Ideas for "Simple" games wanted!

Posted By: EvilSOB

Ideas for "Simple" games wanted! - 01/07/12 18:11

Hi all!

As Im sure youve seen me around for a while now, so you know I aint a noob.

But up till now Ive only been working on 'bits' of other peoples
projects, and two (now down to one) MEGA-project.

The problem is, and Im sure you are aware, STARTING your 'career'
with a mega-project is suicide, and a slow one at that.

So Im looking for ideas for a mini-project ... my FIRST.

So Im looking at a 'casual' game level. Preferably with a bit
of every technical aspect included. Shaders, physics, animation, etc.
(not looking at multiplayer though)

So Im looking for GAME ideas/concepts. I just cant think of anything SMALL...

So Im hoping you guys can through some ideas at me, and I'll
compile a mish-mash of them for the game.

Thanks guys...
Posted By: JibbSmart

Re: Ideas for "Simple" games wanted! - 01/07/12 20:02

Great grin This is a very good move, and I look forward to seeing whatever you come up with.

Assuming by "not looking at multiplayer" you specifically mean network/online multiplayer, here's my idea:

I vaguely remember a long time ago playing a simple 2D shared-screen multiplayer game. It was viewed from side-on, but I wouldn't call it a "side-scroller" simply because the entire level fit within the view, so there was no "scrolling" to be had.

The premise is simple and based on how Nintendo's Mario defeats his enemies: jump on your opponent's head. This was a multiplayer game (no online -- just shared keyboard, or one player on mouse, or players using gamepads) in a small platform-style level where you are trying to jump on each other's heads. It was really chaotic, and a lot of fun if I remember correctly. Jumping on an enemy's head would explode them in a shower of bodily organs as the jumping player bounces high into the air.

For your version, there's no reason it couldn't be 3D models, animations, shaders and so on a la Little Big Planet. You could also add bots relatively simply. You could start extremely simple (run, jump, explode in a shower of vitals), and fairly easily add more layers of controlling depth (wall-jump, roll-dodge) without making it too complex for two players to play on one keyboard. You could also add bots and environmental hazards (I think the one I played had spikes) and other environmental factors (I think the one I played had slippery ice and water you could swim in).

If anyone can remember the name of this game, I'd love to know. I haven't been able to find it.
Posted By: MasterQ32

Re: Ideas for "Simple" games wanted! - 01/07/12 22:45

Could it be Jump'n'Bump?
It fits exactly your description and it's really funny to play

another Idea for you:
Something like castle crasher, Ballerburg, ...
Setup your cannen (strength, direction) and try to shoot the enemies base (kill the king, destroy all banners, ...)
Should be that hard and you can also do it shared keyboard multiplayer
Posted By: Redeemer

Re: Ideas for "Simple" games wanted! - 01/07/12 22:55

Originally Posted By: MasterQ32
Could it be Jump'n'Bump?

Yes, I also believe that Jibb's mystery game matches the description of Jump'n'Bump.

Back to the topic at hand, Combat Tanks is a very simple yet very fun game that I've often considered cloning in Gamestudio myself. You should take a look at it and see what you think. I remember having a lot of fun playing this game with my brother when I was 10.
Posted By: JibbSmart

Re: Ideas for "Simple" games wanted! - 01/07/12 23:23

Quote:
Could it be Jump'n'Bump?
It fits exactly your description and it's really funny to play
Yes grin Thanks guys!
Posted By: Superku

Re: Ideas for "Simple" games wanted! - 01/08/12 00:15

Something like Bejeweled or a top down shooter like Sergeant Rampage (multiplayer would be fine here, though, probably even a must).
Posted By: Damocles_

Re: Ideas for "Simple" games wanted! - 01/08/12 00:50

A casual top-down racing game.
Where the player can pick up powerups and shoot at enemies
while trying to finish the track first.

Posted By: lostclimate

Re: Ideas for "Simple" games wanted! - 01/08/12 01:03

Originally Posted By: JibbSmart
Great grin This is a very good move, and I look forward to seeing whatever you come up with.

Assuming by "not looking at multiplayer" you specifically mean network/online multiplayer, here's my idea:

I vaguely remember a long time ago playing a simple 2D shared-screen multiplayer game. It was viewed from side-on, but I wouldn't call it a "side-scroller" simply because the entire level fit within the view, so there was no "scrolling" to be had.

The premise is simple and based on how Nintendo's Mario defeats his enemies: jump on your opponent's head. This was a multiplayer game (no online -- just shared keyboard, or one player on mouse, or players using gamepads) in a small platform-style level where you are trying to jump on each other's heads. It was really chaotic, and a lot of fun if I remember correctly. Jumping on an enemy's head would explode them in a shower of bodily organs as the jumping player bounces high into the air.

For your version, there's no reason it couldn't be 3D models, animations, shaders and so on a la Little Big Planet. You could also add bots relatively simply. You could start extremely simple (run, jump, explode in a shower of vitals), and fairly easily add more layers of controlling depth (wall-jump, roll-dodge) without making it too complex for two players to play on one keyboard. You could also add bots and environmental hazards (I think the one I played had spikes) and other environmental factors (I think the one I played had slippery ice and water you could swim in).

If anyone can remember the name of this game, I'd love to know. I haven't been able to find it.

on one of its showcase back in the day they had a game like this with actual mario sprites they called super bash brothers. it was basically what you said with power ups. kind of a 2d super smash brothers.It was a lot of fun.

