Spring 2012 contest entries uploaded

Posted By: George

Spring 2012 contest entries uploaded - 03/20/12 12:56

Dear friends,

We have received 15 great contest entries; they are now uploaded to Acknex Unlimited:

Acknex Unlimited Demo Page

Please download them, test them and then vote the best one. If the entries contain a readme text file, please read it. The poll won't accept your votes for about 48 hours; I want to make sure that all the entries are OK, so if you have sent one and don't see it in the list make sure to email me at george at acknex dot net.

Thank you!
Posted By: Espér

Re: Spring 2012 contest entries uploaded - 03/20/12 13:32

uhm...
little problem with the rocket game..
i started the main.c, and tried it until i reached 12.000 Points.. nothing happens all the time.. i just saw a big Square that is getting bigger and bigger, and the screen blurred more and more all the time..
after reading the readme.. i think the game has a problem.. No obstacles are created..etc.. just a rocket and that big suqare hole ._.
Multipaint has a too small resolution.. some buttons are out of screen ^^"

And it seems that in the rocket game, conflict, platform and old factory, the ESC Quit isn´t working ._.

old factory has a sprite (gitter) that always rotates when the camera rotates..

from all entries, knights honor (even if you can stuck below platforms), platform and falling man are my favs laugh
Posted By: Kartoffel

Re: Spring 2012 contest entries uploaded - 03/20/12 13:44

Originally Posted By: Espér
uhm...
little problem with the rocket game..
i started the main.c, and tried it until i reached 12.000 Points.. nothing happens all the time.. i just saw a big Square that is getting bigger and bigger, and the screen blurred more and more all the time..
after reading the readme.. i think the game has a problem.. No obstacles are created..etc.. just a rocket and that big suqare hole ._.

And it seems that in the rocket game, conflict, platform and old factory, the ESC Quit isn´t working ._.

I don't know why this happens confused
It should look like Screenshot this.

Maybe its the 3DGS-Version.... I'm 'still' using A7

looks like I'm out...
Posted By: Espér

Re: Spring 2012 contest entries uploaded - 03/20/12 13:50

yes.. that´s the game type i expected.. but didn´t see xD

Posted By: FBL

Re: Spring 2012 contest entries uploaded - 03/20/12 14:03

ESC is not working because I ran out of bytes laugh

Sorry about that.

Use Alt-Tab and then right click -> close for exiting.

Re: Spring 2012 contest entries uploaded - 03/20/12 14:03

I just downloaded A8 trial and I got the same problem.

Seems like theres a problem with resetting the rockets position when pressing enter

EDIT: [Esc] is not working because I didn't include <default.c>

EDIT(2): OK, I was able to fix the problem and make it work for A8
@George: Can I upload the fixed version or is it now too late? confused
Posted By: George

Re: Spring 2012 contest entries uploaded - 03/20/12 14:46

Sure, email it to me.

Re: Spring 2012 contest entries uploaded - 03/20/12 14:52

Originally Posted By: George
Sure, email it to me.

Sorry, but I just noticed that the bug still appears randomly frown

Re: Spring 2012 contest entries uploaded - 03/20/12 16:32

Themost useful entries probably are Pathfinder and xDebug. But I don't see how xDebug meets the 5k requirement - might have missed sth, though.
For the Pathfinder, an additional unobfuscated version not object of the contest would have been cool for reusing.

Most original entry is Multipaint, I think.
Posted By: StJiongTeam

Re: Spring 2012 contest entries uploaded - 03/22/12 01:35

Well, let us look at the requirements again.
"The size of the source code file(s) shouldn't exceed 5KB".
"Email us a zipped file which contains the following items:"
"- the source code;"
"- a demo that showcases your snippet;"
"Send your entry / entries by email to resources@acknex.net if its / their size doesn't exceed 5MB;"
It indicates that the source code is no longer than 200 lines and less than 5KB, but the demo can be any size.
In XICE's project, only Xdebug.c is the source code which is just 9 KB.
We cannot, of course, count the help.html file as part of the source code. According to the instruction he gave in the help.htm, we know that sample_1.c, sample_2.c and sample_3.c are just samples of Xdebug, and skycube+6.dds, small are only used by these samples.
I think his entry does not violate the rules of the contest, or it would be rejected.
Posted By: Superku

Re: Spring 2012 contest entries uploaded - 03/22/12 13:25

Rocket Minigame sadly doesn't work for me, too.
MultiPaint is pretty cool, I was planning to make such a game myself in a 3D Minecraft style, so it probably gets my vote.
I remember The Conflict from the old A4/ A5 days when I watched it on my mother's PC, it's still cool but I would have preferred a new demo.

Quote:
In XICE's project, only Xdebug.c is the source code which is just 9 KB.

Exactly, it's 4KB above the requirement. It's still a nice and useful contribution, though!

Re: Spring 2012 contest entries uploaded - 03/22/12 13:53

Originally Posted By: Superku
Rocket Minigame sadly doesn't work for me, too.

I'm really sad that it's not working
I put a lot of work and time in this game.
I think I made a mistake when I made the code shorter but even if I would fix it now - It's too late frown

Anyway, all other contest entries are great wink

I found the mistake. there was a missing wait();

Re: Spring 2012 contest entries uploaded - 03/22/12 17:52

George just uploaded the fixed version of my contest entry to Acknex Unlimited. | direct link
Thanks George!

