Intense Ai: New Demo!!! Win A free copy.

Posted By: LarryLaffer

Intense Ai: New Demo!!! Win A free copy. - 09/28/05 17:09

Hello everyone,

After a long long time, I managed to get another demo up for you. There you go..

Intense Ai - Blast From The Past - 4.5 MB

For the faint of the heart, I've also made a slower version. Same rules, but both you and the bot are walking slower. Mouse sensitivity is also dropped.. a tad. However, you can 'cheat' by going faster than the bot, when keeping SHIFT pressed.

Intense Ai - Slower Blast From The Past - 4.5 MB

It's you and one bot, powered with Intense Ai(duh), fighting it to the death. First to reach 20 Frags wins.

I'm also setting up a little contest for fun. If you get to win the match you'll be rewarded by a "secret password". The first one to post this password here will get a free copy of Intense Ai - Standard version, when it's out.

I think I made the bot pretty tough. The idea is, it's easier to make a hard Ai weaker, than visa versa. Other than that, the match is fair. Both the player and the bot have the same HitPoints, same speed and the bot never 'cheats' in any way. It's like playing multiplayer with another human player.

I think I'm gonna post a pic now...

Old timers may also recognise the level. I practicaly ripped every texture, sound, model and the music from the old game Doom II. This is the first map, Entryway, which I initially made myself, and then Bilbo_bogimps redid it cause mine was horrible . All the doom weapons are also there and they behave exacly like in the original. I had to go without the BGF though, cause that thing needed one full day to be coded and I really didn't had the time.. So, sorry BFG fans, maybe in another version .

Ok guys, N'joy. Let me know what you think.
Aris
Posted By: Bilbo

Re: Intense Ai: New Demo!!! Win A free copy. - 09/28/05 17:20

omg thats way to fast lol, and unbalanced =) the bot can 1shot kill and u spawn next to him :S also movement needs slowing down. anther thing is he knows where you are ahead of time, he can eneter a room already facing you and aimed at you.
Posted By: Rhuarc

Re: Intense Ai: New Demo!!! Win A free copy. - 09/28/05 17:33

God that was tough.. That AI is way too fast, and the mouse sensitivity drove me nuts ^^.

"Three witches watch three swatch watches.
Which witch watch which swatch watch?"

-Rhuarc

Re: Intense Ai: New Demo!!! Win A free copy. - 09/28/05 17:54

Lol, good job again

I can slow the Ai down, but that means slowing down the Player too to keep it fair. Or do you guys want just the Ai slowed down?

Anyhow, this was the same speed back in the doom days. I liked how fast the game was in multiplayer so I literaly 'timed' the speed in the original doom and got the same one here.

If more people dislike the speed I'll make a slower version for all you p*ssies

and what should I do with the mouse sensitivity? Slow it down too?

Re: Intense Ai: New Demo!!! Win A free copy. - 09/28/05 18:00

i think its fair to slow both the bot and the player down to more modern standards cos thats what its more likely to be used for. sensitivity could be dropped a notch to.
Posted By: Zio

Re: Intense Ai: New Demo!!! Win A free copy. - 09/28/05 18:14

I don't think anything needs to be slower, the damage just needs to be balanced. The bot can one-shot-kill you with almost every gun, yet it takes two rocket launcher hits to kill him, making every other gun completely useless.

Arg Rhuarc, don't you already have AI? :P
Posted By: Rhuarc

Re: Intense Ai: New Demo!!! Win A free copy. - 09/28/05 18:14

The mouse actually seems somewhat non-time scaled. It screams 'templates' with the sound effects and weapons behaviour, so I would think it would be properly scaled... Might want to take a peek though- every time I play a templates-based game this is the case with the mouse.

Otherwise, drop sensitivity just a *tad*.

Game speed is also a bit fast in my opinion. And I swear that bot moves faster than me... might be time-correction? He can also aim much faster than the mouse allows, meaning he can grab a gun one second and be shooting me the next without the time to turn around.

Jumping would help a whole lot too I got killed probably 5 times because I thought I could jump around to avoid his shots only to remember my feet were glued to the ground. I was toast.

EDIT: @zio- see contest thread.

-Rhuarc
Posted By: Machinery_Frank

Re: Intense Ai: New Demo!!! Win A free copy. - 09/28/05 18:31

It is not playable. The bot is too strong.

But I like the idea very much. I would love to see a cool Doom 1 - clone with all these nice musics, effects and monsters from the original game and a better AI.

I would love to play that for sure.

Re: Intense Ai: New Demo!!! Win A free copy. - 09/28/05 18:47

@Zio: Shotgun deals a great deal of damage on short-range so the Bot can get a one-shot kill this way. Other than that, every weapon has its own advantages. I explain them a little bit here. They're perfectly balanced, cause I didn't do it, ID Software did.
The Rocket Launcher deals 100 damage, so if you needed two to kill the Bot, he most probably had the Green Armor on.

My favourite weapon for killing the bot is the shotgun, then plasma gun, then the rocket launcher. I'm not really fond of the chaingun though, I never did.

@Rhuarc: I use templates 6 for the animation, movement and physics. Doug did a terribly good job there and I couldn't think of a better system to start with. So far I'm very pleased with it and everything works great with the Ai. The mouse sensitivity suited my tastes as well, but if lots of people don't like it, I'll slow it down and make a new version.

As for the walking speed, it's the same. If you don't want to take my word for it, press F7 which will put you in the Bot's eyes. He just seems to be going crazy fast cause he's moving around all the time. I'm not really sure about the aiming though, I'll check it out later, right now I'm on a break

No jumping!!! The Bot can't jump so you don't jump either, those are the rules . When he's ready to jump, I'll enable it back for the player as well:).

After all, you couldn't jump or crouch in Doom II either . Why do you think I chose that game in the first place?

BTW, Intense Ai will work equally well for projects with or without Templates 6. I worked hard so it will be compatible both ways and will keep working independently of the version of Templates you're using or even if you're not using them at all.

I'm just saying that, cause I know it's an issue by many:)
Posted By: RAFU

Re: Intense Ai: New Demo!!! Win A free copy. - 09/28/05 18:50

Have to come in here guys. The bot's weapons are exactly the same as yours. The rules are exactly the same for both the bot and player. I have beta tested this thing all summer. And yes I have come close to winning the 20 frags. It is quite possable. But please be aware the weapons are the same, he runs out of ammo, and he runs out of armor. He needs to pick it up just like you.

Sorry but the only reason you can't beat the bot is because he must be a better player than you
You guys arn't going to stand for that now are you?
Posted By: Juppp

Re: Intense Ai: New Demo!!! Win A free copy. - 09/28/05 18:50

don't change anything, it's definetly possible to win, and it's good that it is that hard.

Re: Intense Ai: New Demo!!! Win A free copy. - 09/28/05 19:27

just won as well, to bad, i was too late

Re: Intense Ai: New Demo!!! Win A free copy. - 09/28/05 19:30

your not to late.... post it up with the correct caps in it and u win...

Re: Intense Ai: New Demo!!! Win A free copy. - 09/28/05 19:40

i'm toooo late, it's

"Three witches watch three Swatch watches.
Which witch watch which Swatch watch?"

Re: Intense Ai: New Demo!!! Win A free copy. - 09/28/05 19:43

now post it in the official contest thread lol it states over there that rurach (sorry for spelling!) doesnt want the ai cos he has his own and that the next person to post it will win.

Re: Intense Ai: New Demo!!! Win A free copy. - 09/28/05 19:49

Quote:

now post it in the official contest thread lol it states over there that rurach (sorry for spelling!) doesnt want the ai cos he has his own and that the next person to post it will win.

done

lol reading helps, huh ? omg i feel so stupid now... i guess the bot did beat up my brain very well :/
Posted By: Nicolas_B

Re: Intense Ai: New Demo!!! Win A free copy. - 09/28/05 20:19

wow. Thits its a veri good AI.
Good work. The bot its to inteligent
Posted By: Ithicus

Re: Intense Ai: New Demo!!! Win A free copy. - 09/28/05 20:47

LOL the thing is pretty smart. It never come after me if Im a good spot, but the second I move away, Im dead.

I suck at FPS's , so thats why I cant do it...

McLaren

Re: Intense Ai: New Demo!!! Win A free copy. - 09/28/05 21:18

Quote:

anther thing is he knows where you are ahead of time, he can eneter a room already facing you and aimed at you.

Try hiding somewhere, say outside, or in the corner of the blue room, and press F7. This will get you in Bot View. You'll see that if he has nothing better to do like go grab an armor or a better weapon, or ammo or health... he'll just wonder around the level trying to locate you.. He doesn't cheat..
Actually, when at Bot View, you can take a glimpse at what the bot is 'thinking' on the top right corner. He evaluates every possible goal with a number from 0-100. The Goal that gets the biggest score is what he's going to do(until he accomplishes that goal or changes his mind)

Re: Intense Ai: New Demo!!! Win A free copy. - 09/29/05 07:57

RAFU: That might be right. But I am quite sure that a Bot will always be a better player than me. He does not make mistakes. But I do. If I aim him I will shortly shoot beside him have to correct my aiming and try it again and woops - I am dead.

When I would create a real game with this superb AI, I would like to give also human players a chance. We are no machines.

You said that you came close to winning the 20 frags. And you tested that all summer. Hey, you should be the best man to recognize that this is way to hard when you try the demo only a few hours and I will not practice it all winter

Frank

Re: Intense Ai: New Demo!!! Win A free copy. - 09/29/05 08:07

Quote:

He does not make mistakes

he does

Quote:

You said that you came close to winning the 20 frags. And you tested that all summer. Hey, you should be the best man to recognize that this is way to hard when you try the demo only a few hours and I will not practice it all winter

i did beat the bot on my 5th attempt i believe, played about 30mins total.

I'm sure you can change the bot's accuracy as well in the released version to make it more friendly for other players.

Of course, this kind of AI would be not a nice start for "Level 1" in a game
But it's good to know that the AI can be that good to give the game also some real content and challenge for the player. I personally totally hate easy games with no challenge at all.

Re: Intense Ai: New Demo!!! Win A free copy. - 09/29/05 08:16

Ok there's a slower version for you all..

here it is

Intense Ai - Slower Blast From The Past - 4.5 MB

Walking so slow drove me nuts though, so I made SHIFT as a 'run' button. It works exacly like in Doom 2, if you wanted to run faster you'd had to have SHIFT pressed at all times. There was no Run Lock button.. I liked it, it simulates that it's more difficult to do other things while running..

Anyhow, the bot doesn't have this option so when you're pressing SHIFT you're actually cheating.. but knock yourself out:)

Mouse sensitivity is also lowered a bit..
Posted By: Lost

Re: Intense Ai: New Demo!!! Win A free copy. - 09/29/05 08:22

For some reason the game seems to want to move my view upwards and spin around and around nonstop. It's not jammed either because I've tried several times.

Re: Intense Ai: New Demo!!! Win A free copy. - 09/29/05 08:25

Don't get me wrong. I like this AI and will buy this tool when it's finished but I hate campers as much as you hate easy to beat games

Re: Intense Ai: New Demo!!! Win A free copy. - 09/29/05 08:32

Quote:

When I would create a real game with this superb AI, I would like to give also human players a chance. We are no machines.

As I've said already, 'The idea is, it's easier to make a hard Ai weaker, than visa versa'.

You can already change his accuracy through WED. I've set it to 'pretty darn good' so if he misses it will mostly be caused by the accuracy rating of the weapon, which is different than the accuracy value of the bot.

The architecture I'm using also makes it really easy to adjust level of difficulties. A difficulty of Easy can be achieved by allowing the AI to focus on goals that would otherwise be of low priority, and a high difficulty setting might have the AI focus excusively on the most pressing concerns with less regards for personality variations.

If you guys want me to make him easier, I can do that. But I spent last year trying to make him hard, so I wanted to show that first....

Re: Intense Ai: New Demo!!! Win A free copy. - 09/29/05 08:36

I absolutely understand it. I tried your second version and it is still too hard to have fun. I die, respawn and he still hast the rocket launcher

But as I said I am very interested in your AI. And this is only the beginning. I know that you have very interesting things on your todo list.

I would also be interested in seeing a demo with more but much weaker Bots.

Frank

Re: Intense Ai: New Demo!!! Win A free copy. - 09/29/05 08:38

Quote:

For some reason the game seems to want to move my view upwards and spin around and around nonstop. It's not jammed either because I've tried several times.

Strange... Try rebooting.. it has to be your computer, cause it didn't happen to anyone else..
Maybe you should also try the Slower version with the slower mouse sensitivity..

