Untitled Platformer - Game design, ideas, etc

Posted By: George

Untitled Platformer - Game design, ideas, etc - 02/08/10 20:58

Please post any other info here.
Posted By: SirCamaris

Re: Untitled Platformer - Game design, ideas, etc - 02/09/10 02:25

I like the idea of the player being portrayed as a divininty who must rediscover themselves and their powers. The speed and variation of the levels of Superku's videos is interesting and the anti-gravity/time-shifting properties are certainly of a divine nature, but I think the main character/player should be more human in form similar to Gandaroleg's sketches of the dark divinity. I think Superku mentioned the levels being open, like the Metroid series (Super Metroid was my favorite). I think this is a good idea, we can have a huge outdoor/underground map broken into segments that are built and tested separately then assembled together. Within this giant outdoor world, can be doors/portals that lead to "temples" or levels similar to George's demo. After defeating a boss in a temple, the player acquires new powers that enable him/her to proceed to areas previously unattainable. I posted some ideas for abilities and controls for the player that maybe could be considered. Here's the link Abilities
Posted By: FBL

Re: Untitled Platformer - Game design, ideas, etc - 02/09/10 06:54

Although I'm currently not a team member I want to add the information collected from the previous thread here again.

http://etherpad.com/rXhFZCN70j

Feel free to edit the whenever the game details get more concrete.

Re: Untitled Platformer - Game design, ideas, etc - 02/09/10 09:25

Thank you a lot, Firo!

Right now I think that the brother / sister idea is better. We could have them work together in a level (one at a time) in order to solve puzzles, defeat monsters, etc. The big sister would be able to reverse the gravity from the very beginning and the little brother (and his sister as well?) would learn different abilities as he advances in the game.

This would allow us to mix puzzles and arcade. Here's a simple example: the exit door is locked and guarded by a monster. The sister pushes a button on the ceiling to open the door, the monster gets out, the brother pushes a box that locks it into a certain area of the level, allowing both brothers to reach the exit door, etc. What do you think?

Re: Untitled Platformer - Game design, ideas, etc - 02/09/10 11:54

Reminds me a bit of Lost Vikings.

The concept works very well.

Re: Untitled Platformer - Game design, ideas, etc - 02/09/10 12:30

Lost Vikings was the first PC game I've played and loved laugh
Posted By: Pappenheimer

Re: Untitled Platformer - Game design, ideas, etc - 02/09/10 14:40

This game's description reminds me to Gobliiins, which I emntion because of the quite easy art style which is easy to achieve and to maintain in a team with different artists:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eduD4XZ5xq4

EDIT:
Uu, sorry, didn't want to post in the internal thread - was sort of a reflex!
Posted By: BUG

Re: Untitled Platformer - Game design, ideas, etc - 02/09/10 16:44

@ the brother/sister idea:
What about if the brother could change the gravity while the sister could switch between two time periods?
Posted By: Germanunkol

Re: Untitled Platformer - Game design, ideas, etc - 02/09/10 18:01

That was the initial Idea, yeah.

I don't think we should add too many other abilities, two or three should do. Then we can concentrate on cool puzzles instead...
What we CAN do is upgrade the abilities: more frequent time-switching and more directions the gravity can be turned towards (first only up and down, then right and left)...

Re: Untitled Platformer - Game design, ideas, etc - 02/09/10 18:20

Pappenheimer: thank you for the link. Don't worry, this is a more general thread so anyone can post here; we are thankful for all the ideas.

I agree that we shouldn't give too many abilities to the brother / sister; the new powers should be the icing on the cake. Using the two characters in the same level allows us to add many arcade elements to the game: we can crush monsters using boxes, open or close gates that lock or release the monsters, etc.

Re: Untitled Platformer - Game design, ideas, etc - 02/09/10 19:18

I updated the Etherpad a bit towards the boy/girl scenario and moved all the links to games in a reference section.
Posted By: ratchet

Re: Untitled Platformer - Game design, ideas, etc - 02/09/10 22:35

Some 2D design of retro remade games !
Perhaps it could give some ideas on the graphic 2D style ?

