does god _still_ exist? when did god die?

Posted By: broozar

does god _still_ exist? when did god die? - 06/29/08 20:59

ok, let's assume a greater being created our existence. by "existence" i leave it to your imagination if he/she/it created either our planet, the course of time, life, conscience, the universe, or whatever. this is not about creation myths and beliefs.

1. assuming someone, or something, created us in a certain way. what makes us/you sure that he/she/it is still alive?
2. is it important to you that he/she/it is still alive?
3. do you rather believe that God's spirit lives on in everything that surrounds us, but god itself is dead?
4. can gods die?
5. can God (he/she/it) die?
6. assuming that God is the spark that set the universe into existence, is it possible that the conversion from energy to matter is the creation itself (big bang) and thus God sacrificed himself to create the universe?
7. assuming 6 is true, will god resurrect when the universe collapes into a single point?

as this is all strongly hypothetical, i want you to express your thoughts and feelings about those questions. there is no scientific proof, nor will there be, for those. but i am curious whyt you think about it.
Posted By: NITRO777

Re: does god _still_ exist? when did god die? - 07/17/08 02:52

I think it would be convenient if God didnt exist so that we could get away with our sins, but I think it is more apt to say that we are dead, rather than God...

You seem to think that none-existence and death are synonymous. In that view, all matter is alive because of the fact that it exists.

Quote:
1. assuming someone, or something, created us in a certain way. what makes us/you sure that he/she/it is still alive?
God talks to me in my soul, I feel bad for anyone whom He does not speak to.

Quote:
Sure, it is vitally important to me because God is the hope of my everyday struggle, if God doesnt exist then I only have myself to rely on.

Quote:
do you rather believe that God's spirit lives on in everything that surrounds us, but god itself is dead?
I dont know, thats kind of strange. I sort of see matter as something that is under my control, I dont see God's spirit being deposited in something I can bend or break for my own uses.

Quote:
4. can gods die?
Goes back to the definition of death, death is not non-existence. Can gods become non-existent? No, if God is the origination of matter, and matter cannot be created nor destroyed, then certainly the origination of matter cannot be destroyed.

Quote:
Simple answer. No. God is the reason for existence, you cannot have the original cause of existence become non-existent. It doesnt make sense.

Quote:
assuming that God is the spark that set the universe into existence, is it possible that the conversion from energy to matter is the creation itself (big bang) and thus God sacrificed himself to create the universe?
That makes no sense to me.

Quote:
7. assuming 6 is true, will god resurrect when the universe collapes into a single point?
This question is exponentially more confusing than the previous one.

Cool ideas, but only if you dont think too much of them, sort of like an x-men comic. grin

I think fundamentally your questions return to the comcept of infinity. We understand brith and death in the light of beginning and end, beginning and end are part of the continuum of time. Death is meaningless when there is no cessation. God live in the eternal past and the eternal future, so He never came into existence, because existence presupposed that there was ever not God. existence is meaningless without the means to bring things into existence, and God is that original cause.
Posted By: tD_Datura_v

Re: does god _still_ exist? when did god die? - 07/17/08 09:12

weak expressions:
"A universe is like a gas bubble in a bathtub."

"In a sense, the more dense ~material1 might have just expanded, and the result may have been a bubble of less dense, lightly differing material1.
In this regard, the material1 might not have simply popped into existence."
"~material1 might be referred here lazily as soup, and if preferred, it can be considered a timeless, natural brew, free from cooks of higher consciousness and cyclic chicken-egg games."

"If gods created humanity, it seems a shame somewhat, that such deities can not perish with their flawed manifestations."

Quote:
I think it is more apt to say that we are dead

Not that it matters really, but I can agree with that.

Quote:
rather than God...

Perhaps, a god ~dies when there is not one left to remember and praise its name.
Posted By: Shadow969

Re: does god _still_ exist? when did god die? - 07/17/08 09:45

intresting points

for me god is not a creator, but a spirit powered by peoples faith, so that influences my answers

- my faith in god. the god exists untill someone trusts in it

- yes, sometimes faith in god helps me

3. do you rather believe that God's spirit lives on in everything that surrounds us, but god itself is dead?
-no, if god's spirit lives - god is alive

4. can gods die?
- why not?

- same as fourth point

6. assuming that God is the spark that set the universe into existence, is it possible that the conversion from energy to matter is the creation itself (big bang) and thus God sacrificed himself to create the universe?
- maybe. you can't prove that is is right or wrong, but it makes sense to me, although it contradicts my understanding of god

- it may happen, but i don't believe in it.
Posted By: jcl

Re: does god _still_ exist? when did god die? - 07/17/08 09:53

Let me also try some answers as this indeed touches infinity:

Originally Posted By: broozar

We can not be sure, but it's likely. A being that created us must be very powerful. If it died, then only by its own decision. It is unlikely that such a being died for natural causes.

Contrary to popular belief, hearing God talking in your head is not necessarily a proof that God is still alive. It could also be a hint that you should see a doctor.

Quote:

Certainly. We often tend to believe that something is not what it seems, but we hardly ever have proof. If God still existed, then our world would not be what it seems, but were controlled by a hidden being behind the stage. That would be nice to know.

Quote:
4. can gods die?

Sure. God is defined as omnipotent, so he can do everything, including die.

Quote:

No, the conversion from energy to matter could not have been the creation itself. Conversion from energy to matter happened about 380,000 years _after_ the big bang and is well understood, so it leaves no space for supernatural events.
Posted By: Vadim647

Re: does god _still_ exist? when did god die? - 07/17/08 17:13

I totally agree with TNT's words.
Saying about conversions, all people have different mind about it.
Some people believe that universe will collapse after LHC being launced smile
(I remember that site with timer :P)
Posted By: flits

Re: does god _still_ exist? when did god die? - 07/17/08 17:57

i gues god can die if he/she/it exist

like if you create a game on a computer, you let run the game and make sure its running for more then 100 years whitout care
before the hundred years are over you die but the game still exist
the players are caring about you but you already died but they dont know about you
but they feel that they have been programd to do somthing so they do

another point is that its made up in our mind

so if everyone dont know god, god dies because nobody knows it
the same is white the devil
only i think that devil is the onther side of god so if nobody knows the devil god while die because the devil dieded

srry for my bad english i hope you get my point of view
Posted By: sebcrea

Re: does god _still_ exist? when did god die? - 07/17/08 18:59

If there is a God I don't think he would care about our believes. Doesn't he have some freetime just leaning back and chill, no of course not he is just waiting for our ridicoules prayers. I believe in the universe seeing it, I don't know adds alot of credibility.

So if there is a God and he still lives, why would he care about a little planet with creatures on it, seems to me that the fantasy of a father figure in the sky is just one more arrogant attempt to make us special because we are created out of someones will. Nice fantasy but the reality is not Gods creation, he will not help you count on close people and yourself.

How come if someone is talking about God people say that can be and if he is talking about aliens and Ufo's people say he's nuts.

It's our fantasy and it will stay, someone mentioned games here thats what we are doing God hasn't hepled me create some content by now. The problem with religion is that most of them have a allmighty God who is not good at handling money.

I say I don't know what created this universe, the religious people make up stories thats how it works. So is God still alive the universe is still there so he is alive but only if God is the universe.

