[Sphere] Sphere 2 Released

Posted By: Matt_Aufderheide

[Sphere] Sphere 2 Released - 09/30/06 11:27

I am happy to announce that Sphere Engine 2 is complete and is now available!

*Note* anyone who has already purchased Sphere is entitled to receive a free update. To get your download link for an update please email me with the subject "Update Request". tycho@freeforminteractive.com

Sphere 2.0
Main Rendering Features:
------------------------

* Real-time dynamic soft shadow mapping

* Parallax normal mapping and light management

* Water with realtime reflections and waves

* Advanced tree and vegetation system

* Dynamic imposters for trees

* Advanced terrain shaders

* Volumetric clouds

* Fullscreen "bloom" effect

* Full rendering quality settings menu

...and more.

Posted By: DARKLORD

Re: [Sphere] Sphere 2 Released - 09/30/06 11:43

I don't have much time atm so I will just say what comes to my mind when I saw these screen shots:

WOW GREAT!!!

I haven't bought sphere till now because it often looked very "unnatural" but now it's perfect and I will buy it.

So again thanks and great work!
Posted By: rvL_eXile

Re: [Sphere] Sphere 2 Released - 09/30/06 12:38

SEHR GUTE ARBEIT!!! Ich hols mir auf jedenfall wenn ich die Com habe !!!! Sieht wirklich gut aus!!!

cYa Angel
Posted By: ello

Re: [Sphere] Sphere 2 Released - 09/30/06 13:53

awesome work!! i hope to receive my mail soon so i can download it before weekend
Posted By: Dyc

Re: [Sphere] Sphere 2 Released - 09/30/06 14:00

Is the server down atm?
Posted By: Why_Do_I_Die

Re: [Sphere] Sphere 2 Released - 09/30/06 14:25

AWESOME , man , Im gonna upgrade to Commercial version of GS so I can mess aroudn with Sphere , looks incredible man , really looking forward to using the software , looking to make a horror game in the near future , this is just what I was looking for : )
Posted By: PHeMoX

Re: [Sphere] Sphere 2 Released - 09/30/06 14:45

Quote:

Is the server down atm?

I think so too, I can't see any screenshots, nor reach his site.

Cheers

Re: [Sphere] Sphere 2 Released - 09/30/06 14:47

Server isnt down, but your ip may be blocked.. post the first set of digits from your ip and I can unblock it..
Posted By: zazang

Re: [Sphere] Sphere 2 Released - 09/30/06 14:59

Even my ip seems to be blocked as I cannot access screens and the site...The first two values of my IP are :- 10.12

cant wait to see them !

Re: [Sphere] Sphere 2 Released - 09/30/06 15:30

82.35.2.xxx
Thx.

Re: [Sphere] Sphere 2 Released - 09/30/06 15:32

Quote:

Server isnt down, but your ip may be blocked.. post the first set of digits from your ip and I can unblock it..

The first digits of my blocked ip would be 82., you only need the first right?

Cheers
Posted By: BoH_Havoc

Re: [Sphere] Sphere 2 Released - 09/30/06 16:12

volumetric clouds?! you mean like...real volumetric clouds? O_O this is awesome

downloading the demo right now ... buying the full version soon after it i guess
Posted By: TheStonerunner

Re: [Sphere] Sphere 2 Released - 09/30/06 17:08

Yikes. That's all I can say. That's a good yikes, obviously.
Posted By: Wicht

Re: [Sphere] Sphere 2 Released - 09/30/06 17:20

@Matt

I downloaded the demo. But this is only version 1.1 ...
Posted By: AIS_Rich

Re: [Sphere] Sphere 2 Released - 09/30/06 17:24

I just ordered 2.0, but also recieved 1.1. Sent an email and just waiting for the update.
Posted By: Loopix

Re: [Sphere] Sphere 2 Released - 09/30/06 18:00

WOW...looks good! Can't wait to see it in realtime

Thanks for doing such a good job...and also for offering it for free to Sphere1 customers!
Posted By: MaxF

Re: [Sphere] Sphere 2 Released - 09/30/06 19:04

Hi Matt

I trying to get my Sphere 1 working and I get this

Plus sent an email about free upgrade

How fast is the rendering with all the shaders on?
Posted By: HPW

Re: [Sphere] Sphere 2 Released - 09/30/06 21:11

This is much old syntax in the demo. It's not supported anymore in A6.5.
I have the same errors.
I removed all old syntax in the scripts but the DLL Functions are also not working with A6.5.

Re: [Sphere] Sphere 2 Released - 09/30/06 21:32

Yes they are

This is the latest beta.
But I don't think this is the sphere 2.0
Posted By: HPW

Re: [Sphere] Sphere 2 Released - 09/30/06 21:39

Sorry, the DLL Functions are working with A6.5. It was my mistake. I forgot to copy the DLL in the Ack Plugin folder.
Posted By: HeelX

Re: [Sphere] Sphere 2 Released - 09/30/06 23:45

Respect.

