The Art of Raising Capitol

Posted By: ICEman

The Art of Raising Capitol - 04/20/07 00:33

I've never seen this discussed before here, but I think it's appropriate to ask an inquiry or start a discussion about raising capitol to fund game (and other 3dgs media) projects.

No one works for free, especially nowadays, and finding those who do work for the experience that are any good is as rare as cougar-rand gold in Greenland.

So I'd like to strike up a discussion about how people who are going strong with their projects are keeping their mercinary programmers and artists financially pleased, and funding their marketing campaigns and production.

What kind of figures are you spending? Where/to who did you go to get the necesary funding? How did you sell your project as worthy of financing?

This, I feel, would be an important discussion to further advance the base of knowledge here for newcomers, and those, like myself, having trouble breaking into the art, due to ignorance in this respect.

(<--- That's right, ICEman admits ignorance. Take a picture, it'll last longer than my humble will ).

I'd like to know some of this information myself. I refuse to let my current baby, SkySpace, die. It's only needs.. some bit of money to get underway, according to my latest estimates, but I havent the faintest clue where to go about getting it.
Posted By: fastlane69

Re: The Art of Raising Capitol - 04/20/07 01:36

Great Topic.
Here are the traditional routes to seed the discussion:

1) Friends, Families, and Fools: These are the typical "three f's" that you go to first. You tap your friends who believe in you, your family who loves you, and any fool who believes in you. You might think fools is a harsh critique but if they aren't friends nor family and they are giving you money, well.... Of course to this fund you add your own money and this is where you start.

2) Angel Investors: these are a group of people who have lots of money and lots of time and want to do something fun. Mind you, you have to make a convincing arguement for how you are going to make their money back because they will ask for 3 to 5 times back the money they invested.

3) Venture Capital: Like angels but more organized. Generally they are interested in boosting a known company to greater heights. Angels will be willing to take greater risks where ventures need established companies. They will normally ask fof "5 in 5" or five times back the investment in five years.

4) Loans: This is a great route to take if you have lots of capital (homes, cars, land). A loan will not invest in you without collateral and so this is a good alternative to the Angels or Ventures.

5) Publishers: Why didn't I go here first? Quite honestly because I think these will be the hardest to get. This is because a publisher requires a known company with hits and experience and then they may or may not give you any money up front requireing you to do a reimbursement payout. A small publisher may give you distribution but not money.

Parting Shot 1: IF YOU ARE NOT WILLING TO SPEND YOUR OWN MONEY DON'T EXPECT OTHERS TO!
Parting Shot 2: IT'S NOT WHAT YOU KNOW, IT'S WHO YOU KNOW AND HOW YOU SAY IT!
Posted By: A.Russell

Re: The Art of Raising Capitol - 04/20/07 02:57

Quote:

This is because a publisher requires a known company with hits and experience and then they may or may not give you any money up front requireing you to do a reimbursement payout. A small publisher may give you distribution but not money.

Not necessarily, but be careful. When you are small and unknown you may be approached with offers that are unrealistically low or no contract is provided -and you may be inclined to accept them. I've been through some of these and am currently studying up on software consultancy.

Your parting shots are on the mark. However, you can get away with investing more of you own time than your own money. Unless you are going to work for someone else, expect to spend a few tens of thousands worth of technology and resources to get started.

One other point that is true in all businesses. The most common reason for a business to fail is because there isn't enough cash to meet overheads. The more you rely on outside funding, the higher your overheads and the less control you have over your company. Giving over control is not neccessarily a bad thing; it is essential for higher rewards, but only to a point that you are comfortable with. Not only is it hard to get funding, but once you've got it, it comes with heavy obligations. You need to make sure you have enough cash to carry you through at least the first six months. Small businesses that you can set up yourself are always safest, but unless you are wealthy, usually not big enough to be very profitable. A small business is usually a life-style choice. I can't say too much about running a large company, becasue I haven't had the experience.

