quote:

ok I give up.

dito

-_-'

Re: Access Phenomenon - Beta release 2.0 - 10/13/05 02:48

Sorry for the download troubles, we've been trying to get it fixed with the host, but to no avail, we'll be changing hosts so for the future hopefully we wont get these troubles.

Another screen: http://www.accessphenomenon.com/images/AP/APtown2.jpg

Re: Access Phenomenon - Beta release 2.0 - 10/13/05 06:16

maybe you could split the file in 4 parts so each would be <50 MB. just a thougth...
Posted By: Calined

Re: Access Phenomenon - Beta release 2.0 - 10/13/05 07:51

o.o
i am looking at the screens and i am VEEEEEEEEEEEERY interested in playing this game o.o

it looks really cool, and has a cool style(as far as i can see from the screens)
looks also somehow pro o.o
but mainly interesting

i will try it ^.^
Posted By: light_mystic

Re: Access Phenomenon - Beta release 2.0 - 10/13/05 08:37

Despite the download troubles..... those screens are looking good! Keep up the good work! I do notice however you said you got rid of %90 of the standard Textures you were using. Good to get rid of those hehe. Anyways Good work presented here!

Light_Mystic.
Posted By: Inestical

Re: Access Phenomenon - Beta release 2.0 - 10/13/05 12:48

Looks ver nice! bit cubic, but nice!
Posted By: Captain_Kiyaku

Re: Access Phenomenon - Beta release 2.0 - 10/13/05 19:08

just woooooooow @_@
im really impressed! it allready has cool features and the style is great.

the levels are just too small, i mean, the ways, and the houses and the place is too small, it's hard to move there.

i didnt found any bug so far.

I often try to do something like this too, but i can't do modeldesign so i have no good characters to test my scripts with ;<
i wish i could have such models too :<

Anyway, keep that up
Posted By: ShoreVietam

Re: Access Phenomenon - Beta release 2.0 - 10/13/05 20:57

Damn cool looking scenes!

That player-model is absolutely great, and fit's well to the environment!
Posted By: Ithicus

Re: Access Phenomenon - Beta release 2.0 - 10/13/05 21:11

Looking good! The graphics are WAY improved. However, the levels are too claustrophobic, and needs more life, such as bunnies and birds. (Look at my sig for some ideas ) The butterflies are start, though.

McLaren

Re: Access Phenomenon - Beta release 2.0 - 10/15/05 14:18

Quote:

maybe you could split the file in 4 parts so each would be <50 MB. just a thougth...

Just get GetRight or any other download manager and you can always resume the broken download...
Posted By: Nata

Re: Access Phenomenon - Beta release 2.0 - 10/22/05 09:14

Hm, link to demo2 is dead
Can you post a link again. Thank you.

Re: Access Phenomenon - Beta release 2.0 - 10/22/05 19:52

If I am correnct we just moved to a new and more stable server due to downloading issues... The files were gone with that I guess, so you'll have to wait till da boss wakes up and finds this thread XD

Re: Access Phenomenon - Beta release 2.0 - 10/23/05 02:17

Mr Anjam is correct. New server same demo:
http://dev.rebelplanetcreations.com/downloads/apdemo2.exe
Posted By: Blitzblaster1

Re: Access Phenomenon - Beta release 2.0 - 10/23/05 12:53

the screenshots looks good, nice work !

Re: Access Phenomenon - Beta release 2.0 - 10/29/05 18:37

Quote:

the screenshots looks good, nice work !

Wait till you see our brand new menu and HUD ( copyright Samuel Anjam ) XD... and our superb voice acting! XD LOL...
Posted By: JetpackMonkey

Re: Access Phenomenon - Beta release 2.0 - 11/16/05 03:06

WHoah looks like one of the best acknex games I've seen! awesome!
Posted By: Iglarion

Re: Access Phenomenon - Beta release 2.0 - 11/16/05 14:12

Congratulation!!!

Great work! Nice models, nice cartoon style, good movement and battle system ... everything is great.

Like Bonanza say, looks like one of the best acknex games I've seen!

Re: Access Phenomenon - Beta release 2.0 - 11/22/05 22:44

The website is complete Rebel Planet Creations There's also a trailer of the game you can find there
Posted By: Bilbo

Re: Access Phenomenon - Beta release 2.0 - 11/22/05 23:12

all i can say is thats pretty damn cool! altho a little zeldaish

Re: Access Phenomenon - Beta release 2.0 - 11/23/05 01:26

You and Peter working together? Site looks really great.

