Bad guy wins...?

Posted By: Germanunkol

Bad guy wins...? - 06/04/07 19:31

I've always wondered: what do you guys think about a game from a bad guy's type of view?
Imagine a game or movie where the bad guy's the one "telling the story"... and the good guys still win...?
Any thoughts?
I guess most people want to have a happy ending to their games... something to achieve. If you're the bad guy and loose, it'd be frustrating... even if you're supposed to. But I think it'd be interesting...
And fun to see done.
Posted By: Damocles

Re: Bad guy wins...? - 06/04/07 19:38

First of all, the player is playing the guy,
and the player wants to win (why else put so much effort into playing well)

The other thing is, that most people considder themselve to be "good".
So the main character is mostly a "good" guy.

A way would be to still "win" the game / finish it, but
with disastreous results to your original intentions.
-> like blowing up the world, since you reaced the bomb 1 sec to late, or so.
-> or killing the Big opponent, an then finding out, this is yourself in the future.

Winning as a bad guy, is also possible,
you just need to be able to identify yourself with him (DungeonKeeper for example)
Posted By: Error014

Re: Bad guy wins...? - 06/04/07 21:34

Quote:

I've always wondered: what do you guys think about a game from a bad guy's type of view?

GTA comes to mind

---

The concept of having to "lose" to win the game - regardless from the moral side of the playercharacter...

I think that it is a very intruiging concept, although hard to pull off. One way is to let the player play several characters to see the story from all the different sides. I think (but I may be wrong, I haven't played it) Indigo Prophecy went that way. And then there are games like Ico and Shadow of the Colossus - from what I've read (again, I haven't played them, sadly), they both have a very peculiar feeling to them and you never feel quite comfortable with what you're doing.

Most people think that the ultimate goal with your game is to entertain your player, maybe make him laugh and overall to let him have fun. This is what (most) games have been doing for the last years and it goes pretty well. However, from all the games on the market, only very, very few of them tell a good, interesting story with well-developed charakters. You can do without them if you want a "fun" game or if you just want to get some feeling across ("OMG IM IN A SPACESTATION AND THERE ARE ALIENS EVERYWHERE") - but in the long term, thats nothing that could make games really evolve.

A game where you have to escape from everything and everyone whos out to get you, only to be cornered at the last moment with a decision between only terrible outcomes - that is something that right now is pretty much unthinkable for most gamedesigners. Personally, I think it would be an intruging concept. A game that after hours trying to keep my character alive, only to have him commit suicide at the very end of it - that can be either extremely frustrating or thoughtprovoking (or, possibly, both). How it will end up depends on the situation, the story and the character itself. In the end, it would be a tragedy, but if you do it right, you may be able to get a nice little message across - or just to evoke emotions in the player.

Of course, you can also ignore all that and still make a game around the bad guys (i.e. Dungeon Keeper, which is a classic game just with the sides reversed, in essence).

Personally, I think that before we can even think to create games like this in the way I described it, we have to improve the stories of our games - by alot. Most of us in this forum - well, most don't. I'm guilty of that as well: My "Experimental-Series" all have no story at all and no characters to identify with. I swear, I will do that better next time.

Let's have a look at the Showcase, shall we?
Right now, I'd say that one, maybe two (not so sure about Angelas World 2) out of twelve serious projects really thought about their story (this is from the first page of the Showcase I-forums, I only counted real games) and that the story is one of the primary aspects of the game. True, sometimes its not necessary, but its still pretty low. Some teams here tell you what there story is and you immediatly see that it was only a weak afterthought, that it doesn't make sense and that it doesn't even take a minute to completely rip it apart. As long as one isn't able to tell more about all major characters and answer most important questions about the world and the story, one isn't quite finished with the story, I'd argue. And as long as we don't care about stories, it doesn't really matter what happens in the end - you can't expect the plaer to "feel" something about "LOL A CITY" with no notable characters or anything that feels alive.