Even a small software business is difficult to start. I've had a shot bar and an English school. In both of those cases money starts flowing in as soon as you open the doors. With software you have much higher initial overheads and a contract could take years to complete. Contracts are much more difficult to negotiate, wheras with a bar it's simple -"a beer, please." "That'll be $5 thank you!" -finished.
Posted By: ulf

Re: The Art of Raising Capitol - 04/20/07 06:31

from my experience now i can only advise you to not spend any money at all for your indie projects, only if its really, really nessecary!

for my current project utz wollewutz i bought some sounds and music really cheap! the rest is almost all selfdone stuff. now that i have contacted several publishers the offers they made make me laugh, they are so unrealistic. my game is finished, 99.99% bugfree, comes with manual, fansite, is multilingual, pretty unique and so on. meaning the publisher has zero!!! risk at all and zero!!! money to put in compared to other projects.
however with the contracts you get offered you even have problems getting the money you invested back. iam happy when the game is sold and i am not in the reds with the invested money for this project. and the stuff i bought was really, really, really cheap.

so for my next projects i plan on using as much open source software as possible. even improve my own art skills so i dont have to buy expensive stuff everywhere else. you basically have to be a master of sound/music, code, modelling, mapping, 2d gfx if you are an indie or you will have problems to make a living.

the next thing you have to keep in mind is that when you buy stuff everyone and their mother wants to be mentioned in the credits or say, you can use my stuff until you sold xxxx copies then i want to get more money. this is insane.

dont get me wrong, i just want to advise you not to spend money on indie projects. unless you have THAT killer idea THAT will definitaley sell its not worth it.

you probably have to pump out 1 little crap game a month and sign unfair contracts for each one to make little money that adds up in the end to make a living or you have this superdupergameidea and can finish it.

maybe some others can give their experience too. iam even thinking about not going to a publisher at all and selling the game on my own, this will probably get me more money even if i sell only 10 copies at all.

in my situation i wasted like 4 month working fulltime, if i would have stood in the city selling sausages i would have made more money - but its not only the money that makes me doing this.

Re: The Art of Raising Capitol - 04/20/07 09:24

You've done it the wrong way, Ulf. Publishers don't want to pay for something that is already developed. People want what they don't have. A [censored]-hot demo that will will take until just before next Christmas to complete is a far better sell. They'll want to input their own ideas too.

Be careful with open source. Avoid GPL. Publishers want what they can buy lock, stock and barrell. You'll probably see a clause in the contract they present to you about that. They'll want the copyright. Make sure everyone who does work for you has a contract that stipulates "work for hire" as well. Otherwise you might find that you don't have anything to sell. Anything you absolutely don't want to give them, list as royalty free, licenced material (you can licence material to your own company). However, they will expect some bang for their buck. Obviously, they are the ones taking the biggest risk.

Four months is very short for a video game you made yourself. Commercial titles are usually measured in man-years. If you made it for yourself, because you liked doing it, then that's fine. If you want to make it for someone else so you can make some money, then you need to balance what you want to do with what your source of funding has a demand for. Unless you are a proven, multi-million selling superstar, then you can do anything you like and make megabucks.

Re: The Art of Raising Capitol - 04/20/07 10:42

i would not say its the wrong way i did it, because iam doing what i like to do - iam an indie.

if you develop a game for someone else then you are more a programmer than a game developer.

the main problem these days is that the market with casual games is flooded. i would say my game does not have many competetors, but lots of people who like playing this kind of game. there are already 2-3 games like this selling very well.

the topic is about get funds for your own game as far as i understood and i highly recomend you not to do, because its not easy selling your ready made game. but i dont understand why, if i walk into the city and see the pc shelves i can find at least 20 really crap casual games with horrible art/gameplay that just sell because of a cool name/cover.

Re: The Art of Raising Capitol - 04/20/07 14:19

Quote:

the topic is about get funds for your own game as far as i understood and i highly recomend you not to do, because its not easy selling your ready made game

I have to strongly disagree with this advice.

You are confusing making a profit with raising capital.
Selling a game can make you profits. But making a game requires capital.

There is simply no aspect of game development that will not benefit from having some capital behind it period.

