Winter 2012 contest entries uploaded - let's vote!

Posted By: George

Winter 2012 contest entries uploaded - let's vote! - 12/11/12 08:52

Dear friends,

We have received 6 (six) entries for the Serious Games contest; they are now uploaded to Acknex Unlimited:

Acknex Unlimited Demo Page

Please download them, test them and then vote the best one. If the entries contain a readme text file, please read it. The poll will start accepting your votes in a few hours; I want to make sure that all the entries are OK.

Thank you!
Posted By: sivan

Re: Winter 2012 contest entries uploaded - let's vote! - 12/12/12 08:51

Mooncraft does not work properly if you have a Commercial licence key, but when I replaced it with my old Extra licence key, it is perfect!!!
Posted By: Wjbender

Re: Winter 2012 contest entries uploaded - let's vote! - 12/12/12 09:12

Sivan yes all my entrys made on free version , did i not mention that in readme files ? Doh! Sorry if i did not ,theres also something strange happening when i switch to fullscreen mode all physics stop working ,i have no idea why
Posted By: Realspawn

Re: Winter 2012 contest entries uploaded - let's vote! - 12/23/12 13:29

282 views but 16 votes ?
Posted By: HeelX

Re: Winter 2012 contest entries uploaded - let's vote! - 12/23/12 14:07

I totally forgot that, sorry. I'll post later my reviews.

Re: Winter 2012 contest entries uploaded - let's vote! - 12/23/12 15:34

This review is in alphabetically order and I wrote my comments right after or while I played the particular contest entry. I tried to review the actually educational/serious-aspect of each game most, because this is what it is all about in this contest. If I critize something, this isn't meant as an offense but as a hint what you could have done better.

For my understanding Realspawn has captured the spirit of serious games most with Animals and Solarsystem. The EProcurement and Mooncraft demos have also a potential to transfer knowledge or the experience of a simulated environment to the player, but missed the accessability of information and game controls so that the game experience was totally broken which makes the player want to exit the game rather than to play the game. The EProcurement demo failed especially because it was an attempt to migrate the character of a lecture into a 3D world, which simply is a thing that doesn't work without utilizing the power of interactivity. Cue-Ball and Gamestudio trivia are quizzes; if Gamestudio trivia were actually about real Gamestudio trivia, it would have been fun, but in the end it wasn't, so thats for that. In the following you find more specific notes on each game.

Animals
The idea is simple and nice, the graphics are also very decent, given that the target group are kids. Have you drawn the animals by yourself? I think a small introduction is missing ("click on this knob and guess which animal it is") and a reward is missing at the end when you have guessed all 9 animals. Some of the animals were hard to recognize, like the lion and the bear. The butterflies are a really uplifting effect, but in return the music is very annoying. I could imagine that the music could distract a child and belittle it's concentration.

Cue-Ball
Putting a multiple choice quiz between two levels is a very simple way to put an educational factor into a game. But for a serious game it has to be more like that and it has to be the main element of the game. Learning by doing could be a solution. Asking "what is 1 + 1" is neither challenging nor entertaining and that is why your entry is very weak. Thinking in terms of "a game plus quizzes inbetween" can also be an argument for not playing a game, because the quiz breaks the game experience. Besides, the pool billard game is unplayable for me - I can hardly move the cue and can't hit the ball.

EProcurement Interactive Learning
E-Procurement is the purchase and sale of supplies, work, and services through the Internet. Given that background info, I expected something that is serious and targetted towards young professionals and/or trainees. In the Starter-Window, you can press the button "Open Text", which opens a readme written in German. Given that the starter and the setup are English, it would be better if you select the language in the Starter (German/English), make the app completely German or completely English. The same applies to the button "Open Podcase" and the played audio file. What is a Podcase? I only know the term Podcast. And in the game, the written and spoken text are also German. If you really wanted to gain a positive ranking in this contest, I would have translated everything.

What I like is that you show the "WASD+Mouse" panel at the start so that the user knows what to do. But I don't know how to activate objects.. I pressed E... didn't work. Ah, a mouse click works. But where do I have to go? If the camera would face the first person, I would know it. When he talks to me (he looks like Hitman.. not very comforting), he doesnt at least turn to me and I can walk away and do stuff. Because the voice comes from the off I feel a bit alone and not addressed. My point is even though I critize your controls and game mechanics apart from the educational factor, it must be important for you as a game designer to settle the player in a well known environment so that he is able to learn new things. If you decide to make a game to transfer your knowledge, your game must not violate well established basic rules.