Re: does god _still_ exist? when did god die? - 07/17/08 21:16

maybe it's time to answer my own questions...

about 1., i'm not sure at all, nor do i know. but...
2. ..it's not important to me. all i know about god comes from stories that are some thousands of years old. stories that include christ, his teachings and beliefs. christ is some kind of archetype about how mankind could be, so i care about his actions, his teachings, his view on the world. i do not know, neither does it increase my respect for christ, if he had godlike powers or was god's son. it's his deeds that make him some kind of guide.
furthermore, it makes me more aware of myself. i am solely responsible for my actions, noone is going to forgive me anything if i fold my hands.
3. i think that's likely, it's like our own life: we live on in the genes of our children, in the works we created on earth, on the ideas we thought, in the hearts we moved.
4. i suppose so
5. question should be, why can't he? if something can't die, it's not alive at all. is god alive? what's life anyway?
6. i like this picture. it makes god the creator of our universe, but explains things like evolution, our responsibility on earth etc.
7. assuming that the universe will collaps one day... unlikely. but it's a nice picture, too. the eternal circle of like is finally completed and starts anew...

i agree on sebcrea's "how could we be so arrogant to believe that god still cares about us personally".

Re: does god _still_ exist? when did god die? - 07/18/08 09:41

If the root is an assumption, why should the observer follow to a place of certainty, and find sureness?
A simple formal answer for that question might be: "NO."
The assumption doesn't seem to override all other elements, and the result still appears to be nearly nil in most directions.
An answer might be "Mostly NO, unless a relevant concept should be slain in minds."
Believing that isn't a requirement here, so an answer might be "NO, for the moment."
4. can gods die?
Is this (still) an imagination exercise?
For that, try: "If works of fiction are to be enjoyed, ...SURE."
This looks somewhat like a repeat.
For god's sake, are separate answers still ~needed for polytheists and monotheists?
"DITTO."
"NO, like a grand majority of whatnots, it's completely impossible, and particularly when the root is not an assumption."
7. assuming 6 is true, will god resurrect when the universe collapses into a single point?
"YES, given the solid assumption base, in the spirit of fair conversational play, that is almost a certainty."

Quote:
i want you to express your thoughts and feelings about those questions.

Please jest no further. I don't have any thoughts and feelings of my own, I must simulate and borrow those of others.

I like some of what sebcrea posted also. (Yes, seriously.)

Posted By: PHeMoX

Re: does god _still_ exist? when did god die? - 07/18/08 09:49

Quote:
all i know about god comes from stories that are some thousands of years old.

Maybe more like hundreds of years old as many things are likely to have been revised and changed over time as things must have been outdated.

Quote:
i agree on sebcrea's "how could we be so arrogant to believe that god still cares about us personally".

I don't mean to be rude, but it's hard not to be when it comes to this subject, so for that I apologize in advance. When I'm honest I think it's even more arrogant to blindly assume there must be something like God and therefore demand all kinds of laws to be in effect because of it. From the general hate towards gay people (I'm not gay myself, but it doesn't make sense to be actively against it either) to abortion, all in all pretty insane what gets declared in name of a God nobody has ever seen.

Quote:

Even when we really were created then there's no reason to assume that being 'must' still be alive in my opinion. Perhaps Gods can die as well, as I don't think there have been events that could be descrived as divine intervention by a God. So while in theory it is possible that he or she is not dead, I don't think it's actively interested in 'us' anymore if it still is alive.

Quote:

No, I have my reasons not to believe in God, it could however become important when I would find strong evidence that totally contradicts my ideas on God.

Quote:

Difficult to say as there's a difference between the 'abstract' God idea of a being that's everywhere and nowhere at the same time and the idea of God as an actual supernatural being.
I think the abstract God idea has more truth to it though.

Quote:

4. can gods die?

According to their definition they should be able to, but in reality it remains to be seen if anything ever included in the definition of God makes sense when it comes to the actual 'being'.

Quote:

Same as above, there's no difference between the Christian God or the bunch of Hindu Gods in my perception.

Quote:

I don't think so.

Quote:

No, probably not. But I mostly believe this is not possible because there's little to nothing known about what God exactly is. Perhaps 'God' was simply an electrical interference that caused the Big Bang and set everything in motion, I don't know. It may sound funny, but if you go with the books "God" seem to be able to be anything from a person to a ray of light, right?
Posted By: Joozey

Re: does god _still_ exist? when did god die? - 07/18/08 10:20

Nothing, as there is not even a proof whether or not he/she/it exists other than your scope saying so.

Not at all. If the being is dead, we are still alive. If the being is still alive, then he wont reveal himself to us for whatever his reasons are anyway. Our defined lifes will go on, and we should follow the path he drew, as we have always done.

No, I don't. There would be no point in that. A spirit of someone that died and trapped on earth is there for a reason, like watching over someone while not be able to show themselves (though some tend to try). God is already doing that for everyone. What would his spirit be different to what he is now?

4. can gods die?
As stated earlier, we made up the Gods with our fantasy, and thus they can "die" if nobody knows about them anymore. But it turns out to be more of a question what the definition of "dead" is here in the context.

Perhaps. At least it would explain why he didn't visited us in the last hundred years, yet he is mentioned in nearly every religion on earth. But I rather believe in a different theory as long as nothing is proven.

This has been answered by others.

As stated by others, 6 is not true.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: does god _still_ exist? when did god die? - 07/18/08 10:29

1. 2. 3. 4. 5. 6. 7. - it's your god/s (so decide yourself).

PS: my god/s is/are complete out of imagination and there exists more(or less?) than time/space.

Re: does god _still_ exist? when did god die? - 07/18/08 10:32

::deleted::
reason=off topic

Posted By: AlbertoT

Re: does god _still_ exist? when did god die? - 07/18/08 19:03

The claim " conversion from energy to matter" is not 100 % correct even though it is widely used also in serious scientific publication
Matter ( or better mass) and energy are the same stuff
They are , so to speak,the two sides of the same coin
This is the true meaning of the famous equation E = M*C^2

Moreover Quantum Physics has completly revised our concept of vacuum which was normaly undestood as synonimous with "nothing"
Consequently also the term "creation" must be revised

Suppose that you measure the electro magnetic field in volume V1 over a time T1
V1 and T1 are basically the dimension and the response time of your measuring instrumnet
You find E1 = 0 and B1 = 0
Now you try again using a more sophisticated instrument with V2 << V1 and T2 << T1
you find E2 != 0 and B2 != 0
You come to the conclusion that the electromagnetic field was not null rather the sensitivity of the instrument was too poor to measure it
Nevertheless common sense and classic physics assume that it makes sense to speak of a true " null field "
Quantum physics disagree
The field is never null rather it is " fast changing "
This is valid in general , not only for the electromagnetic field

Consequently what you call " vacuum " is actually a region of space full of energy
Since energy and mass are equivalent items than vacuum is also full of "matter"

The existence of the so called " virtual particles and anti particles " has been proved beyond any reasonable doubt
The term " virtual " may be deceiving
Acually they are "real" particles the only difference with the normal matter, being the life span which is very short

A reasonable but still unproven theory is therefore the following

" The creation(s) was(were) due to quantistic instability (ies) of vacuum "

If this theory is true , obviouly there is a little room left for a personal or impersonal God

Re: does god _still_ exist? when did god die? - 07/19/08 02:30

Quote:
Now you try again using a more sophisticated instrument

Quote:
You come to the conclusion that the electromagnetic field was not null rather the sensitivity of the instrument was too poor to measure it

Of course, the results of measurement were not polluted by the more sophisticated measuring instrument.
Certainly, measurements with the more sophisticated instrument, were taken again ~soon after the first measurements, and not much, much later.
Quote:
The field is never null, rather it is "fast changing".

(Hm, measurements now and later should be consistent then?)
Absolutely, always and never, with certainty, indeed.

Quote:
Consequently what you call "vacuum" is actually a region of space full of energy

This is true, with and without the use of sophisticated instruments to measure this energy, correct?
The use of full here implies that there is more energy than non-energy in a "vacuum"?

Quote:
Since energy and mass are equivalent items than vacuum is also full of "matter"

What is meant by "matter" here?
Quote:

That explains the use of two or more separate terms and the relationship to famous, supposedly significant, frequently tossed about equations.