Re: Ideas for "Simple" games wanted! - 01/08/12 04:31

Excellent! Great ideas so far. And nothing yet seen will be ignored...

But I think I need to specify at this point... SINGLE PLAYER ONLY at this time.
I guess I just phrased my request rather poorly.

But after reading some of the suggestions to date, I think I will consider
adding 'split-screen' or shared-keyboard for dual players.
Assuming the games core-concept/story allows for it.
And if all goes well, I may even sharpen my teeth on TRUE miltiplayer for version TWO...

Thanks to all and keep em coming...
And BTW, this is a never-to-be-published game, so copyright issues are no concern.

ATM Im leaning toward a Bump'N'Jump like game, with powerups.
But this could change/mutate at any time...

Posted By: 3run

Re: Ideas for "Simple" games wanted! - 01/08/12 10:13

Simple survival 2D (from a side), while shooting all enemies!
The main idea is, that while shooting, player is pushed to the opposite direction!
Idea isn't mine, I just played this wonderful game!
Ammo Roar
It is very simple but very fun! This could be easily made by PhysX!!

Re: Ideas for "Simple" games wanted! - 01/09/12 02:41

Shooting things is always fun, esp. in multiplayer, but as you want to focus on singleplayer games, have a look at the following illustration/ sketch I've made some time ago for the community project:

(gravity manually adjustable or by switches/ ...)
You could create a local multiplayer mode (shared keyboard) where the two players control either sphere or box.

Or create a game (jump'n'run, arena jump'n'run, jump'n'shoot/...) where the focus lies on two players that are connected through a string/ ellastic rope.
Posted By: sivan

Re: Ideas for "Simple" games wanted! - 01/09/12 10:24

when I was a child I played a lot C64 games, and I've ever expected a new Last Ninja clone. small, one screen isometric levels with one or a few enemies in each, or some other task. it could be somehow upgraded a bit to a 3d world... said to be action-adventure.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Last_Ninja#Levels

pics of a remake that seems to be unfinished:
http://justonemoregame.wordpress.com/2010/09/05/exclusive-first-5-screens-from-last-ninja-remake/
Posted By: ratchet

Re: Ideas for "Simple" games wanted! - 01/09/12 23:05

Youtube : Type Iphone game !

You should find lot of simple games, but also lot of great ones and really fun and well rated !
Posted By: Joozey

Re: Ideas for "Simple" games wanted! - 01/10/12 01:22

tower defence \o/
Posted By: 3run

Re: Ideas for "Simple" games wanted! - 01/10/12 19:13

Some videos to inspire you friend:
Rolling Fall Walkthrough Level 31-40
RedStar Fall Levels 1-20
Ricochet Kills 2 - Level 1-50 Gameplay
I would like to make something similar to those game as soon as I'll get some free time..

Re: Ideas for "Simple" games wanted! - 01/11/12 10:44

An Angry-Birds type clone.

You Can use the physics engine for that,
not much selfmade gamelogic to program then.

Re: Ideas for "Simple" games wanted! - 01/11/12 17:08

Please no more Angry Birds type games, it's one of the worst games I've ever played (I'm dead serious).
Posted By: WretchedSid

Re: Ideas for "Simple" games wanted! - 01/11/12 17:50

Originally Posted By: Superku
Please no more Angry Birds type games, it's one of the worst games I've ever played (I'm dead serious).

Signed

Re: Ideas for "Simple" games wanted! - 01/12/12 12:13

Hiya guys... Lots of excellent ideas. Keep em coming!

Ive already chosen my FIRST one, cause it seem the it 'should' be fast.

You can find it in THIS POST!

Bear in mind, its still very WIP, being only three days old.
And it is only the wip of version "1.0", and I forsee two more
advanced version in the near future...

Please check it out and let me know what you think...

And this is only my FIRST game-concept gleaned from this thread.
I expect others to follow soon after, so be aware that nobody's ideas
youve handed me are being ignored!

Thanks for the help guys...

Re: Ideas for "Simple" games wanted! - 03/02/12 04:47

Make a moving Cylinder projection game.

Quote:

Many shooter games have traditionally calculated world collision and bullet impacts by modeling bullets as instantaneous line traces and characters as moving collision cylinders. In this case, the line-projecting cylinder is the fundamental nature of the character - the character's substance. The image of a fighter, the sounds he makes and the way he animates is the character's style.

A character can thus be, as a thought exercise, stripped of his style and considered simply as an abstract cylindrical game piece that slides around a level, attempting to project lines into other cylinders.

Posted By: FoxHound

Re: Ideas for "Simple" games wanted! - 03/23/12 21:21

How about an updated "PIT FALL" game. Those were always fun, even the remakes.

Re: Ideas for "Simple" games wanted! - 03/24/12 00:14

Hey FoxHound...

Is the birthday in your profile legit?

You're not old enough to have played the old Atari2600's are you?

But if you ARE ... well ... Happy birthday dude!

Re: Ideas for "Simple" games wanted! - 03/25/12 03:36

I'm 32. Very much old enough to have played Atari 2600 and remember when Super Mario 1 was new.

Re: Ideas for "Simple" games wanted! - 03/25/12 04:16

Sorry dude. I didnt mean to be offensive or anything.

I guess my 43-year old brain isnt as sharp as it used to be.
I forgot how long the 2600 was active for...

Re: Ideas for "Simple" games wanted! - 03/25/12 16:54

You didn't Offend me. But I was one of those kids playing games at 3 and ring right out addicted to them. Only my age has changed since then.
© 2024 lite-C Forums