For the educational part: it is very boring. Sorry about that. When I click on the hologram, he talks and talks and talks - and I have no subtitles. What if I want him to repeat the last sentence? And what if I have questions? Moving a learning situation into a game is a nice thing, but you should use the power wisely: if you would make him behave like a character in a RPG, like Skyrim, you could offer different dialogue options in which the user would be able to INTERACT with the speaker. That is why your attempt fails to carry knowledge: the player would have the possibility to make a selection process on the things you tell him, but you doesn't allow such things. Ultimately, it is only like a lecture - but even worse, because the player can't ask stuff. And you can't progress to the next room if you don't listen to the way too long spoken passages. I am sorry to say that, but this was a very bad design decision. Another thing what I dislike is the environment. It looks like a Doom level and not like an environment that supports the learning process. If you e.g. introduce into procurement, why don't let the player go into an office where people are actually working and you can ask what they do and in those dialogues you encapsulate the info. Or for room 2 in which you introduce into the difference of direct and indirect goods for production: you could build a factory hall in which Coke cans are actually manufactured. You could go around with a foreman who tells you about the process and what is needed to make a can - and these are direct goods --- he could even tell you jokes about the office jerks and what money they spend on things that aren't affecting production - which are indirect goods.

So, all in all I am bit disappointed with this entry not because of the contents, but because of the lost potential of placing the player in a interactive environment. It feels more like a lecture, but even more restrictive and boring. Sorry about that.

Gamestudio trivia
I hoped that this thing was a collection of fun facts and other interesting things about Gamestudio, JCL, it's history and other remarkable stuff. But unfortunately I was sorely disappointed. This quiz is a bit more entertaining than Cue-Ball, but not much. I don't know what educational purpose it has - because you need to know the stuff to solve the thing. Sure, that is the point of the game but what is serious about this. Besides, I found the formulations of the questions a bit strange. The programming of the letters is nicely done, but, hell, you scared me with the sound effect when you entered a correct answer. I don't like to be scared and even more if I am supposed to learn something.

Mooncraft
Mooncraft - cool name bro! And when I started it I though... what the heck is that? Ah, a simulation. When the "moon device" - whatever this is - falls down, it can't even stand there.. it overthrows, because the floor isn't a plane or something. And what should I do? I only see LOTS of text on the screen. Then, finally I found out which controls to use. Which are very very hard to use, actually. Where is the reset-button? The whole thing is nearly unplayable, the space-thing is turning around and doesn't stabilize so that I could manoveur correctly. I was finally able to grab another thing and shoot it - and that was the moment where I was done and quit the game. This was no fun, hard to control and I learned nothing.

Solarsystem
Beside the fact that you have obviously ripped a TV-documentary and use Star Trek music score in this demo (very very bad Realspawn ^^), I kinda like it. What you have done wrong is obviously the proportions of the planets, the spaceship, the distances - and in particular the planetary orbits around the sun --- Pluto for example is not in-plane with the orbits of the other planets and they are not all perfectly centered around the sun. You should have done this better. You could have put very much value in this demo buy letting the player travel to each planet and its moons and present some information there. You get a bonus point for "Regards, Admiral Realspawn" ;-)

Regards,
-Christian
Posted By: PadMalcom

Re: Winter 2012 contest entries uploaded - let's vote! - 12/23/12 15:41

Hey HeelX, thanks for reviewing all the games!

Concerning the EProcurement-Demo: I know, it is bad. Really bad. But it fits in the contest and that is why I handed it in. Unfortunately, my tool PresentationGS was not accepted since I contacted George too late. Next time there is more to expect from my side, I promise! laugh

Re: Winter 2012 contest entries uploaded - let's vote! - 12/23/12 15:46

Originally Posted By: PadMalcom
Next time

I really hope that the next contest is an "open for everything" contest so that more people are throwing in their stuff.
Posted By: Kartoffel

Re: Winter 2012 contest entries uploaded - let's vote! - 12/23/12 16:33

I agree with HeelX smirk
...Or maybe a contest which doesn't give that specific rules.

Re: Winter 2012 contest entries uploaded - let's vote! - 12/23/12 16:35

thx for testing out our demo's

As a non coder it was for me nice to try create something people can use to learn from. So kids love the game and jup the music is annoying (Press M to cancel it) The drawings are royalty free so i did not draw them myself laugh An instruction is still a good idea so i will add it. Kids seem to love it and it was my intention to create something that teaches younger children. In this case animals and there sound in a playfull and simple enviroment

You're right about the proportions but my goal was to show the solar system and in the second part the player can visit the planets. I will however change a lot in the future now i have time for it to create a master piece laugh hahah thank you for testing and voting

About solar. My intention was to create a simple demo that shows our solar sytem and gives some explanation about the planet. I used voice sample i found on you tube but can always replace them later with my own voice and music. Due to the deadline i decided to send then entry as it is.

Re: Winter 2012 contest entries uploaded - let's vote! - 12/23/12 18:30

the cue ball default "quiz" was an example of how the quiz comes into play between levels the easy "1+1" was just examples ,the idea was to for someone
to CREATE a quiz based on a TEST PAPER questions or whatever and a pupil or child would play while answering (yes not very cool but education is not ment to be cool or fun although i tried implementing fun+education) ,the physics
has some sort of difference from free version to full version where the forces
seem to be LESS on the full version (seriously not my mistake, or is it? o dont know) ,but thank you for reviewing it ,very good points made there !!

congrats to the winners in advance AND OH YEAH HAPPY HOLIDAYS!!!!!
Posted By: George

Re: Winter 2012 contest entries uploaded - let's vote! - 12/26/12 10:15

Dear friends,

The jury has chosen the winners, which match your choices perfectly:
1st prize: Solar System by Rene Pol aka Realspawn
2nd prize: EProcurement by Jonas Freiknecht

I have sent JCL an email, so he will contact the winners soon.

