A3 projects

Posted By: FBL

A3 projects - 10/27/10 22:28

Hey,

This is a call for long forgotten A3 projects.
I'm trying to collect some of the old projects - but with scripts, textures and levels UNCOMPRESSED as I want to test something. Scripts should run without error on startup. If actions have functional bugs, then this is ok. I don't care about this laugh

If you're willing to share, please drop me a message.

Disclaimer: I'm not trying to steal your work or trying to make money with it. I will not give away any of your stuff to public.

Thanks for helping me out. Looking forward for your goodies.

PS: If you have old uncompressed contest projects somewhere, please inform me also. I'll try to contact the authors.

Again, this is only for A3. A4 and later is not of use for me.
Posted By: Helghast

Re: A3 projects - 10/28/10 11:56

to be honest, While it's not completely out of place here, I think more people would read it when it's in user requests laugh

PS: I dont have any, i've been around since late A4/early A5. sorry
Posted By: TerraSame

Re: A3 projects - 10/28/10 23:39

I'd be willing to bet that George could help.... write him a note!
He's got a heck of a memory and he is obviously very very well organized...
Best of luck Firoball
Posted By: Tempelbauer

Re: A3 projects - 10/29/10 07:41

there´re not much people here, that ever worked with A3. I know only you Firo and george.

hope you find someone that can help you

Re: A3 projects - 10/30/10 14:57

I'll also take resourced projects with source gone lost now laugh
Posted By: Toast

Re: A3 projects - 10/31/10 22:11

You could try to get Hades 2 which is free now and afaik even was on the Conitec server for some time. I cannot find a download link for it anymore though...

Another interesting game also seems to be "The Varginha Incident" (I don't know if it's free though):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFpxTt5aoFw

It seems like Brazil was THE source for decent A3 games... wink
Posted By: Michael_Schwarz

Re: A3 projects - 11/09/10 10:19

Originally Posted By: Toast
Another interesting game also seems to be "The Varginha Incident" (I don't know if it's free though):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFpxTt5aoFw

It seems like Brazil was THE source for decent A3 games... wink

It is really sad that that A3 game looks miles better than a lot of the stuff in showcase/projects... The game looks even better than the cutscenes imho.

Re: A3 projects - 11/09/10 11:03

Yeah - I also think that Hades 2 is the best game ever made with 3DGS. It's a sad thing you cannot find a server which hosts it anymore...

I also have to admit that I really liked those A4 "demo games" like The Mission and Adeptus too. They sort of had this certain atmosphere and style which somehow is lacking in pretty much every project I see nowadays. A shame that A4 doesn't run under Windows XP anymore and it seems like A5 doesn't support WDL anymore (at least nobody responded to my topic about compiled & working versions of those demos)...

Re: A3 projects - 11/09/10 22:37

Haven't got any A3 games from someone unfortunately frown

Re: A3 projects - 11/09/10 23:37

There's a version of The Varginha Incident (it also had a different name outside of Brazil) you can find on the internet. I don't know if it's legal or not though...

Well apart from that I guess you know about "The Lord of Lightning" anyway which you still might find somewhere. But well that's all that comes to my mind right now: Hades 2, this Varginha Incident game and The Lord of Lightning...
Posted By: RealSerious3D

Re: A3 projects - 11/09/10 23:54

Firo,

Do you have the A3 test level (the game that came with A3)? Did you try contacting Johann at Conitec? I seem to remember that OpGroup was working on an A3 game back in the day. Some sort of RPG adventure thing. Then there was Gore, but I think they switched to another engine, though it was originally started in A3. I have the A3 engine and editors, but I don't think I have any example games made with it.

Re: A3 projects - 11/10/10 16:15

I know plenty of games, but I don't have them here.

I have indeed contacted jcl, but not because of an A3 game wink

Thanks for the names though.
I might email Alex about Lord of Lightning.

Re: A3 projects - 11/10/10 16:18

I should have Lord of Lightning on an old CD that came with PC Action or something. I'll try to find it this weekend...

