Artificial cromoson

Posted By: AlbertoT

Artificial cromoson - 10/07/07 09:58

Hello

Craig Venter ,the scientist who mapped the cromoson, has created the first artificial cromoson
Its name is Mycoplasma and it is made of 381 genes
If injected in a cell, which has been previously emptied of its original genome, the artificial genome can drive the evolution and the reproduction of the cell
In practice : artificial life
Posted By: Lukas

Re: Artificial cromoson - 10/07/07 10:48

Quote:

If injected in a cell...

Quote:

The cell was there before and hadn't been created by him, wasn't it? So it isn't artificial life, it's just manipulatd life
Posted By: Damocles

Re: Artificial cromoson - 10/07/07 10:57

A dog is so to say also artificial life.

Humans manipulated the wulf-genome by selectivly breeding wulfs, to
create the dog-races.

Direct genetic manipulation is just a variation this old technique
to alter genes.

If you can create a living cell, purely by manipulating
non-organic molucules (no parts that are taken from cells)
then you created artificial life.

Re: Artificial cromoson - 10/07/07 12:06

Quote:

The cell was there before and hadn't been created by him, wasn't it? So it isn't artificial life, it's just manipulatd life

No because the cell and the cromosone themselves are not alive, while the combination is
Not to mention that if you can create a cromoson in lab than you could create also a cell, if not now, for sure in a next future

Moreover it is not a simple genetic modifications
The cromosons of dogs and wolf are 99% similar but this one is completely new.
Posted By: Shadow969

Re: Artificial cromoson - 10/07/07 12:18

cromoson = chromosome?

Re: Artificial cromoson - 10/07/07 12:39

guess it
Posted By: Matt_Aufderheide

Re: Artificial cromoson - 10/07/07 19:08

Quote:

If this story is true then this is pretty cool. Now I expect giant mutant dinosaurs any day...
Posted By: ICEman

Re: Artificial cromoson - 10/08/07 01:47

They're not gonna stop until it messes around and comes to that, Matt.

I thought most Dinosaurs were already giant though.. I shudder to imagine a further gigantic rendition of a Tyrannosaurus Rex.. although it would probably run like a diabetic fat man .. even slow than the normal sized one .
Posted By: zazang

Re: Artificial cromoson - 10/08/07 03:03

The next step could be that they inject these genomes of a serial killer
into a gun...and the resulting "gun specie" will hop on it's butt and do what it likes best
Posted By: Inestical

Re: Artificial cromoson - 10/08/07 09:14

sounds cool. Clone wars are not far away anymore (feel the force, Luuuuke...)

Can the author of this thread keep us posted about any changes of the situation of teh chromosome?
Posted By: PHeMoX

Re: Artificial cromoson - 10/08/07 11:00

Quote:

Quote:

If this story is true then this is pretty cool. Now I expect giant mutant dinosaurs any day...

Some 20 years ago they predicted dinosaurs would be possible to create within 80 years... Perhaps they weren't far off,

Cheers
Posted By: ICEman

Re: Artificial cromoson - 10/08/07 15:49

So.. what I'm interested in.. is what kind of like his chromosome creates..

If I'm not mistaken, though I probably am.. been a while since I was in a biology class but.. humans dont have 381 pairs of gene code..

Re: Artificial cromoson - 10/09/07 17:35

A chromosome made of 381 genes, not 381 chromosomes !
The DNA of the most simple form of life is made of 500+ genes thus Mycoplasma is really a brand new living entity, not just a mutation
Some part of the chromosome are in any case taken ( or copied ) by natural micro organisms
About the application
Craig Venter is researching an efficent system to turn C02 into 02
in practice, a super "cleaner "
Posted By: Joozey

Re: Artificial cromoson - 10/09/07 18:43

and that leaves C? This carbon particle forms the fuel of the entity then? Does it convert carbon in something else or does it use carbon for splitting itself or so? Does this cell actually split at all?

Re: Artificial cromoson - 10/09/07 19:04

well I dont know these details
The new chromosone has not been yet injected in the cell so it is not yet proved that it can reproduce itself and that it can perform the task for what has been created
However scientists dont doubt that it is just a matter of time
we will see.
If the new artificial micro organism should also be able to evolve, by itself,in a more sophisticated micro organism, suitable , for example, to survive in a tougher enviromental condition than it would be hard, in my opinion, to claim that a creator is really needed
Posted By: Joozey

Re: Artificial cromoson - 10/11/07 02:27

Well sure a creator is needed to create the first chromosome, and these strings of DNA keep the same when the cell multiplies so the source code of all chromosomes is exactly the same as the original one and property of the creator

In a not so distant future chromosomes appear for the judge because of illegal copy of copyrighted material

bad joke.
© 2024 lite-C Forums