Congratulations to all the participants!
George

P.S. Many thanks to HeelX for taking the time to review the contest entries.

Re: Winter 2012 contest entries uploaded - let's vote! - 12/26/12 11:03

Santa got your letters ! Enjoy your well deserved prizes
Posted By: 3run

Re: Winter 2012 contest entries uploaded - let's vote! - 12/26/12 11:35

My congratulations!

Re: Winter 2012 contest entries uploaded - let's vote! - 12/26/12 16:57

Congratulations!

Re: Winter 2012 contest entries uploaded - let's vote! - 12/26/12 17:55

congratulation!
unfortunately there was little interest in voting, maybe Xmas time is not the best for it...

Re: Winter 2012 contest entries uploaded - let's vote! - 12/26/12 18:08

oh oh oh oh oh......wait ???... i finally won a contest ?? yay yay yay yay
i am real happy thanks to all that vote laugh and thx to the jury also

i am so happy laugh and congrats to a fellow winner : EProcurement
Posted By: rojart

Re: Winter 2012 contest entries uploaded - let's vote! - 12/26/12 19:15

Congrats to the winner and all the point takers!

Re: Winter 2012 contest entries uploaded - let's vote! - 01/03/13 13:39

I received my price today and i am a happy happy dude laugh

thx again to the voters, George and conitec.

You all made my day laugh
Posted By: rayp

Re: Winter 2012 contest entries uploaded - let's vote! - 01/03/13 13:43

YOU ARE THE ONE ! grin
Mf PIMP ! ^^
Posted By: Iglarion

Re: Winter 2012 contest entries uploaded - let's vote! - 01/03/13 13:48

Congratulation!!! smile
Posted By: Joozey

Re: Winter 2012 contest entries uploaded - let's vote! - 01/05/13 04:03

Congrats Realspawn and Freiknight laugh! Make some awesome games with the price.

Re: Winter 2012 contest entries uploaded - let's vote! - 01/05/13 12:04

I will certainly give it my best laugh
Posted By: painkiller

Re: Winter 2012 contest entries uploaded - let's vote! - 01/05/13 13:35

Congratulations!
Posted By: PadMalcom

Re: Winter 2012 contest entries uploaded - let's vote! - 01/11/13 08:26

Thanks guys laugh
Posted By: WretchedSid

Re: Winter 2012 contest entries uploaded - let's vote! - 01/11/13 17:43

I'm certainly late to the party, but Solar System contains some pretty obvious copyright infringements. Now I don't know much about the rules, but shouldn't proprietary third party content be out of the game without any further discussion? To be honest, I'm really surprised no one said anything about this so far (with the only exception being Christian), given that this is a forum where people are usually swinging their pitch forks in no time if one of their assets is about to get stolen (even if it's just happening in their wet dreams).

Congrats to Jonas though, well deserved mate!

Re: Winter 2012 contest entries uploaded - let's vote! - 01/11/13 22:29

Justsid
thx for the congrats to me to wink (as if i do not deserve it)
however I agree and already admitted in using the stuff I got from YouTube the main goal of the contest was to create something people could use to train learn in a gaming way. I put a lot of work into this and succeeded in reaching for the goal. When I read your post it looks to me you think my work was easy to create in a short time and trust me for me it was work i am still pretty proud off.
The proposal of not using any copyrighted stuff in the future seems good to me as I am sure in all past contest you will find stuff not always belonging to the one that created a entry

Re: Winter 2012 contest entries uploaded - let's vote! - 01/11/13 23:16

Originally Posted By: Realspawn
thx for the congrats to me to wink (as if i do not deserve it)

In my opinion you do not deserve it. You kind of state the reason in your post already, but let's just ignore the blatant copying of other peoples IP and analyze what we've got left; A game that wants to teach something but doesn't. Christian already pointed out that the orbit and scale of the planets is wrong, so you aren't actually learning something about the solar system. The only real teaching component are the 20 second audio snippets, which you didn't make (and even they provide very little information. But whatever).

And as if it's not enough to copy other peoples IP, you also pass it off as your own work. The credits state that you made all the content, and there is nothing stating that you used other peoples work. So you copied other peoples work, claimed it was yours and enriched yourself in the process. Definitely something you should be proud of.

To make it short, I won't congratulate on this. To be honest, I don't even think that you deserved to take part in this contest to begin with (let alone even win it).

When I read your post it looks to me you think my work was easy to create in a short time

Except that I was writing about copyright infringement. But yeah, your mileage may vary.

