Let's team up - team members please post your info here

Posted By: George

Let's team up - team members please post your info here - 12/23/09 13:11

Dear team members,

I appreciate your desire to help; if we keep ourselves motivated we should have a great little prototype in our hands in 1-2 months - isn't that exciting?

Please tell us what you can do for the team (modeling, programming, etc) and how many hours per week you can work at this project. Please note that at this point we don't know exactly what we will create, so don't post here yet if you dislike a certain game genre, etc.

If you don't plan to become a team member, please continue to post your ideas, suggestions, etc in the "Let's team up and create a game together" thread - I'll keep posting there as well.

I only plan to manage the project, but I can share the game design, programming, sound effects and music hats with the other members of the team if it is needed.
Posted By: Rei_Ayanami

Re: Let's team up - team members please post your info here - 12/23/09 13:23

Okay, I am in.

I can do programming, but only single player. If we need some non organic models, I can also do them if anyone give me sonething like a blueprint.

I can "work" for about 8-12 hours, because I also work on another project.
But this can change(when the project is so nice, i can do more/longer)

I know that's not very much, but I think it's okay laugh

Best regards,
Marian
Posted By: Joozey

Re: Let's team up - team members please post your info here - 12/23/09 13:42

I can do programming and help on gamedesign, e.g. come with ideas to try out a whole different way not thought of before, or mark the things that are vital to keep an eye on, or unwanted results that might happen in certain cases.

3 to 4 hours a week. But I can do 8 hours, and the next week nothing laugh.
Posted By: SchokoKeks

Re: Let's team up - team members please post your info here - 12/23/09 13:57

I would do multiplayer programming, if necessary for the project. won't be able to do much, about 2 hours a week.
Posted By: Ganderoleg

Re: Let's team up - team members please post your info here - 12/23/09 14:01

As I posted earlier in the initial tread my friend and me are very interested to be a part of this project if you find our abilities to be sufficient. We can offer help in four segments: leveling (designing,modeling and shadowmapping), character models (designing and animating), music and sound effects.

I have uploaded the examples of our work at FileFront here:
http://www.filefront.com/15196129/Examples.zip

In example ZIP you can find clips of animated characters from Blade Of Power, that doesn't really represents my animating abilities anymore but can be a global guideline, and one exe file: two-room level that is taken from a new project not related to Blade Of Power. This level also contains music and audio effects originally composed or recorded by my friend.

There is also important ReadMe file placed in ZIP that explains all modeling, animating and audio-related limitations.When considering hours per week I couldn't really say but it is somewhere between solid 10h (Monday-Friday 2h/Day) and not-so-solid 17h.
Posted By: Quad

Re: Let's team up - team members please post your info here - 12/23/09 15:27

Count me in! I can ALSO do programming, 8 to 12 hours a week except for exam weeks. My most active days will possibly bi saturday and thursday.
Posted By: Slin

Re: Let's team up - team members please post your info here - 12/23/09 15:59

I can do all kind of programming (gameplay, shaders, external libraries, plugins, ...). I can probably do more, but due to some other project I have to finish, some own ideas for iphone games and the facts that my final exams at school are going to be quite soon, I can´t promise more than two hours a week.
Posted By: Puppeteer

Re: Let's team up - team members please post your info here - 12/23/09 18:05

Programming:
AI
Multiplayer
Gameplay

6-10 hours/week.
Posted By: DR_Black

Re: Let's team up - team members please post your info here - 12/23/09 18:16

I can do programming , game design and simple modeling and music composing.

I cant tell you how many hours a week a can work because things change. But if nothing changes i can spend 4-6 hours a week.
Posted By: MTD

Re: Let's team up - team members please post your info here - 12/23/09 20:07

Programing - Game-play, AI + Other if needed wink
Can try to max out my modeling & artist skills grin
Work - min 8 hours/week

Let's work laugh
Posted By: muffel

Re: Let's team up - team members please post your info here - 12/23/09 20:27

I can also do programming.
I think i can work min 4 hours a week.

muffel
Posted By: croman

Re: Let's team up - team members please post your info here - 12/23/09 20:29

Hey, i think i could help too.

I could do the programming. Couple of hours every day for sure. But i can start working only after 7th or 8th of January...
Posted By: slacer

Re: Let's team up - team members please post your info here - 12/23/09 20:37

Many programmers already... Count me in for modeling static stuff. I think 8 hours per week is possible.
Posted By: EvilSOB

Re: Let's team up - team members please post your info here - 12/23/09 20:57

So many programmers... as to be expected. This is a "programmers" engine really.
Just hope we can get more artists...

Im in for 8-10 hours a week Lite-C programming for now.
Available hours will probably increase after Feb, certain not to decrease.
Also overall game design "ideas" man, just ideas, not a project manager...

But willing to try new things (modelling / level design / shader-coding) if it will help.

Posted By: Blink

Re: Let's team up - team members please post your info here - 12/23/09 23:40

i can build static models, i can do 2-d concept art, i good at adding bones and animating models, and pretty good at skinning models. my forte' artwork (for cd graphics and character model designs),story writing, and i can do voice acting and produce music and sound effects. i can probably give 5-10 hours a week. i am on here for hours everyday anyway.
Posted By: MrGuest

Re: Let's team up - team members please post your info here - 12/24/09 00:37

Wish you guys the best,

If you need an additional programmer then I can do 6-20hours a week depending on work, though please prioritise people who aren't already dedicated with other projects

Able to do AI, UI (coding hookup), MP, Level Design
Posted By: Redeemer

Re: Let's team up - team members please post your info here - 12/24/09 03:31

I'm very busy right now, but I am willing to help when I can. I would guess right now I might be able to put a few hours in every week. Not sure. My schedule tends to fluctuate.

As a programmer I know how to do some particle effects, vector manipulation/mathematics, good poor-man's physics. I know how to use c_move without relative velocities, thus allowing more accurate and realistic entity movement, and I have some understanding of multiplayer and basic AI.

I'm not promising anything, but if you create a code base or something I may be able to stop in every now and again to work on the project a little.
Posted By: SirCamaris

Re: Let's team up - team members please post your info here - 12/24/09 04:22

I'd like to contribute with level design. I use TurboCad for level geometry and import the .3ds file into Wed. The advantage with this method is speed and accuracy. May need some help with textures though. I can put in 12-14 hours per week.