Maybe you can focus more on non-vegetation shader support from now on. Things which come into my mind is haze, depth of field, motionblur (fullscreen, objectwise), etc. as default/template feature inside Sphere as well as other "very specific" things.
Posted By: Matt_Coles

Re: [Sphere] Sphere 2 Released - 10/01/06 00:07

all I can say is wow, and I can't wait for my download link,

thanks matt
Posted By: Drew

Re: [Sphere] Sphere 2 Released - 10/01/06 00:11

cool! looking forward to my link as well

what are the other features?
I would LOVE to see depth of field in the future...

Thanks
Drew

Re: [Sphere] Sphere 2 Released - 10/01/06 00:22

also volumetric clouds are a nice addition, time to kick some crysis muffin!

Re: [Sphere] Sphere 2 Released - 10/01/06 01:13

killer, just got my link, that was fast! I'm jumping into the new version now...

thanks Matt

Re: [Sphere] Sphere 2 Released - 10/01/06 01:41

me too. sweet, big download
Posted By: Frits

Re: [Sphere] Sphere 2 Released - 10/01/06 09:36

I have downloaded the demoversion. It says version 1.1.
(date sphere.dll is 18-09-2005, that can't be right or ?)

When I try to run the demo I get an error;
Error(97): Syntax error - nonexistent/empty function remove
error in script or level

???????
Regards,
Frits
Posted By: TimeOut

Re: [Sphere] Sphere 2 Released - 10/01/06 10:01

Quote:

I have downloaded the demoversion. It says version 1.1.
(date sphere.dll is 18-09-2005, that can't be right or ?)

When I try to run the demo I get an error;
Error(97): Syntax error - nonexistent/empty function remove
error in script or level

???????
Regards,
Frits

Same to me,we must wait, the demo is not upgraded at the moment.

Re: [Sphere] Sphere 2 Released - 10/01/06 15:40

Somehow I didnt upload the new demo right, i am reuploading it, please try again in a little bit.
Posted By: JetpackMonkey

Re: [Sphere] Sphere 2 Released - 10/01/06 15:55

It's very impressive. I really am excited about the opportunities this will open up for level design. Particularly exciting to me is using the vegetation system with my own, weird unique plants..

The real time shadows are pretty good, I guess one day precalculated lightmaps will be pretty outdated, won't they, as graphics cards are better at this kind of thing? Will this kind of polymesh + real time shadow rendering replace lightmaps and scene management? I have a very high end graphics card, so it works reasonably well, but I think it might be about 2 years before the average graphics card catches up.

Imagine a blender level exporter tool with which you could set up lighting, then it is all exported, with lights converted into sphere lights adjusted to the same values, to give a wysiwyg lighting effect.

Matt, are the splatmap terrains in the outdoor level created with IceX 2? If not, how did you do the terrain multitexturing-- with a paint editor?

I love the water effects, just lovely work. What a bargain at that price too.
Kudos and thanks for the great plugin..

Re: [Sphere] Sphere 2 Released - 10/01/06 16:02

Splat maps are made simply in photoshop.... just a combination of red and green.

Re: [Sphere] Sphere 2 Released - 10/01/06 17:14

Any chance depth of field will make it into an upcoming sphere version?

Re: [Sphere] Sphere 2 Released - 10/01/06 17:58

Habe mir gerade mal die Demo gezogen, wollte entpacken bekomm aber nen Error irgentwas von unerwartetes Archiv ende...

Ich glaub du musst die Demo mal neu hochladen...

cYa Angel
Posted By: Excessus

Re: [Sphere] Sphere 2 Released - 10/01/06 18:05

I got a missing DLL error: d3dx9_30.dll. I've downloaded this file and put it in the sphere demo folder and it works. Great stuff!

You don't speak German, do you? Here is what Angel sayd: "I downloaded the demo and when I tried to unpack it I got an unexpected end of archive error."

Re: [Sphere] Sphere 2 Released - 10/01/06 18:35

i had the same problem now it works.
Posted By: FoxHound

Re: [Sphere] Sphere 2 Released - 10/01/06 18:37

WHen you get an error like "unexpected end of archive error" it means the download went bad. Download it again.

Re: [Sphere] Sphere 2 Released - 10/01/06 18:46

Ok ure right Foxhound my mistake ^^

cYa Angel
Posted By: Helghast

Re: [Sphere] Sphere 2 Released - 10/01/06 19:03

coolyjooly,

see me as a new customer very soon (just gotta wait gfor my paycheck).

this is SWEEET stuff
Posted By: Pappenheimer

Re: [Sphere] Sphere 2 Released - 10/01/06 19:10

I've got my update! Thanks a lot for the fast response!

I feel stupid, but I still can't get it to work!

Error message: "Malfunction W1523 Sp_devicereset not found in DLL"!

Re: [Sphere] Sphere 2 Released - 10/01/06 20:12

Sweet, this looks amazing Matt, very nice!

Cheers
Posted By: broozar

Re: [Sphere] Sphere 2 Released - 10/01/06 20:33

what? it's really not a photograph? *g*

work on the highest level, as always. congratulations matt to this brilliant piece of hard work and to it's completion.

