youtube portfolio

Posted By: Hummel

youtube portfolio - 11/08/11 21:31

For those who are interested:
I´m currently working on putting a lightweight portfolio together on youtube.
I plan to upload a new video every week, basically shader related stuff.
Happiness and kindness awaiting you on my new channel. laugh

Hummel
Posted By: JibbSmart

Re: youtube portfolio - 11/08/11 22:11

Very, very impressive! I'm subscribing. I've seen the first two before, and loved them. But this winter terrain shader is gorgeous!
Posted By: Iglarion

Re: youtube portfolio - 11/08/11 22:31

Wow! This is a beautiful. I'm subscribing to. Wavefield i've seen before but is always pleased to see it again.
Great work!
Posted By: Harry Potter

Re: youtube portfolio - 11/08/11 23:08

Wow, this is very impressive.
Especially the winter terrain looks great.
And I like the way the individual shaders work together in the wavefield demo.
Posted By: MrGuest

Re: youtube portfolio - 11/08/11 23:36

If there was a demo reel to show the best of what you can create for this concept. You couldn't ask for anything more!

Great work!
Posted By: lostclimate

Re: youtube portfolio - 11/09/11 03:24

I vote we all save as much money as we can to pay Hummel, boh_havoc, slin, and jibb to work non-stop in the same location on an intuitive shader library for acknex.im talking everything from hdr, dynamic shadowmapping, ssao,multitex, all with detail normal map capability. seriously guys, if i had it i'd give you a bajillion dollars. laugh

btw. i detect some simulated sss in there do i?
Posted By: Redeemer

Re: youtube portfolio - 11/09/11 04:07

The winter shader is breathtaking, well done!

Originally Posted By: lostclimate
I vote we all save as much money as we can to pay Hummel, boh_havoc, slin, and jibb to work non-stop in the same location on an intuitive shader library for acknex.

Having them work in the same location would cost us a lot of money, they'd do just fine collaborating over the internet. wink

But IMHO Conitec is the one who should be investing in these guys. It's too bad only the community has the will to actually push the development of Gamestudio forward in a serious fashion.
Posted By: JibbSmart

Re: youtube portfolio - 11/09/11 04:15

That's a very flattering mention! Especially considering who else is on the list laugh Thanks, John!

I think Hummel's Winter terrain shader is a great example of artistic shader programming. Each layer is blended and rendered differently, showing artistic discretion in the development of a shader for a specific purpose. This is why, to me, shader programming is the perfect marriage of artistry and coding and, in the right hands, an engine with a great shader programming environment (such as A8, IMO) has the advantage over an engine with a great selection of built-in shaders but a more difficult shader programming environment (some other engines).

Once again, Hummel, great work! And correct me if you actually just wrote an uber generic terrain shader that somehow managed to produce your winter terrain by simply changing a few parameters and textures.
Posted By: lostclimate

Re: youtube portfolio - 11/09/11 04:27

Originally Posted By: JibbSmart
That's a very flattering mention! Especially considering who else is on the list laugh Thanks, John!

I think Hummel's Winter terrain shader is a great example of artistic shader programming. Each layer is blended and rendered differently, showing artistic discretion in the development of a shader for a specific purpose. This is why, to me, shader programming is the perfect marriage of artistry and coding and, in the right hands, an engine with a great shader programming environment (such as A8, IMO) has the advantage over an engine with a great selection of built-in shaders but a more difficult shader programming environment (some other engines).

Once again, Hummel, great work! And correct me if you actually just wrote an uber generic terrain shader that somehow managed to produce your winter terrain by simply changing a few parameters and textures.

lol np. someone just posted a few weeks back about how technical artists are becoming the new big thing in the industry shaders are one good example. some others are procedural creation in general (shaders are often part of that) and programming the art of something, to me that is creating smaller systems like some of the projects ive seen that make walking more natural with body movements change depending on where the foot lands. Its really is becoming more and more of a demand as we get more and more tech in our hands laugh again, great job hummel.