Re: Let's team up - team members please post your info here - 12/24/09 07:34

Thank you a lot for getting involved; I am happy to see so many talented users wanting to be a part of this.
Ganderoleg: I couldn't run your demo; it says that it can't find the wdl file.
Posted By: Guardian

Re: Let's team up - team members please post your info here - 12/24/09 08:39

I can do character modeling and 2d game art if needed 4 to 8 hours a week.

Guardian
Posted By: Germanunkol

Re: Let's team up - team members please post your info here - 12/24/09 11:02

As there's many programmers on here already (and quite a few of them have more experience than me) I'll go for 2d Art as well, UI and HUD work, if you want me to.

Around 2-6 hours per week.

I'm surprised at how many people know multiplayer here, considering the only MP game I know of that ever got to a release state was Glider.
I'd also do MP programming if it's needed, but I understand we've settled for a single player game for now.

Re: Let's team up - team members please post your info here - 12/24/09 14:34

Sorry to hear that- only thing I can think of is that the level has been packed with Molebox frown
I had no trouble with starting the exe and non of my friends that tested the file had any problem with it. I will make a new version available to you as soon as possible and if anyone else is interested and has any difficulty with file already uploaded to FileFront I will pack&zip&upload a new one as soon as FileFront is up again.

Re: Let's team up - team members please post your info here - 12/24/09 15:21

Yes, Molebox causes problems on some PCs. Anyway, I've got the new version from you and it works fine - the level looks very good. Thank you!

Re: Let's team up - team members please post your info here - 12/24/09 16:49

I'm glad it worked out. Molebox seems to be highly unpredictable at times. I really should come up with a different solution for packing the artwork.
Posted By: Gordon

Re: Let's team up - team members please post your info here - 12/24/09 16:55

I can do any 2d seamless texture needed with normal, specular, height and if needed emissive maps in any resolution up to 6k x 6k. Just let me know what you need.

here is an example: rendered stone path over photo ground cover.

free for use
Posted By: Theil

Re: Let's team up - team members please post your info here - 12/26/09 08:45

I have some knowledge with 2D Graphics and 3D as well, but I'm available just like 2 hours per day, maybe it won't help too much but with puting me in the extra credits I'm ok :), the only problem is that when I make a 3D, it tend to take some time, because I'm not that good at texturing but you can see an unfinished 3D model I made. (it took me some time because I was in college by then).

laugh

Posted By: txesmi

Re: Let's team up - team members please post your info here - 12/26/09 10:10

i would like contribute, i could get 2 afternoons per week 4-10 hours, but i can only promise 1, 4-5 hours.

I'n not really talented in any discipline but i can help in most (2D, 3D, coding (forget it ;), music). My best chance could be world texturing works.

my modest works
explosion
PelotaGame
partidabierta.com

Salud!

Re: Let's team up - team members please post your info here - 12/26/09 11:26

Thank you a lot, guys. Let's wait for a few more days to make sure that all the people that want to get involved get the chance to post here. Meanwhile, please prepare a document that contains your game idea (if you have one) and takes into account the guidelines we've discussed about in the previous thread. A game design document (can be similar with the one I've posted in Aum89) would help you organize your toughts and will help us evaluate the potential of your idea.
Posted By: Timothy

Re: Let's team up - team members please post your info here - 12/26/09 14:22

I can do textures (making seamless, photograph, sprites etc.)
example (free use for everyone):

non-organic modeling,
sound (though this shouldn't be a problem because of websites like freesound.org, etc.),
additional programming (f.e. falling leaves or flying birds),
and some level design.

About 8 hours/week if nothing will interfere.
Posted By: Landixus

Re: Let's team up - team members please post your info here - 12/26/09 20:23

I can offer you for this Project a
1. SVN Server (Subversion)
2. Ready Webpage with Forum / for the devtime
3. ToDo List Server

Re: Let's team up - team members please post your info here - 12/27/09 00:44

i can also provide, hosting space,online storage,mysql databases, and a subdomain.
Posted By: LarryLaffer

Re: Let's team up - team members please post your info here - 12/28/09 14:41

I'm not sure if I should post here or in that other thread. For January I don't want to guarantee a number of work hours per week since most of my free time will go towards Intense X. February though I'm sure I could do 5 hours a week or such..

If the project requires it I can provide Intense Pathfinding, Intense Dialogues and Intense Ai. Everything is completely parameterizable to suit any type of game/genre.
Posted By: Felixsg

Re: Let's team up - team members please post your info here - 12/28/09 19:05

hurra for larrylaffer
and hope this can be to stress test of gamestudio
and make the engine more stable

Re: Let's team up - team members please post your info here - 12/28/09 21:17

Thank you for your generosity. I see that we'll have a strong team - let's hope that the game concept will match it laugh

Re: Let's team up - team members please post your info here - 12/29/09 16:01

@George, do you want the game ideas posted here or in another thread? i have a good start on my concept, but i didnt know if i should start posting my idea. i started using your template from the AUM, but i didnt complete it because i dont know what the coding will look like, or the gui or models, but my storyline idea is there.
Posted By: Felixsg

Re: Let's team up - team members please post your info here - 12/29/09 20:34

My suggestion is
use newton physics by VET
because physX is a nvidia product
and only work well with nvidia cards
the ati not are sopported
and also old nvidia cards

note: Newton is more fast than physX in software
By logic Nvidia like that for
force to buy the cards
other option is use direxct 10 or 11
but by the moment Newton is more compatible
with all system

Re: Let's team up - team members please post your info here - 12/29/09 22:24

Quote:
because physX is a nvidia product
and only work well with nvidia cards
the ati not are sopported

sorry but this is b.s.

you actually tried a physx game on an ati card? it doesnt make a single diffrence when you turn off hardware accerelation. Most games doesnt even give you the option to "turn on" hardware accel. and they work "EXACTLY" same on both cars, actually when hw acc is turned off, gfx card becomes irrevelant it even runs same on a SiS card.

Many AAA titles use physx, if there were such thing, wouldnt you think their sales dept. think twice before using physx?

