"Create something" contest entries uploaded

Posted By: George

"Create something" contest entries uploaded - 03/02/11 11:54

Dear friends,

IMPORTANT INFO! Just got word from Darkinferno: "I would like you to remove scion from the winter contest, though we are proud of alot of systems, the game does not reflect what we wanted it to be and some of the errors that developed are unacceptable to us, with that said we would like it to be removed".

I can't edit polls, so please let's respect his wish and do not vote for "Scion". I have also removed the entry from Acknex Unlimited. Thank you.

The 14 contest entries are now uploaded to Acknex Unlimited. Please download them all, test them all and then vote the best one. If the entries contain a readme text, do what the file name says - it helps!

I want to make sure that everything is OK, so the voting will only start in about 2 days. If you have sent me a contest entry and you don't see it in this list, drop me an email at george at acknex dot net.

Thank you.
George

P.S. I'd like us to have a different type of interview in the following magazine. Since it is obvious that you (all the contest participants) have great game development skills, please email me (the address is right above this) your single best tip for all the beginners to game creation out there. If you also email me your favorite screenshot from your contest entry, I'll make sure to include it in the following magazine, which should be out in about a week. This isn't mandatory and won't have any influence on the jury, but will definitely help our community members and might help promote your game as well.
Posted By: sPlKe

Re: "Create something" contest entries uploaded - 03/02/11 12:21

Hiya,
unfortunately, when George packed G.R.U.N.T.S. some files were not properly packed and are thus missng from the AU zip file.

I uploaded a fixed version to my server that includes the missing files (unpacked) so please, download THIS version of the game.

Maybe George can update the AU file with my newer version?

http://www.icevalk-entertainment.com/G.R.U.N.T.S.Demo.zip

Re: "Create something" contest entries uploaded - 03/02/11 12:27

Hello Spike,

I have updated the file; please let me know if it works fine.

George

Re: "Create something" contest entries uploaded - 03/02/11 12:43

thanx, it works fine now laugh
Posted By: the_clown

Re: "Create something" contest entries uploaded - 03/02/11 13:00

AntiVir gives me a warning that the "grunts" folder contains a trojan, the file named "dropper" or something. Is that file anyhow supposed to be there?
Posted By: msmith2468

Re: "Create something" contest entries uploaded - 03/02/11 13:08

Wow 15 contest entries I can't wait to play them tonight. Good luck to everyone!
Posted By: darkinferno

Re: "Create something" contest entries uploaded - 03/02/11 13:25

grunts worked fine for me, i like the concept, dont like the feel of the weapons though, like am shooting a bubble at robots or something, like the comedy.. the hero Briography doesnt work for me

Re: "Create something" contest entries uploaded - 03/02/11 13:54

no, the file is not supposed to be in there. i have also checked my upload and the upload on AU, and the file is not in there. a real name would be helpfull.
maybe the savefile alerts your virus warning as dropper? its a long file with letters and numbers in it and it is a settings save file.
Posted By: tzw

Re: "Create something" contest entries uploaded - 03/02/11 14:17

I believe my friend -you long's game is the best! ~_~
Posted By: Redeemer

Re: "Create something" contest entries uploaded - 03/02/11 14:50

Firoball submitted his A3 Converter tools. We're all screwed...
Posted By: badapple

Re: "Create something" contest entries uploaded - 03/02/11 15:49

hero biography doesnt work for me as well , but for me it might be my outdated pc.

and i dont see the uploaded demos, is it just me?

Re: "Create something" contest entries uploaded - 03/02/11 16:05

I see the uploaded demos on acknex unlimited. I did have to refresh the page thoe.

Re: "Create something" contest entries uploaded - 03/02/11 16:14

Spike's (G.R.U.N.T.S.) project was packed by me and is 100% safe.
Posted By: the_clown

Re: "Create something" contest entries uploaded - 03/02/11 16:47

Originally Posted By: George
Spike's (G.R.U.N.T.S.) project was packed by me and is 100% safe.

Hm. Antivir tells me that grunts.exe is the trojan "dropper.gen".
I guess it matches some virus definitions.
However, if u say it's safe I'll trust you.
Posted By: annonymie

Re: "Create something" contest entries uploaded - 03/02/11 17:30

Hi,

first of all I want to apologize the Bugs in Transport-Genius.
It's work in progress, and should only present my project, making a 3D-Remake of the classics Transport Tycoon and Locomotion from Chris Sawyer.
A8 Pro would be very nice for coming development. So I hope for your votes smile

Is it rather possible, to see who votes for whom? And is it allowed to recruit voters outside of this forum, so that they register each other and vote than as new member - maybe without taken a look at all contest entries?

Re: "Create something" contest entries uploaded - 03/02/11 18:08

Quote:
And is it allowed to recruit voters outside of this forum, so that they register each other and vote than as new member - maybe without taken a look at all contest entries?

I don't know if it's allowed, but it's certainly frowned upon. If you need hired votes to win this competition, you don't deserve to win at all.

Personally I'm not going to vote, since all these games are too much for me to download, and I want to judge fairly and honestly before making any decisions...

Re: "Create something" contest entries uploaded - 03/02/11 18:12

So you want to cheat? But you are asking for permission so I guess that's not cheating. However this is a contest for who can make the best game not for who has the most friends. And ultimately the judges have final say to prevent this sort of thing. it is not my place to answer your question but In my opinion voting should take place within gamestudios active community.
Posted By: Realspawn

Re: "Create something" contest entries uploaded - 03/02/11 18:18

May the best dude win laugh good luck to us all.
grin

Re: "Create something" contest entries uploaded - 03/02/11 19:23

No, no, no, you missunderstood me frown They were no hired voters. It's so: My game is very popular in an other forum. The user's there wish me all the best for the contest. So far, so good... but most of them also want to do something active... they like the game, so they want to vote for the game. But I'm not sure, if this is allowed, so I still keep them away from that idea, until I know it surely. I hope thats easier to understand.