Some other :
Breed

muramasa

Another way to create 2D animated characters :
OMG Pirates technic details

Another mix : 2D View and Top view of a remade arcade game :
Just watch the user rating to see that lot of people like the
well done remake games !
Blaster Master remake

Re: Untitled Platformer - Game design, ideas, etc - 02/10/10 01:19

Blaster Master for Nintendo was probably one of my all time favorites. I recently downloaded that version for the Wii and played a few levels. I didn't realize Sunsoft remade the game for WiiWare. Looks like fun.
Posted By: txesmi

Re: Untitled Platformer - Game design, ideas, etc - 02/10/10 16:27

hi team!

i inserted some menu descriptions into pad. I thought it was missing in proyect document. I tried putting all needed screens but maybe something is missing or unnecessary. I don't finish it at all.

Salud!

Re: Untitled Platformer - Game design, ideas, etc - 02/10/10 19:33

txesmi, that's pretty precise... I really look forward to making that menu laugh

I'd like to propose a "version" of the gamedesign idea, that we can mabye vote on. I'll try to incorporate and summarize the discussions that were done in the recent days while at the same time keeping it close to Superku's original Idea, since that was the one people voted for. The main difference to Superku's version will be that the player does not play the divinity, instead he plays a sister and her brother who are trying to get out of a dream world which the divinity brought the brother to.

World/Levels:

Quote from Superku's game design doc: "Untitled Project is a sidescrolling Windows-PC jump'n'run that focuses on puzzles and especially on exploration."
Because of the "puzzle" element, I would not go for an open world, but suggest that the normal levels are "linear" levels. This would mean that the player can choose whether to use the upper or lower set of platforms within a level to complete it, but the goal is simply to get from the very left of the level to the very right of the level, to find a piece of the mystic amulet there and then get moved to the next level. In a later segment of the game, the levels could need to be played backwards, while trying to escape from the dream-world. The levels would be changed then, with a different mood and with more rocks/enemies in them. This is something we can decide on later though.
To fit the brother/sister theme, the world would be a dream-like world, with abstract plants and creatures, but in a nice, maybe even beautiful style, not in a horror or nightmare-ish way.

Characters: The player controls only the sister at first and, once she's found her little brother, the player can switch between the two at will (using keys 1 and 2 by default).
I wouldn't go for too many abilities, instead I'd only give one ability to each character and upgrade that further while moving through the game. It'll be simpler to code and focus more on the puzzle side of the game and less on a roleplaying-style-game.
Sister: (first character, in search for her younger brother):
  • 1) Gravitiy switching: Up/Down. This is done using the double-jump-method: you jump once, then while in the air your movement slows down a little, giving the player time to choose a direction (W and S keys by default). This direction will be the direction you will now fall to, because you've switched gravity.
  • 2) Gravity switching: Right/Left. See 1), except that the gravity can now also be changed to pull left/right (A and D keys by default).
  • 3) Gravity switching: With Movable Objects: Same as 1) and 2), except that when using this ability (TFGH keys), movable objects (boxes, crates, stones, enemies and the brother character) will fall into the given direction as well.
Brother: (second character, playable after you've found him)
  • 1) Time Period switching A: switching between two time periods, but only in special areas (close to shrines?)
  • 2) Time Period switching B: siwtching between two time periods, anywhere

Depending on the puzzles in the game, we can decide that the brother mustn't leave the "eyesight" of the sister, meaning that while playing one character you can only move him/her so far away that the camera, which follows the active character, is still seeing the other character.

Gameplay:
Goal of the first part of the game would be to find the little brother, goal of the second part to find and destroy the divinity (we need a cool name for him :P) and goal of the third part of the game would be to leave the dream-world (and return to the sibling's bedchamber?).