Even if that's true, the thing would be a plus for Nvidia cards but not a minus for Ati. Newton or other physics libraries give no + to any card.

Re: Let's team up - team members please post your info here - 12/30/09 21:19

I'd rather have us write the game design ideas / docs using a .doc or .pdf file - they might / should include pictures, sketches, etc that would be more difficult to post here, edit, etc. Let's get busy and exchange these docs at the beginning of January.

Re: Let's team up - team members please post your info here - 12/30/09 22:10

But what do we have so far? It's quite a waste of work if everyone starts writing their own idea in all extend, only to not be chosen.

Re: Let's team up - team members please post your info here - 12/31/09 01:52

I realize that not everyone will have the time to do this the way it should be done but I don't think that writing such a document is a waste of time in any case.
If you have a good idea, putting that idea to words and images is always a good thing. It clarifies what advantages or downsides project has and if it's original and interesting it doesn't matter if it will be accepted here and now.
With original, simple and interesting game concept, written and backed with 3D & 2D art, I'm sure anyone can find team members willing to give it a try.

Re: Let's team up - team members please post your info here - 12/31/09 01:57

i already wrote a concept, but the details for the main character(name, race, age, height, weight, etc)still in the works. i actually have an idea on how the villian/hero will look. i am making sketches of him as an adult and as a teen. i thought that a great contrast in age would be appropriate.

Re: Let's team up - team members please post your info here - 12/31/09 02:12

I think that, once finished, all game concept documents should be public. It would be a bad thing if they should be PM-ed and unaccessible to people that are interested in this project.
Maybe, if few of them happen to be really good, we can even make a small vote for the best one.

Re: Let's team up - team members please post your info here - 01/04/10 16:03

I think that it's good for each one of us to write down a quick game design doc, even if our idea won't be the chosen one - this way, the rest of the team can appreciate its potential much better. Ganderoleg has more valid points on this.

I, too, think that the docs should be made public, unless the creator of the doc wants to keep his / her work confidential.

Here's a nice game that combines two genres and might give us some ideas: Tuper Tario Tros

Re: Let's team up - team members please post your info here - 01/04/10 17:32

I think the reason why there hasn't be many replies to this yet is that most of us where just popping out ideas, hoping they'd work together with ideas from other people to make a game design. Not many people had enough ideas to make up a whole game design doc. I'll keep on thinking though. Maybe I can put mine into a whole doc.

Re: Let's team up - team members please post your info here - 01/04/10 18:15

I like the idea to run around in a game and solve quests. A co-op game is a great extension to these kind of games.

But I am no story teller and to draw a plot in another language than German is an additional problem.

My dream game would be a funny bubble gum shooter grin

You run around in a level with a kind of super soaker and a heavy backpack full of bubble gum sphere ammo. You cannot kill your opponents but glue them onto the wall/ground or stick a large blob of bubble gum onto there helmet and pump it up to a big balloon and let them float around in the air until you got their flag - if it is a kind of CTF game.
It would be a sports game with lot of unique fun.

Maybe this would work in a 2D game (check out world of goo, to see some bubble like things in action) - but to transfer this into 3D, it takes more than just a community team.

We would have to create prototypes to learn how to get the bubble feeling into the game, to see what kind of hardware is required for such a game and if it is a fun type of game at all.

But to develop a story around this idea on your own (without a supporting team) ... ignoring the technical requirements (no prototypes yet) is a kind of wasted time - don't you think?

I have used the A6 physic engine in two projects and it was no fun to use more than one physic enabled object because if two enabled object collided the physics engine appears to explode some times. Using ragdoll physics with bubble constrains... I decided to put the idea back into the big book of projects do be done with another physics engine.

Sorry for goin off topic
Posted By: Pappenheimer

Re: Let's team up - team members please post your info here - 01/04/10 19:43

Originally Posted By: slacer
My dream game would be a funny bubble gum shooter grin

This reminds me to this game, although your idea is completely different:

http://www.bubblestrugglegame.net/

Re: Let's team up - team members please post your info here - 01/04/10 19:52

its fun to play laugh
Posted By: flits

Re: Let's team up - team members please post your info here - 01/04/10 20:23

if you want that i work it out more pleas say it

broken planet (maby)

broken planet is a gamewere you need to find your way down to earth by jumping ore using ropes

there is breaking of a part of a planet and you are on that piece
now you need to try to get of by jumping on smaller pieces ore using your rope
the planets are just floating into the air (dont ask me how (looks also cool on dragonhunters))
youtube link

sometimes you need to puzzel to get to the next part like moveing boxes to get up
ore you need a big jump to get to the next part ore climbing on things like tompraider

you got also a gun you find because some wild anmials are getting crazy and are trying to atack you

broken planet images

flits

Re: Let's team up - team members please post your info here - 01/04/10 22:55

Quote:
if you want that i work it out more pleas say it

This would be great grin

Re: Let's team up - team members please post your info here - 01/04/10 23:31

i have a great game idea and a story line that would make a complete game, but i am not sure others would want to go with it. i dont want that to delay progress. thats why i havent posted it. i would love to get started, and would willing work on a project no matter who's idea it is. i just dont think everyone feels the same.

Re: Let's team up - team members please post your info here - 01/04/10 23:39

If you don't try you'll never know ... laugh

Unless you want to keep it secret of course

Re: Let's team up - team members please post your info here - 01/04/10 23:52

no, not at all. i am for the community.

Re: Let's team up - team members please post your info here - 01/05/10 00:04

Me, Myself, and My Enemy
A time jumping adventure
(c) Terrence Collins aka Blink, paranoid thoughtz multimedia
Written by Terrence Collins
Version 1.0
Saturday, December 26, 2009
1. Introduction
Elevator pitch
Me, Myself, and My Enemy (or alternatively,MMME)is a time hopping action/adventure chronicling the exploits of a disturbed scientist, hell bent on changing the past to create a better future for himself, using time travel devices and time altering devices of his own design. His plans seem to be working in his favor, until his plans are disrupted by the only person who could stop him. His younger self, who secretly stumbles upon his future self placing a time altering device in the basement of his childhood home. Knowing that the reality unfolding before his eyes is wrong, he slips into the time portal as his future self exits, before it closes and he is changed forever like his reality.

