7 Reasons You Don't Want To Work in the Video Game Industry

Posted By: Hummel

7 Reasons You Don't Want To Work in the Video Game Industry - 11/21/11 17:36

7 Reasons You Don't Want To Work in the Video Game Industry
..sounds like a lot of fun. laugh
Posted By: Slin

Re: 7 Reasons You Don't Want To Work in the Video Game Industry - 11/21/11 17:55

Well, it for sure isnīt really wrong, but I am sure that there are also some positive examples, where gamedev can be the dreamjob it is supposed to be.
Posted By: alibaba

Re: 7 Reasons You Don't Want To Work in the Video Game Industry - 11/21/11 18:46

I donīt want to work, because i hate to sit for over 5 hours a day in front of my pc.
Posted By: Damocles_

Re: 7 Reasons You Don't Want To Work in the Video Game Industry - 11/21/11 18:52

Quote:
It just means you’ll have to do your 18-hour programming day somewhere the one person willing to have sex with you isn’t. Usually Poland.

harhar
Posted By: HeelX

Re: 7 Reasons You Don't Want To Work in the Video Game Industry - 11/21/11 20:36

Originally Posted By: alibaba
I donīt want to work, because i hate to sit for over 5 hours a day in front of my pc.

I would be so happy, if I could "only" sit 5 hours a day in front of the PC *sigh*
Posted By: WretchedSid

Re: 7 Reasons You Don't Want To Work in the Video Game Industry - 11/21/11 21:02

I would feel terrible bad if I could only sit 5 hours/day in fron of the PC =/
Posted By: lostclimate

Re: 7 Reasons You Don't Want To Work in the Video Game Industry - 11/21/11 21:30

Amen. to every one of those.
Posted By: Joozey

Re: 7 Reasons You Don't Want To Work in the Video Game Industry - 11/21/11 21:54

Quote:
Despite its self-glamorization as a cool wolf pack having fun, wolf-packing around, the video game industry is serious business. And like any serious business, the people who make that serious business work are more or less interchangeable parts in a horrible machine of sadness.

In other words: don't find a job. Jobs are serious business, and so are a horrible machine of sadness by definition.

So, they talk about one section of game industry. But game industry also include small companies working on commercial or educational serious games. (Depending on your taste) those game projects can be really fun! During my internship I worked on a manage-your-shop game for a low school training program, I sat with my nose above the development of a serious game for the Dutch military (the swedish military also had this awesome cooperation game). It was really interesting to see. The company made some pretty nice games, and all employees had a normal 8 hour work day. Then there's work in the indy section, altough requires a great deal of persistance and dedication, it nullifies nearly all points summed up there.

So if you want to work in the hardcore gaming industry, then some points might be true. But some points hold true for any job. "You can't complain". Really? Is that anything new?

The fact that they bring up an example from class clearly shows the article was aimed at students who think too easily about the gaming industry, not joe average with any random job where these points may also apply to.

And of course you will get fired if your company/team/project is dedicated to only 1 subject, and not looking forward. If, however, you choose a more reliable and stable organisation/business, and you get a non-temporary contract, you will not get fired. But that's a choice you make in life. Doesn't depend on the gaming industry.
© 2024 lite-C Forums