Game Style: The game's a 2d Sidescroller, of course, but George has mentioned using 3d functions (c_trace/c_move), so I suggest that the game itself will be created in a 3d world with an isometric view, with sprites both infront of and behind the 3d world, that will form the background (trees, clouds) and foreground (grass, plants), while the 3d world will be the one that the user can interact with (characters, enemies, platforms/doors/boxes/crates/stones/spikes... whatever we need). This will allow the programmers to progress fast without needing any special 2d-work, they can use simple 3dgs-predefined functions and make testing-levels quickly. If we do it right, it could also result in a very unique style.

Are there any oppinions on this? Sorry for the long post tongue....

Re: Untitled Platformer - Game design, ideas, etc - 02/10/10 19:40

Maybe we can have two rather short story modes at the beginning of the game.
You can select whether to play girl or boy at the beginning and depending on your choice you'll see that part of the game.
Once you have played both stories (girl on the way to rescue, boy on the way to escape... and at the end they meet and now have to get rid of that dark divinity or so), you'll be able to play the main storyline, where the siblings have to cooperate (in their own stories you only have one character).

This basically is the "start with one, finish with two" idea, just separated into story. So the player gets the feeling to have unlocked sth.

This would allow to introduce both main concepts (time warp for the girl, gravity change for the boy - or vice versa) separately.
Also for the girl we could use some "warm" setting, while the boy is placed in some darker, creepy world, since he's escaping.
After having introduced both concepts, there's the possibility to mix up all the styles. Maybe like this: nice friendly past, dark, sad and scary future.
Posted By: RedPhoenix

Re: Untitled Platformer - Game design, ideas, etc - 02/10/10 20:04

One important question to the concept as it is done so far: For which age will the game be designed??

I think it's important to answer this question before we can decide about the story and the style in detail. Because an older audience needs a, well let's say more "advanced" story than it would be for a younger age, where gameplay would be most important aspect and story line less important.

Example: When I think about the brother/sister with special abilities plot as we have it so far, I ask myself: Why do brother/sister have special abilities, why are they divided, why are they in a dreamworld and so on. If our gamne will be for children, we won't have to deal with those questions that much. A child propably won't ask for the reasons and the story could focus on the action. But if not, our story should clear up aspects like these.

Re: Untitled Platformer - Game design, ideas, etc - 02/10/10 20:47

I like Firo's idea with playing the two different stories at the very beginning.

I think that the game should target an audience of 7+. This means that we have to write a story, but I think that it won't be very hard to do it.

Re: Untitled Platformer - Game design, ideas, etc - 02/11/10 19:01

Okay,
I think we're all ok with brother/sister team ages 7+ and up?
Because then we should close that part and concentrate on gravity switching next.
In the Etherpad there's still a lot of options and ideas concerning this. We should narrow this down.

From what I've understood the artist team is going to concentrate on the visuals in parallel, so we should use this to get a solid base.

What do you think, George?

Sorry if I was taking your role now, but I thought we should get away from new and new proposals now and decide what to take in and leave out.
Hope that's ok...
Posted By: Joozey

Re: Untitled Platformer - Game design, ideas, etc - 02/11/10 19:47

I am against apologising for acting and just act ^^. If someone disagrees you'll hear soon enough, but I doubt it; otherwise that person would have stepped up earlier to take over the management (like firo is doing now). I say: thumbs up for the decisions made so far!!
Posted By: slacer

Re: Untitled Platformer - Game design, ideas, etc - 02/11/10 20:45

I like the brother/sister 7+ idea and I think my kids will be happy to test the game as soon as possible.

I don't know if it was already mentioned, but we need to create localized versions of the game. Most 7 year old kids cannot follow a story in a foreign language.
HUD/Menu/Panels/Help - should be planned to be localizable (available in different languages).

Do you agree with me?

