Moral Relativism

Posted By: Irish_Farmer

Moral Relativism - 06/18/06 19:31

Quote:

nonsense.. this doesnt follow in the slightest. Consciousness--while evolutionarily emergent, allows humans and higher animals to make choices. This leads to question of morality in general.

How does consciousness lead to a question of morality? Whether or not I'm conscious, sex with whomever I want whenever I want is still going to be pleasurable. Why would I wonder if its right or wrong?

Quote:

Morality is obviously derived from early tribal behavior in which poeple in a small to mid-sized social group needed rules of conduct.

Which I'm sure you've concluded from years of on-location research with tribal humans, and hundreds of hours spent writing peer-reviewed papers. That's why its so apparent to you.

Quote:

Similar rules of conduct are visble in great ape social groups as well. The fact is moral codes are advantageous for a society.

Yes, except humans don't have to act on instinct (although we do quite often). We can act based on conscious decisions that literally can override our genetic code. The 'decisions' apes have to make are nothing like human social interaction. Before you say we're pretty much apes, I'll remind you that apes put their fingers in their butts and smell them, we make airplanes. Apes will pee into their own mouths, whereas we make works of art.

Moral codes are good for society, but that doesn't mean people follow them just because they're good. Much of what our genetic code tells us to do is actually bad for us. Being promiscuous is one that society has yet to make a social rule for, but it causes the rapid spread of disease, causes unwanted pregnancies, etc. Not everything bad is prevented by social rules, and in fact social rules cause bad stuff all the time. You provided me with a prime example.

Quote:

This of course creates a problem for moral absolutists, who cant accpet that practics they find abhorent may have been perfectly acceptable in other cultures. Pederasty in ancient Greece was a normal part of life for many poeple (particularly upper class or warrior classes). Regardless of how WE view that behavior, it was viewed in a fundamentally different way by THEM.

Ok, so basically raping little boys isn't really all that bad, because it was socially acceptable? This goes along the same lines of you thinking that technically the nazis would have been right had they won the war. In fact, your position that all morals are relative is an absolute statement. The fact is, you can't avoid absolutes. Its logically contradicting to believe in relativism. But the fact of the matter is you don't like being told what to do. You want to replace your creator as the only absolute for right and wrong.

Quote:

I could also say the love for God of some of us have wars as a result. I would be closer to the truth than you stating that evolution is evil my friend.

But let's look at it this way. Christianity does not teach killing people for not believing. In order to justify that you would have to act contrary to the teachings. However, justifying rape is NOT contrary to evolutionary teaching. In fact, its a good way to propogate your genes if you otherwise wouldn't have much sexual activity. Its VERY easy to justify just about anything when your belief says that the only absolute is that you've survived. From there, its up to you to figure out what you need to do.

This is ok for intellectual atheists who know not to hurt other people (sometimes). However, most atheists aren't intellectuals. They're petty criminals, punk kids, etc. They hear that society is the only standard for right and wrong, but they don't care. If society is the only standard for right and wrong, then all they have to do is not get caught and that means they didn't do anything wrong. Thanks to 'intellectual' atheists, these people are being force fed this philosophy in my country's public schools. Thanks.

Just last night I was nearly t-boned (I probably would have been hospitalized), from someone driving a van like a madman away from a crimescene where they either injured or killed several people. The ambulance sirens must have spooked him into running away. I literally had to drive all the way off the road just to keep from being hit because he didn't stop before merging onto my road.

This person does not care one single bit about anyone but himself. Really, he's playing right into your philosophy. He stopped himself from getting caught, even if that meant hurting one more random collection of chemicals. You can tell him he's wrong, but no moral is absolutely right anyway. So as long as he doesn't get caught, then no big deal. What's the loss of a few more of nature's accidents anyway?

Tell me, if Hitler had taken over the world, would his version of morals have been right? I can't really remember if I got an answer to this one.

Quote:

Apart from that prove to me that other organisms than humans do not 'love' eachother. You can't really expect that a squirrel loves like the way we do, considering the big differences, especially when it comes to consciousness and intelligence.

Squirrels treat each other fairly because they have no choice. Its hard coded in their genes. We treat each other fairly because we Love each other. Its hard coded into our genes to be able to make the choice, not to be forced into the choice. We have the choice to abuse each other, and we might be able to get away with it, but we choose not to. Some of us. Husbands who beat their wives, people who make fun of different kids at school, don't know love. But that they have the choice between treating someone right and wrong, and they sometimes do choose to treat them right, is the difference between love and simple instinct.

Quote:

I'd say love is a pretty irrelevant argument, not just because while sometimes it strikes you down in a split second and you know 'wow, I'm in love', sometimes it takes time to develop, but maybe you haven't witnissed this yet.

My family is a witness to God's love working to create love. Long story short, there were problems with my parents, and they were on the verge of divorce. However, at some point they became christians, and they also reconciled. I basically owe my life to God. Since God changed their lives through the prayers of my father's uncle, they've been a great example of love for me. I may not have experienced love yet, but I have witnessed it.

Quote:

What implications on my practical live? Again, we can love just like they can .. Infact it's quite arrogant of them to think they can do better, they are not saints and most of them are not acting like they could become one either...

You refuse to accept that nothing really matters, because you're just a random collection of chemicals. That emotions, including love, really have no meaning. That the purpose you think you have in your life is just an illusion because in the end anything you do doesn't matter whatsoever, except that your accidental combination of genes is tricking you into thinking it does matter.

Those implications.
Posted By: Matt_Aufderheide

Re: Moral Relativism - 06/18/06 20:18

Quote:

How does consciousness lead to a question of morality?

How else can moral choices be made?

Quote:

Yes, except humans don't have to act on instinct (although we do quite often). We can act based on conscious decisions that literally can override our genetic code. The 'decisions' apes have to make are nothing like human social interaction. Before you say we're pretty much apes, I'll remind you that apes put their fingers in their butts and smell them, we make airplanes. Apes will pee into their own mouths, whereas we make works of art.

This is just so dumb its funny.

Quote:

Ok, so basically raping little boys isn't really all that bad, because it was socially acceptable?

Once again you completely miss the point. First of all greek pederasty didnt involve "raping little boys". It usually involved a voluntary relationship between an older man and a younger man, probably a teenager. Generally anal sex wasnt involved.

The fact is, regardless of how we view this behavior due our cultural conditioning, this was viewed as normal to ancient Greeks. As Greece established one of the great civilizations of history, this practice must not have been harmful in the long run, and may have had benefits. I dont personally approve of this kind of behavior, but so what?

Quote:

Tell me, if Hitler had taken over the world, would his version of morals have been right? I can't really remember if I got an answer to this one.

This is kind of thing doesnt even require a response.

Quote:

My family is a witness to God's love working to create love. Long story short, there were problems with my parents, and they were on the verge of divorce. However, at some point they became christians, and they also reconciled. I basically owe my life to God. Since God changed their lives through the prayers of my father's uncle, they've been a great example of love for me. I may not have experienced love yet, but I have witnessed it.

Its arrogant and silly to suggest that god takes a personal interest in your family, when so many other familes DO end in diviorce or worse. What make you better than them? Like those retarded athletes who thank god for letting them win the race, etc.

See, this is what I have long suspected. Your INSISTENCE that Gos exists, that evolution is false, etc, comes from purely emotional reasons. Why cant God help poeple even if they dont pray to him? He's supposed to be omnicient. So becasue no one knew about God until 30 AD, he didnt give a damn about anyone before that and let parents get divorces? Give me a break.

Re: Moral Relativism - 06/18/06 21:35

Quote:

How else can moral choices be made?

Moral choices are made because of our consciousness. However, our consciousness doesn't automatically set rules for us. We decide on the rules, or we're told what the rules are and they determine our behavior. But I seriously doubt that serial killers aren't conscious.

Quote:

This is just so dumb its funny.

You compared ape social behavior to humans as if it had any bearing. I know you think we came from monkeys, but that's because you're mislead. If you want to compare the ability to make choices, birds would have been a better choice.

Quote:

Once again you completely miss the point. First of all greek pederasty didnt involve "raping little boys". It usually involved a voluntary relationship between an older man and a younger man, probably a teenager. Generally anal sex wasnt involved.

A pederast is "A man who has sexual relations, especially anal intercourse, with a boy." I'm sure boys willingly asked for things to be shoved up their butt.

Either way, this isn't a really good example, because its going to come down to our disagreement on whether homosexuality is wrong. Its pretty difficult to prove homosexuality is wrong, but we can move on to more important examples.

Quote:

As Greece established one of the great civilizations of history, this practice must not have been harmful in the long run, and may have had benefits.

Yes, having anal sex, or even just getting a blowjob from a boy, or something equally perverted could have numerous benefits.

Quote:

This is kind of thing doesnt even require a response.

You can't escape your own conclusions. You've told me time and time again that our own personal societal choices determine right from wrong. So tell me, had Hitler taken over the world, would not his view of right and wrong become THE view of right and wrong, and there would be no point in questioning it? You can't escape your own conclusions here, I just want you to admit to everyone watching how absolutely twisted your views are. You keep bringing up ideologically friendly examples like Man-Boy love, why won't you answer this one?

The parallel is crystal clear. You reference another culture that has a different view on man-boy love. Why won't you discuss another culture that has a different view on the value of other people's lives?

I'm happy that you're avoiding the answer, because its obvious your own viewpoint is threatening, even to you.

Quote:

Its arrogant and silly to suggest that god takes a personal interest in your family, when so many other familes DO end in diviorce or worse. What make you better than them?

He takes a personal interest in EVERYONE's lives. I may have the advantage of good parents, but I also have many disadvantages. However, this is going to take us down a track of what effect a Godly life has on people, and that's a dead end argument with someone like you.

Quote:

Why cant God help poeple even if they dont pray to him?

God didn't force my parents to do anything good, He gave them a way to do the right thing in a world that teaches there really is no right thing to do.

Quote:

See, this is what I have long suspected. Your INSISTENCE that Gos exists, that evolution is false, etc, comes from purely emotional reasons.

Have I ever been emotional in any of my arguments against evolution? You, sir, are the one who argues with emotion.

Quote:

So becasue no one knew about God until 30 AD

No one knew about God until 30 A.D.? So then who was Jesus talking about his entire life? And who did the prophets, who predicted Jesus' coming, believe in for years and years and years before Jesus even arrived on the scene?

Re: Moral Relativism - 06/19/06 00:46

Quote:

Yes, having anal sex, or even just getting a blowjob from a boy, or something equally perverted could have numerous benefits.

Im sorry but you need to read some of the history here, as you are clearly ignorant of the facts. These kind of relationships mainly functioned as a sort of bonding and teaching environment. I'm not defending it from an absolute moral stance, just that here you totally dont realize the actual facts. Most of the young men who had relationships with older men remained good friends with them later in life.

If you havent rad the ancient greek sources, and the modern commentaries, you dont really have a clue what you are tlaking about in this case.

The point is not wether we believe that this behavior was right, but whether they belived it, and whether it had harmful effects on society--You topic was on moral relativism.

That morality is relative is self-evident to anyone who any exposure to other cultures.. What is taboo in some societies is perfectly acceptable in others. Nudity is generally not considered acceptable to be viewed by children in the USA, but in places like Japan it is not at all discouraged.

On an even more obvious note, morality is relative on an individual and even *context* basis. Many men may think using a prostitute is wrong, but then they may think it is all right in some circumstances, like at a bachelor party.

There do some to be some universal standards of morality, but even then these rules are not hard-and-fast, and change with time.

Thus the example of ancient Greek pederastic relationships. In Greece this was considered an important part of a young man's education and emotional and sexual development. In the modern Western world this is considered harmful. Who is right?

Re: Moral Relativism - 06/19/06 01:39

You still haven't answered my question. If everything is relative, then by extension if Hitler had taken over the world, his view of right and wrong would have been ok?

You seem to feel strongly about relativism. Why are you afraid to discuss this?

Quote:

These kind of relationships mainly functioned as a sort of bonding and teaching environment.

Yes, but no one argues whether or not teaching and bonding are ok. The question is whether or not grown men having sex with teenage boys is ok.

Whether or not they're teaching or 'bonding' with them, they're still having sex with them!

Quote:

The point is not wether we believe that this behavior was right, but whether they belived it, and whether it had harmful effects on society--You topic was on moral relativism.

So then you're against promiscuousness? You believe its absolutely wrong to be promiscuous? You then have to tell teenagers that they're absolutely wrong to have unprotected sex (both of these things have harmful effects on society), but to do that you would have to convince them that there are moral absolutes.

You're starting to sound like an absolutist here, its very contradictory.

Quote:

That morality is relative is self-evident to anyone who any exposure to other cultures.. What is taboo in some societies is perfectly acceptable in others.

That proves that people can't agree on right or wrong. That doesn't mean that God doesn't exist, and didn't come up with some rules about what's right and wrong.

Quote:

Thus the example of ancient Greek pederastic relationships. In Greece this was considered an important part of a young man's education and emotional and sexual development. In the modern Western world this is considered harmful. Who is right?

Anyone who believes that a grown man having sex with boys isn't wrong, is wrong.

Quote:

There do some to be some universal standards of morality, but even then these rules are not hard-and-fast, and change with time.

Ok, so then murder and rape are only wrong because we've decided they were wrong? This is what I hear you saying. Can you just confirm this for me?