I know, my english isn't the best. grin

Re: "Create something" contest entries uploaded - 03/02/11 19:37

well this is strange , i load the resource page with firefox 4 and i dont the demos. but with ie i do see them! weird but firefox 4 is beta that may be it.
Posted By: BoH_Havoc

Re: "Create something" contest entries uploaded - 03/02/11 19:44

Wow, there's quite a bunch of nice entries...this will be hard to decide.

Nice work everyone laugh
Posted By: JibbSmart

Re: "Create something" contest entries uploaded - 03/02/11 20:57

Originally Posted By: annonymie
No, no, no, you missunderstood me frown They were no hired voters. It's so: My game is very popular in an other forum. The user's there wish me all the best for the contest. So far, so good... but most of them also want to do something active... they like the game, so they want to vote for the game. But I'm not sure, if this is allowed, so I still keep them away from that idea, until I know it surely. I hope thats easier to understand.

I know, my english isn't the best. grin
This has happened before and people generally didn't like it. People shouldn't vote at all in these contests unless they test all of the entries first. People from another forum are unlikely to do so, and even if they do test them all out, peoples' sense of loyalty is often greater than their inclination to judge all entries fairly.

But I think it's great that you asked instead of just doing it and getting into some trouble laugh

Jibb

Re: "Create something" contest entries uploaded - 03/02/11 21:02

Ok... that's the answer, I had waited for. So, I won't give the link to this Thread, so the other community will not vote. So easy can it be grin The last I wanted, is to cheat... that would be unfair to the others. So thanks for the answer.

Will the best entries win smile
Posted By: youlong

Re: "Create something" contest entries uploaded - 03/03/11 00:13

aha!
that the The Hero Biography is my game.
thanks to forgive my poor English,if some can't download it please tell me!

Re: "Create something" contest entries uploaded - 03/03/11 00:45

it doesnt work for me.. missing files it seems

Re: "Create something" contest entries uploaded - 03/03/11 01:31

that i use Chinese to name some model and images so it is lose....
i will upload another one soon..

Re: "Create something" contest entries uploaded - 03/03/11 01:37

oh,
unfortunately,some files were not properly packed and are thus missng from the AU zip file,too.
I upload a new version,so download my new version ,please!
the hero biography

Re: "Create something" contest entries uploaded - 03/03/11 07:36

Originally Posted By: George

[...]
P.S. I'd like us to have a different type of interview in the following magazine. Since it is obvious that you (all the contest participants) have great game development skills, please email me (the address is right above this) your single best tip for all the beginners to game creation out there. If you also email me your favorite screenshot from your contest entry, I'll make sure to include it in the following magazine, which should be out in about a week. This isn't mandatory and won't have any influence on the jury, but will definitely help our community members and might help promote your game as well.

That's a nice idea, you will receive my mail in the afternoon. laugh
Posted By: alibaba

Re: "Create something" contest entries uploaded - 03/03/11 10:53

Gorge, I can´t find your e-mail grin
Posted By: 3dgs_snake

Re: "Create something" contest entries uploaded - 03/03/11 11:35

Hi,

The email is george at acknex dot net smile

Re: "Create something" contest entries uploaded - 03/03/11 11:51

Thanks laugh
Posted By: DavidOC

Re: "Create something" contest entries uploaded - 03/03/11 18:15

I can't play GRUNTS, after the intro the screen flickers and raises an error E1308: Bad Mesh size (>64K faces), I'm using Windows 7 SP1.

Re: "Create something" contest entries uploaded - 03/03/11 19:09

G.R.U.N.T.S. works fine for me and i like it a lot laugh

Re: "Create something" contest entries uploaded - 03/03/11 20:04

did you change ANYTHING in the grunts folder?
and if not did you copy it into its own folder?

try re-dowloading it and load it into its own folder, unchanged. check if you have the latest directx9 drivers installed.

if that doesnt work, i am sorry, i have no clue. i dont have one single model that big...

Re: "Create something" contest entries uploaded - 03/03/11 20:50

grunts ran for me , and i have a low end pc.

Re: "Create something" contest entries uploaded - 03/03/11 21:14

I have latest drivers, and didn't change anything in the folder, I mentioned I have W7 SP1 because the dynamic memory was updated in this release and I had troubles with VMWare, all other projects run fine. It's a shame I really wanted to test it.

Re: "Create something" contest entries uploaded - 03/03/11 21:17

When I first downloaded the GRUNTS demo, the file was corrupt. Redownloading fixed the problem for me, so maybe that's what you should do too..?

Re: "Create something" contest entries uploaded - 03/03/11 21:59

OK, downloaded again and working fine

Re: "Create something" contest entries uploaded - 03/04/11 08:37

Dear 3DGS users,

The Box2D plugin has been updated with these little changes :

• Removed the VC 2010 Runtime dependency (It is now only one DLL), so it is more like a real plugin.
  • Added a monolithic header file (containing all the types and functions, separated headers can also be used).
  • Added 2 demos (Breakable & One sided platform - Those demos use ContactListener).

You can grab the last version (Link available after the end of the contest) here (Plugin's post)

Best regards.

Re: "Create something" contest entries uploaded - 03/04/11 11:43

wait wait, can i be informed here or am i missing something ? we can still be updating entries after submission ?

Dont really have a problem with that but i pulled scion solely because i couldnt update it after submission, so... what am i missing ?
Posted By: Damocles_

Re: "Create something" contest entries uploaded - 03/04/11 12:08

But Scion can still get votes, as its in the poll-list.

I dont think fixing a bug for some systems would distort the contest much.

Re: "Create something" contest entries uploaded - 03/04/11 12:15

Hi,

The file used for the contest is still the same as the first submission, it is not updated. But if it is a problem, I can remove the links until the contest is over.

Best regards.

Re: "Create something" contest entries uploaded - 03/04/11 12:26

well that belief is why i pulled scion.. oh its not a problem, just asking, okay

Re: "Create something" contest entries uploaded - 03/04/11 12:37

Originally Posted By: darkinferno
well that belief is why i pulled scion.. oh its not a problem, just asking, okay

Really Sorry Scion frown , but like Damocles said, it can still receive votes.

Bedt regards.