Re: Untitled Platformer - Game design, ideas, etc - 02/11/10 23:45

I was thinking about the brother/sister concept and was reminded of the nursery rhyme Jack and Jill. I then looked it up on Wikipediea. Here is the link: Jack and Jill I'm thinking that many parents know of this rhyme and tell it to their kids, so maybe if they see the video game with a short description of the story, they might buy it for them. If the game does not have too much violence and focuses on puzzle solving, we might be able to pitch the game as semi educational: the kids will get to know the story, and remember the moral while also learning how to problem solve. If we are okay with this idea, maybe the kids names can be Jack and Jill. Nowhere in the nursery rhyme does it mention a father, however, there is a mother. As suggested in one version of the rhyme, the mother punishes Jill for causing the disaster(Jacks fall). Here's a quick story, Jack and Jill go up the hill to fill a pail of water from the villages only well. They fight over it causing the water to spill and Jacks crown falling in the well. The water can be symbolic of life and the crown of power. After losing both the water and crown, the village is in trouble. Now both Jack and Jill must enter the dried up well to retrieve both. The well however is dry, so the two must work together, going into the depths of the world beneath the well to find the water and crown they so desparately need to survive. I could continue, but this post is becoming lengthy and I thought maybe others would like to fill in the blanks...

Re: Untitled Platformer - Game design, ideas, etc - 02/12/10 07:12

Ah I wan tto insert one important thing.

This game should be suitable for children as well as for older people. So we will need selectable difficulty levels for sure.

To make it challenging htere should be puzzles where you need to think for quite a while to keep people motivated, but this might be too complex for little children.

This makes designing the levels a lot more difficult.

Opinions?

Is this game supposed to be SUITABLE for ages 7+ (concerning visuals, story) or is it supposed to be PLAYABLE for aged 7+ (concerning puzzles, difficulty)?

Re: Untitled Platformer - Game design, ideas, etc - 02/12/10 08:30

I have searched the net looking for the best brother / sister game that comes close enough to what we have discussed here. Here's the link:

The Forest Temple

Try to play through the first few levels to see how it goes. Our game will have a 3D world, but it can use sprites for the characters as well.
Firo, I think that the levels don't need to be extremely complicated; the puzzle / arcade combination should provide the fun.

Re: Untitled Platformer - Game design, ideas, etc - 02/12/10 20:53

Maybe there can be different exit doors in each level. They can be color coded so that players can choose their level of difficulty. In the first level, there can be a short tutorial similar to George's sign in his demo.

Re: Untitled Platformer - Game design, ideas, etc - 02/12/10 21:04

The different exit doors is an interesting idea.

Re: Untitled Platformer - Game design, ideas, etc - 02/13/10 13:18

Ok, to get this further...

Boy
- special ability: gravity switch

I thought about what was written here and tried to think about level design. Soon I noticed it is pretty difficult to design levels allowing complex gravity changes without making it possible to finish the level in an unwanted way.
Also I had the feeling the overwhelming options to the player might appear distracting.

So I fleshed out following, pretty simple idea:

- Boy can switch gravity by using double jump. For now I don't see a necessary limitation necessary to it directly(*).
- Only up/down can be switched
- There are boxes, enemies and stuff with an outstanding visual appearance to signalize they will react on a gravity switch.
- Other objects won't react on the gravity switch
- to make this less confusing, the camera view should also turn upside down. So you always walk around with feet on the ground. (Without having falling boxes it might work without turning the view, but I guess it looks alien when the view orientation stays the same and suddenly boxes fall to the top of the screen)

(*) Instead of limiting the gravity feature by time limit, allow special levels where the gravtiy feature has to be switched on by disabling some security stuff in the level.

Girl:
- special ability: time warp

Still to be defined: What has to be done to perform a time warp. I'm not sure if a simple button pres will work here.
e.g. Sonic CD did time travels by having Future/Past/Present signs you had to touch. Afterwards you needed to make Sonic faster and faster until he warped.

Input needed here.