If you don't believe your worldview encourages the most dangerous of relativist people, then I'll reference you back to the original rape quote.

Quote:

In A Natural History of Rape, Randy Thornhill and Craig Palmer argue that rape is an adaptation--that it has evolved to increase the reproductive success of men who would otherwise have little sexual access to women. Their analysis of rape then forms the basis of a protracted sales pitch for evolutionary psychology, the latest incarnation of sociobiology; not only do the authors believe that this should be the explanatory model of choice in the human behavioral sciences, but they also want to see its insights incorporated into social policy.

Coyne and Berry, Nature, Vol. 404, 9 March 2000, “Rape as an Adaptation” page 121

It would be one thing if this were contradictory to evolution. But evolution doesn't teach anything about right or wrong, and says that the only right or wrong is whatever provides a reproductive advantage. So while this may offend our morals (which aren't really a sure thing anyway), technically its ok.

Let's keep your worldview out of society.
Posted By: PHeMoX

Re: Moral Relativism - 06/19/06 11:44

We've had this argument already ... which is why I will not respond to it. You go on about how evolution could not possibly provide a healthy society, which is obviously a crappy viewpoint to say the least.

Quote:

You seem to feel strongly about relativism. Why are you afraid to discuss this?

What's next? Claiming we are in denial? I for one am not afraid to discuss anything, you just repeat the same stuff over and over again.

Quote:

If everything is relative, then by extension if Hitler had taken over the world, his view of right and wrong would have been ok?

Been there done that. Did you even read what has been responded to that back when you first came up with that?

Quote:

That proves that people can't agree on right or wrong. That doesn't mean that God doesn't exist, and didn't come up with some rules about what's right and wrong.

Blind faith, that's a bad thing. There are a million reasons possible why someone would think of something as being right opposed to wrong in a lot of cases. There's no such thing as moral absolutism ..

Cheers

Re: Moral Relativism - 06/19/06 19:42

I think what Irish doesnt want to admit, or fails to undersatnd, is that HUMANS invent morality. Yes we do indeed decide what is "right" and what is "wrong". There simply isnt a absolute code that come from the heavens...

And SO WHAT? This doesnt mean Hitler was right... this is a dumb arguement--I'm so sick of half-wits pulling Hitler out of the closet every time they want to trick poeple...Hitler is a boogey man that can be used to argue any point.

None of this means that we should all run around raping and killing anyone we want to.

Re: Moral Relativism - 06/19/06 20:28

Quote:

We've had this argument already ... which is why I will not respond to it. You go on about how evolution could not possibly provide a healthy society, which is obviously a crappy viewpoint to say the least.

That's not the point. Evolution has nothing to do with this. Is is whether or not moral reletivism is even a valid viewpoint. Stay on topic.

Quote:

What's next? Claiming we are in denial? I for one am not afraid to discuss anything, you just repeat the same stuff over and over again.

The only answer I get is that, "I won't dignify that with a response." That's why I have to keep asking.

Ok, since you seem to have some trouble even elaborating on your own viewpoints, I'll do it for you. Tell me if I make any mistakes. Hitler was wrong, because the allies won the war and so the majority rule decided that killing people is wrong. Not because murder is wrong.

If you say murder is always wrong then you're imposing a moral absolute, in which case morals are not relative and you're still wrong because you said that morals are not absolute.

If one culture CAN get it wrong, and call murder ok. Then perhaps one culture can get it wrong and call homosexual pedophilia wrong. Perhaps there is an ultimate standard for right and wrong, and humans can't always figure out what it is, but sometimes we get it right.

If you say that there isn't an ultimate standard for right and wrong, then if the majority says its ok to kill minorities, and society doesn't falter for it, then you so, "So what? Who are we to say anything is wrong?" If you say that they were wrong, even if the majority accepted it, then you're imposing an absolute moral, in which case your viewpoint is still invalid.

So either you say, anything goes as long as it works for society, (which would include slavery, which certainly helped the economy) and you then have to admit that your relativist viewpoint is dangerous (or not admit it, but it'll be blatantly obvious), or you have to admit that there are absolute morals, in which case morals are not relative, and are absolute. Furthermore, since we can't always seem to get it right, it might seem we're only partially discovering some higher, ultimate truth. Whether or not you think that ultimate truth comes from a creator or not is irrelevant. However, it would seem logically obvious there are moral absolutes. I think we should give God credit for them, and obey them, you think we should figure out for ourselves what they are.

I don't think we disagree that there are absolutes, you just want to be able to decide what those absolutes are for yourself, to sum it up.

Unless you're going to say that American slavery, and Hitler weren't really all that bad because they worked out for those societies at the time.
Posted By: Doug

Re: Moral Relativism - 06/19/06 20:59

Not touching the subject (okay, maybe a little ) but I will give some links to try to keep this more intellectual rather than emotional.

Quote:

I'm so sick of half-wits pulling Hitler out of the closet every time they want to trick poeple...Hitler is a boogey man that can be used to argue any point.

Look up Godwin's Law. It is very hard to have any valid discussion once Hitler has been brought into the conversation. The same goes with child molestation. These topic are way to emotional for most people to discuss in a level-headed manner. It can be done but, most of the time, things degrade quickly.

Another problem I see with this thread is there really isn't (as far as I can tell) a clear question. Do you want to discuss Moral Relativism? If so, what part do you want to discuss? Or do you just want to troll and attack each other? Most forum threads on the internet tend to fall into this last category.

Re: Moral Relativism - 06/19/06 21:33

Yes I know about Goodwin's Law, and I agree with it.

It seems some poeple dont have the common sense to realize that Hitler and Nazis are aberations, they are the exception that proves the rule. Most of the world hated Nazism, including many Germans. So even if Germany had won the war, the majority of the world would have still belived that nazism and the holocuast, etc, were wrong.

one of the interesting things about the holocuast is that ordinary (non-psychopaths) participated in mass killing. They would later explain that they were taught to belive, throgh pervasive mass propaganda, that the Jews were dangerous subhumans who wanted to destroy Western civilization (in much the same way that Amercans are now taught that muslims are intent on destroying us--so Bush can do what he wants).

The point is, the majority of these poeple probably didnt belive that mass slughter was morally ok, but in the case of the Jews they had been convinced they were human, and so killing them justified. This is not an excuse, but it does show that morality is very complicated, and dependent on context, and what pople are told is right and wrong.

Thus, the "top-down" moral approach is actually shown to be flawed by the case of the Nazis. If poeple weren't told what was right and wrong by a central authority (whether its Hitler or Pat Robertson), perhaps such outrages would not occur so frequntly. It were better if poeple were able to think for themselves, to determin their own personal morality, rather than listen to what the mob demands.

Re: Moral Relativism - 06/19/06 21:37

I can see your point. But I'm not trying to appeal directly to emotion. Matt keeps bringing up liberal-friendly examples like homosexual pedophilia.

If that example, of another culture's traditions which we find wrong, can be used. Then why not naziism?

American slavery is possibly a better example because its benefit to society is easier to recognize, even though its universally understood to be a bad thing.

I'm not attacking them, they aren't attacking me. Its still on friendly terms.

However, I think avoiding the question would just be unfair. That would be like me asking them to prove evolution, but they can't use any pieces of evidence that contradict creation. Furthermore, how do you measure emotional response? How do you know that people in the debate weren't victims of pedophilia and so they react strongly to his use of pederasty.

Its all quite subjective, but in the greater idea of whether or not morals are absolute, American slavery, murder, and the nazis are relevant. I could just use the more general use of the word 'murder', but then they might say that no culture universally accepts murder. Then I'd give the example of hitler and we'd be right back where we started.

Re: Moral Relativism - 06/19/06 21:49

OK, here is your main error: you equate ancient Greek pederasty with Nazis or American slavery. They are not even remotely similar.

I said that the Greek practices seemed to have no ill effect on society, or most poeple who took part..I'm not saying WE should view it as right.

However, Nazism and slavery have had terrible and long-lasting consequences which in some ways the world has still not recovered from--and may not for hundreds of years.

For instance, Africa itself was horribly damaged by the slave trade; whole generations of poeple were stolen away, whole villages dissappeared, families were split up, tribes fought against other tribes, and so on. The sorry state of affairs in Africa today have deep roots in the European slave-trade.

Similar things happend in Eastern Europe becasue of the Germans. The Jewish holocaust was just one part of an even greater destructive program that scarred the region deeply.

Morality is a complex thing, and simplifiying it gets you into all sorts of trouble.

Re: Moral Relativism - 06/19/06 22:41

Quote:

Its all quite subjective, but in the greater idea of whether or not morals are absolute, American slavery, murder, and the nazis are relevant. I could just use the more general use of the word 'murder', but then they might say that no culture universally accepts murder. Then I'd give the example of hitler and we'd be right back where we started.

This doesn't make much sense at all. Again you are claiming that the 'nazi-germany culture universally accepted murder', and you know this is nonsense. Infact, Matt told you this, but you seem to deliberately have missed it, or?

What exactly are you trying to find out through this thread? Like Doug said, what's the 'question'?

I think the debate has long ended, since you think there is something as 'moral absolutism', which quite clearly doesn't exist. And we think there is indeed moral relativism, infact the hitler example you keep bringing up is a good example of this, but would be flawed in a way, since you generalize to easy and don't see how it's relative. Not every german was wrong in that war you know...

And yep, an often heard 'excuse' for the nazi behavior was indeed that someone from top-down gave orders and they just executed them.

Quote:

I said that the Greek practices seemed to have no ill effect on society, or most poeple who took part..I'm not saying WE should view it as right.

That's what I meant with that Irish can't relativate.

Cheers

Re: Moral Relativism - 06/19/06 22:59

Quote:

I can see your point. But I'm not trying to appeal directly to emotion. Matt keeps bringing up liberal-friendly examples like homosexual pedophilia.

I can't see where calling pedophilia a liberal-friendly example does NOT appeal directly to emotions. But, all in all, you are behaving remarkably well for a such a hot-topic. I'm still wondering if you are actually arguing the same thing.

Moral Relativism, as far as I understand, is the idea that morals are not absolute but reflect a particular time/place/culture. While morals tend to reflex what's best for a particular society, it doesn't have to.

Quote:

American slavery is possibly a better example because its benefit to society is easier to recognize, even though its universally understood to be a bad thing.

This is a good example. Are you saying that American slavery is universally understood to be a "bad thing" morally? Back in the 18th century, a majority of American didn't think so at all. And, as much as I hate it, even today slavery is not universally understood to be morally bad. Isn't that Moral Relativism?

(Note: I think human slavery is morally bad, but I believe that is because of my up-bringing and not an absolute moral value everybody owns.)
Posted By: Marco_Grubert

Re: Moral Relativism - 06/20/06 00:23

Maybe the misunderstanding here is that Irish_Farmer thinks that accepting the fact that morals are relative to a culture means embracing their morality ?
Finding that cultures throughout time and space have different sets of rules does not show that these rules are all good. It just shows that there is not a general set of rules that is accepted as true everywhere and at every time (though laws against killing family members and incest are common to most civilizations).

I think most people would like to have absolute morals (obviously meaning _their_ morals) but that often there is no rational basis for condemning certain behaviors.

Re: Moral Relativism - 06/20/06 03:43

Something that is common to all societies through time is the general belief that their own way of life and beliefs are the best.

This is bad way of thinking in many ways, becasue it blinds one to good things from other cultures, and to the bad things your culture may do.

Re: Moral Relativism - 06/20/06 18:54

I think Moral Relativism, at least in it's basic definition, is real.

Now for the really tricky question, is there really such a thing as absolute morals? Things that are *always* good or *always* bad (even if a society thinks otherwise)? Or is everything relative? Can you have absolute morals without some powerful "overseer" (like God)?

Re: Moral Relativism - 06/20/06 19:10

Well the answer is clear: there is no absolute moral code. There are however common morals shared by most or all societies, such as prohibitions against murder or rape. These common rules appear to be arrived at independently, in all societies, for reasons of social survival. It would be impossible to maintain a tribal group, for instance, if rape, murder, and theft were allowed internally.

However, these rules seem to apply in certain circumstances, such as internally in a given society, and the same protections will often not be afforded to external groups or individuals. Thus the almost unverversal notion that it is "OK" to kill or steal from foreigners, or outsiders.

Therefore, when a group of poeple is considered sufficiently different to render them not "human", its becomes OK to slaughter them. This can be seen in all times and places, from ancient to modern.

HOWEVER:

There can and should be a higher morality. This would be a morality defined by cetain enlightened individuals, and can transcend the common "mob morality".

Re: Moral Relativism - 06/22/06 04:53

Quote:

I can't see where calling pedophilia a liberal-friendly example does NOT appeal directly to emotions.

Just homosexual pedophilia. I'd assume that if these were grown men having sex with teenage girls, people wouldn't be so tolerant.

They wouldn't rationalize it by calling it teaching.

For the time being, unless someone has an objection, I'm referring to relativism as "A theory, especially in ethics or aesthetics, that conceptions of truth and moral values are not absolute but are relative to the persons or groups holding them."

I believe that there are universal truths, even if we disagree on what they are.

The relativist also has a hard time because the idea itself is contradictory. Saying that all truth is relative is an absolute statement. But if that isn't absolutely true then that means that truth is absolute. Relativism makes no sense.

I understand what you guys are saying. Some people disagree on what is morally ok to do. And that's a fact of nature. But just because people don't agree, doesn't mean that there isn't an absolute truth. I'll illustrate below.