Abstract
MMME is an action/adventure game that a pits a young man against the evil intents of his future self who has created devices that alters the reality of that time, tageting moments in time that will change life as we know it forever.Our hero must enter each level set in a different time periods, search for the device using stealth tactics and weapons and tools if necessary, solve puzzles to undo the time altering damage done by his future self and unlock the distorted reality device, restoring the flow of reality to normal, then time jumping to the next period in time, following the trail of his future self, hoping to catch up with him and stop his future self before it is too late and his future becomes “true” history.

Re: Let's team up - team members please post your info here - 01/05/10 00:05

i was trying to use George's template.

Re: Let's team up - team members please post your info here - 01/05/10 00:13

see, i figure, the man from the future will "assume" positions of power by "inventing"(selling inventions that he will claim as his own, and amassing a fortune in that time)using his money as a position of power. keep in mind our hero entered the time portal after his future self, so there would be time for his future self to change a reality and continue his schemes.

Re: Let's team up - team members please post your info here - 01/05/10 11:43

I don't know if this is the right place for this. But to follow Blink's example which I like by the way. Here is my attempt at a game Idea following George's outline.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Mars Runs Red
A Space adventure
© Dennis Cameron, Arcfire software
Written by Dennis Cameron
Version 1.0
Tuesday January 5, 2010

1. Introduction

Elevator pitch

Mars Runs Red is a “Near Future”, Space Adventure game that places you stranded on the Martian surface after having crash landed killing most of your crew, and leaving you with limited food air and medical supplies. Then it finds you confronted by a yet unknown primitive life form that you must befriend or attack at your parole. Meanwhile back on Earth the multinational resources corporation you work for has been sold to the dark factions on Earth that arose out of the last major war for finance, order and control. They have sent a quote rescue ship to save you. But, a short time after they arrive you find your sole remaining crewmate brutally murdered. You must use the merger surveying and collecting equipment to make weapons find food and air supplies to keep yourself alive and escape your tormentors and worn what’s left of a civilized Earth.

Abstract

Mars Runs Red is an adventure game that allows the player to explore hidden ruins and caves of mars and perhaps an orbiting space-station or ground base for resources to fight his way to Justice. The Dark Faction knows all to well about the primitives and plans on enslaving them if possible to extract the resources of Mars to support their crumbling empire. You may be able to stop them but, will you have the time, courage, and brains needed to do it. Game can have cooperative play with primitive Martian creatures or on the Dark Side. Allows many different settings for scenes levels and puzzles.

Target audience
Kids and adults, ages 12 and up.

Target Platform

Windows-based PC. The game kit will include an executable (.exe) file that can be run.

Unique selling points

- Realistic physics for player movement in space ect.
- Enemy AI advanced;
- The game runs fine even on mid-range PCs.
- Real ethical dilemmas not situational.

I’m tired now so I hope there are no mistakes.

Re: Let's team up - team members please post your info here - 01/05/10 12:38

Thank you for these unique ideas, guys. It's good to see that you are following my template, but it's not mandatory to do it.
I am working at an ideea myself; don't expect to see anything spectacular, though laugh

Re: Let's team up - team members please post your info here - 01/05/10 21:26

This is rather exciting, i hope my idea wins,lol.

Re: Let's team up - team members please post your info here - 01/05/10 22:13

I don't want to spoil the fun, but a design document should cover complete lists of the graphical assets etc. as well, as you can see in the design document template of the last AUM.
Maybe, it is sufficient to make a design document of a prototype with complete lists and a schedule first. The example in AUM is more of a prototype than a full game, anyway.

Re: Let's team up - team members please post your info here - 01/05/10 23:03

i saw that, but i need more time to compile something like this. i can write a great storyline, even do some great storyboards, but truthfully, if i am goingto do all that i will need more time, and a new scanner to upload pictures(my scanner broke,lol). i hope the idea itself would give everyone a general idea.

Re: Let's team up - team members please post your info here - 01/05/10 23:08

also, without knowing who will be on deck to help with the graphical stuff, and modelling and shaders,etc. one persons idea will not be enough anyway. i know there are members who have the skills to make this project look great. another issue is, what type of project will this be? stylized or photorealistic(i vote for stylelized, it would be more fun to create imho)?

Re: Let's team up - team members please post your info here - 01/06/10 02:19

I think that game ideas posted by you & Guardian are very original and would make a great story-base for a game but... Pappenheimer has a point about what is expected to be presented here.

I guess that, when considering what project would be best to go with, people who will be evaluating these projects need to see several very important aspects like: Will the game be 2D or 3D oriented and to what extent? How many levels will the game have? How many models will be sufficient to populate the game-world? How will game battle-system look like (if it has battles)? Will the game be single-player or will it have hot-seat or multi-player option? Should levels have segmented or non-segmented loading system? ...and many other.

Only thing that I find not to be possible to predict is Milestones, since no one knows how big the game-team will be and what skills will be the team's weaknesses?

Re: Let's team up - team members please post your info here - 01/06/10 02:34

IMO, descriptions, lists and schedules are sufficient.
It is about estimating the amount of work.
This doesn't require any pics so far.
IMO, you even need more detailed descriptions within the lists.

For instance:
1x player model, it never fills more than a quarter of the screen, about xx polygons, only 1 skin, texture size of only 256x256, no normalmap, rigged(needed for ragdoll physics), animated, 3 animations(sitting in the car, jumping when winning, whining and falling to ground when loosing)--- things like that... only this simple but necessary asset will need more than 50 hours, because it has to be more than good, it has to be magnificent, it has to be worked over and over again to wow the gamers, to fit with the design of the other game assets and the needs of collision and whatever.

It is about whether the game needs 20 graphical assets (IMO the absolutely minimum), 200 or 2000.

It is about calculating the needed effort to finish the game.
(Because only a finished game is a game.)

Re: Let's team up - team members please post your info here - 01/06/10 03:25

ok, i understand what you mean, thanks for clarification.

Re: Let's team up - team members please post your info here - 01/06/10 19:44

The game concept is the key point in my opinion; I love a great game story, but it can't guarantee the success of the game. Don't try to write long design docs; mine will be very short and will (hopefully) explain everything clearly.
Posted By: Redeemer

Re: Let's team up - team members please post your info here - 01/06/10 19:57

Last minute request:

In case any of you are thinking of including me in this project, please do not. I'm currently very busy and I really don't have the time to work on this anymore.