Then again, if your arguement is that you shouldn't take any money because you are unlikely to make any money, then you're right. But this is the distinguishes a hobbiest and a professional IMO. It's not the skill or the knowledge but where you want your game to go and how many people you want to see it. A hobbiest only makes games to be seen by themselves and a few others so yeah, it makes sense not to dump a whole bunch of money into it. A professional wants their game to be seen by as many people as possible and hence will dump money into their game to have it make the best possible showing.

Quote:

meaning the publisher has zero!!! risk at all and zero!!! money to put in compared to other projects.

I also want to correct you on this notion. The publisher is taking a HUGE risk with you. They will have to put money up for distribution and publishing; for advertising and marketing. And even if they don't do any of that (in which case why bother!), they are taking a risk with who you are. If your game sucks, this will reflect on the publisher. They won't say "Oh that Ulf makes horrible games! I'll never buy from him again!" No, they will say "Oh that publisher puts out horrible games! I'll never buy from them again!"

This is the risk you take with self-publishing. The author and the publisher are the same and thus you are risking your reputation with the public when you do this. Publishing errors that have nothing to do with your game (like games not devlivered or e-commerce site is down) will reflect negatively on you as a game designer and again hurt your reputation.

EDIT: Washington DC == $$, but changed anyway Jetpack.

Re: The Art of Raising Capitol - 04/20/07 15:02

Quote:

The more you rely on outside funding, the higher your overheads

I agree with everything you said, Alex but I don't understand the above quote.
How is it that your overhead rises the more outside funding you get?
Posted By: JetpackMonkey

Re: The Art of Raising Capitol - 04/20/07 17:20

capital = $$
capitol = washington DC

Sorry

Re: The Art of Raising Capitol - 04/20/07 18:26

@jetpack..

... Eh.. I made a concerted effort to use the right word. Oh well, you know what I meant .

@ ulf

What I plan to develop isn't quite a game (only in the sense that its not "playable", though it is interactive).

However, my main reason for needing capital is to develop it, as I have'nt seen more than a handful fo developers willing to build it and have faith that it'll sell.

Because it's not a game, I am confident it would, but I could explain the concept of SkySpace till I was blue in the face, and still not be able to sell a programmer or leveler enough to help me build it, let alone 2 or 3 of each so that it doesnt take a year to build.

I imagine, and have thus far been right to assume, that the only way I'd be able to keep them long enough is with financial incentive. And probably a decent bit of it.

What I'm building now has two main bodies in its cost analysis.. the labor and marketing. Marketing is straight forward. This particular item will need heavy exposure volume of exposure would be direc/prop to volume of sales... just like every other impulse item.

I know when and where to put the birdie, marketing wise, but I have to build the software first.. I can't do that without developers.. hence the return to the beggining of this vicious cycle... acquiring the funds to pay the troops to build the bridge that leads to progress on SkySpace.

Mind you, if you saw the design, you'd see the revenue far outweighs the cost, but even on paper, I struggle to imagine the development team that's eevr been sold on solid concept alone.

Or at least I have yet to encounter them. So my contingent is to become able to speak plenty of their language: money.

I've come to the understanding I dont havta like em, we dont havta walk hand in hand.. or have the same dream.. I just need to be able to speak dollar to em ( while not being a bunghole boss) and I'llg et things done.

Hence my inquiry as to how some of you got working.

Re: The Art of Raising Capitol - 04/20/07 19:22

@fastlane... shure the publisher does take a risk, but look. they can see and test a finished game like mine for example before! they publish it. they should have enough knowledge to not license a crap game from me. that is the whole point.

i just wanted to say that a hobbyist should not spend too much money because he cant be shure that the game will sell well enough that he doesnt end up in the reds. but thats just my opinion.

Re: The Art of Raising Capitol - 04/20/07 19:54

Adding that qualifier "hobbyiest" makes all the difference and in that we agree. If this is a hobby to you, you shouldn't sink too much money into it because you won't get it back. Of course if you have money to burn, then by all means sink away.

But what you say about publishers is true but even then it's a risk. After all, they may find it fun and it won't sell or they may find it boring and it will sale. There is no guaranteed way to know what a product will do and therein lies the risk. I'm only taking exception to your comment that it is ZERO risk to the publisher when there is alway risk.