Re: Intense Ai: New Demo!!! Win A free copy. - 09/29/05 08:41

Quote:

absolutely understand it. I tried your second version and it is still too hard to have fun. I die, respawn and he still hast the rocket launcher

bah, it's very easy now with that slow speed...

honestly, i wouldn't change the AI at all.
But in the demo i guess you have to set his accuracy to 10% or even lower to make some people happy

Re: Intense Ai: New Demo!!! Win A free copy. - 09/29/05 08:45

Quote:

I would also be interested in seeing a demo with more but much weaker Bots.

Demos do take an awfull amount of time to complete, so I won't promise anything since I want to get the release version out too someday. But I definatelly know what you mean.

I took the challenge of a Player Vs Bot Arena because it's the most difficult one you can take. Getting lots of dumb versions of this bot and putting them on a single player level will be the easy stuff now..

Re: Intense Ai: New Demo!!! Win A free copy. - 09/29/05 08:48

Quote:

bah, it's very easy now with that slow speed...

Oh my goodness, you are quite a swank
Some of us are older than 30 and no FPS guys that train their reflexes 6 hours a day. Most of us are software developers that create games in their spare time.

But I don't want to start a flame I would just be a bit more happy when you show a little respect to others as we show respect to you.

Re: Intense Ai: New Demo!!! Win A free copy. - 09/29/05 08:58

Quote:

Oh my goodness, you are quite a swank
Some of us are older than 30 and no FPS guys that train their reflexes 6 hours a day. Most of us are software developers that create games in their spare time.

i'm 26, and the last FPS i played was this one and about 3 years ago, i rarely have time to focus on playing games due to work, family and yes programming, it's my job. So please don't think i'm a crazy fps gamer or something, cause i'm not. I'm a programmer, scripter, web developer and this is the true fun for me.
That being said, i don't have 6 hours a day either only to play FPS, i rather go out with my wife + kid.

Quote:

But I don't want to start a flame I would just be a bit more happy when you show a little respect to others as we show respect to you.

i never said anything bad about you nor did i disrespect you. Not sure what you mean. I'm sorry if i offended you anyways. I simply stated several times that the AI is fine and shouldn't get more weaknesses, of course give everyone the option to change the bot's AI (accuracy, run speed, etc.).

again, sorry anyways, in no way it was my intension to offend you.
Posted By: Orange Brat

Re: Intense Ai: New Demo!!! Win A free copy. - 09/29/05 09:36

Quote:

That sounds like a new templates quirk/bug. I haven't tried this demo, but the newest version of the templates cause this problem on my end(and others).
Posted By: YeaWhatever

Re: Intense Ai: New Demo!!! Win A free copy. - 09/29/05 13:59

So, when do you think the commercial release is going to be ready?

Re: Intense Ai: New Demo!!! Win A free copy. - 09/29/05 18:58

After I code 3d pathfinding so the Bots can jump, climb stairs etc...

But as I've stated in another thread, if I see lots of people that don't care about this functionality too much and they're levels are pretty much as flat as the one I showed you, then I can release it now and work on 3d pathfinding later..

But really... the ground must be really flat... One step or a 2-pixel-tall hill, and the bot will freak out...

Re: Intense Ai: New Demo!!! Win A free copy. - 09/29/05 21:19

Hmm. I've got a pretty decent pathfinding algorithm that handles flat surfaces with a height variation of no more than 100 quants. I will wait for your 3d solution (which is no trivial task). Good luck with that.

Re: Intense Ai: New Demo!!! Win A free copy. - 09/29/05 21:34

Thanks. I'll need it..
Posted By: OptimuS

Re: Intense Ai: New Demo!!! Win A free copy. - 09/29/05 23:09

Quote:

Quote:

Its from your optic mouse I have the same problem in the computer clubs here when I go to play Counter-Strike or anything that has bullets :P thats why my mouse isnt optic
Posted By: Lost

Re: Intense Ai: New Demo!!! Win A free copy. - 09/30/05 00:16

My mouse still has a rather long tail that goes into the back of my PC im afraid.

I'll give it another go tommorow but it really doesnt "feel" like a hardware issue.
Posted By: CBuilder2

Re: Intense Ai: New Demo!!! Win A free copy. - 09/30/05 02:04

Quote:

After I code 3d pathfinding so the Bots can jump, climb stairs etc...

But as I've stated in another thread, if I see lots of people that don't care about this functionality too much and they're levels are pretty much as flat as the one I showed you, then I can release it now and work on 3d pathfinding later..

But really... the ground must be really flat... One step or a 2-pixel-tall hill, and the bot will freak out...

LarryLaffer,

To avoid duplication, I started a poll in Intense Ai: Get the Demo Now!; that is the thread to which you referred.

CBuilder
Posted By: testDummy

Re: Intense Ai: New Demo!!! Win A free copy. - 09/30/05 04:06

Of course I tested it. Slightly.
Code:

Pros:
A. small download size
B. runs somewhat smoothly even on a slow machine
C. significant difficulty level
D. Bot doesn't know where player is at immediately, but instead, tranverses the level with intent.
E. Bot varies its weapon use and collects items. Bot retreats for more pickups.
F. Bot strafes. Strafing is an effective dodging manuever for the player.
Cons:
A. not pertinent visual: Crosshair is too small and barely visible in the heat of battle.
B. not pertinent visual: dis-embodied muzzle-flash syndrome; A distracting feature?
C. urinating in corner hiccup; Bot stands in corner looking at wall while being shot in the back for approx. 6 seconds.
D. The difficulty level may be too severe and may produce frustration.
E. Bot doesn't gloat or taunt.
F. Bot strafes too often and thus appears unnatural. Strafing for the bot is more effective than strafing for the player. See A.

I wish I could earn a free copy or , at the very least, learn something new.
(I trade you one slightly used "whitehouse" level, complete with a George W. Bush, secret service men and Dick Chaney.)

Re: Intense Ai: New Demo!!! Win A free copy. - 09/30/05 10:09

Hey testDummy, I guess you don't have that nickname for nothing, you pulled a nice test there..

Con C: I won't lie to you, I saw this happened on my machine too. Because(I'm guessing) you and me both have slow machines, the bot tried to pathfind somewhere far, so to keep the pc from lagging he splitted the pathfinding load between frames, thus taking him a while before he decided to move. This will be fixed with the new 3d Pathfinding

Con E: Funny you mention that, I have some really cool taunt animations on that model and I wanted to make a taunting goal, but I didn't had time. I won't reveal to much though, maybe I'll do it and put it in another demo along with 3d pathfinding and the release version.

Con F: No it doesn't.. It's a very effective and legit method for dodging.. It may appear unnatural to an old WW2 game(so I'll have different attack tactics available in the release version) but for an Arena game I think it's good. This tactic is called Circle Of Death.. I'm not making the name up my a$$, it really exists:)

Th rest cons I don't care, lol.. crosshairs and stuff like that, you can change through WED or whatever.. I'm making the Ai here.. and I explained about the difficulty before...

Quote:

I wish I could earn a free copy or , at the very least, learn something new.
(I trade you one slightly used "whitehouse" level, complete with a George W. Bush, secret service men and Dick Chaney.)

oh I don't know.. The free copy was meant to go to the person who beats the level and it already went to juppp. But I'll let you know if I get to need that WhiteHouse level later.. it sounds fun... If I do, I'll trade you a copy for it..

cheers,
Aris

PS: Lost, optical mouses have tails as well. You're talking about a wireless mouse. Sometimes optic mouses do that, but I doubt they'd do it every single time you open my demo
Posted By: Error014

Re: Intense Ai: New Demo!!! Win A free copy. - 10/02/05 13:23

Lost, do you use a joystick or gamepad? If so, try unplugging it.

I remember that I had a similar problem in ancient times and I solved it like that.
Posted By: NITRO777

Re: Intense Ai: New Demo!!![OFF TOPIC] - 10/02/05 16:39

Did someone attach a file to this thread title?
Everytime I hit the link I get a network password dialog box to a place called "shared.poizonsrealm.com"

I looked up the www.poizonsrealm.com and it is all German.

Anybody else getting this?

Re: Intense Ai: New Demo!!![OFF TOPIC] - 10/02/05 16:44

I got it too..

I didn't figure out it came from this page though, I open lots of pages at the same time...

I looked at the Source and it's Juppp's Image Link. We get to insert a UserName ans Password cause he's server is asking for permission or something..

Re: Intense Ai: New Demo!!![OFF TOPIC] - 10/02/05 21:06

haha damn sorry, just protected the whole server last night.. i will fix it

EDIT: fixed
Posted By: Tester

Re: Intense Ai: New Demo!!![OFF TOPIC] - 10/25/05 12:12

Hi Larry,
it's about one year ago that I was interested in your game AI.
I have downloaded all your demos and they are realy working good.
What do you think when you will release a version of your Intense AI ?

Re: Intense Ai: New Demo!!![OFF TOPIC] - 10/25/05 13:50

Hi!

I'm hoping somewhere within this month. It might be closer than that but I try to put longer deadlines that will be easier for me to actually keep them.

Here's a rough plan of what I have scheduled until the release of the Standard version of Intense Ai:

New 3d Pathfinding. DONE
Collision avoidance. 1-2 days work
Basic Hearing-Seeing-Feeling Senses. 3-4 days work
Release of New Demo with player + 2 Ally Bots against several Enemies in a WW2 Scenario Game. (Something like Call of Duty. More Realistic Behavior and easier Bots than last demo. Expected to have at least 20-30 Enemies inside to prove that Intense Ai can handle a big number of Bots simutaneously with no fps drop.) Level half way there. And will take me less than a day to put everything together..
Tidy Up Code, Comments, etc.. 1-2 days work..
Type Documentation, Tutorials, Optimise WED Customisable Panels. 3-4 days work.
Beta Test, debugging. 1-2 days work..

So you see, I'm getting there... wish me luck, and keep checking in for more updates. We'll also have a Website in a few days featuring all Intense Illusions products and a nice forum where I'll also give support for Intense Ai.

Cheers all,
Aris

Re: Intense Ai: New Demo!!![OFF TOPIC] - 10/25/05 14:05

Hi Larry,

I am sure that I speak for everyone here when I say that I cannot wait. A good, plugable AI has been needed for a long time. Let's face it, AI is the quite possibly the most challengine aspect of game writing, especially if it can handle all three dimensions. I am really looking forward to seeing your project in action.

Joe

Re: Intense Ai: New Demo!!![OFF TOPIC] - 10/27/05 13:09

Aris,

I am looking forward to it as well. I was happy to learn you made it configurable in WED like the A6 templates.
Stop reading postings in the forum; get back to work!

CBuilder

Re: Intense Ai: New Demo!!![OFF TOPIC] - 10/28/05 14:58

Hey guys,

I just made a demo of the Pathfinding I did for Intense Ai to show to the good people at CIDER and I thought I'd post it here too.

Here's a screenie:

This is an implementation of the Points Of Visibility+Dijkstra technique and I'll be using it for the Standard and Extra Versions of Intense Ai.
Versions from Commercial and above will be using a more advanced NavMesh+A* technique which doesn't require Node Placement at level design and is much more robust in complex levels.

The NavMesh technique is what I was aiming to do for the Standard version since I'm not too fond of precompiled Nodes and all, but I figured out it would push the release date of the Standard version at least 2 months behind..

Anyhow, having said that, besides from having to place nodes manually, this is a really fast pathfinding implementation which will support lots and lots of Bots with no problem at all and will produce excellent paths. In addition, I've made sure to keep the phase of Placing Nodes as easy as possible. All you have to do is scatter around some node models in your level and you're good to go. No need to define connections, edges, skills or anything else which takes most of your time. All this is done automatically. I'm also working on the idea of a Node Editor. If I see that this is nesseccery I'll have to implement that too.

So here's the demo.

At startup, you'll get to see the full graph created.
Green things are the nodes.
Red lines are the Edges.
X marks the spot.

By left-clicking you get the agent to move there.
by Pressing F7 you get to toggle between top view and First Person View.

Have fun.

Aris

Re: Intense Ai: New Demo!!![OFF TOPIC] - 10/28/05 15:16

Hi Larry,

I am wondering if this works with map entities, for instance, if a maze was a map entity.

Re: Intense Ai: New Demo!!![OFF TOPIC] - 10/28/05 16:32

sure, no problem. It will work with anything, blocks, terrain, map entities, MDLs.. So for example, you can even have your whole level as an MDL, and(provided the nodes are placed correctly), the pathfinding will work just fine..

Ironically, that's why I couldn't go with a NavMesh for the Standard version. I've figured out how to handle a blocked level but terrains and map entities gave me great trouble, so I'll need a few months to work around that problem. Until then, I'll stick with Points of Visibility pathfinding.

Re: Intense Ai: New Demo!!![OFF TOPIC] - 10/28/05 16:47

Great. I am happy about this. When can we expect the first release of this AI? I am really looking forward to this!