Re: Access Phenomenon - Beta release 2.0 - 11/23/05 06:23

Quote:

Lol yeah Peter works with AccessPhenomonen... Though he just kind of "maintains" it. Practically only me and AccessPhenomenon are working on the project. Then there is the two other guys, one of them does some of the models and one of them animates them...
Posted By: immersionfx

Re: Access Phenomenon - Beta release 2.0 - 11/23/05 06:56

Congratulations!
You guys, apart from doing an excellent job, managed to finish a, what seems to be, huge and complicated game! And that's what counts the most.

Kudos to all the AccessPhenomenon team

Re: Access Phenomenon - Beta release 2.0 - 11/23/05 09:52

Quote:

Well, it didn't really start off that way, back in September I showed him some screen shots, as I had been doing some work for Rebel Planet, he had the idea of teaming up, ie Axys Chronicles becoming a Rebel Planet product, and it just went from there. Probably the most unfortunate news for the 3DGS community, is that Orion is now being made on the Torque engine. I think that Peter will eventually upload the final build of the 3DGS version of Orion and post here.

Samuel has helped out alot! He is like the 1337est guy ever :P And the amazing animations are done by the brilliant Andvari! Superb models by Qareeb.

Re: Access Phenomenon - Beta release 2.0 - 11/23/05 16:51

I know I said I'd give you some cartoon style texture packs a while back, if you're still interested in that send me a PM.
Posted By: Peter Churness

Re: Access Phenomenon - Beta release 2.0 - 11/24/05 14:41

Quote:

I WISH I could take credit for David's game

Yes, David and Samuel and the rest of their team is doing an awesome job. And yes, we've all teamed up corporately and are moving toward merging our teams together more and more so we're really one development team. David will also probably be taking over as development lead for the Orion game once Axys is done. And yes, as David noted above, Orion will be moving over to Torque. Nothing against 3DGS though - it's an awesome community and has been a very good tool for us to come up with a prototype of our game. After I clean things up a bit I'll be posting an Orion tech demo with A6 and releasing the code for free to whomever it can help out...

Re: Access Phenomenon - Beta release 2.0 - 11/24/05 15:42

Great to see you guys are moving foreward.
Posted By: William

Re: Access Phenomenon - Beta release 2.0 - 11/25/05 09:11

Why the move to Torque? I assume it had to either do with Xbox development or the lack of lightmaps on models?
Posted By: Machinery_Frank

Re: Access Phenomenon - Beta release 2.0 - 11/25/05 09:35

William. Rebel Planet is based on a huge world and uses terrain very often. Torque supports very huge terrains and can render complex terrain scenes with much entities very fast and smooth. Even entities with very low texture sizes look professional.

I talked with engine developers and they still admire the Torque renderer.

Since Peter is a good programmer he could be one of those that can handle Torque. I think this is not a very easy task. But I wish him success.

Frank

Re: Access Phenomenon - Beta release 2.0 - 11/25/05 10:25

If I get it tright, you should use Torque if you are in the terrains, but if yer pr0 in Level geometry (like Bilbo) stay in 3DGS.. I like Level Geometry more than terrains cuz I don't need to code Collisions to it

Torque is good engine, not as good as 3DGS (not after Octrees / BSP choices come). Though also if you can program CScript and incoming Lite-C, I would not recommend moving to Torque (if not willing to learn new Language).

btw,

the roads textures are not placed perfectly, is this fixed already?

Re: Access Phenomenon - Beta release 2.0 - 11/25/05 13:26

You know how difficult it is to get the textures perfectly aligned?

I've noticed that even in the Zelda games had this issue. It would have to be done in Max, where Max would do all that great work, or somehow...Redesigning the level, with perfectly straight boring paths that are aligned along the WED grid. The path texture is always on a surface at various rotations, I see it almost impossible in WED, after rotating and moving the texture, to get it to align at the perfect position to the grass texture. Even if I did make the paths line up with the WED grid so I could make sure that the texures were aligned, then I would be significantly impared in any special designs with the path, it would have to be strickty limited to moving a certain way along the WED grid. Unless there's another way I haven't thought of?