Re: [Sphere] Sphere 2 Released - 10/01/06 23:05

Quote:

Any chance depth of field will make it into an upcoming sphere version?

Possibly..

I am thinking of making a smaller DLL with just thess kinds of effects, like HDR, motion blur, heat haze, DOF..

Note to everyone, my whole website is down right now.. dont know why..

Re: [Sphere] Sphere 2 Released - 10/01/06 23:25

If you do, I'd buy it right away as I've been after depth of field for quite some time and I'd be able to come up with some use for the other effects

Hmm... seems like I'll be needing a new 3d Card, I've been waiting to have an excuse to upgrade.

Thanks,
Matt
Posted By: D3D

Re: [Sphere] Sphere 2 Released - 10/02/06 00:07

Render to Texture, HDR, Water, Bloom, Parallax, Multitextured Terrain, Depth of View, Haze, Motion Blur, Soft Shadows. Awesome, me too! I would buy this right away if it would be more user friendly then my experience with Sphere.

ATM I have some problems with published version of Sphere2 and thus I can't say how much I like it, quick run from WED looks great though. When I just want to add parallax shader to my model-based room, it takes me ages to figure out howto use Sphere without all the demo files. I need to use my own models. With the parallax shader from aum53 i'm able to create the desired effect in minutes.

1: Copy DLL, .FX shaders + associated files to new project folder
2: Call DLL with include <dll_initialize.wdl>; inside my own mainscript
3: Call .FX shaders with include <shader_initialize.wdl>; inside my own mainscript
4: Call .FX shaders actions with include <shader_actions.wdl>; inside my own mainscript
5: Easy optimize and make changes to effects trough a shader_vars.wdl script and WED properties flags.

Build|Run|Fun

If the future DLL is easy to use as the 5 steps above, with those effect you mentioned and combined with a little tutorial howto optimize and configure the effects, i'm the first to buy it or perhaps second because Matt_Coles was before me

Would be nice and real timesaver if someone write a step by step tutorial on howto use Sphere2 with your own out of models created world, but guess that isn't going to happen?

Anyways it would be sad day for Conitec because if you create this DLL, i'm not going to buy GameStudio Professional.

Dusty

Re: [Sphere] Sphere 2 Released - 10/02/06 02:17

I'm not sure exacly what you are asking for.. but SPhere is very easy to get working if you use the demo setup.. that's why its there.. just chnage the models to your own.. and it will work.

Re: [Sphere] Sphere 2 Released - 10/02/06 03:17

Matt, you are right about replacing the models inside the demo with my own models. Actualy I did it this way with and while using Sphere 1.1 after reading and understanding the meaning of "Bring it to Sphere" instead of adding Sphere to.

However this is more work for using -some- shader effect(s) inside your own project right? Because you must first 'hack' the 114MB Sphere2 demo level by removing models, script code etc, and replace 'reverse engineer' those with your own.

Personally I would find it much more easier if I had a little step by step tutorial for learning howto do it on my own with the bare-minimum, creating a level with my own models and about howto apply Sphere it's features. I would be happy to pay extra for it when you release Sphere3 in the future.

When I think of it. While you worked on Sphere2. You could have documented all these steps you needed to take in order to create the levels (not programming the dll or howto model), but about the mystery how when where and why you used shaders/models/textures/c-script in order to make it to the working demo as seen today, without working backwards.

Anyways i'm not ungrateful. Those effects you get with Sphere for it's price. The fact one may do anything with the artwork and also freely distribute his/her Sphere powered game commercialy without paying royalties, is a real bargon on itself!

How about someone download the Sphere2 demo and create a complete tutorial based of the demo. This way people like me can learn from the bare-minimum howto do it on their own with their own models and scripts and use of the shaders. If someone would do this in George Pirvu style and share it with all Sphere users. I buy Sphere2 for you!?

Dusty

Re: [Sphere] Sphere 2 Released - 10/02/06 05:02

What do you mean using sphere demo and replacing its models with your own , I have never used sphere , but this sounds like it would be limiting for making a game. Can anyone explain a bit more what this means ?

Re: [Sphere] Sphere 2 Released - 10/02/06 05:13

With Sphere you are encouraged (but not limited) to use the demo as a starting point for your own Sphere powered game. This makes it easier when you have less experience with programming. I could for instance just replace the level model with my own model to make it look more personal visually.

Guess if you are experienced programmer, glancing at Sphere_doc and the demo files is enough to do your own levels in the future, without having to reverse engineer the demo level or reading a step by step tutorial.

Dusty
Posted By: MDI

How real - 10/02/06 05:55

Noone my texture looks so good as your!! How you make that!!
But moat important what you do with water - so real!!

Re: How real - 10/02/06 17:13

Who managed to run the update?

I didn't, my sphere.dll seems to be corrupted. The old versions run with the old dll, but they start the same error message as the new version.

Re: How real - 10/02/06 17:33

just Dled it, copied the dll, and works like a charm

Re: How real - 10/02/06 17:34

hm...I can run the update without any problems (p4 3.2Ghz, 1024 RAM, x800 pro, WindowsXP). The outdoor-demo runs with about 30 fps (switching off the grass increases the fps most...up to 45 fps), the indoor-demo runs exremly smooth with over 80 fps.