Re: "Create something" contest entries uploaded - 03/04/11 12:38

I think this is unfair. Man you have a Deadline and when the deadline is reaced, then you only have to watch if you get votes or not. Because if i know what everybody likes, disliks, then i can make it better and get more votes. but that is not the point of the contest. i hope you can understand my point.

Re: "Create something" contest entries uploaded - 03/04/11 13:01

Okay I understand what You want to say. I think that there is no more problem with this as I have removed all dowload links until the end of the contest.

Best regards.

Re: "Create something" contest entries uploaded - 03/04/11 13:07

Thank you 3dgs_Snake, but i don´t mean only you. At every Contest, people don´t take care about the Deadline. They just think "ooh. I´ll make the half of the game until the deadline and if they like it, then i´ll do the rest during the contest." This is unfair. George should take more attention on this.

Re: "Create something" contest entries uploaded - 03/04/11 13:11

Okay, I really understand smile , but You know, my entry IS the plugin, the others are just technical demos. The demos are just there to demonstrate how to use the plugin.

Re: "Create something" contest entries uploaded - 03/04/11 13:18

Yes i know laugh As i said, i don´t really meant you. I meaned everyone who update his Entry during the Contest.

Re: "Create something" contest entries uploaded - 03/04/11 13:32

btw 3dgs_snake, i really like your entry, i think a 2d physics engine is awesome and may bring alot to the engine laugh

Re: "Create something" contest entries uploaded - 03/04/11 13:37

Agreed!
Posted By: FBL

Re: "Create something" contest entries uploaded - 03/04/11 17:01

While updating contest projects generally is ok, but not for the contest itself!
The original project handed in must be the one being judged in the contest - so an updated version should not be linked here and not brought into connection with this contest and this thread!

Re: "Create something" contest entries uploaded - 03/04/11 17:11

But i think they only should be updated after the contest, becuase if you update it during the contest, and put it in another threat, then everybody will also consider the update.
Posted By: Quad

Re: "Create something" contest entries uploaded - 03/04/11 18:24

this contest.

shade-c and box2d are great, and definitely useful.

I liked the random announcements in G.R.U.N.T.S but because of too much white, i cannot play the game, my eyes hurt and it gives me headaches. Game is better that what you would expect from screenshots though.

The Gurb is like, has the best ending ever grin ?

they are all good entries. Good Luck to all contestants. Single vote, it's hard to decide.
Posted By: Pappenheimer

Re: "Create something" contest entries uploaded - 03/04/11 21:53

Yes, there are so many great entries.
It is a pity that there are not more prices! laugh
Posted By: kts

Re: "Create something" contest entries uploaded - 03/05/11 20:25

A3 Tools rocks them all.

Re: "Create something" contest entries uploaded - 03/05/11 20:28

Could it be that some people are making accounts, just for voting themselves?
Posted By: painkiller

Re: "Create something" contest entries uploaded - 03/05/11 20:33

I hope no, that would be unfair

Re: "Create something" contest entries uploaded - 03/05/11 20:37

Maybe George or so can check, because that would be really unfair.
Posted By: kts

Re: "Create something" contest entries uploaded - 03/05/11 21:07

Yeah, he should.
Looks like I've created a account 2007 just to vote for THIS contest !!!
Dunno know why I have only 1 post....

Re: "Create something" contest entries uploaded - 03/05/11 21:25

Funny how many new registered members (Who is online list) remain looking at the first page of the - "Create something" contest entries uploaded - Thread.

I dont remember: is there a "minimum number of Posts" limit for voting in the polls?

Re: "Create something" contest entries uploaded - 03/05/11 21:58

well the Gurb has the double of votes than the other games, that's a bit suspicious

Re: "Create something" contest entries uploaded - 03/05/11 21:58

Unfair³ -.-" Only JCL should Vote grin

Re: "Create something" contest entries uploaded - 03/05/11 21:59

Or the Gurb is quite groovy.

Jibb

Re: "Create something" contest entries uploaded - 03/05/11 22:00

Gurb is really great, but not as great as it has votes.

Re: "Create something" contest entries uploaded - 03/05/11 22:03

Perhaps. I don't know what the votes are because I haven't tried them all yet, so I haven't voted.

Jibb
Posted By: 3run

Re: "Create something" contest entries uploaded - 03/05/11 22:36

Yeah, that is really strange... Sorry for offtopic guys, but who is Ivan Stummer? I need to contact him.

Re: "Create something" contest entries uploaded - 03/05/11 22:36

I got curious about the Gurb and decided to give it a try. It's decent, but in all honesty its a bit amateurish. I find it really strange that it's grabbing all the votes.

Suspicious indeed...

Re: "Create something" contest entries uploaded - 03/05/11 23:05

Yes... I'm observing the voting with big interests and I also had to assess, that Gurb got its first thee votes in a timespan of under an hour... an now... one day after start of the poll, there are 13 votes?!? I tested all entries... Gurb ist quite good, but there are some better!
Posted By: Azurite

Re: "Create something" contest entries uploaded - 03/06/11 01:07

Is it perhaps possible to check IP addresses for the multi-accounts?

That doesn't take care of people who ask their friends to register, though.
Anyway, maybe it is possible to let only people who have been registered for a certain time vote, but no new accounts?

Re: "Create something" contest entries uploaded - 03/06/11 01:20

i actually think assault is decent. i tried them all, and some rocked my world, like A3 tools, others i dont understand like the gurb...
Posted By: ventilator

Re: "Create something" contest entries uploaded - 03/06/11 02:06

i don't think the forum software supports any voting restrictions. probably such a feature could be hacked in quite easily but i guess no one with access to the forum source will do this. laugh

maybe someone could do a simple php voting script (without database requirement so that it can run anywhere) for the next contest. only the contestants get a password for voting. they can't vote for themselves but only for the other entries. everyone has 3 votes (first, second, third) since then it's less likely that entries get the same amount of points. i guess such a script could be done in an hour. just an idea...