Re: youtube portfolio - 11/09/11 14:49

Wow, thanks for the kind words guys!

Originally Posted By: Jibb
This is why, to me, shader programming is the perfect marriage of artistry and coding[...]
Don´t know how to express how much I agree with you. laugh

Originally Posted By: Jibb
And correct me if you actually just wrote an uber generic terrain shader that somehow managed to produce your winter terrain by simply changing a few parameters and textures.
No, I didn´t.^^

Originally Posted By: lostclimate
btw. i detect some simulated sss in there do i?
Probably, but I had to look in the shader to get sure. It´s been a while since I wrote this one. wink

Since I´m currently working on my 2d engine+tools, the videos will certainly present older shader work of mine for the next time.

Re: youtube portfolio - 11/12/11 22:11

New video: Velvet Bunny
Posted By: Progger

Re: youtube portfolio - 11/12/11 22:38

Very good
Hummel can you also make a realtime reflection car shader with texture would be very cool laugh
Greetings Progger
Posted By: Pappenheimer

Re: youtube portfolio - 11/13/11 01:11

The 'plushy' effect would do a good job in old dusty rooms of an abandoned hotel in a horror game. Don't know, how fast the shader is to fill a whole room with it, though.
Posted By: Superku

Re: youtube portfolio - 11/13/11 02:48

I appreciate your work but I don't get what's special about the bunny shader, what am I overlooking?
Posted By: WretchedSid

Re: youtube portfolio - 11/13/11 09:23

Look into the video description.

Re: youtube portfolio - 11/13/11 10:03

@Superku:

I thought I made it quite clear...the presentation even starts with a simple diffuse shading (right one in the pic) to show the difference. frown
But perhaps it simply looked so natural to you that you haven´t recognized it´s awesomeness tongue

@Progger: I could of course, but neither do I feel motivated nor do I have time. =\
Posted By: painkiller

Re: youtube portfolio - 11/13/11 12:56

viewing it in crosseye makes the velvet effect pretty awesome laugh

Re: youtube portfolio - 11/13/11 13:08

Yep, especially when using the Minneart term. That´s why I added the cross-eye scene. wink
Posted By: Superku

Re: youtube portfolio - 11/13/11 13:55

Yes, now I can see the effect clearly, looks cool. I was pretty drunk tonight, sorry. wink

Re: youtube portfolio - 11/18/11 20:47

This time it´s Mr. Ehec´s big moment: Bacterium
I guess the most of you already know Mr. Ehec. For those who do not, take a look at that thread. wink

Re: youtube portfolio - 12/10/11 22:22

Finally a LightFrog vid: Klick. laugh
Posted By: Rei_Ayanami

Re: youtube portfolio - 12/10/11 22:47

Did you work on LightFrog again or did you "just" arrange the scenes?

Also, the video is quite dark in general [a bit too dark I think] wink

Re: youtube portfolio - 12/10/11 22:50

No new scenes at all, just content which has been shown already. wink

Re: youtube portfolio - 12/10/11 23:10

Ah, okay, I haven't seen the last one before laugh
[I really hoped you would have started working on it again tongue ]

Re: youtube portfolio - 12/10/11 23:17

I would rather start from scratch.

Re: youtube portfolio - 12/10/11 23:21

Then you should do it.

[No, really, after I once tested Unity I am always shocked by Gamestudios abilities to handle lights and shadows and so on, that's why I really liked LightFrog, but I believe you wouldn't make that much money with it frown ]
Posted By: gri

Re: youtube portfolio - 12/13/11 07:40

Originally Posted By: Rei_Ayanami
Then you should do it.