Sphere2 provides better results than seen in Oblivion . I'm pretty sure the framerate could be increased, if the trees (...wich look awesomly good) woulden't count 2000-3000 triangles...but this can of course be changed by the user.

@Cardboardhomie = Pappenheimer in english Have you installed the latest directX?

Re: How real - 10/02/06 17:53

This gives me hope!

I don't think that it needs a newer version than the first version.

I re-download the update... well, I'll see...

EDIT:

No difference. Same error message, and its follow ups of error messages, seems that there can't any of the dll functions be found!

I don't ´have any idea. I guess that I forgot to do something simple something obvious...

Re: How real - 10/02/06 18:34

und die sphere.dll haste auch ganz sicher in den gamestudio acknex_plugins ordner reinkopiert??
Posted By: Lion_Ts

Re: [Sphere] Sphere 2 Released - 10/02/06 22:13

pictures are very impressive. (i like 'bumped' clouds)
thanks for great work, Matt!
Sad, i have nvidia fx5200 (tried your 'Sphere v1 demo' - fps drops remarkably). 'Sphere v2' will be my 1st buy after upgrading my video.

Re: [Sphere] Sphere 2 Released - 10/02/06 23:55

@ Loopix: How did you measure fps in the indoor level? If I press F11 the Sphere lights go out. Did you write a custom fps script?

@ Lion_TS: Lets hope people buying a Sphere2 powered game, don't mind upgrading their graphicscard and shell out a few 100 dollars too. Hmm j/k lets go on bughunt

While Sphere2 looks very beautiful if and when I run from WED, to bad I still can't run (sphere.dll is inside the published folder) a published .exe powered with the Sphere2 Engine. My current card should not be a problem because otherwise it would not even run from WED in the first place..

Dusty

Re: [Sphere] Sphere 2 Released - 10/03/06 02:29

Quote:

to bad I still can't run a published .exe powered with the Sphere2 Engine

I dont see why.. it should be fine. What is the problem?

Re: [Sphere] Sphere 2 Released - 10/03/06 02:41

@ Matt_Aufderheide:

My Workstation

Pentium Dual Core 2,6GHz
1024 MB RAM
Windows XP SP2 Home Edition
DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
Nvidia Geforce 6600 256MB ps/vs 3.0
Nvidia Driver 9.1.4.7 WHQL
GameStudio A6.40.5 Commercial
Sphere 2.0 Full version

Here are my steps:

01: Unpack 'Update_Sphere_2_Full.zip'
02: Create new directory on drive C named 'Sphere'
03: Copy content of 'Update_Sphere_2_Full' to C:\Sphere
04: Copy the 'sphere.dll' to 'acknex_plugins' directory
05: Open 'demo_inside.wmp' in WED
06: Build the 'demo_inside.wmp' in WED
07: Save 'demo_inside.wmp' in WED
08: Run the 'demo_inside.wmp' from WED (all is fine)
09: Publish the 'demo_inside.wmp' from WED
10: Copy 'sphere.dll' into 'sphere_demo.cd' directory
11: Run 'sphere_demo.exe' from C:\Sphere\sphere_demo.cd
12: First error see: Error1

Error1

Tried to solve problem: copy 'images' folder from C:\Sphere into published C:\Sphere\sphere_demo.cd directory.

Now Error1 is gone, but when I run the published exe it will crash and the debugger trow a JiT with the message: Unhandled exception at 0x057f8d3b in sphere_demo.exe: 0xC0000005: Access violation reading location 0x00000000.

Running the game from command prompt with -wnd prevents the computer from further problems. Because then I can cancel to debug the exception, which I could not do when I run the published .exe in full screen as it would then be impossible to use keys like described on Error1 image.

edit:

So at this point I can run the published game without the missing .dds error if I copy the 'images' directory from the C:\Sphere directory into the published direcory 'C:\Sphere\sphere_demo.cd', However it will still crash and trow the JiT after a few seconds and there is no content (just black if in full screen or the little white screen if in -wnd mode) on screen, Sphere seems to be still bussy processing something.

Hmm this is strange, when I remove the 'sphere.dll' from the published folder the published demo runs and the options screen is displayed with the nice Sphere2 image. I can select indoor and outdoor, the levels load, but they are almost empty -> just few objects like stones, trees, creature are visible and blue-greyish background can be seen. Also no more exception from the debugger nor from gamestudio engine about any missing files. This doesn't look good, maybe a little funny though. What could be wrong here!?

Dusty

Re: [Sphere] Sphere 2 Released - 10/03/06 03:02

JiT crash? I take it that means no error message? Anyways, the demo published fine over here, so ... Did you try that?
Edit: Lol, sorry ... not exactly sober over here... Strange that it doesn't work though,

Cheers

Re: [Sphere] Sphere 2 Released - 10/03/06 03:05

Quote:

Anyways, the demo published fine over here, so ... Did you try that?

Please read my steps they are very clear.

Dusty

edit:

Ah well the same overhere Anyways did you run the published game, because I can publish the game too. The problem i'm having is with running the published Sphere2 powered executable.