Re: "Create something" contest entries uploaded - 03/06/11 04:09

i think that ultimately it dose not matter. the contest rules clearly state that the judges have 51% of the say of who wins and we the voters have 49%. and i believe it was purposely set up this way so that if there was an incident where people were cheating such as setting up accounts to vote for them selves or getting there friends to vote for them then they may still not win. my faïence wanted to do that for me. make an account and vote for my game and get some friends to vote as well. but i told her that it would be unfair to others. and if everyone got their friends and family to vote for them then it would turn into a popularity contest.

overall i believe who ever wins will surely deserve it no matter how many votes they get on this poll.
Posted By: Metehan

Re: "Create something" contest entries uploaded - 03/06/11 16:40

I'm so sorry.I can not speak english.
I used google translate.
I only own my vote anonymous Gurb.
This I swear...

Re: "Create something" contest entries uploaded - 03/07/11 19:20

most impressive post ever.
you deserver an inernetz!

anyway, as previously said by others than me (hi btw XD) its a good thing the jury has more say on this than the votes...

Re: "Create something" contest entries uploaded - 03/07/11 19:38

2% more xD

Re: "Create something" contest entries uploaded - 03/07/11 19:43

Guys, you aren't sure that he made some other accounts to vote for himself.
Who knows, may be there are some users, which really think that his game deserves first place!

Re: "Create something" contest entries uploaded - 03/07/11 19:47

A3 Tools is awesome in a bottle. Frankly I don't understand why it has so few votes. :\
Posted By: mrcerez

Re: "Create something" contest entries uploaded - 03/07/11 19:56

take a lot of votes does not show made some other accounts to vote for himself

Re: "Create something" contest entries uploaded - 03/07/11 22:55

Originally Posted By: Redeemer
A3 Tools is awesome in a bottle. Frankly I don't understand why it has so few votes. :\

Because most people don't know A3 and thus they don't really understand the project.
But that was to be expected.
However, since I had the project ready anyway, I just entered the contest.

kts by the way is not my account. It is a friend who also made an A3 game and it seems he was blasted to see it running in A8. I talked with him that I plan to enter the contest - he must have found the place to vote on his own laugh

Re: "Create something" contest entries uploaded - 03/07/11 23:25

I started with A5 standard, and Im quite long on 3dgs.
You must be a Methusalem wink

Re: "Create something" contest entries uploaded - 03/08/11 01:12

i started with the earliest A4 build, so i remember A3 from back then when people were still talking about it in the old forums...
the horrible old forums XD

Re: "Create something" contest entries uploaded - 03/08/11 06:04

And I started with warez A7 (7.07 I guess), and I'm still noob ^^

Re: "Create something" contest entries uploaded - 03/10/11 04:30

Originally Posted By: 3run
And I started with warez A7 (7.07 I guess)

Nice. Now if Gamestudio really starts dying they can sue you and get enough money to make one more version for everyone else. tongue

Re: "Create something" contest entries uploaded - 03/10/11 06:35

Hey George, i have 3 Votes. Please remove them, they are from my friends. I told them not to vote for me, but they did.

Re: "Create something" contest entries uploaded - 03/10/11 15:38

wow, looking at the Who is Online list, I can just see 4 new users, who just registered, and look at this thread.

Must be really interesting for new users..

Re: "Create something" contest entries uploaded - 03/10/11 15:40

the bars also always only seem to grow if they need to. laugh

i have voted for box2d but i find some of the other entries very nice too. i would find it better if 3 choices were allowed in the poll.

the a3 tools are very cool too. just not that useful for most people who weren't around in the a3 days. laugh

Re: "Create something" contest entries uploaded - 03/10/11 15:54

The A3 tools aren't really useful for anything. But that doesn't make them any less of a cool project. wink

Re: "Create something" contest entries uploaded - 03/10/11 16:13

argh I'm falling frown I hope I'm not the only one who isn't creating new account for voting himself

Re: "Create something" contest entries uploaded - 03/10/11 16:17

@Painkiller
I´m with you wink And as you can see, i have 0 votes, if you don´t count the 3 votes by my friends wink
Posted By: Progger

Re: "Create something" contest entries uploaded - 03/10/11 16:31

It is funny how fast the vote of Transport genius increased isnt it i think some here are cheating

Re: "Create something" contest entries uploaded - 03/10/11 16:49

It's true... the votes of my game (Transport Genius) increased fastly. But I asked in this thread before the poll was started, wheater it's allowed to recruit voters, who do not use 3D Gamestudio, but like the game. The answer was, it's not forbidden, but the community don't like it, because it's unfair. So I swear, I don't recruit voters. I only gave the first vote myself. The other votes are not from me! That can be checked if needed, I've nothing to reproach oneself for.
Posted By: Joozey

Re: "Create something" contest entries uploaded - 03/10/11 21:19

I think it's time for better contest web applications than this forum.

Re: "Create something" contest entries uploaded - 03/10/11 21:37

we could do a "create a better contest voting php script" contest. laugh
Posted By: Germanunkol

Re: "Create something" contest entries uploaded - 03/10/11 21:57

Haha... you made my day grin

Wouldn't just setting some minimum amount of posts before one can vote do the job though?

Re: "Create something" contest entries uploaded - 03/10/11 22:56

nah let them vote. doesnt matter.
the jury decides, and the votes here are mostly for us to show what we like. i think the jury is aware that some people are cheating...
Posted By: StJiongTeam

Re: "Create something" contest entries uploaded - 03/10/11 23:07

No one likes RPG any more?
"The Hero Biography" by You Long is the best because his combat system is very creative and impressive!
Posted By: Pappenheimer

Re: "Create something" contest entries uploaded - 03/10/11 23:53

Originally Posted By: StJiongTeam
"The Hero Biography" by You Long is the best because his combat system is very creative and impressive!

There are some error messages when unzipping the folder, and it doesn't start, because two images with unreadable names are missed.
Posted By: MrGuest

Re: "Create something" contest entries uploaded - 03/11/11 01:00

Originally Posted By: Pappenheimer

There are some error messages when unzipping the folder, and it doesn't start, because two images with unreadable names are missed.
He had some issues with chinese characters when zipped, there's a post he made here with a new link on laugh

definately worth the download and got my vote though I disagree with
The combat style is very similar to what I've seen in many turnbased rpgs

Re: "Create something" contest entries uploaded - 03/11/11 05:15

Originally Posted By: painkiller
argh I'm falling frown I hope I'm not the only one who isn't creating new account for voting himself

grin you are not alone painkiller, we are at least two ...