Re: The Art of Raising Capitol - 04/20/07 20:01

Quote:

Hence my inquiry as to how some of you got working

I used a bootstrap method:
Year 1: Built a small prototype (0 USD).
Year 2: Used this to raise some funds for a larger prototype (a few hundred USD).
Year 3: Used this to raise some funds for an even larger prototype (a few thousand USD).
Year 4: Once the prototype was convincing enough, I used it to raise enough money to build a demo (a few ten thousand USD).
Year 5: I'm currenlty building the demo that will (ideally) attract the investors to actually build the game (a few million USD).

I'm creating an MMOG so you can actually do this much quicker and for less target money but the approach is the same: "Dream Big, Start Small".

Re: The Art of Raising Capitol - 04/20/07 20:14

The boostrap method is not really possible, or at least I am not finding it to be.

As I do not program, it would be immensely difficult to prototype even. Rest assured, though, if I could, this would not even be a discussion, lol.

My specific item requires a comparatively small amount (roundabout 20k.. 25 at most), most of which development costs.. that I based on the last time I went scouting for developers. It's a small amount compared to what it will generate (it has a target revenue that it either will or wont hit to completion by end of term), but it's an amount that would have to come from a loan of some type, most likely.

Why couldn't I boostrap? Well, mostly because I don't have all the skills needed to do so, and I've never heard of anyone that does, who would do even prototype level working for free.. or even cheaply. Almost everyone's mercinary, busy with a project, or both.

I wish that was the case, though. Then maybe I could boostrap it enough to build something that visually demonstrates the design, so that I could either sell SkySpace or acquire the funds to put it all the way to manifest myself ( which I'd much prefer).

I have, however, come to the conclusion that that isnt.

Re: The Art of Raising Capitol - 04/20/07 22:13

Quote:

As I do not program, it would be immensely difficult to prototype even.

A small prototype doesn't just have to be a small 3DGS mockup.
It can be many things:

It can be a pen-and-paper game that shows your gameplay.
It can be a storyboard showing how your game flows.
It can be a game design document with enough detail to "show" the game.
It can be a choose-your-own adventure book that showcases your idea and game.

Quote:

Why couldn't I boostrap? Well, mostly because I don't have all the skills needed to do so,

But the bottom line my friend is that if you are serious about this, then, by your own words, you would learn how to program. Otherwise you just aren't serious about this. I know this sounds harsh but if programming is the obsticle and programming on a game engine meant for 15 year olds is just not for you, then one has to wonder just how much you want to release this.

Do you think I wanted to learn about networking, about server communication, about client side prediction in my quest to make my game? That I wanted to spend the last five years finding out about project management and business mangement and business practices and legal issues in game design? Don't you think I wouldn't have been a lot happier telling someone about my great idea, about how it's a "sure bet" and how it would make tons of money, so they could pay for it entirely? Of course I would! Who wouldn't! Hell, I tried and failed and that is where I learned about where the money comes from and where it goes. Nobody invests in ideas or un-validated claims of how much money my idea will make. No, they only invest in experience and effort.

Now it's up to you to demonstrate that you can put forth the effort to make it worth someones 25k USD. Now it's up to you to prove that you have the experience to manage that money well. Otherwise, why would they give you the money? Why would they risk their money on someone with no experience and no effort?

Bottom Line: If you're not willing to take the hard road to raising money, a road which is lengthy, risky, and a road that may lead to no where, then you will NEVER get the money. If on the other hand you are willing to sacrifice because your baby must be born, it just MUST, then you will do everything for that baby... you will bleed and suffer and work and learn until you can finally, incrementally, see that baby be born. And then, and only then, will people come up and say "What a beautiful baby! Here is some money for it's college fund."

Re: The Art of Raising Capitol - 04/21/07 01:27

Well.. I guess I don't not program..

That's a little innacurate. I have the time to learn it, like I had the time to learn other programming languages and if I end up getting mad enough, I'll do just that.

But supposing you had an idea pertaining to mechanical engineering.. would it make more sense to round up and consult established mechanical engineers or go get a masters degree in mechanical engineering so that you could build it all yourself and answer all your own questions?

