Scientists claim to have broken speed of light

Posted By: PHeMoX

Scientists claim to have broken speed of light - 08/21/07 22:07

Like the title says;
'We have broken speed of light' claim ..

It would definitely lead to some bizarre consequences as mentioned in the article. Arriving somewhere before even leaving got my mind a bit twisted though, but I guess what they mean is that because we need light in order to see things, we would see the thing that moved at it's new location before the light of it's old location is totally exhausted so to speak. Cool stuff, can't wait to hear if it's all true and accurate, it would be big news that's for sure,

Cheers
Posted By: Joozey

Re: Scientists claim to have broken speed of light - 08/21/07 22:12

I wasn't aware of it, but scientists can reach 4 times the speed of light already for decades:
http://www.newscientist.com/article.ns?id=dn2796

Re: Scientists claim to have broken speed of light - 08/21/07 22:27

Yes, I wasn't aware of that either, but correct me when I'm wrong, but I was under the impression that they claim to have made light (photons) go faster than the speed of light using 'photon tunneling', hence the 'you (seem to?) appear before you start your travel' consequence. The two german scientists claim to have found (and proven) that there's an error in Einstein's special theory of relativity or at least an exception.

According to this:
While the peak moves faster than light speed, the total energy of the pulse does not. This means Einstein's relativity is preserved, so do not expect super-fast starships or time machines anytime soon.

The 4 times the lightspeed didn't "break" any laws of Einstein's special theory of relativity.

Cheers

Re: Scientists claim to have broken speed of light - 08/21/07 22:36

somehow in my article they didnt violate einsteins rule, and the people in your article did... I dont quite understand it all need to do more research.

At least you can not see yourself appear before you start because the distance the light must travel is too big before reaching you in time before you left. At least I think, that's how I understood time travelling so far...

Re: Scientists claim to have broken speed of light - 08/21/07 22:53

Same here, same here, I don't quite understand that either, but I guess we'll have to wait for a proper 'confirmation' that these scientists are right.

Quote:

At least you can not see yourself appear before you start because the distance the light must travel is too big before reaching you in time before you left. At least I think, that's how I understood time travelling so far...

True, if you're the one moving at a higher speed than light it doesn't mean your eyes won't react the same to light as normally, hence Einstein's idea of personal time slowing down at extremely high speeds. (If I've understood it correctly that is. Off course, this is all theoretical since our bodies can't possibly handle the extreme g-forces at those speeds I think) The two scientists only send a photon from one prism to another at an apparently higher than light speed speed.

Cheers
Posted By: fastlane69

Re: Scientists claim to have broken speed of light - 08/22/07 00:06

Pretty skimpy article for so much hoopla.
As others have said, the speed of light is "broken" in many instances... heck you can do it as well... simply take a flash light, point it out and spin spin spin! The radial velocity of the light beam is faster than "c"...watch out that you don't blind your grandpa in 1930 or he'll never marry your grandma!!!

However as others have pointed, you can't use any of the knonw FTL to transfer information and thus it is a semantic word game at best with (AFAIK from the aritcle) no practical use whatsoever.

Two other factoids:

1) The speed of light has always been broken in quantum tunneling for that is instantanous. Whether it is truly instantanous or merely too fast to measure I'm not sure but the fact these german cats where working with quantum tunneling leads me to belive they haven't found anything we didn't know.

2) Relativity DOES NOT prevent the speed of light from being broken... only that a massve object cannot be accelerated to the speed of light. In the cracks of that definition, namely that it needs to be massive and accelerated, you could find room for all manner of FTL including massless transportation and non-accelerated motion (as per the Alcuberrie Metric for example)

Re: Scientists claim to have broken speed of light - 08/22/07 00:10

Quote:

As others have said, the speed of light is "broken" in many instances... heck you can do it as well... simply take a flash light, point it out and spin spin spin! The radial velocity of the light beam is faster than "c"...watch out that you don't blind your grandpa in 1930 or he'll never marry your grandma!!!

That was an ingenious joke! Hahaha

But if you can send things FTL, and really meassure the signal on the other side (else how did you know it was FTL?) then transportation of data is already possible right? you could sent signals on time intervals, and depending on the time it arrived determine what data has been sent...

Re: Scientists claim to have broken speed of light - 08/22/07 01:09

Quote:

That was an ingenious joke! Hahaha

It's not a joke. That's true.

Quote:

But if you can send things FTL, and really meassure the signal on the other side (else how did you know it was FTL?) then transportation of data is already possible right? you could sent signals on time intervals, and depending on the time it arrived determine what data has been sent...