Re: Intense Ai: New Demo!!![OFF TOPIC] - 10/28/05 17:18

well, like I said, I'm hoping somewhere within this month..

Any other feature that you Reaaally need for the Standard version that I haven't mentioned, now is the time to tell me, and I'll see what I can do..

Right now, the features I've designed for Intense Ai Standard go something like that:

***IMPLEMENTED***
3d Pathfinding
Melee/Ranged Combat Tactics
Take Cover Tactics
Patrol/Guard Tactics
Multiple Stances(Stand, Crouch, Crawl)
Multiple Movements(Walk Forward/Backward, Run, Turn, Strafe)
Enviroment Aware
Picking Up Items(Weapons, Ammo, Healthkits, Armor,)
Multiple Team Alliances
Friendly Bots
Finite State Machine
Goal Oriented Desicion Making
Goal Oriented Action Planning
Configurable Weapons
Configurable Animations
Configurable Attributes(HP, Armor, Accuracy, Speed, etc)
Plug And Play(WED Customisable Panels)
Template 6 Friendly
Latest Engine Technology (New collision System, blah blah)
Combatible With all A6 Versions
No DLLs.

***TODO***
Collision avoidance.(halfway there)
Basic Hearing-Seeing-Feeling Senses

Let me know if you need anything else...

Cheers,
Aris
Posted By: Daedelus

Re: Intense Ai: New Demo!!![OFF TOPIC] - 10/28/05 23:53

Ill be first in line to buy this AI.
I think the items you have covered in your list so far sound perfect for my needs. I love the idea of WED Customisable Panels.
The only thing I'd add though are some nice blood effects for all editions.

Re: Intense Ai: New Demo!!![OFF TOPIC] - 10/29/05 00:07

Will do.. I remember DragonXdark had some nice blood effects he'd wanted to donate. I guess I'll give it a shot.

and btw, Happy Birthday:) and what are you doing here anyway, today is your birthday, go out and get drunk!

Re: Intense Ai: New Demo!!![OFF TOPIC] - 10/29/05 00:17

Thanks Larry that would be cool.. And yeah, Im about to

Re: Intense Ai: New Demo!!! - 10/29/05 01:19

Aris,

Very interesting demo! I'm looking forward to playing with the AI when you are finished.

CBuilder

Re: Intense Ai: New Demo!!! - 10/29/05 08:25

Larry, whats about when I will make a multiplayer game ?
Is it possible to use your AI in a multiplayer game enviroment ?

Michael

Re: Intense Ai: New Demo!!! - 10/29/05 09:35

Thanks everyone,

Tester, I'll have to think about that.. Most probably it won't be too much of a hussle to make the Bots update their data to the network. Maybe it's being done already cause I use ent_creates and not ent_createlocals... I'll have a look at it if I have some time..
maybe some of the multiplayer gurus can give me some tips as to how tough that will be...

Re: Intense Ai: New Demo!!! - 10/29/05 16:27

Quote:

Thanks everyone,

Tester, I'll have to think about that.. Most probably it won't be too much of a hussle to make the Bots update their data to the network. Maybe it's being done already cause I use ent_creates and not ent_createlocals... I'll have a look at it if I have some time..
maybe some of the multiplayer gurus can give me some tips as to how tough that will be...

Aris,

I would suggest you finish what you are working on now and release it. Another AI library, which I will not name, had issues with the creator focusing on the "higher" version and additional features while ignoring bugs in the released core of the "lower" version. If I were building it, I would focus on the core, resolving any bugs and building a good reputation.

CBuilder

Re: Intense Ai: New Demo!!! - 10/29/05 18:14

Quote:

Let me know if you need anything else...

Yes. I probably need a good documentation and a sample level.

Re: Intense Ai: New Demo!!! - 10/29/05 19:28

Don't worry guys, I'm not releasing anything until I'm 100% sure it works great first. I'm just checking around to see what people need, incase I'll have to rethink the features I'll make for each version.

Documentation and a sample level will definatelly be there. I'm also thinking about making a small Tutorial that gets you to install Intense Ai for your application as well(through WED, no scriping at all).

getting closer by the day btw.. Not much more to do. I'm now creating a test level, put the Intense Ai in and see what more features I'll need to make for a simple FPS game with Allys. Actually, I'm doing that tomorrow, too drunk now..

Cheers all
Posted By: Andreas C

Re: Intense Ai: New Demo!!! - 10/29/05 20:02

Sorry if I missed it reading through this post, but have you decided yet on a price tag for this ?

Cheers,
Andreas
Posted By: Silent_Assassin

Re: Intense Ai: New Demo!!! - 10/30/05 02:43

yeah hopefully it aint to expensive cus im thinking about buying this product
Posted By: FoxHound

Re: Intense Ai: New Demo!!! - 10/30/05 07:57

To find the price you simply need to know how much beer he drank through the time it took to develop by how many versions he will sell.

He did it all for the beer... wait, that's not how that song goes.

Larry, all the demos you have shown are shooters. You have melee weapons in it but no demos with that. I'm really looking foward to seeing how they look in action.

Re: Intense Ai: New Demo!!! - 10/30/05 11:16

Lol FoxHound!!

it's true though...

So I've figured out the first version will be somewhere like 29.99 EUR so it will be affordable by everyone(and enough to cover my beer costs). Following versions will follow the same pricing system as Gstudio's, and I'm stealing their names as well.. Standard, Extra, Commercial and Proffesional.. Unlike Gstudio though, the Upgrade cost from one version to the other will only be the difference of prices from the version you own to the version you're buying. So, if Standard is 29.99 eur and Extra is 39.99 eur, then you'll only need to pay 10 eur to upgrade, thus not losing any money for buying Standard first..

FoxHound, I had a chainsaw in the latest demo, but the Bot didn't really used it. You see, I've placed it near other cool weapons(shotgun,rocket launcher, etc) so the bot would always go for those instead. You're right though, I'll show some Bots using melee weapons in the next demo..

Re: Intense Ai: New Demo!!! - 10/30/05 12:01

I would worry about a bot who brought a chainsaw to a gun fight.

I'm really interested in seeing allys fighitng with me against multi melee enemies.

I'm thinking Pro should be about 99eur or so. I'm willing to spend a hundred bucks on a good working AI like this.
Posted By: Mondivirtuali

Re: Intense Ai: New Demo!!! - 10/30/05 12:27

Quote:

Lol FoxHound!!

it's true though...

So I've figured out the first version will be somewhere like 29.99 EUR so it will be affordable by everyone(and enough to cover my beer costs). Following versions will follow the same pricing system as Gstudio's, and I'm stealing their names as well.. Standard, Extra, Commercial and Proffesional.. Unlike Gstudio though, the Upgrade cost from one version to the other will only be the difference of prices from the version you own to the version you're buying. So, if Standard is 29.99 eur and Extra is 39.99 eur, then you'll only need to pay 10 eur to upgrade, thus not losing any money for buying Standard first..

FoxHound, I had a chainsaw in the latest demo, but the Bot didn't really used it. You see, I've placed it near other cool weapons(shotgun,rocket launcher, etc) so the bot would always go for those instead. You're right though, I'll show some Bots using melee weapons in the next demo..

Good thing.

Re: Intense Ai: New Demo!!! - 10/30/05 16:02

Quote:

I'm really interested in seeing allys fighitng with me against multi melee enemies.

building a zombie game there, are we?

I guess I could throw a battle like that.. although it would look kinda stupid since I use WW2 models, and no soldier would go out fighting with melee weapons..

Quote:

I'm thinking Pro should be about 99eur or so

Pro version seems really far away from now, so I have no idea.. the price all depends on the quality of the features I'll put into it..

Re: Intense Ai: New Demo!!! - 10/30/05 16:04

nah, medevil type game. Bad guys comming at you with swords and axes.

Re: Intense Ai: New Demo!!! - 11/04/05 23:12

Aris,

Any progress on this?

Thanks,

CBuilder

Re: Intense Ai: New Demo!!! - 11/05/05 14:10

Sure, Basic Hearing-Seeing-Feeling Senses is Done. Some new Goals have been made(that I didn't needed for the previous Arena style demo, but I need with a realistic game with Allys), like FollowLeader, Patrol, Guard etc, etc.

I'm now still working on the collision avoidance(I wanna get it perfect the first time, cause it becomes extremely important later with 20+ bots inside) and also optimising my Points of Visibility Graph a bit(don't create an edge between two waypoints if there's a huge lava pit in the middle, but do create an edge if there's an obstacle that you can step on or jump it). Things like that...

Collision avoidance is the hardest part left. once this is done, then I'm left with tidying up code, writting documentations and stuff like that.. Hopefully I won't step on my -one month- deadline..

cheers everyone. I'll keep you updated.
Aris
Posted By: JimFox

Re: Intense Ai: New Demo!!! - 11/05/05 15:52

Hi Aris,
How do you handle the problem of two bots getting stuck together with both unable to move?
I know about event_stuck, but am not sure that is the best answer.
One thing for sure, this can destroy the illusion of intelligence!!
I look forward with interest to seeing your AI completed.
Best regards,
Jim

Re: Intense Ai: New Demo!!! - 11/05/05 21:35

That's a really complicated subject that lots of developers get stuck with sooner or later.

Most commercial Titles 'cheat' when it comes to that. Ever Bot is passable with the other Bots, but they make sure that you never actually witness a Bot actually walking through another one. Of a collision is detected, the other bot will have a 'stepping out of the way' animation and move a little to preserve the illusion of intelligence. Also, a nice collision avoidance will help things as well, since no Bot will actually walk towards another one in the first place.

So the best thing to do is keep a nice collision avoidance system for all your bots and in the unlikely(but possible) event that to Bots get stuck, you set them passable with each other to avoid FPS drops and other nasty things like that. I know for sure that the game "The Thing" followed the exact same procedure, and I'm sure many others did too.

I'll let you guys know how my collision avoidance goes on. I don't like to 'cheat' in any way so I'll only do the passable thing if everything else fails or doesn't work as expected.

Cheers,
Aris
Posted By: capanno

Re: Intense Ai: New Demo!!! - 11/08/05 12:21

Hi Larry,

Im glad to see your still doing this. Hope to see something soon!

capanno

Re: Intense Ai: New Demo!!! - 11/09/05 05:04

Concerning the Doom arena demo, did the bot aim at average "mouse" speed? In other words, was the speed in which the bot turned and aimed its "crosshair" on its target, near the speed it would take a player to do the same with a mouse?

Assuming that the player possesses a projectile weapon, how would you go about increasing difficulty for AI entities that can only use melee, hand-to-hand combat type attacks against the player? Obviously, using "pack" strategies and having the entities attack en masse would probably increase the chances of successful attacks. For single units, it might seem that attacks would be more successful, if the attacking entity tried to remain in the player's blind spots, but the annoyance factor for players might be too high for such a tactic. The appearance of attacking entities resorting to a ridiculous amount of strafing at incredulous speeds would be undesirable. What alternate tactics would you implement or have you implemented for this circumstance?

Re: Intense Ai: New Demo!!! - 11/09/05 06:47

Im sure Aris can think of a way

Re: Intense Ai: New Demo!!! - 11/09/05 15:34

testDummy : You can set both the player's and the Bot's aiming speed. I checked again when Rhuarc mentioned that a few weeks ago, and player's aim speed was set slower to help with mouse sensitivity(many people complained about it).
The arena demo was there to let the Bots prove to you how tough they can get. In a realistic game you can set the aiming speed much lower for a more human-like behavior.

Since I've mentioned that, here's a few things I keep in my mind while trying to implement more realistic behavior in the next demo. Of course, all these are configurable through WED so you can make it easier or harder, depending on your game needs.

It's a bunch of rules that people like to call 'Artificial Stupidity: The Art of Intentional Mistakes'.

Move Before Firing: NPCs should move the first time they see the player rather than shoot them(Nothing is more distrurbing than walking into a new room or arena and being immediately shot by a Bot).

Be Visible: Although in real-life combat situations, opponents do their best to remain invisible, in the game world great camouflage makes for bad gameplay. Pixel scrubbing while searching for opponents is not an enjoyable experience, so think twice about how you're going to texture your Bots.

Have Horrible Aim: Abundant gunfire is desirable, as it keeps players on the move and the tension high, thus increasing the pace of the game. However, abundant gunfire is undesirable if the player dies too quickly.

Miss the First Time: It is not fun to suddenly and unexpectedly take large amounds of damage. In general, players often feel cheated in such situations.Missing the first time gives the player a second to react and maintains a high level of tension.

Warn the player: Either visually, by playing a short "about-to-attack" animation or aurally by playing a sound(a beep, gun click etc) or having a human opponent announce "Gotcha!" or "Take This". Making a sound is very important in the case you mentioned -the melee guy(ninja) attacking from blind spots.