Quote:

This is a good example. Are you saying that American slavery is universally understood to be a "bad thing" morally? Back in the 18th century, a majority of American didn't think so at all. And, as much as I hate it, even today slavery is not universally understood to be morally bad. Isn't that Moral Relativism?

Ok. So then you admit why relativism is so dangerous. It says that slavery wasn't really bad. Since we disagree on what's right and wrong, blacks are just lucky that the ones who thought slavery were wrong won out in the end. That's the only truth of the matter. I hate to use an 'emotional' argument, but try telling a holocaust survivor that the holocaust wasn't absolutely wrong, but just that we think its wrong and 'good thing we won the war.'

Relativism says that since people disagree about slavery, no one is right. I say that even if we disagree, slavery is ALWAYS wrong.

Quote:

Maybe the misunderstanding here is that Irish_Farmer thinks that accepting the fact that morals are relative to a culture means embracing their morality ?

Nope. I doubt much would change for the time being if everyone were a relativist. But I find that some relativists are the most contradictory. They say no one is for sure right, and then spend their lives trying to change everyone else's morals to fit their own view better.

Quote:

Now for the really tricky question, is there really such a thing as absolute morals? Things that are *always* good or *always* bad (even if a society thinks otherwise)? Or is everything relative? Can you have absolute morals without some powerful "overseer" (like God)?

You're the only one who has actually managed to catch the point of everything I've been saying. They're off on a tangent about whether or not everyone agrees. I don't care if everyone agrees. The point is whether or not you're going to believe that some bad things really are bad (that the evil of slavery isn't just an illusion) or whether they're only bad because we all agree they're bad.

I just want the relativists to admit that's what they believe. But they seem to be pretty good at dodging around their own conclusions.

I mean, they have all but admitted it, but I want to hear them say it. It'll make happy that they at least aren't denying their own worldview to themselves.

Quote:

There can and should be a higher morality. This would be a morality defined by cetain enlightened individuals, and can transcend the common "mob morality".

I finally got it! The admission that there are absolute morals (in a relative sense, in other words whatever seems best at the time), and that it takes 'enlightened' people to tell the majority what they are. Interesting. This is why I resist relativism.

Its a dangerous position, especially when people like Matt hold it to be true. That's only a half-joke.

Re: Moral Relativism - 06/22/06 05:44

Quote:

Something that is common to all societies through time is the general belief that their own way of life and beliefs are the best.

This is bad way of thinking in many ways, becasue it blinds one to good things from other cultures, and to the bad things your culture may do.

I forgot to add that while you were trying to describe absolutism in this quote, you basically summed up in a nutshell your entire 'critical thinking in america' post. Where you're the only one who's right, and anyone who disagrees is ignorant, blah blah blah. Further evidence that some people with a relativist view are contradicting.

Re: Moral Relativism - 06/22/06 07:16

Not sure I follow your logic here...

Maybe thats because there isnt any?

Re: Moral Relativism - 06/22/06 19:45

Either you missed the point Irish, or you are just spoiling for a fight here. I'm not saying that Moral Relativism is a good thing, but that it does exist and can be used to explain a lot of things.
Posted By: Pappenheimer

Re: Moral Relativism - 06/22/06 20:39

On relativism:

In school we had a standard joke: "Everything is relativ!" meant: everything is equaly unimportant, nothing counts.
But, relativ means related. This means, it is connected within relations of more or less bigger contexts.
Coherence is the main term.
Taking Hitler as an example: he isolated his moral from the coherences of international agreements.
Relations and coherences can be discussed and lead to agreements, and people can base decisions and agreements and laws on it. And the value of these agreements raise with the respect of the participants who acts in accordance with these agreements. And the value of such agreements decrease with each violation which happen without having consequences for the violator.

In short, such "relativism" is the base of peace, the base of human rights etc.

And, it is a better base than any eternal instance of any group of the affected people, because it leads to balance of interests and powers although not everybody shares the same believes...

Re: Moral Relativism - 06/22/06 22:14

Quote:

Not sure I follow your logic here...

Maybe thats because there isnt any?

That's because the logic shot straight over your head. If you were actually able to grasp what I said, then you might have a response. But based on the lack of response, it would be logical to conclude that you have none.

You have nothing, Matt, except your petty insults.

But feel free to continue. You're making my job [of letting undecided spectators see how rediculous your worldview sounds in practice] much easier.

Quote:

Either you missed the point Irish, or you are just spoiling for a fight here. I'm not saying that Moral Relativism is a good thing, but that it does exist and can be used to explain a lot of things.

All you've proved is that people don't agree. Its as simple as this. You either ascribe to relativism, and say that slavery technically isn't wrong, or you ascribe to absolutism and say it is wrong even if some whiteys thought it was ok. There's no fence sitting on this one. It doesn't matter if people thought it was right. It either really is right, or it really is wrong.

I think that's why you guys seem to have such a hard time understanding what I'm saying. You aren't actually relativists. Its a very difficult position to hold. Relativism, in essence, is the acceptance of evil.

Relativists use the relativist position to debase the morality of others, and then restructure morality in a way that's more friendly for them. Its not that they don't believe in absolute morals (they believe in their own absolute morals, much like Matt does), its that they have an extreme distaste for the morals of others (much like Matt does).

In order to make their own minority morals more relevant, they have to create a moral 'vacuum'. In other words, if they can prove to people that all morals are relative, then people will be more likely to let their values change. If they make it seem like no one has morals, then their morals seem more 'real.'

You say that people thinking slavery was ok at one point proves that morals aren't absolute. That's jumping the gun a bit. You haven't proved there are no absolute morals, you've just proved we don't always agree on what's best.

In fact, to say that all truth is absolutely relative to the individual is to make an absolute statement. The position is self-defeating. If all truth really is absolutely relative, then that's an absolute truth. Its like writing the sentence, "This statement is false," on a piece of paper and trying to logically work it out. Its invalid.

Quote:

Taking Hitler as an example: he isolated his moral from the coherences of international agreements.

You're only able to say this because we won the war. Otherwise, the statement would work exactly opposite. Once again, you can't say relativism is true, and then tell me that Hitler did something wrong. All you're doing is changing the standard upon which we determine absolute truth.

What makes you more right than him? Because you're in the majority? Relativism says otherwise, so you sound more like an absolutist here.

Quote:

Relations and coherences can be discussed and lead to agreements, and people can base decisions and agreements and laws on it. And the value of these agreements raise with the respect of the participants who acts in accordance with these agreements. And the value of such agreements decrease with each violation which happen without having consequences for the violator.

What does this have to do with relativism?

Re: Moral Relativism - 06/23/06 07:26

Quote:

Quote:

What does this have to do with relativism?

Very much, although not much with the insulting reduction of its meanings and consequences of someone who has his concreted believes but less or no experiences in collaborating with atheists and no experiences in solving social conflicts.

Your imputation is that relativism is something which makes anything arbitrary - and that is wrong. That's what my post was about.
For an example, 'fairness' is a moral product of competiting individuels, not the product of any religion.

Another point:

You are implying that the opponents of your form of christian fundamentalism are "moral relativists", but when they begin to argue, you say that their arguments are results of an absolute value. What is not generally true. If you tried to take the position of others serious, you should take in account that that what you call 'absolute' is simply a constant within the coherences of relativism.
To avoid a new misunderstanding: 'constant' is meant as a stable 'variable' or 'long-range''variable' within socialrelationships.

Another (wrong) implication of your view on the so called "moral relativism" is, that it is necessarily individual, that it is an isolated decision principle of single human beings, but it is indeed a social based principle with the experience of human beings of their social constitution. And one 'moral' decision like that of Hitler has consequences in 'moral' decisions of others.

To take an example of a comparable evil, look at Stalin. He indeed established his power structure. This history is a bit too complicating to analyse its moral relations in short. But, why didn't one of the mightiest man within this power structure, Michael Gorbatschow rely on this power structure furthermore?

Re: Moral Relativism - 06/23/06 22:53

Quote:

Very much, although not much with the insulting reduction of its meanings and consequences of someone who has his concreted believes but less or no experiences in collaborating with atheists and no experiences in solving social conflicts.

I'm having a hard time grasping your meaning in this sentence. I'm not going to be a jerk and say why, but I think I did get part of what you said.

Are you saying that because I have no experience in resolving social conflict, I'm not allowed to have an opinion?

Quote:

Your imputation is that relativism is something which makes anything arbitrary - and that is wrong.

"A theory, especially in ethics or aesthetics, that conceptions of truth and moral values are not absolute but are relative to the persons or groups holding them."

That's a fancy way of saying that no one is right. This includes issues of racism, murder, or things as trivial as road rage, anger, and even what one eats.

Relativist try and get around this by saying they all agree that slavery is bad. And that's great, but then they aren't agreeing with relativism. The next day they could change their minds and say slavery was ok. And guess what? They'd be right...according to their ideology anyway. I shouldn't say they'd be right, because there's no such thing, but they wouldn't be wrong. Which is just as bad.

By definition, relativism makes EVERY moral viewpoint trivial. We may figure out something that works for us, but it really doesn't matter whether or not it works for us, its not worse or better than anything anyone else has ever agreed upon. To take it to an extreme, America is no more right now for outlawing slavery than it was for considering racial slavery a good thing.

I'm not the one saying relativism makes things trivial (it does, but I'm not pulling this out of my butt), I'm just pointing out the truth about the ideology. If you guys really believed in relativism, then I don't suppose you would have such a hard time accepting this, but I suspect none of you are true relativists. Some people hide behind relativism so that they can have an easier time pushing their own morals on others. Not all 'relativists' do this, but its more common than not. And I'm not specifically saying this is what you're doing. I'm just pointing out why relativism is so popular right now.

The Axis forces in WWII were absolutists, as were the Allies. We believed freedom was absolutely right, and they didn't (to put it simply). To take this to an even bigger extreme, all its going to take is for some idiot absolutist like Hitler to sneak in while all the 'good guys' are convinced there really is no right or wrong to completely turn the world on its head. But that's just my two cents.

I would like to extend my previous comment into our modern political climate, because I think this is happening to an extent right now. But that would be a mistake. I'd especially like to stay on topic, because it seems we're making progress.

Quote:

You are implying that the opponents of your form of christian fundamentalism are "moral relativists",

I don't remember saying this.

A lot of atheists are anti-christian. A lot of atheists are 'relativists'. It doesn't follow that all relativists are opponents to christians.

Quote:

but when they begin to argue, you say that their arguments are results of an absolute value.

I don't remember saying that either. Their arguments are a result of our inability to agree. But disagreements, as I've said, are a natural part of life. It doesn't follow that just because two people or groups disagree, both sides are right. I think it makes more sense that in some cases (many cases actually) when two sides disagree, one side is right. Relativism does not agree with the latter conclusion. That's the debate, so disagreements or arguments are irrelevant.

Any disagreement on the part of relativists that I point out are the fact that what they say isn't consistent with their theory. I believe the theory itself is logically self-defeating. However, this is why I ask the questions that I do, because the self-defeating nature of relativism is very apparent if you ask the right questions of relativists.

Quote:

you should take in account that that what you call 'absolute' is simply a constant within the coherences of relativism.

Again, we get into the messy argument over whether some of the more extreme disagreements had a side who was correct. Even relativists side with absolutists on this one. Which is why I conclude relativism is a moot ideology.

Quote:

Another (wrong) implication of your view on the so called "moral relativism" is, that it is necessarily individual,

Well, relativism is relative to a 'group.' But a group is very subjective. Most of my examples of morals are relative to an entire country or society. So that would constitute a group.

But technically, within one society there can be a disagreement, in which case either side could be said to be a group.

This gets even easier for me when you consider the relativism allows for different 'persons' to have disagreements that are relative. You guys are the ones who invented the idea that relativism only applies to social groups. You're apparently trying to create an arena where its harder for me to win , but even then its still difficult to justify your ideology.

Quote:

To take an example of a comparable evil, look at Stalin. He indeed established his power structure. This history is a bit too complicating to analyse its moral relations in short. But, why didn't one of the mightiest man within this power structure, Michael Gorbatschow rely on this power structure furthermore?

I don't know. But I have to wonder why it matters if Russian leaders changed their mind. Perhaps it has to do with pressure from the common people. After all, it was a big to do when the wall came down. People like freedom.

Re: Moral Relativism - 06/23/06 23:57

Quote:

I don't remember saying that either. Their arguments are a result of our inability to agree. But disagreements, as I've said, are a natural part of life. It doesn't follow that just because two people or groups disagree, both sides are right. I think it makes more sense that in some cases (many cases actually) when two sides disagree, one side is right. Relativism does not agree with the latter conclusion. That's the debate, so disagreements or arguments are irrelevant.

You still believe in absolutes and nothing but these non-existing absolutes. I doubt you will ever find out the true meaning of relativism, since according to you everything is either A or B and nothing in between or outside these two is possible, eventhough there are infact an infinite amount of possibilities...

Quote:

Any disagreement on the part of relativists that I point out are the fact that what they say isn't consistent with their theory. I believe the theory itself is logically self-defeating. However, this is why I ask the questions that I do, because the self-defeating nature of relativism is very apparent if you ask the right questions of relativists.

What's not consistent with our theory? It's not our view and our theory that have any inconsistencies, it's your view and our theory that collide, that's something totally different.