Some might say that I am out of my depth, but actually I have no depth, and truly, when depth is a reasonably rooted consideration, it is yours alone (to delve and fall into).

Quote:
The creation(s) was(were) due to quantistic instability (ies) of vacuum
If this theory is true , obviouly there is a little room left for a personal or impersonal God

So, the source of creation for the detestable human condition is now pinned, and "vacuum" will be held responsible?
Actually, not only is that good news, it is an inspiration when considering solutions.
Many thanks.
smile

Re: does god _still_ exist? when did god die? - 07/19/08 11:20

Quote:

The use of full here implies that there is more energy than non-energy in a "vacuum"?

It means that vacuum is not synonimous with nothing

Quote:

What is meant by "matter" here?

It means mass
I used the "... " since matter is not a scientific term even if it is often used as synonimous with mass

Quote:

That explains the use of two or more separate terms.

It is right to use two separate terms for mass (matter) and energy but its wrong to suppose that they are two separate entities

Claiming that God ( energy ) sacrificed himself to create the universe ( matter )is not acceptable neither from a religious nor from a scientific point of view

Our intuition and classic physics before the Einstein's revolution assumed that energy and mass ( matter) were two separate items but they are not

This is a common misconception of the equation

Energy and mass are the two sides of the same coin, it depends which side you are looking at
They alwayes get along in the ratio : C^2

Posted By: mpdeveloper_B

Re: does god _still_ exist? when did god die? - 07/21/08 17:12

Meh, saw this thread and decided to reply (once), it's possible this is all I will say in this thread. laugh

Simply put, evidence. I refuse to believe that everything that happened in the universe, and what still happens now, all became because of chance. In the immortal words of Albert Einstein "God does not play dice.". There are facts everywhere that are evidence of God's existance.

Yup. God helps me everyday, when I am down he comforts me, when I need help he provides. In my life I have been shown evidence of God's existance and it is very important that he exists. I also believe that all things are made OF God, not just created by God, so if he did not exist....well, neither would anything in our universe.

The question contradicts itself, if God lives in all things, then his existence is definate.

4. can gods die?

I will answer these two together, being that God is the only God:
No, simply put. The bible states that "Heaven and earth will pass away but my words will never pass away" (Mat 23:35), it also says "In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God"(John 1:1), simply speaking God is his word, so based on those two statements, God's word will never die and neither will he.

Ummm......what? When God walked into our dimension, it's what caused the "Big Bang", it was creation, why would it be sacrifice?

Assuming 6 is false, this question is irrelevant.

Re: does god _still_ exist? when did god die? - 07/21/08 19:51

Quote:

The claim " conversion from energy to matter" is not 100 % correct even though it is widely used also in serious scientific publication
They are , so to speak,the two sides of the same coin
This is the true meaning of the famous equation E = M*C^2

I do not disagree with you, but it depends a bit on your view whether or not they are really similar... I think the coin analogy is striking, as one side of a coin usually is not 100% the same as the other, even though they both are part of the same object. I think that's also exactly the case with E = M*C^2.

Cheers

Re: does god _still_ exist? when did god die? - 07/21/08 19:54

Quote:

In the immortal words of Albert Einstein "God does not play dice.". There are facts everywhere that are evidence of God's existance.

Dont quote Einstein...he was an atheist wink

Re: does god _still_ exist? when did god die? - 07/21/08 20:59

Are you sure einstein wasn't an agnost instead of an atheďst?

Re: does god _still_ exist? when did god die? - 07/21/08 22:06

finally, someone found the word i was searching for the whole time, thanks Joozey.

agnosticism - ignosticism.

what consequence does the existence of a god / the nonexistence of a god have? that's a good summary of all the questions i wanted you to answer. for me, it is not important if he exists, i try to follow his ( = god's? christ's?) rules nevertheless because they are mostly my own perusuation and i think they could turn the world into a better place. i call myself a christian and the church has always had some place in my life, though i haven't shown up there too regularly, maybe once in a month.

finally, one more question: do you have to believe in god to be a good christian?
Posted By: Shadow969

Re: does god _still_ exist? when did god die? - 07/21/08 22:26

imo yes. but it's not required to be a good person

Re: does god _still_ exist? when did god die? - 07/21/08 22:56

Originally Posted By: AlbertoT
Quote:

In the immortal words of Albert Einstein "God does not play dice.". There are facts everywhere that are evidence of God's existance.

Dont quote Einstein...he was an atheist wink

still makes a good quote, I like Einstein smile

and actually that depends on what facts you look at, a few of his conversations supported the "Einstein believes in God" theory. I'm not sure either is correct, but whatever. :P
Posted By: NITRO777

Re: does god _still_ exist? when did god die? - 07/21/08 22:57

Quote:
finally, one more question: do you have to believe in god to be a good christian?
Wow! You are confused!

Re: does god _still_ exist? when did god die? - 07/21/08 23:03

Erm...the meaning of the word is "Followers of Christ"...Jesus was God in the flesh, so....yes you do have to believe in him to be a christian in the first place.

Re: does god _still_ exist? when did god die? - 07/22/08 00:20

Originally Posted By: mpdeveloper_B

Erm...the meaning of the word is "Followers of Christ"...Jesus was God in the flesh, so....yes you do have to believe in him to be a christian in the first place.

Actually that depends on where you live... being a Christian in Europe can also mean that you do not believe in Jesus Christ. Yeah, I agree that it's a bit funny when you look at where the word Christianity comes from, but it's true... On the other hands it's a bit funny to me how you have to believe in Christ to be a real Christian in the eyes of American Christians. As if such a condition makes sense regardless of whether or not Jesus existed or not smile ,

Quote:

and actually that depends on what facts you look at, a few of his conversations supported the "Einstein believes in God" theory.

If you look deeper into it then you will find that Einstein was actually really an atheist, and a pretty convinced one for that, but he wasn't close minded to the subject. The confusion about what he believed comes from how he thought about terms like religion, God, atheism, and agnosticism and also the church and press that wanted people to believe that Einstein was a religious person.

His famous quote 'God does not play with dice' has very little to do with actually believing in God, but more so it was an analogy people would easily understand for what he meant to say in that context. It's disturbing to see how often it gets ripped out of context, even when Einstein was still alive. In fact, there should be a quote on what he said about people abusing that particular quote and others, which quite clearly shows he's an atheist and has been consistent in his beliefs all his life.

Here;
Quote:

On 22 March 1954 a self-made man sent Einstein in Princeton a long handwritten letter-four closely packed pages in English. The correspondent despaired that there were so few people like Einstein who had the courage to speak out, and he wondered if it would not be best to return the world to the animals. Saying "I presume you would like to know who I am," he went on to tell in detail how he had come from Italy to the United States at the age of nine, arriving in bitter cold weather, as a result of which his sisters died while he barely survived; how after six months of schooling he went to work at age ten; how at age seventeen he went to Evening School; and so on, so that now he had a regular job as an experimental machinist, had a spare-time business of his own, and had some patents to his credit. He declared himself an atheist. He said that real education came from reading books. He cited an article about Einstein's religious beliefs and expressed doubts as to the article's accuracy. He was irreverent about various aspects of formal religion, speaking about the millions of people who prayed to God in many languages, and remarking that God must have an enormous clerical staff to keep track of all their sins. And he ended with a long discussion of the social and political systems of Italy and the United States that it would take too long to describe here. He also enclosed a check for Einstein to give to charity.

On 24 March 1954 Einstein answered in English as follows:

I get hundreds and hundreds of letters but seldom one so interesting as yours. I believe that your opinions about our society are quite reasonable.