Which brings up another interesting point, really: Are we indy developers even ABLE to tell such a story in a game thats not totally linear? I'd argue that it would take way to long to do otherwise.
Posted By: Hellcrypt

Re: Bad guy wins...? - 06/05/07 00:09

Also god of war 2; where Kratos must kill Zeus and become the ultimate god. Always refreshing to be the bad guy and kill everyone who even looks at you funny.
Posted By: achaziel

Re: Bad guy wins...? - 06/05/07 00:16

but why not make a game where you actually play the good guy and let the bad guy win? or even better, let the good guy turn bad (silent hill 2...)
Posted By: Orange Brat

Re: Bad guy wins...? - 06/05/07 02:26

There are plenty of games and movies where the bad guy or villain is the "hero." It's called an anti-hero (well sort of..anti-heroes are kind of a different thing than a villain).
Posted By: xXxGuitar511

Re: Bad guy wins...? - 06/05/07 03:49

Or leave the decision to the player (Fable)
Posted By: JibbSmart

Re: Bad guy wins...? - 06/05/07 06:45

or have most of the NPCs think you are against them when you are actually for them... DUN DUN DUHN!!! (musical notes there)

not like undercover, which basically is the same as being the badguy and following the story (driver); instead people blame you for something because of being framed or some sort of deal you made, or a secret that you need to protect. having to protect people who are trying to avoid/capture/kill you. points based on how many you save -- how many you DON'T kill.

potentially frustrating, but in the right hands (mine j/k) it could be an involving story and an enjoyable game.

julz

Re: Bad guy wins...? - 06/05/07 06:55

Wow, lots of answers.

"There are plenty of games and movies where the bad guy or villain is the "hero." It's called an anti-hero (well sort of..anti-heroes are kind of a different thing than a villain)."

I agree... I've played games like that. GTA, as error014 mentioned. You're definitely the bad guy... but you still don't feel like you're "bad", I believe. Or, when you win, YOU win, not the bad side wins. There's nothing wrong with you winning.
Then again, if you'd really be a "bad" guy, say like an SS member in WW2, killing innocent people, I would refuse to play the game. Killing people in counterstrike is one thing, killing innocent people in a War that actually happened sure wouldn't make me feel good, and I'd not like to see something like that in a game.

Error014, i liked what you said about stories. You're totally right. Stories aren't as good as they should be.
Maybe that's the reason it's so hard to make games with the "bad" guys winning.
You talked about a game that in which the player does everything right and still "looses". I've played a game like that, although I don't remember what it was. There was someone attacking you, and you kept on getting pushed back. But in the end, I still won, so it doesn't count... ^^

I guess all the games where you're "bad" either don't give you a story to it or don't give a choice of action, or else they make the being "bad" right. Like Prince Arthus or whatever his name is, in Warcraft 3. He gets turned bad while trying to save the world from evil.

Micha
Posted By: lostclimate

Re: Bad guy wins...? - 06/05/07 10:59

well i like things like the gta games, were in your local perspective, your the good guy, your trying to accomplish something, but on a public view your the bad guy.
Posted By: Machinery_Frank

Re: Bad guy wins...? - 06/05/07 12:19

Did you ever play Mafia? You turned from an usual taxi-driver into a really bad guy. And you can "win" all your levels but the player dies in the final cut-scene. You were evil, you know, and this was the paycheck

In some RPG's you had to melt your evil and your good side to end the game and this resulted in death as well.