Re: [Sphere] Sphere 2 Released - 10/03/06 04:10

MAN I WANT TO PLAY WITH THIS BUT I DONT HAVE COMMERCIAL VERSION
Posted By: dreadFusemonkey

Re: [Sphere] Sphere 2 Released - 10/03/06 04:38

Quote:

Hmm this is strange, when I remove the 'sphere.dll' from the published folder the game runs and the options screen is displayed with the nice Sphere2 image. I can select indoor and outdoor, the levels load, but they are almost empty -> just few objects like stone or that creature is visible and blue-greyish background can be seen.

Is the D3D dll also in the CD folder that was generated, or at least in your windows system folder or somewhere in your system path? Just a hunch. These were the same symptoms I experienced when I tried to run the game before I read the "manual", and thus, before I downloaded and placed the D3Dx9...dll.

Re: [Sphere] Sphere 2 Released - 10/03/06 05:00

Quote:

Is the D3D dll also in the CD folder that was generated..

@ dreadFusemonkey:

DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904) Have it updated from Microsoft website. Also I did in fact read the manual (the same message as with Sphere 1.1) "You MUST have installed the latest DirectX dll called 'd3d9x_26.dll'. Sphere wil fail without this. If you have downloaded and installed the very latest DirectX update it should be installed already." Therefore I asumed that when you download the update for DirectX, you get the latest right?

I interpreted what Matt says actualy as: "You must 'at least' have installed DirectX dll called 'd3d9x_26.dll'. Sphere wil fail without this. If you have downloaded and installed the very latest DirectX update it should be installed already."

I know it doesn't work, but anyways lets try your hunch by searching my computer for this file. Not found. Hmm perhaps downloading DirectX End-User Runtimes (April 2006) Full Download will help. Ah found 'd3dx9_26.dll' inside Jun2005_d3dx9_26_x86.cab, let's copy it over to the published folder.

Run the game. Nope same problem as showed on the image in my previous post, where only few object are visible and the background. Little mistake, forgot to put the sphere.dll back into the published folder because previously it would give me a JiT. Ok copied sphere.dll to published folder, now lets run the game.. Argh trows unhandled exception in Sphere_demo_exe again

Dusty

Re: How real - 10/03/06 09:34

Quote:

und die sphere.dll haste auch ganz sicher in den gamestudio acknex_plugins ordner reinkopiert??

Jepp! Das merke ich auch entsprechend an der Fehlermeldung, sobald ich stattdessen die alte DLL in den Ordner packe, gibt's andere Fehlermeldungen.

When I replace the new DLL with the old one of Sphere 1.1 I get this Error: "Error W1513 [in difference to 1523] Crash in Sp_devicereset" [in difference to "Sp_devicereset not found in DLL"]. This means that the DLL is in the right folder!!!

Re: [Sphere] Sphere 2 Released - 10/03/06 14:06

Ok I got a little closer to solve the problem, actualy I solved it. I think there is a problem when someone would try to publish the demo_inside.wmp level. Because a lot of .fx files didn't got copied to the published folder. Why? I don't know yet. Anyone can confirm this?

Please be kind and remove the previous published directory if there is any and then try to build and publish the inside_demo.wmp level NOT the Island_demo_2.wmp, then put sphere.dll into that directory and run the exe from the published directory with -wnd otherwise perhaps you lockup the computer.

Now you can't run the game and get missing .dds error right? Don't press OK, the time I did that my computer hung. Just click CANCEL. You need to first copy the 'images' folder and copy over the missing .fx files to the published directory, then it runs fine.

@ Matt_Aufderheide:

Why doesn't Sphere2 give error message about missing shaders? Or does it do that, but it's prevented by the debugger and trow a exception instead? Also why do you keep these lines inside indoor_demo.wmp:

Code:
	wad {
0 0 0 0 0
<d:\program files\gstudio6\wads\damned.wad> 1
}

folder {
<d:\program files\gstudio6\damned\textures> 1
}

Dusty

My offer still stands btw:

How about someone download the Sphere2 demo and create a complete tutorial based of the demo. This way people like me can learn from the bare-minimum howto do it on their own with their own models and scripts and use of the shaders. If someone would do this in George Pirvu style (just to say how good it must be ) and share it with all Sphere users. I'll buy Sphere2 for you!? Just ask for details i'm very serious.
Posted By: Machinery_Frank

Re: [Sphere] Sphere 2 Released - 10/04/06 10:28

Amazing tool.

It runs very fine. And the fact that I can switch off certain features to speed up FPS on lower system is a very good addition.

The columetric clouds are absolutely amazing. I never saw such a great animated sky in a game so far.

The parallax mapping at the ground is very cool and the foam at the shoreline adds to it.

I really felt like wandering through an island of the latest Oblivion-game.

PS: To Dusty. I really thought about creating a manual with lots of pictures and additional help regarding modelling and texturing. But that would become a little book very fast. So I think it is no task to do it for free. I could do it if there would be enough people willing to pay a few bucks (maybe 5 $, I am not sure how many users are in need of it).