Re: "Create something" contest entries uploaded - 03/11/11 10:11

Don't worry, the jury is vigilant wink

Re: "Create something" contest entries uploaded - 03/11/11 12:03

Originally Posted By: 3dgs_snake
Originally Posted By: painkiller

grin you are not alone painkiller, we are at least two ...

Make that three. laugh
Posted By: Joozey

Re: "Create something" contest entries uploaded - 03/11/11 12:40

I think firo made 2 accounts too.

Re: "Create something" contest entries uploaded - 03/11/11 13:33

I remember some time ago, there was the logic, than only users with
>100 posts or so, could vote.

Not that all newbees dont know how to fairly judge,
but this anonymous system is simply open to fraud.

Re: "Create something" contest entries uploaded - 03/11/11 16:21

In fact I created 30 accounts to push my entry.

Re: "Create something" contest entries uploaded - 03/12/11 07:11

at least! XD

Re: "Create something" contest entries uploaded - 03/12/11 08:26

well do i feel foolish grin me voting on someone else crazy
Posted By: StJiongTeam

Re: "Create something" contest entries uploaded - 03/12/11 15:42

Yes, I download there and it works. I see, maybe the combat system is similar to The Last Remanant. People can move around in a turn-based RPG.
Posted By: Aithce

Re: "Create something" contest entries uploaded - 03/12/11 21:38

Hello,

I think the ''Transport Genius'' is excellent project. I am impressed.

Re: "Create something" contest entries uploaded - 03/12/11 22:12

Originally Posted By: Aithce
Hello,
I think the ''Transport Genius'' is excellent project. I am impressed.

lolololol@1post grin

and i cant believe shadeC has 3votesm compared to the amount of people waiting on it... interesting

Re: "Create something" contest entries uploaded - 03/12/11 22:27

i think some people make accounts, vote for themselves and then post here to praise the toughest competition to make them look bad. this contest business is a complicated psychological game. tongue

Re: "Create something" contest entries uploaded - 03/12/11 22:44

im going to give my oponions on some of the contest entries. I am going to exclude my own game.

lets start with who i believe had one of the best entries.

Grunts - Grunts was a very good game the graphics were unique and solid. the music and they phrases flowed with the whole game. the enemies were the only thing i think need a little improvement. not sure how to improve them but they seemed unrewarding. the last part of the first section was difficult and i still have yet to beat it. the puzzle was cool too. Good Job Guys!!!

in no particular order from here.....

Schutzkontakt - Im not sure what the name means or what it says for that matter. however i thought this was one of the better entries. i was excited to play then all of a sudden it was over frown and i was full of disappointment. i didn't even get to use that shiny gun i had. the graphics were the best in the competition in my opinion. it just needed a longer story and maybe an enemy or two.

Transport Genious - This is a game i was also excited to play when i first saw it. i own all the railroad tycoons as well as other tycoon games. i love trains so i was excited with this project. until i played it. it was full of bugs. at first i was confused and did not know what to do then i started clicking things and built a station and started building some track but i could not curve the track. then i somehow managed to get the depot thing where the trains come out of to work but it was on top of my station and glitched out. then the train moved a little bit and got stuck. i was very confused and very disappointed with all the bugs. ultimately i could not get the game to work and i tried a dozen times. I like the concept and you do have a good start to the game but it needs a lot of work. keep it up and im sure you can get the game on the right track. good luck to you.

Box 2d - This i had little expectations for. then i played it and thought it was one of the best projects in the contest. i had fun with each demo and i played with the stacked boxes for quite some time. just watching them fall over and interact with each other was very cool. Good Job!!

The Gurb - the gurb was a fun little game. it needs a little work just some minor things. like a way to skip the intro and the bullets would kill enemies off the screen, and when you walk up the ladder it continues the animation if you do not let go of the button. other then that it was a fun game. i wish there was more content thoe. Keep it up!!

The Hero Biography - It was very hard for me to get the game running. i finally did get it to work and i was impressed with some of it. the combat system is not for me. not that you didnt do a good job its just not my style. thats the same reason i cant play final fantasy. im no good with turn based games. it seemed like it was always loading something. in the town some things were incomplete and some of the graphics did not match the other graphics. anything in chinese i did not understand and i did not know where to go or what to do. some people like this type of game but its just not for me. keep it up thoe you do have a great start!!

Simons Ghost - I got up to 18 and i did like this game. its simple and easy to understand. an online high score would be great for this game and it would have drawn more people to it. I rember the game when i was a kid and i was excited to play it. good job laugh

Re: "Create something" contest entries uploaded - 03/13/11 08:45

!I like the assault very much,you will be the winner!

Re: "Create something" contest entries uploaded - 03/13/11 09:51

Originally Posted By: msmith2468

Transport Genious - This is a game i was also excited to play when i first saw it. i own all the railroad tycoons as well as other tycoon games. i love trains so i was excited with this project. until i played it. it was full of bugs. at first i was confused and did not know what to do then i started clicking things and built a station and started building some track but i could not curve the track. then i somehow managed to get the depot thing where the trains come out of to work but it was on top of my station and glitched out. then the train moved a little bit and got stuck. i was very confused and very disappointed with all the bugs. ultimately i could not get the game to work and i tried a dozen times. I like the concept and you do have a good start to the game but it needs a lot of work. keep it up and im sure you can get the game on the right track. good luck to you.

Hi, yes it's true, Transport Genius has still a lot of bugs. But it's also still in development and after contest is over, the next update will release.
If you would consider some rules, you can start the train driving to the end of your track - but it can't hold on stations or drive the track back frown Maybe in next update...

B <--- B
========D

B: Station
D: Depot
=: Rails

That's it!

You have to build the depot rightmost on the first station (Sight from rail).
The track must run form leftmost rail-peace of the first station to the rightmost rail-peace of the next. And so on.
At least click on the Depot to spawn the train.