It was, of course, a lie what you read about my religious convictions, a lie which is being systematically repeated. I do not believe in a personal God and I have never denied this but have expressed it clearly. If something is in me which can be called religious then it is the unbounded admiration for the structure of the world so far as our science can reveal it.

I have no possibility to bring the money you sent me to the appropriate receiver. I return it therefore in recognition of your good heart and intention. Your letter shows me also that wisdom is not a product of schooling but of the lifelong attempt to acquire it.

And here:

Quote:

There is in the Einstein Archives a letter dated 5 August 1927 from a banker in Colorado to Einstein in Berlin. Since it begins "Several months ago I wrote you as follows," one may assume that Einstein had not yet answered. The banker remarked that most scientists and the like had given up the idea of God as a bearded, benevolent father figure surrounded by angels, although many sincere people worship and revere such a God. The question of God had arisen in the course of a discussion in a literary group, and some of the members decided to ask eminent men to send their views in a form that would be suitable for publication. He added that some twenty-four Nobel Prize winners had already responded, and he hoped that Einstein would too.

On the letter, Einstein wrote the following in German. It may or may not have been sent:

I cannot conceive of a personal God who would directly influence the actions of individuals, or would directly sit in judgment on creatures of his own creation. I cannot do this in spite of the fact that mechanistic causality has, to a certain extent, been placed in doubt by modern science.

My religiosity consists in a humble admiration of the infinitely superior spirit that reveals itself in the little that we, with our weak and transitory understanding, can comprehend of reality. Morality is of the highest importance-but for us, not for God.

I especially like this part; Morality is of the highest importance-but for us, not for God.

Cheers

Re: does god _still_ exist? when did god die? - 07/22/08 01:36

Originally Posted By: PHeMoX
Originally Posted By: mpdeveloper_B

Actually that depends on where you live... being a Christian in Europe can also mean that you do not believe in Jesus Christ. Yeah, I agree that it's a bit funny when you look at where the word Christianity comes from, but it's true... On the other hands it's a bit funny to me how you have to believe in Christ to be a real Christian in the eyes of American Christians. As if such a condition makes sense regardless of whether or not Jesus existed or not smile ,

Quote:

and actually that depends on what facts you look at, a few of his conversations supported the "Einstein believes in God" theory.

If you look deeper into it then you will find that Einstein was actually really an atheist, and a pretty convinced one for that, but he wasn't close minded to the subject. The confusion about what he believed comes from how he thought about terms like religion, God, atheism, and agnosticism and also the church and press that wanted people to believe that Einstein was a religious person.

His famous quote 'God does not play with dice' has very little to do with actually believing in God, but more so it was an analogy people would easily understand for what he meant to say in that context. It's disturbing to see how often it gets ripped out of context, even when Einstein was still alive. In fact, there should be a quote on what he said about people abusing that particular quote and others, which quite clearly shows he's an atheist and has been consistent in his beliefs all his life.

Here;
Quote:

On 22 March 1954 a self-made man sent Einstein in Princeton a long handwritten letter-four closely packed pages in English. The correspondent despaired that there were so few people like Einstein who had the courage to speak out, and he wondered if it would not be best to return the world to the animals. Saying "I presume you would like to know who I am," he went on to tell in detail how he had come from Italy to the United States at the age of nine, arriving in bitter cold weather, as a result of which his sisters died while he barely survived; how after six months of schooling he went to work at age ten; how at age seventeen he went to Evening School; and so on, so that now he had a regular job as an experimental machinist, had a spare-time business of his own, and had some patents to his credit. He declared himself an atheist. He said that real education came from reading books. He cited an article about Einstein's religious beliefs and expressed doubts as to the article's accuracy. He was irreverent about various aspects of formal religion, speaking about the millions of people who prayed to God in many languages, and remarking that God must have an enormous clerical staff to keep track of all their sins. And he ended with a long discussion of the social and political systems of Italy and the United States that it would take too long to describe here. He also enclosed a check for Einstein to give to charity.

On 24 March 1954 Einstein answered in English as follows:

I get hundreds and hundreds of letters but seldom one so interesting as yours. I believe that your opinions about our society are quite reasonable.

It was, of course, a lie what you read about my religious convictions, a lie which is being systematically repeated. I do not believe in a personal God and I have never denied this but have expressed it clearly. If something is in me which can be called religious then it is the unbounded admiration for the structure of the world so far as our science can reveal it.

I have no possibility to bring the money you sent me to the appropriate receiver. I return it therefore in recognition of your good heart and intention. Your letter shows me also that wisdom is not a product of schooling but of the lifelong attempt to acquire it.

And here:

Quote:

There is in the Einstein Archives a letter dated 5 August 1927 from a banker in Colorado to Einstein in Berlin. Since it begins "Several months ago I wrote you as follows," one may assume that Einstein had not yet answered. The banker remarked that most scientists and the like had given up the idea of God as a bearded, benevolent father figure surrounded by angels, although many sincere people worship and revere such a God. The question of God had arisen in the course of a discussion in a literary group, and some of the members decided to ask eminent men to send their views in a form that would be suitable for publication. He added that some twenty-four Nobel Prize winners had already responded, and he hoped that Einstein would too.

On the letter, Einstein wrote the following in German. It may or may not have been sent:

I cannot conceive of a personal God who would directly influence the actions of individuals, or would directly sit in judgment on creatures of his own creation. I cannot do this in spite of the fact that mechanistic causality has, to a certain extent, been placed in doubt by modern science.

My religiosity consists in a humble admiration of the infinitely superior spirit that reveals itself in the little that we, with our weak and transitory understanding, can comprehend of reality. Morality is of the highest importance-but for us, not for God.

I especially like this part; Morality is of the highest importance-but for us, not for God.

Cheers

@Christianity Statement: That would make it false christianity. Christianity began from the disciples of Jesus, it moved on to the rest of the world from there, but if you take Christ out of Christianity, then there is no Christ-likeness, which is the definition of Christianity as I said before. It is not only american Christians who believe this, it started with the roots of Christianity. Any other alternative is false and is actually a mockery of the word. smile As for the existance of Jesus, there are reports from roman officials that prove his existance, such as Pontious Pilate.

@Einstein: he actually was agnostic in his latter years. He did go to several churches in his younger years, but never really professed Judaism nor Christianity, however, when he got older he believed in the existance of God, although it was not the God we christians believe in, he believed in Spinoza's sense of God. Here's a few quotes

"I believe in Spinoza's God who reveals himself in the orderly harmony of what exists, not in a God who concerns himself with fates and actions of human beings."

"In view of such harmony in the cosmos which I, with my limited human mind, am able to recognize, there are yet people who say there is no God. But what really makes me angry is that they quote me for the support of such views."

"I'm not an atheist and I don't think I can call myself a pantheist. We are in the position of a little child entering a huge library filled with books in many languages. The child knows someone must have written those books. It does not know how. It does not understand the languages in which they are written. The child dimly suspects a mysterious order in the arrangements of the books, but doesn't know what it is. That, it seems to me, is the attitude of even the most intelligent human being toward God."

"The fanatical atheists are like slaves who are still feeling the weight of their chains which they have thrown off after hard struggle. They are creatures who – in their grudge against traditional religion as the 'opium of the masses' – cannot hear the music of the spheres."