The proposal of not using any copyrighted stuff in the future seems good to me as I am sure in all past contest you will find stuff not always belonging to the one that created a entry

There is a difference between using work that is under the public domain and committing copyright infringement and fraud. Also; Citation needed.

Re: Winter 2012 contest entries uploaded - let's vote! - 01/11/13 23:55

ah pooh laugh

Re: Winter 2012 contest entries uploaded - let's vote! - 01/12/13 19:58

JustSid@ what is wrong with you? are mad or something? if you think that Realspawn doesn't deserve his prize, then try to contact with the support-team (judges maybe), or do whatever you want, but why shitting the forum by offending a person, which really tried to do his best (using someone else work as a part in his own, wasn't stated in the contest, was it)?? Plus, I don't really think, that all orbits and scales of the planets should be 1:1 to real ones, I guess he aimed this for kids (have you ever seen books for kids??). Man, you really acted like a jerk..

Edit: Ohh, and please, if you really have something to tell me, do that via PM, don't act on public, as you usually do.
Posted By: Error014

Re: Winter 2012 contest entries uploaded - let's vote! - 01/12/13 21:51

You know what? I think JustSid is right on this one.

I do believe Realspawn when he says it was a lot of work for him, and he's certainly allowed to be proud of his work!
But that's not what we're supposed to judge and/or honor here. This is about the objectively best created content that teaches people something (well, I guess "serious games" could be more than that, but it'S not like anyone attempted that). "Animals" may be a nice game for kids, but it doesn't teach anything (unless we count the sound animals make, and this is pushing it).

And the use of someone else's work - without crediting it, even! - in a non-private, non-for-hobby project is an instant reason to disqualify the entry.

Even not counting that, the whole thing seems like missed opportunities to me. Why not show the scale of planets and distances, or at least allow the display to be switched to that? Why not show some basic parameters about the planets?
I do like the idea of asking the player to command a spaceship, though. However, it's cleary unfinished and in a very early state. We're left with an interactive, single vec_dist-check, that's a bit underwhelming for a contest winner. Maybe I'm just bitter because I like astronomy, and this treatment of it isn't what I would like to see

Alright, enough negativity for one post. Sorry Realspawn, please don't be angry at this. I do appreciate you taking time to work with this engine and that you show your progress. I also fondly remember some of your earlier projects. But I think you've made a mistake here that for some reason you're not getting called out on, which seems unfair and wrong to me. JustSid spoke up, and he's completely right on this.

EDIT: 3run - please, if you're not comfortable discussing this in public, then, err, don't start a discussion in public. Don't use this cop-out to have the automatic last word.

Re: Winter 2012 contest entries uploaded - let's vote! - 01/12/13 22:02

Error014@ Am I saying that I'm not comfortable with anything? I would like to keep private things, out of the public, but some of you as I see don't do that, are you trying to attract attention like that or something? Nice to see, that you also would like to agree with justsid on shitting down the forum by offending someone of public! My point is, if you don't like him being a winner, don't try to offend him (here on forum), but do something else instead of that (at least send him a PM, contact with a judges as I've said already), cause it's really rude and boorish (but yeah, pretty easy) to talk shift over a person.

Edit: I'm allowed to use anything in my needs, even for "the automatic last word" things.

Re: Winter 2012 contest entries uploaded - let's vote! - 01/12/13 22:20

Please, calm down!

Look. We're not "shitting down" the forum. We're not talking about Realspawn, the person. We're talking his project. Which is what this forum is about. This whole thread is about the projects and the contest. Where else to talk about this? What else to talk about in here? If Realspawn is truly not interested in opinions, feedback - which would be a shame, because how else to learn and improve? - and finally a judging of his game, then, err, he shouldn't enter them into a contest, which are about finding out what is the best and what fulfills certain criteria the best.

To summarize: Any (real, not fabricated) feedback or comment I have about Realspawns project - that he submitted to this contest - are not a private issue between me and him when he posts about it or enters them to a contest with the public voting on it.
There's much to learn from feedback of other projects as well, it'd be a shame if we kept those sources of knowledge away from people! laugh

Also, if we're really allowed to "use anything in my needs", then I want everyone to reply to this in haiku. Also, the first character of every word should, when taken together, form the name of a country in Latin America.
(I jest, of course)
Posted By: Uhrwerk

Re: Winter 2012 contest entries uploaded - let's vote! - 01/12/13 22:22

Originally Posted By: 3run
Nice to see, that you also would like to agree with justsid on shitting down the forum by offending someone of public! My point is, if you don't like him being a winner, don't try to offend him (here on forum

Sorry, I don't get it. Where exactly is the offense?