Nope. The fact is that measurement is a form of information hence you can't measure a FTL signal. You know it's there, but you can't touch it in a sense.

Re: Scientists claim to have broken speed of light - 08/22/07 03:37

Quote:

It's not a joke. That's true.

You're not gonna tell me your grandpa never did marry your grandma because you stick your flashlight into the washmachine well I guess that if lightwaves went back in time by spinning a flashlight, the effect would be minimum. Else you would see a flash on the wall before you even rotated the lamp! I swear I never saw that happen. Even if you would spin a flashlight around near the speed of light, I doubt you would see a flash a few seconds before the machine starts spinning.

Quote:

Nope. The fact is that measurement is a form of information hence you can't measure a FTL signal. You know it's there, but you can't touch it in a sense.

Can't they slow it down first by colliding the particle with something materialistic? thats kind of odd then, but a pitty I know too few about this subject to start a discussion about it.

Re: Scientists claim to have broken speed of light - 08/22/07 13:52

Hahahah... sorry Jostie... I thought you thought the FTL spinning was a joke when that is very real. The grandpa bit, yeah that was a bit of a laugh.

But again, to slow it down or to collide are both forms of interactions (read: measurements). Again, can't be done. There are really a lot of examples of physical phenomena that travel FTL but they all share that same characteristic: they can't be measured or interacted with directly.
Posted By: JibbSmart

Re: Scientists claim to have broken speed of light - 08/30/07 09:21

Quote:

As others have said, the speed of light is "broken" in many instances... heck you can do it as well... simply take a flash light, point it out and spin spin spin! The radial velocity of the light beam is faster than "c"

as fun as that idea is, it doesn't make sense, because the beam of light isn't an object. the photons are still moving at exactly the speed of light (as Einstein would have you think). they don't spin around with the flashlight.

Quote:

Arriving somewhere before even leaving got my mind a bit twisted though, but I guess what they mean is that because we need light in order to see things, we would see the thing that moved at it's new location before the light of it's old location is totally exhausted so to speak

under the laws of Newtonian physics you're absolutely right, and that's what makes most sense.

however, by Einstein's theory of Relativity, time is dependent on relative speed while the relative speed of light to everyone is constant (and therefore is different to everyone who's moving at different speeds, because it is always 'c' relative to them; this brings about sci-fi ideas of alternate universes), and that time as it appears to be experienced by one object (as well as mass and inversely length) dilates according to its relative speed to the observer (though this is only really apparent at very-near light-speeds).

basically, time is infinitely slowed down (ie, stopped) for something moving at the speed of light exactly, and so the idea is that time would reverse for something moving beyond the speed of light. however, the formula doesn't hold for that because time would need to become a complex number.

fastlane is absolutely right, though, that light-particles don't have mass (or at least no rest-mass -- they obtain momentum through their speed and their frequency which determines how penetrating they are, which is why gamma rays are dangerous and radio waves aren't). like he said, its only considered a problem for anything that has mass, because that object's mass dilates (becomes bigger) approaching infinity as the speed of light is approached, requiring an infinite amount of force (F = ma) to accelerate it that high. anything of such a high mass would theoretically become a black-hole. it's all relative, though. someone approaching the speed of light would see everything else approaching the speed of light (relative to them), obtaining infinite mass and becoming black-holes. so in both alternate observations everything's doomed

but that's all just according to Einstein. most examples ignore the mass dilation and just play with time dilation, because that's groovier . tests seem to support his theory of Relativity but i won't bother making some sort of decision because there's way too much to think about.

anyway, that's high-school physics for ya ^^

julz

Re: Scientists claim to have broken speed of light - 08/30/07 15:57

Quote:

like he said, its only considered a problem for anything that has mass, because that object's mass dilates (becomes bigger) approaching infinity as the speed of light is approached, requiring an infinite amount of force (F = ma) to accelerate it that high. anything of such a high mass would theoretically become a black-hole.

Mmmm, but the speed of light itself isn't infinite, so I guess the way the mass increases at ever higher speeds is logarithmic??

Cheers

Re: Scientists claim to have broken speed of light - 08/30/07 18:52

Quote:

as fun as that idea is, it doesn't make sense, because the beam of light isn't an object. the photons are still moving at exactly the speed of light (as Einstein would have you think). they don't spin around with the flashlight.