Re: does god _still_ exist? when did god die? - 07/22/08 07:36

Quote:
@Christianity Statement: That would make it false christianity. Christianity began from the disciples of Jesus, it moved on to the rest of the world from there, but if you take Christ out of Christianity, then there is no Christ-likeness, which is the definition of Christianity as I said before. It is not only american Christians who believe this, it started with the roots of Christianity. Any other alternative is false and is actually a mockery of the word. smile As for the existance of Jesus, there are reports from roman officials that prove his existance, such as Pontious Pilate.

noone, at least not me, doubts christ or his existence, and even more, i believe in him/his teachings as far as they concern me, my relationship to others, hope, love, etc. as soon as they refer to, let's call them, supernatural phenomenons, like being god's own son in flesh and blood, i neither bleieve or disbelive in it, because my narrow human mind cannot prove it nor accept such a statement blindly. that ambivalence does not concern the crucification and the easter events as key elements of christianity.
and, think about it: does christ's teaching lose anything if you take away the wonder working, the god's son thing, etc? no, not a bit.

you are both right concerning the christianity statement. as phemox pointed out, it rather depends on where you live. in europe, churches are almost empty for the all sunday service, but overcrowded at christmas, easter etc. they most probably have forgotten the true meaning of these events, and yes, you could call it false christianity, mpdeveloper_B. nevertheless, i suppose christ himself would be the first to forgive them, because they they haven't found their enlightment yet.

Re: does god _still_ exist? when did god die? - 07/22/08 10:18

Quote:

@Einstein: he actually was agnostic in his latter years. He did go to several churches in his younger years, but never really professed Judaism nor Christianity, however, when he got older he believed in the existance of God, although it was not the God we christians believe in, he believed in Spinoza's sense of God. Here's a few quotes

"I believe in Spinoza's God who reveals himself in the orderly harmony of what exists, not in a God who concerns himself with fates and actions of human beings."

Another one of those quotes out of context actually...

Quote:
Einstein's "belief" in Spinoza's God is one of his most widely quoted statements. But quoted out of context, like so many of these statements, it is misleading at best. It all started when Boston's Cardinal O'Connel attacked Einstein and the General Theory of Relativity and warned the youth that the theory "cloaked the ghastly apparition of atheism" and "befogged speculation, producing universal doubt about God and His creation"(Clark, 1971, 413-414). Einstein had already experienced heavier duty attacks against his theory in the form of anti-Semitic mass meetings in Germany, and he initially ignored the Cardinal's attack. Shortly thereafter though, on April 24, 1929, Rabbi Herbert Goldstein of New York cabled Einstein to ask: "Do you believe in God?"(Sommerfeld, 1949, 103). Einstein's return message is the famous statement: "I believe in Spinoza's God who reveals himself in the orderly harmony of what exists, not in a God who concerns himself with fates and actions of human beings"( 103). The Rabbi, who was intent on defending Einstein against the Cardinal, interpreted Einstein's statement in his own way when writing: "Spinoza, who is called the God-intoxicated man, and who saw God manifest in all nature, certainly could not be called an atheist. Furthermore, Einstein points to a unity. Einstein's theory if carried out to its logical conclusion would bring to mankind a scientific formula for monotheism. He does away with all thought of dualism or pluralism. There can be no room for any aspect of polytheism. This latter thought may have caused the Cardinal to speak out. Let us call a spade a spade"(Clark, 1971, 414). Both the Rabbi and the Cardinal would have done well to note Einstein's remark, of 1921, to Archbishop Davidson in a similar context about science: "It makes no difference. It is purely abstract science"(413).

The American physicist Steven Weinberg (1992), in critiquing Einstein's "Spinoza's God" statement, noted: "But what possible difference does it make to anyone if we use the word 'God' in place of 'order' or 'harmony,' except perhaps to avoid the accusation of having no God?" Weinberg certainly has a valid point, but we should also forgive Einstein for being a product of his times, for his poetic sense, and for his cosmic religious view regarding such things as the order and harmony of the universe.

But what, at bottom, was Einstein's belief? The long answer exists in Einstein's essays on religion and science as given in his Ideas and Opinions (1954), his Autobiographical Notes (1949), and other works. What about a short answer?

In the Summer of 1945, just before the bombs of Hiroshima and Nagasaki, Einstein wrote a short letter stating his position as an atheist (Figure 1). Ensign Guy H. Raner had written Einstein from mid-Pacific requesting a clarification on the beliefs of the world famous scientist (Figure 2). Four years later Raner again wrote Einstein for further clarification and asked "Some people might interpret (your letter) to mean that to a Jesuit priest, anyone not a Roman Catholic is an atheist, and that you are in fact an orthodox Jew, or a Deist, or something else. Did you mean to leave room for such an interpretation, or are you from the viewpoint of the dictionary an atheist; i.e., 'one who disbelieves in the existence of a God, or a Supreme Being'?" Einstein's response is shown in Figure 3.

http://www.skeptically.org/thinkersonreligion/id8.html

http://www.positiveatheism.org/hist/einsci.htm#ONE

Really, Einstein used the terms religion, God and so on rather different than most people do,

Quote:
That would make it false christianity. Christianity began from the disciples of Jesus, it moved on to the rest of the world from there, but if you take Christ out of Christianity, then there is no Christ-likeness, which is the definition of Christianity as I said before.

No, you believe in the what I would call North American definition... apparently taking Christ and the miracle story and creation out of the religion is no issue for people that do not interpret the bible literally as most of the Christians in Europe. Hence the big difference and hence why you think it's false Christianity. smile

Quote:
It is not only american Christians who believe this, it started with the roots of Christianity. Any other alternative is false and is actually a mockery of the word. smile As for the existance of Jesus, there are reports from roman officials that prove his existance, such as Pontious Pilate.

Read up on what Pontious Pilate actually wrote (or do a forum search as I've already explained the problems with Pontious Pilate somewhere), as it doesn't prove that the Jesus of the bible was a historical person at all. In fact, if Jesus really was as special as the bible says he was, then it's rather strange that there aren't far more references to him through time, especially earlier on.

Cheers

Re: does god _still_ exist? when did god die? - 07/22/08 10:57

i fear that this is becoming a does-he-exist-or-not-thread. that was not my intention. discussions about a "scientific" or historical" proof are leading into nowhere, since we can't proove it or proove it wrong, it's a thing of belief, and solely of belief. and, honestly, i don't feel the urge to proof christ's or god's existence, either you believe it, or not. for those who believe, i wanted to know if their faith is jointed to the need of having a (noncorporal?) god image, if their faith requires the idea a living mentor, caretaker, mastermind, or if jesus' living example of how a (hu)man could be would suffice but, as i see it, this question is already taken as an attack on christianity, too bad.

Re: does god _still_ exist? when did god die? - 07/22/08 20:41

Well, actually your initial question was quite different

Basically you asked whether a Spinoza \Einstein's God, can make sense also in the light of modern Physics

I am not a religious guy but it would hard to me to beleive in a non personal God
Phanteism is, in my opinion, a synonimous with atheism

Moreover the equation E = M*C^2 does not claim what you ( and many others ) seem to beleive, as far as I can understand from your post

This is a commmon misconception of the equation

Re: does god _still_ exist? when did god die? - 07/22/08 21:32

i have never said a single word about einstein, i didn't even know about his attitude towards religion. and i wrote, from the very beginning, that this thread was not be seen as a scientific discussion, but a question of belief.

i did not have physics in mind. in fact, i asked these questions myself after reading nietzsche's "thus spoke zarathustra", that's why i wanted to turn it into a more philsosphical discussion, not a discussion about equations, scientific proof, or physics.

moreover, it seems to me that most people think they know everything about einstein by just quoting the famous equation. popular science... well. keep it out of this discussion, please.

Re: does god _still_ exist? when did god die? - 07/23/08 01:57

Quote:
i didn't even know about his attitude towards religion.

So no attempts at self-serving illusions of certainty for events lost and found in the mutable mists of history?

Your reply seems more honest and wise than claims for stances held by a faction not necessarily present to substantiate and update positions. Many speak for the dead, and claim members from the lost faction for their own selfish purposes, but the very same may be the first to refuse stronger claims of membership by that larger of factions.