But at the other hand Matt could do it himself.

Re: [Sphere] Sphere 2 Released - 10/04/06 12:57

i guess that'd be great if you create a tut. but i'd appreciate that it would lead step by step from an empty level and zero script to a small level.. including setting up models etc.

Re: [Sphere] Sphere 2 Released - 10/04/06 14:54

Year a tutorial would be great.
Posted By: maximo

Re: [Sphere] Sphere 2 Released - 10/04/06 17:46

Last year Tester adapt "sphere 1.1" scrypt, to use with Templates (6.31.4). If someone could do the same with "sphere2" and the actual version (6.40.5) it will be great.

Re: [Sphere] Sphere 2 Released - 10/05/06 12:26

@ Frank_G: I would be also very interested in such manual. Doesn't have to become a book though, that take to much time. Only thing is that I and a lot of other people don't have 3D Studio Max. However i'm saving money and in the near future i'm going to buy a modeling suite in the 500-1000 dollar range, that is if I can't learn doing it in Blender. Guess the same princepals would apply.

@ Ello: Yes that was exactly what I meant. Although there is a Sphere_doc, it doesn't learn me everything about the how when where and why sth. Sure I could replace Matt's artwork with my own scripts and models, but it takes way to much time. I don't realy understand what i'm doing without a manual. So what I can make with the sphere engine isn't going to look real good. At least not this year.

A clean start with an empty level, slowely working up to building a little demo level with all topics such as models, textures, lights, scripts, shaders covered would be awesome. I hope that Matt, while he works on the Sphere 3.0 engine in the near future, would take the time to document the steps he takes building a working level. Not the modeling part, but how he put it altogether and some tips for when using models or textures how they best apply with shaders.

@ maximo: Sphere 2.0 is compatible with GameStudio A6.40.5, or did you mean someone adapt Sphere 2.0 to work with A6.31.4? The last would be strange thing to do, because the current acknex engine version is working better.

--------------------

Anyways at least I have figured out how to measure fps while running inside_demolevel, I hit F11 and ESC. Also finaly understand why Sphere 2.0 didn't worked when I published the project. Other people don't seem to have problems with it. But on my system it didn't copied all the images and shaders to the published directory.

The last time I thought it would just happen when I build and publish the inside demo. However after trying to build and publish the outside demo the same problem occurred with the missing images/shaders.

Solved this by copy the 'images' folder + all shaders .fx's to the published directory. I should have known why my level looked so strange, because in the past with IceX 2.0 there was a similar problem, only that time with .fx files not being named right and therefore the level didn't displayed properly. However, back then it did give me a warning message.

Sphere 2.0 doesn't give me any warning about the missing .fx's problem. The only details I got was that an unhandled exception occurred within sphere_demo.exe. Perhaps this is due to the c++ debugger captured the error beforehand and tried to debug it. I don't know the answer yet.

Dusty

Re: [Sphere] Sphere 2 Released - 10/05/06 13:51

Dusty:
Basically you could create the contents even in MED. Blender works fine and so does Lightwave (with the exporter) or any other big tool. Believe me, your artwork will not automatically get better with a 1000 $ software. Painting, knowing how to create several details, experience and many tutorials are the key. And good models can even created with very cheap modellers.

Additionally it is important to know how to create normalmaps, height maps, alpha channels and to add that into the appropriate images. Since this is not mentioned in the txt file I could imagine that many people need more info's about that.

Re: [Sphere] Sphere 2 Released - 10/05/06 14:09

@ Frank_G:

Yes you are right. I have seen what some people can do with MED although it takes them much more time and stress I guess. Anyways it's true, buying a expensive modeling suite doesn't make anyone an artist. That is something which should already be inside the indivdual. But, I like being creative and was actualy saving money to buy A6 Pro. However, due to the fact I bought and have options to purchase third party softwares for the features, I don't need to anymore.

Perhaps if I figure out howto model inside Blender from the tutorials I do not need to buy any commercial 3d modeling software and save the money for something important. Also I don't make a living out of this like many other people, just want to learn and understand how 'they' do it and try doing it myself for fun (but seriously) in my free time.

About the normalmaps, height maps, alpha channels. This is indeed very important. I have had many many problems before understanding howto apply model based level with A6 & Sphere 1.1 addon in the past and still make mistakes, because I have learned the most from reading tutorials or just doing stupid things until they worked and documented everything what I was doing.

My most common trouble was with:

1: saving textures formats .tga/.dds
3: create normal, height, diffuse, maps, alpha channels
3: create, tile textures and apply them on 3d objects
4: 3d models size, the grid, quant and real world
5: lighting everthing the right way

Dusty

Re: [Sphere] Sphere 2 Released - 10/05/06 22:51

Matt-
what is the easiest way to turn off the main menu? Its so deeply integrated into the system, I dont want a menu...
Also, I cant seem to get Bloom working in the inside level...looks like its on in the outdoor. Where do i turn it on?

Thanks

Re: [Sphere] Sphere 2 Released - 10/06/06 02:19

Bloom does work in the inside, its just no tas noticeable because it has a brightness cutoff, the inside is darker than the outside. Look at the brightest spot on a wall and then turn it off, you will see it.