Re: Winter 2012 contest entries uploaded - let's vote! - 01/12/13 22:36

Originally Posted By: Error014
There's much to learn from feedback of other projects as well, it'd be a shame if we kept those sources of knowledge away from people!
Error014@ I totally agree with you on this, but, not in that rude way, as justsid did, thats what I'm talking about.
Originally Posted By: Error014
We're not talking about Realspawn
Error014@ Maybe you don't, but justsid does.
Originally Posted By: JustSid
To be honest, I don't even think that you deserved to take part in this contest to begin with (let alone even win it).
A game that wants to teach something but doesn't.
Sure, you can throw this words just as your 2 cents in, cause this is what feedback is.
But it's sounds really meanly from a side, when you tell this on public to show your negative attitude.

Uhrwerk@ it's really offending, if you don't respect what person does (especially, when you see, that he tried his best).

Re: Winter 2012 contest entries uploaded - let's vote! - 01/12/13 23:38

It's exactly the opposite. JustSid does not criticize the things Realspawn did. He criticizes the things Realspawn did NOT do but claims to have done.

I don't know if Realspawn has used copyrighted material, but if that is the case I think JustSid or anybody else is absolutely right about critcizing that. Using copyrighted material should lead to exclusion from a contest, especially as the winning entry cannot be published then. I also don't think that it's rude or offensive to clearly express this. A copyright infringement is no peccadillo.

Re: Winter 2012 contest entries uploaded - let's vote! - 01/12/13 23:59

again ah pooh laugh

Animals is learning kids the sound animals make so there is
a learning progress here.
(even young children learn people !)

Solar system is an example how you can teach things by showing
and telling, then let people fly to the planets to see if they
learned (remembered) where that specific planet is. Serious gaming is nothing more then learning something while playing also a game

The judges decided so if you not agree bother them. Looking at the votes and their desicion they understood what i was trying to accomplish aswell as Heelx review stated what the goal was

Not congratulate me but specificly one person is no respect
to me cause i know i did my best to send in an entry as anyone else,It even was a lot of work to create al the sound clips laugh
I agreed on the fact that it perhaps should not have been done by me but at least Heelx mentioned in a normal way.

and if you find the time go look in all the previous entries wink
over the years. I'll bet you you find enough stuff where credit is not given and stuff of others is used laugh

To all my best regards

and untill the next contest laugh
Posted By: lostclimate

Re: Winter 2012 contest entries uploaded - let's vote! - 01/13/13 00:16

To be honest, I don't even think that you deserved to take part in this contest to begin with (let alone even win it).
A game that wants to teach something but doesn't.
Sure, you can throw this words just as your 2 cents in, cause this is what feedback is.
But it's sounds really meanly from a side, when you tell this on public to show your negative attitude.

Uhrwerk@ it's really offending, if you don't respect what person does (especially, when you see, that he tried his best).

not sure I'd call the way he said it rude. he states clearly his point. he does not attack the work that realspawn put into it or realspawn himself. he states that realspawn broke intellectual property rules and should therefore be disqualified and that he does not think realspawn deserves congradulations on it.

I think justsid came out in need of some honesty not in want of offense to Realspawn.

Re: Winter 2012 contest entries uploaded - let's vote! - 01/13/13 00:22

It's not about how much work it is or if you did the best you could. It's also not about how many people did it before. Driving drunk is irresponsible and will always be irresponsible, regardless of the number of people who did it before. Although not directly comparable, the same is true for copyright infringement. It does not get better as others do it as well. I think it's pretty clear that you have gotten an advantage over the other contestants here as you used materials you were not allowed to use and the others had to work hard for. Additionally the problem of not being able to publish your entry remains.

Don't get me wrong, Realspawn, I know your for quite some time here in the forums and I think you're a nice guy. But using copyrighted material was not ok. JustSid is just right about the points he made in his posts. Sometimes he is a bit direct. You can easily get that wrong.

Re: Winter 2012 contest entries uploaded - let's vote! - 01/13/13 06:50

lostclimate@ and Uhrwerk@ Telling a person that HE (person himself, not his project) doesn't deserve to take part in this contest isn't rude?
Seriously, you are probably blind, or don't really want to see what I'm saying, but my point is pretty clear, yeah, but as always, who cares..

Re: Winter 2012 contest entries uploaded - let's vote! - 01/13/13 13:19

lostclimate@ and Uhrwerk@ Telling a person that HE (person himself, not his project) doesn't deserve to take part in this contest isn't rude?

Yes, HE shouldn't have been allowed to the contest with this project. I'm not saying that he shouldn't be allowed to the contest in general, or other contests for that matter. This project doesn't deserve to voted on by others, and certainly shouldn't have made the first place. And I don't see why I should only talk about this with the judges, you guys here voted on the entries as well.
Oh, and I do care. That's why I posted here in the first place

Re: Winter 2012 contest entries uploaded - let's vote! - 01/13/13 16:08

it's almost real life here laugh

It does not matter what you say it's how you say it and
with that i rest my case laugh

Also i noticed a gave a full reply to some of the statements made and non seem to have read it.

and reading is also important kids grin

Re: Winter 2012 contest entries uploaded - let's vote! - 01/13/13 20:29

Quote:
Telling a person that HE (person himself, not his project) doesn't deserve to take part in this contest isn't rude?