At this moment I'm expanding my programming knowledge, and if I beat the punch learning it versus drafting a dedicated programmer, then I'll craft the entire shabang myself (though I wont be paying myself by the hour so it still wont take me 8 year to finish it).

I don't think anyone would give money for anything. But if I knew how to go about presenting what I have put together (des. docs.. visual aids, demos etc), I wouldn't be asking around to find out how everyone else went about getting the funding for their games.

That.. was my inquiry.

Mind you.. games can be bootstrapped, because they don't really have set costs, but this really can't be.

It costs money for the artwork to be done, the lines of code to be written, the server and client software to be written and compiled, and it costs money to be advertised. Very little of it can be winged without money, though I am carrying that torch as far as it'll go, currently.

It has costs for things that can't be avoided, thus the need to acquire the funding. Conversely, I'd be pretty foolish to expect it "given" because I need it.

If that were so, you're right, we'd all be pretty well off. My current dilemma (though it wont be much of one for much longer if my current pace of learning keeps up..) is that even the smallest of the small prototypes would take quite a bit of work and expertise, most of which (granted not all) I don't have.

This is not so different than any of your projects.. I've only seen one person build a game, start to finish (though what I'm crafting isnt a game..) by himself.

Though it was in terrible shape that still was a marvel, (for fear or reprisal I wont mention who it was or what game it was, but I think you all can remember a certain person who's game got thrown to the lions here, because it was.. well.. like jelly as games go.. though it was an impressive effort he put forth) in my opinion.. but an absolute rarity.

I think my point is that it's passionate, but woefully innefficient to go it alone. I'm sure I'm not the only one who agrees.

Mind you, I could. I have the zeal for it and I'm selfish enough, under the right circumstances. I'd even do it right, as I am a perfectionist at everything I do, and as my "baby" there's no way I'd put crap out there for the world to see.

I don't put the ICEman seal of approval on any of my models until they are done completely right.

But I'd rather work with a team of those who have a reasonable certainty of what they're doing in their field of expertise. I'd rather us build a relationship.

I'd rather dish out contract payment+bonus for outstanding product. Why? Because that's how entertainment software is made.

Bill Gates made Microsoft, but all its software products were made by his league of extraordinary geeks. Not just him.

As I have found, good troops respond well to money, and not much else. That part is a simple understanding.

Paid troops=hard work=finished, functional, well made product/prototype.

I.. suppose you could count my animated (not programmed) versions as prototypes, but they only seem to serve in demonstrating the idea.. very well too. I'm good with visual aids. my emphasis here is

I could go in front of an angel this moment, now.. with what I've crafted for it.. then build it all myself.. spend all his money.. pay him his principal+return+bonus (I do business the japanese way sometimes..) a year later.. and keep all the taxable profit myself.

I'd rather build this with a team, I'd rather build what comes after it with a team, but if I continue to have no luck in that effort, I most likely will boostrap-toothpaste-hammer-and-nail it.

I'd rather it not be my own personal infernal machine, though. Surely that has to make some sense.

Re: The Art of Raising Capitol - 04/21/07 07:55

i agree that if you have that! idea that noone had bevore and this idea will sell well. you should after checking pros and cons risk that probably. but be careful not to ruin your personal life for an idea.

@ fastlane: as for publishers i got offered some contracts and always there is some sentence that says like "if someone complains about the product or an damage to our image is done, you have to pay for that" i cant translate this a 100% but it works like this: image a company licenses your game, you signed such a contract, then a testmagazine somewhere gives the game 3% out of 100% possible and finds like 3 bugs in the game. this article is published. then imagine 3 customers complain about the game. further imagine your game wont sell.
this scenario is not uncommon.

the publisher can then sue you(at least in germany) for a) the money he possibly lost due to the image damage caused by you b) you have to pay for all copies the retail store sends back to the publisher.

now i dont see where there is a risk for the publisher? their contracts are made so that they have really zero risk, believe me. even if the game sucks they can come back to you and sue you for money. that thought in mind compared to the low revenues most publishers offer are really insane for a indie. thats probably why a lot of them go for self publishing online.

Re: The Art of Raising Capitol - 04/21/07 14:59

@ ulf

Exactly, bru. I weighed most of the pros and cons out when I came up with the idea.. shortly following the " holy crap.. that's a great idea" stage.