Light is very much an object, as real as you and I. Just because something is massless doesn't mean it's not real. All that aside, the idea isn't that light is traveling FTL but the image that it projects is. Here's a good site on FTL; I was talking about the "shadows and light spots" idea.

http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/physics/Relativity/SpeedOfLight/FTL.html
Posted By: Nems

Re: Scientists claim to have broken speed of light - 08/30/07 20:03

Anyone remember the first look at a Muon? This was prior to sub-catagorisation and Muons were thought to be the only examples of Tachyon expressions.

Well! back then it was recorded that a Muon was calculated to have travelled up to 18K times faster than light!

The Muon was the result of 3 oxygen atoms combining to form an Ozone molecule and when struck by a certain wavelength of UV light, seperated to form a massless, inertialess particle that exhibited the 'speed' characteristics of accelleration.

Wrap those babies up and using a weak torch light, you should be able to get Alpa Centauri before you were born!

Re: Scientists claim to have broken speed of light - 08/30/07 21:56

Quote:

Light is very much an object, as real as you and I. Just because something is massless doesn't mean it's not real

that is a very good website, but by that logic every time dragonballz characters instantaneously move from one side of your tv screen to the other, they break the speed of light. the website describes that idea you brought on, but by no means claims that it IS breaking the speed-of-light barrier.

shadows and light-spots never move. they appear and disappear immediately to be replaced by another. light-beams and shadows are just names given to circumstances so we can describe them and refer to them more easily.

julz

Re: Scientists claim to have broken speed of light - 08/30/07 22:10

Quote:

but by no means claims that it IS breaking the speed-of-light barrier.

From the site:

"The speed of a shadow is therefore not restricted to be less than the speed of light.

Others things which can go faster than the speed of light include the spot of a laser which is pointed at the surface of the moon.
[...]

These are all examples of things which can go faster than light, but which are not physical objects."

So they are breaking the light speed barrier but cannot be used to transmit information since they are no "physical" even though they are "real". Or is it the other way around: that because they can break the light speed barrier, they are not physical?

Who knows. The point is that there are plenty of phenomena that break the light speed barrier but none can be used to transmit information. That is all I'm saying...

Re: Scientists claim to have broken speed of light - 08/30/07 22:13

Quote:

Anyone remember the first look at a Muon?

Huh? Muons are massive elementary particles and AFAIK were never thought to be super-luminal.

Re: Scientists claim to have broken speed of light - 08/30/07 22:19

Doesnt detract from the first results though as that is recorded acording to the criteria at the time, some sort of film that could show the paths Muons took at the time.

Since then, catagorisation has shifted the humble Muon and seperated it into various tachyon catalogues.

Re: Scientists claim to have broken speed of light - 08/31/07 03:55

Muons have NEVER been considered as Tachyon candidates so I have NO idea what you are talking about or what you are on (well, maybe I have an idea what you might be on )

Re: Scientists claim to have broken speed of light - 08/31/07 04:11

Oh ok, I doubt if I read the article wrong but the info may be and yet, I cant see how such info could ever have been released in the first place if it was incorrect.

Re: Scientists claim to have broken speed of light - 08/31/07 07:25

what i meant by "breaking the speed-of-light barrier" was that such things don't violate any relativistic laws. i should've been more clear about that.

but like i said, it's like an animation. it's not something actually moving (or at least not in the way we perceive it).

if everyone in a stadium threw their hands in unison, it could be described as a faster-than-light mexican wave. then we could all have a discussion as to whether the wave traveled clockwise or anti-clockwise.

julz

Re: Scientists claim to have broken speed of light - 08/31/07 18:56

Quote:

I cant see how such info could ever have been released in the first place if it was incorrect.

Inaccurate information on the internet? Impossible!
Muons were discoverd in the 30's. There is no scientific publication of that time that I could find that even hinted at them being tachyon candidates.

Julz: I think we are both saying the same thing. The definition of Speed is a change in position over time... it doesn't matter what is changing position. In fact, your dragonball example, technically, also has a speed faster than the speed of light. The basic fact that I'm trying to impress (and you may already know) is that information cannot travel from one place to another FTL. The DB example, the flashlight example, all of these are FTL but cannot be used to transfer information FTL. So again, FTL speeds are possible but not to transfer information... hence teleportaion or massive FTL (both of which could carry a message) are impossible under current physical laws.

Re: Scientists claim to have broken speed of light - 08/31/07 19:09

This information was from the scientists journals at the time and also included in subsequent public encyclopaedias during the same time period.
Further, following these findings the muon in question was then found to be generated as a photon emmission as well as a charged particle!