3run, thanks for the clarification. I've read through the post in question again - I believe we're talking this sentence?

Quote:

And I can see what you mean, I believe. It's not exactly clear from this what JustSid meant exactly. You can read it as you did, in which case it'd actually be a personal attack. The way I read it (and given the other replies, the way I believe JustSid also meant it) was in the context of this one entry, that is to say as "I don't even think that your game deserved to take part in this contest to begin with".

So, all things considered, if JustSid had meant it as you read that sentence, then I'd agree with you. Since he hasn't (according to his later clarification), I stand by what I said.

Again, thanks for clarifying. It happens too often that people just angrily storm out and misconceptions like that are never cleared up!

~ ~ ~ ~

Realspawn,

You know, I don't argue that you should hand back the prize, or whatever. Though if we're being picky - it is in violation of both rules that are in place:

Quote:

By submitting your application(s) you declare that:
- You have created all the submitted content, or you have the right to use it and distribute it freely;
- The content can be given freely to all the engine users and / or made available for free at Conitec's websites.

But you know what, fine, whatever. I don't mind you winning this.
What I do mind, however, is your absolute refusal to realize the implications of your actions.
The one sentence that comes closest to an apology or to admitting that you've made a mistake is:

Quote:
I agreed on the fact that it perhaps should not have been done by me

And, come one.
You perhaps should not have done that?

No. Please.
You definitely shouldn't have done that.
An apology would go a long way.
And immediatly following that up with "I bet others have done it too!" is also not really helping with the impression that, well, you just don't care that you've stolen content, since you got away with it.

It's a shame. Who knows. Maybe part of the reason why I'm so upset is that I'm so surprised that you - someone who's been around for such a long time - would do such a stupid mistake.

Re: Winter 2012 contest entries uploaded - let's vote! - 01/14/13 16:32

Seriously, you are probably blind, or don't really want to see what I'm saying, but my point is pretty clear, yeah, but as always, who cares..

It's not rude if the person legitimately cheated. People love lance armstrong, but they still called him out on it. Cheating is unfair and needs to be pointed out, even if you still care about the person who did.

Re: Winter 2012 contest entries uploaded - let's vote! - 01/14/13 17:15

i wonder why people go talking about this after the contest is done.
Anyone had enough time to speak their mind and vote. Heelx did. So the winners
are chosen and the whining kids starts......

Don't you guys have anything better to do ?

Re: Winter 2012 contest entries uploaded - let's vote! - 01/14/13 17:56

Why are you getting so offended? and calling us whining kids. I happened to not even care about these contests really, I was just interested in the results and the fact that 3run was acting like it was a personal insult rather than an issue of fairness seemed wrong to me. Are you really going to be offended by honesty? I'd guess that since this topic has come up your probably already never going to risk using copyrighted info in your projects for these contests again, so wasn't it effective as well, whether you agree with the winning of the software or not?

Re: Winter 2012 contest entries uploaded - let's vote! - 01/14/13 18:37

Originally Posted By: lostclimate
3run was acting like it was a personal insult rather than an issue of fairness
lostclimate@ You are the one, who didn't get a damn fuck from my words! The only one, who got my point right, is Error014. I didn't say a thing about that the Realspawn used copyrighted stuff! I talked about the way, how JustSid talked about this, by showing his angry attitude. And as I was the one, who had a private conversation with him, I pretty know his negative attitude towards the Realspawn. And his last post, doesn't really mean a thing to me.

Re: Winter 2012 contest entries uploaded - let's vote! - 01/14/13 18:52

i wonder why people go talking about this after the contest is done. [..] So the winners are chosen and the whining kids starts...... Don't you guys have anything better to do?

Realspawn, the free communication of ideas and opinions is the right of any of us. Some of the posts here surely test the limits of conventional discourse, because some users seem to be emotionally charged about the whole topic. Attempting to achieve equality among all contestants, your entry should have been rejected in my opinion as well. I stressed already that you infringed some copyright. The reason why people started flaming you is because you looked like you didn't care.

The three reasons why I think it is still OK that you have won, is because 1.) George decided that you were allowed to take part of this contest, 2.) the most users voted for your game and 3.) and ultimately, Conitec granted you the prize. Even though it feels quiet embarassing, it is in all objectivity OK that you have won.

So, if it was wrong in the eyes of so many of us, whose fault is it then?

Is it George's fault, because he didn't checked the entries enough? Is it the community's fault, because apparently no one was interested too much, because if they were, they would have mentioned this before like me?! Or is it JCLs fault, because he granted the prize although he might have known the doubts represented here?

It is apparently your fault that you have broken the rules of the contest in the first place. Don't deny it, it is very obvious and you shouldn't be offended if someone points that out. Even if it was hard work to make that game, it was still a crappy move you did. I wonder why you didn't made some music and spoke the text of that ripped video by yourself, that were so simple.