Re: A3 projects - 11/14/10 22:24

Ha! PC Action 6/98 it is - good old green CDs... wink
I did upload it here:

http://rapidshare.com/files/430890181/Lord_of_Lightning.7z

You also can get The Varginha Incident (or "Alien Anarchy" outside of Brazil) here. I don't know how far this is legal though (I guess it's from the same guys who made Hades 2 freeware but I'm not sure for this title)...

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=XBWH60M0

Re: A3 projects - 11/16/10 16:18

Wow, thanks a lot for the links.
Posted By: rabbit1988

Re: A3 projects - 11/25/10 22:25

i started with a4 standard. had a5 and a6 commercial, I'm used to a4 a5 projects. i got a7, but i still like the a5 tools, bone editor is there but i have no use for it, its too hard to use, I don't know how to manipulate bones, i have a friend with a3 though, i haven't seen his games, i want to see them, he has been telling me a lot about them and I've been telling him about what I've been creating with my software. i like a4, I'm not good with scripting even with lite-c
Posted By: Clemens

Re: A3 projects - 11/26/10 01:32

Hi there,
nice thread Firoball!

I started with A3 as well.
That's my cleaned, archived project folder:
Originally Posted By: file dates are from 08/29/1997 to 12/21/2007

! skademo.zip
! isgame -- Shooter.zip
! ackman_d -- Acknex3 Handbuch.zip
! Verfl. u. Verurt. zum Leben Run.bat
! The World of Kandoria -- von firoball.de.URL
! vgtinfd -- Die Infoseite zu den Zeiten von A3.htm
! adeptus--GameStudio-Demo -- gut gemachtes Adventure.zip
! kugel -- ein recht cooles Logik-Game! -- unsicher ob 3DGS-Spiel.zip
! vrmesse--VR-Acknex-Demo Messe-Rundgang Essen (sehr groß, aber leer).zip
! mdldemo--Polygon-Actor-Demo -- der Ritter, der durch den Dungeon läuft.zip
! office--GameStudio-Demo-Mystic-Office -- präsentiert die beste A3-Grafik!.zip
! opd3--oPgroup-Demo -- gleiche engine wie skademo, statt Waffen Bälle werfen.zip
[krieg ich net zum laufen] [A3] Floriansdorf-Spiel -- von Big Byte Software(A3).zip
!! ll--3DGS-Spiel--TheLordOfLightning -- von Dingens (Speerzone sein nächstes Proj).zip
[Vollversion auschecken] bruder--iguwnext-GameStudio-SpielDemo -- hab irgendwo Full.EXE
!! The-Varginha-Incident--demo -- relativ gut gemachter Shooter, startet auf Militärbasis, oder so.zip
! Street Life 3D Demo 1.0 -- kommerz. Mafia-Spiel -- Fehlerbehebung; vor wwrun.exe Aufruf muss der Pfad stehen!.zip
! Hades2 Demo -- das mit abstand commerziellste und professionellste A3 Spiel (Shooter) -- macht sogar etwas Spaß.exe
! Verfl. u. Verurt. zum Leben -- nur wg. C. Summer (CWR Spiele) behalten -- viel Mühe; aber blöder Untergrund mit Zombies.zip
! The World of Kandoria -- von firoball.de -- kanns zwar starten (mit -dos.exe), aber das Schwert verwenden; weiß ich nicht wie!.zip
[] nfreeze -- sieht nach dem Game aus, dass mir Papa als GS3d-Präs. vorgestellt hat -- schlecht und buggy, da es immer absützt (WinXP).zip

I also bought one game: Der Name des Bruders.
You can download it here: http://www.myzel.org/download/bruder.zip (page)

Greetings,
Clemens

Re: A3 projects - 11/26/10 16:00

Oooooh.... that's a great pool of A3 games.
Are you willing to share some of those?

I still remember some of the games

Re: A3 projects - 11/26/10 17:26

When seeing Adeptus on that list - is someone able to play it under Windows XP? Did A5 still support WDL in the first versions?
Posted By: ratchet

Re: A3 projects - 11/26/10 19:46

It is really sad that that A3 game looks miles better than a lot of the stuff in showcase/projects... The game looks even better than the cutscenes imho.

I agree laugh
Perhaps people in the old days , put more love and hard work in the creation of a game ?

