Perfect Space Shooter?

Posted By: croman

Perfect Space Shooter? - 01/06/09 13:51

What would be your perfect multiplayer space shooter? How would it look like? Throw some ideas about gameplay. For example, how would you like to control your ship, with mouse and keyboard, joystick, on what exactly?
How would you like to battle in space? Fast pacy action or with different types of ships (fighters, bombers, rocketiers etc.) Would you like to battle in empty space or in places like asteroid fields, space station, or even fleet vs. fleet battle?

Just give some ideas, how would you imagine a perfect(or at least good) multiplayer space shooter?

This is something like brainstorming... smile

Re: Perfect Space Shooter? - 01/07/09 11:47

no-one has an idea of a perfect space multiplayer shooter for him?
Posted By: Hitsch

Re: Perfect Space Shooter? - 01/07/09 12:18

This is a very open question and I don't think there is a perfect concept, mainly because we all have different opinions about the right game and because space shooters are 100% fictitious.

The one space shooter that I have in very good memory is of course the Star Wars: X-Wing series.
Since then I haven't really played any other that would have come close to that experience (good memories are hard to live up to, I know). What I liked about those was that you would fight on one side of two armys (not just against pirates by yourself), but you would only get a goal for the mission and then be completely free to move around. I think when we decide to play a space game we expect to have alot of freedom in terms of movement but also on how to manage our ship as in shields and energy managment.

So I think that overall feeling has to be right, otherwhise space shooters can easaly get boring, because you can't add much content, dockfighting has to be interesting by itself.

Ou right, Freelancer was one other space game that I really liked...

so long...
Posted By: Joozey

Re: Perfect Space Shooter? - 01/07/09 13:17

Yeah, freelancer was fun. Sins of a Solar empire as well. That's how I like shooting in space.
Posted By: broozar

Re: Perfect Space Shooter? - 01/07/09 13:18

freelancer gameplay with the ships from freespace 2.

Re: Perfect Space Shooter? - 01/07/09 13:19

thnx for the comment. i'm thinking of creating a mp space shooter where you can choose between two team and fight against each other. so i'd like you all to tell me how do you see the space shooter that you'd like to play
Posted By: Aabra

Re: Perfect Space Shooter? - 01/09/09 17:37

Subspace was a pretty good space shooter if you're looking for something that's *seriously* multiplayer.

Re: Perfect Space Shooter? - 01/09/09 19:15

that's 2d, if i'm seeing the right subspace game. i'm thinking of creating a 3d MP space shooter smile

Re: Perfect Space Shooter? - 01/10/09 22:21

What kind of a multiplayer do you mean? One verus one? Or are you thinking about creating a whole solar system and everybody can just fly around exploring?

I would start with a simple multiplayer dogfight where you start off face to face and you battle it out in free space. Then you could add fleets that back you up. I think that would already be a nice game by itself.
But if you want to take all this to multiplayer or expanding it to a whole galaxy, that would take a huge amount of time do develope.
Eve Online wasn't built in a day smile

so long...

Re: Perfect Space Shooter? - 01/10/09 22:24

And by the way, maslone1's project could be intersting for you.
http://www.opserver.de/ubb7/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=236076#Post236076

Re: Perfect Space Shooter? - 01/11/09 12:02

trust me, i know about hardness with creating MP games and about massive ones like EVE. but i have experience with MP also :P it's no problem to create something like this in MP. problems for me are more about models and levels but i find someone to take care of that later.

as i said i'd like to create MP battles around one planet or around a space base or even in asteroid fields with more players not just 1vs1

and fleet would be controlled with AI not by player. players should be in fighters, bombers, support missile ships and so. those fleet's big ships like cruisers will be shooting something like flaks all the way so the atmosfere of the game is intense. have you watched Battlestar Galactica series ever? i thought about creating something like that, only battles ofc smile

but i dont know on what way you'd like to control your ships. with mouse+keyboard, gamepad, joystick.
would you like it to be really fast paced or slower shooter?
Posted By: Xarthor

Re: Perfect Space Shooter? - 01/11/09 17:21

I'd love to see some fast-paced space-shooter which also supports a gamepad.

Re: Perfect Space Shooter? - 01/11/09 17:45

I like fast shooters, smaller and very fast moving ships. But I'm not much of a joystick or gamepad user, keyboard and mouse works just fine, but you could always let the player choose.

So if you're planing to have different ships why not make them very different to steer. Fast or slow so the player chooses whatever he feels like.

Re: Perfect Space Shooter? - 01/11/09 17:52

"So if you're planing to have different ships why not make them very different to steer. Fast or slow so the player chooses whatever he feels like." - ofc

gamepad and joystick and choosing the contoller options is not a problem but...about that mouse and keyboard. i dont know what way is the best to control the player. i mean how would you like to turn, rotate(with what buttons) and what about mouse?
can you tell me what buttons would you like to be used and for what?
Posted By: Xarthor

Re: Perfect Space Shooter? - 01/11/09 18:33

Well if you want to implement a mouse+keyboard control scheme, I think it would be best to rotate with the mouse movement, fire weapons with mouse buttons and control the speed and selected weapons via the keyboard.

however it would be nice to adjust all the keys in an options menu
Posted By: deyshawn

Re: Perfect Space Shooter? - 01/17/09 04:18

Yes, have the mouse control rotation, while two keys on the keyboard (w and s?) control speed. Maybe firing could be left-mouse click, and some kind of secondary weapon as right-mouse click.
© 2024 lite-C Forums