Thanks.

Re: Let's team up - team members please post your info here - 01/08/10 11:12

Ok, here's my game design doc. It's far from being finished, but it should show a clear picture of my idea: The Arcade Room

Re: Let's team up - team members please post your info here - 01/08/10 12:05

thanks george, thats helpful. i am going to have to get some visuals done though to make mine look like that.
Posted By: Nowherebrain

Re: Let's team up - team members please post your info here - 01/08/10 12:29

This thread is way too long for me to read atm...

my personal resources that I can contribute.

time @12-20 hrs/week
3D skills Model/Texture/animate(primarily blender use, but not limited to)
hard edge and Organics/character work
2D texture painting/seamless texture painting
Programming...not so much I am competent, but I see there are many more competent personnel here than myself.
and lastly break-dancing/Pizza guy.

you have forgotten one of my all time favorites..
"Joust"

Re: Let's team up - team members please post your info here - 01/08/10 13:00

At a first glance the idea reminded me to "Kino One", at a second thought I think it is one of the best idea considering the team, because you can let them work on the different parts without too much concerning about cooperation, and the gameplay of classics need less explanation than a new concept.

"Create your own version of your favorite games by getting more lives for them,
customizing player’s and enemies’ behaviors, and so on."

This is not a bad selling point.

But the graphics still need an own twist.

Maybe, one could write a story with little riddles as well.
For instance:
A small boy (first person, no model needed) discovers a hidden room at his uncles room, filled with collected arcade machines of him, covered with dust. He has to push a box to a machine to stand on it when playing, the machine doesn't start unless he finds the plug and it in the socket, before he can play.
He has to hide, when the aunt is calling for him and looks into the room. (No model for the aunt needed, the boy is "discovered" when the door opens before he found a place to hide.)
The goal is to play all games before the adults find him... things like that...

Re: Let's team up - team members please post your info here - 01/08/10 13:57

yeah!!!

i know you won't believe me, but:

about a week ago i thought about that(after i've seen kino one's website).

There are many nice games that should be remaked for pc laugh

but isn't there a problem with the copyright of the games, like pacman?

very nice idea laugh

edit: I have a nice idea, i think. Why not making the game menu as a 3d room with some doors for new player and so on. That would be a nice graphical feature laugh
Posted By: LarryLaffer

Re: Let's team up - team members please post your info here - 01/08/10 16:14

It's amazing that we've already came to a point in the games industry that it's so hard to find an idea that has not already been done before. Reminds me of South Park's Episode "The Simpsons Did it."

Blink's idea reminds me of Day of the Tentacle. George's of Lazy Jones. Guardians's of Dune 1.

So far I'm inclined towards Blink's cause I just love that concept, and I like adventure games. I know I've mentioned Lazy Jones myself in an another thread but now that I think about it, we might just end up with a collection of mediocre games, instead of a really good one. So we might as well just use the games made from the Retro Competition, make a 3d room and there you go.. Arcade Room.

Anywho, looking forward for the rest of ideas layed on this forum. If I come up with anything good, I'll try to contribute as well.

Cheers,
Aris
Posted By: FBL

Re: Let's team up - team members please post your info here - 01/08/10 17:37

An easy trick to increase the playing time of a game is to include unlockable stuff.
- Higher difficulty levels
- different music
- mirrored levels
- special items to be equipped and used in game
- new playable characters
- time attack mode

Also adding some insane and basically almost undoable task which unlocks something can help to make people play the game for hours.
Special quests like collect 100 gems, finish under 30 seconds, find the 3 purple ducks will increase the replay value.

Just some thoughts.

----------------------

Example: Onechanbara (Wii)
I'm picking this game because I recently played it totaling up a playtime well over 40h.
The game itself is a 3rd person bloody zombie hack'n slay game, but the genre does not matter too much here.

It starts out with 8 stages and 2 charactres.
In fact it's 4 big stages, 3 boss level (which is only a single room for each boss) and a big room where you're spammed with hordes of zombies.
The stages are in a different order for each character, some stages are walked the other way round for the second character. Meaning the end for character one is starting point for character 2 and vice versa.

There are three boss fights. One battle is the two characters against each other, so two more characters are needed.

By finishing the first two stories, you get the remaining two characters with their own stories.
Difficulty level starts out with "normal". After finishing this, you get "Hard", finishing this one you get "Violent" and finally you get "berserk". For each of the 4 characters!
After finishing all difficulties you get new costumes.

Additionally there are monsters hidden in the levels which drop rings. Those rings can be used to improve character skills.

Finally two more game modes are available:
- Survival: get spammed with hords of zombies until you die! Difficulty raises each cycle.
- Quest: For each character for each stage there are 5 special tasks you have to fulfill. By fulfilling tasks you gain new costumes.

Let's face it:
- 4 levels, 4 characters.
- The enemies remain the same for each character story.
- Some little story blablah for each character.
- Bosses are reused from the characters

=> playtime is increased remarkably by adding intended repetition. But if the game itself is fun, repetition is not too bad.
This strategy should be considered to blow up the game content.

To show what I mean, I added a FAQ from qamefaqs.com
http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/wii/file/943440/52297
It lists all the unlockables. Just skip the remaining information about the game in there. It is not of interest for this discussion I think.

Any comments?

Re: Let's team up - team members please post your info here - 01/08/10 17:40

Yes, Firoball is right, such tricks are often used.

Look at the lego star wars series wink

Re: Let's team up - team members please post your info here - 01/08/10 20:55

Thank you for the offer, Nowherebrain; we need more artists.

Pappenheimer: I like your story and I could see a great cut scene being made after we finish the game. You are right, choosing a game like mine makes it easier for the team members. It's an idea I've cooked for 1-2 years but I didn't have enough energy to write the doc for it until now.

Yes, the games would be customizable, even if this means that you get much tougher enemies, etc

Rei_Ayanami: if you name your games differently and you don't use characters that look like the originals you won't run into trouble.

Thank you for the valuable input, Firo!

I'm anxious to see other people's docs. Let's wait until the 15th of January and then we'll decide what game to pick.