Self-defeating? Lol, uuhm yeah, and in your believe it's either "dead or alive", right? Not that you would understand... but there's a lot of relativism in the bible you know ...

Quote:

A lot of atheists are anti-christian. A lot of atheists are 'relativists'. It doesn't follow that all relativists are opponents to christians.

Oww come on, give me a break ... Generalizing is one thing, but please do so based upon some facts, which you are obviously not.

We are not anti-christian at all, we just disagree on what they believe, because we have good reasons to do so. It's not simply our opinion, it's based upon facts and evidence. I even dare to state that we know the christian views or most of them are in error. Again, show me one piece of evidence that God exists, proof to me that all science is wrong, proof to me that God has influence at all and is able to help in any way whatsoever, and then I'm talking about being able to do more than just be a 'invisible ear' when talking to yourself again ...

Cheers

Re: Moral Relativism - 06/24/06 03:52

Quote:

You still believe in absolutes and nothing but these non-existing absolutes.

I'll stop believing in absolutes when someone gives me a logical reason not to believe in absolutes. Of course, giving a logical reason to believe in relativism is kind of contradictory.

Quote:

I doubt you will ever find out the true meaning of relativism,

I apparently have a better grasp than the other relativists who consistently contradict their own theory, or say its based on 'social preferences' when its not defined that way.

Quote:

since according to you everything is either A or B and nothing in between or outside these two is possible

I didn't say EVERYTHING was. Can you guys go one post without putting words into my mouth? I just said that NOT EVERYTHING is relative.

Quote:

eventhough there are infact an infinite amount of possibilities...

Yes, an infinite ways to disagree proves that people disagree. Please explain to me how us disagreeing proves there are no absolutes. Explain how it proves anything except that we disagree.

Quote:

What's not consistent with our theory? It's not our view and our theory that have any inconsistencies, it's your view and our theory that collide, that's something totally different.

What you mean to say is that logic and your theory collide. I'm not even refuting relativism yet. I'm just trying to get you guys to stop fence sitting.

Quote:

What's not consistent with our theory? It's not our view and our theory that have any inconsistencies

Would you not agree that your theory states that no one is right, and that absolute truth does not exist (except as an illusion to people or groups)?

Assuming for the moment that you agree, you then have two choices. You can either be a relativist, and say that even though you think Hitler was wrong, he technically was not wrong, slavery technically was not wrong even if you believe it is.

Or you can admit that you do believe absolutes. In this case that slavery really was wrong, even if we thought it was right at one point, and that Hitler was wrong, even if German society at the time thought he was right.

You can't have it both ways. You can believe he's wrong, but according to your own theory, your view is relative, and he technically wasn't wrong. You have to admit that, or you have to call relativism bunk.

Quote:

Not that you would understand... but there's a lot of relativism in the bible you know ...

That's the weakest, most inane argument for relativism I've ever heard. But it does back up my theory that, for some people, relativism is a guise to establish a moral vacuum for people who don't like other's absolute morals. You can't logically establish relativism, but if you can attack those who believe in absolutes and make them seem wrong, then that's all the justification you need.

Quote:

We are not anti-christian at all,

Please read what I wrote. A lot of atheists are anti-christian. I didn't say all atheists, and I didn't say most atheists. Just a lot.

That's not stereotyping, its just recognizing a truth about some atheists.

In fact, the point of that statement was to refute that I was generalizing. Someone put words in my mouth, saying I thought relativists were christian opponents. I was trying to say that I don't think that's true.

I think most of them are just mislead.

Quote:

I even dare to state that we know the christian views or most of them are in error.

Eh, the alchemists were pretty certain they could turn lead into gold....

Quote:

Again, show me one piece of evidence that God exists, proof to me that all science is wrong, proof to me that God has influence at all and is able to help in any way whatsoever, and then I'm talking about being able to do more than just be a 'invisible ear' when talking to yourself again ...

Since you bring God into a discussion on relativism would I be mistaken in believing that you simply cannot justify absolute truth, as long as you're sure there is no God? What kind of foundation is that for a theory? If you can't seperate relativism from your judgment on the validity of the existence of God, then it might seem you don't believe in relativism for the right reasons. You believe it because you have to.

I don't want to be too forceful here, because that can lead to flaming and emotional arguments, but I hope some people see what I'm saying.

What God does in your life is personal. I can't prove God to you, because there are an infinite number of ways to rationalize Him out of existence. Even the most miraculous of comprehendable miracles will never prove He exists.

If you think that you need 'help', Jesus said, "Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest." [Matthew 11:28] There is only one way to God, and that is through Jesus. [John 14:6] Just call upon him with sincerety. If you ask for salvation, God won't ignore you.

Anyway, I didn't want to distract the topic. Just thought I would answer your question slightly. In the meantime, I'll be more than happy to stay on subject. We have other threads to discuss validity of believing in God.

Re: Moral Relativism - 06/24/06 07:15

Quote:

That's because the logic shot straight over your head. If you were actually able to grasp what I said, then you might have a response. But based on the lack of response, it would be logical to conclude that you have none.

You need to stop trying to be sophisticated, becasue it doesnt work.

Re: Moral Relativism - 06/24/06 15:09

Quote:

Are you saying that because I have no experience in resolving social conflict, I'm not allowed to have an opinion?

Quote:

Your imputation is that relativism is something which makes anything arbitrary - and that is wrong.

"A theory, especially in ethics or aesthetics, that conceptions of truth and moral values are not absolute but are relative to the persons or groups holding them."

That's a fancy way of saying that no one is right. This includes issues of racism, murder, or things as trivial as road rage, anger, and even what one eats.

These few lines are showing me that you answer before you understand. You even answer before you read the whole post!

My advice:

Please please read first an answer as a whole, then think about it, and after you get the coherence and relations within the thought (or thoughts) and what is meant, then answer!

My last two posts were about that 'relative' does NOT mean 'arbitrary'!

The only responses that I get by you show that you completely ignored or missunderstood nearly anything that I wrote!

'Meaning' is the 'thought' within a post, not isolated sentences or part of sentences.

[Your way of arguing makes no sense at all. What you are doing is more like a reflex movement.]

Re: Moral Relativism - 06/24/06 22:13

Quote:

You need to stop trying to be sophisticated, becasue it doesnt work.

I am once again floored! You have wowed me with your brilliant observations.

Quote:

Please please read first an answer as a whole, then think about it, and after you get the coherence and relations within the thought (or thoughts) and what is meant, then answer!

My last two posts were about that 'relative' does NOT mean 'arbitrary'!

You said, "Your imputation is that relativism is something which makes anything arbitrary - and that is wrong." So I was responding to the "meaning" that relativism makes everything (actually just truth) arbitrary, not that relative means arbitrary. Relativism does make everything arbitrary. But relative doesn't literally mean arbitrary.

Quote:

The only responses that I get by you show that you completely ignored or missunderstood nearly anything that I wrote!

I thought I was responding literally to every word you wrote down. I make it a point to try and read an opponent's post as thoroughly as possible.

Quote:

[Your way of arguing makes no sense at all. What you are doing is more like a reflex movement.]

I've tried to establish why, logically, relativism is self-defeating, and that you guys probably aren't even relativists.

The only response I've gotten is, "No, relativism isn't self defeating, there are no absolutes." And, "You're not understanding my words."

So your way of arguing makes no sense to me. You guys won't admit that you're either hypocrites (you take absolute positions on things when there are no absolutes), or you won't admit that yeah, some of the really bad things people have done, technically aren't bad.
Posted By: MathewAllen

Re: Moral Relativism - 06/25/06 03:58

OK.

Morals exist. I said it.

They are not there because some big stupid god said they are.
They are not part of the universe like some lame fantasy novel.
They are certainly not built into some cosmic justice system.

Morals are a byproduct of love.

Well, more a byproduct of fear, as anyone can see by the way many religious folk see them.

Let me explain....

First of all, love:
We all have people we love, we all have things we love. Most healthy people love themselves. We all have a grudging love for our tribe, our society, even the rebels, who always seem more in love with the concept then the reality... but anyways, we all love. Love being merely a word for our midns forming a strong conceptual connection between our well-being and the well-being of something else - at times to the point where it's seen as more important. ie. you love a girl, truly love her, you want to see her happy more than you want to be with her.

Now, morals:
Morals, morals, morals...
look at every moral you have, and you can find some link to protecting something you love. I challenge you to submit one which is not so.
Example: murder - if you kill, you may be destroying your loved ones' views of you, you may be destroying your own life, you may even think so far as to realize the destruction you are having on society.
You abhorr murder in others because you fear that someday it might happen to you, or one you love, and even thinking that sends shivers down your spine. You may even experience empathy. The ability to realize that other people would also feel those shivers, and that those terrible feelings are nothing to the sudden disconnection of the actual loss of a loved one.

Of course, added to this for theists - is the fact that they fear the loss of their salvation, that they will be less in their lord's eyes, and worst of all, that they may be denied reunion with loved ones beyond the grave... Does this make them 'morally superior'??

No. For atheists, the fear is just as great, for we feel a cold certainty that we will NEVER see anyone we lose again. That any life we ruin is gone forever. We think how we would feel in these situations, and it is not pleasent.

When you love nothing but yourself, or when you believe that the only way to achieve the love of others is trough respect, and thus by force, this is when you can become 'amoral'.

Hitler? He was deluded. He believed that he was destroying all those lives to create a foundation for a future where all would be happy, where his love (power) would be permenant. The rage i mentioned before was there as well - I think he truly believed that the jews were destroying everything he loved. It's sad in many ways.

Are morals relative? The answer is apparent. They are relative from person to person based on what they love, and what they fear to lose, but some are more-or-less constant between societies because the vast majority of humans - when it comes right down to it - don't want to live in a world where anyone can kill them or a loved one on a whim.

Re: Moral Relativism - 06/25/06 04:49

I think Matthew Allen is wrong here, morals are not a byproduct of love. Moral codes likely developed as a needed set of rules of behavior in small tribal groups.

Re: Moral Relativism - 06/25/06 05:49

Quote:

OK.

Morals exist. I said it.

I can't respond in full tonight. But even relativists think that morals exist. Are you saying you believe in absolute morals, or relative morals? Because near the end of your post, and actually through most of the rest of it, it sounds like you're saying 'relative'.

Quote:

I think Matthew Allen is wrong here, morals are not a byproduct of love. Moral codes likely developed as a needed set of rules of behavior in small tribal groups.

We all know, and its only because you still believe in a literal interpretation of your creation myth.
Posted By: exile

Re: Moral Relativism - 06/25/06 06:04

I am sort of new to this whole thing and it is my first post in this topic, but here it goes. Morals are a byproduct of social norms. Social norms are things which are consitered normal in society. Now, morals are the unforced laws that a society has to keep social norms in place. For example, in our society we would consider eating with our hands to be rude and barbarrac. But to another society, it may be a norm that everyone does. Morals vary from different cultures all the way down to different families. Morals are not absolute because of their variance. HOWEVER, Mores are absolute. Mores are pretty much morals, but on a global scale. Laws are created to prevent mores from happening. Things like murder, child rape, or robbery, are considered mores. In conclusion, Morals = relative, Mores = absolute. I took a sociology class which we debated these types of subjects, so i'm pretty sure I know what i'm talking about. But, if anyone finds me wrong, please let me know. Thank you.
Posted By: testDummy

Re: Moral Relativism - 06/25/06 09:09

Quote:

What you are doing is more like a reflex movement.

Quoted Pappenheimer.
Looks more like a dangerous, self-destructive impulse or compulsion to me, but what do I know?

Although I wouldn't have used the term "love", I like MathewAllen's post and I believe there is some truth to it. (It contains a principle or two in common with what I had written earlier but didn't post.)

Quote:

Quoted Matt_Aufderheide.

From my idiot's perspective:
I don't really see a true conflict with some principles that were hinted at in MathewAllen's post and what was stated in Matt_Aufderheide's post.

I for one, do not want myself, nor my mate(s), nor my offspring to be raped and/or killed (not in preferred order) by other members of my species (edit: not by whales either).
I would rather not be a member of a society which allows such acts.

I think that societies may have "evolved" over time to support somewhat "absolute" rules which are beneficial to the survival of the members of those societies or groups (specific members of the species) and those which are also beneficial to the survival of the species as a whole. I think that a society that does not support rules which are productive or beneficial for the species, may be consumed by a society with better, more productive rules. (Please cite examples where creatures which are a members of a herd, kill other members of their herd periodically or often. Now please debate whether or not these "herd creatures", which may or may not have forms of consciousness, debate "absolute" or "relative" morals. Deduct 5000pts if anyone mentions ants for some reason. Deduct another 2500pts if someone states that "herd creatures" rape each other often, and that, for human beings, rape is a good means by which to reproduce.)

Without some form of natural empathy or sympathy, an individual may not protect its mate(s) and offspring and may not supply its mate(s) and offspring with needed resources, food, shelter, etc. If there is, indeed, some form of natural or innate form of empathy or sympathy, it is maybe not so difficult to conceive of instances where empathy and sympathy are extended to other somewhat unrelated members of the species. To some degree, if unrelated members sacrifice excess time and resources, those resources which can be spared without serious detrimental effects to related members, to aid other unrelated members in need of such resources, then such behavior (when replicated) might be beneficial to the survival of the species as a whole.