I think this approach is not new at all. But to be honest: There are so much people around the world and there have been. All stories are told. We can only alter them and put them into a new location. That is nothing new but still can create amazing stuff.
Posted By: xXxGuitar511

Re: Bad guy wins...? - 06/05/07 14:13

Quote:

say like an SS member in WW2, killing innocent people

I'd love a game like that! But it would be too easy... A breed between SplinterCell and BlackHawkDown. Stealth killer against retards throwing rocks...

i'm just messing with you all. I really don't mean that
Posted By: tompo

Re: Bad guy wins...? - 06/06/07 10:40

It doesn't matter for me to be a good or bad character in game. Both parts are interesting (if you can chose between them during the game I will always play twice) if of'course game is good enought
More importand and interessting for me is not to "save the world" (again) but to care of myself like GTA, Mafia, TR... etc
But if you are the good guy and bad gay will win... it means you'll lost... so you making this about 50 times in game when you are die and have to load saved game so don't do it... just die, turn off computer and bad guy will win
Posted By: Puppeteer

Re: Bad guy wins...? - 06/06/07 15:21

Ever played "Star Wars Republic Commando"?
In the end you find out that you were on the bad side...
But the end is anyway kind of sad.
Posted By: Doug

Re: Bad guy wins...? - 06/06/07 16:41

Quote:

Ever played "Star Wars Republic Commando"?
In the end you find out that you were on the bad side...
But the end is anyway kind of sad.

Same thing with the XBox360 game Crackdown.
I was hoping in the end you could take down the organization you worked for, but no luck.
Posted By: Xarthor

Re: Bad guy wins...? - 06/06/07 21:05

@derOmega:
I didn't had the feeling to have been on the "bad side" in "Star Wars Republic Commando" but may I just don't remember?
Well I still remember that you had to leave one Commando member behind.
But you saved the Wookies (for example).
Or did I miss something?
Posted By: broozar

Re: Bad guy wins...? - 06/06/07 21:59

playing shooters, you are forced to use brutal violence to achieve your goals. aren't you always a bad guy then?
__

play chronicles of riddick
Posted By: MadMark

Re: Bad guy wins...? - 06/06/07 22:58

Good point Broozar. Good versus bad is really about perspective and goals. Anyone that doesn't match mine is on the "other" side...

Mark

Re: Bad guy wins...? - 06/06/07 23:29

Quote:

playing shooters, you are forced to use brutal violence to achieve your goals. aren't you always a bad guy then?

Violence doesn't automatically equal bad, so no it doesn't.

Re: Bad guy wins...? - 06/07/07 17:41

fighting violence with violence does not make you look different from you enemies. if violence isn't bad, what else is? i agree there are certain shades of displaying it on the screen.
Posted By: Inestical

Re: Bad guy wins...? - 06/07/07 19:23

Ever finished HL2? In the end you and your teammate Alyx dies (muahahahah, she doesn't)

Happy ending? yes.

Why? It was that tyou prevented the bad, but the bad still won.

Letting the bad dude win is easy. Just one thing to take care of. The player must agree that the good guy died and lost (for whatever the reason was).
Posted By: Blattsalat

Re: Bad guy wins...? - 06/07/07 20:45

noooooo, and i havent finisht hl2 yet

Re: Bad guy wins...? - 06/07/07 22:35

Quote:

You talked about a game that in which the player does everything right and still "looses". I've played a game like that, although I don't remember what it was. There was someone attacking you, and you kept on getting pushed back. But in the end, I still won, so it doesn't count... ^^

Hmm... I remember that Jedi Knight II had a sequence like this, somewhere at around the end of the first third of the game. It had a fight that you couldn't win, but of course nobody told 'ya. I spend all my hard-earned healthcontainers on that one. It was extremely frustrating, especially because I always quit when I saw that I haven't had a chance. In the end, I had to refer to a guide to see that I couldn't win that one. The situation wasn't clear enough, thus it became frustrating (at least for me). The rest of the game was cool, don't get me wrong, but that part? Cool idea, bad execution.

Quote:

Error014, i liked what you said about stories. You're totally right. Stories aren't as good as they should be.

Hah, thanks. I seem to have missed the point of the thread, though. I still believe in what I've said. I've toyed with the idea to open a thread to discuss how to develop characters and how to present and write your story so its intruiging, fun and not too boring (right now, I'm struggling in my game to introduce a million things without it ending up as a book ). Any interest in that?