Re: Let's team up - team members please post your info here - 01/08/10 21:19

i better get started finishing my document!

Re: Let's team up - team members please post your info here - 01/10/10 22:37

I have finally managed to upload GD document to FileFront. It comes with small application that showcases audio-visual & movement-battle-action concept.

Here is the link:
http://www.filefront.com/15331635/Sorcerers.zip

For those who find 90mb to heavy to download here is just the GD document:

Original OpenOffice ODT file...
http://www.filefront.com/15330497/Sorcerers.odt

MicrosoftWord DOC file...
http://www.filefront.com/15330513/Sorcerers.doc

...& few screens riped from application:

...hope you all enjoy it.

Re: Let's team up - team members please post your info here - 01/11/10 00:54

i am afraid to download it. with your graphic capability, i am a duck on the water,lol. i wish i had more time,

@ George, is ther a possibility to extend the deadline? i just need more time to put everything together, i still am working on test screens.

Re: Let's team up - team members please post your info here - 01/11/10 10:48

Ok, let's make it the 20th of January then. I'd like to have us start working asap.

Re: Let's team up - team members please post your info here - 01/11/10 11:50

thanks, that give me enough time to at least give a better example.

Re: Let's team up - team members please post your info here - 01/11/10 20:42

I'm brewing some concepts loosely based on a 3D version of joust, think World of Warcraft flight paths(minus the paths) and terrain(but much better foliage) built around a destruction derby style gameplay with pickups and bosses, but this is just initial concept...I need to iron out some stuff....is it feasible to do multiplayer etc...
I think it would be good to have a way to either network(stick a coder, an artist, and a designer) together and work in cells....just a thought.

Re: Let's team up - team members please post your info here - 01/11/10 21:52

Will anyone include Milestones in GDDocument? We haven't been able to figure out what to put so we left them out.

As for Sorcerers I know that number of rooms and models seems a bit too much work but I think with 3-4 levelers this can be done in a 2 months time. My top is one room per day (together with shadowmapping) once the texture-geometry-color matching is done(that could take 2-3 days per level).
As for models that's another story since Sorcerers concept can include 2D characters because of static battle-system.

Btw- does anyone has some bigger critic concerning Sorcerers concept? There has been a nice number of downloads but no critics. I could change or modify document if something is wrong until the dead-line.

Re: Let's team up - team members please post your info here - 01/13/10 19:18

i think everyone is waiting until after the 20th to vote. btw, it looks great. i wish i could do that,lol.

Re: Let's team up - team members please post your info here - 01/13/10 20:00

Thanx smile ...& yeah it has been little quiet here in a last few days. I hope some people are also working on their GDD's.
' Hope to see your GDD soon, I liked the storyline a lot.

Re: Let's team up - team members please post your info here - 01/13/10 21:12

being unemployed is a lot of work...I have a few projects going on(one from another member of the forum) so this week is just stuffed, but I am working on my project still...I will do the art and some mock up code, but after that is done I am hoping some one can come in a do some code clean up...but that is down the road about a month....I still need to finish my docs.

Re: Let's team up - team members please post your info here - 01/13/10 21:35

its so difficult with my full time job and spending time with my family. i probably wont get much accomplished by the deadline. truth of the matter is, my storyline imho has a lot of potential to make a great game, and i am sure everyone else thinks the same thing about their project. if mine doesnt get picked, i am still going to try and put it together myself when i get done with my current project(also a great game imho,lol). i just thought that since there were so many members with so many good strengths in other areas besides story writing, this group project had a lot of potential. it just seems like evryone wants their story told....oh well, i just wish everyone good luck and i hope i can help whom ever it is that wins. @ ganderoleg, thanks! i hope we get to work together someday.

Re: Let's team up - team members please post your info here - 01/14/10 02:51

I’ve been playing this game “Plants vs. Zombies” for the past week or so. It’s kind of a retro game something like space invaders but with waves of zombies. If George’s idea is carried forward with anything like this sort of quality we should do pretty well. I think like most I favor doing an adventure game, however. Some of the narratives so far could be combined to make the retro game idea more interesting to all.

I’ve done all I planned on doing for my game ideas, looking forward to what happens next.

Re: Let's team up - team members please post your info here - 01/14/10 11:54

Please don't concentrate on great stories for now. Game mechanics have a greater priority.

Re: Let's team up - team members please post your info here - 01/15/10 03:36

Me, Myself, and My Enemy
A time jumping action / adventure
(c) Terrence Collins aka Blink, paranoid thoughtz multimedia
Written by Terrence Collins
Version 1.0
Thursday, Jan. 14, 2010
 1. Introduction
 Elevator pitch
 Me, Myself, and My Enemy is a time hopping action/adventure chronicling the exploits of a deranged scientist, hell bent on changing the past, using time travel devices of his own design. As his plans seem to be working in his favor, his plans are disrupted by the only person who could possibly stop him. His younger self.
 Abstract
 MMME is an action/adventure game that a pits a young man against the evil intents of his future self.Our hero must enter each level set in a different time period, solve puzzles to undo the time altering damage done by his future self. Missions can be stealth like to slip in and out of areas undetected or you can try to blend in with the time period, but you must avoid your future self at all costs or your cover will be blown. Your future self has attained positions of power in each time period, so you may have to watch out for henchmen. So there are some times where you may have to flee or “create” diversions or use traps to get out of peril.
Target audience
 Kids and adults, ages 6 and up.
Target Platform
 Windows-based PC. The game kit will include an executable (.exe) file that can be run.
 Unique selling points
-Level exploration, stealth like missions, with puzzle elements, booby trap setting;
- Alterate ending, depending on how player “chooses his path” in the end;
- The game runs fine even on low-end PCs.

2. Game Play
 Game Mechanics
Running the executable (.exe) file displays the main menu, which includes 4 selections that allow the player to set the start a new game, load a previously played level with current saved progress intact, options to adjust volume control of gam music, sound fx, and screen resoluton as well as window mode or full screen. The main menu bitmap also includes an "Exit" button, which shuts down the game.