I'm a fool, but I still think that its absurd, a waste of time, utterly ridiculous, a true mark of insanity, to try to get anyone to claim that, Hitler and slavery are only wrong based on context, if the current applicable contexts (personal + group) force such to be absolutely wrong for the groups individuals belong to and themselves. I can not pretend that my context has no meaning, nor can I completely, immediately, separate myself from my context...not even to make absolute statements such as "slavery is only wrong based on context" or "Hitler is only wrong within context." (edit:This may be a general limitation of being a simpleton which might be overcome in another paragraph.) Sorry, but both slavery and Hitler may still be absolutely wrong from my context. Morals and beliefs may be generally relative, but relative to me, my morals and beliefs may be absolutes.

@Irish_Farmer
Really, from the dummy's perspective, what you seem to be trying to do, looks more like a setup for some form of "catch the stupid" trap. I'm probably just dumb enough to try to spring it..."Ok, I'm a super, mega, ultra, platinum, gold, die-hard, true-blood, professional version bad kitty...I mean relativist (whatever that might be...strange...some dictionaries don't have an entry for it). There is no right or wrong. If Hitler had won, and at the time he just so happened to be a Confederate general, killing "subhumans" that don't make good slaves, might now be the "right" thing to do. If I take everything out of context, including myself, Hitler and slavery are at the very top of the "right tree", and when mixed together, are like peanut butter and chocolate...two great tastes that taste great together. Again, Hitler is only wrong because he lost the war blah blah blah. I reckon, raping your jewish slaves (a good way to reproduce (edit: more slaves?)) is only "wrong" because raping slaves is illegal in these here parts (and specifically over yonder at 2:42 p.m. on Tuesdays)."

Idiots like myself, can only wonder if something else happens now.
Posted By: exile

Re: Moral Relativism - 06/25/06 09:14

I completely agree with you, I feel that such acts are in fact wong. No, not just wrong, pure evil. Hitler was a man who made crimes againt humanity itself by conducting a genocide of the jewish people. He was also contradictory in the fact that the rules of the "utopia" which he so desperately tried to create, wouldn't even be able to apply to him.

Re: Moral Relativism - 06/25/06 21:01

Quote:

I've tried to establish why, logically, relativism is self-defeating, and that you guys probably aren't even relativists.

So, your idea of relativism is wrong. It is your isolated creation of a meaning which doesn't relate to its actual meaning.

Quote:

So your way of arguing makes no sense to me. You guys won't admit that you're either hypocrites (you take absolute positions on things when there are no absolutes), or you won't admit that yeah, some of the really bad things people have done, technically aren't bad.

I'm absolute precisely in my thoughts.

Quote:

I thought I was responding literally to every word you wrote down.

...and that is exactly what I discribed as a completely wrong way of discussion, because you take it literally, you can't get the thought. Within a thought a sentence gets its precise meaning by its context! Or, to explain it the other way round, each sentence can have a range of meanings, and only through the context within the other sentences it gets its precise meaning.
(By the way, if you don't understand this, you won't ever understand a theory, because the words in a theory at its best are like x,y,z in a big mathematical function, wherein you finally after reading the whole theory understand the meaning of x,y,z, because of the 'context' of the 'function'.)

Let's compare it to coding:
Can someone understand a line of code without knowing the other lines? Maybe, sometimes. But, at least, the more complicating this code is, the more you have to investigate this single line of code _within the context_ of the whole code and its functions. Now, imagine an AI code. Is it more complicating than intelligence in reality, or less?

[My question to others than Irish Farmer: Can you understand me? Or is it my fault that Irish Farmer cannot understand what I write?]

Re: Moral Relativism - 06/25/06 22:03

There are about seven posts which amount to the same, tired, irrelevant argument that people disagree. How many times do I have to say that it doesn't matter whether or not people disagree?

Quote:

Really, from the dummy's perspective, what you seem to be trying to do, looks more like a setup for some form of "catch the stupid" trap.

It may seem that way, but all I'm asking people to do is pick a side. Which they seem completely and utterly incapable of doing. They avoid my question at all cost, because a relativist who isn't completely out of his mind can't answer it without making himself sick. Many of you have 'answered' it by giving me your opinion of Hitler. But I'm not asking your opinion of Hitler and what he did, I'm asking what your perception of the truth of his morals are.

Quote:

If Hitler had won, and at the time he just so happened to be a Confederate general, killing "subhumans" that don't make good slaves, might now be the "right" thing to do. If I take everything out of context, including myself, Hitler and slavery are at the very top of the "right tree", and when mixed together, are like peanut butter and chocolate...two great tastes that taste great together.

There is no gradient of right and wrong when it comes to relativism. There is no 'right tree'. Its all relative. Hence, relativism.

But it sounds like you're saying its easy for us to say slavery was wrong, as long as we aren't a dictator like Hitler? That's kind of fuzzy logic. As I recall, the confederates weren't Hitler, and they still thought slavery was ok. What makes you more right than them?

Quote:

So, your idea of relativism is wrong.

Ok, you made a claim, now can you back it up? I pulled an exact quote of the definition of relativism. I can post it again if you want. You can argue my definition of relativism, but you can't escape its implications unless you can prove I'm somehow wrong about it.

Quote:

and that is exactly what I discribed as a completely wrong way of discussion, because you take it literally, you can't get the thought.

I'm sorry, you're not my girlfriend so I'm not going to translate what you 'meant to say' out of what you actually said.

I don't really see many other ways to take what you said. If you feel that there's an underlying thought to what you're saying, and you want me to grasp it better, find a better way to communicate it.

Can I get an answer to the question? Was Hitler absolutely wrong, or was he only relatively wrong? Or-Is racial slavery absolutely wrong or is it only relatively wrong? Its a simple question.

If you have a problem with my definition of relativism then please point it out. Don't just say, "You're wrong."

Re: Moral Relativism - 06/26/06 00:26

Let me sum up here what I've tried to say, in a less... elaborate... way.
1) Morals exist
2) Everyone creates their own morals based on their needs, social pressures etc.
3) Even the worst acts in history were either almost definetly seen as morally right by the perpetrators

Here matt would say: morals are not created for the individual! they are created for the species/society

And Irish would say: Eloquent post, but you didn't answer whether there are absolute morals, or relative. Remember if you pick relative hitler was a good guy.

So.

Relative morals.

Well, of course.

If there is one thing we've found out about this world, it's that the only constant is that there are no absolutes, no constants in this universe.

What about mathematical constants, you ask.
They almost unimaginably slowly change. At least one of them does. A very fundamental one. So why can't the others? It's just recently been discovered, but it's true that the fine-structures constant is changing inexorably slowly.

Anyways...

The thing is, I'm not saying hitler was right. I'm not saying mussolini was right. I'm certainly not saying Bush is right. I'm saying that nothing is inherently wrong OR right. It's people who decide what is right and what is wrong. We all agree hitler was wrong. Therefore he was wrong in our frame of reference. That's all that really matters.

Besides (jokingly) maybe some alien race is looking at us right now, the destruction we wreak on the world, and figuring anything that kills millions of us is morally right?
Posted By: testDummy

Re: Moral Relativism - 06/26/06 00:55

Quote:

They avoid my question at all cost, because a relativist who isn't completely out of his mind can't answer it without making himself sick.

Quoted Irish_Farmer.
Are you claiming that "relativists", based on your definition of the word, which I can't seem to find entries for in some dictionaries, can't even answer your question without either admitting to being sanity-impaired or otherwise regurgitating their last meal eaten? You expect "relativists" that answer your question should either waste (resources) food (I know that this is not what you meant) or otherwise appear to be "out of their mind"? So you want to either make "relativists" feel sick, maybe because you are having temporary sadistic impulses, or you want to continue the discussion with those that are "out of their mind", which might give you an unfair advantage?

According to your definitions, which may be incorrect or skewed maybe: (I've read the whole thread but please post your definitions again.)
*sometimes a "true" relativist may be out of his mind
*sometimes a "true" relativist may feel sick

Quote:

It may seem that way, but all I'm asking people to do is pick a side. Which they seem completely and utterly incapable of doing.

Are you repeatedly surprised that they find this difficult to do? Are you repeating the same actions and expecting different results?
Are you validating your viewpoint and definition of "relativism" with what appears to be, from your perspective, the expected non-reponses or invalid responses received for your questions? Do you bother to question your definition of "relativism"?
Maybe you should be happy if you are getting the invalid responses you expected?

I think that there might be some misunderstandings about what you mean by "relativism" and "relativists".
I think some may find motivations to argue against "your absolutism (the belief in vodka)" because of history (on the Conitec forums or elsewhere) with your identity.

Quote:

But it sounds like you're saying its easy for us to say slavery was wrong, as long as we aren't a dictator like Hitler? That's kind of fuzzy logic. As I recall, the confederates weren't Hitler, and they still thought slavery was ok. What makes you more right than them?

Quoted Irish_Farmer.
I am not a good communicator. I tried to invent a nonsensical context in an attempt to pretend to answer a question that otherwise might or might not make me sick and/or prove that I am sometimes out of my mind.

Hold on! I need to check my bible to determine whether or not I want to be raped by an entire professional basketball team today. (I am heterosexual and male.) Wait just a second! I need to rexamine my bible to try to figure out whether or not I want my offspring to be brutally murdered and dismembered with a fork tomorrow.

Quote:

Can I get an answer to the question? Was Hitler absolutely wrong, or was he only relatively wrong? Or-Is racial slavery absolutely wrong or is it only relatively wrong? Its a simple question.

Quote:

There is no gradient of right and wrong when it comes to relativism. There is no 'right tree'. Its all relative. Hence, relativism.

Quoted Irish_Farmer.
Code:

try {
System.out.println("trying to initiate next stage for thread...");
Hitler is relatively wrong or Hitler is neither wrong nor right.
Slavery is relatively wrong or slavery is neither wrong nor right.
} catch (threadInCirclesException tice) {
thread.exit();
} catch (regurgitationException re) {
blameItOnTheCatsOrGodOrIndigestion(re);
} catch (starkRavingMadException srme) {
streak();
self.medicate();
}

Quote:

My question to others than Irish Farmer: Can you understand me? Or is it my fault that Irish Farmer cannot understand what I write?

Quoted Pappenheimer.
This might have been a rhetorical question. For the most part, I seem to able to understand what you write, and I believe that I interpret it correctly (I don't find it difficult to interpret it), although I may not actually interpret it correctly in all instances. Often, unlike what I write, what you write appears to make a lot of sense.

Re: Moral Relativism - 06/26/06 01:00

I agree with Matthew Allen here. This is good summing up of a rationalist approach to morality.

The key point is, that since morality is relative, we can always reserve the right to *modify* our moral thinking. This flexibility is needed for progress and social health. The societies with the most rigid morals are the most backwards and self-destructive, such as the Islamic world.

For instance, we have changed our views on things like homoexuality, slavery, racism, etc. In the not-so-distant past, homosexuality was almost universally regarded as immoral and an aberrant abomination. Now we are somewhat more tolerant, and many poeple view it as an acceptable lifestyle, even if they dont neccessarily approve of it. This saves much pain and suffering for many poeple.

Racism was regarded as a normal way of life in many parts of the country, and blacks were regarded as inferior beings. This too has changed somewhat, because we have, in part, changed our views on how all poeple should be treated, even if they are not like the majority.

What about torture, which was once believed to be acceptable? Now we have redefined, in the main, our moral stance on this. Capital punishment too has been seen in the past as appropriate, but now morally progressive regions like Europe now view it is immoral.

There are of course many other exmaples that be examined, but the point is, flexiblie morality is needed in a complex society--the old monolithic, top-down system is outdated and destructive in modern societies, as in Iran, where a women can be murdered for adultery, etc.

Morality MUST be view as relative and flexible. To view it otherwise is immoral in my view.

Re: Moral Relativism - 06/26/06 01:07

Quote:

Okey, let's try to make clear what I'm saying by this:
Wether you state, that it is relatively wrong or absolute wrong, doesn't make a difference, if you don't have the power to prevent yourself and others against it. But, if you have the power to prevent yourself and others against it, at least when you collaborate with others against it then you have a chance to get an agreement on the base of a moral relativism, while you don't have a chance to get an agreement on the base of an absolutistic moral, if the collaborators are of a different culture and believe.

If I say, it is _relatively_ wrong, you make your conclusions that in your opinion are unavoidable, while I see in your threads that you are not even getting an idea about what is moral relativism in its consequences. (Maybe, it is because you have no idea, what moral absolutism means in its consequences.)

By the way, dictionaries and definitions are 'no laws of meaning', they are only written by people, as any other books, too. So, don't build your knowledge on dictionaries and definitions only.

Re: Moral Relativism - 06/26/06 01:13

Quote:

I agree with Matthew Allen here. This is good summing up of a rationalist approach to morality.

my name has one t.

< /endspam>

Re: Moral Relativism - 06/26/06 03:19

Quote:

The thing is, I'm not saying hitler was right. I'm not saying mussolini was right. I'm certainly not saying Bush is right. I'm saying that nothing is inherently wrong OR right. It's people who decide what is right and what is wrong. We all agree hitler was wrong. Therefore he was wrong in our frame of reference. That's all that really matters.

Ok! So you admit that technically Hitler wasn't wrong. I'm glad I finally got someone to pick a side. We can move on from here, then. But only after I respond to the other posts. I haven't read what they say yet.