This s nothing final, this is just what I collected together and thought makes sense. Feel free to take it apart if you dislike the strict regulation laugh

Re: Untitled Platformer - Game design, ideas, etc - 02/13/10 13:30

Right now the programmers' team has started to work at the player code. We'll have two players and only one of them will be able to switch the gravity by double jumping. I agree that we shouldn't make the things too complex; 180 degrees gravity switching should be enough, at least for now. At this point I think that only the player should react to the gravity switch; we'll probably add light and heavy boxes that fall down to the floor / raise up in the air when they aren't blocked by other obstacles.

We are trying to come up with a quick prototype and see how fun that is to play, and then we'll decide on the following steps. We'll probably post the link to it here and see what you guys think about it.

Re: Untitled Platformer - Game design, ideas, etc - 02/13/10 17:18

George please let me know when you need one of the following:
- Inventory
- State manager
- Key assignment

I have scripts ready for that. They need some more tweaking but the basics work and might be useful for your game.

In this case I'll join the team in march if still someone is needed.
If not, that's okay too.

Re: Untitled Platformer - Game design, ideas, etc - 02/13/10 20:11

Thank you for the generous offer, Firo. I'll contact the lead programmer and see what he says.

Re: Untitled Platformer - Game design, ideas, etc - 02/14/10 19:56

Dear team members,

Please check Jared's remake of my first level in our skydrive account; he has added a 3d component to my level (an idea we should consider).

Thank you.
Posted By: slacer

Re: Untitled Platformer - Game design, ideas, etc - 02/14/10 20:28

It would help if the folders names follow the forums names.
I could not find a "Jared" folder. If you talk about "SirCamaris" - I tried this level already.

But it is hard to see the gaps in the floor and roof. Don't know if a 7 year old kid would try that without additional hints (arrows or smoke particles could give an idea of possible ways to the door.)

Btw. I had a nice time below that level after I managed to go one step too far wink

Re: Untitled Platformer - Game design, ideas, etc - 02/14/10 21:39

I know about those bugs, I hear they're fixed now. A camera with a different position (maybe one that follows the player, etc) would solve the visibility problem for good. I'm interested in hearing what all of you think about Jared's idea in terms of gameplay.
Posted By: Ganderoleg

Re: Untitled Platformer - Game design, ideas, etc - 02/15/10 00:14

As for me, I think it's o.k. to go that way since it could provide a much more complex gameplay, but I wouldn't rush into it at the moment since we don't yet have final design solutions for project. This could be a problem if we decide to go with 2D characters(it may not be with a nice turn animation but still...).

Moving camera is something that I wanted from the project start smile because it would allow for zoomed player and closer view on the game-world, but that would change the project direction from it's roots.

In my opinion, The Forest Temple is easy/logical game to play since you can see the whole level and see how both characters can function together in order to exit the screen. If we zoom on characters we lose all functionality of the level.

The only thing that would work here, as I see it, would be to have a possibility to switch zoom from sister to brother, and reverse, with option to zoom out from both of them and have a full view of the entire level. That would be interesting but a bit complicated... or not? confused

Re: Untitled Platformer - Game design, ideas, etc - 02/15/10 05:21

We'll have to see what the other say about this, of course. Adding the moving camera with the zoom in / out / focus / etc abilities is an easy task.
Posted By: Guardian

Re: Untitled Platformer - Game design, ideas, etc - 02/15/10 05:52

Hi George could you give a link to the skydrive account. I'd like to look at Jared's remake and have no clue where to look.

Thanks. laugh

Guardian

Re: Untitled Platformer - Game design, ideas, etc - 02/15/10 09:33

If we go for the "character can walk away from the screen" concept, I would make sure we have only two "lanes" the player can be on. He can either be on the one closer to the screen or, by pressing the up key, the one farther away. That way we'd make sure it's still a 3d-walking-concept, but we wouldn't need to worry so much about bugs/collision and it would make it check if there's a wall/gap or not, you wouldn't have to try running against the wall 5 times because there might be a gap, you'd only run into the wall once on both lanes, then you can be sure you checked that place and look for a door somewhere else.