[No, really, after I once tested Unity I am always shocked by Gamestudios abilities to handle lights and shadows and so on, that's why I really liked LightFrog, but I believe you wouldn't make that much money with it frown ]

But you stay'n here and that has its reasons laugh
Posted By: PadMalcom

Re: youtube portfolio - 12/13/11 09:36

Hummel, veröffentlichst du deine Entwicklungen eigentlich irgendwo? Ich kann nirgendwo etwas finden würde aber so gerne den ein oder anderen Shader benutzen.

Wenn du ein Package rausbringst gibts bestimmt einige (mich eingeschlossen) die dafür was springen lassen würden wink

Re: youtube portfolio - 12/13/11 13:37

Welchen vermisst du denn?
Posted By: Rondidon

Re: youtube portfolio - 12/13/11 14:34

Schau mal im Wiki unter "User Projects". Da habe die Sachen hinzugefügt. Wavefield z.B. kannst du da herunterladen.

Re: youtube portfolio - 12/13/11 14:57

Die Eislandschaft würde ich gern mal testen.

@Rondidon: Thx for the hint! laugh

Re: youtube portfolio - 12/14/11 23:29

Da du hast winter demo. wink
Use Ctrl to move faster.

Re: youtube portfolio - 12/15/11 09:29

Mein Weihnachtsgeschnenk laugh Danke!

Re: youtube portfolio - 12/16/11 09:12

Also außer der Skybox ist da bei mir nichts zu sehen... smirk

Re: youtube portfolio - 12/16/11 17:26

Let me guess, AMD graphics? -.-
EDIT: Well, just took a look in the shaders and recognized those are still using different shader models for pixel and vertex shader. I´ll update the download link with a new version as soon as the upload is ready. wink

Re: youtube portfolio - 12/16/11 17:28

That is correct...

Re: youtube portfolio - 12/16/11 18:11

Updated link.

Re: youtube portfolio - 12/17/11 19:04

This weeks video shows one of my lesser-known shaders: Layered Terrain + Bloom

Re: youtube portfolio - 01/15/12 09:33

Something new. laugh

(Klick to enlarge, cross-eye doesn´t work well with the preview)

Re: youtube portfolio - 04/10/12 18:42

New and fresh: Mini-Reef laugh

Re: youtube portfolio - 04/12/12 18:18

THIS is art!
Posted By: HeelX

Re: youtube portfolio - 04/12/12 20:08

Yes, this is awesome! What I really like are the water reflections (no kidding) and that you can see the geometry beneath the water surface. I am wondering: are you using a stationary mesh for the water or is it a displaced mesh to make the ocean infinite?

It would be quiet interesting to see how it would look like, if you add waves (mesh deformation!), shadow mapping, faked caustics and shores.

Re: youtube portfolio - 04/12/12 22:48

Thanks guys. It´s really just a rather simple effect. The Wavefield water was way more complex (geometric waves, infinite water + LOD, shores, 'under-water-support'). The under water terrain shader is actually using the same fake caustics like implemented in Wavefield but it´s probably barely visible through the water refractions if you don't know. Also it's true that the diffractions aren't perfect at all, but I didn't spend any extra time in improving those when I re-implemented the water (it's not a new shader). wink

Quote:
What I really like are the water reflections
Just recognised that I forgot to mention (in the video description) that the shader uses cubic env-reflections for the skycube reflection which looks way better than the simple bumpmap-distorted reflections from the reflect-view-rendertarget. Thx.^^
Posted By: HeelX

Re: youtube portfolio - 04/13/12 08:33

Is it possible for you to compile an executable or something?
Posted By: sivan

Re: youtube portfolio - 04/13/12 10:04

yeah, that water is really cool,
and that terrain thing is also very interesting, it's like a vulcanic asteroid or something...

Re: youtube portfolio - 04/15/12 13:40

Mini-Reef Demo: http://www.wikiupload.com/Y550GS7UUWN4K26

No source code included, it's simply too hacky.^^
But you can ask if you wanna learn more about general concepts or details of certain parts of the implementation.
© 2024 lite-C Forums