@Others: Please calm down and please participate in the next contest with the same honesty and enthusiam you showed here while flaming Realspawn. And please check the games before the contest is over wink

Re: Winter 2012 contest entries uploaded - let's vote! - 01/14/13 19:06

i never denied anything that's the point laugh

and the offended part for me i stated before.

Point is i never thought that it would be a problem dum thinking of me ? well yeah but it happens i am an impulsive
dude and so is when i create stuff. I don't think i won because i used voice clips and startrek music.

Re: Winter 2012 contest entries uploaded - let's vote! - 01/14/13 19:12

Originally Posted By: lostclimate
3run was acting like it was a personal insult rather than an issue of fairness
lostclimate@ You are the one, who didn't get a damn fuck from my words! The only one, who got my point right, is Error014. I didn't say a thing about that the Realspawn used copyrighted stuff! I talked about the way, how JustSid talked about this, by showing his angry attitude. And as I was the one, who had a private conversation with him, I pretty know his negative attitude towards the Realspawn. And his last post, doesn't really mean a thing to me.
I know your not acknowledging his "copyright stuff" thats my point. Justsids issue was not meant negatively or as a bad attitude, but as his honest view of what should be fair in black and white (or whatever your browser settings set to laugh ) in the rules. Why are you so offended?

Re: Winter 2012 contest entries uploaded - let's vote! - 01/14/13 19:40

lostclimate@ Man, I'm not offended at all, I just got angry. It's really strange to see community member attacking someone for his mistake in this way! Yes there is a wrong move made by Realspawn (and it's was really crappy as HeelX said), but can any of us say, that this isn't for the first time?? I've never seen a bad move from his side, and he is pretty old user around here. And the mistake he made (for his very first time) doesn't allow us to say (especially when everything has ended), that he doesn't deserve to be a part of the contest! And last post of JustSid is nothing to me, after our conversation we had, I can clearly see, that his first words (not that the project doesn't deserve to be in the contest, but Realspawn himself), were what he really meant (and that was a personal attack, as Error014 said). Other than that, I have really nothing left to say... Community members, should learn how to respect each other in a first place, or other ways, not the GS itself (as everyone talks lately), but the community is going to die.

Best greeting from Russia.

Re: Winter 2012 contest entries uploaded - let's vote! - 01/14/13 19:47

i wonder why people go talking about this after the contest is done. [...] Don't you guys have anything better to do?

I can only speak for me here. Under normal circumstances I'm not interested in this contest stuff. I just saw that JustSid posted in this forum and his posts are most of the time very interesting and worth reading. And that's how this whole topic caught my attention.

EDIT: I just noticed that the demo is still available on the resources site. I'd recommend taking it down in order to avoid risking legal consequences. I don't think Paramount has a good sense of humor. Not that it is likely that this stuff is found. Just in case...

Re: Winter 2012 contest entries uploaded - let's vote! - 01/14/13 20:03

[...]

Yep, titling a PM with "Fuck Realspawn" was probably not the best idea (full disclosure, just in case anyone wonders what 3run is talking about). Two things I would like to clarify though:
1) It was a PM for a reason, and the reason wasn't that you askeddemanded it so nicely. Interesting to see though that you now want a public discussion of it.
2) I don't have anything personally against Realspawn. What really pissed me off though is the fact that he didn't seem to care at all about the copyright infringement which is a slap in the face of everyone here who creates their own content.

But honestly, I don't care if Realspawn participates in this contest or any other contest. My posts in this thread were only about Solar System and Realspawns behaviour, nothing personal against him. I don't hate Realspawn, and I don't think that he is the devil himself, or whatever you think I think of him.

@Uhrwerk: Woohow, fanboys \o/ grin
@Realspawn: I don't actually care about the contest, that's why I didn't say anything while the voting was open. I just watched the video you posted in the video thread and decided to check wether the sound pieces were still in the final entry or not, they were and I made the post. Does it make much of a difference though? It's not like I was like "oh man, I fucking hate Realspawn (for no apparent reason), and I absolutely hate that he got the first prize".

Geez, I'm an asshole, not a monster.

Edit: @HeelX: Talking about PMs, I guess I owe you one. I read it, and I'll definitely answer it, but it's going to be a longer text, so yeah... But I didn't forget about you!

Re: Winter 2012 contest entries uploaded - let's vote! - 01/14/13 20:20

"Fuck Realspawn" .... just in case anyone wonders what 3run is talking about
That wasn't is, but whatever..
I don't hate Realspawn
Nice to see.

Re: Winter 2012 contest entries uploaded - let's vote! - 01/14/13 20:54

Quote:
Yep, titling a PM with "Fuck Realspawn" was probably not the best idea (full disclosure, just in case anyone wonders what 3run is talking about). Two things I would like to clarify though:

yeah, probably not a good idea.