You can also curve the track, but only in an angle of max 9°. If you want more, you have to built more curves wink

I know, that's all a bit complicated, but how I wrote... it's still in development and the final version is still far away.

I hope you understand my english... it's not the best... I'm german crazy

@all, who still believe, my votes are cheated:
You're fail tongue I don't know, why there are so many votes the last days. But I know, it's a genre, which isn't often developed with 3DGS and there are really a lot of bugs. But it seams so, some people like it an see a lot of potential in it. You don't have to be the same opinion, but please leave the imputations - I found them likewise unfair like cheating!
Posted By: HeelX

Re: "Create something" contest entries uploaded - 03/13/11 22:25

Greetings to all contestants!

Unfortunately I had no time to enter this contest with anything good from me, but I checked all your demos and here comes my massive feedback list like I do everytime users are forced to vote for a contest smile I reviewed them in alphabetical order for no special reasons and I am sorry if some of my reviews seem to be personal. Don't take it so, it just reflects my own personal oppinion and especially in regards to the other contestants and what they did or maybe even not… so, let this long post begin.

---

A3 Tools

This project is really great! No one ever would hit the idea to write a converter for a raycaster engine (A3, rest in peace) to Gamestudio A8 - except Firoball! Maybe he is one of the last men on earth that are delighted by those forgotten A3 pearls and their ravishing beauty. Yes, beauty. Did you ever played Doom 2? Shame on you if you didn't! - All the more suprising that he finally did it. I was partly involved in this project and I picked up on his rants and how he went nuts about triangulizing those meshes. He did a great job and I think even if he says that this was just a toy project for him - the way he creates those entity meshes dynamically and assigns the correct UV maps are of great usefulness for everyone who is interested in procedural content creation, I believe. Especially the tringulization code for arbitrary shapes are of great interest for some of us, I think. After Four Little Warriors I'm glad that you finished the next big one, boy smile it is good to know that you sticked to the tried and true!

Assault

A decent multiplayer shooter entry and what I like the most, is that Painkiller chose the 3rd person camera as viewport, this adds a lot to the feeling of the game. The game itself is a bit limited - I had only the chance to create a game with me the only one in the level, so I can not judge the multiplayer component. Remarkable is the setting, some things don't fit together (like the plants and the trees) but the rest is very well done. I really like the lights and shadows of the interior, the light shafts and the halos. Some bugs are present which should be fixed in the meanwhile (halos shining through the player, wrong decals on the blue car while shooting it, z-sorting erros, mesh glitches in the walls) but what bugged me most was the stuttering camera and / or the player collision while running / jumping. This is extremely important in multiplayer games, as well as a high fps - I got some slowdowns while I was running through the inner tunnels and I wondered why. But these are only small things to take care about (though, the collision/stuttering is an issue) and for what it is, it has a high quality, I like it. If you had AI bots in it, you could have scored better in my ranks smile My advice: go for it and keep on improving it to make it solid and fun!

Box2D plugin

Box2D was always on my horizon. I thought, that if I ever realize one of my rare 2(.5)D-only game ideas, I would port it and use it for the physics stuff. I guess, you can even do everything shown in the demo with the PhysX system now integrated in A8, but, hell, I really like Box2D and it's approach. I am not familiar with the original Box2D distribution, but what I don't like is that you have to put so much effort into creating sophisticated 2D (!) physics models, just look at the source of the ragdoll example. Though, this is not related to the great work Rajoelison Andry Herizo, but this could be a challenge for anybody else, to creat an editor for this! I really like this kind of contribution and I also believe, that Gamestudio really could benefit from a similar testbed with several physics demos for all that cool and new stuff, which is possible with PhysX.

G.R.U.N.T.S.

Okay, G.R.U.N.T.S. has been hyped before and it was absolutely logical that it enters the contest, so I expect nothing less than a mind blowing game from ingenious Spike, dude! The starting video sequence was nice, haha… but then, blackout. Only mysterious music and.. dark void, nothing worked (neither ESC nor ALT+ENTER nor the task manager). Too bad! I was a bit annoyed and I tried again… and… it -IS- absolutely MIND BLOWING. I always thought, that it is only driven by the visuals, you see.. all black and white, aliasing, minimalistic assets. And yes, it looks good. But what I like most is that it FEELS good. The whole atmosphere, the sounds, the driving beat in sector 1 and especially the announcements by either the speaker (that woman) and the player fit in very well and create an atmosphere which slighty makes me feel uncomfortable in the one place, creates an adventures environment to explore and, especially the taunts are also very funny, haha smile despite the poor enemy design, the whole level design is superb, especially the puzzles. Seriously, I ran about 8 to 12 times in that square-mini-maze until I figured out to run in the counter-clockwise order to get into the next room… very well done! Spike, this is really, really good!!

Pathfinderdemo

This should serve as a component which could be integrated into any existing game and the author has put a lot of effort into making a testbed, in which the provided algorithms are being showcased. Unfortunately, I was able to design obstacles in which the generated paths were going through them. I know that Ivan Stummer has put a lot of effort into this, but I don't think that this will be any useful in any game. Especially, because node based pathfinding is for a good reason not used in todays games anymore, newer pathfinding schemes like navigation meshes are more interesting, stable and provide better results.

Rail-shooter

The project's name itself arouse many hopes in me, because I really enjoy classic rail shooters. Then I read the authors name.. Rene Pol,… this is a Realspawn game! DUDE!! That was cool. My expectations were at that point very high. Too bad, that he missed an EXE and a readme, so, I jumped into the game without knowing what I could expect, slightly disappointed because of the above reasons, but who cares, so lets play it… (me playing the game)… OK, I'm back. I'm disappointed, sorry, Realspawn. The camera is just moving on the X,Y or Z axis, some models are moved from left to right and... thats it. Okay, this contest is called "create something"-contest, and anybody is free to submit anything, but… come on. You can do it way better!