Supposedly, that is the paraphrased form of the quote.

Re: does god _still_ exist? when did god die? - 07/23/08 19:48

it seems to me that most people think they know everything about einstein by just quoting the famous equation. popular science... well. keep it out of this discussion, please.

Hey ...it was you who asked the question

Quote:

is it possible that the conversion from energy to matter is the creation itself (big bang)..?

Re: does god _still_ exist? when did god die? - 07/23/08 23:06

i have never said a single word about einstein, i didn't even know about his attitude towards religion. and i wrote, from the very beginning, that this thread was not be seen as a scientific discussion, but a question of belief.

Just my curiosity, but why?

Quote:
i did not have physics in mind. in fact, i asked these questions myself after reading nietzsche's "thus spoke zarathustra", that's why i wanted to turn it into a more philsosphical discussion, not a discussion about equations, scientific proof, or physics.

I think that's where it inevitably went wrong. Philosophical discussions are great, but you can't deny scientific knowledge just because you don't like it... In general that's usually why it doesn't make much sense to argue with a religious person, they will deny what we do know and go by pure faith.

Quote:
moreover, it seems to me that most people think they know everything about einstein by just quoting the famous equation. popular science... well. keep it out of this discussion, please.

I agree with Alberto here, you asked the question yourself.. as a non-religious person it's pretty much unavoidable to think about physics and general implications of such a God.

Re: does god _still_ exist? when did god die? - 07/27/08 07:25

Quote:
Philosophical discussions are great, but you can't deny scientific knowledge just because you don't like it...

It seems the term philosophy has different meanings.
I had the impression that the thread was partially weighted in a mental exercise, with bounds which might be atypical from some perspectives.
(Impressions vary, and mine are far too often leagues away from any valued mark.)

If such ~imaginative play was the focus, it might be taken for granted that injections of hard scientific expression can quickly spin the aim of the game amiss.
There may have been a very specific, desired direction, or at least, potentially a number of known unfavorable directions, for what the thread source was seeking, if it was seeking.
(Expiration is preferred for the thread source, but conflict of interest is avoided, unless bad taste is more than sufficient, so that the strain is made ~enjoyable.)

(Where does the first mention of term "Einstein" appear?)

Quote:
I think that's where it inevitably went wrong.

Quote:
In general that's usually why it doesn't make much sense to argue with a religious person, they will deny what we do know and go by pure faith.

(The ~they tend to almost always repeatedly, flow with ill and wrong, in nearly the same cycling ways.
Collusion must be avoided, so there ~they are.
Let it go, or let it and they eat you.)
So, on many sides, as usual, it went wrong with attitudes, lack of understanding, obstructive needs of self (selfishness), bias, accumulated prejudice, embedded malignant stances, etc. ???
(If so, it's good to be included in the party.
Any will do, if the selection carries guilt and feeds opposition, naturally.)

This or that, gods / faith and knowledge / science, here and there, are many mind constructs of a being so lofty it fails at simple unity gains?

:collapsed:

Re: does god _still_ exist? when did god die? - 07/27/08 11:21

It has little to do with my attitude towards religion, I actually am really open minded on the subject and like to discuss whatever other people think about it.

I think to some extent threads like this will not work when 'special' rules are in effect.

Quote:
It seems the term philosophy has different meanings.

I see what you mean, but I made my comment only in context of wondering how a thread like this would be meaningful when science is discarded as if it doesn't exist.

Quote:
This or that, gods / faith and knowledge / science, here and there, are many mind constructs of a being so lofty it fails at simple unity gains?

Yes, but religion never is about uniting anyone... instead it without exception will create a 'us and them' issue, used to keep people in one group under their control. Manipulation everywhere off course, but there's no reason to fear anything when there's no hostile outside, even if that's not actually real, but just a claim.

Re: does god _still_ exist? when did god die? - 07/27/08 15:14

Quote:
It has little to do with my attitude towards religion, I actually am really open minded on the subject and like to discuss whatever other people think about it.

Some / much of the nonsensical garbage spewed under duress, should find no specific target, and for attitudes particularly, there may be far too many to target effectively, without ~revision.

My attitude doesn't exactly sparkle.

Quote:
I think to some extent threads like this will not work when 'special' rules are in effect.

Indeed. There may be evidence for that here, however, the notion may carry less weight, when it is offered by parties which seemingly played a significant role in securing events, which were just prior, termed ~evidence.
1. cake arrives in location periodically.
2. cake is intentionally bumped to the floor repeatedly by the same entities.
3. entities suggest cake is not well placed, and certainly the point is fair somewhat, as it has fallen to the floor again and again.

Quote:
Yes, but religion never is about uniting anyone... instead it without exception will create a 'us and them' issue, used to keep people in one group under their control.

Group some, divide others and maintain power, is it?

Quote:

religion
*attitude is fine, I am actually really open minded on the subject
*like to discuss whatever other people think about it
*religion is never about uniting anyone
*it is used to keep people in one group
*without exception, it will create a 'us and them' issue

No disrespect intended on this vein, but I could almost assume certain apparent contradictions are intentionally provided for enjoyment.
Such an assumption would certainly be biased, in favor of jest and delight, which is my preference indeed.

Quote:
Manipulation everywhere off course,

"In the names of power and greed, divide and conquer, and group as necessary.
When one ~devil becomes tiresome, there should always be another."
"Let them focus on what divides, spreading it back and forth freely, and beyond that, with not much more prompting, they shall further promote division back into itself."

Quote:
but there's no reason to fear anything when there's no hostile outside, even if that's not actually real, but just a claim.

There is a reply to this, but at the moment, it is time to collapse again, so maybe another may offer it better, in my stead.

Re: does god _still_ exist? when did god die? - 07/27/08 15:57

Quote:

religion
*like to discuss whatever other people think about it

No disrespect intended on this vein, but I could almost assume certain apparent contradictions are intentionally provided for enjoyment.
Such an assumption would certainly be biased, in favor of jest and delight, which is my preference indeed.

Mmm, contradicting because you do not think those last three points are valid? Those last three points can be observed, but it takes the perspective of an 'outsider' I guess, as many from within such groups do not see it like this.

Anyways, I'm more interested in the human psychology behind it all, the sometimes (or often, choose your pick wink ) crazy details of religions are like a bonus and can indeed be very entertaining, but at no time I think disrespectful of the people that do believe in these things. That in itself might sound contradictory, but I don't think it is or must be.

Cheers

Re: does god _still_ exist? when did god die? - 07/28/08 11:41

Quote:
Mmm, contradicting because you do not think those last three points are valid?

What? If it was enjoyed, I might find more concern in the validity of ice cream.
If that is a ploy of contrast, an attempt to negate any enjoyment derived from one or more forms of word play (might be intentionally offered contradiction, recently), then maybe enjoyment can be found in that also or alternately.
However, with that extension, perhaps, the semblance to a form of masturbation is needlessly heavy.

item n
Quote:

Indeed, it is fine and dandy, when not an issue...it solves itself. smile
(The attitudes may serve a purpose, and there is nearly an automatic appearance about it, in some cases.)

item n
Quote:

Point, opinion, device or other, for all and that, agreement might be found in proximity of Neverland, and relevancy for this expression might be nearer still.

item n
Quote:

What use is that?
Concerning the use of such ~devices, if that arrangement is satisfactory, where is competition and collaboration placed?

item n
Quote:

"That foolishness is despicable, but consistent."
"Humanity is a them and an us, but 'we' are unity and finality."

Quote:
Those last three points can be observed,

I don't have access to all observers, but yes, some may have claimed points.
However, it is possible that not all such points are taken in groups of three.
(When in Rome...)