What the net has to do with this when it didnt exist at the time is beyond me.

Re: Scientists claim to have broken speed of light - 08/31/07 21:26

Quote:

What the net has to do with this when it didnt exist at the time is beyond

I assumed that you found this information on the net and not in the original journal. However...

Quote:

This information was from the scientists journals at the time and also included in subsequent public encyclopaedias during the same time period.

...so could you provide a citation or reference where he states that muons are FTL?

The discoverer of the Muon was Nobel Prize winner Carl D. Anderson in 1937 and I can find no reference on the net or in journals of that time where he or anyone else at that time proposed Muons to be tachyons. They have always been massive and detectible and where always referenced as such, never Tachyons that I could find. I would be facinated to find references to the contrary though!

Re: Scientists claim to have broken speed of light - 08/31/07 21:41

Lol, "massive" is overrated ... isn't matter just all these vacuums of space next to eachother and such?

Cheers

Re: Scientists claim to have broken speed of light - 08/31/07 22:24

Quote:

Julz: I think we are both saying the same thing.

you're right

i guess i forgot that you said something along the lines of this from the beginning:
Quote:

hence teleportaion or massive FTL (both of which could carry a message) are impossible under current physical laws.

julz

Re: Scientists claim to have broken speed of light - 08/31/07 23:39

Quote:

Lol, "massive" is overrated ... isn't matter just all these vacuums of space next to eachother and such?

We really don't know what Mass is! At the lowest level, mass is categorized into leptons and quarks. Leptons are like the electron and neutrino while quarks are the constituents of protons and neutrons (and many many more).

However, the standard model has NO firm explanation for what gives these particles mass nor what mass "is". Right now, there is a very important experiement at the LHIC trying to find the Higg's particle, a theoretical particle/field that gives leptons and quarks their mass. But still, this is further deconstruction and why mass behaives the way it does (and it's connection to gravity) are still mysteries.
Posted By: AlbertoT

Re: Scientists claim to have broken speed of light - 09/01/07 07:10

Quote:

Cheers

To complete fastlane's answer I would like to add the following consideration
Vacuun has been banned by quantum physics as a direct consequence of the Heisenberg's principle of indetermination

Re: Scientists claim to have broken speed of light - 09/01/07 18:50

Quote:

Vacuun has been banned by quantum physics as a direct consequence of the Heisenberg's principle of indetermination

Not quite but I think I know what you are trying to say.
The vacuum, in physics terms, is the lowest energy state. It is true that a vacuum of "exactly" Zero is impossible due to Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle between Time and Energy... but that doesn't mean that a lowest energy state doesn't exist, just that it's not always zero and not always constant. But we still use a vacuum in our calculation so it hasn't been banned, merely redefined.

Re: Scientists claim to have broken speed of light - 09/01/07 20:35

Quote:

... but that doesn't mean that a lowest energy state doesn't exist, just that it's not always zero and not always constant.

Yes ,It is what I meant, but according to classic Physics and common sense "Vacuum" must be alwayes zero and alwayes constant, otherwise it is not vacuum ,not at least in the dayly meaning of this term
Not only , due to the equivalence mass\ energy it has been proved that "vacuum" can "create" massive particles from "nothing" , even though their lifespan is extremely low
This is one of the most amazing discoveries of the modern physics , in my opinion

Re: Scientists claim to have broken speed of light - 09/01/07 21:05

Hey fastlane, been racking my brains but cant remember the publications except for one encyclopedia series (still dont recall the name) which was coloured mauve and white with gold letterings and had 'Technology" in the title.

The scientists publication names have confused me as 'Science' and 'Journal' are standard now but wasnt back then.

Re: Scientists claim to have broken speed of light - 09/01/07 22:51

No worries, nemesis. Like I said, I've never in my studies come across Muons as being Tachyon candidates. Who knows who or why the publication stated that... it's entirely possible that he did in like the margin of his notes and some encyclopedia "ran with it"... or that publication could have made it up!

But in summary, none of the elementary particles, including the elusive neutrino, have ever been Tachyon candidates. By their very detectability they are not candidates, not to mention mass.

Re: Scientists claim to have broken speed of light - 09/03/07 17:49

Quote:

Quote:

We really don't know what Mass is! At the lowest level, mass is categorized into leptons and quarks. Leptons are like the electron and neutrino while quarks are the constituents of protons and neutrons (and many many more).