Schutzkontakt

Schutzkontakt is a game which we have sawn here a long time ago and there was already a superb demo out, Torsten Fock and his team did a great job on this, so I was excited, if I experience a more polished version or new stuff and extras, enemies, whatever or both smile I was not able to finish the game due to missing ammo at some point, but what I have seen is what I already saw and for about this contest this entry is amongst the best ones. Too bad, that the communication avatars in the upper right corner were not updated to a speaking or more good looking ones and that the speech was not adapted to english speech, which could have made it more accessible to the english users here. I really like this game and I hope, that Torsten will continue/finish this one sometime in the future. Go for it!!

Shade-C Demo

Okay, to be honest: I was never a fan of this super-über-shader-collection-in-a-box. This is not related e.g. to the fact, that I am working, similar to Wolfgang, on a SSAO solution. It is just a matter of principle (that is also why I don't like that those new engine shaders, HDR and PSSM, are so tied to the camera-view.. but that is another story). Other than that: the demo is just awesome! I was very suprised that with all shaders on I have such a stable and high framerate on my notebook, very very cool! It were be nice if Wolfgang had provided the sources (I just think: if the demo is stable, why not showing the source.. or do you want to sell it?) so that we can watch, how easy it is to integrate it, but other than that the shaders are making it plain beautiful - for an indoor scene. If Shade-C provides the same quality (especially e.g. with foliages) in an outdoor or hybrid level, I will maybe change my mind wink Many Kudos to Dexsoft for the fantastic artwork, it really looks great.

Simon's Ghost

The game Simon's Ghost from Badapple is nice and fun to play. Hmkay, the toy itself is already fun to play, so, the game itself lends from it.. whatever smile it's fun, that is important wink I think, that this is a good example for many beginners how to do an easy game and expecially doing very first steps with Gamestudio - while creating a game, that is fun. Good entry!

The Gurb

Woooot!! The game is made with the free version and it is absolutely… COOL! Nice intro, nice beats, nice models, nice levels… and wow, and a cool idea… hahaha! smile I really like it. Though, it was too hard for me, I always died! Nothing left to say, this is a great game, though the difficulty could be a less lower!

The Hero Biography

I just was not able to play the game (during unpacking the archive some files went wrong, I think they had chinese filenames or so… that didn't made it), even though I was very excited to play this one! Sorry!!

Transport Genius

It took a while to compile this list of paragraphs about every game and I read here and there that everyone likes Transport Genius, so my expectations were high. But they were soon disappointed. OK, to be honest: I expected something similar to the game Transport Tycoon.. does anyone know this game? It is really cool, tile based and Transport Genius shares maybe the same thoughts behind it. Though, very bad adopted. First: Even if your GUI is very minimalistic, please don't provide buttons for actions the user can not take. "This function is not supported in the demo"… this accounts for almost all buttons! I can't build streets. What the? I just can build railways and stations. But the placement of rails is so poorly done.. I had two villages (one house, one street per village?!) and wanted to connect them with a railway. So, I build two stations there. First of all: since I was not able to adjust the orientation of the stations I had to build a S-shaped railway from station A to station B, both stations approx. 10km away from each other. The build-mode for rails is so poorly done so that I was NOT able to connect them! It was NOT possible. So, I didn't had much fun with this. I even thought "Ok, lets play a scenario, I saw that in the menu, maybe the missions are so well done that they fit the uncomplete prototype and maybe I will have fun with this"… fail! "This function is not supported in this demo". Come on. But the credits are implemented! Yay!! This is not a game, not even a prototype, it is all messed up. I'm sorry if this sounds to harsh, but you could have done way better. Though, if you would had implemented the "This function is not supported in this demo" message for the EXIT button, I would have been rolling on the floor laughing and I swear I would have given you my vote just because that were be so ironic that it would have made my day. But it didn't. Too bad. Nevertheless: go for it! Look back into Transport Tycoon from MicroProse and see what you can do better. Seriously.

Wicked Starbase Defense

Lets analyze the title first. Wicked. Starbase. Defense. Ok, sounds like a tower defense game in space. Could be fun, but how does the author handle the nature of 3D space, or is he going the Star Trek Armada way of arranging everything on a "virtual" plane in space?? And what about the "wicked"… Translating "wicked" to german dict.cc gives me a lot of very mean and vicious word meanings. Hmnn… either the game is evil to me as player (which means I don't like it in the end) or it is so absolutely challenging that it is a really good game. Nah… lets play it… (me playing that wicked game)… Hey, that was cool! It was not a tower defense game in that sense, but it was cool! And not so wicked! But cool!!! Hehe… I think the graphics could need an extensive overhaul (seriously), but alltogether the game itself was complete, offered a nice range of weapons and scenarios with increasing difficulty. Though, maybe you could redo the statistics and buy panels, they offer way too much information, I think smile nevertheless, I really like this entry and it shows again, that even such simple game ideas can transform into a great Gamestudio game!

Xtreme Double

Okay, this is like Assault a multiplayer game which I wasn't able to play since I was a bit alone… and, in comparison to Assault, this one is weaker. Especially because nothing (really, nothing) fits together. The level, the standard.wad textures and the music… brahh… ikes! Also, the movement is also jerky and very... "not well done"… comparing these two multiplayer contestants and under the assumption that the actual multiplayer mode works for both games (as I said, I was not able to play them properly against others), Assault is the better game. Compared to the other (working, hint hint) games, this is maybe also the weakest entry.

---

OK, this were my reviews and it took longer to compile them as I have thought, initially, but it was very important to me to give everyone a solid feedback. I was especially impressed by the great amount of contestant. My vote, by the way, goes to one of my good ol' 3DGS fellas here smile not just because we like each other, but I think he has done such a great job, so that he really deserves it!

Best regards,
-Christian

Re: "Create something" contest entries uploaded - 03/13/11 22:47

Quote:
I guess, you can even do everything shown in the demo with the PhysX system now integrated in A8, but, hell, I really like Box2D and it's approach.
there is a lot of overhead if you use a 3d physics engine for 2d physics. box2d should be much faster.

Re: "Create something" contest entries uploaded - 03/13/11 22:52

Wow thanks for the great feed back!! laugh I know i really appreciate it and im sure everyone else does too.