Re: Untitled Platformer - Game design, ideas, etc - 02/15/10 12:17

In a isometric view it will be a bit complicated to see in what plane player is. I like the idea in spite of this.

I think zoom in/out is essential. I got lots of problems with level and player dimensions in my art suggestion. There is not enought space. I don't think that all functionality is lost, it is just hidden. It is the firt clue for an exploration game.

Salud!

Re: Untitled Platformer - Game design, ideas, etc - 02/15/10 17:14

Sorry for the double post but i have some news:

I have uploaded my suggestion for a general style. It could fit in 2D enviroment drawing?

Re: Untitled Platformer - Game design, ideas, etc - 02/15/10 18:06

All the team members should have the skydrive login info; please let me know if you didn't receive my previous email with the details. Guardian, I have sent you the needed info.
Germanunkol, it's a good idea to have the players move a specified distance on the y axis. We could limit their movement to 2-3 lanes and make sure that the current lane is clearly visible.
Posted By: RedPhoenix

Re: Untitled Platformer - Game design, ideas, etc - 03/06/10 22:30

Hi there,

As I'm currently working on the code for the main menu I also came to the point save/load system and I have an idea to that point:

In etherpad's menu section there is already the idea of packing levels in packs of 5-10 which the player then can relock and select for playing. We could take this concept in connection with the chapter/location concept many modern RTS games use. In these games the campaign usually is presented on a map where the chapters of the story have to be relocked to succed the campaign. We could use a similar concept, and pack 5-10 levels (if the levels are small ones, if we decide to create huge levels, it could also be one level per block) belonging to one visual style, one certain location, one story chapter or whatever to one icon on the "story map" (which could of course simply be a list like in warcraft3 eg.). The player relocks one pack after the other and his state is saved in his player's profile. This way we won't need a save/load system, a simple resume button which directs to last started level would be enough this way.

What do you think about it?

Re: Untitled Platformer - Game design, ideas, etc - 03/09/10 12:12

That's a good idea; I don't think that we'll need to save the current state of the level (just the level number) and we'll start from its beginning whenever the player loads a game.
I'd save the main menu options (video, sound, etc) and the level number. Nevertheless, it's always a good idea to add some free slots; you can never know when you're going to add mouse sensitivity, etc wink

Re: Untitled Platformer - Game design, ideas, etc - 04/28/10 10:04

Dear friends,

We have finally managed to finish the game story document, which serves as a base for the game design document (we're also working on it). The team members have received it yesterday, but I thought that you can give us quality feedback, so please read it and post your comments here. Thank you.

J, J and BUM

Re: Untitled Platformer - Game design, ideas, etc - 04/29/10 06:07

The game story and locations seem good to me, there are only a few things which I find a bit irritating. The current layout is like the big bang happens more or less in the 3rd part of the game while the 4th part seems only to be some kind of finishing off the story. There might be a lack of suspense in the last part of the game.

The battle against BUUM happens rather soon, and the final fight is only against his degenerated by far less powerful form again.
For a final battle I would expect to see him tranform to BUUM after being smashed the first time, and he should quickly transform back to his frog form after BUM has been beaten as well.

This intereferes with the swamp storyline, yes, but the swamp does not feel right there anyway. For some evil villain I would expect to see the final battle at some dark and sad place, like a rotten castle which falls apart after his defeat.

A swamp level I expect earlier in the game while on the way to rescue.
this would defeat the purpose of a swamp castle, though...

Well just some input.

Re: Untitled Platformer - Game design, ideas, etc - 04/29/10 20:35

Thank you for the feedback, Firo! You've got some valid points there.

Re: Untitled Platformer - Game design, ideas, etc - 04/30/10 07:46

Small but important edit: changed BUUM to BUM in one place, now the text should make sense.

