Inventory workshop in RPG

Posted By: 3run

Inventory workshop in RPG - 03/22/11 16:30

Please, George, I know that you are very busy person, but anyway, in my opinion current RPG template will be senseless without good advanced inventory, which can be opened with defined key. Player must be able to move items from one slot into other as well.. Also will be really great if you'll describe how to make some items which can take few slots in inventory, and one item - one slot items as well. Such things are really important for RPG game I think.
Posted By: StJiongTeam

Re: Inventory workshop in RPG - 03/23/11 02:38

I have a great code to share with u. The author is Micmoc, open source, but please give her credits if you want to use it directly.
Comments are Chinese, so I hope Google translate will help.
Here is the download link:
http://www.negdev.com/3dgs/demo/ItemBox_Micmoc.zip

Re: Inventory workshop in RPG - 03/23/11 15:46

Thank you, this is just great, I need a good Chinese translator.
Posted By: ratchet

Re: Inventory workshop in RPG - 03/23/11 22:18

I think perhaps some programmers could make some little code
to have inventory also laugh ?

Wand why not going further and making some basic :
- MMo style camera with zoom (you can go from third person
view ot FPS view)
- Power tree panel
- Basic RPG attributes level up system (the user spend earned
points to increase ( Strenght, Dexterity, Mana, Endurence )
- A little XP based system for heroes depending on level of
monsters
- A map displaying target zone for quest (like Follout Vegas
map system )

Well if anyone have ideas for improving or gooing further on the RPG template don't hesitate laugh
Posted By: Nowherebrain

Re: Inventory workshop in RPG - 03/24/11 23:07

Are you asking George? or who....If I get around to it(I doubt it, going to school, working, and a pregnant wife)I will write a quick and easy to understand RPG style game...or at least a simple inventory system.(and easy to use...not like the others I have seen, I could implement them...but a beginner could not)

Re: Inventory workshop in RPG - 03/24/11 23:46

I asked George, but I'll be grateful if you could have a chance to write simple and easy to understand inventory system, so we could learn.
If I'll have inventory, I'll be able to move on and make simple RPG game... I started before, had to stop it cause inventory frown
Posted By: tzw

Re: Inventory workshop in RPG - 03/26/11 05:28

micmoc is my friend and i also have written a inventory system for ARPG game, but well, the comments are chinese, too. After the China universty entrance exam (very very very very important for me now), i will translate mine to english and upload.

Re: Inventory workshop in RPG - 03/26/11 07:25

Will be really great if you do so bro, I'll be really grateful.
Posted By: George

Re: Inventory workshop in RPG - 03/29/11 07:32

What I can promise is this: the RPG template will offer a simple, easy to understand, reusable, fully functional inventory. I'm happy to hear that other users are willing to share their advanced inventories, though laugh

Re: Inventory workshop in RPG - 03/29/11 08:10

The main thing I liked from post George, it that inventory will be fully functional laugh
I hope it'll be more advanced than the one we had in Mirrowind and other inventories from AUM laugh
Posted By: ratchet

Re: Inventory workshop in RPG - 03/30/11 14:06

For the previous question, i was not asking to make these RPG elements, i was just suggesting ideas for all the next AUM for this new RPG template serie laugh

Re: Inventory workshop in RPG - 03/30/11 22:42

@George I'm sure yours will be better suited to a blanket of users....

to the others:
What I have so is very WIP, but I have messed with it...I typed a bunch about it before I thought I should wait until it is further along...as it is, I do not have much time with school and work AND a pregnant wife....but stay tuned...when it gets closer to completion I will open a thread dedicated to it.

Re: Inventory workshop in RPG - 04/11/11 05:16

I have not had much time to work on this....I barely found the strength to drag myself here to post....I know this is important to a lot of you and for that I am truly sorry, but I just do not have the time(or strength)to work on this at the moment due to my personal life.

Re: Inventory workshop in RPG - 04/11/11 14:40

Sad to hear frown I was having big plans for this, but anyway I hope someone will make good inventory.

Re: Inventory workshop in RPG - 04/17/11 09:04

well I can break it down simply what I was doing....

1) I filled an array that returned the mouse pos based on inventory panels...
cell_1, cell_2 etc...

2) I read mouse clicks in accordance with each cell and bound them to a few simple checks and functions...
it went sorta like this....

on mouse over the mouse returned a few values...
1. is cell used
2. item description(read from a text file)
ex.
is cell used(is there an item)? then...read cell 1.txt into buffer text.
(every cell had an individual text file associated with it for simplicity...there was also a temp text to read in and out of like a buffer)
once you have the info contained in cell_1 you could move it to cell_2 etc..
part of the data that is stored in the text files contains...
1. current location(cell)
2. bitmap representation used
3. stack count
4. item information(like DAMAGE, GUN/SWORD etc...)
you could go on and on adding to this code I have not submitted it, because
a) it is not complete and
b) in order to test it I had to get it fairly deeply ingrained into my current project and there is a lot of code bleeding between the two....
and finally
c)while it is easy to use, implement and understand...I feel what George will come up with will be better and more robust(besides I just got a new computer and have to sort through all my backed up files to see what is worth salvaging...and I am not sure I will resurrect this...as with all code, I always see better ways to write it the second time.)
Posted By: FoxHound

Re: Inventory workshop in RPG - 04/19/11 02:28

Another way is to use a multidimensional arrays

int yo[10][10];

10 across and 10 down for a total of 100 slots. Now picture the 100 slots on the screen. Each slot with have a number 1 to a million. Each number would represent an item from your inventory. Now set up the positions for the 100 panels. Each panel is actually a button. Set up the function so that it can be clicked, moved and dropped into a new spot.

Yes I know you probably don't need 100 spots but it was an idea. Note that it doesn't have to be a a power of 2 (10 x 10, 5 x 5 or 3x3) it can be anything numbers and the position can be anything, that is up to you.

Re: Inventory workshop in RPG - 04/19/11 06:51

Sounds simple, but I guess impossible for me grin
I hope someone could make some kind of tutorial for such simple but useful thing.
Or next AUM will have something better than we had in old Mirrowind workshop.
Posted By: youlong

Re: Inventory workshop in RPG - 04/25/11 08:45

I also do a RPG game, and I also studied Micmoc teacher's code, if you have any problems, I hope that we can help each other, I have Micmoc teachers on the basis of the code by adding the equipment to wear and display of character attributes.

Re: Inventory workshop in RPG - 04/26/11 23:34

@foxhound the cells were defined with multidimensional arrays, I just tried to break it down so others could get an idea how to do it either their own way or maybe an easier way....I have also tried reading a panels color(with a mouse trace), using a different shade for each slot, to tell what cell you were over, but while this is simpler(since you can still read transparent panels)it takes a bit more memory(size of the panel vs the written code).
© 2024 lite-C Forums