Quote:

Are you claiming that "relativists", based on your definition of the word, which I can't seem to find entries for in some dictionaries, can't even answer your question without either admitting to being sanity-impaired or otherwise regurgitating their last meal eaten?

No, I think they would be sane if they said the Hitler was for sure wrong. But I shouldn't belittle a side while at the same time trying to get people to pick sides. Pretend I didn't do that.

Quote:

Are you repeatedly surprised that they find this difficult to do? Are you repeating the same actions and expecting different results?

This whole debate, up until the post before yours has basically involved both of us doing the same thing over and over again. But it worked, I finally got someone to not only admit to being a relativist, but to admit to the consequences of the belief. So I guess it was kind of worth it.

Quote:

Do you bother to question your definition of "relativism"?

Its not my definition. I got it from dictionary.com. Did you find one that contradicts mine?

Quote:

Some attacks on the bible to try and validate my opinions by attacking yours

Yeah, I've already responded to this numerous times.

Quote:

Okey, let's try to make clear what I'm saying by this:
Wether you state, that it is relatively wrong or absolute wrong, doesn't make a difference, if you don't have the power to prevent yourself and others against it. But, if you have the power to prevent yourself and others against it, at least when you collaborate with others against it then you have a chance to get an agreement on the base of a moral relativism, while you don't have a chance to get an agreement on the base of an absolutistic moral, if the collaborators are of a different culture and believe.

If I say, it is _relatively_ wrong, you make your conclusions that in your opinion are unavoidable, while I see in your threads that you are not even getting an idea about what is moral relativism in its consequences. (Maybe, it is because you have no idea, what moral absolutism means in its consequences.)

By the way, dictionaries and definitions are 'no laws of meaning', they are only written by people, as any other books, too. So, don't build your knowledge on dictionaries and definitions only.

Still not answering it. The definition of relativism is pretty self evident. You keep saying not to believe the definition I have, but why not? Give me a reason.

I build my knowledge on the obvious. I only used the dictionary definition to get the specifics ironed out. But relativism is pretty self-evident.

Anyway, now that we have the admission from a relativist that indeed, Hitler technically wasn't wrong, we can move on from there.

I'm not going to go the obvious route and question your belief that Hitler, while opposed to your illusion of the truth, is still not wrong.

But. I want to get to the first point, and I'm going to wrap this up quick because I want to do something besides this tonight.

Relativism holds that all truths are relative to the people holding them. But in order to accept that belief, you have to believe the absolute truth that all things are relative. Don't you think this is contradictory.

And we'll go from there.

Re: Moral Relativism - 06/26/06 03:39

Quote:

Relativism holds that all truths are relative to the people holding them. But in order to accept that belief, you have to believe the absolute truth that all things are relative. Don't you think this is contradictory.

My philosophy for a lot of things is that in life, it's not 1, or 0, it's something else. Not black or white, not even gray. Maybe cyan. I can of course see the use's of digital reasoning, but anyways... enough musing.

We're talking Moral Relativism.
we're not debating that all truths are relative. I say that all morals are, since everyone builds their own.

It's quite different from what you suggested - what you suggested I supported in fact - there.

Even if I was to say all truth is relative, it wouldn't be so much that there's a rule per-say that there are no hardcoded truths, it's a lack of hard-coding. Just like, a stupid example, in a society that has no law against wearing red, there does not have to be a law that you must wear red.

Same goes for moral relatavism. Which isn't effected by your logic paradox anyone since the idea that all morals are relative is not a moral in itself.

As a side note, please don't continue with this truth being relative buissness. I really don't want to go there, since it gets into complicated philosophy involving definition of selves, objects, actions, and time - even if i were to say that it is fundamentally true that I just hit the e key on my keyboard... so lets stick to morals, since that's the threads topic

Re: Moral Relativism - 06/26/06 04:12

Quote:

In philosophy, moral relativism takes the position that moral or ethical propositions do not reflect absolute and universal moral truths, but instead make claims relative to social, cultural, historical or personal references.

That's wikipedia. Morality and truth are rather intertwined. I believe relativism is accepted, because people don't believe there is any absolute truths. They see people disagreeing and say, "Why should any of them be any more right than anyone else?"

I don't think its an accident that theists often believe in absolutes, and atheists do not. Theists see something greater to the universe. A purpose, or a design. So they feel that it would be logical to believe that (even if they get it wrong every now and then, its only because they're disobeying a greater standard). Atheists view the universe as accident, without purpose and meaning. We can never get it wrong, because there is no right. So by extension our perception of truth and meaning are all based on accidents. Maybe you can correct me where I'm wrong.

This is why relativists keep mentioning that people can't agree. To an atheist, humanity is the ultimate cognitive power in the universe (in a sense). So whatever we decide, is true, even if it contradicts what other's decide.

However, based on both of those meanings to relativism (moral relativism is the same as relativism because morality is a lot like truth), you must assert that in order for your view of relativism to make sense and in order to apply it to morality and truth in general, you have to assert that its absolutely true.

Truth is an unavoidable topic of relativism. But I don't think it has anything to do with our selves, or objects, actions, etc directly. Truth is roughly defined as:

Quote:

Conformity to fact or actuality.
A statement proven to be or accepted as true.
Sincerity; integrity.
Fidelity to an original or standard.

Reality; actuality.
often Truth That which is considered to be the supreme reality and to have the ultimate meaning and value of existence

It needn't be complicated. You can talk about truth without worrying about physical actions like hitting a keyboard key. In this case, we're talking about the truth of morals. Moral relativism works on the principle that the truth of morality is relative to persons or groups. So we can view truth in the context of morals, and it would be preferrable, because any other kind of truth is, frankly, irrelevant.

In other words, in regards to truth, I believe that in order to believe relativism, you must admit that all truth is really subject to our own experience and choices. That there is no ultimate truth to anything we believe. The difference in actions like hitting a keyboard key is that there isn't any room for relativism. Either the key moves, or it doesn't. And we can study it. However, non-physical truths are subject to our own subjective experience, and so relativism says that they technically only exist in our minds. Much like evolution asserts we evolved God in our mind. We made up our own perceptions of truth, and thus no one is right except in their own minds.

Do you disagree?

Re: Moral Relativism - 06/26/06 04:25

At the moment I'm rather tired, but I think that one of my problems with your argument that I must accept an absolute truth that there are none, before I may say that there are none, is that I see it more as a vaccuum of truths. It's difficult to articulate, since we're taught in terms of the concept of truths and untruths...

Yeah I'm too tired to be eloquent. I'll be back though.

Re: Moral Relativism - 06/26/06 11:42

Quote:

Nope. I don't have to believe that "absolute truth that all things are relative", because there are still things which are unrelated, I see them, but I can only manage them, when I ignore them and rely on other things insteed or when I act 'as if' they are related.

You can proceed trying to find the final contradiction, but most of philosophical proofs lead to paradoxes. If we had eternal lifetime, this might worry me, but life, as it is, urges: when you have a baby you can't begin to study to find out the best pedagogical approach, when you are working you have to take in account the time and effort and money as conditions of your thinking and acting.

[If you love to discuss only for fun, and not because you think there are points to be considered because of our lifes, then I'm wrong within this thread, because I was already bored 20 years ago, when it came to these sort of discussions which had no strong relation to reality.]

Re: Moral Relativism - 06/26/06 21:18

Quote:

Nope. I don't have to believe that "absolute truth that all things are relative", because there are still things which are unrelated, I see them, but I can only manage them, when I ignore them and rely on other things insteed or when I act 'as if' they are related.

You're going to have to restate this, because I didn't get this in the least. Relativism doesn't say that all things are relative. It says conceptions of morality and truth are relative to the persons or groups that hold them.

But if that's true, then its absolutely true, in which case it isn't true.

Quote:

You can proceed trying to find the final contradiction, but most of philosophical proofs lead to paradoxes.

Bah, that's such a copout. Philosophical positions may lead to paradoxes, but they normally aren't paradoxes themselves.

Quote:

but I think that one of my problems with your argument that I must accept an absolute truth that there are none,

You guys are the ones saying relativism is an absolute truth. If you want to say that relativism isn't absolutely true, then go ahead because you'll just have defeated your own philosophy.

Quote:

before I may say that there are none, is that I see it more as a vaccuum of truths.

But if its absolutely true that there is a vacuum of truth, then there is no vacuum of truth because its true that there's a vacuum of truth.

Re: Moral Relativism - 06/26/06 23:51

Quote:

Bah, that's such a copout. Philosophical positions may lead to paradoxes, but they normally aren't paradoxes themselves.

This from someone who then says:
Quote:

You guys are the ones saying relativism is an absolute truth

This is nonsensical...

No one is saying relativism is an absolute truth, you just use bizare extremes to attemp to reduce our arguments.

Anyway, regardless of that, how do you respond to my earlier point, that morality ought to flexible, to allow chnaging moral standards to suit various present and future circumstances? If all morality is absolute, then it can never change.

Who then determines the absolute moral code? You? The Bible? Because as shown before, the Bible is full of contradictory moral statements. On one hand, the OT says we should murder homosexuals, and Jesus in the NT says "Let he who is without sin cast the first stone" (paraphrased).

The Bible then implicitly confirms that morality is relative; it is dependent on context.
Posted By: ICEman

Re: Moral Relativism - 06/27/06 00:02

I find the most basic and unshakable form of morality is the simplest.

For example.. the ten commandments (oh I know I am I gonna get it for this but):

Thou shalt not kill

This does not contain any ambiguity. It does not say..thou shalt not kill...humans... or thou shalt not kill.. animal. It says Thou shalt not kill.

Meaning.. Dont kill...anything which lives.

This is because.. you wouldnt want someone to kill you..right? it's painful and permanent.

The best way to evaluate what is right and what is wrong is to truly put yourself on the recieving end of the questionable infraction..and evaluate whether or not you'd like them to do that infraction to you, you being the victim or recieving end of immediately subsequences.

The next time you ask.. "I wonder if there are acceptions to " thou shalt not kill/steal/ covet someones partner" because its so short a more that it appears elastic.. ask yourself.. if you were a bug, other man, other woman..would you want to be killed/ stolen from/ or have someone take you husband/wife.

If your answer as applies to yourself contains no ambigiuity, neither should your position about the activity whos morality youre questning.

We read into things and try to find elasticities and loopholes because its our nature to lean toward the wicke,d but in reality, simple right and wrong are not open to interpretation.. as they woulndt be open to interpretation if you were the victim or subject to be "questionably" wronged.

I find myself doing all sorts of wrongs.. on a daily basis sometimes.. but thats not because I dont know theyre wrong, or have to think about it.

Sadly I operate on a different system..one which includes good..evil..neccesary and unneccesary evil . These are personal things tho. I know right from wrong in most everything I do..but the above is where choice plays a part in me believing one thing and doing another .

Re: Moral Relativism - 06/27/06 00:15

But in the same OT, it prescribes death for homosexuals and others... the Bible itself is morally contradictory. And god kills poeple left and right ..the pillar of salt and all that jazz.. so if god doesnt obey his own commandments, what good are they?

Re: Moral Relativism - 06/27/06 01:22

Quote:

This is nonsensical...

No one is saying relativism is an absolute truth

But if relativism isn't absolutely true, then that means there are absolutes. So you're still wrong.

Quote:

you just use bizare extremes to attemp to reduce our arguments.

No, I'm using logic.

These aren't bizarre extremes. If relativism is true, then its an absolute truth, and it defeats itself because it says there are no absolute truths. If relativism isn't absolutely true, then by the definition of relativism there must be absolute truths. That's not extreme, its just common sense.

Quote:

Anyway, regardless of that, how do you respond to my earlier point, that morality ought to flexible, to allow chnaging moral standards to suit various present and future circumstances?

Flexible in what way? Can you give an example?

Quote:

Who then determines the absolute moral code? You? The Bible? Because as shown before, the Bible is full of contradictory moral statements. On one hand, the OT says we should murder homosexuals, and Jesus in the NT says "Let he who is without sin cast the first stone" (paraphrased).

This topic is relativism (and by extension absolutism) not the bible. Let's just get down whether or not relativism or absolutism makes more sense, and we can go from there.

Re: Moral Relativism - 06/27/06 06:17

Morality has to be flexible, partly becasue it must change to accept new ideas. For instance, homosexuality was considered widely immoral in the past, now most popel accept as morally ok, even if they dont approve of it themselves. This is an example of how flexible morality can save many poeple a lot of pain.

And, there is no one source everyone can agree on to establish an absolute morality, so therefore, any absolute moral code has to be imposed on everyone, making the whole system corrupt.

Re: Moral Relativism - 06/27/06 18:27

If people find homosexuality to be wrong, what harm did that do? I think you're attributing the hatefilled actions of the closeminded minority of people with anyone who says homosexuality is wrong.

So, let's say that instead of society saying homosexuality is ok, we all just agreed that even if we think its wrong to be homosexual, its just as wrong to hate someone for being homosexual. That would have saved all sorts of pain. What would be the difference?

Besides that it wouldn't have changed any absolutes. Hating people (for any reason) could just as well be an absolute.
Posted By: ICEman

Re: Moral Relativism - 06/27/06 20:03

I dunno I just know what to and not do to as a decent human being.

