When you die, then what?

Posted By: ulillillia

When you die, then what? - 05/07/06 02:58

When you die, what do you think will happen afterwards for you?

I think that three things will occur. The first part would be a review of your life and how things went. As part of this review, you can ask questions to learn secrets that you otherwise would've never known. If, for example, your sister stole your favorite toy you've loved for years and always denied it, you can ask what really happened and you'd then know the real truth.

The second part is the main part - where your long-wanted wishes become real. If you've, for example, wanted to cruise around the world at high speed any way you wanted and be immune to all forms of damage, you'd have it.

The third part involves "choosing" who and what you'll be, and have a basic outline of events. The better you did in your last life, the more "points" you can spend.
Posted By: Pappenheimer

Re: When you die, then what? - 05/07/06 08:16

You actually seem to have a look at your life as a game and movie:
everything will be solved and all hidden items and extras are free and "happy end".

I don't expect something new, when I die. I hope, it won't be a brutal way of dying. But, I expect that I won't see and hear and smel and feel and think after that anymore, and that's quite ... nice.

A philosopher, as I was told, said: "The death comes always at an unsiutable time."
I mean, if you are awaiting the death as something where everything gets solved and turns out nicely, then you do it the wrong way round.
Live now, fight for your life to get the solutions and rewards within your daily life.
I guess that you feel that these are bigger tasks than you can manage.
So, I would recommand to work on short challenges first, but don't forget to increase your challenges from time to time. (I mean, especially that social challenges. You mentioned your sister, but there are others like neighbours, colleages, friends, relatives, strangers... each encounter a challenge for dignity, honesty, politeness, cooperativeness, trust, distrust and courage.)

Life is now, not in the eve of death.

Sartre said: "The hell, that are the others!"
But there are other philosophers like Levinas who said something like this: "The Other is the always new and never fully discovered, the Other is the risk and the chance of our self..." (This is not exactly quoted, it is more like I understood him. His philosphy is a bit more complicating than Sartre's. )

I knew a man who was in a relationship where everything was managed by his girlfriend, he couldn't decide the simpliest things and he was unable to organize and handle his life. I met him years later, he left her, and he was sort of hyped about the challenges of life, about the feeling to do things based on his own decisions, about how exciting it is to get a thing done on his own!

Another man, I know him from an association, was about to suicide after his father died, then he went to a psychiatry, and after that he joined the association in hope to get a job there. The association is somehow a family to him, but more complex one with a lot of characters! So, there he can collect experiences to establish an own strategy to 'survive'. Hopefully.

Everybody has his specific challenges within his abilities and his own character-istic restrains and social environments.
They won't solve while dying, they and their rewards are part of the life right now, every 'now' again.

[Sorry, if this is too close to your private affairs. But, somehow your posts are 'longing' for such a response. ]
Posted By: A.Russell

Re: When you die, then what? - 05/07/06 08:53

Something I find interesting is that no-one worries about the infinity before they were born. There is no great reason to think after you die will be any diferrent, except wishful thinking.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: When you die, then what? - 05/07/06 16:16

Of course, I think one of two things will happen. Hell or Heaven.

I think once we get to heaven though, we're not going to care about what happened in our previous life. The only time we're going to have to worry about it is at the initial judgement. After that, we'll want to forget all about it. We're not going to have all of the same desires and problems and emotions and pain, etc. So why would we want to reflect on a life caught halfway between heaven and hell? Once we're in hell, I can't even speculate. It'll be absolutely horrible I assume.

Quote:

Something I find interesting is that no-one worries about the infinity before they were born. There is no great reason to think after you die will be any diferrent, except wishful thinking.

Something I find interesting is that no-one accepts that the universe was obviously created, and instead spent their lives thinking that humanity is the best there is.

I think allowing yourself to ignore the obvious, once you're old enough to understand the difference (part of the reason we were created) is wishful thinking.
Posted By: Sinthoras

Re: When you die, then what? - 05/07/06 20:23

My opinion is a "bit" more pessimistic (but maybe also more realistic?)

Just before the moment of death, there might be a short life review. All right, I can accept this (as it was reported by people being nearly dead).
If your death is a very fast one, like dying in an explosion, this review doesn't happen. Simply because the human brain cannot act that fast.