Re: A3 projects - 11/28/10 16:40

Did A5 still support WDL in the first versions?

What exactly do you mean? WDL (C-Script) is the basic language of GameStudio but has been changed often. And some years ago renamed to Lite-C, because it became a lot more system and c(++) related - made it much more flexible and powerful!

In conitecs words:
Originally Posted By: manual

C-Script was the standard script language of Gamestudio up until 2007. It was developed into a new script language, lite-C, in 2007. Lite-C is extremely similar to C-Script - in fact you won't see a difference at a first glance. However at a second glance it offers a lot more possibilities.

Re: A3 projects - 11/28/10 16:44

Originally Posted By: Firoball

Why not laugh was all freeware.

Here it is - the whole folder (except of Hades2 and Bruder*):
http://rapidshare.com/files/433681167/Clemens__A3_Games_And_More_Folder.zip

*Der Name des Bruders can be downloaded elsewhere (see above).
For the Hades2 Demo I made a separate upload: http://rapidshare.com/files/433681099/Hades2_Demo.exe

Have fun!
Posted By: ventilator

Re: A3 projects - 11/28/10 16:53

Quote:
Perhaps people in the old days , put more love and hard work in the creation of a game ?
no, not more work. a lot less work was necessary with those limited engines. the required skill set was narrower (you didn't need to be much of a 3d modeler for example) and it was much easier to achieve a consistent style.

Re: A3 projects - 11/28/10 17:06

Originally Posted By: Clemens
Did A5 still support WDL in the first versions?

What exactly do you mean? WDL (C-Script) is the basic language of GameStudio but has been changed often. And some years ago renamed to Lite-C, because it became a lot more system and c(++) related - made it much more flexible and powerful!

In A4 you had to script everything in WDL (= world definition language). With A5 this got replaced by C-Script though (and nowadays we have Lite-C of course). I own an old A4 standard version but unfortunately it seems that things are too aged here in order to run with Windows XP so I cannot play things like Adeptus or The Mission 1 / 2 anymore. I sort of like those games for their special atmosphere even though they were extremely simplistic...

Now it has been a long time since A5 was around and I never owned that version which is why I'm not sure anymore what was the case for A5 in terms of WDL. I think that until a certain version it had a compatibility for WDL which got deprecated later on though so there'd just be the more advanced C-Script. I now wonder if that's correct and if the said A4 games would run on a today's system when being compiled by A5...
Posted By: ventilator

Re: A3 projects - 11/28/10 17:08

i started with a5 5.20 and i remember that local variables were a new feature there. tongue

Re: A3 projects - 11/28/10 18:51

A3 didn't even have arrays - go figure how I hated it to script a 20 slot inventory grin

Thanks for the huge uploads. Downloading right now... Stay tuned laugh
Posted By: minbekker

Re: A3 projects - 11/30/10 17:18

Hi.

I made a fps-like game with a3 commercial in 1998, but I never had the chance to upload it. Now I found out that a3 is downloadable for free by this time - it's the commercial version. But how I can get / buy A3 professional today?? PLEASE HELP!

greetinx
min

Re: A3 projects - 11/30/10 23:07

You're right Toast, there was even a difference between WDL and C-Script.
I remember the A3->A4 as the biggest upgrade engine change in 3d GameStudio's history. (You had to program the z-dimension of your level as script *g* .. and A3 had a 2-point-axis optic I suppose)

minbekker, Where do you get it from?

Re: A3 projects - 12/01/10 08:53

Quote:
I remember the A3->A4 as the biggest upgrade engine change in 3d GameStudio's history. (You had to program the z-dimension of your level as script *g* .. and A3 had a 2-point-axis optic I suppose)

A3 was a raycasting engine (fake 3D) like Doom. A4 was a true 3D engine akin to Quake.
Posted By: minbekker

Re: A3 projects - 12/01/10 09:11

I know the difference between A3 and its sequels! But that's not the question: I need A3 prof!! Where can I get this version today? My game can only be edited with that professional one, because I had burst all the limits of the A3 commercial. Please please please help - there MUST be a way!