Typically I find the more flexible morale codes are, the more room for loopholes get found. And morals to me shouldnt be aubject to debate that way.
Posted By: Anonymous

Amazon touts anti-Israeli views, - 07/21/06 17:36

{edit: off-topic spam removed by request.}

Re: Amazon touts anti-Israeli views, - 07/21/06 18:15

Go away spammer.. we dont care about your propagandist garbage
Posted By: broozar

Re: Amazon touts anti-Israeli views, - 07/21/06 21:07

why's this the only forum where the guest restriction is not applied to?

Re: Moral Relativism - 07/22/06 22:52

Quote:

But if relativism isn't absolutely true, then that means there are absolutes. So you're still wrong.

I tend to agree with you here Irish, relativism can't be absolute, hence the word relativism off course ..

It's also useless to call relativism's existence absolute, since it isn't, it's one of the most dynamic things in the god blessed world.

Quote:

These aren't bizarre extremes. If relativism is true, then its an absolute truth, and it defeats itself because it says there are no absolute truths. If relativism isn't absolutely true, then by the definition of relativism there must be absolute truths. That's not extreme, its just common sense.

These are bizarre extremes, why should something be absolute simply when it's valid? I don't see why this should be.

Relativism implies 'it can/could/will change', how can it be absolute then? Even if it, whatever it may be, changes, relativism stays valid, and by being valid it's true, but not absolute in any way. Give me an example of something relative that's absolute ... trust me, you won't find any. Infact, I'd even dare to say there are no absolutes, not even just the 'being' of things is absolute. Not even time is absolute. Not even our universe is absolute. Not even a God could be absolute.

Infact if you ask me, the word absolute doesn't quite have a meaning in the real word, when talking about the big picture of things anyway ...

Cheers

Re: Amazon touts anti-Israeli views, - 07/23/06 20:56

At first I thought you guys wanted another round of me destroying your philosophy.

So what did this guy post? It must have been good if the subject was "Amazon touts anti-Israeli views."

Petition to destroy the Iranian nuclear facilities - 08/06/06 15:20

While you are reading this, the Iranian reactor produces enriched bomb-grade uranium. Terrorists can deliver that bomb to your city, and it can kill you and your children. Yet the government does nothing.

Do we demand violence? Not in any common sense. Similarly, police use force to arrest criminals in order to stop violence.

But Iran is not a criminal? Wrong. Iran has proven malicious intent. Iran, under the current regime, conducted many terrorist bombings in the West, and sponsors deadly terrorists. Iranian leaders repeatedly called for fight against the United States and annihilation of Israel.

Perhaps Iran needs nuclear weapons for self-defense? No. Iran already bullies the Middle East with its huge conventional army. No country threatens Iran.

Since the eighth-century jihad and the Ottoman army at the gates of Vienna, the West has never been exposed to such threat. Iran’s several nuclear bombs can inflict more damage on America than the World War II. Never before the Islamic fundamentalists who hate the West and dream of attacking it had military might of apocalyptic dimensions. Are you crazy to doubt they will use the bomb?

We call on the United States: Do not hesitate. Protect your people. Protect your allies. Destroy the Iranian reactor!

To sign the petition, visit http://terrorismisrael.com/nuclear_iran.htm
Posted By: Blattsalat

Re: Petition to destroy the Iranian nuclear facilities - 08/06/06 16:28

you are right, there is nothing as anoying as some mind twisted extremist

worst are those who dont even show their names and spread hate from the underground

have a nice one and dont kill anyone
cheers

sldl - 09/11/06 18:51

Quote:

I tend to agree with you here Irish, relativism can't be absolute, hence the word relativism off course ..

It's also useless to call relativism's existence absolute, since it isn't, it's one of the most dynamic things in the god blessed world.

But if it relativism isn't absolute, then what good is it? The opposite of relativism is absolutism. So if relativism isn't absolutely true, then why isn't absolutism absolutely true?

Quote:

These are bizarre extremes, why should something be absolute simply when it's valid? I don't see why this should be.

You'll have to explain to me why this is extreme. The way I see it, I've broken the argument down to its most basic components of logic. And having thus done that, I think I've exposed the weakness of your philosophy. You believe nothing is absolutely true, except that its absolutely true that nothing is absolutely true. But if that's absolutely true, then relativism is false as I've said many times before. If you want to argue that relativism isn't absolutely true, then you'll have a hard time making the argument that its true.

Quote:

Relativism implies 'it can/could/will change', how can it be absolute then?

No, 'truth' can change even in the absolutist position. The difference is relativists will see the change and say, "Neither position is more right than the other." Absolutists will say, "This position is true while the other is false."

That would be the difference.

Quote:

Give me an example of something relative that's absolute ... trust me, you won't find any.

What we're dealing with here is truth. I could come up with many examples of relative perceptions of absolute truths, but it wouldn't really get us anywhere.

Quote:

Infact, I'd even dare to say there are no absolutes, not even just the 'being' of things is absolute.

From the perspective of truth, there are. I can't exist and not exist at the same time.

Quote:

Not even time is absolute. Not even our universe is absolute.

What about time and the universe is relative? Does the universe not exist?

Quote:

Not even a God could be absolute.

I beg to differ. We have a lot of absolute truths 'hard coded' into the universe. I don't think random chance can create everything, including random chance. We have mathematics, logic, and laws (etc) that are absolute. I think that's the reflection of an absolute, and consistent, creator.

Quote:

Infact if you ask me, the word absolute doesn't quite have a meaning in the real word, when talking about the big picture of things anyway ...

This has been a rather illuminating discussion.

Re: sldl - 09/12/06 03:30

Quote:

Does the universe not exist?

Define exist.
Define universe.

As far as we know what we perceive as exsistance is actually an enormous amount of ridiculously tiny ...things... which act as waves sometimes and paticles at others (actually all matter exhibits wave properties anyway... which is odd to say the least), hell electrons even phase out of existance when switching energy levels. On top of this hazyness of what matter is or isn't we have things like the uncertainty principle where we can't even know exactly where things are when we know how fast their going....

And then theres the stuff behind the crazy half existing particles that's even hazier and I don't even have the half-understanding I do of basic quantum mechanics with, like string theory... super-string theory... the thought that the universe is made of Branes... quarks...

We have no clue what the universe is, how can we know it exists? Can our minds even grasp it? Is there even a truth to the nature of the universe?

As far as we know there are no absolutes in nature. EX. the fine structure 'constant' is in fact changing slowly. What does that mean? The universe is not fine-tuned, or if it is then somebody has definetly been lazy lately with keeping it so.

Everything is variable, everything is relative. There are no absolute co-ordiantes because there is no absolute origin point. Even if there was it would be impossible to chart things from it with any degree of accuracy in the long run since literally EVERYTHING is moving in relation to everything else.

Maybe you should take a look at your perfect natural machine, your fine-tuned universe created specifically for us, where the vast majority - and I mean VAST - of space is well... space. Where giant nuclear furnaces whip around crushing darknesses, drawn slowly in over millions of years... Where tiny dense spinning balls fire off streams of death. Where unexplainable bursts of massive amounts of radiation fire into the permanent blackness. Where all of this is merely another level of tiny building block to the grand scheme of things... Where everything our brains -so tailored to this tiny rock - can comprehend ceases to apply.

Then ask yourself, what do I really know? What is certainty? how can I truly believe that there are moral absolutes, that these ideas from the minds of social apes have any merit?

Logic does not apply to existance.

Re: sldl - 09/12/06 03:33

That really artsy post with lots of grammatical problems and probably some incorrect descriptions of phenomena (neutron stars and EM bursts and whatnot) was me.

Re: sldl - 09/13/06 05:18

Quote:

Define exist.
Define universe.

I'm not going to bust out the dictionary. You reference a lot of EM bursts and whatnot, if they don't exist (inside of this universe) then don't bother mentioning them.

Quote:

We have no clue what the universe is, how can we know it exists?

For me, you asking that question answers it. Our understanding of something isn't a requisite of its existence. We didn't know what gravity was (maybe we still don't) but that doesn't mean it doesn't affect us at all times.

Quote:

As far as we know there are no absolutes in nature. EX. the fine structure 'constant' is in fact changing slowly. What does that mean? The universe is not fine-tuned, or if it is then somebody has definetly been lazy lately with keeping it so.

Actually, last I heard it was up in the air and they were hoping to experimentally clarify earlier results by the end of this year.

Assuming the fine structure constant is changing, the universe hasn't decended into chaos yet.

Quote:

Everything is variable, everything is relative. There are no absolute co-ordiantes because there is no absolute origin point.

Ok.

Quote:

Maybe you should take a look at your perfect natural machine, your fine-tuned universe created specifically for us

I don't think it was created for us. If it was, you're right it probably wouldn't look like it does. I wouldn't expect the universe to be specifically created down to every detail just for us, though. I mean, I'm flattered that I'm part of the only species able to grasp the universe (to an extent), but I have no delusions of importance. The universe is in many ways finely tuned for life, but we're not living in a bubble meant just for humans. In fact, I'd be contradicting the bible if I wanted to believe otherwise.

Quote:

the vast majority - and I mean VAST - of space is well... space. Where giant nuclear furnaces whip around crushing darknesses, drawn slowly in over millions of years... Where tiny dense spinning balls fire off streams of death. Where unexplainable bursts of massive amounts of radiation fire into the permanent blackness. Where all of this is merely another level of tiny building block to the grand scheme of things... Where everything our brains -so tailored to this tiny rock - can comprehend ceases to apply.

Then ask yourself, what do I really know? What is certainty? how can I truly believe that there are moral absolutes, that these ideas from the minds of social apes have any merit?

Its rather interesting to follow the atheist line of reasoning here. I'm not trying to belittle what you're saying here, if that's what it sounds like. It just really helps me see things from your viewpoint like I never could before. I don't know, your diction is interesting too, "crushing darkness", "streams of death", "permanent blackness" and so on.

I can definately see why you would feel the way you feel if this is the way you perceive the universe around you.

I don't know, I've always felt privelaged to be a witness to 'the show' if you will. Where you see permanent blackness, I see a sprawling canvas. Where you see streams of death, I see something akin to a cosmic fireworks show. Frankly, the creation never ceases to amaze me, and its one of the few beautiful things that's too far out of our reach to 'taint'; Lord knows we've really managed to mess things up here on earth. Sure, most of these things are dangerous from the perspective of life. But think about how dangerous and destructive the sun is, even though we couldn't survive without it. I don't see danger, I see opportunity (in a sense).

I have to ask you a question though.

Quote:

Then how can you trust yourself? Why should I believe any of the conclusions you or any relativist comes to? How do you know that you're right about the 'hopeless' situation we 'advanced apes' find ourselves in? The problem I have, according to you, doesn't just apply to me.

The whole relativist philosophy says that I'm not more right than you are, even though I'm saying the exact opposite of what you're saying. Something doesn't match up.

Quote:

Logic does not apply to existance.

I don't think you could prove that without using logic. Although I wouldn't mind having a debate on the existence of logic, because that's something an atheist might have a hard time with when it comes to accounting for its existence.

Re: sldl - 09/14/06 18:27

Quote:

But if it relativism isn't absolute, then what good is it? The opposite of relativism is absolutism. So if relativism isn't absolutely true, then why isn't absolutism absolutely true?

Don't get confused by using the same words over and over again.

Absolutism might be the opposite of relativism linguistically, that still doesn't prove it actually exists, it's just that we made up what it's opposition would be called.

Relativism can't be absolute, it would have had to be called absolutism instead in that case, and it's not. Why would something be absolutely true? Is it possible to even determine what's truth and what's not beyond any reasonable doubt? I'd say truth itself is 100% relative, stating something is true is relative, it all depends on the gathered knowledge and know-how.

I simply know relativism exists, it's everywhere. The amount of knowledge (in general and individually), (linked) events/action/reaction, chance, choices, emotions, language, intelligence, perspectives. There's no absolute in any of those, it's really all relative. The fact that all is relative is not absolute, and this is not contradicting at all, even if it may seem so.

Quote:

I beg to differ. We have a lot of absolute truths 'hard coded' into the universe. I don't think random chance can create everything, including random chance. We have mathematics, logic, and laws (etc) that are absolute. I think that's the reflection of an absolute, and consistent, creator.

No, mathematics, laws and logic are all based upon compromises, we have agreed upon those rules, those agreements are relative. Just because we've decided 2 + 2 = 4, doesn't mean it's actually true. It's IS true when we follow are own made rules. Without these rules, mathematics would be rather pointless, hence the rules's existance.

Exactly the same goes for logic. A bit more complicated though, because it's based upon learned rules mixed with 'reason', both can determine once's "logic" (you may not always agree with those 'learned rules', in that case 'reason' tells you to think different, IF you are using your brains and don't think like the big masses ).

There are more kinds of logic too by the way, again it's very relative.

Quote:

This has been a rather illuminating discussion.

I see, however prove to me absolute things exist. You will find out it's impossible. The only thing that may be absolute, is it's non-existance hahahaha,

Quote:

What about time and the universe is relative? Does the universe not exist?

It's subject to a constant change, so no it's definately not absolute in any way whatsoever.

Cheers

Re: sldl - 09/14/06 19:55

Quote:

Don't get confused by using the same words over and over again.

I think I've used that sentence about 8 times now. I need to stop.

Quote:

Absolutism might be the opposite of relativism linguistically, that still doesn't prove it actually exists, it's just that we made up what it's opposition would be called.

Its the opposite of it logically. The linguistics are just symbols and patterns assigned to reality so that our brains can grasp it.