After your brain is completely dead/destroyed, absolutely nothing happens.
Our so called "spirit", in my opinion only the definition of the great neuron complex between our ears, just doesn't exist anymore. There is no heaven and no hell where it can 'fly' to.
The body cannot work without the brain, means it is taken to the graveyard and turns to earth.

Sure, I do not have any prove of that but noone has. It is only my own opinion.

Regards
Sinthoras
Posted By: Pappenheimer

Re: When you die, then what? - 05/07/06 20:43

Quote:

I think allowing yourself to ignore the obvious, once you're old enough to understand the difference (part of the reason we were created) is wishful thinking.

That sentence could have said by scientists as well, or by one scientist about another...etc.
There is no limit of people with their different believes who said and will say this sentence again and again.
But the sentence is nonsense. Almost nothing is obvious.

Relating 'obvious', you can have four people within the same room the same moment looking at the same event, and you can be sure that you will get four versions about what 'obviously' happend!
Posted By: phil3d

Re: When you die, then what? - 05/08/06 08:51

the answer is very easy after life comes the same as before we were born...nothing
Posted By: testDummy

Re: When you die, then what? - 05/08/06 11:15

From my perspective, shortly after you die, perhaps a few hours after, you might take on what I like to refer to as a "heavier than life" appearance. In other words, to me, you might appear heavier dead, than simply sleeping. If you've died outside, typically, wihin a rather short duration, flies collect in and swarm about your mouth. Less than a few hours after discovery of the body, a crowd usually gathers around, not directly near, but roughly 15 to 25ft from the body. Peace officers may arrive, within the span of time that the crowd forms, and they may take pictures, ask questions, request that reports be written by witnesses, etc.
Quote:

Basically, if you've discovered and/or examined dead bodies, you might have answers to your question, albeit not the answers you were searching for.
Posted By: ROMAC

Re: When you die, then what? - 05/08/06 11:20

Why is it that people cannot accept the fact of "nothingness", it exists all around you. Before you were born you were nothing, and after you die you are nothing. Why would you see a review or your life? It's like saying that after you die you get 3 wishes. Life isn't a Disney movie...

Re: When you die, then what? - 05/08/06 16:37

Ye sure, but I think those people having been 'already' dead and than were brought to live again saw such things and had told it later.
One can interpret it as "searching" of the brain for a solution for such a heavy attack on it (death is one of the worst attacks, though its the last ^^). It trys to find any similarities in any situation of your whole life, what makes you thinking of a live review. The matter that you only see the positive aspects is explained simple: the brain is designed to save the good things better than the bad.

No matter what happens AT THE MOMENT of death, after it there's nothing, I agree with you

Re: When you die, then what? - 05/08/06 17:10

when you die you get to redeem points during life. You have to spend these points under a certain formula:

COL+RATAB+COL_RABAB_SHISH_KEBAB

Thats the formula for my death pixel colorization for fog and persepective after death. Couple that with my awesome Zero trick and my bubsy 3d level 2 tropical music (act 2).

You then get an invincibility powerup and you can travel the world using a unique flash attack (never invented before), and you get to see panels upon panels of extraneous numbers tracking every useless statistic.

Thats what happens after you die.
Posted By: Helghast

Re: When you die, then what? - 05/08/06 19:33

Quote:

Why is it that people cannot accept the fact of "nothingness", it exists all around you. Before you were born you were nothing, and after you die you are nothing. Why would you see a review or your life? It's like saying that after you die you get 3 wishes. Life isn't a Disney movie...

Gotta agree here, after death, i think there wont be anything anymore, it's like sleeping without dreaming, you just wont wake up, i think you woiuldnt even notice it.

Only thing i wish nobody, is a painfull and slow death (like suffication, burning, having a certain disease like cancer...)

that's my vision, there is nothing after this, cuz if there would be a God, and we would reincarnate, wouldnt we have allready met the man itself, now why would our memory be erased all the time then?

i dont think there are any spirits inside people, it's just bones and flesh...

regards,
Posted By: TS

Re: When you die, then what? - 05/08/06 20:37

My point of view is this:

Until we have disires, and cravings, we will comeback to life(rebirth). If we managed to have clearvision (such as we are nothing 'empty'), and we gave up all of our sense disires, we will not born again. It will be like sleeping without dreaming (completly empty). Only this will end our suffering (old age, illness, broken relationships, deaths of family members, etc).
Posted By: Irish_Farmer

Re: When you die, then what? - 05/10/06 05:13

Just be careful. Don't make the error of assuming that our entire existence is material. Scientists can explain emotions chemically, but can you explain why you actually FEEL emotions. You're just a bunch of chemicals. Your consciousness should not exist. But it does. Obviously there's something supernatural about life.