Re: Untitled Platformer - Game design, ideas, etc - 05/01/10 16:55

I think that this has been overlooked & that we could fix it with simple character expansion.

In one of the story versions BUM & BUUM were two different characters- you first encounter BUM & then you have a final fight with his boss, BUUM.

Maybe we could have SUM(Small Unfriendly Monster) & BUM (Big Unfriendly Monster) smile

If you look at it, that could potentially solve this problem. SUM would be the kidnapper, player would have his first fight with SUM in mansion, then he would fight with BUM in the castle and, when BUM escapes, the final battle would be at the swamp, with BUUM (BUM high on chemicals). Swamp & swamp castle are very important parts of the story since they give a clue to the main villain origin as a frog & once BUUM turns to BUF you know that everything is over.

Re: Untitled Platformer - Game design, ideas, etc - 05/03/10 02:47

Hello,

I hope everyone is well. I've read the story doc and have a few comments on the first three chapters which Ganderoleg asked me to post. I'll sum it up as follows: Little J (LJ) gets captured while playing in the snowy mountains. Big J (BJ) hears his screams and follows the footprints of BUM (or SUM). She reaches the outskirts of the mountains and finds a huge abyss (maybe similar to the one in the latest Star Trek movie when young James T. Kirk drives his stepdads car off the cliff). She sees BUM (or SUM) jump the huge expanse with her brother. Feeling hopeless and unable to pursue, a wizard in the form of a mouse gives BJ a potion. Instead of it being a "switching gravity" potion, I think it should simply slow her descent. If she were to switch gravity, she would simply "fall into the sky" with nothing to stop her from going into space. At the bottom of the abyss on the other side of the cliff wall is an opening leading to the mountain dungeons chapter where she finds her brother. When they reunite, they work their way up through the cliffs passages to reach the mountain fortress.

Re: Untitled Platformer - Game design, ideas, etc - 05/04/10 09:03

This is good info - thank you! The big sister will only be able to "fly" upwards for a few seconds; if she can't find something solid to stand on, she will return to the ground. The new version of player's code should be ready in a week (or so).

Re: Untitled Platformer - Game design, ideas, etc - 05/04/10 22:43

I must say I like the idea about the Snowy Mountain abyss part: we could see the SUM, with Little J in the bag, jumping down the corners of the abyss in a frog-like manner & Big J standing near the edge, unable to follow.

Then, when mouse gives her the gravity potion, she could use it to jump down the corners of the abyss, making her way by shifting gravity depending on what ledge is above or beneath her & how far is that ledge (if it's less then few seconds of flight). We could also have her being hurt if she finds no ledge & falls back down.

Also it would be a good thing if she reaches the dungeons from the bottom of the abyss & have two J's start dungeon level from the opposite sides. We can have sister at the bottom of the dungeon & brother at the top, in the dungeon tower.

Re: Untitled Platformer - Game design, ideas, etc - 05/05/10 15:04

Hi!

I think it is not clear why BUM kidnappes LJ. It could be that BUM needs some child tears to achieve his transformation chemistry. At dungeon level, LJ can be confined into a strange machine that takes his essence and, in a first step, has to be stopped by BJ. Then, as the second step, LJ needs to find the way to his sister. And for last step, they leave the dungeon. It also can be the reason why they are convinced that BUM will kidnap other child.

Salud!

Re: Untitled Platformer - Game design, ideas, etc - 05/06/10 12:04

This is very, very good idea tongue I would maybe just change the time line since it's not possible for Big J to know anything about the children tears extracting process because she just followed SUM into the abyss & down into the dungeons.

We could go with it in this way:
1.Cut scene is first showing the BJ entering the dungeons through the bottom of the abyss & then switching to LJ, who is given a potion by the mouse.
2.In the first part of the dungeon level J's have to find each other, with BJ starting from the bottom of the dungeon & LJ starting from the dungeon tower.
3.Once they unite we go with cut scene where LJ is telling the BJ about the strange machine that was extracting his tears & about the big monster (BUM) that was standing next to SUM, talking about his plan to extract tears from every child in the valley.
4.After the cut scene the second part of the dungeon level is starting & J's have to find & destroy the tears extracting machine.