Re: "Create something" contest entries uploaded - 03/13/11 23:57

oh that i already give another link to everyone~
Originally Posted By: youlong
oh,
unfortunately,some files were not properly packed and are thus missng from the AU zip file,too.
the hero biography

Re: "Create something" contest entries uploaded - 03/14/11 07:17

oh that i already give another link to everyone~
oh,
the hero biography

Thanks, I overlooked it, I just downloaded it from the AUM site. I will have a look at it tonight!
Posted By: Metehan

Re: "Create something" contest entries uploaded - 03/14/11 10:19

HeelX.Thank you for your comment.

Re: "Create something" contest entries uploaded - 03/14/11 15:18

Hey HeelX, i don´t understand, why you dislike Xtreme Trouble that much. Did you read the readme? And i also don´t understand, why you count the gfx so much. I don´t want to show Assault bad, but the level is from the level contest and the models from turbosquid. So why do you count this? I thought the main part is the programming? However, thanks for your comment, i will improve it laugh

Could you please make it more specific, what you dislike?

Re: "Create something" contest entries uploaded - 03/14/11 16:32

Thanks for testing Assault! HeelX

Originally Posted By: alibaba
Hey HeelX, i don´t understand, why you dislike Xtreme Trouble that much. Did you read the readme? And i also don´t understand, why you count the gfx so much. I don´t want to show Assault bad, but the level is from the level contest and the models from turbosquid. So why do you count this? I thought the main part is the programming? However, thanks for your comment, i will improve it laugh

Could you please make it more specific, what you dislike?

Well, contest rules says you can use other's work with permission and Rondidion gave me permission to use DM_Garages in the game, so people should also count it, like if Rondidion were part of the dev team.

Re: "Create something" contest entries uploaded - 03/14/11 16:37

Hey alibaba, I didn't knew that. Nethertheless, it is just my oppinion. Neither your game nor Assault provide bots, so I just can only count what I see being alone in the map. And if you would force me to count only the programming, I would vote for Assault because it's camera is way more advanced (3rd person) and has a better feeling when it comes to navigation in the map (I remember that I stood on a stair in your map and I just was not able to walk upstairs... I had to jump). I'm sorry, if I disappointed you and I apologize - and I think we should quit now the discussion about that.

Re: "Create something" contest entries uploaded - 03/14/11 16:37

Ah okay, i understand. No, you didn´t dissapoint me, you´re right, Assault is really a great game, and it´s your choise what you like laugh
I just wanted a bit more clarifing. However, thanks for testing laugh

EDIT: Did you tried the Survival Mode or the other Maps? Because i want that everything gets tested, before building an opinon.

Re: "Create something" contest entries uploaded - 03/14/11 16:40

I love both of them laugh As Assault as Xtreme Trouble, they are great both laugh

Re: "Create something" contest entries uploaded - 03/14/11 16:49

Thank you laugh

Re: "Create something" contest entries uploaded - 03/14/11 17:13

Ok, finally, here are my comments about...

The Hero Biography

Its nice to see a game again made with Gamestudio that has some RPG flair. Looking at the splash screen and the loading images I got a real good feeling that his must be a great game, but unfortunately these don't cover what you get. You get a small map in which you can run around and all of a sudden a man appears that should be a robber. Then, you fight in an arena with the standard default texture and the fighting is a bit.. well.. it is maybe a reminiscence to the old round based days (and these were good, no doubt!), but this time it is sorta.. akward. You should definitely improve that. Or rethink it. It would help if the battles would not be in a seperate map, but in the same one. One thing that bugged me, too, were the missing effect- and environmental ambient sounds. The texture details on the ground were also very low res, which completed the picture of an incomplete game. What bugs me most are those beautiful high res pictures which are apparently ripped off from somewhere. Not so clever. What I liked is that the author put some effort in creating sort of a story, but I clicked it away all the time because it was rather boring. My lines sound a bit harsh, again, I think smile in the contrary, I kinda like this entry if I think about it, dunno why, there are so many things I drew bad here... maybe it is just the fact that I liked this kind of -game-. I really would like to see improved versions of the game in the future, I hope you are strong enough to continue on this!! Also, if someone is willing to learn a lesson from this game, is that homogeneity in games is VERY important. Try it. It is also very hard to achieve.

By the way: I was not able to leave the first stage. I was told to go down the hill (let us forget that the map is about 30x30 meters big ;)) and there was also an arrow pointing into a direction but I walked and walked (I ran over the whole map) and I didn't succeeded. Then I quit. Tell me, how to overcome that.. I'd like to see that Inn that girl was talking about!

Re: "Create something" contest entries uploaded - 03/15/11 22:56

Obviously lack of time constraints there are many places, I am grateful for your precious advice. In the first map, after fighting you can go through the arrow , to get to the big map, it was a town, but you do not be send is also very hard to understand. Perhaps I do not see this BUG, but I'm just another test several times, the phenomenon did not you say ah? And there are equipment wear and use of drugs and other functions, too bad, I try to find what issues now.

Re: "Create something" contest entries uploaded - 03/17/11 18:15

how long does it take to annonce the contest winners after polls are closed? i assume the jury already has their verdict and it is already clear who won if nothing changes on the poll?

Re: "Create something" contest entries uploaded - 03/17/11 18:27

The poll ends March 18th. I assume that's when they'll announce the results of the contest.

Re: "Create something" contest entries uploaded - 03/17/11 23:04

Oh let us pray

Re: "Create something" contest entries uploaded - 03/18/11 16:36

Looks like GRUNTS came in 3rd place in the popular vote.

I'm still holding out hope that we win at least second place in the contest. GRUNTS needs different shapes for the collision hulls...

Re: "Create something" contest entries uploaded - 03/18/11 17:27

we also nood the option to recource our files...

Re: "Create something" contest entries uploaded - 03/18/11 17:37

I think everybody needs that wink

Re: "Create something" contest entries uploaded - 03/18/11 18:44

Like I have said before I don't think votes will matter all that much due to the obvious cheating problem. I would be surprised if grunts did not win laugh It definately deserves a prize

Re: "Create something" contest entries uploaded - 03/18/11 19:19

I also need pro in order to have a server list in Assault! using FTP and HTTP functions, otherwise it would be impossible
© 2024 lite-C Forums