I know I'm not going to change any of your minds. But I feel I would be irresponsible if I simply let you turn your back on God like that. That said, you don't need to argue my point. I'm not here to change anyone's mind. Discuss onwards.
Posted By: PHeMoX

Re: When you die, then what? - 05/10/06 13:21

Quote:

when you die you get to redeem points during life. You have to spend these points under a certain formula:

COL+RATAB+COL_RABAB_SHISH_KEBAB

Thats the formula for my death pixel colorization for fog and persepective after death. Couple that with my awesome Zero trick and my bubsy 3d level 2 tropical music (act 2).

You then get an invincibility powerup and you can travel the world using a unique flash attack (never invented before), and you get to see panels upon panels of extraneous numbers tracking every useless statistic.

Thats what happens after you die.

Yeah, but I think we were not talking using a cheat in a computer game here.

Honestly I'm not really sure what will happen after I'm dead, but I think it will be a fade to black only, not even a list of credits , just plain nothing more.

Cheers
Posted By: ello

Re: When you die, then what? - 05/10/06 13:58

well if one dies he will just be placed there again and again , until he/she manages to get the live done right. why do you think there are dejavues? just because you already have been there before. mostly those dejavues are to activate your senses not to make the same mistake again, which in you former live caused your death. for example if you once came along a murderer and he killed you. next live you will have a dejavue, keep an eye open and pass that hurdle. onto the next...

if you manage to get onto the next stage (like a butterfly during metamorphosis) i believe you are free. what you believed in live will happen. you can choose to go back on earth, you can just sit around the clouds and play cards with your buddies. whatever you imagine it will come true. you can be everywhere at the same time, as you will go back to where you once came from
Posted By: ello

Re: When you die, then what? - 05/10/06 14:01

Quote:

and you have already died? that you know soo much about it? funny.
its poor that you have been nothing before you have been born. well i was something before i was born. birth takes place when you leave your mothers body. my definition.

of course there is need for new souls. but not all souls are new. one do bad things, you will come back and have to suffer exactly to them. one do good thing, you'll may be pleased to enjoy them.
Posted By: NITRO777

Re: When you die, then what? - 05/10/06 18:43

Quote:

Hopefully Ill hear some words along these lines:
Quote:

Mat 25:21 His lord said unto him, Well done, thou good and faithful servant: thou hast been faithful over a few things, I will make thee ruler over many things: enter thou into the joy of thy lord.

Posted By: Gazzbass

Re: When you die, then what? - 05/10/06 18:49

It all boils down to this... there are no hard, quantitative, empirical bodies of evidence to support ANY side of this debate. All we have is hearsay and stories. A lot of hopes and fears surround the topic of death, and it is indeed comforting to think that it is not the be-all-and-end-all. To some, having the belief that there "must be something else" afterwards makes death a much more tame prospect. The idea of "nothingness" scares most people, and rightly so, given that we are aware of our own mortality and existence... our instinct for survival.
If there is reason to believe that something else exists beyond your own personal demise, then why not ask someone who has passed on to explain what happens afterwards, etc, etc, etc...
Remember that we are all made of atoms, though. So maybe there is something else afterwards... your constituent atoms (the hydrogen anyway) has been around since the beginning of the universe as we currently understand it. They will be around after you die. They may become part of a tree, or a shoe, or any other conceivable type of object.
Conversly, some of the atoms that currently make you up could have been part of Napoleon, or part of a dog poo, etc, etc. They were, after all, originally synthesized within the stars, but that is too far of topic here.
What we are looking for here though is evidence of sentience beyond our lives. I'm afraid this has, in my opinion, been entirely undemonstrated.
We all have cherished beliefs, but to my knowledge there has only been one tool cultivated by humanity that has been the true wayfarer on the road to truth, and that is science. Used correctly, this tool can be our greatest ally. Used incorrectly, irresponsibly, or quoted out of context, it can mislead and perhaps destroy us.
There is room in this world for all beliefs, on faith or otherwise. However, and this is just my opinion, I would rather have the cold, hard facts than succumb to insubstantiation.
Now, if a body of good evidence came to light demonstrating that there is some sort of cogniscent activity beyond your life, then we can use science as a tool to study it. That is why science has succeeded in every field that has tasked it. Done correctly, it is impersonal and self correcting. The impersonal part of science may not be altogether to our liking, but the universe is not required to conform to the aspirations and ambitions of humans.
People who say to me "how can you live without believing in xyz..." and that my spirit is sterile. To them I reply that there are untold wonders in the field of science, stranger than even the most fanciful fiction. This is what makes my "spirit" soar!
In conclusion, I also believe, given the evidence, that although the universe goes on after you die, you are not aware of it. In fact, you are not aware of anything anymore. No matter how upset I may be at this dismal conclusion (and I am) and no matter how much I want to belive that I will go on somehow, I have to accept that there is a finallity to my own personal existence in my current configuration. I take solice though, that my consituent parts (atoms) will be around for time immemorial!
I do not pretend to know anything about death, but one day, for the briefest instant, I most certainly will. That is for sure. The problem is that I don't think it would be possible to impart the description of the experience in any meaningful way before I passed into oblivion, or impart any other information thereafter.
All the more reason to make your life count for something every day!