I'm not sure why you dont want a menu, but you could hack it so it doesnt appear and it just loads a level.
Posted By: lucidman

Re: [Sphere] Sphere 2 Released - 10/06/06 03:53

Matt,

I'm getting at best 4 fps. I have a GeForce FX 5500. Is that good enough? What do you recomend?

Thanks,

lucidman

Re: [Sphere] Sphere 2 Released - 10/06/06 07:53

lucidman: The FX series does a quite bad job with rendering shader 2.0.

[Sphere] Sphere 2 - Error after update to A6.50.2 - 10/06/06 11:54

Just downloaded and installed the acknex engine update 6.50.2 on my computer. Then I tried to build and run the Indoor demo from WED. Only it gives the following error message:

And every time I press the OK button it trows another similar error message. The Outdoor demo runs fine.

Dusty

Re: [Sphere] Sphere 2 - Error after update to A6.5 - 10/06/06 12:04

And there is a problem with the latest Beta 6.53. I get only a black screen.

But it works fine in the public 6.4 version of Gamestudio.

Re: [Sphere] Sphere 2 - Wrong dll in the Readme - 10/06/06 12:59

Finally it worked on my pc too! So, I'm happy and impressed! It is wonderful!

BUT:

From the Readme:
Quote:

****IMPORTANT*****

you MUST have installed the latest DirectX dll called 'd3d9x_26.dll'. Sphere wil fail without this.
If you have downloaded and installed the very latest DirectX update it should be installed already.

"d3d9x_26.dll" doesn't help you anything! "d3d9x_28.dll" doesn't do the job, too.

It was mentioned that one needs the "d3d9x_30.dll" somewhere in this thread, but I relied on the authority of the readme!

At the moment the shadows have hard edges, but maybe it is because I don't have the latest drivers of my videocard "Radeon X300"!?

Re: [Sphere] Sphere 2 - Wrong dll in the Readme - 10/06/06 13:32

@ Pappenheimer:

You need d3d9x_30.dll or just download the latest DirectX update and it will be fine.

Dusty

Re: [Sphere] Sphere 2 - Wrong dll in the Readme - 10/06/06 15:12

it works fine over here (geforce go 6800 ultra) beside that the terrain is rendered black. the dx-update was my last hope

Re: [Sphere] Sphere 2 - Wrong dll in the Readme - 10/06/06 16:49

Ello are you saying Sphere 2.0 is working with A6.50.2? Because I have it working in 6.40.5, but after updating to the newest acknex engine version it trows error message about empty pointer when the Indoor demo is run. The outside level works though.

Dusty
Posted By: eleroux

Re: [Sphere] Sphere 2 - Wrong dll in the Readme - 10/08/06 04:51

I am very impressed with the screenshots. I never used or tried the Sphere 1.1 / demo because I didnt want to rollback my 3dgs installation... but I'm looking forward to buy it very soon (meaning.. today, tomorrow )

I would like to know what are the system and GPU requeriments to run a game with Sphere. I want my game to be compatible with older/lower graphic cards too, even if I have to turn off some features.

I'm downloading the demo right now.

Good work!
Emilio

Re: [Sphere] Sphere 2 - Wrong dll in the Readme - 10/08/06 07:09

Sphere needs pixel shader 2.0 support
Posted By: TheExpert

Re: [Sphere] Sphere 2 - Wrong dll in the Readme - 10/09/06 13:20

Does Sphere 2 include some things for visual editing water and others parameters like a grass map etc .. ?
Or is it all by coding ?

Re: [Sphere] Sphere 2 - Wrong dll in the Readme - 10/09/06 13:48

Grass Map is a simple bitmap. You can edit that with PS or TheGIMP.
Posted By: lostclimate

Re: [Sphere] Sphere 2 - Wrong dll in the Readme - 10/10/06 06:59

well i tried it and as far as it goes... beautiful... but the problem? i have a pci nvidia fx 5200..... you know the rest..
Posted By: Yu_Une

Re: [Sphere] Sphere 2 Released - 10/13/06 07:43

What version you using? my self I won't be using th sphere 2.0 for a while my current system doesn't support sm 2.0 , in about nine months I'll have a new system , btw @matt outstanding screenie .

Re: [Sphere] Sphere 2 Released - 10/14/06 14:21

Question, say you make little examples with the Sphere2 engine. Would it be the better to include the demo-dll inside the download? I only want to include the full Sphere-dll when I ever make a full game, or will some features not work?

Another question, would it be possible to run the packed dll? I mean with molebox I protect the content, will I be able to do the same with this dll or must it not be packed?