Quote:
but it takes the perspective of an 'outsider' I guess,

"Often , I find the collective, but separate, inner perspectives, more palatable."
-some mentalist
Quote:
as many from within such groups do not see it like this.

The interpretation is dependent on the observer(s) and so forth?

Quote:
That in itself might sound contradictory, but I don't think it is or must be.

That might depend on what meaning for contradiction is favored for favor.

Quote:
Anyways, I'm more interested in the human psychology behind it all,

Interest, preoccupation, obsession, whatever floats merrily down the stream, over the falls, off into an abyss, onto another stream, and again...(ah, where's the cap for this)
With no surprise, matters related to frequency, might again, arise.

Actually, if you could spin the cycle out to conclusion, nicely, but briefly, that would be appreciated.
That is assuming a close, would be hollow otherwise, and also, that some find a measure of pleasure, in a form of last word closure.

Some rotten assumptions were just discarded.

(No, there is no similar ring here between religion and anti-religion.)

Why have you done this to broozar's thread?
Where is your respect for others and their spaces?
smile
(Bah, the yellow faces are still without taste, but here they find a suitable place.)

Re: does god _still_ exist? when did god die? - 07/28/08 12:51

Quote:
What? If it was enjoyed, I might find more concern in the validity of ice cream.
If that is a ploy of contrast, an attempt to negate any enjoyment derived from one or more forms of word play (might be intentionally offered contradiction, recently), then maybe enjoyment can be found in that also or alternately.
However, with that extension, perhaps, the semblance to a form of masturbation is needlessly heavy.

I must say you lost me there a bit, but don't bother explaining the joke. wink It's not so much a contrast when you think it's actually irrelevant , but then we simply disagree on that.

Quote:
The attitudes may serve a purpose, and there is nearly an automatic appearance about it, in some cases.

Attitudes always serve a purpose, but there's nothing really all automatic about it, it always remains a choice. Probably sounds slightly contradicting to you as well? smile

Quote:
Why have you done this to broozar's thread?
Where is your respect for others and their spaces?

I beg your pardon, did what? I've asked questions that purposefully or not were left unanswered, but that's okey. I wasn't the thread starter so I don't really care so much in that I demand answers or anything. But I do not see why it must be my fault now that this thread derailed somewhat and seems to be 'dying'. Respect has little to do with this, I don't think I was disrespectful here, unless you think saying the rules don't really work is disrespectful.

Quote:
[*unity*] Point, opinion, device or other, for all and that, agreement might be found in proximity of Neverland, and relevancy for this expression might be nearer still.

Probably true, as you seem to deny that this is observable in just about all religions? Perhaps even literally all religions as it's a fundamental 'tool' keeping people's interest and demanding a form of psychological loyalty to a group.

Quote:
The interpretation is dependent on the observer(s) and so forth?

Not really, but as explained it takes someone without bias to make the correct interpretation. The correct interpretation isn't perhaps as subjective as biased people tend to believe, which is why they are biased after all... but as always when it comes to bias, it's only bias in the eyes of people that disagree.

By the way, perhaps contrary to what you might believe, at no time have I demanded some kind of conformation to what is my own opinion. There is however always a difference between that what can be observed quite objectively and how you turn that into your own opinion.

Quote:
What use is that?
Concerning the use of such ~devices, if that arrangement is satisfactory, where is competition and collaboration placed?

Power, control, money, more power, more control, more money...? Competition and collaboration are definitely part of this, but people within the group usually are encouraged on a psychological level to compete, collaborate and so on. That's how peer pressure and the other psychological 'tools' work, ideally you will need a group to get the best effect.

Cheers
Posted By: msl_manni

Re: does god _still_ exist? when did god die? - 07/28/08 13:32

I would like to throw some petrol in the fire. I dont see the common sense in discussing the exsistence of GOD. We as a delicate creatures, who dont know how they exist in present, trying to understand exsistence of all creations, is a laughable topic.

And why do we need to understand the purpose of our exsistence? And were we created purposefully by a superior form? Or is it a fluke of Evolution? Why do we seek for the word GOD? And who coined the term GOD and what was its purpose?

Till we dont understand wether the humanity needs a GOD or not, there is no use in discussing such topics. I belive that the exsistence of GOD, the term, is purposefully coined throught the evolution period and the existence of humans, for its meagre needs.LOL.

Re: does god _still_ exist? when did god die? - 07/28/08 13:48

I definitely agree, (to some extent, as all this does teach a lot about psychology and culture) it's pointless to discuss a theoretical being of which we know absolutely nothing. At the same time it's the main reason why I do not believe in God at all, but it doesn't change for me that it's interesting to learn what people think of all this that do believe in the existence of God.

But at times it's a somewhat fine line between where my curiosity starts and my respect ends when it comes to the 'making sense' of any religion. It doesn't mean I'm disrespectful to the people, but instead disrespectful to their belief... whether you believe there's a difference between both depends on your own opinion I guess.

Re: does god _still_ exist? when did god die? - 07/29/08 18:17

:deleted:
reason=pointless loop

Re: does god _still_ exist? when did god die? - 07/30/08 00:08

@tD_Datura_v, you know there is a delete button for your post to delete right? I've seen posts like this alot lately from you grin.
Posted By: smitty

Re: does god _still_ exist? when did god die? - 12/11/08 00:55

God has always existed from eternity past. Jesus Christ/God died for our sins and rose from the dead. He is risen! He lives forever!
Posted By: Lukas

Re: does god _still_ exist? when did god die? - 12/11/08 12:45

smitty, why are you grabbing out old threads to say basically the same in each of them? You already severally mentioned that you believe in god. wink

Re: does god _still_ exist? when did god die? - 12/11/08 13:20

Originally Posted By: Lukas
smitty, why are you grabbing out old threads to say basically the same in each of them? You already severally mentioned that you believe in god. wink

( /joke ) He needs the circular conformation of what he believes in by saying he believes in something a lot, but in reality he has mountains of doubts in his search for justification of his beliefs. wink

Cheers

Re: does god _still_ exist? when did god die? - 12/11/08 15:43

Nope, I have no doubts at all concerning the Lord smile I am praising the Lord and proclaiming His Name as all believers are told by Him in His word to do!