Re: When you die, then what? - 05/10/06 18:53

interesting point of view @ello
but what about a computer generated soul then? (ye we're in a programmers forum ^^)
If the AI developement comes to the point where a human brain can be simulated.. where the computer gehts its own behaviour, its own 'soul'.. What about this one then?

and to Gazzbass:
you have written down a lot of things that I think of, too. Thanks to that
Science turned to be the most 'wonderful' area ever, it brought us things even religion could not imagine.

Re: When you die, then what? - 05/10/06 21:10

I don't fear death at all. No big deal, lights go off, it's not that I will notice that at all, at least the process won't last forever anyway. The real question is not about death itself, but about wether or not there's something after it. Well I can think about a lot of stuff that could happen, but we'd only know it once that moment arrives. Inevitable ánd unpredictable, so why worry at all? I could die tomorrow, but I could have been dead yesterday already (off course me typing this would be kinda uuuhm ... ).
Just enjoy life and don't worry about the end, better have a lot of pleasure now, than one big dissappointment at the end,

Cheers

Re: When you die, then what? - 05/16/06 01:50

personally, I think there is a certain "groaning" or pain that we all endure right from birth. Even if you supposedly feel like a million dollars, eat healthy, feel healthy, I think there is a certain pain or constraint we endure. Ive been coming to realize that the feeling of pleasure is in close range with pain ( eg. sexual climax, or like the sensation after a stomach ache passes). So this pain that we feel all the time has been intertwined in our pleasure.

I dont know how to explain it, but I think its the weight of our physical body chaining and breaking down constantly during our life. The containment of our mind in a physical form (the brain) hurts it and prevents it from freedom. So ultimatly, I think that right after death, you feel a freedom and rest like youve never felt before. Rest of mind, body and soul. Personally, I think that even the most evil of mankind get an intitial rest after dying.

And after that rest, well no one knows.... except forum posters
Posted By: yung

Re: When you die, then what? - 06/01/06 23:02

What happens when you die depends on what happens when your alive, if you die after having lived a life full of artifical reality, you will surely die, for there will be now spirit left to transcend.

Re: When you die, then what? - 06/25/06 03:16

1. Conciousness and cognition come from the brain through some process, as evidenced by the fact that braind amage cna permenently affect cognitiona dn personality.
2. The brain requires oxygen to function
3. When dead, no oxygen reaches the brain for an extened period of time

Conclusion: When you die your conciousness ceases to exist.
Posted By: Matt_Aufderheide

Re: When you die, then what? - 06/26/06 00:12

When you die you die, what's the big mystery? Its the same as not having been born yet.
Posted By: EZzy79

Re: When you die, then what? - 08/03/06 03:40

After I die, i'll go straight back to the 'Please insert coin' page because my player forgot to bring an extra quarter.
Posted By: mpdeveloper_B

Re: When you die, then what? - 08/27/06 02:35

what happens, happens when i die, i believe i will go to heaven, and that i will live eternal life..
Posted By: ICEman

Re: When you die, then what? - 08/27/06 03:26

blah when you die you shed your skin, blood and bones. Your spirit either goes free to wander about..provided you follow the rules (like not disclosing anything about God.. or all the other stuff the living aint supposed to know).. or gets conscripted on another sortie..