Re: Untitled Platformer - Game design, ideas, etc - 05/26/10 18:33

Hi team,

Yesterday I did a study of possible jumps with the latest prototype. The results are as follows:
First number -> Jump height
Second number -> Jump length
R -> LJ need to be running to get make the jump. With only one box of running fails (great for tricks)
H -> LJ jump ends hanging from the corner.

VISIBLE LANDING
2.0 H / 2.1 H / 2.2 H / 2.3 RH
1.0 / 1.1 / 1.2 / 1.3 H / 1.3 R
0.1 / 0.2 / 0.3 / 0.4 RH
-1.0 / -1.1 / -1.2 / -1.3 / -1.4 H / -1.4 R
-2.0 / -2.1 / -2.2 / -2.3 / -2.4
-3.0 / -3.1 / -3.2 / -3.3 / -3.4 / -3.5 RH
-4.0 / -4.1 / -4.2 / -4.3 / -4.4 / -4.5 H / -4.5 R
BLIND JUMPS
-5.0 / -5.1 / -5.2 / -5.3 / -5.4 / -5.5
-6.0 / -6.1 / -6.2 / -6.3 / -6.4 / -6.5 / -6.6 RH
-7.0 / -7.1 / -7.2 / -7.3 / -7.4 / -7.5 / -7.6 H / -7.6 R
We could go on but I don't think it necessary. I think it's a must to know for level designers and it can't be changed too much.

Salud!
Posted By: Quad

Re: Untitled Platformer - Game design, ideas, etc - 07/22/10 10:29

you guys may want to check this out:

http://www.indiedb.com/games/ayla/downloads

it has somewhat the same gravity-flipping idea.

Re: Untitled Platformer - Game design, ideas, etc - 07/22/10 12:15

Thank you for the link. It's an interesting project, but it's more oriented towards arcade, not puzzles, like our game. I think that we can learn from it, though, maybe get some ideas, and so on.

Re: Untitled Platformer - Game design, ideas, etc - 10/08/10 22:18

I made a quick list of the spells that I think LJ & BJ could receive during the game in different chapters. Here is what I had in mind:

Chapter 1 / Mountains..........Gravity Switch (BJ)
Chapter 2 / Dungeon............Invisibility (LJ) (time limited)
Chapter 3 / Fortress............Illusion (BJ)
Chapter 4 / Mansion............Recruit (LJ)
Chapter 5 / Forest...............Flying (BJ) (time limited)
Chapter 6 / Caves...............Strength (LJ) (time limited)
Chapter 7 / Castle...............Golem Control (BJ)
Chapter 8 / Sewer...............?
Chapter 9 / Swamp..............Zero Weight (BJ) (time limited)
Chapter 10 / Swamp Castle....?

Gravity Switch & Illusion are already known and Invisibility, Flying & Strength are self-explanatory. I will add some invisibility-based gameplay into Fortress levels in the second (and final) re-design & tweak turn for this chapter in about 10-12 days.

Recruit should be the spell that can be used only if target enemy soldier is near & it should turn the target enemy soldier into ally, making him fight other soldiers in his near surrounding. This spell shouldn't be time limited & the ally soldier should be friendly even when LJ or BJ pass him by.

Golem Control should work from anywhere in the level & if there are few Golems present in the level BJ should be able to choose which Golem to control. This spell shouldn't be time limited but it should make BJ immobile while active (similar casting method as the Illusion).

Zero Weight could be a great help to BJ if she needs to walk over the quick send, water lily or ride on the top of the crocodile in the swamp.

What do you think about my proposals & can you think of any spell that could be used for Sewer or Swamp castle?
© 2024 lite-C Forums