Attack "Kung-Fu" Style: A technique that Half Life Really Reaally used.. Even if there's a swarm of enemies around, only 2 or 3 are allowed to attack the player, while the others do secondary goals like Reload, Take Cover, etc..

Tell the Player what you are doing: When a player a witnesses an NPC's actions, it can be difficult for the player to interpret what the NPC is actually doing. Is a running opponent going for cover, getting reinforcements, doing a flanking maneuver, or just running aimlessly trying not to get shot? Again, a Bot might yell, "Flanking!" or "Cover me!" or "Retreat" to his friends when performing an action, to help the player understand.

React to mistakes: Again, at Half-Life beta-testing phase, it was discovered that occasionally when a player threw a grenade at a group of NPCs, Half-Life's pathfinding algorithm was unable to find a path for all of the NPCs to escape. Rather than redesigning the pathfinding system, Valve's solution was to detect when the problm occured and play specialty animations of ther trapped marines crouching down and putting their hands over their heads. This was very well received by the players, as it added to the character of the game.

Pull back at the last minute: The NPCs will attack vigorously until the player is near death. The player's health and resources should be pushed to the limit but not beyond. Once the player has reached the edge, the AI will pull back, attack less effectively and become easier to kill. After winning, a player experiencing this scenario really feels like he accomplished something.

I'm not saying Im getting all these in Intense Ai right now, I just typed them cause I thought they might be a nice read for some and I'll be implementing most of them as an optional thing through WED eventually. Hopefully, when all versions of Intense Ai have been built, most of these tricks could be selected through WED.

About the melee thing, although I will not have team-tactics in the Standard version, I should be able to get quite effective melee enemies, always regarding to the 'artificial stupidity tricks' of course.. So from what I've said already, given that I have enough time for this, you might be able to see the 'ninja' guy jump out besides you, warn you audiably with a phrase "You're Dead now! haha!" and then attempt to attack you.

Every feature I'll make for Intense Ai standard, I'll make sure to use it in the next demo I'm building, so you'll be able to see how many features I actually managed to pull through.

Hope I answered your questions within all this mumbling.. lol
Aris
Posted By: DCorwin

Re: Intense Ai: New Demo!!! - 11/09/05 17:40

I know you've touched on this before, but could you recap what algorhythms you're using for the pathfinding routines? I was just going over George's AUM articles on Pefect AI and it's really impressive, so I'm wondering if you're building on those concepts, or going a different direction, etc.

I'm looking forward to this addon!

Re: Intense Ai: New Demo!!! - 11/09/05 18:41

For meelee attacks: zombies , goblins and ogres are stupid and not use tactics, so I suggest you to release a demo with a solid , basic melee attacks .
Speaking of zombies, what about hitpoints?

Re: Intense Ai: New Demo!!! - 11/09/05 20:56

Quote:

I know you've touched on this before, but could you recap what algorhythms you're using for the pathfinding routines? I was just going over George's AUM articles on Pefect AI and it's really impressive, so I'm wondering if you're building on those concepts, or going a different direction, etc.

Sure. I use Dijkstra and Points of Visibility for Pathfinding. I've posted a demo somewhere in this thread...<looking>
here it is: http://www.coniserver.net/ubbthreads/showthreaded.php?Cat=0&Number=585083&page=0&vc=1

although I have only browsed through the Perfect Ai tutorial, I think we're using the same Techniques. I've read he also uses Points Of Visibility(maybe he calls it waypoints or nodes?) and a combination of Dijsktra and A*? lol, I dunno how he did that, A* is essentially Dijkstra with heuristics(two more lines of code in the algorithm), so does he uses heuristics or not? I don't know...

Anyhow, the differences between Perfect Ai and mine is that I don't precalculate all the possible paths between all nodes, but I let Dijkstra calculate every path at runtime. Since this requires no Line of Site checks(c_trace), Dijkstra works instantly, even with hundreds of bots inside. By doing the Dijkstra at runtime though, I get to turn some Nodes OFF and ON if I like, and let the algorithm do a new search with the modified search space(turned off Nodes). This way I can represent a Door closing and opening, a wall being demolished and generally more dynamic enviroments, that you won't be able to do with precalculated paths.

The other thing that may differ from Perfect AI is, I'm not sure how George is handling 3d enviroments. A Line of Sight between two waypoints for example, doesn't guarantee that it is or it's not possible for an agent to walk between these two waypoints. for example..

Code:

-
A / \ B
---- ---

in that example, there's no LOS between waypoints A and B, but an agent may still be able to climb/jump over that hill.

and again..

Code:

_A__ __B_
| | | |
| | | |
| |LAVA| |

and again in this case, there is los between A and B, but if the agent attempts to walk he'll fall into the hot lava..

So more computation needs to be done when precompiling the graph than simple LOS checks.

Here's how my graph looks like in a 3d level

Each edge(red line) doesn't actually represent the actualy path between two points, but it merely indicates that there actually is one, although it may appear that a straight LOS check could have predicted otherwise.

And here's a path. Hopefully you can see the red line, the little gray guy in the middle of the screen and the big red X with the hand pointer where I ordered the bot to move to.

Other than that, I think Intense Ai and Perfect Ai are pretty much based on the same pathfinding algorithm. I intend to scrap Points of Visibility altogether though and Work on a NavMesh Pathfinding for better flexibility, in the later versions of Intense Ai.

Quote:

For meelee attacks: zombies , goblins and ogres are stupid and not use tactics, so I suggest you to release a demo with a solid , basic melee attacks .

will do..

Quote:

Speaking of zombies, what about hitpoints?

You mean those hitzones that identify where you hit your enemy? There aren't any in the Standard version. Hopefully I'll have time to work on it in later versions. I know it's a really important feature for some people..
Posted By: DCorwin

Re: Intense Ai: New Demo!!! - 11/09/05 21:09

Wow, looks awesome! What are you doing sitting around reading these forums?! Get busy!

(but answer this question first )

As far as hit-areas of models and enemy behaviors, etc, I assume that's pretty customizable and we can make our own version while using your pathfinding foundation?

Re: Intense Ai: New Demo!!! - 11/09/05 21:47

Hi Aris
I mean you shoot at the zombie in its body or limbs and it don't get any damage, then you shoot him in the head and bang! it died.
Half life (They Hunger) does use this system (Doom 3 ,much more advance game does not..you shoot a zombie in its leg and it died, really annoying).

But i am thinking..is it possible to attach another model to the first model , the one powered to the AI system? The second model is simple ..the head , that is vulnerable,while the first model, the zombie body ( the one who walks, fights ) is nearly invulnerable.
Player has to defend himself by the attack of the zombie body model and has to hit the zombie (head model) in order to kill the hideous creature.

In this way the illusion could be perfect without too much effort.
So, the body.mdl has the action with meele combat , the head has a simple "if is hit then health=health-500 and if health =0 then body.mld play death animation.
The problem is that I am a newbie. I got a lot of ideas but too much trouble to realize them.

Re: Intense Ai: New Demo!!! - 11/10/05 05:31

this stuff is way beyond me at the moment

Re: Intense Ai: New Demo!!! - 11/13/05 00:54

Aris,

This sounds very cool; it looks like you are considering a vast array of possibilities for the level geometry. I look forward to it being released!

CBuilder
Posted By: XNASorcerer

Re: Intense Ai: New Demo!!! - 11/14/05 15:01

I hope you don't follow the same roads that Mythic did. Even because, for the that I have been seeing, I intend to buy all of the versions that will come out. It is looking good!!:)
Posted By: Matt_Aufderheide

Re: Intense Ai: New Demo!!! - 11/14/05 15:49

What's the deal with this AI.. all it does is imediately show up and kill you.. I dont get what the point of it is. The bot just cruises around a level and always knows where you are, and kills you instantly.

I dont what it's doing behind the scenes, but to me this is exactly what a bot shouldn't do. I tried many times and could never even hit the thing...

Re: Intense Ai: New Demo!!! - 11/14/05 17:04

Quote:

What's the deal with this AI.. all it does is imediately show up and kill you.. I dont get what the point of it is. The bot just cruises around a level and always knows where you are, and kills you instantly.

I dont what it's doing behind the scenes, but to me this is exactly what a bot shouldn't do. I tried many times and could never even hit the thing...

The bot kills you because the damage is to strong. Try to go to an open area. You will have more chances to kill him there.

Re: Intense Ai: New Demo!!! - 11/14/05 17:44

Yeah but the bot never misses, always shoots immediately when he sees you, seems to know where you are.. I'm sure the pathfinding and such work well, it's the behavior that's the problem..bots arent supposed to be superhuman..

Re: Intense Ai: New Demo!!! - 11/15/05 01:26

it isn't. If you followed this thread from the beginning, we had this discussion before.. I've explained that the Bot doesn't cheat, it doesn't know where you are, and it uses the same attributes(speed, health, weapon damage, weapon accuracy) as the player. maybe you want to try hiding somewhere and press F7 to see through the Bot's eyes. You'll see he's playing like a player would.. he's just a real good one..

Keep an eye for the new demo which will feature more realistic bots, plus Ally bots that fight with you... It should be out already actually, but I keep spending time trying to make the pathfinding and collision avoidance perfect for every situation possible. And I quote Michael Booth when talking about his CS Bot in GDC: "Navigation is Hell!".

Getting closer and closer though. Hopefully, by tomorrow I'll be able to throw the player with 2-3 allys and 10-20 enemies in a really complex 3d level, and everything will behave normally.. If it does, I'll make a new demo for you all as well!

Sorcerer: There's no way in hell I'm giving up on my products.. Of course, I'm not promising that all Intense Ai versions will be out. Actually there's a strong chance that if the Standard version goes horribly, I won't continue the series. But even if I don't, I'll keep giving support for it and make new updates regularly, like I did with Intense Dialogues. My goal is to make all Intense Ai versions planned, cause I'm really really excited working on this project, so I really hope the first version does go well..

Re: Intense Ai: New Demo!!! - 11/15/05 01:36

@Matt_Aufderheide yeah i know the bot is hard i can only just beat him myself, heres a little tip go find the weapon that shoots them little plasma balls and hang around in the open area there and wait for him to come to you..

When he decides to show up, nearly all the time he will come into the room with a rocket launcher (thats like his favourite weapon) and then just unload every thing at him with the plasma gun while still dodging his missiles.. i found that handy to just get some good kills in on him..

Also you can grab the shotgun and when he runs out of ammo he will run away to either pick up more ammo or go get the armour. Thats when you run behind him and shoot him in the back with the shotgun. But make sure that you kill him before he gets to whatever it is hes after, cus once he gets it he will turn around and kill you pretty much instantly :d

Try these to options and see how many kills you can get out on him

Re: Intense Ai: New Demo!!! - 11/15/05 01:50

DCorwin & Mondivirtuali, I nearly missed your posts. I'm keeping the code nice and tidy with comments everywhere, no DLLs of course and enough documentation to give you a grasp of how everything works. So you're free to make any implementations you want before I create my own hitzones for some later version.. I'm not sure if this 'head'-'body' idea is the best though. You see, the Bot must be aware of it's full body to be at his best effeciency. If the bot is actually a headless body, it won't care if it's 'attached' head is exposed, when trying to sneak around the player and may get seen. Likewise, it may consider a passage to be tall enough for it to walk through, while in reality he'll be taller than he thinks cause he's not considering his head.

Email me when intense Ai is out so I can give you some tips on how to go with this.. I think there are some good tutorials about Hit-zones out there though.. I think in Alain's fighting tutorial??

Re: Intense Ai: New Demo!!! - 11/15/05 02:32

Silent_Assassin, excellent kill-the-bot-guide, I couldn't have done better myself . Just one thing, I've set his favourite weapon to be the plasma, not rocket launcher(you can toggle a value in WED for every weapon) but I guess since you always make sure to get the plasma gun yourself, the Bot decides to get the next available good weapon instead.

Re: Intense Ai: New Demo!!! - 11/15/05 05:54

ummm just a question for anyone whos played the demo, has anyone managed to beat the bot 20 - 0 ???

Re: Intense Ai: New Demo!!! - 11/28/05 10:24

Larry,
just a quick note to the progress of Intense AI, what do you expect is a beta
release date ? You said, you will have a version this month....

Re: Intense Ai: New Demo!!! - 11/28/05 11:47

yeah what Tester said

Re: Intense Ai: New Demo!!! - 11/29/05 06:01

Yeah I know, but it ain't happening. My calculations were correct and everything but I hadn't counted the university exams coming on next week. I stopped working on Intense Ai for 10 days now, and I'll get back to it after 10th of December.
Then, according to my plans, I'll need no more than two weeks to get everything done. I really don't want to give out deadlines though, cause every time I do, I get to be in a place like now where I have to say "I'm sorry, it ain't gonna happen cause of bluh.. wait for 5 more years.." etc..