There's nothin much transcendental about it.. but.. if you try hard enough.. you can retain your memories as a civil war soldier when you're a accountant on the 98th floor of a corporate headquarters... and if you're lucky you'll forget that life when you're an interplanetary space trucker
Posted By: Alberto

Re: When you die, then what? - 08/27/06 07:51

Quote:

can you explain why you actually FEEL emotions. You're just a bunch of chemicals. Your consciousness should not exist.

This is actually a strong point in favour of the existence of soul

Re: When you die, then what? - 08/27/06 10:18

Quote:

Quote:

can you explain why you actually FEEL emotions. You're just a bunch of chemicals. Your consciousness should not exist.

This is actually a strong point in favour of the existence of soul

No, it's not, it's simply the effect and result of chemicals in your body. Do we really feel or are we tricked by our brain to feel? Emotions are definately the result of chemical processes in our body, how else could drugs or alcohol influence them? So, no it's not at all a big point in favour of having a soul. Having a consciousness isn't one either, because when you're in a coma, mostly the conscious goes on being active, simply because usually the brain is one of the last things that will stop functioning. You think with your brain, so thoughts continue to appear. Did you know that the brain remains active for about 4 minutes after the hearth stopped? That's not because it houses a soul, it's because the brain is still able to use some of the blood that's left that has oxigin in it and thus continues to work.

Quote:

Just before the moment of death, there might be a short life review. All right, I can accept this (as it was reported by people being nearly dead).

Yes, hallucinations are very common with near death people. Oww and people with a bad conscious will definately think about the bad things they've done right before they die, it's called 'fear' ...

Cheers

Re: When you die, then what? - 08/27/06 10:51

I am not so sure
Take for example a famous variant of the Turing test
You ask a person, some questions in chinese language
He does not know Chinese but you provide him with a manual for translating chinese ideograms
You can get consistent answers even though the person under test does not have any consciousness of what he is doing

Chemical reactions can "code" the "manual" or a " Set of rules " but "consciousness" seems to be quite an othe matter

Re: When you die, then what? - 08/27/06 11:29

I tend to disagree. We see with our eyes, realise what's happening with our brain, because of the impulses and information send by our eyes, our brain tells us to be happy about it or not by telling the body to release certain chemicals, that's it. Even with such a test, I don't see why that would be different.

Quote:

You can get consistent answers even though the person under test does not have any consciousness of what he is doing

Not knowing what you are doing and trying to find out what works well or learning by those ideograms is hardly the same. The latter requires enough intelligence to be succesful, not a consciousness. But that maybe simply me not quite understanding this test variant.

Cheers

Re: When you die, then what? - 08/27/06 14:48

Quote:

I

But that maybe simply me not quite understanding this test variant.

Cheers

This test variant has been proposed to emphasize( at least to try to..)the difference beetwen a human being and a machine
It is well known that no sofware has been yet capable to pass the Turing test

If you ask a set of questions to an entity behind a screen, sooner or later you will realize wether you are dealing with a human being or a computer

However even though in future a PC will pass the Turing test ,you can not claim that the machine have any consciousness for the reason explained before

Obviously there are also some proves against the existence of soul

If a cat attacks a mouse, the heartbeat of the mouse's mother drammatically increases even though she is in a safety place
It seems strange that a "pure reactive agent" can drive also some functions which apparently have nothing to do with the survival of the animal but which are very close to human emotions

The problem of soul existence is still open , in my opinion

Re: When you die, then what? - 08/27/06 16:09

Quote:

Chemical reactions can "code" the "manual" or a " Set of rules " but "consciousness" seems to be quite an othe matter

No, consciousness is simply a lot of those chemical reactions all together, because one single thought is not the same as 1 chemical reaction somewhere, it requires a bit more. Why would a chemical reaction, with as result how we feel and react be different from our definition of 'conscious'?

Quote:

If a cat attacks a mouse, the heartbeat of the mouse's mother drammatically increases even though she is in a safety place
It seems strange that a "pure reactive agent" can drive also some functions which apparently have nothing to do with the survival of the animal but which are very close to human emotions

There could be dozens of reasons for the mother mouse having a fast heartbeat at that moment, it doesn't need a consciousness for it. When that last devestating tsunami came a lot of animals were already long gone. Did they sense it comming? That would still not mean they must have a soul. It does indicate a sense of consciousness, but I think we don't know much about that yet when it comes to animals,

Cheers
© 2024 lite-C Forums