Also.. as a bit of a gestive sidenote:

I've ruined my personal life for every other reason.. why not one that wont cheat on me
Posted By: Nardulus

Re: The Art of Raising Capitol - 04/21/07 15:09

Fastlane is offering really solid advice.

I only have a few things to add.

1) Raising Capital is not an "Art" it is a "Science". You will need factual evidence that you will be able to produce a product using the funds. You will also need to supply solid histroical evidence that your game will sell x number of copies.

2) Think past just raising the funds. How are you going to pay that money back and what is the acceptable return for the investor. They are thinking in dollars, you need to also.

It's really not about the game it's about the money. If you can not demostrate that concpet to the person you are asking money from, you will have a hard time getting the funds.

Ken

Re: The Art of Raising Capitol - 04/21/07 16:00

@ fast and nard

I agree, completely.

These are steps I have already gone through, and go through repeatedly for freshness. Again, I know enough not to think that just a blank toilet seat idea will get attention.

My "How" most refers to.. who sought investors, who ran side businesses to raise the money, who sought mob loans (jk).

I've heard some people say they wrote grants (in my private convos with people over the years).

I think, though, I may have answered my own question somewhere in this. Still, this is good info for others.

I'm looking for resources more than an idiots guide to getting an investment.
Posted By: PHeMoX

Re: The Art of Raising Capitol - 04/21/07 23:49

Quote:

I used a bootstrap method:
Year 1: Built a small prototype (0 USD).
Year 2: Used this to raise some funds for a larger prototype (a few hundred USD).
Year 3: Used this to raise some funds for an even larger prototype (a few thousand USD).
Year 4: Once the prototype was convincing enough, I used it to raise enough money to build a demo (a few ten thousand USD).
Year 5: I'm currenlty building the demo that will (ideally) attract the investors to actually build the game (a few million USD).

Sounds like a 'ship burning' strategy to me, but at least you can tell somewhere halfway if you're ever going to make it. If nobody likes your idea or game or whatever concept, you'd find that out in step 3 or 4 at least.

Quote:

who sought mob loans

I actually got a really really shady offer once, but I didn't trust them right from start and along the way I started to feel really uncomfortable with them, so in the end the project never really took off. Not sure if it were mobsters off course,

Cheers

Re: The Art of Raising Capitol - 04/23/07 15:32

@ phemox Yea I dunno about those steps taking a year each.. especially not for SkySpace xD. It isnt nearly as big a project at a game would be, and wouldnt require a fraction of the millions a game would.

The prototyping is doable, though. I'm just an animator, but I've sat down for weeks at a time thinking of what I could do with just that.

My problem then becomes that I don't know of any specific individuals to bring it in front of.

Re: The Art of Raising Capitol - 04/23/07 22:46

Quote:

My problem then becomes that I don't know of any specific individuals to bring it in front of. [/quote}

Local gaming publishers may vary depending on where in Mich. you are. I don't know of any, but it's a possibility.

What is even more probable is that there is a Small Business Association branch or a SCORE meeting place. Here you would get tuned into the investment pipeline for your city. Note: you are not likely to get investors in a small town with a game. Try to sweep at least for a city or a state with support for IT and innovation. No small feat but ever state has it's own vision of how to innovate with technology and if you can align your project with there's, you should have a fighting chance at getting good start up funds.
Posted By: vartan_s

Re: The Art of Raising Capitol - 05/07/07 13:42

Basically, your idea is that rather than learn game design yourself, you'd pay people to do it for you.

Welcome to the real world.

Here's news... Bill Gates was a programmer. He did most of the work himself. Only after he succeeded did he start his now huge company, Microsoft. The truth is, if you go down the road your thinking of, your definitely not a game developer - you're a businessman, making investments and hoping you get the profit. And the reality of the situation is, you can only realisitically become a businessman if you have experience and a reasonable position to start off with.

You can't start a business with nothing - it requires skill, or money to start off with, and even besides that is requires experience. This is why most people find college an important part of education

Quote:

would it make more sense to round up and consult established mechanical engineers or go get a masters degree in mechanical engineering so that you could build it all yourself and answer all your own questions?