On the bright side, I'm terribly close now! All it's left more or less, is writting documentation, fix some rare bugs here and there, comment the code, polish the WED Customization Panels and it's done. I even thought about building a pre-release but I hardly have time to post this message right now, I can't spend any time in anything than studying cause I'm worried about failing the year. After 10th of December though I'll get a good 1 month of holidays which will all be spended on finishing IaI and giving support for it.

Cheers All and thanks for waiting,
Aris

Re: Intense Ai: New Demo!!! - 12/14/05 00:10

Larry,

How are things coming along?

CBuilder

Re: Intense Ai: New Demo!!! - 12/14/05 15:46

Not bad. I'm in the proccess of polishing things and starting on the WED custoizable panels. While polishing, I've also start working on the first official project built with Intense Ai. It will be the player escaping from a jailhouse, and finding fellow prisoners to fight with you on your way out... Something simple as that. The point of making this is making sure that Intense Ai is ready to help you build off an fps game from scratch. When i see that there's something missing while trying to build that game, I fix it and go on.

When that little game is done, Intense ai will be done as well. I'm on holidays now back in Greece, and Intense Ai is all i do all day, so I'm hoping to get it done really soon.

I'll keep you guys updated,
Aris

Re: Intense Ai: New Demo!!! - 12/14/05 16:49

Melee weapon bad guys please! Some badguys could come at you with knight sticks.

Re: Intense Ai: New Demo!!! - 12/14/05 19:42

roger that
Posted By: bupaje

Re: Intense Ai: New Demo!!! - 12/14/05 23:46

Hi Aris. Good to see this coming along, sounds really interesting. I wish you luck with this (and with school).

I haven't played many shooters (not even Quake if you can believe it) so don't know if this is an idea you already considered but I was wondering if you can use your enemy and ally ai's to create the equivalent of surveliance devices; basically enemies or allies without the attack ability. So this way your player could have a couple of sensors he could fire -say in an area that he thinks might be a trap- and he shoots the sensor down the hall. The sensor would act as one of his allies, maybe with limited range but might add to his line of sight so he now sees the guy hiding around the corner. Similar version could be used to 'power' electric eyes, motion detectors, security cameras or even attached to enemy vehicles.

All the best.

Re: Intense Ai: New Demo!!! - 12/15/05 00:01

Bupaje,

Sure thing.. Although I wouldn't use the full Intense Ai code for that. I think I'd make a new Sensor action instead and reuse some of the functions that my Agents use for spotting an enemy. I'll think more about that for later versions. It's a nice idea.

So anyway, since I promised updates from now on, here's the first one!

I begun to optimize my code FPS-wise and tried to cut down in some of those costly instructions like c_trace, execute, etc..

First thing I looked in was my collision avoidance algorithm. It worked like this. Every moving agent would cast c_traces ahead of it for every single frame to check for obstacles. If the c_trace was blocked it would cast more c_traces to find out if the obstacle found was 'climbable' or whether it would have to go around it. Not only was that killing the FPS, in some cases it wouldn't work at all! Some Agents kept getting stuck to each other. So I scratched it and worked on a new approach!

It works with Repulsion vectors considering all the Dynamic entities which are close to the Bot. Every nearby obstacle casts its repulsion vector towards the agent, whith a magnitude relative to the distance between the obstacle and the Agent. All Repulsion vectors are then summed up and added to the direction vector which comes up with the Desired velocity. The velocity vector is then converted to a Gstudio angle and makes for the new direction of the agent.

Blue: Vector Pointing to Destination
Yellow: Repulsion Vector
Red: Repulsion Vectors Sum
Green: New Direction Chosen(velocity vector)

a Team, following their leader

Thus, no c_traces made for collision detection! I get a much better fps now, and this system worked for every possible situation I tried it so far.

With this out of the way, I'm now ready to build my Jailhouse level. I'll keep you posted .

Aris
Posted By: BoliverShagnasty

Re: Intense Ai: New Demo!!! - 12/15/05 00:38

Looks Good. I can't wait to get the finished version. Keep up the good work.

Re: Intense Ai: New Demo!!! - 12/15/05 03:05

Aris i dont completely understand what your saying except for a faint idea but well done on reaching this far and once again i cant wait for this to be completed and released

Silent_Assassin

Re: Intense Ai: New Demo!!! - 12/15/05 03:24

Woo hoo! People beating each other with sticks! What more could you ask for?

Re: Intense Ai: New Demo!!! - 12/15/05 04:38

people beating each other with guns

Re: Intense Ai: New Demo!!! - 12/15/05 14:41

Thanks eveyone!

ok, while you wait, I have an idea for keeping this thread alive.
Since I'm now building my own 'game' and I'm in the proccess of figuring out if I forgot something vital for the first version(like I would forget the melee weapons without FoxHound reminding me) I want you all to post here with a description of your game of which you need Intense Ai for..

Don't go crazy.. Something brief, that will get me in the mood, and see if Intense Ai will cover your needs.. something like that:

Name: JailBreak!
Genre: First Person Shooter
Description: Player escapes from prison, in modern age, fighting his way through with any weapon he finds on his way.
Ai Needs: Player Allies. Ai must be able to grab weapons from ground and use them, both melee and ranged. Ai must be able to spot you in order to attack you.Bad guys must be able to follow a path when Guarding.

things like that... If you want to throw a screenshot as well to put me in the mood, feel free:)

cheers,
Aris

Re: Intense Ai: New Demo!!! - 12/15/05 17:50

Name: Wartorn
Genre: First Person Shooter:
Description: In a near apocalyptic planet similar to ours a brutal world wide civil war has erupted splitting the populace into two factions. After witnessing the death of everyone he knew one civilian decideds now is the time to do his part. After his entire training unit is wiped out our recruit is left out alone and has to fend for himself, whilst discovering a deeper darker secret behind the rebels actions....
AI: umm pretty much what you said along with bupaje's ideas, along with stationary weapon emplacements and smart tactical AI who are also capable of acting in mobs or against multiple factions of opponents.
Posted By: BoliverShagnasty

Re: Intense Ai: New Demo!!! - 12/15/05 18:33

Name: Inner Sanctum
Description: Player starts with amnesia in a sanitarium. Goes through the game trying to figure out who he is and what's going on. Encountering ever heightening degrees of weird things along the way. Only to find out in the end that it was just a psychotic episode. (Story told through an Inner monologue)
AI: different variations. From melee, to zombie, to commen soldier. possibly friendly A.I. as well.

Re: Intense Ai: New Demo!!! - 12/15/05 21:50

Not sure if I'll ever get to it but my basic idea would probably be a RPG style game with some RTS elements -resource gathering and building mainly.

Enemy AI: (can be mechanical, animal, alien or human enemies)

-Ambush Hunter or Territorial AI: Animals of various types, humans, machines or maybe even traps or defense mechanisms that attack/are activated based on proximity -for example some critter lives in a sand pit but only attacks if you walk within a certain distance of his burrow. Can also include 'attached' animals -like a carnivorous tree- that can't chase you, automated defenses on abandoned alien cities that attacks only if you pass a perimeter or try to break something is another example (automated sentry)

-Roaming Predator (Pack or Solitary)- roaming animals, humans or machines with some brains that actively seek prey. What I mean by brains is a small carnivore or a single enemy with a handgun might not attack a party of 5 heavily armed men - the single predator might kill, injure, drag away or maim only one man and not kill a squad of 10 men. In some cases the primary purpose of these enemies might also be to capture (as prisoners) -instead of kill- or raid your resources. The capture one might be interesting as well as say they capture some of your allies and march them back to base you can try to free them.

-Neutral - some sort of AI for herbivores, mechanized collection bots, aliens or humans who only attack if you mess with them. Might be able to roll this with the territorial AI so they have values for proximity, tolerance_level (do they attack you as soon as you get near or if you continue to annoy them for more than x minutes), memory (how long do they remain aggravated at you after a confrontation; will they remember you attacked them once before and flee or fight you next time or resume normal grazing or whatever)

For the allies it would be good to be able to assign resources they collect so for example any soldiers with you might collect weapons and possibly food automatically -foraging in your immediate area- a medic with you might automatically collect medicine which would then all be available to the group. Maybe a 'forage_when_idle' option?

Anyway not sure if these are outside of the scope of what you intended and truthfully I am unsure if I'll ever get to make the game.

Re: Intense Ai: New Demo!!! - 12/16/05 04:20

Name: W:TroubleU
Description: "Cephies", a hyper-intelligent, alien species which evolved from today's cephalopods, returns from the future to complete a grand experiment in infiltration. The "Cephies" have found the perfect being to aid them in speed-altering all human civilizations across the universe and throughout time. This being, known as the "W", or "Dubya", is the ultimate quick modifer, which when properly applied, will either damn or exalt all of humanity. Play the role of a confused, delusional, metamorphic "Cephie", as you decide whether the destiny-altering fast "patch" "W" is even applied, if so, whether it ultimately drags all of humanity down to the dark abyss, or raises all of humanity to a heavenly state of existence.
Squash intricate cloning, training and seeding systems, or alternately optimize and modify the mechanisms that compose and control them.
Be a device of the diabolical, a device of the saintly instead, or even betray all parties. Bonus modes: Play as secret service forces and coordinate protection and defense while earning better upgrades and greater numbers.
Play as a "Dubya" clone and try to earn "good" or "bad" grades in "Cephie" training "schools" while attempting to survive "rebel" attacks by hiding behind secret service forces and sacrificing other clones. Note: I believe in reuse, so some, but not all, of the rebels are "failed" "W" clones with accompanying rogue secret service units.
AI: Secret service units that coordinate defenses and defend protected targets, take bullets for protected targets, and when their protected target is assassinated, some that drop their weapons and surrender, some that turn around and walk away, some more that seek revenge on the assassin or the failing secret service agent by shooting, throwing guns and/or shoes and/or hair pieces, a few that shoot the body of the protected target a couple of times, an infinitesimal number that look down in shame and when you shoot them, they do an irish jig, a large number that give the assassin the middle finger, grab their crotches or moon the assassin, others that shoot themselves in the hand or foot, and a few that commit suicide.

Nevermind. After concocting this project and writing it down all within a few minutes, I've abandoned it.

The "repulsive" vectors concept appears to be ingenious.
How does the "bot" determine which "dynamic" entities are close to it?

The total lack of test dummies in your "test" screen shots is appalling.

Re: Intense Ai: New Demo!!! - 12/16/05 17:41

Quote:

things like that... If you want to throw a screenshot as well to put me in the mood, feel free:)

cheers,
Aris

Aris,

It is good to see things are progressing; I hope you finish before you return to school.

Name: I cannot disclose this yet.....
Description: FPS set in unique and spooky places.
AI Needs: Basic FPS AI similar to Quake II.

CBuilder

Re: Intense Ai: New Demo!!! - 12/17/05 00:16

Name : the gates of hell
genre FPS
Description: a mad scientist found an ancient artifact and openend the gates of hell: zombies and monsters blast out. I am thinking if ambient the game in a Mars base ..
Ai needs: melee combat with different reaction(slow, faster, smarter) ,friendly Ai or team vs team. A feature that I would like is team shooting vs team zombies .

Re: Intense Ai: New Demo!!! - 12/17/05 15:18

Name: King Foxhound
Genre FPS
Description: you bash people with a stick who don't agree that Foxhound is king! You bash people with a stick who do agree Foxhound is king, but not as hard.

Re: Intense Ai: New Demo!!! - 12/18/05 08:23

lol great idea foxhound

Re: Intense Ai: New Demo!!! - 12/20/05 14:29

Aris,

How is it coming along? Do you think you'll finish it before you return to school?

Thanks,

CBuilder

Re: Intense Ai: New Demo!!! - 12/20/05 21:40

hi everyone,

CBuilder, most probably. It's all I do all day here, I'm going nuts but it's well worth it.

If things go as planned, I'll have the final demo ready to upload tonight. Anyone who is interested in Intense Ai should download this demo, cause it's your chance to let me know what's right and what's wrong with it. I've worked with this project for so long that I can't really decide what looks "good" or not anymore, so I need your help! Once it passes this final test, I'm releasing it!

Oh and thanks for your game ideas everyone. Keep them coming, I learn from them. When I'll get some time, I'll post here for each idea individually, what is possible to do already, what's not and what is planned for a future version, out of all the Ai needs you wrote.

Cheers and thanks for waiting:)
LLaffer

Re: Intense Ai: New Demo!!! - 12/21/05 09:25

As it turns out, I won't release the demo yet. The level I made is just too ugly, so I'll wait for the one being made by proffesionals to display the Ai in. Meanwhile, I'm working on debuggers, commenting code, fixing bugs and writting documentation. So here's some shots with the new debugger enabled, inside my ugly level:)

A group of three enemies walking by me. Their Leader is following a path, and the other two are following their leader.