Another interesting aspect about this is the moral dilemma you as a developer are in. Is it actually okay to have the player do something bad? Right now, its pretty much "yes" if we talk about shooting and stealing. You still have to draw a line somewhere, though. If the player stops playing because he can't accept what he does morally, then you lost. You have to find the balance between whats "bad and cool" or "bad and acceptable" as long as there is a fun gameplayexperience and maybe a storybehind it and whats "just bad". Of course, this is different for everyone, but the more extreme you do it, the smaller the targetaudience becomes. Sadly, this is also true for the reverse: If you make it too familyfriendly, self-declared, 13-year old "mature gamers" won't play the game. And thats quite a chunk of the market! That being said... please don't develop games for them.

Quote:

Or leave the decision to the player (Fable)

Sure thats possible. But for indydevelopers like us? I doubt it. We can't develop games as big as this, at least not in a reasonable timeframe. I might be all alone on this oen, but you have to take your possibilities into account. Yes, Acknex might (would) be able to power such a game - are we? It's hard enough to make a linear game!

Quote:

or have most of the NPCs think you are against them when you are actually for them...

In the right hands, maybe, but it will be a balancing issue from beginning to end. People play games to escape their boring everyday-life. They want to be a cool hero. It's fun to blow things up*, sure, but its even better if people know that you are the hero! I don`t know about you, but I make sure to visit any village in any RPG that I just saved just to hear people telling me I'm awesome. Maybe my ego is surprisingly small, but then again, everyone likes to get praise. I'd hate it if everyone I ever talked to would say "Oh, it's the guy that completely messed up my life!". Thats okay if its one person, sure, but everyone? At least include someone who knows about what the player is doing that encourages him.

GTA... well, one doesn't really feel evil. It's a giant "do-whatever-you-want". Be bad enough and the police is out to get you - until they've got you or until you escaped them. Thats it. I won't see on the news what I've done. Nobody in the city willEVER recognize me. Thats probably a good thing from a gameplay-perspective, but this way, you never really feel like the "bad guy" you are.

Quote:

All stories are told. We can only alter them and put them into a new location.

As you've said yourself already: Thats not an excuse for not trying to make up a good story, though! Even if every story might have been told somewhere by someone, there are still concepts that are overused way too much and some that will still feel "fresh". It's easier to make a (game)story about a submarine feel fresh than it is with an abandoned spacestation. One of them was seen a million times. The other oen... not so much. The less often your general scenario and setting is used, the easier it is to create a story that will truly surprise the player. Which is always a good thing. Be honest, aren't you tired of abandoned spacestation?

Okay, I'm done. You may now go on and rip my post apart. Can't wait!

(So... is there interest in a discussion about how to write stories and how to develop characters?)

--
*This is not a subliminal message to get you to blow something up

Re: Bad guy wins...? - 06/08/07 02:24

Quote:

fighting violence with violence does not make you look different from you enemies. if violence isn't bad, what else is? i agree there are certain shades of displaying it on the screen.

Fighting violence with violence does not make you the same as your enemy (or whatever you want to call the adversary). Violence can be used for noble purposes, and sometimes it must be used, and out in the real world sometimes someone just needs a good beating to get the point across. Words aren't the answer, so a kick to the head is the answer. Any questions?
Posted By: Inestical

Re: Bad guy wins...? - 06/08/07 11:05

Gomen, Blattsalat =/
Posted By: Machinery_Frank

Re: Bad guy wins...? - 06/08/07 11:19

Quote:

Which is always a good thing. Be honest, aren't you tired of abandoned spacestation?

You wrote a long post and I appreciate it since it is entertaining.

But to be honest: I am not tired of abandoned space stations. I am more tired of WW2 or fantasy with orcs and mages.

The advantage of space stations is: they look all different and in every station you find another kind of alien, another story another sci-fi scenario made with good imagination and maybe even new ideas.

But an orc is still an orc and a mage will always do some magic.

A submarine might be interesting but provides a very small environment.

And to turn back to the topic: Why not playing an alien and be at the evil side? I really enjoyed the game "Alien vs. Predator" and I rather played the Predator or the Alien than the Marines.