I'd get a master's degree. Why?

1. I need to know if my idea is realistic
2. I need to make realistic estimates of the costs that this will require
3. I need to start off with something, either money or skill to speak of, and without a degree I would have neither
4. I have no experience on how to go through with an idea, and how to deal with the experts. How do I know they have the experience to tackle the job? How do I know they're doing things right? How do I motivate them to work? How do I get them to work for me when they've been offered more prestigous jobs?
5. People want a steady project to stick to. Noone wants to get involved in a failure. Even with money people will hesitate to help you, because it just might not work out.
6. You might end up losing money (even with a good product) if you don't have the experience in business

Now, that's an analogy to game design. You can make the links yourself .
Posted By: eyebird

Re: The Art of Raising Capitol - 06/05/07 10:36

Quote:

ere's news... Bill Gates was a programmer. He did most of the work himself. Only after he succeeded did he start his now huge company, Microsoft. The truth is, if you go down the road your thinking of, your definitely not a game developer - you're a businessman, making investments and hoping you get the profit. And the reality of the situation is, you can only realisitically become a businessman if you have experience and a reasonable position to start off with.

Sorry but Bill Gates is a bussinesman he didnt do anything he bought the software but yes you are right he knew what was needed.

But if you want quality you need to use quality tools that means spend a lot of money (and save a lot of time)

Re: The Art of Raising Capitol - 06/05/07 13:50

Quote:

I'd get a master's degree.

Depending on the industry, a masters degree may or may not be an advantage. In general, jobs of a theoretical nature -most notably, teacher- or professions where entry is restricted -doctor, lawyer- will benefit from higher, formal education. Also, students graduating with higher degrees will have an advantage at the outset of their careers. Beyond that, you can't fake skill, so five years into your career you could find yourself in a higher income bracket than others with better paper credentials.

IT doesn't, as yet, have particularly tough entry requirements. In some cases you don't even need a bachelors degree. I would recommend a bachelors in any case. It isn't even vitally imortant what subject it is in, just as long as you have one. Higher positions, foreign visas and other opportunities may be barred to people without a four year degree (any subject okay).

If you want to raise capital, at least make sure you spell it correctly in your proposal (Capitol-sic), and demonstrate that you are capable and trustworthy.

It is very rare that an employer has asked to actually see my qualifications. Only once for a job, and once for a visa.
Posted By: bstudio

Re: The Art of Raising Capitol - 06/05/07 14:50

Quote:

Sorry but Bill Gates is a bussinesman he didnt do anything he bought the software but yes you are right he knew what was needed.

In his early days he was a programmer, he actually wrote a program to control traffic lights but when people found out he was very young they wouldn't buy it anymore. He wrote a BASIC interpreter for the altair 8800, so you can't say he wasn't a programmer
Posted By: JetpackMonkey

Re: The Art of Raising Capitol - 06/05/07 17:31

Here's how you get capital:

1. Figure out what you want to sell to whom.
2. Write a business plan. If you can't do this, forget it. Would you give someone your money if he or she did not have a plan? Read up on business plans. This can't be stressed enough.
3. Learn to make a cash-flow projection and budget
4. Have experience or a team who has experience collectively.
5. Hit the pavement and anticipate disappointment.
6. Go back to step 1. Don't stop trying.

That is so not-easy. You will have to spend probably as much time on the business plan as you do on your game. I should know, I have done it. My business plan has taken over 5 months to develop. It's gotten a few slightly positive "hmmm"'s from different firms so far. I do not have false expectations that it will bring anything. But if you want to try, you have to be very very serious and hardworking.

Read up on starting a business and developing a plan. The cash-flow projection is critical because it shows how money will flow out (expenses) and back in (profit). People want to see a strong, realistic cash flow projection.

If this sounds like a headache, focus on making the coolest indie game you can and enjoy the creative process with a couple of other people. A good indie game can open other opportunities. Look at Media Molecule - they made the indie game, Rag Doll Kung Fu, and got a contract to develop the awesome title, Little Big Planet, for the PS3.

Good luck!
© 2024 lite-C Forums