Making use of the game level in a melee game

Posted By: jumpman

Making use of the game level in a melee game - 06/19/17 15:23

Hi everyone

What are some ways you can use the environment a little more in a melee action game? In first person shooters, or shooting games in general, the range at which you can engage/affect your enemy is reletively far, moving in and out of cover, flanking and etc, all of which makes you traverse the level.

But in a melee action game, the distance at which you engage in is much smaller. You get up to your enemy, and start swinging/strafing and etc. Im ok with this. But during combat, there really isnt too much reason to move around alot, get behind pillars, go to a certain spot.

What kind of game modes/gameplay ideas can you do to get your players and AI moving around the level? I was thinking of a conquest/domination mode. AI and players move to different flags, stay there to capture it, and if there is an enemy on the same flag, the flag wont be captured.
Posted By: Ch40zzC0d3r

Re: Making use of the game level in a melee game - 06/19/17 17:04

Angle / Position you attack from.
Higher places > lower places or jump attacks

Having cool blood effects, animations and hit sounds will make hitting someone a great feeling. If you feel the weapon the game is fun
Posted By: DriftWood

Re: Making use of the game level in a melee game - 07/04/17 20:44

Honestly, it takes a bunch of work. But I'd love to feel AI that uses the cheap ideas players do.
For example, I played a game where I could climb on top of a pillar and shoot down on AI like pot-shots. The AI on the other hand never did this. It's a very uneven idea. The idea that players can creatively use the level or even exploit the level.
Here is the basic idea. You can track player-AI kills. Then track player/environment interaction.
In the case above if we pass 3 cycle of the player climbing the pillar and totally wiping out AI, we allow the AI to see, understand and copy. So each terrain exploit by the player creates a greater change of the AI learning to use the same exploit.

There is also some simple math facts. Like - a ranged weapon travels farther when fired from a height. It does more damage also. I.e. Archers on the ridge.

Furthermore, interaction makes environments fun. -- Was it super smash bro's that I could swim around poles? When we talk environment the question becomes - How can I make both player and AI use everything in the scene like this was a Jacky Chan movie ( But avoid the mechanical issues from other games.)

If?! - I have a group of enemies down hill, and I have a collection of "Red barrels" up hill next to my, why can't I kick them down for a boom?

Here is a real fun one - So the enemy is in a bar - 2 front window - 1 front door - 1 overhanging porch cover/ with 2 v-beams holding it up. So I sneak up to the 2 windows and drop trigger bombs below them. Then I go across the street to the building roof( bar == city). --- Action!-- Through the window I shoot one. Others begin to come outside knowing I shoot from the roof. A few shots to the v-beams and the porch overhang falls and kills them. Now the leftovers try jumping out the windows -- but BOOM and BOOM. I run down street level and jump in one of the windows --- The last are covered behind the bar. I shoot a few bottles then throw a match. Bad-guy barn-fire.

Explore outside of games - every cool game idea was ported from books, tv, and movies.
Posted By: Reconnoiter

Re: Making use of the game level in a melee game - 07/05/17 11:55

Originally Posted By: DriftWood

How can I make both player and AI use everything in the scene like this was a Jacky Chan movie ( But avoid the mechanical issues from other games.)

If?! - I have a group of enemies down hill, and I have a collection of "Red barrels" up hill next to my, why can't I kick them down for a boom?
, this is something I am trying to implement in my game but indeed takes alot of work especially with the not-so-good physics system in acknex/gs3d. But its slowly getting there, atleast faster than gs3d updates. grin

Another idea jumpman is to let obstacles stagger attacks from actors/players so timing gets essential too and e.g. stuff like parrying (might wanna take a peak at mount&blade's combat system).
© 2024 lite-C Forums