In some ways, black is the opposite of white. Just because we assign words to these colors, doesn't mean that black and white don't exist. It just means that we, in our limited capacity, need such constructs to understand the world.

Quote:

Relativism can't be absolute, it would have had to be called absolutism instead in that case, and it's not.

Yes, that's what I've been saying. But you don't take it to its logical conclusion. If relativism isn't true, then its false. But if its true, then its also false, because then that's an absolute. I hate having to repeat myself like this, but I don't see how you're not making the connection.

Quote:

Why would something be absolutely true?

Something may be absolutely true if all the opposing alternatives are false. In morals, this may be that homosexuality is wrong. If homosexuality is wrong, no matter what, then that's an unchanging absolute. Of course, I'm not going to get into determining sources of absolutes like this, because then that will get into a debate over the validity of the bible and all that. Which is an ok debate to have, but right now, I have to establish that relativism is logically wrong so that we're playing in the right ball park. Then we can decide if the bible is the source of moral absolutes and stuff like that.

Quote:

Is it possible to even determine what's truth and what's not beyond any reasonable doubt? I'd say truth itself is 100% relative, stating something is true is relative, it all depends on the gathered knowledge and know-how.

Perhaps, but I think that's beyond where I'd like the focus to be. But, the way I see it, its our understanding of Truth that's relative, not truth itself.

Quote:

I simply know relativism exists, it's everywhere. The amount of knowledge (in general and individually), (linked) events/action/reaction, chance, choices, emotions, language, intelligence, perspectives. There's no absolute in any of those, it's really all relative.

Hm. This could be a debate in itself because much of these are rock solid absolutes. A lot of nature is absolute. A green light is green, whether or not the viewer observes it as green. I can't exist and not exist at the same time. Etc.

Quote:

The fact that all is relative is not absolute, and this is not contradicting at all, even if it may seem so.

Ok, this is kind of where you need to be at this point. But you still need to make your case. Otherwise all you've done is state an opinion here. If its absolutely true that truth is relative, then why isn't that contradicting? If it isn't absolutely true that truth is relative, then why isn't relativism false?

I could switch up your statement here without changing its meaning. "The fact that relativism is absolute is not absolute."

Quote:

No, mathematics, laws and logic are all based upon compromises, we have agreed upon those rules, those agreements are relative. Just because we've decided 2 + 2 = 4, doesn't mean it's actually true.

Hm.

Hmmmmm.

What we've agreed on are the symbols and language to apply to mathematics. However, the principles of mathematics are transcendant. You can say there are three cubes, tres cubes, (1+2) cubes, III cubes, or whatever you want. While the symbols and language of each of those examples is different, they're all true (assuming there really are three cubes). The truth of the existence of thoes three cubes can be described by language, but is no dependent on language.

Quote:

Exactly the same goes for logic. A bit more complicated though, because it's based upon learned rules mixed with 'reason', both can determine once's "logic" (you may not always agree with those 'learned rules', in that case 'reason' tells you to think different, IF you are using your brains and don't think like the big masses ).

Logic would have to exist or we would never have discovered mathematics. Again, its how we apply logic (on a person-to-person basis) that's relative. Not logic itself.

If logic wasn't absolute, then there should be any number of ways to solve a sudoku puzzle, actually sudoku puzzles wouldn't even be possible. So on and so forth.

Quote:

I see, however prove to me absolute things exist. You will find out it's impossible. The only thing that may be absolute, is it's non-existance hahahaha,

Then that would be an absolute and you would just have proved that absolutes exist.

I'm not out to 'prove the existence' of absolutes. What I'm trying to do is show that relativism isn't logically consistent, which makes it little more than 'junk philosophy.' Although, the reason I think its so prevailent is that its the 'logical' step one might make if they're a secular evolutionist (just being an atheist would probably suffice, but I don't know of any that aren't evolutionists), because then there's no source for absolutes.

However, I can prove that absolutes must exist (even if we don't know what they are) by proving that relativism is false. Therefore, I'm trying to prove relativism is false.

Re: ... - 09/14/06 21:13

Quote:

In some ways, black is the opposite of white. Just because we assign words to these colors, doesn't mean that black and white don't exist. It just means that we, in our limited capacity, need such constructs to understand the world.

No, it's not that black and white at all. What's black? When do you say dark grey is infact black? Which dark grey-black is the opposite of white? Okey, it's a bit unfair, but colors have no opposites. What's the opposite of purple? Only light against no light or 'dark', but not black versus white. These constructs are relative as h*ll, they are what we make them to be and may not represent the truth. The color blue is blue because we say so, not because it is. Yes, a color may exist, but it's not blue because it is blue, but because we agreed to call it blue.

Quote:

Perhaps, but I think that's beyond where I'd like the focus to be. But, the way I see it, its our understanding of Truth that's relative, not truth itself.

The truth we know, is the truth we think we understand, stating there's more to it, some sort of real truth won't get us nowhere, since we don't know that. We can't determine wether or not our truth is the same anyway, so that alone means it's relative to what we know. This absolute truth you are talking about only exists in theory, not in practise and reality. There's no way you could say which is the right and therefore absolute truth of anything.

Quote:

A green light is green, whether or not the viewer observes it as green.

This sounds like a nice claim to go and prove, but you can't. Infact, what we see comes first, according to what we see, we define it's color, after that we call it a green light, not the other way around. The proof of this? Well, dig a few big holes in the ground and ask people to explain what color they see. Some may say it's dark brown yellowish dirt, others may say yellow grey brown dirt. Who's right?
You may think it's the interpretation that's relative, and it is indeed, however the interpretation that we agree upon will become the 'truth'. Colors therefore can't be absolute.

Quote:

Then that would be an absolute and you would just have proved that absolutes exist.

I'm not trying to make fun of you, but you still don't get it. If something is true, then it's still not necessarily absolute. Infact, I would say quite the contrary, since like I said before, truth is based upon what we know and that's limited and thus relative.

Quote:

However, I can prove that absolutes must exist (even if we don't know what they are) by proving that relativism is false. Therefore, I'm trying to prove relativism is false.

Which is a rather impossible task. Even if you could prove relativism is false, however you'd do that is a mystery to me, but then you still haven't proven absolutes exist. It's like infinity, in order to proof that you'd need to see the whole of infinity or be able to show it, not just explain the concept. There already have been numerous occasions on which it turned out that our 'past truths' were invalid and new discoveries have led us to believe in different truths, infact these kind of developments are going on constantly, again the biggest proof for relativism is out there, right in front of us. It's called 'reality'. lol ...

Cheers

Re: ... - 09/17/06 20:19

Quote:

No, it's not that black and white at all. What's black? When do you say dark grey is infact black? Which dark grey-black is the opposite of white? Okey, it's a bit unfair, but colors have no opposites.

What I had in mind while making that statement was colors on a computer. 0,0,0 would be black, and 255,255,255 would be white. In a way its opposite. Besides, it was just an example.

Quote:

The color blue is blue because we say so, not because it is.

A rose by any other name is still a rose.

You're right, the construct, the language, the symbolism is relative. But what the construct is constructed around is not relative. 'Blue' is just a term we give to a certain wavelength or frequency or whatever. The physics of color don't change based on what name we give the color, so it is therefore absolute. Science has proved this, and the burden of proof is then on you to prove that somehow your philosophy doesn't contradict what we empirically know to be true.

Quote:

There's no way you could say which is the right and therefore absolute truth of anything.

I can logically prove that there are absolute truths. I can scientifically prove that the universe is based on many absolutes (in the above statements we were discussing the language used to describe the wavelength of light, although we could really name it whatever we want, the wavelength itself is absolute).

As far as figuring out what the truth is, I would agree that humans are not the source of absolute truth.

Quote:

This sounds like a nice claim to go and prove, but you can't.

So you're honestly going to sit there and tell me that the wavelength or frequency or whatever of light will change depending upon who's viewing it?

Quote:

Well, dig a few big holes in the ground and ask people to explain what color they see. Some may say it's dark brown yellowish dirt, others may say yellow grey brown dirt. Who's right?

If our eyes are working properly, we'll all see the same color even if we describe it differently. So your example is not only inadequate, but proves my point.

Quote:

You may think it's the interpretation that's relative, and it is indeed, however the interpretation that we agree upon will become the 'truth'. Colors therefore can't be absolute.

Although our interpretations are relative, as long as they fall somewhere near the 'truth', we can communicate correctly about what color it is.

Quote:

I'm not trying to make fun of you, but you still don't get it. If something is true, then it's still not necessarily absolute. Infact, I would say quite the contrary, since like I said before, truth is based upon what we know and that's limited and thus relative.

You do understand the difference between providing logic, and providing an opinion don't you? You've shown time and time again that your premise is based upon faulty logic that you refuse to admit to. Therefore, any conclusions you come to will be faulty by the nature of your logic.

Besides that, most of what you're doing is repeating opinion. You still haven't even provided the most basic of logic to prove that relativism is non contradictory.

Besides, just because we can't always figure out what truth is correctly, doesn't mean that truth is then not relative. You're making a leap of logic there. I would agree with you that humans all have different interpretations of the truth, but that doesn't mean that there is no absolute truth and until you establish that, you have no argument.

Quote:

Which is a rather impossible task. Even if you could prove relativism is false

I have, several times now. I've just said that if relativism is a universal absolute, as you believe, then that means that all truth isn't relative and relativism is then false. Which opens the door to all kinds of absolutes. The logic is sound, and you've provided no counter-logic, except to state that you disagree, and then give examples of people giving relative interpretations of absolute things. Which only proves that people don't always know what's right, not that they could never know what's right.

Reality, in fact, proves that relativism is false. If relativism was true and nothing in the universe was absolute, science, mathematics, logic, and even physical reality itself would not exist. You have no way to explain their existence, and your philosophy has even caused you to make several incorrect statements concerning these things. For instance, you thinking that mathematics is a human construct (whereas the principles are founded in reality, and the symbology, language, etc are human constructs used so that the mind can grasp these things).

Since your premise is based on faulty logic, you are using irrelevant examples, and your philosophy has incorrectly intrepreted reality, its easy to conclude that your philosophy is false.

Unless you can use some kind of counter-logic (which according to you doesn't really exist) or you can find some new argument that isn't irrelevant, you're just wasting time.

Re: ... - 09/17/06 22:19

Quote:

If relativism was true and nothing in the universe was absolute

"If relativism was true"

and

"nothing in the universe was absolute"

are two different statements, and it is not the fault of others that you can't see the difference.

It is your problem that you state that relativism is an absolute statement, not that of relativistic thinking people. A statement isn't necessarily absolute. It is only your claim.

Re: ... - 09/18/06 01:04

Quote:

"If relativism was true"

and

"nothing in the universe was absolute"

are two different statements, and it is not the fault of others that you can't see the difference.

Excuse me. "If relativism is true and truth is relative." That's basically what I meant. Now if you're going to tell me that the accepted definition of relativism is wrong because its devastating to your philosophy, then do me a favor and don't waste my time.

Quote:

It is your problem that you state that relativism is an absolute statement, not that of relativistic thinking people. A statement isn't necessarily absolute. It is only your claim.

I don't think its an absolute statement. In fact, I only believe its relatively true. For some people, relativism is true. But just because its relatively true doesn't mean it isn't absolutely false.

Anyway, I'm only using your guys' arguments. Either you're a relativist and you think that relativism is a universal truth (an absolute), or you're not and even if you don't know what they are, you admit there are absolutes.

The best position you can take is that even though there are absolutes, we can never know what they are, so we should just give up and live with the knowledge that we're left with our own relative constructs of truth. Including morals. However, a fundamental belief in relativism is nothing but intellectually false, or just plain dishonest. Whether or not you're willing to admit it.

Besides, this is yet another post by a relativist where nothing but an opinion is stated. I would love, just once, for one of you to actually back up your opinion with some logic or reasoning, instead of just stating your opposition to my view.

P.S. its seems to me that you're trying to establish that relativism is only relatively true. But that's actually true of my absolutist philosophy. To me, I see some people who agree with relativism and some who don't. So its relatively true, but absolutely false. In the sense that while its the truth for some people, its still a false philosophy because humans are fallible and can believe things that aren't true.

You might not like the sound of that, but consider the fact that you take similar positions if only subconsciously. To you, even though Naziism was the truth for Hitler and the nazis, you know it to be wrong.

This goes back to some of my earlier statements. I'm sure you guys do believe in absolutes (Naziism is wrong, slavery is wrong, etc), its just that you want to be the ones to decide what those absolutes are (i.e. man determines truth, not God). Of course, that's just my opinion, so feel free to disagree if you want.

edit: Let me try and get you into a logic train that will expose the fallicy of your argument. I'll start with this statement.

Quote:

Ok, so to you relativism isn't absolutely true, truth is just what man determines it to be but it never gets above that level. Its all relative.

Now, I take the opposite position, i.e. there are absolutes which directly opposes what you believe. So the only thing keeping my opinion from overriding yours is that its only relatively true (to me). Do you believe this?

Re: ... - 09/18/06 19:13

Quote:

The best position you can take is that even though there are absolutes, we can never know what they are, so we should just give up and live with the knowledge that we're left with our own relative constructs of truth. Including morals.

"The best position you can take is that even though there are no absolutes, we can never know whether there are any, so we should just give up and live with the knowledge that we're left with our own relative constructs of truth. Including morals. "

Question:

Is the second statement less true than the first?
© 2024 lite-C Forums