PS: I bought the commercial for 399DM (?) in 1998.

Re: A3 projects - 12/01/10 19:14

You may ask jcl, meaning ask Conitec directly.... otherwise I see no chance.

Re: A3 projects - 02/02/11 21:17

Wasn't someone recently looking for A3?

Wiki: http://www.opserver.de/wiki/index.php/Timeline
Posted By: rayp

Re: A3 projects - 06/16/11 04:40

Quote:
Do you have the A3 test level (the game that came with A3)? Did you try contacting Johann at Conitec?...
Do u mean "Skaphander" grin (thats the one in the AUM too). Skaphander was tested by a german pc-magazine once, if i remember right it was over 70% in these days.

Man i loved A3. The only thing ive missed was the possibility to switch between Leveleditor and 3d world (build-engine [dn3d fex] was able to do that.

Quote:
I know the difference between A3 and its sequels! But that's not the question: I need A3 prof!! Where can I get this version today? My game can only be edited with that professional one, because I had burst all the limits of the A3 commercial. Please please please help - there MUST be a way!
I still have the A3 com, but not the pro u need grin

Did u know that A3 was able to show MDL files already (even the com. but without skin grin ) ?
Posted By: Redeemer

Re: A3 projects - 06/19/11 17:01

Quote:
Did u know that A3 was able to show MDL files already (even the com. but without skin ) ?

Nifty. Did the renderer apply color mapping to the models instead, then? Or were they just a wireframe/single solid color?
Posted By: Flea

Re: A3 projects - 06/20/11 11:42

Skaphander did come with A3. As well as some other goodies! I have the Pro Version ! But i will not part with it for any price!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I new ack from version 1, and even before that when it went by another name before Conitec bought it!

Re: A3 projects - 06/20/11 11:47

I also have a5 pro and a6 commercial! Lately i have been sleeping .....and dreaming of the greatest game yet to be made.

A3 was given to me as gift from JCL!
Posted By: rayp

Re: A3 projects - 06/20/11 17:27

Quote:
Did the renderer apply color mapping to the models instead, then? Or were they just a wireframe/single solid color?
Just a wireframe...how usefull for the com-users grin

Re: A3 projects - 06/21/11 18:50

Quote:
I new ack from version 1, and even before that when it went by another name before Conitec bought it!

There never was a version 1 from Conitec. They began with version 3.

Before Conitec bought the engine, it was called ACK and then AckNex. ACK stood for Animation Character Kit, if I remember correctly. And ACKNEX was the same, but the NEXt iteration of the engine. Conitec kept the original name of the engine, so it never has changed from the name the original creator (Lary Myers) gave it. Version 3, the first by Conitec, was the next version after AckNex.

Re: A3 projects - 06/22/11 11:31

Wrong! There was, and i find no point in fighting with people who know bugger all!

A3 can still be downloaded if you look hard enough!
Posted By: Pappenheimer

Re: A3 projects - 06/22/11 21:01

http://www.opserver.de/wiki/index.php/Timeline

Re: A3 projects - 06/26/11 14:01

A3 Pro can render skinned models.

Re: A3 projects - 11/01/11 10:30

Originally Posted By: Clemens
Originally Posted By: Firoball

Why not laugh was all freeware.

Here it is - the whole folder (except of Hades2 and Bruder*):
http://rapidshare.com/files/433681167/Clemens__A3_Games_And_More_Folder.zip

*Der Name des Bruders can be downloaded elsewhere (see above).
For the Hades2 Demo I made a separate upload: http://rapidshare.com/files/433681099/Hades2_Demo.exe

Have fun!

I was asked by Anamon to reupload these files, here are links which work again:

http://www.mediafire.com/?ynwqquincum3a3p
http://www.mediafire.com/?8hrj45vt53ha2s9
Posted By: Anamon

Re: A3 projects - 11/03/11 19:52

Thank you so much for the reupload! laugh This is a real blast from the past. I remember it as if it were yesterday, when I was just a wee lad eager to try out 3D GameStudio for myself.

Re: A3 projects - 11/07/11 10:31

You're welcome! Yes, it's much fun to have this small time jump into the past.
© 2024 lite-C Forums