Re: Bad guy wins...? - 06/08/07 12:35

--about the violence aspect--
the average shooter: kill all to achieve your goals.
hitman series: you're a contract killer and earn money with the job. you even got to think a lot.

the average shooter gets usk 16. hitman has been on the german index for the concept, though you kill ~50 more people per level in an average shooter. thinking about this, i feel there is something wrong. who is good and who is evil?

--game concepts--
a space station is always a space station and a mage is a mage, true. but i've never seen a mage in a space station (star wars doesn't count as mages), so there are still stories to be told: the combination of elements counts.

why do you think "mensch ärgere dich nicht", chess, quake3arena and poker are still played today? board and card games are abstract enough to make the player use his imagination, most of the game is running beside the actual game: it is the human opponent factor that makes them interesting. the same is for q3a, counterstrike etc: it does not count if the graphics is 10 years beyond our time, it is the conscience of playing with humans. such games never age. for cs it's unimporant who's good or evil, so is for ball games.

@frank: yes, indeed. because snapping for heads was so much fun at least for me
Posted By: PHeMoX

Re: Bad guy wins...? - 06/08/07 16:27

Quote:

Hmm... I remember that Jedi Knight II had a sequence like this, somewhere at around the end of the first third of the game. It had a fight that you couldn't win, but of course nobody told 'ya. I spend all my hard-earned healthcontainers on that one. It was extremely frustrating, especially because I always quit when I saw that I haven't had a chance. In the end, I had to refer to a guide to see that I couldn't win that one. The situation wasn't clear enough, thus it became frustrating (at least for me). The rest of the game was cool, don't get me wrong, but that part? Cool idea, bad execution.

You can't tell the player that it's okey to 'loose', because you can't win anyways. There's no real solution to your tactic in playing this game. I bet by far most people do not stop playing before they actually have been 'beaten'.

Nowadays, these kind of gameplay problems get solved by letting the player deal an x amount of damage to the opponent and thén there will be a cutscene with whatever alternate ending such a scene would have.

For example in Prince of Persia this technique is used to sort of show to the player the second round of fighting is going to start with an increased difficulty. I'd say that's fair enough without giving away anything. They could have even turned around the whole thing, which they should have done in Jedi Knight II, let the player deal up to an x amount of damage to the enemy and when that artificial limit is reached, show a cutscene in which the player get's defeated and go on from there.

Quote:

hitman series: you're a contract killer and earn money with the job. you even got to think a lot.

the average shooter gets usk 16. hitman has been on the german index for the concept, though you kill ~50 more people per level in an average shooter. thinking about this, i feel there is something wrong. who is good and who is evil?

In fact, ever since part 2 I believe in was, there's this 'ranking'. Only killing your targets and not any civilians or bodyguards will rate you as being 'hitman'. So you're actually encouraged to not kill much people, well unless you have no problems with the 'massmurder' rating, but I think most people will take the challenge trying to kill only their targets.

I agree that the USK rating is off there, however I think it's also the virtual social context in which the killing happens. Killing an orc or a vampire obviously is different then killing a human in a somewhat realistic environment. I think that's the USK logic, and personally I disagree with it. What makes killing an unrealistic elf different from killing an slightly less unrealistic but still 100% fake human?

Quote:

a space station is always a space station and a mage is a mage, true. but i've never seen a mage in a space station (star wars doesn't count as mages), so there are still stories to be told: the combination of elements counts.

Star Wars Jedi knights and Sith knights do look and act a bit like mages. They have this 'wise-wizard' thing to them and off course their 'force' magic.

However, I agree a real space mage fantasy game hasn't been done yet, would be interesting perhaps.

Cheers

Re: Bad guy wins...? - 06/10/07 16:05

wow, lots of answers. cool, thanks!
I'm back...