The game begins by clicking the "Start" button on the main menu. A short cuscene will play and the mission screen show what tasks lay ahead for the player as well as what time period it is and the event in that time period that has been altered. He also carries an instrument that has a tracking device on it and radar letting the player know what types of items he is searching for and the direction he his going. The gameplay is generally linear, and upon assessment of what the missions are, the player can determine what mission he can tackle first and collect items that will allow him to solve the final puzzle on that level and allow him to open a portal to the next area.
The Player
 The player uses low polygon teenager body type with various animations. Enemies use various types of bodies and the main protagonist is an adult version of the player.

Game Controls
 a) Player controls
- W or cursor up = walk up
- S or cursor down = walk back
- A or cursor left = walk left
- D or cursor right = walk right
- Space = jump
- left mouse = fire weapon
b) Additional keys
- E = examine/use object
- F = flashlight (if equipped)
- G = duck
- V= call mission screen 
All the needed keys are displayed on the "Help" bitmap, which can be accessed from the main menu, as well as while playing the game by pressing the F1 key.

Level design
 The level will consist of five different areas set in different time periods and a sub level for each level to solve puzzle to “follow” your future self through time.
The Player
 The player uses low polygon teenager body type with various animations. Enemies use various types of bodies and the main protagonist is an adult version of the player. You can interact and talk with npc's at different times to sometimes gain information or aquire objects that may help you complete missions.

3. Game Screens

Player “hiding behind crates in basement, after witnessing his “future self setting a time portal, and is about to “time jump” to a another time period.

I think thats all i can do for now, i dont have time for a demo right now. hopefully, this will be an example of what i envisioned.

Re: Let's team up - team members please post your info here - 01/15/10 14:27

Totally love that Idea, Blink.
I think it's the best one so far, but I would really like it if we would use the same location for each level; the house (and garden?) of the character, in different time periods. I'd love to see how the thing changes from a normal house (present) to a futuristic villa with a big garage (in the past) and back into an old, worn down hut (past).

What I'm missing is more concrete puzzles, but I do realize you said time was short for you.

Re: Let's team up - team members please post your info here - 01/15/10 15:33

Thanks Germanunkol, i was thinking about the puzzles, there will be certain "artifacts" or objects that have to be collected, and the portal is set up in a way that you have to use those artifacts/object found on each level in order to activate it. i am still thinking this through. we can also think outside the box, it might not have to be just objects that have to be found, but clues and the way a rooms objects are set up may be the key, and you will have to re-arrange the items or furniture in that room to activate the portal. i dont know, this can be really exciting if we do it right, and a fun game to play.
Posted By: BUG

Re: Let's team up - team members please post your info here - 01/16/10 10:35

I really like the idea of making a stealth/puzzle oriented game. Also, the locations which will look different from time period to time period is another good idea laugh

Re: Let's team up - team members please post your info here - 01/16/10 12:52

This is a very good entry and I also like the same location/different time idea. This could be a fun game to play.
If it gets chosen the only thing that should be considered is how to make this concept to be casual/to have repetitive character. Maybe if we can find the way to keep changing the location of the puzzles & their content in some random manner, make going back and forth through time the main strategy, also maybe some time-limitations...

Re: Let's team up - team members please post your info here - 01/16/10 22:36

How about having to set up something in the past so you can use it in the future? Example: You really need a rotten apple. So you take your apple, put it into the past, go back into the present and there it is, rotting away...

I heard of someone doing that in a game with wine/vinegar, though I don't remember what game.

Sorry, i don't want to get too fond with this idea, incase another story wins the final voting, but as the puzzles will be a very important element, I think we should focus on them beforehand. Also, what perspective were you thinking? I'd like 3rd person, maybe over-the-shoulder. If the character's done right, then you'll get used to him and maybe start liking him.

Re: Let's team up - team members please post your info here - 01/17/10 04:13

i was thinking 3rd person, and when the player has to solve certain puzzles, the perspective will switch. the rotten apple thing is brilliant, btw.

Re: Let's team up - team members please post your info here - 01/17/10 22:36

I hope nobody minds that I post my suggestions although I have no time to participate:
@ Blink:
You could start a thread to collect riddles which fit with your story, if you don't find enough time to develop these on your own.
Just a thought.

Re: Let's team up - team members please post your info here - 01/18/10 03:25

thats a great idea, thanks pappenheimer! i was hoping if my idea was considered as the project that we are going to work on that the team creates the puzzles, so it wont be all my idea, but a team effort.

Re: Let's team up - team members please post your info here - 01/18/10 22:29

It's two days until deadline so I just wanted to post a quick reminder of what we have so far.
Six different game ideas/design documents have been submitted & they are:

SLACER
>BUBBLE GUM SHOOTER<
http://www.opserver.de/ubb7/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=304054#Post304054

FLITS
>BROKEN PLANET<
http://www.opserver.de/ubb7/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=304062#Post304062

GUARDIAN
>MARS RUNS RED<
http://www.opserver.de/ubb7/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=304147#Post304147

GEORGE
>THE ARCADE ROOM<
http://www.opserver.de/ubb7/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=304486#Post304486

GANDEROLEG
>SORCERERS<
http://www.opserver.de/ubb7/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=304804#Post304804

BLINK
>ME, MYSELF, AND MY ENEMY<
http://www.opserver.de/ubb7/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=305484#Post305484

I think this is not bad but I hope there will be few GIs/GDDs more until wednesday.
Posted By: Superku

Re: Let's team up - team members please post your info here - 01/19/10 01:15

I like the idea to be on the mars and the idea of time travel.
I'm not a team member but why not use the idea of time travel to create a puzzle oriented jump'n'run with puzzle related abilities, for example:

Re: Let's team up - team members please post your info here - 01/19/10 06:45

Hello Ganderoleg,

I'm having difficulty uploading my files for this project. I can't find the File Manager when I try to reply to anyone on this forum, so I'm not sure how I can post my files here. I know I'm cutting this pretty short, but I'd be greatful if you can give me any help.

Thankyou

Re: Let's team up - team members please post your info here - 01/19/10 10:33

Superku: from what I understand, what you're showing is "flipping" gravity. Which is a great gameplay idea, but I don't see the "time traveling" part in it?

SirCamaris: For images etc, use www.picfront.org to upload the image, then post the link (or thumbnail link) that you get here in this thread.