An enemy bot found my ally who tried to take cover

A battle shot - me and my ally against four

Re: Intense Ai: New Demo!!! - 12/21/05 12:51

and where are the guys beating each other wtih sticks?

Larry, it's the toy not the package it comes in that we are interested in. This level will do fine.

Re: Intense Ai: New Demo!!! - 12/21/05 13:03

Aris,

The AI looks very interesting. I look forward to seeing it in action.

As for the level, I understand you put a lot of work into the AI and want the levels to reflect a degree of professionalism. However, most people, like me, are interested primarily in the AI. I would not worry too much about the levels.

Keep up the good work!

CBuilder
Posted By: light_mystic

Re: Intense Ai: New Demo!!! - 12/21/05 20:28

Very nice work Larry Laffer Can't wait to see the final Demo.
Posted By: muralist

Re: Intense Ai: New Demo!!! - 12/21/05 21:56

Larry -- as soon as I get it I plan to put the AI into my own level and dump yours -- not because your level is not good but because that AI in my game is what I am interested in. Plese release the demo now, and then later update it with a pretty level if you want to.

Re: Intense Ai: New Demo!!! - 12/22/05 09:14

Well, I need a good AI too, so ...don't bother you with a very good looking level demo, unless you don't have a level designer who make it for you.
Release a first demo and sell the AI package, then , when you have a professional looking level, release a second demo.

Re: Intense Ai: New Demo!!! - 12/24/05 01:58

Larry, Is it possible for friendly AI/NPS, etc to attack you if fired upon?
Or will your only enemies be the ones that started out that way?
Thanks

Re: Intense Ai: New Demo!!! - 12/24/05 04:40

Daedelus, click on this thread and scroll down to my post. Intense Ai works pretty much in the same way.

However, I've disabled breaking an alliance from friendly fire right now, cause u know, sh*t happens. You don't want your allies to all turn against you if you miss and shoot an ally once. Neither you need your enemy NPCs to turn against each other the same way, like it happened with Doom2.

Maybe I'll make a "Friendly Fire Acceptable" option in WED though to allow this. If I don't you'll still be able to make and break alliances any way you feel like just with one c-script command.

As for my progress, right now I'm in complete desperation. I don't have a model, I don't have a level so I'm stuck with the artwork I currently have. I do work on the demo with the current graphics but it ain't gonna be pretty and I was kinda hoping to at least show how nice Intense ai handles different animations, but now I can't

Cheers all,
Aris
Posted By: dleuen

Re: Intense Ai: New Demo!!! - 12/24/05 06:29

The beauty lies within the AI code, not the models nor levels. We can look past that part. I'd love to get the AI before Christmas break is over but if you want to wait for a nice level and models, its your product. My vote (as if that matters) is if the AI is ready then I'm ready to buy despite what the demo looks like. Maybe later someone will be able to do your animations and at that time you can release a new demo. Just a thought.

Don

Re: Intense Ai: New Demo!!! - 12/24/05 11:57

I agree with dleuen (you can't have 3 vowels in a word!) and that we want more of the code then the looks. I also want to play with this AI on my christmas break (I'm the teacher breaking from the kids) and if I dont' get to do that I'll tell the beer fairy not to visit you anymore (the beer fairy -teacher conspircy is true.).

Re: Intense Ai: New Demo!!! - 12/24/05 15:12

Quote:

The beauty lies within the AI code, not the models nor levels. We can look past that part. I'd love to get the AI before Christmas break is over but if you want to wait for a nice level and models, its your product. My vote (as if that matters) is if the AI is ready then I'm ready to buy despite what the demo looks like. Maybe later someone will be able to do your animations and at that time you can release a new demo. Just a thought.

Don

+1

Re: Intense Ai: New Demo!!! - 12/29/05 21:34

Aris,

Any news to report?

Thanks,

CBuilder
Posted By: Blattsalat

Re: Intense Ai: New Demo!!! - 12/29/05 22:07

he will be back in about 3-5 days

cheers

Re: Intense Ai: New Demo!!! - 12/30/05 00:27

Quote:

he will be back in about 3-5 days

cheers

Blattsalat,

Thanks for the update!

CBuilder

Re: Intense Ai: New Demo!!! - 12/30/05 18:56

Quote:

However, I've disabled breaking an alliance from friendly fire right now, cause u know, sh*t happens. You don't want your allies to all turn against you if you miss and shoot an ally once. Neither you need your enemy NPCs to turn against each other the same way, like it happened with Doom2.

I remember the Age of Empires AI had the teams and a team for Gaia -nature/animals and you could script them to join one side or the other, be neutral or whatever.

Maybe a similar 'third team' would be useful to you and have an option to assign allies to it after x amount of damage or other conditions. This team's primary interest might be self preservation -after all they are injured- so they probably wouldn't remain in a shoot out longer than needed if they can escape. So if you shoot your team mates several times they might become allies of this third ai 'gaia' instead and run away -only firing on either team if that is the only way to get away.

Just a random idea ...

Re: Intense Ai: New Demo!!! - 01/02/06 22:40

Hello everyone! I'm back..

Something unfortunate happen, my grandpa died a few days ago. I had to go to my village for the funeral and we had a pretty lousy christmass and new year's..

I'm trying to get back on track now. I'm finishing the documentation and also adding one last and very special feature. I think it will be worth the extra wait. I want even the Standard version to be nice and enjoyable so I'm adding voices. As they say, if no one knows what's in the bots mind no one will appreciate it. For all they know, the player will just see the bot running on some direction. But now, the bots will speak, everytime they spot an enemy, pick up a weapon, call for backup, look for you, etc..

While I'm finishing this last feature and the documentation, Blattsalat is making our demo level(one third is already done and it's working amazing with Intense Ai) and a humanoid prototype with all the correct Intense Ai animations in, to work as a good example when you're animating your models.

So please hold on a little longer. Unexpected things have happened and as always, there's something that delays your project a few weeks longer.. but I have put lots of effort in Intense Ai and I just want it to be perfect for its release. Hope you all understand.

@bupaje: I get your idea.. You can already create up to 20 teams with Intense Ai through WED. You can initially define the alliances between any of those teams, so you can have a neutral one. Maybe later I can add a checkbox that won't tolerate friendly fire and make the bot affiliate with the neutral team in its need to survive. It's definatelly something to think about for later versions. I'll keep an eye on the feedback I'll get about the "friendly fire incident" on the first release I'll make.

Happy ney year everyone,
Aris

Re: Intense Ai: New Demo!!! - 01/02/06 23:00

Sorry for your lost, LarryLaffer.

Looks like that Intense Ai is becoming very good. Can't wait to put my hands on it.

Re: Intense Ai: New Demo!!! - 01/03/06 00:15

Aris,

My condolences go out to you and your entire family. I will pray all of you find peace in this difficult time.

CBuilder
Posted By: dleuen

Re: Intense Ai: New Demo!!! - 01/03/06 05:58

Condolences to you and your family too Aris. No problem about the AI. We'll borrow a JCL phrase here: "It will be done when its done". Good to hear you are getting some new ideas for it too.

Don

Demo coming soon - 01/04/06 21:03

Just wanted to let everyone know that the demo is coming along well.. Larry is finishing up the documentation. Less than 2 weeks to go!

Intense Ai: Demo coming soon - 01/05/06 00:49

Thanks everyone...

Just thought I'd post some non-gameplay screens up to give you guys an insight while we're finishing up the documentation and demo.

Rafu put up a nice shader screenshot from the demo level

Some of the WED Customizable Panels that you can configure your Bots from.

Automatic Graph Creation Interface. WIP

For explanations of what all these are for, I'll publish the Documentation in public as soon as its done..

Cheers

Re: Intense Ai: Demo coming soon - 01/05/06 01:57

Looking sweet Larry!
You guys have done a hell of a job with this.
I cant wait to test it out.

Re: Intense Ai: Demo coming soon - 01/05/06 04:52

truely marvelous work there larry

Re: Intense Ai: Demo coming soon - 01/05/06 09:10

Amazing
Posted By: ello

Re: Intense Ai: Demo coming soon - 01/05/06 09:27

well, now onto the demo:) any pricing information??
Posted By: A.Russell

Re: Intense Ai: Demo coming soon - 01/05/06 12:22

Looks good.

A little off topic, but what is voice LOD? Is it something different from the ent_playsound effect?

Re: Intense Ai: Demo coming soon - 01/05/06 12:57

im guessing that it plays louder depending on what way your facing? abit like in half life 2? altho i acctually have no idea :P

Re: Intense Ai: Demo coming soon - 01/05/06 13:27

Looks great. I can 't wait.
Posted By: PHeMoX

Re: Intense Ai: Demo coming soon - 01/05/06 14:51

Quote:

im guessing that it plays louder depending on what way your facing? abit like in half life 2? altho i acctually have no idea :P

Good be, but it can also be that it's playing less quality sounds the further away? I'd be interested to know this too, I thought sound quality almost doesn't matter for fps, only the amount of sounds playing at the same time?

Cheers

Re: Intense Ai: Demo coming soon - 01/05/06 17:40

Aris,

Everything looks great!

CBuilder
Posted By: Inestical

Re: Intense Ai: Demo coming soon - 01/06/06 07:55

Great Scott! Looks nice! very, very well done!

Re: Intense Ai: Demo coming soon - 01/06/06 09:00

*Jumps up and down on chair*

Re: Intense Ai: Demo coming soon - 01/07/06 19:35

Thanks guys... Glad you all like it so far..

Voice LOD prevents any voices to be played if they are too far away from the player. I've modified that panel now to also include a LOD distance which you can change. I've done this cause even though I use ent_sound and far away sounds would not be heard, the cpu would still spend proccessing power to generate those volume 1 and volume 0 sounds.. Also, everytime a sound is played, an AiSound is emitted as well with the same volume. When bots hear an AiSound they act according to the type of the sound(ex. if it's a bot's friend screaming in pain, they'll check to see who's shooting at him). But all these take their part of proccessing power and if the player is miles away we don't need bots to generate footstep noises and such..

The price of Intense Ai Standard will be 29.99 EUR. It will be released as soon as the Intense Ai model is fully animated and the documentation is completed.

Cheers,
Aris

Re: Intense Ai: Demo coming soon - 01/08/06 16:35

LarryLaffer,

That is excellent news!

CBuilder
Posted By: draculaFactory

Re: Intense Ai: New Demo!!! Win A free copy. - 01/20/06 01:47

OMG. WTF? LOL Good AI. It seemed to know my thoughts.... LOL.

Re: Intense Ai: New Demo!!! Win A free copy. - 01/20/06 15:24

Aris,

How are things progressing?

Thanks,

CBuilder
Posted By: mo1e

Re: Intense Ai: New Demo!!! Win A free copy. - 01/20/06 16:24

count me in for a purchase

Re: Intense Ai: New Demo!!! Win A free copy. - 01/23/06 12:10

Hey all!

I just finished the animation list that I'll get to deliver to my animator so we can get the basic Intense Ai model started for the upcoming demo. The whole preparation for the final demo took us more time than expected but it's very important to get it right. The model included in the demo will be free to re-use in your projects but most importanly will serve as a proper guide of how to animate your models.

Anyhow, I thought that while the model is being created you could use the same animation guide I made for my modeler to check what animations Intense Ai supports and get a head start on animating your models from now. Btw, don't be scared when you see the huge animation list. Intense Ai supports 41 animations for the Standard version but you don't need to have all of them. A minimum of 4 animations(stand,walk,shoot,die) will be enough, but the more animations you put in will add to the realism of your models and also allow them to equip different types of weapons.

So, here you go. Hope some of you find some use for it..

Aris

Re: Intense Ai: New Demo!!! Win A free copy. - 01/23/06 18:44

nice one larry! now if only i could model and animate :P cant wait to see the final demo level :P

Re: Intense Ai: New Demo!!! Win A free copy. - 01/23/06 21:57

Aris,

That looks very interesting! I am looking forward to the demo game and release of Intense Ai.

CBuilder
Posted By: Malte

Re: Intense Ai: New Demo!!! Win A free copy. - 01/25/06 21:54

the level is so dark....i casnt see any thing
why?
Posted By: Trev101524

Re: Intense Ai: New Demo!!! Win A free copy. - 01/26/06 02:07

sorry, this may be a little spam-esque, but i havent been following this thread for the longest time. Where can i find the newest "demo" of this AI. I have read a few pages, and a lot has been done since the last time i checked in, and i am very anxious to try it out. Thanks, and great job Larry, from what i have read so far!!!