Quote:

You have to find the balance between whats "bad and cool" or "bad and acceptable"

Yeah... I thought something that has to do with this.
I did not think of all those games all of you have mentioned, when i posted this topic. you're right. there are tons of games that make you play the bad guy. but there are none that make you feel bad.

okay. that being said, there are some. none just sounded better in that sentence.
I guess I should redefine "bad" at this point. because in gta you're "bad", and in counterstrike you're "bad". but when you play the game, you don't see yourself as being "bad". in gta, you accept what you're doing. you might not be like that in real life, but it's the way the game goes, you're fine with being the character you are, it's all good.
How about a game that makes you think about the actions you took in the end. Makes you regret that you have shot the innocent person. A game that leaves you free choice, but makes you pay or leaves you with a bad conscience. By "pay", I don't mean that you loose resources every time you kill an enemy villager, that would be nonsense, but "paying" in some other way. Like loosing the chance to get back onto the right track. Yes, I do realize I'm walking on very dangerous ground here. may be one of the reasons no one has done it yet. I mean, who wants to be confronted with a bad conscience while playing a game? How can a game developer be so annoying? It would disturb my idea of fun quite a bit. Also... if you don't do it exactly right, and get the wrong person playing it, it may look like you're promoting the killing of innocent people.
An example would be a military commander who has control over life and death. Killing may seem to be the better way. but in the end, you've killed someone who didn't deserve death, you're bad. it would make people think. Or, maybe, it would make people switch of entirely. but the first option would be intended...
Maybe this has already been done, but I'm playing the "wrong" games?
To achieve the effect, the victims would have to be much bigger characters. they would have to beg for mercy, and look realistic.
As soon as that comes in, the game may not be sold any more though, another problem, because you can't really promote the killing of innocents. that would be sick.

to wrap it all up:
winning a game in which you play the "bad" guy who would make you feel like you're bad...?
I find it an interesting concept...
Micha

P.S.
Quote:

Fighting violence with violence does not make you the same as your enemy (or whatever you want to call the adversary). Violence can be used for noble purposes, and sometimes it must be used, and out in the real world sometimes someone just needs a good beating to get the point across. Words aren't the answer, so a kick to the head is the answer.

Uh...
"No."
Any questions?
sorry. my opinion. u can come over and give me a "kick to the head". u have my permission. You'll see that it won't be the answer, cause it won't change my opinion.

and I'm not saying that I would never use violence. if I could save a life by hitting someone in the face cause he won't tell me how to, maybe I would. still it's not the answer.
Sorry... and please don't be mad at me, no offense intended.

P.P.S.
I would love such a thread, error014!!

Re: Bad guy wins...? - 06/10/07 18:11

Quote:

You can't tell the player that it's okey to 'loose', because you can't win anyways. There's no real solution to your tactic in playing this game. I bet by far most people do not stop playing before they actually have been 'beaten'.

Yes? You really think so? Let's say you're down to 10 HP up from 200HP (you know, games nowadays...!) and you haven't damaged him at all.. you would continue? Especially with quickload! Maybe I'm the minority here, but I'd get pretty frustrated and either start again or stop playing and never play again (sorry, game, you lost). It somehow has to be obvious that it's "okay to lose", yet you can't kill the suspension entirely. Maybe one could say that "if you were to win now, we'd be finished, but we wouldn't have lost completely if yu don't." Sure, the sentence needs a little work but I think that might be a good thing. If even I get frustrated, then whats with "non-gamers"? Maybe they quit and won't buy any other game for three years (after all, they just wanted to try that out and it was apparently not fun - not all of them will realize that it is only the (small?) fault of one game!)

Quote:

Nowadays, these kind of gameplay problems get solved by letting the player deal an x amount of damage to the opponent and thén there will be a cutscene with whatever alternate ending such a scene would have.

