A thought experiment about a program

Posted By: MasterQ32

A thought experiment about a program - 11/09/10 16:02

Last night i couldn't sleep and i thought about programming...
I got an idea about a program which couldn't be done today, but maybe in many many years...

So here is my thought experiment:
Quote:
A computer creates a database with picture files. Those pictures contains every byte combination you could do in a simple 24 bit image. Those images have a high resolution like 10 MegaPixels or something like that. Now you can search on this database with any input image and it will find all fitting images. You can also say that you want a picture with this thing, those persons and so on. You can find every possible image which could be created.

Now my question:
Should we create such a program in future?
And if we do, which worth will any picture and film get?
Posted By: Lukas

Re: A thought experiment about a program - 11/09/10 16:51

First of all, the number of all possible 10MP pictures in 24bit is 9.106583767*10^(7.2247198*10^7), which won't fit on any harddisk ever.

Secondly, the effort of searching a picture from this database that shows exactly what you want to have is equivalent to the effort of faking the picture.

So that program would be useless.
Posted By: FJS

Re: A thought experiment about a program - 11/09/10 18:02

... doch intressanter
ist die optimierungsfrage,
den pixelcode so zu gestalten,
daß alle möglichen bilder ausgelesen
werden können,...
und jedes doch vielleicht nur einmal,...
farben oder zahlen auf einer torusflächen,...

no more secrets

ciao sneaker
Posted By: Joozey

Re: A thought experiment about a program - 11/09/10 21:14

9.106583767*10^(7.2247198*10^7), that's a 9 with 27 million zeros. There are, at low guesses, only 4*10^79 hydrogen atoms in the observable universe. a 4 with 79 zeroes. You'd need 200.000.000% more matter if you even were able to write every bit on an atom. Putting it in perspective is fun grin. I do wonder where I made a mistake.
Posted By: MasterQ32

Re: A thought experiment about a program - 11/10/10 19:55

i think if you can search the "original" picture, you don't need to fake it...
and you don't need to think about the size of the database...
i think we can do it in our fantasy...

i think if we have such a program, you can't use a picture for anything but art
Posted By: Quad

Re: A thought experiment about a program - 11/18/10 11:52

such technology exist, try google googles on android, take a photo of a book cover/car/logo and get prices/wikipedia entries/google searches.
Posted By: Lukas

Re: A thought experiment about a program - 11/18/10 13:10

@Richi007: Let's put it that way: If you interpret all bytes of your picture as one big number, then finding the number is a task with an equivalent effort to finding the bytes, which define the pixels, don't you agree? Finding the bytes/pixels is like faking it.

If you have such a database, you don't only have all pictures you want, but you also have all pictures you want with errors. You might find a picture that looks like the one you were searching for, but looks like a cheap photoshop fake. The real looking one is only one of incredibly many.
Posted By: WretchedSid

Re: A thought experiment about a program - 11/18/10 16:33

I don't get it. You only have all pictures with a 10mp resolution, not all possible pictures.
Ohh... and what about different color formats (RGB, CYMK) (Additive, Subtractive)?
Posted By: Slin

Re: A thought experiment about a program - 11/18/10 16:52

Well, I once wrote a programm calculating an id for a picture and was kinda able to rebuild the same picture from that number. Both isn´t really a problem, the problem is just that it is quite useless, as it needs some extra power and an equal amount of memory as the "real" image. And finding a nude picture of your favourite film star or something, needs more luck than one robably has.
Posted By: WretchedSid

Re: A thought experiment about a program - 11/18/10 17:09

Well, no, not really.
All pictures are created via bruteforce and should be aligned like this in the databas (eg. 00...00 to FF..FF).

So you can now go ahead and tell the database for what you are looking, eg. how your filmstar looks. And then describe more of the picture, eg. the tentacel monster that rapes her and the spaceship in the background.

Then you let the database run and output all images (you can add a offset to the search index as images following next to each other would look pretty similiar).
Posted By: mk_1

Re: A thought experiment about a program - 11/24/10 13:22

I agree with Lukas. Even if you had all possible combinations (which you can reproduce anyway, why save them?) you can't just tell the PC to look for "the tentacel monster that rapes her and the spaceship in the background".

The best approach IMO is to search for images on the web, do some shape recognition and try to assemble the desired picture from those.

Another interesting thing you could do is to teach the PC a language, i.e. not only its syntax but its semantics. How cool would it be to tell the PC to search "for that dark colored actress which plays mostly in action flicks and in one movie she's standing in front of a red sports car" and it actually !understands! what you're talking about.
Posted By: ventilator

Re: A thought experiment about a program - 11/24/10 13:31

once you can talk to a computer like that everything is possible. even a make game button.
Posted By: mk_1

Re: A thought experiment about a program - 11/24/10 14:03

not necessarily. It may understand what an object is and associate attributes to it (like that the actress is dark colored and what an actress basically is) but since it doesn't have any visual input, can't smell, taste, hear, feel it doesn't really know what the object is like for us.

I'm only talking about a complex net of objects with associations to other objects which can simplify a search a lot.
© 2024 lite-C Forums