Re: Access Phenomenon - Beta release 2.0 - 11/25/05 19:58

well, I normally make then mor bigger texture ;P and bigger area that holds the whole path. And I know the level of hardness to align them fought with one for three hours to get someow aligned.. it was small.. yeah.. road.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Access Phenomenon - Beta release 2.0 - 11/25/05 23:06

Wow, this game is really awesome Samuel and David! I would have to say its one of the best I've played from 3DGS. A lot like Zelda like someone else said, but the graphics, music and textures are extremely good. The only downfalls I saw were: you wield a sword (which is violence and against the commandments), 8 second loading times on levels that should take 2 seconds, and slow framerates (I'm guessing this is because you're using skins of megapixel size or too high of a poly character?). But the good things about this game far outweigh the bad things. I think the music was really well made, who did it? Great job and keep up the good work!

Re: Access Phenomenon - Beta release 2.0 - 11/26/05 09:40

Quote:

Wow, this game is really awesome Samuel and David! I would have to say its one of the best I've played from 3DGS. A lot like Zelda like someone else said, but the graphics, music and textures are extremely good. The only downfalls I saw were: you wield a sword (which is violence and against the commandments), 8 second loading times on levels that should take 2 seconds, and slow framerates (I'm guessing this is because you're using skins of megapixel size or too high of a poly character?). But the good things about this game far outweigh the bad things. I think the music was really well made, who did it? Great job and keep up the good work!

Danke Danke I did the music. Te skins are not megapixel size and our primary modeler does fairly low poly job. David probably knows a bit better why the framerates are a bit too small on some computers. But wait till we release the full version and you get to playe the Penu Harbour part. I played it yesterday when David sent me the new beta and man I was amuzed ! The graphics there look even better! But I'm not gonna tell you any more about that... Buy the game when it's ready!

Re: Access Phenomenon - Beta release 2.0 - 11/26/05 13:20

one big disadvantage i found out.

The riddles are Christian-riddles as far as i know, right?
So people who dont know the bible, doesnt know the answers to the quest o_O

Well at least there were some bible-questions if i remember correct.

So i will never play the game cause i dont know the answers.

Re: Access Phenomenon - Beta release 2.0 - 11/26/05 14:56

Quote:

The riddles are Christian-riddles as far as i know, right?
So people who dont know the bible, doesnt know the answers to the quest o_O

I know the bible but I can't answer the questions either :|... XD

Re: Access Phenomenon - Beta release 2.0 - 11/26/05 16:27

yeah so its too hard for some people, or even impossible, for me for example. And i really would like to buy the game oneday and play it, without checking the bible.

Maybe more "neutral" quests should exist.

Re: Access Phenomenon - Beta release 2.0 - 11/26/05 17:53

Quote:

yeah so its too hard for some people, or even impossible, for me for example. And i really would like to buy the game oneday and play it, without checking the bible.

Maybe more "neutral" quests should exist.

I have tried to convince David but with to success |<...

Or maybe we are the only blockheads dump enough to mess up the quests XD

Re: Access Phenomenon - Beta release 2.0 - 11/26/05 21:11

lol yeah maybe i should just read the bible XD (im sure i'll never do @_@)

well then no AccessPhenomenon for me and you :<

Re: Access Phenomenon - Beta release 2.0 - 11/27/05 00:54

Quote:

lol yeah maybe i should just read the bible XD (im sure i'll never do @_@)

well then no AccessPhenomenon for me and you :<

Yeah I know, I don't expect anyone to read their bibles, I can understand it's offensive to some. Perhaps I'll add cheats that can automatically complete those puzzles in an area or something. For the second demo at least, ctrl-shift-x will give you all pieces of the orb, full health, full SP, so you can bypass all the puzzles. (I also think I missed some files in the 2.0 demo and the memory puzzles arn't working propery. You can also do some clipping :P ctrl-shift-h will enable the you to fly around with the player position at the camera, press space to go back to normal (the player will be spawned in at the new camera position, so you can bypass walls etc. If you hit a ? box enough, it will tell you the order of the book, ie 4th book of the old testament, then all you need to do is look at the index of a bible and start counting, but once again, I wouldn't expect some to do that.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Access Phenomenon - Beta release 2.0 - 11/27/05 01:04

I think its really awesome that you have questions about The Bible in there, its a book that many people don't have a background in from school but its about the Creator of the universe, what could be more important?