Re: Intense Ai: New Demo!!! Win A free copy. - 01/26/06 03:19

Unless I missed it, the last demo was the contest where you face the bot of doom.

Re: Intense Ai: New Demo!!! Win A free copy. - 01/26/06 05:18

Hello all,

@Malte: You're the first one to say that.. I don't remember the doom level being too dark.. Did you have the same problem with other Gstudio games? Maybe it's something to do with your gfx card or your monitor... I dunno

@Trev: I've made two demos so far, in two seperate threads. The first one(a year old) is here and the newest one (3 months old) is at the beginning of this thread.

Another one comes soon which will display all Intense Ai's new features(co-op, teams, voices, patrols, 3d pathfinding, etc..) and I'll also use it as the official demo for the Standard version. But so far I guess there aren't any new demos available.. sorry!

Aris

Re: Intense Ai: New Demo!!! Win A free copy. - 02/03/06 23:10

Is this ever going to finsh? you've been hyping it for over a year and still no sign...

Re: Intense Ai: New Demo!!! Win A free copy. - 02/03/06 23:12

Mat, do you honestly think that he would put all this effort into an AI, and make the demo's he has made so far if he had no intentions of finishing???

Re: Intense Ai: New Demo!!! Win A free copy. - 02/04/06 02:11

Hehe, it's ok, that's just the way Matt shows he cares. Judging from his previous comments on my work, I think we're making quite a progress here!

Anyway, I don't have a release date cause i don't know how much longer my two last items on my ToDo list are gonna take. Those are Documentation and the Animated model. Eeeverything else is done.. all done.. So I won't train this for too much longer..

Cheers,
Aris

Re: Intense Ai: New Demo!!! Win A free copy. - 02/04/06 03:51

*dances around the room

Re: Intense Ai: New Demo!!! Win A free copy. - 02/04/06 04:41

Oh my god, do you know what it's time for?

Re: Intense Ai: New Demo!!! Win A free copy. - 02/04/06 05:03

A SEXY PARTY!!!!

Re: Intense Ai: New Demo!!! Win A free copy. - 02/04/06 05:04

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA, YESSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!! but in all seriousness, i am excited to see this AI in full action. Great work Larry.

Silent_assassin: very nice! Good times right there.

Re: Intense Ai: New Demo!!! Win A free copy. - 02/04/06 05:11

yeah it does look good

Re: Intense Ai: New Demo!!! Win A free copy. - 02/06/06 13:39

Quote:

*dances around the room

Silent_Assassin,

I will do that when it is released.

CBuilder

Re: Intense Ai: New Demo!!! Win A free copy. - 02/06/06 14:41

I do that all the time, but only when I'm alone.
Posted By: Matt_Coles

Re: Intense Ai: New Demo!!! Win A free copy. - 02/06/06 22:53

@ Larry, as soon as you release it I bags first copy!

Re: Intense Ai: New Demo!!! Win A free copy. - 02/06/06 23:09

no when it comes out i will be jumping around the room

Re: Intense Ai: New Demo!!! Win A free copy. - 02/07/06 00:42

You really should lay off the drugs.

Re: Intense Ai: New Demo!!! Win A free copy. - 02/07/06 04:35

i cant help it.... im addicted
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Intense Ai: New Demo!!! Win A free copy. - 02/07/06 13:00

did anyone already won and got the copy?

mercuryus

Re: Intense Ai: New Demo!!! Win A free copy. - 02/07/06 13:23

Quote:

did anyone already won and got the copy?

mercuryus

mercuryus,

Yes, someone won the first day.

CBuilder
Posted By: Cyberkada

Re: Intense Ai: New Demo!!! Win A free copy. - 02/09/06 17:00

I'll buy probably, but am already out money twice with mysticAI and RazorAI.

Re: Intense Ai: New Demo!!! Win A free copy. - 02/21/06 16:13

Aris,

Did you finish the documentation yet?

Thanks,

CBuilder
Posted By: proteK

Re: Intense Ai: New Demo!!! Win A free copy. - 02/27/06 22:53

Okay first question with my bad english , oke my english is maybe better than i know :-)

the release date of the Intense Ai ? Where can i buy it - and only one word to Mythic Ai (its death) was a good thing (metal gear solid style) enemys :-) but its over , i have spehre and the a6 pro edition , the problem now i have make a update and spehre is down ^^ i need a good AI to realize a big game project

Larry , i hope this AI is nearly complete :-) can i with Intense Diaglogue make that the npc speak something with the player , with the intense dialogue system , is this possible

oke thx and great work

Re: Intense Ai: New Demo!!! Win A free copy. - 02/27/06 22:58

proteK: and what do you do yourself I'd like to hear more 'o yer project

anyhoo, really, Larry, when can I copy your code to the coding contest xD
I will make better ai than you ;P (lol, we all know yers better)

Re: Intense Ai: New Demo!!! Win A free copy. - 02/27/06 23:18

Hello all,

Level is done, documentation is almost done(main parts are written, I'm missing some details here and there..) and I'm now waiting for the humanoid model with the 40 animations:) As we speak, I set up the demo 'game' in that level using old human models and making the website for Intense Ai.

It's getting exciting now that everything gets so close, although I try not to be too excited and spell out some deadline that I won't be able to meet again

Oh! btw, while at it.. please take a second and fill this poll for me. Since I have some free time while waiting for that model, I'm trying to 'catch' all things that could go wrong when someone ports Intense Ai to his project before I even release the thing.. Portability is a tricky issue and I could really use some information about your projects..

Thanks,
Aris

Re: Intense Ai: New Demo!!! Win A free copy. - 02/27/06 23:57

Aris, many of us will buy the software if it works , don't need of a superb graphic demo ( I wrote you another thing , last year , I know).
Put a decent model , modify something but don't bother you with fancy models (p.s my dx 9 video card dies the past summer so I have to use the mx for a while, so please do a demo version without shaders).

Re: Intense Ai: New Demo!!! Win A free copy. - 02/28/06 00:39

Mondi, I use an Ati Radeon Mobility 7500 here.. It doesn't even support pixel shader 1.0, so no worries
I need that model though.. It's not about the graphics, anything would do, but without the proper animations on it I can't show what Intense Ai can really do.

proteK, yes that's what Intense Dialogues is about. Download the demo from my signature to see if it suits your needs.

Aris

Re: Intense Ai: New Demo!!! Win A free copy. - 02/28/06 00:44

I confirm: the Dialogues engine is very good.

Re: Intense Ai: New Demo!!! Win A free copy. - 02/28/06 05:48

Will there be an option for an amount of thinking the bots must do?

A game like painkiller, which is pretty much a wide open space with very few places a bot could get stuck, blocked off from the rest of the level until all those bots are dead, won't need much thinking, a simple path would handle that. But a game where a character is using stealth and tries to hide from the bot, which means the bot may or may not know the player is there, the bot may or may not be looking for the player.

Re: Intense Ai: New Demo!!! Win A free copy. - 02/28/06 07:48

Nice to see your still working on this project Aris! Cant wait...
Posted By: Honigmonster

Re: Intense Ai: New Demo!!! Win A free copy. - 02/28/06 13:39

is there a demo link :-) ?

Re: Intense Ai: New Demo!!! Win A free copy. - 02/28/06 13:54

He works on it when the beer lets him, the other time he mubbles about "the brain lepper colony". He really does confuse me.

Re: Intense Ai: Demo coming soon - 02/28/06 22:12

Hey guys,

thanks for voting.. I found two of the results quite suprising, the amount of people that need Intense Ai for a new project, and how many people don't have a clue what the WED customizable panels are.. Both results will help me on the documentation and all.. please keep voting..

Quote:

Will there be an option for an amount of thinking the bots must do?

It's all in the Personality panel that I posted a screenshot of it before.. If you only need bots that will follow a path and attack any enemy on sight, all you do is enable these two goals and set all rest Goals to 0. You can even set a value for every enabled Goal to determine how likely it is to attempt each of them. If I set a value on the Follow Path goal to 100 and to the Combat Tactic I give 20, I create a coward character who will only engage combat if it's absolutley nesseccery.. However, a Follow Path 30 and Combat Tactic 100 will create a berserk guy who will attack anyone on sight, even if he's packing a bereta and the enemy is packing a bazooka(for example..). Setting all Goals to 100(which is the default) gives balanced results between Goal selection, that I spent thousands of hours testing them here..

So by disabling Goals this way, you relief some proccessing power by prevent the bots thinking about them, if that's what you asked me for..

Honigmonster, there's one at the first page of this thread.. but it's old..

Aris

Re: Intense Ai: Demo coming soon - 03/01/06 08:22

Very nice. Now who do I need to chainsaw in order to get this ready sooner? Or better yet who should I not chainsaw in order to get this ready sooner. I'm awfully board right now and some good old fashion fun would help a lot.

Re: Intense Ai: Demo coming soon - 03/01/06 15:30

The custumizable AI sounds a lot like the CounterStrike: Source Bot AI. I was completely impressed by that AI, I spent several hours when i first got the game playing the computer, and didnt even know it!!! This sounds like a good project, and worth waiting for. I will be checking back more often now, in hopes of information on how to purchase a finished version!

Re: Intense Ai: Demo coming soon - 03/01/06 19:10

Quote:

Very nice. Now who do I need to chainsaw in order to get this ready sooner?

you can start with my professors who give me all kinds of assingments every week and keep me from releasing

Or even better, no blood mess on the carpet, you can do my assingments.. I've heard you're a teacher, eh?

Re: Intense Ai: Demo coming soon - 03/01/06 19:11

@LarryLaffer,
1.)I want to know if you can give a list of the 40 possible animations for the ai system as I am starting a character for FPS games and I would like it to fit with your upcoming system.

2.)Question: If I want to add a new behavior for a bot, such as for example "stop and smell the roses" or something, thats just an example. Would it be fairly easy for me to include this functionality to the ai's existing behaviors, or is that something we would need to hire out custom coding from you? Speaking from just an average coders perspective with no real knowledge of higher math or advanced ai functions.

3.)which leads to the third question Id like to confirm, is the ai code all c-script which we can change around or is it in c++?

4.)Would it be possible for an average scripter to set up a routine for a bot, like maybe time based: 1 pm - 5pm guard perimeter, 6pm -7pm go to mess hall, 7pm-10pm go to bed?

5.) I have dinosaurs and other creatures, is this system something I can adapt to them or is it all for bot to bot type quake ai?

--Thanks a lot. Im looking forward to this code, it looks like its gonna be great!

Re: Intense Ai: Demo coming soon - 03/01/06 19:53

Quote:

1.)I want to know if you can give a list of the 40 possible animations for the ai system as I am starting a character for FPS games and I would like it to fit with your upcoming system.

Animation List

Quote:

2.)Question: If I want to add a new behavior for a bot, such as for example "stop and smell the roses" or something, thats just an example. Would it be fairly easy for me to include this functionality to the ai's existing behaviors, or is that something we would need to hire out custom coding from you? Speaking from just an average coders perspective with no real knowledge of higher math or advanced ai functions.

Since you would need to create the 'Smell Roses' Goal yourself, it means that you'll need to get your hands dirty on SED a bit. Think of Intense Ai having 3 layers of programming, kinda like GameStudio has.

Beginner: Use pre-existing Goals to create complex personalities, design weapons, add paths, animations and lots more without writting a single line of code.

Intermediate: Create new Goals for your system that will fit your needs. You'll use pre-existing actions which means all the hard stuff like Pathfinding, movement, collision, etc have already be done for you. Just design and add your Goal to the current selection.

Advanced: Change the way Intense Ai works from within. Modify the pathfinding, the Goal Oriented Action Planning and every other vital system that Intense Ai uses and get the power over everything.

There will be detailed instructions in the manual for all three layers. It's not as hard as it sounds to create a new Goal. It may include scripting, but it's handled in a very orginised fashion, and with my step-by-step tutorials on making a few Goals on your own, it's going to be a peace of cake to get started on yours.

Quote:

3.)which leads to the third question Id like to confirm, is the ai code all c-script which we can change around or is it in c++?

all c-script

Quote:

4.)Would it be possible for an average scripter to set up a routine for a bot, like maybe time based: 1 pm - 5pm guard perimeter, 6pm -7pm go to mess hall, 7pm-10pm go to bed?

Yes. Make a personality in WED which favours the Guard Goal, a second personality which favous the Follow Path goal, and a third which favours a customized GoToBed Goal. Then, when it's 1pm - 5pm say my.Personality=1;, when it's 6pm - 7pm change it to my.Personality=2; and when it's 7pm to 10pm again make it my.Personality=3;

Quote:

5.) I have dinosaurs and other creatures, is this system something I can adapt to them or is it all for bot to bot type quake ai?