Click to reveal..
Psalm 7:17
I will praise the LORD according to his righteousness: and will sing praise to the name of the LORD most high.
Psalm 7:16-17 (in Context) Psalm 7 (Whole Chapter)
Psalm 18:49
Therefore will I give thanks unto thee, O LORD, among the heathen, and sing praises unto thy name.
Psalm 18:48-50 (in Context) Psalm 18 (Whole Chapter)
Psalm 54:6
I will freely sacrifice unto thee: I will praise thy name, O LORD; for it is good.
Psalm 54:5-7 (in Context) Psalm 54 (Whole Chapter)
Psalm 86:12
I will praise thee, O Lord my God, with all my heart: and I will glorify thy name for evermore.
Psalm 86:11-13 (in Context) Psalm 86 (Whole Chapter)
Psalm 92:1
IT IS A GOOD THING TO GIVE THANKS UNTO THE LORD, AND TO SING PRAISES UNTO THY NAME, O MOST HIGH:
Psalm 92:1-3 (in Context) Psalm 92 (Whole Chapter)
Psalm 102:21
To declare the name of the LORD in Zion, and his praise in Jerusalem;
Psalm 102:20-22 (in Context) Psalm 102 (Whole Chapter)
Psalm 106:47
Save us, O LORD our God, and gather us from among the heathen, to give thanks unto thy holy name, and to triumph in thy praise.
Psalm 106:46-48 (in Context) Psalm 106 (Whole Chapter)
Psalm 113:1
Praise ye the LORD. Praise, O ye servants of the LORD, praise the name of the LORD.
Psalm 113:1-3 (in Context) Psalm 113 (Whole Chapter)
Psalm 113:3
From the rising of the sun unto the going down of the same the LORD's name is to be praised.
Psalm 113:2-4 (in Context) Psalm 113 (Whole Chapter)
Psalm 135:1
Praise ye the LORD. Praise ye the name of the LORD; praise him, O ye servants of the LORD.
Psalm 135:1-3 (in Context) Psalm 135 (Whole Chapter)
Psalm 135:3
Praise the LORD; for the LORD is good: sing praises unto his name; for it is pleasant.
Psalm 135:2-4 (in Context) Psalm 135 (Whole Chapter)
Psalm 145:21
My mouth shall speak the praise of the LORD: and let all flesh bless his holy name for ever and ever.
Psalm 145:20-21 (in Context) Psalm 145 (Whole Chapter)
Psalm 148:5
Let them praise the name of the LORD: for he commanded, and they were created.
Psalm 148:4-6 (in Context) Psalm 148 (Whole Chapter)
Psalm 148:13
Let them praise the name of the LORD: for his name alone is excellent; his glory is above the earth and heaven.
Psalm 148:12-14 (in Context) Psalm 148 (Whole Chapter)
Isaiah 12:4
And in that day shall ye say, Praise the LORD, call upon his name, declare his doings among the people, make mention that his name is exalted.
Isaiah 12:3-5 (in Context) Isaiah 12 (Whole Chapter)
Isaiah 25:1
O Lord, thou art my God; I will exalt thee, I will praise thy name; for thou hast done wonderful things; thy counsels of old are faithfulness and truth.
Isaiah 25:1-3 (in Context) Isaiah 25 (Whole Chapter)
Isaiah 42:8
I am the LORD: that is my name: and my glory will I not give to another, neither my praise to graven images.
Isaiah 42:7-9 (in Context) Isaiah 42 (Whole Chapter)

Re: does god _still_ exist? when did god die? - 12/11/08 16:53

smitty, please use [ spoiler][ /spoiler] tags in future when you are posting long bible quotes. I edited your post laugh

btw, I'm no christian (any more) but I think that "god" meant that you should only "proclaim his name" to people who didn't heard of him yetto tell them about him. Today most of the people heard of him and are just annoyed by bible quotes wink

Re: does god _still_ exist? when did god die? - 12/11/08 17:30

You can edit my posts, but you cannot change the fact that God exists, His word is alive, and that what He promises He will do. By the way, I find a lot of stuff posted here annoying too, but since you all are godless and do not fear God or care about how people who love God feel, then I guess that does not matter.

Re: does god _still_ exist? when did god die? - 12/11/08 17:51

Originally Posted By: smitty
You can edit my posts, but you cannot change the fact that God exists, ...

I just wanted to make it better to read. You have to scroll much for your bible quote. The most important part of your post is above the bible quote. That's all why I have edited it.

Re: does god _still_ exist? when did god die? - 12/11/08 17:55

ok, I see now. But you could remove the "Yikes my eyes"

Re: does god _still_ exist? when did god die? - 12/11/08 17:58

The "Yikes my eyes" is alway there to collapse the spoiler. If you don't like it, feel free to remove the spoiler wink

Re: does god _still_ exist? when did god die? - 12/11/08 20:11

ok, I am not familiar with all that stuff. No problem. Thanks. smile
Posted By: Tiles

Re: does god _still_ exist? when did god die? - 12/13/08 12:08

Quote:
but you cannot change the fact that God exists, His word is alive, and that what He promises He will do.

Fact is that no god exists. There is not a single proof pointing in the direction of any goddess. Faith is that a god exist. And that's equal to a fairy tale. You may believe it or not.

Re: does god _still_ exist? when did god die? - 12/13/08 12:42

Tiles, just because I cannot prove that God does not exist, and just because you do not believe He exists and that hell is real, does not mean that I am wrong. The fact is that God does exist and hell is real and one day you and everyone who does not believe will find this out. Sadly if you continue on the path you are on then you will find out too late. I pray you will repent (turn) from your sins and ask Jesus Christ to forgive you and be your personal Savior. Like Julz said, you cannot just say it, you have to mean it, because God knows your heart.

Re: does god _still_ exist? when did god die? - 12/13/08 13:13

Originally Posted By: smitty
Tiles, just because I cannot prove that God does not exist, and just because you do not believe He exists and that hell is real, does not mean that I am wrong.

Actually, it does mean exactly that when it comes to truth finding. Why should the burden of proof be on us, when it is you that makes the claims of the existence of an invisible God?

Quote:
The fact is that God does exist and hell is real and one day you and everyone who does not believe will find this out.

More "or else" scare tactics?

Quote:
The fact is that God does exist and hell is real and one day you and everyone who does not believe will find this out.

Didn't we just agree in a different thread that it's not a fact? In fact, you've admitted in this thread that you couldn't prove it... indicating it's not a fact.

Cheers
Posted By: Tiles

Re: does god _still_ exist? when did god die? - 12/13/08 13:31

You live in a very own and special world my friend.

It is FAITH, not knowledge. You can believe in the imaginary pink bunny, that would be the same. No difference. Both don't exist. And that you constantly repeat that you believe in a imaginary pink bunny doesn't make it more real. Show me the coat of this bunny, then we talk again. But up to that point there is just one conclusion, which counts for all imaginary stuff: it doesn't exist.

Save me from what? Who the heck gives you the right to invade my world with your nonsense? I have a thousand other fairy tales that sounds equal weird. Shall i invade you too? Bewaare, the master is talking, the hooly flowerpot will resscue yuu, Believe, now, and spend a few bucks to the church of the holy flowerpot. Or you will burn in compost forever. HA.

Find out what? In case i would find out the existance of a god i would do everything to tap this bastard into his fat butt for all the nonsense he has introduced. I have all reasons to hate such a guy in case it would exist. But this danger doesn't exist. Because there is no god. No god would make such a nonsense world. This is grown and evoluted.

Fact is there is no god. Just some scared guys who fears a world without the big brother on their side to master the life. And have introduced a god therefore.

"His" book is so full of mistakes and inconsistency that it is for me unbelievable that there are still people who believes in this nonsense. It is a good dozen times translated from one language to another, loosing words and sense with every translation, and modified and corrected to fit the mood of a few fanatics. And even the correct translated parts are more than weird.

Adam and eve are the parents of the whole population? We are incest childs therefore all together? Geez. The whole Genesis is disproven. Not a single proof for the told fairy tales, just disproofs. No water everywhere. And you cannot divide light from darkness neither. Physically impossible. And "He" has also not called the upper part heaven. Because the heaven is below too. Earth is round, not flat. And so on. Whole text is inconsistent and untrue.

And also the new testament is nothing else than written propaganda, written by some religious fanatics called apostle. Facts? Who cares. Our job is to convince people from this fairy tale. So let's put in a miracle here and there ...

Hey, i can tell you a miracle that happened to me before a few minutes. I have transformed water into peppermint tea. Weeha, i am a god.

There is also not just black and white. Not just Hell and Heaven. There are as much greyscales as there are problems and solutions. Even your "good" god is killing, now that's what i call love. We put such guys in the jail nowadays.

Honestly the Hell would be the better, more comfortable place for me. No religious weirdoes, so a good place. Party on. But that's another story.

Your god, my friend, is a manmade myth. And doesn't exist.

Re: does god _still_ exist? when did god die? - 12/15/08 17:58

Quote:
but since you all are godless and do not fear God or care about how people who love God feel, then I guess that does not matter.

you like generalisations, don't you?

Re: does god _still_ exist? when did god die? - 12/18/08 17:40

You are right, broozar. I apologize for generalizing.
© 2024 lite-C Forums