And that one's much better. Show me that I make progress, at least! But in that sequence, he'd block all my shots. Show me that I'm doing at least something correct, even though its not enough. I might even continue long enough, then

Quote:

A good point. What we have to consider is that while technically, the "standardshooter" is way more brutal, killing has a very different feeling to it. If you only see "soldier No. 342", who has no backstory and in most cases not even a name, then killing him will "feel" different than killing an established character. In one game, it might feel more like a simple mechanic and not like killing anyone whatsoever. If that is a good thing or not, I'm not so sure.

But why are shooters so stupidly popular these days? It's so unrealistic and it goes completely against anything I've ever learnt or might believe in. You see a new species? Well, kill them! I wouldn't do that in real life. Nowadays, (many) games expect you to do that. You see the weapon onscreen and you now that you probably have to shoot at most things in your view that move. The amount of games in which I solve most problems with communication is so close to zero, it's laughable. Sure, many people want to escape their boring life and become that next actionhero, but it is remarkable how different games and reallife have become. Not in the way of "how-many-bullets-before-you-die" - thats a rule in the game, nothing more - but in the way on how they expect us to think and react. Imagine you'd show such a game to your (grand)parents. Why do I have to shoot at anything and why do gamedevelopers assume us to think that way? Sure, in many games you can also sneak past them or something, but in general...

Adventure games have had a similar story. Over the years, the puzzles in many games have become so weird and unlogical that its more trial and error and most "normal" people would never be able to figure it out, as its so far out there. That was to serve the hardcore-crowd, but it might have led to their downfall, as it made it so difficult to get into it for anyone not used to that. Do FPS move in the same direction with their "weird" expections of the players' feelings, emotions and on how he`ll solve the problems provided (->shooting at them)?

Quote:

How can a game developer be so annoying? It would disturb my idea of fun quite a bit.

But isn't that an absolutely intruiging concept? Sure it's annoying and - yes, it's not fun. So what? Some of my favorite movies are "not fun". I have recommended books that are far from "being fun". Why is that not okay with games? There are some notable exceptions, but generally...

I agree though that due to the fact that it is interactive and the player might lose the feeling of being "just" an innocent bystander, we should be very, very careful as to what we are expecting the player to do. The big challenge is to not cross any moral barriers.

Quote:

An example would be a military commander who has control over life and death. Killing may seem to be the better way. but in the end, you've killed someone who didn't deserve death, you're bad. it would make people think. Or, maybe, it would make people switch of entirely. but the first option would be intended...

What you have to keep in mind is that for most people, he is "just" a soldier with no backstory, no name, no family, no anything. He doesn't have a past nor will he have a future as soon as you switch off the computer. Why should one care? That is - probably - why gamedevelopers can expect us to shoot anything after all . To make the player really think, you'd probably have to develop that character that has been killed. You have to think of a backstory for him. Where does he come from? What are his goals in life? Where does he live? How does he live? Is he happy? etc, etc. You can also tell the player only after he has made the decision (maybe that would be even more effective as far as emotional "impact" is concerned!). But many games don't even bother to do it with their main characters! What do we know about Sam Fisher? Lara croft? Although it sure isn't necessary for every game, thats something games really should change so people can take it seriously. My beloved PhoenixWright games (or Hotel Dusk, for that matter) have pretty well-developed characters. Tim Schafers games usually have (maybe always? I haven't played them all, I know, I'm a bad person ).
Everyone, play Phoenix Wright and Hotel Dusk. RIGHT NOW.

Did you ever thought about any character from a book or from a movie outside of the book/movie? I'm pretty sure you have. How often did that happen for a character from a videogame? Thought so.

Quote:

I would love such a thread, error014!!

Well, I don't know about the interest for the rest, but maybe I'll open such a thread. Or go ahead and do it, I'm fine with that as well

Re: Bad guy wins...? - 06/11/07 09:40

Quote:

"Ever thought about any character from a book or from a movie outside of the book/movie? I'm pretty sure you have. How often did that happen for a character from a videogame? Thought so.

nice. I like the way you put it! I'm sure many people will agree, I do.

Quote:

To make the player really think, you'd probably have to develop that character that has been killed. You have to think of a backstory for him. Where does he come from? What are his goals in life? Where does he live? How does he live? Is he happy? etc, etc.