However, the standard model has NO firm explanation for what gives these particles mass nor what mass "is". Right now, there is a very important experiement at the LHIC trying to find the Higg's particle, a theoretical particle/field that gives leptons and quarks their mass. But still, this is further deconstruction and why mass behaives the way it does (and it's connection to gravity) are still mysteries.

Okey, but the theory about some sort of nucleus with a constant 'mass' is already history I think, because even that nucleus seems to consist of more vacuum and less 'mass' the more you zoom into it.

On a totally unrelated note I think the fact that we can not find the true 'mass' may have the same reason as why we can't find 'thoughts' inside the human brain. It's all just interpretations and definitions of what we haven't fully understood yet. (If that sounded like total nonsense to you then I've probably misunderstood certain parts of a movie called 'What the bleep do we know', a popular science documentary-something about quantum physics... not quite a good source for anything serious I think.)

Cheers

Re: Scientists claim to have broken speed of light - 09/03/07 20:01

The nucleus has constant mass but is further composed of Quarks. The mistake is to think that the nucleus is some solid "ball" because that is how it behaive on our scale... kinda like holding up three tennis balls at a distance: they will look like one "ball" but get closer and you can see the structure.

In fact, 99% of the atom is "empty" but the nucleus has constant mass which is spread in thirds amongst the quarks.

"What the bleep do we know" was a high production introduction into Quantum Mechanics and it's mysteries. However, it had too many "kooks" spouting off channeling and other odd theories. I would have been happier if they had stuck to real science... that's weird enouh without having to invoke spirits! But I don't think they are related as you say. Thoughts are intangible while mass isn't. The fact that we don't know WHY mass exists doesn't prevent us from understanding how it behaives, how to create and manipulate it, etc. Thought on the other hand we have no idea where it comes from or how it's created. At this time, I feel thought and mass are unrelated as far as science is concerned.

Re: Scientists claim to have broken speed of light - 09/03/07 21:20

Quote:

"What the bleep do we know" was a high production introduction into Quantum Mechanics and it's mysteries. However, it had too many "kooks" spouting off channeling and other odd theories. I would have been happier if they had stuck to real science...

True, at some point that movie starts to get ridiculous... I also don't like the way they present theories as fact by the way, for example about the "objects are everywhere until you become aware of them" theory. There's no serious scientist that claims this to be fact, but off course it's popular among the 'it's all a simulation'-fans and such. And yup, the channeling talk is pretty crazy too,

Cheers

Re: Scientists claim to have broken speed of light - 09/04/07 00:19

Quote:

"objects are everywhere until you become aware of them"

That's crazy but scientifically true. An object is undefined until a measurement is done on it. Hence as far as quantum mechanics is concerned, if a tree falls in a forest and no one is around to hear it, it both did and did not make a sound!

We don't experience that on our scale of living because of the "huge" energy environment we live in. Go into the "lower" energy of atomic and sub atomic physics and the above effect become more tangible.
Posted By: Doug

Re: Scientists claim to have broken speed of light - 09/04/07 10:25

The movie, "What the bleep..." is actually a recruiting film for a cult that follows the teachings of a 35000 year old warrior named Ramtha.

Any real science in this film is accidental and, by the time they get done with it, totally misunderstood. (Heisenberg uncertainty principle does not mean that you can become a god by just thinking really hard about it ).

Re: Scientists claim to have broken speed of light - 09/04/07 12:59

Quote:

An object is undefined until a measurement is done on it.

Yes, off course, but this doesn't mean there are dozens of clones in all the possible places when you aren't aware of them, right? The movie sort of claims that. I don't know how this would work on the quantum physics level, but if an object can be at several possible places in theory (since you aren't aware of where it really is), then in practice it's still just at one place... it's not secretly organizing the split second you're looking.

Cheers

Re: Scientists claim to have broken speed of light - 09/04/07 17:29

Quote:

The movie, "What the bleep..." is actually a recruiting film for a cult that follows the teachings of a 35000 year old warrior named Ramtha.

Ahh, kinda like the creation museum's use of science... gotcha! That would explain why the movie was so "crazy" heav and why they used Marlee Matlin so she couln't hear how crazy the script was.

Quote:

Yes, off course, but this doesn't mean there are dozens of clones in all the possible places when you aren't aware of them, right? [...] but if an object can be at several possible places in theory (since you aren't aware of where it really is), then in practice it's still just at one place... it's not secretly organizing the split second you're looking.

Welcome to the wild weird world of Quantum Mechanics!!! This is EXACTLY what it means. There are many theories to explain this, one of the most popular is the "Multiple Universe" interpretation which states that every decision we make creates another universe where every decision is made. So if you say "yes" instead of "no", there is another universe where you said "no" instead of "yes".