Re: Access Phenomenon - Beta release 2.0 - 11/27/05 01:08

@Wing: Partially agree ;P It's good that people get known to the God (named as Grevieren Gzares.. Not sure tho), who is only one of the creators of Earth, actually the one who made most of this universe.. But also there is players who don't want to even think 'bout it. And other religions too

Re: Access Phenomenon - Beta release 2.0 - 11/27/05 07:40

Quote:

Perhaps I'll add cheats that can automatically complete those puzzles in an area or something.

No dont do that. Just write an walkthrough for the riddles, that should be enough (but dont include it into your game)
so people who dont want to cheat won't read the walkthrough.
Posted By: BlueBeast

Re: Access Phenomenon - Beta release 2.0 - 12/05/05 22:25

Heck, with the names 'David' and 'Samual' (samuel) for creators, the biblical theme seems almost fitting lol

OK silly comments aside, for the puzzles with content not easy for all players, perhaps have a local chaplain or maybe a church where they can go for clues... such as a dialouge from an NPC or even reading an open page from a bible or something of that nature.

Just a thought...

Jason

Re: Access Phenomenon - Beta release 2.0 - 12/05/05 22:59

the only bible riddle in the game that i knew was "genesis" but thats the only thing. The others i still dont figured out
Posted By: Ran Man

Re: Access Phenomenon - Beta release 2.0 - 12/05/05 23:49

Quote:

perhaps have a local chaplain or maybe a church where they can go for clues... such as a dialouge from an NPC or even reading an open page from a bible or something of that nature.

Just a thought...

Jason

Hey great idea! Or how about the go to a local church and God Himself gives them the clues!

You know like God speaking --> "THE ANSWER IS GENESIS !!!" Or something like that... At least that is what I would do with it. lol

Re: Access Phenomenon - Beta release 2.0 - 12/06/05 04:12

lol well maybe not THAT extreme of an idea, though one could feel quite priveledged having a higher power give him the clues... but still, theres ways for players to find the answers i think

Jason

Re: Access Phenomenon - Beta release 2.0 - 12/06/05 04:57

Lol, I'll definately do a walkthrough with the answers, I think that's the easiest option.
Posted By: light_mystic

Re: Access Phenomenon - Beta release 2.0 - 12/06/05 05:20

Are we trying to play a game and figure it on our own? Or let someone hand us the answers. Man I wish life was that simple but it is not.

Paul.

Re: Access Phenomenon - Beta release 2.0 - 12/06/05 08:08

I think the point here is to solve a puzzle in a game, clues are necessary. Period. or you'll lose your audience.

If whoever wishes to buy the game has to obtain and study a bible to get through the game, well, the outcome is obvious. Especially if the player is of a religeon not consistant with the games requirements.

More generally, if to get through a game you have to study anything outside the game to get through it, it's quite the killer of the momentum, and the fun. The wisest thing to do is to make sure any answers they need are in the game itself. Noone has to be handed the answers, but they should be around if even in the form of clues.

But relying on a persons knowledge of a specific topic is silly unless the game is clearly based on that subject matter. It narrows the customer base to those who would know the answers on that specific topic.

But clues, in my opinion, isnt handing answers to anyone. But it does let the player enjoy the game without frustrating them to the point of quitting.

Jason
Posted By: JAVA

Re: Access Phenomenon - Beta release 2.0 - 12/06/05 12:09

i cant seem to download it

Re: Access Phenomenon - Beta release 2.0 - 12/06/05 12:29

Quote:

i cant seem to download it

It's annoying because I can't edit the first post to put up the new link, hard to find, but I did post above:

http://dev.rebelplanetcreations.com/downloads/apdemo2.exe

I have to say that this is a beta version, not an official demo, and is quite buggy, especially with game_load. The game is alot more stable now, I don't plan to release another public demo until I have finialised the game, and it is an official demo to download from the website.
Posted By: Kotakide

Re: Access Phenomenon - Beta release - 02/14/06 07:32

the greatest game I have ever seen made with GStudio.
It's almost have everything that I Imagine what it can be made with GS.
only one complain it's loading time takes too long in my computer
Posted By: mpdeveloper_B

Re: Access Phenomenon - Beta release - 02/23/06 18:11

the loading time acually takes long on any computer....might wanna fix that...although i have looked at this project for a while it's pretty good, the screens are pretty and the main character is nicely modeled and skinned, good job

ps. i like the bible puzzles, but even hard for me, and i read the bible...but i like the idea...

-Manslayer101
© 2024 lite-C Forums