@ Blink, Puzzle idea: You need to get a key that is below a very heavy object. Problem is: you can't lift the object and at the same time snatch the key. Solution: You place a "checkpoint" (enter key?) in time, then walk towards the crate and lift the heavy object. Then you wait as long as you'll need to get the key. Then you press the "go to checkpoint" key (space?) which rewinds the time to the part where (and when grin ) you placed the checkpoint. Now, you see your old self start walking from there to the object and lifting it. At the same time you can go to the key and get it to open the door, while your old self is lifting the object for you.
Could be expanded to pretty much anything where you need help from someone else (opening a heavy door, lifting something that you can only lift if there's more than one person, throwing and catching some object).
At some point, when the player has gotten to a higher level, we could add the ability to switch between the characters (because in the end, who cares which version of yourself saves the day). Example:
A catapult is used to throw some breakable object. You need yourself to catch it, otherwise it breaks. But you also need yourself to launch the object with the catapult. So character version 1 sets a checkpoint and then goes to stand where the catapult will fire. then he returns to the checkpoint and version 2 walks to the catapult to fire it. version 1 catches the object, player hits F2 to bring up a screen with 2 character-avatars on it, he clicks on the first one and now he plays version 1 again, who holds the object and then walks to where the object is needed.

You could even sacrifice versions of yourself tongue... though that might get a little too complex for a casual game grin.

Still, even if all this sounds complex: if setup right (and we certainly have enough coders for it) it should be no problem, but make room for many puzzle-ideas.

Sorry, long post... O.o

Re: Let's team up - team members please post your info here - 01/19/10 10:40

This sounds familiar. Braid? wink

Re: Let's team up - team members please post your info here - 01/19/10 13:13

@SirCamaris
You can use Servimg (http://www.servimg.com) for pictures or PicFront (http://www.picfront.org) as Germanunkol suggested for pictures/rar/zips. If you have files up to 600mb you can use Filefront (http://www.filefront.com).
If your posting game design document you should post it in doc/pdf format, and if your posting game idea use simple reply.
George made 20.01.2010 to be the deadline for GDDs/GIs posting.

...to be honest I'm not sure what happens after the deadline. Maybe George will choose one project or make the project choosing to be public or make some sort of compilation-project from posted GDDs and Gis. We'll see.

Re: Let's team up - team members please post your info here - 01/19/10 21:19

@Germanunkol: thats brilliant, i would love to see something like that in a game, what a great idea, thanks! i am really trying to not get overly anxious about my project idea, the voting isnt done yet, and i might not win, but the possibilities are endless! sacrificing a version of yourself, thats awesome!

Re: Let's team up - team members please post your info here - 01/19/10 21:21

if i dont win, i might have to try and make this game myself after we finish the team project!

Re: Let's team up - team members please post your info here - 01/20/10 01:51

Thank you Ganderoleg and Germanunkol. I was only able to upload pictures with picfront, so I wound up posting my files on angelfire. Here is a link to my website. The zip file containing the demo is only 3 Mb but doesn't download perfectly the first time. It may take several tries for it to download fully (I don't know why this is, but it's annoying).Make sure that it says that 3 Mb have been transferred. Thanks again for your support. Sir Camaris DungeonSouls

Re: Let's team up - team members please post your info here - 01/20/10 07:37

I won't pick the best project; the entire community will vote - this will allow us to see what's interesting for a larger number of gamers. The team members will pick their favorites afterwards. If, for some reason, one of the projects won't prove to be too good at the prototype stage, we'll switch to the second one on the list, and so on.

Re: Let's team up - team members please post your info here - 01/20/10 11:38

thats a good idea, George. will the voting start today then?

Re: Let's team up - team members please post your info here - 01/20/10 11:52

Tomorrow.

Re: Let's team up - team members please post your info here - 01/20/10 15:58

@George
Sorry for being a bore but I was thinking about it and I can't get it blush
After the community has voted, team members will vote for the same projects as the community or will they vote between, let's say, two-three projects that got the highest number of votes by the community?
...and just one more question: how long will the voting last? Because I had some plans that I can skip if voting lasts only one day, or not if voting time is two-three days or more.

@SirCamaris
I downloaded Dungeon Souls pdf & demo and it's very nice idea. I'm just not so sure what you mean when you say seamless texturing? Equal spacing seems o.k. but do you think that the corridors should also have same design from segment to segment? That could be a bit confusing.

Re: Let's team up - team members please post your info here - 01/20/10 18:16

The community will vote the best project; this is a very important step that will tell the team if a certain project will have a chance to sell many copies or not. The following step will be decided together with the team members.
I think that we'll keep the poll alive for 5-7 days.

Re: Let's team up - team members please post your info here - 01/20/10 21:43

wow, the anticipation!!! this is going to be exciting!!!!

Re: Let's team up - team members please post your info here - 01/20/10 22:32

Thank you for the compliment Ganderoleg. I'm not too familiar with creating textures but what I meant about seamless texturing was that the textures will tile along a wall without any visual errors/seams (the player will not perceive the texture as being tiled). I agree with you that the corridors should have some variation on different segments but that difference should still blend into the base texture. Maybe a separate sprite can be placed over a wall segment that needs to be visually different.
Posted By: rojart

Re: Let's team up - team members please post your info here - 01/21/10 04:35

ok, here is my Design Document, maybe you like it. smile

Re: Let's team up - team members please post your info here - 01/21/10 06:36

The pic Looks nice, i defenitly have à Look at Home wink
Posted By: FBL

Re: Let's team up - team members please post your info here - 01/21/10 07:21

Very nice design doc.

Re: Let's team up - team members please post your info here - 01/21/10 11:23

One of the team members has asked me to wait one more day with the voting.

Re: Let's team up - team members please post your info here - 01/21/10 23:27

Can't wait to help programming laugh I am sure you lads will assemble a fine idea!

Re: Let's team up - team members please post your info here - 01/22/10 00:35

nice, rojart. not the type of game i like to play, but i like how much you were able to put together, you could do this as a game by yourself if you decided to, you done so much in such a short period of time. Good luck!
Posted By: mikaldinho

Re: Let's team up - team members please post your info here - 02/21/10 15:13

this came up when i opened the pdf-

http://mikesgames.deviantart.com/art/the-broken-pdf-154915899
© 2024 lite-C Forums