Another not so popular explanation is the Bohm interpretaion which talks of Hidden Variables and the idea that there is some order and determanancy to the whole process, but we just can't see it yet. This idea was refuted by the Bell Theorem -- though I never understood how-- and I think it's had some revisions in the past decades because of this.

While we have no experiements to verify the Multiple Universe nor the Bohm interpretation of QM, the idea that a particle is undefined until "the split second" you look at it is very well tested in Quantum Mechanics. The famous "One Photon Interference" experiment goes something like this: when light passes through slits, it forms an interference pattern on the other end. This pattern is a result of one lightwave interfering with another light wave (much like dropping two pebbles in water or the sound from two disjoint speakers). Now here is the weird part... we can actually fire ONE PHOTON, ONE PARTICLE OF LIGHT into the same slits... we can fire it at the center slit for example so that it doesn't touch the left and right one and see what comes out the other end... AND WE STILL GET INTERFERENCE! The explanation is that until we measure the interference pattern on the other end, the photon actually went through every slit, not just the center one, and interfered with itself. If you try to determine which slit it went through, by trying to measure it AT the slit, then the collapse occurs at that moment and there is no interference.

Re: Scientists claim to have broken speed of light - 09/04/07 18:39

Quote:

Welcome to the wild weird world of Quantum Mechanics!!! This is EXACTLY what it means. There are many theories to explain this, one of the most popular is the "Multiple Universe" interpretation which states that every decision we make creates another universe where every decision is made. So if you say "yes" instead of "no", there is another universe where you said "no" instead of "yes".

Okey, interesting stuff hahaha. Do you have any books that you would recommend reading on this?

Cheers

Re: Scientists claim to have broken speed of light - 09/04/07 21:59

I have tons of graduate and undergraduate texts but nothing lower than that.
I'm sure there are plenty of books on amazon or your local bookstore or library that are written with as little math as possible and expose the "weirdness". Or you can just google "quantum mechanics weird" and see what you get!

Re: Scientists claim to have broken speed of light - 09/06/07 23:33

I command thee wise guru creator of humans to provide us blind minions the answers on our questions in this forum! For I have no more patience left to wait for the discovery of that what you have hidden for our eyes, ears and soul!

... and now we wait...

Re: Scientists claim to have broken speed of light - 09/07/07 17:59

Quote:

since you aren't aware of where it really is then in practice it's still just at one place

Nope , there is subtle difference

Suppose that you have a bouncing ball inside a box

You take a snap at some time intervals : t1,t2,t3.....tn
You plot the positions of the ball : p1,p2,p3....pn and you connect the points
You get a "path"
Consequently you can predict the position of the ball

Suppose you have an electron , inside a box
You dont get any "path" rather a sort of probability distribution

In other words

Suppose that at time tn the ball is in Pn
You repeat the measuring a fraction of time later : tn + dt

No real object can exceed the speed of light, consequently at time tn + dt the ball must be inside a sphere with center in Pn and radius <= c*dt
You measure and you find the ball inside the sphere

Again , repeat the test with an electron

You can find the electron even outside the sphere

What conclusion can be drawn ?

Either the electron can travel at a speed higher than the speed of light or :

If you dont "see" the electron , the electron is a wave.
It is everywhere inside the box
If you try to spot the electron, you make it turn( collapse) into a small ball

It seems absurd but nobody has still found a better explanation

Re: Scientists claim to have broken speed of light - 09/07/07 18:35

Google "Schrodinger's Cat" for more on this odd, but true, Quantum phenomena.

Re: Scientists claim to have broken speed of light - 09/07/07 18:44

Yes, "Schrodinger's Cat" even though this paradox has been greatly exagerated as you said yourself :
"I would have been happier if they had stuck to real science... that's weird enouh without having to invoke spirits! "

Actually a cat remains a cat , it is not everywhere, the collapse of the wave form being implicit in the "cat" itself same as in any other "real" object

Even some real objects have a sort of "double face "
There are some materials which normaly are in a fluid and non magnetic state
but if you touch them they turn in a solid and magnetic state
The magnetism must be already "hidden" somewhere

The real mistery is the " non locality " rather than the double state wave \ particle
If you splits the wave into two parts they keep behaving same as they were one only wave
Posted By: ICEman

Re: Scientists claim to have broken speed of light - 09/30/07 17:59

Someone let me know when they have a practical application for this faster than light ability.
© 2024 lite-C Forums