Re: Winter 2012 contest entries uploaded - let's vote! - 01/15/13 15:50

on second thought, i think this entire thread needs some appreciation as to how this community is allowing of disagreements, but in the end everyone seems to have at most talked it through even if it did get a little heated.

my point being is that this community seems to still be pretty strong despite people recently making a lot of comments on how it is apparently "dying"

Re: Winter 2012 contest entries uploaded - let's vote! - 01/15/13 15:51

@HeelX: Talking about PMs, I guess I owe you one. I read it, and I'll definitely answer it, but it's going to be a longer text, so yeah... But I didn't forget about you!
Thanks, I'll wait for your reply.

Re: Winter 2012 contest entries uploaded - let's vote! - 01/15/13 22:39

Hmmm , a lot of debate .. I was reading through this "debate" and all i can say is
that rewarding wrong behaviour is not cool , now i know some may perhaps think
That i would have something negetive to say because i was an entrant and lost
but hear me out here , if conitec rewards this kind of behaviour whats to
come from all the next competitions , imagine next time this or something similar happens
How would the respect and honor of these competitions be affected ? Exactly how rewarding
would a wining entry be ? If rules are ment to be broken then what was the point
of working hard to adhere to them while knowing that the end result shall be fair
because those rules levels out the playing field and if so then simply put
My point would be , there was no competition it was simply not a level
playing field , i have no hard feelings towards my other "temporarely enemies while the competision was active" BUT i believe in honosty fairness and honor , since the subject was raised
conitec has not said a single word on it , AND that is the downfall of my respect towards gs the developers and the "jury" everyone is able to see and read this thread !!! whats going to happen when the entry is made public (as was) and a copywrite suite appears ? Will
conitec THEN have a say ? Actualy i dont care and dont know but i am telling you guys now
i am done ! I shall simply not ever use gs again my respect for it will never
again see the light of day

Re: Winter 2012 contest entries uploaded - let's vote! - 01/15/13 22:59

Originally Posted By: Wjbender
Actualy i dont care and dont know but i am telling you guys now i am done ! I shall simply not ever use gs again my respect for it will never again see the light of day
lol?

Re: Winter 2012 contest entries uploaded - let's vote! - 01/15/13 23:44

Wjbender@ I hope you are just kidding, and you won't stop developing your navimesh pathfinding..
As you've already put so much of your time on it. I really can feel your pain, but please, don't give up this soon.

Re: Winter 2012 contest entries uploaded - let's vote! - 01/16/13 00:14

Originally Posted By: Wjbender
Hmmm , a lot of debate .. I was reading through this "debate" and all i can say is
that rewarding wrong behaviour is not cool , now i know some may perhaps think
That i would have something negetive to say because i was an entrant and lost
but hear me out here , if conitec rewards this kind of behaviour whats to
come from all the next competitions , imagine next time this or something similar happens
How would the respect and honor of these competitions be affected ? Exactly how rewarding
would a wining entry be ? If rules are ment to be broken then what was the point
of working hard to adhere to them while knowing that the end result shall be fair
because those rules levels out the playing field and if so then simply put
My point would be , there was no competition it was simply not a level
playing field , i have no hard feelings towards my other "temporarely enemies while the competision was active" BUT i believe in honosty fairness and honor , since the subject was raised
conitec has not said a single word on it , AND that is the downfall of my respect towards gs the developers and the "jury" everyone is able to see and read this thread !!! whats going to happen when the entry is made public (as was) and a copywrite suite appears ? Will
conitec THEN have a say ? Actualy i dont care and dont know but i am telling you guys now
i am done ! I shall simply not ever use gs again my respect for it will never
again see the light of day

uhhh..... that escalated fast. laugh
Posted By: gri

Re: Winter 2012 contest entries uploaded - let's vote! - 01/16/13 09:51

no no no guys.

because bad timemanagement I did not check the contestentries yet.
But this discussion leading me to play Realspawns stuff.

To use legal-protected material is always an bad idea. But for me its an communityintern contest.

Realspawn himself gave some free stuff to the comunity. So hes not an bad guy.

Re: Winter 2012 contest entries uploaded - let's vote! - 01/16/13 10:27

Yeah lol !! X 100000 whahaha lighten up guys its over and done , history
i believe realspspawn knows well enough it was a bad thing
and i am sure he feels bad about it after reading through
what everyone said but there comes a point when
you have to stop and just relax , no need to flame onwards or
pm eachother in a negative manner ..whats done is done ..move on
focus on something positive ,i for one wil most definitely be focusing on more
positive things myself and no im not seriouse lol lmao

Re: Winter 2012 contest entries uploaded - let's vote! - 01/16/13 10:55

imo it would be the most fair solution to give a pro licence to all the active forum users grin
I know sometimes it is really difficult not to use copyrighted stuff laugh
(I still don't know why I had not made some XBOXs when I had most of its soldering and assembly data at my first job (okay it would be more expensive to make than to buy) grin )

Re: Winter 2012 contest entries uploaded - let's vote! - 01/16/13 12:07

i sended an update demo for the download page.
It has my own voice samples and my own composed song

i am sorry for this riot :)as it never was my intention to
upset this community.

like i explained before i am an impulsive dude laugh

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UpAXe1sJBWw
© 2024 lite-C Forums