After I'm finished with Intense Ai I'm going to use it myself on a personal project which is a space turn-based strategy game(much like Master of Orion 2). So you see it can have many many uses. Even with the Goals that Intense Ai comes with, your dinosaurs will be able to follow paths, chill, attack-or not..- etc. You can customize their behavior through WED to better suit a dinosaur..

Cheers,
Aris

Re: Intense Ai: Demo coming soon - 03/01/06 20:03

Thanks a lot,

Im really looking forward to this tool. I think this is going to take gamestudio to the next level.

Re: Intense Ai: Demo coming soon - 03/01/06 20:59

Quote:

...After I'm finished with Intense Ai I'm going to use it myself on a personal project which is a space turn-based strategy game(much like Master of Orion 2). So you see it can have many many uses. Even with the Goals that Intense Ai comes with, your dinosaurs will be able to follow paths, chill, attack-or not..- etc. You can customize their behavior through WED to better suit a dinosaur..

Probably you will be able to make dinosaurs shoot you with a gun!

Re: Intense Ai: Demo coming soon - 03/03/06 21:48

It's getting close now...

Re: Intense Ai: Demo coming soon - 03/03/06 21:54

neat ^^ hope it get's out and fast
Posted By: Hellcrypt

Re: Intense Ai: Demo coming soon - 03/04/06 20:14

So is that creating waypoints? if it is, taking a while to build heh. Also would this work with models for levels?

Re: Intense Ai: Demo coming soon - 03/04/06 23:20

Well there are 214 Waypoints in that level.. So that's 45.796 links it needs to check.. Simple levels will need less waypoints. 50 Waypoints take about a minute to build.

Yeah, you can have levels made up of MDLs, terrain or whatever if you want..

I updated to the a6.40.2 beta today since jcl said it's possible gonna be the final version and some things don't work now. I think it's cause of the major changes they made to the c_trace, c_move and other collision functions.. So since a lot of people have upgraded, i'll need to take some time fixing those problems now and also make sure it's backwards compatible to 6.31.4 for all those people who don't wish to upgrade :/

wish me luck

Re: Intense Ai: Demo coming soon - 03/04/06 23:28

Quote:

I updated to the a6.40.2 beta today since jcl said it's possible gonna be the final version and some things don't work now.

Welcome to my world!

Quote:

... make sure it's backwards compatible to 6.31.4 for all those people who don't wish to upgrade :/

Thanks, you thought about everything. I am one of those.

Looking foward to put my hands on this!!!
Posted By: MagZu

Re: Intense Ai: Demo coming soon - 03/09/06 22:23

i am tooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo late

"three witches watch tree swatch watches which with watch which swatch watch?"
i beated the bot/Ai i know i didn`t won any thing but i just posted it for fun:)

Re: Intense Ai: Demo coming soon - 03/09/06 23:06

lol you are way to late MagZu

Re: Intense Ai: Demo coming soon - 04/06/06 03:54

Hi all!

just thought I'd update a bit..

That's the brand new Animation Editor. Requested by my animator to finish to final Npc models, and will also make it to the IntenseAi release

And here's a few shots of the upcoming demo. The soldier models will be replaced with new ones.

The guy with the helmet on is your ally.

Cheers
Aris

Re: Intense Ai: Demo coming soon - 04/06/06 09:35

Aris...... i love you man LMAO

Re: Intense Ai: Demo coming soon - 04/06/06 17:43

Silent_Assassin, are you stoned again?
Posted By: EX Citer

Re: Intense Ai: Demo coming soon - 04/06/06 20:30

Interessante Idee. Erinnert mich daran das ich mir was schreiben wollte um das Animieren leichter zu machen...

Re: Intense Ai: Demo coming soon - 04/13/06 07:13

Hello!

one more update on our work here.. Pretty much I'm just waiting for the humanoid model that I'll use for the demo to be animated. We will use all Intense Ai's 41 animations and show him being able to hold 4 different weapons, 3 ranged(pistol,sawed shotgun and uzi), 1 melee(a club) or even fight unarmed. So I'm not sure how long the animations will take to be made.

In the meantime, I'm optimizing things here and there. Previously, Hellcrypt commented about the graph builder taking too much time on a level with 214 nodes in it.. I worked on that for a few days, and I've now managed to cut down the 54mins it took, down to 9 mins! .

So everything is pretty much done.. I'll keep spending my time optimizing and writting documentation until the model is done and we can finally put together the release demo!

I'm also considering giving away the Pathfinding code for free. I don't want to force people into buying a full Ai package if all they really need is some Pathfinding code. I'm not sure if there's a big demand for one though. Go here for more.

Aris

Re: Intense Ai: Demo coming soon - 04/14/06 02:46

Aris, don't bother yourself with beatiful , realistic animation . Here , many people will buy IAI , even if the model looks like the ogre from Quake.
Okay for the 41 animations, good , but make them simple, very basic.
And , please, find a way to integrate the Ai with the dialogues engine ( a very good product, I advice it).
Posted By: Rondidon

Re: Intense Ai: Demo coming soon - 04/30/06 07:12

Is it ready? What`s the status?

Robin

Re: Intense Ai: Demo coming soon - 06/01/06 02:26

We have a model!!!

finally, after months of going by without any progress at all, i can now move on with it.. And here's our new star

and from the engine..

I'll get very busy now putting everything together again, while Andvari works on the rest of the models. So with a bit of good luck, we might actually get something released this time..

thank you all for waiting.. i'll keep you updated
Aris
Posted By: Loopix

Re: Intense Ai: Demo coming soon - 06/01/06 19:09

Hey Larry...looks cool Feels good to see you back on work...But now you got to stick on it and bring it to a release...understand
Posted By: MadMark

Re: Intense Ai: Demo coming soon - 06/16/06 02:00

That looks awesome. Great job on the model! Now I want to see him in action!
Keep going...

Mark
Posted By: Pappenheimer

Re: Intense Ai: Demo coming soon - 06/16/06 11:56

Larry, don't get us wrong!

No response doesn't mean no interested!

I still see the crowd of costumers who are awaiting the release!

Go ON! Please!!!!

Re: Intense Ai: Demo coming soon - 06/16/06 16:32

No trust me larry is going to have this done very soon. He is just going though Finals week at the univ.! once done this thing will be relased, and I can assure you will be worth the wait!!

Re: Intense Ai: Demo coming soon - 06/17/06 16:44

Larry is way to drunk to be working on Intense AI. Instead he's working on Intense Beer.

Re: Intense Ai: Demo coming soon - 06/29/06 00:37

All,

I think this calls for one of Dan's TUSC stories. Dan, where are you?

CBuilder
Posted By: ROMAC

Re: Intense Ai: Demo coming soon - 06/29/06 09:06

I haven't looked into this thread for some weeks now, but I must say... great progress, and very nice work. Best of luck on this

Re: Intense Ai: Demo coming soon - 06/30/06 03:03

Quote:

All,

I think this calls for one of Dan's TUSC stories. Dan, where are you?

CBuilder

Haha!!!!

Actually, Dan's busy working on Intense Ai's demo level

Thanks everyone for your interest. I had some rough times studying for my exams lately(they're getting harder and harder!), but summer's here now, and i'll be spending most of my time on this.

Here's my todo list:

Put the demo together
Comment/Tidy up code
Documentation

and here's a few shots of the up coming demo. Great artists like Blattsalat, Andvari and Dan Silverman contributed to make this easy on the eyes and everyone else has been working really hard to make this a descent mini-game for you to enjoy. I hope you'll all like it..

Take Cover Tactics

Giving your ally commands through Intense Dialogues

The weapons used in the demo level

And Melee fighting for my friend , foxhound

Cheers,
Aris

Re: Intense Ai: Demo coming soon - 06/30/06 03:58

Aris,

Keep up the good work! Here is a limerick for you in the interim:

A bather whose clothing was strewed
By breezes that left her quite nude,
Saw a man come along
And, unless I am wrong,
You expected this line to be lewd.

No, I did not write it......

CBuilder
Posted By: Loopix

Re: Intense Ai: Demo coming soon - 06/30/06 19:23

Nice stuff...I really hope for a soon release I want to use it for my upcoming nature-shooter called "from TUSC till dawn"

Re: Intense Ai: Demo coming soon - 07/12/06 01:28

All,

It has been a while; here is another from http://cgi.tripod.com/mass_limerick/cgi-bin/limgame.pl?:

There once was a dancer named Jerry
Whose legs were quite crooked and hairy.
He danced the bolero,
Wearing a sombrero
But was never mistook as a fairy.

CBuilder

Re: Intense Ai: Demo coming soon - 07/19/06 01:03

i still have to finish the demo
i guess i will write me a memo
don't promise a deadline
especially on-line
cause people will think you're a lame-o

Aris

Re: Intense Ai: Demo coming soon - 07/19/06 23:03

wow Aris is a poet and he didnt even know it
Posted By: upczhsh

Re: Intense Ai: New Demo!!! Win A free copy. - 07/20/06 11:35

good work
Posted By: Puppeteer

Re: Intense Ai: New Demo!!![OFF TOPIC] - 10/09/07 13:30

Your AI has sometimes problems because (i think) you dont use use_box and runs against the wall...

EDIT: And stucks

Re: Intense Ai: New Demo!!![OFF TOPIC] - 10/09/07 13:49

That demo is still online?? I made that almost two years ago..

I'm making a new version of Intense Pathfinding right now, making sure it works for A7 and adding a feature for Orange Brat's game. I'll post in Third Party Tools when it's done.

As for Intense Ai, it's now part of IntenseX, and i'll be releasing that soon as well. For the time being I have to wait for the new A7 beta, which is why i'm working on I.P. for now..

Cheers,
Aris
Posted By: snake67

Re: Intense Ai: New Demo!!![OFF TOPIC] - 10/25/07 02:04

Nice. Will it work with A6.5 too?
Posted By: Orange Brat

Re: Intense Ai: New Demo!!![OFF TOPIC] - 10/25/07 04:23

Quote:

making sure it works for A7 and adding a feature for Orange Brat's game

As I already mentioned in PM and in the Contributions thread, thanks for doing this. The fact that you singled out that feature and even mentioned me (because you want me to shut up about it ) was beyond generous. Unless I discover some insanely crazy bug(s) or show stopper it'll definitely be offered as an optional feature for those who would rather point and click than use direct control. Thanks again.

...oh yeah, and just so it can be officially documented, here's the screenshot I sent you in that PM showcasing that bizarre behavior. I'd never feature any kind of design in my own work to duplicate this, but others might be able to find similar problems that may or may not help lead to a fix (assuming this isn't simply a waypoints issues). The clicked on spot is where the player model is at. That's one piece of info I had left out beforehand:

Posted By: Pappenheimer

Re: Intense Ai: New Demo!!![OFF TOPIC] - 10/25/07 12:08

Isn't this just by allowing clicking on certain "error save" areas?
In case of your example, a function should test how close the point is to a wall, and if it is too close, it should disable clicking and change the pic of the mouse pointer accordingly.

My guess is that the pathfinding entity is already in the block, and because of that, it can trace to the point above that block.

Re: Intense Ai: New Demo!!![OFF TOPIC] - 10/26/07 03:40

Hi all!

Quote:

Nice. Will it work with A6.5 too?

Intense Pathfinding works for all versions of A6 and A7, including A6.5. IntenseX however will only be available for A7, to take advantage of the free physics, bones, and the new customizable panel system. The upgrade costs from any A6 to the respective A7 edition is relative small and definatelly worths the money.

Quote:

As I already mentioned in PM and in the Contributions thread, thanks for doing this. The fact that you singled out that feature and even mentioned me (because you want me to shut up about it ) was beyond generous. Unless I discover some insanely crazy bug(s) or show stopper it'll definitely be offered as an optional feature for those who would rather point and click than use direct control. Thanks again.

No problem! The reason I did this even though no one else asked, was seeing how you were stuck with navigation in your game's thread, and i knew i could help so it would be a really shame not too. Thank you for being patient for this for over a year now

Quote:

...oh yeah, and just so it can be officially documented, here's the screenshot I sent you in that PM showcasing that bizarre behavior. I'd never feature any kind of design in my own work to duplicate this, but others might be able to find similar problems that may or may not help lead to a fix (assuming this isn't simply a waypoints issues). The clicked on spot is where the player model is at. That's one piece of info I had left out beforehand:

Yeah I was afraid you might find this. I made you a picture to explain why this bug happens

So if the camera angle is fuzzy(the wall that you are trying to click does not face to the camera at all), there's the danger that the new point that will be calculated along the Camera->spot line will also be inside the wall, causing problems. To fix that, i'll have to calculate the new spot using the wall's normal, instead of the line between the spot and the camera. Ignore this bug for now, and i'll make a new version soon.
© 2024 lite-C Forums