That's exactly what I meant, yes. But I believe that you don't need to tell the player whether or not the character's married. Instead, make him scream, make him beg for mercy, and all of that will take care of itself. You'll know he doesn't ant to die.

I recall a scene from "Schindler's List". They drag a guy outside because he has not finished as many hinges as he could have. they pull the gun, try to shoot him: and it doesn't work. the get a new gun, doesn't work either. then they just let him live.
I don't think they showed you anything about the guy beforehand. they didn't tell you if he had a son or a daughter, they don't tell you if he had a happy childhood. But when he is pushed to the ground, he cries, he begs for mercy. You don't need to know any more than that.
I certainly would feel bad killing that guy. Even if he's not alive as soon as I exit the game. Having this scene in a game would make the people really start having to show responsibility. they would have to start caring about their actions.

In Oblivion (yeah, I like taking that one as an example ), the "Shivering Isles", there was a scene in which I had to proove my loyalty. There were 3 guys, and they were caught. I was watching them. i had two buttons that I could press. one of them would make a guy insane, the other would kill him. I had to choose 3 times. I heard the 3 guys talking while they were walking into the trap. They were just after some treasure, and they were like any other treasure hunters in the game. They only talked for about 60 secs or so, and I already "knew" them.
I did it. I killed one, and drove two insane (I don't think I meant to kill him, but I was curious, and I pressed the wrong button). The insanity wasn't much better than death though.
Later on I met them again. They were in a cage. the people gave me their things, one of them was a sword which had a diray with it. I got to know more about their story after I was "done" with them. It was a very well done part, even if their emotions could have been shown better. I think this is exactly what you were talking about.
I still have a bad conscience now. It makes you imagine what you'd do in real life. I think computer games should do that. I hate the developers of "Shivering Isles" for making me act like this though.
I was the bad guy. Even if all I wanted was to save the world, i was bad.

Quote:

But isn't that an absolutely intruiging concept? Sure it's annoying and - yes, it's not fun. So what? Some of my favorite movies are "not fun". I have recommended books that are far from "being fun". Why is that not okay with games? There are some notable exceptions, but generally...

Hardly any of my favourite movies are fun at all. Schindlers List is one of them. "Swing Kids", another WW 2 movie as well. But they don't make YOU feel like you're the accused. But you're right, somehow they do touch even more than movies that have an entirely happy ending. Make you think. And I want to see that in computer games.
Posted By: ExtraCortex

Re: Bad guy wins...? - 06/11/07 13:15

Quote:

Go play black&white and tell me in wich side you are...
Posted By: PHeMoX

Re: Bad guy wins...? - 06/12/07 23:39

Quote:

Quote:

Go play black&white and tell me in wich side you are...

Well, to be honest, Black & White and even Black & White 2 are flawed games when it comes to good an evil. Choosing for good is way harder than choosing for evil and also the 'good' strategy takes a lot more time. Besides, when I'm 100% good my creature is doing 100% evil stuff mostly. Why doesn't the creature's alignment influence my own? I mean, it's me who says it's okey to feed on enemy villagers after all.

I think it's very possible to let the bad guy win, however you hardly ever see it in movies and if you do, there's always sómething that went good or had a good end somehow. When the bad guy wins, it's usually either a part 1 of a trilogy or everybody dies but the initial mission was accomplished anyways, giving it a happy end still. Did the bad guy win? Yes and no.

For an example of the latter I'd suggest everybody to go and watch this new 'Sunshine' movie,

Cheers
Posted By: JibbSmart

Re: Bad guy wins...? - 06/13/07 09:19

it's difficult to make someone feel like the real bad-guy unless they are disturbed by their own actions -- if the emotion is strong enough, and the motive even stronger, the player finds themselves doing stuff they feel sick/bad about in order to pass the game.

that's the kind of game jack thompson would love to see released.

julz
© 2024 lite-C Forums