Re: Spring 2012 contest entries uploaded - 03/22/12 18:17

Most likely the winner.
Posted By: Progger

Re: Spring 2012 contest entries uploaded - 03/22/12 18:44

Well there are really good entries here but i think the best ill vote for is multipaint because it is special.
I mean it is very useful to communicate with each other laugh.
And it is also like Firoball said the most original entry.

I also liked the rocket game because it is fun to play it. The Graphic is well done.And it is also a challenge to get through all holes without crashing.I enjoyed it too.
Well good luck to all entrants laugh
WFG Progger laugh .
Posted By: annonymie

Re: Spring 2012 contest entries uploaded - 03/23/12 15:15

Thanks for the praise for MultiPaint - I spend much time for the project. laugh I plan to update it after contest voting ends... more tools, save and load pictures, maybe a small chat between all artists and last but not least... more performance for use over internet/VPN laugh

I voted for 3DGS Pathfinder, because I think, it could be useful for my main project "Transport Genius".

So good luck to all other entrants,
Tino

EDIT: Some of you told me, that some regions of MultiPaint are outside the window. George uploaded a fixed version, where I set video_aspect to 1.333. So the problem should be solved. Thanks to George!
Posted By: Progger

Re: Spring 2012 contest entries uploaded - 03/25/12 19:47

Hmm im wondering why pathfinding is getting more and more voices...
And all the other entries not.Is there someone cheating.
I mean it is easy to go to icq facebook whatever and ask someone to vote for you.
I just want to see a competition which is fair grin
And good luck to all entries again
Greetings Progger
Posted By: alibaba

Re: Spring 2012 contest entries uploaded - 03/25/12 20:00

I think it deserves it´s votes, in comparison with the other entries wink
Posted By: Widi

Re: Spring 2012 contest entries uploaded - 03/25/12 20:01

I vote for the pathfinding too. I think it is a usefull tool. But also the other entries are great
Posted By: Wjbender

Re: Spring 2012 contest entries uploaded - 03/25/12 20:32

ah come on guys someone please throw me a few bones here
cry
a quote from aum 104 by george
Quote:
The main idea of this contest isn't to force you to disguise the code, but to create something valuable with as few lines of code as possible.

but yes ALL entries are totaly GREAT
Posted By: msl_manni

Re: Spring 2012 contest entries uploaded - 03/26/12 07:04

Where is the clean code for all entries, espicailay for pathfinding. In their current state they are useless for learning purpose. Hope to see the clean and commented code for all entries here too. And good luck to all.

Re: Spring 2012 contest entries uploaded - 03/26/12 11:56

I'm sorry but I accidently saved the short version over the original one and didn't create a backup frown
Posted By: Widi

Re: Spring 2012 contest entries uploaded - 03/26/12 13:30

But with the replace function from SED you should be able to switch the code back to a clean code.

Re: Spring 2012 contest entries uploaded - 03/26/12 16:08

Originally Posted By: msl_manni
Where is the clean code for all entries, espicailay for pathfinding. In their current state they are useless for learning purpose. Hope to see the clean and commented code for all entries here too. And good luck to all.

You can find another zip file with the WIP scripts of my stuff here:
http://www.opserver.de/ubb7/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=397659#Post397659
Posted By: txesmi

Re: Spring 2012 contest entries uploaded - 03/26/12 18:40

I started my entry with the pathfinder function heaped and modified it while heaped, so I have not a clear (and commented!) copy of the entry code. I'm working on it but my english is really poor and it takes its time...

@Progger
I am the most surprised about that votes difference. I never dreamed on those results. You can believe me or not, but I never told to someone for voting for me, moreover I told my friends to not voting, in most part because I own A8 Pro and it is not than important for me.

Anyway, you can ask for voters IP or username publishment, so all we can see where the votes come from before launching accusations with impunity, that I honestly feel it the easiest and worst.

- Refranero popular -
Cree el ladrón que todos son de su condición.
S.H.A.K.T.A.L.E.
Posted By: StJiongTeam

Re: Spring 2012 contest entries uploaded - 03/26/12 23:39

Xdebug is really useful. If it doesn't violate the contest's rules, it should be top 3.
Posted By: Joozey

Re: Spring 2012 contest entries uploaded - 03/27/12 22:50

Some good entries there! Was really impressed by the conflict demo, which I voted for. Rocket Minigame sort of worked, I like the flare but it was pretty slow and the particles didn't move properly I think. Multipaint looks really good and finished as well! Didn't try multiplayer but I'm sure it works. Pathfinder is also nice, but it didn't seem to show the whole test area on my rather tiny screen. Still a nice algorithm!
Posted By: msmith2468

Re: Spring 2012 contest entries uploaded - 03/28/12 21:57

I enjoyed testing/playing the demos. I think everyone did a great job and now I have some great examples to look at if I am doing something similar. Ultimately I voted for the entry that I found most impressive (Multipaint). I think its a great little program and I cant wait to break down the code to see exactly how it all ticks laugh.

fallingman - I played this for a while. I kept thinking it would get harder and maybe the platforms would move faster but they never did. I enjoyed it but I feel that it was missing increased difficulty.

customcontrols, custominventory, managepanels, minimap, mouse - All of these were good examples and I am sure I can learn a bit from reviewing them.

Overall I think everyone did a great job. Good luck to all entry's !!
© 2024 lite-C Forums