Dusty

Re: [Sphere] Sphere 2 Released - 10/15/06 03:39

You can include whcihcever version you want.. the demo dll is the same execpt it has the copyright notice
Posted By: XNASorcerer

Re: [Sphere] Sphere 2 Released - 10/15/06 12:29

could you make a exe demo, Matt?
Posted By: REZ

Re: [Sphere] Sphere 2 Released - 10/16/06 21:11

Hello Everyone :-)

Got me the DemoLevel of Sphere 2.0 and it looks very amazing to me.
With the trees lightly moving, the cool looking water and also the Sky with the clouds ... very neat :-)

At the moment I can quickrun the IslandDemo2. When I go for publishing, I get an Error: "Can't open file 'screen.png'" Publishes anyway.When I try running the published Exe, I get the following Error: "Malfunction W1301: Tree_Main_1A.DDS Can't open file". So, got the same Problem, Dusty described and solved earlier in this topic. Will go after that.

My Profile: P4 2Ghz, 512MB-RAM, Win 2000, A6.40.4 PRO, DX 9.0c Oct06

Have a nice day, all of You :-)

C.U. soon,

R.E.Z.
Posted By: Aram

Re: [Sphere] Sphere 2 Released - 10/20/06 13:14

Hey there.
I have problem running the outdoor.
The errors are generally error code : E1513.
I get the errors like:
Crash in sp_init_Water
Crash in sp_init_Shoreline
Crash in sp_init_Treetype

and so on..

I remember i had similar problem once with sphere one , but then i fixed it i don't know how. Any help would be appreciated.

I have a6.40.2
Directx oct 2006.
Copy the dll to the acknex plugins as well.

Thanks,

Re: [Sphere] Sphere 2 Released - 10/20/06 14:09

REZ and Aram,

within this and the other Sphere Thread there is surely somewhere written how to solve this!

REZ, your problem is probably the same that duty had and solved!

Aram, your problem could be the same that I had and solved!

Re: [Sphere] Sphere 2 Released - 10/20/06 20:13

Quote:

REZ and Aram,

within this and the other Sphere Thread there is surely somewhere written how to solve this!

REZ, your problem is probably the same that duty had and solved!

Aram, your problem could be the same that I had and solved!

Dear Pappenheimer,
I searched the form for Error W1513 and I only found your sentences which didn't really helped me. I think there is a better way to answer my question than to say "there is surely somewhere written how to solve this!"

Cheers,

Re: [Sphere] Sphere 2 Released - 10/20/06 22:25

Does this mean that you already have the d3d9x_30.dll in the windows\system32 folder?

Are the fx-files and the wdls and the bmps in folders which are mentioned as paths in your main wdl?

From the manual:
Quote:

Error E1513: WDL crash in...
A crash happened due to bad script code in a certain function, like a division by 0 or a square root of a negative number. Note that such Errors are only caught and indicated in the development engine. In the distributable version they will just crash the program.

Did you change anything in the script?

(That's all what comes to my mind in the moment.)

EDIT: Another thing: You wrote you use 6.40.2 - perhaps you need 6.40. 5!

Re: [Sphere] Sphere 2 Released - 10/21/06 13:49

Quote:

Does this mean that you already have the d3d9x_30.dll in the windows\system32 folder?

Are the fx-files and the wdls and the bmps in folders which are mentioned as paths in your main wdl?

From the manual:
Quote:

Error E1513: WDL crash in...
A crash happened due to bad script code in a certain function, like a division by 0 or a square root of a negative number. Note that such Errors are only caught and indicated in the development engine. In the distributable version they will just crash the program.

Did you change anything in the script?

(That's all what comes to my mind in the moment.)

EDIT: Another thing: You wrote you use 6.40.2 - perhaps you need 6.40. 5!

I have changed anything. I have the latest directx (of course the right dll in the right folder.) and copied the sphere.dll to acknex.... . But your last sentence just saved my life. It needs to be 6.40.4 or .5 to work.

I think that should be mentioned in the Sphere.doc.

Thank you again,

Btw Matt,
You mistyped the needed DirectX file as d3d9x_26.dll. I searched hours in my 260GB hard to look for it and couldn't find it. That should be 'd3dx9_26.dll'.

Once again awesome plug in!
Best Regards,
Posted By: indiGLOW

Re: [Sphere] Sphere 2 Released - 10/30/06 22:53

Can I just confirm?

Im on GS Pro 6.40.5 works fine until publish version, which doesn't run correctly, white textures and intermident windows crashouts. So do I need to roll back to 6.40.4?

Cheers
Posted By: DavidLancaster

Re: How real - 11/07/06 07:10

Matt you've done a very good job. Thanks for this product it is much appreciated.

Re: [Sphere] Sphere 2 - Error after update to A6.5 - 11/10/06 00:37

Does anyone know how to solve the empty pointer error with A6.50.2 and Sphere 2 (indoor level)?

Dusty

Re: [Sphere] Sphere 2 - Error after update to A6.5 - 11/10/06 01:43

I dont understand why this error is happening under 6.5 .. something must be chnaged in how the pointers or handles work, becaus ei never get this invalid error in other versions.. I dont get it.

The light functions are coded in a such a way that the pointers should always be valid.
Posted By: William

Re: [Sphere] Sphere 2 - Error after update to A6.5 - 11/10/06 08:14

To solve the light issue under 5.2 change the code like so -

Code:
 function Light_Update()
{
var temp2loop=0;

//loop through and update each active light in the array
while(temp2loop<max_sphere_lights)
{
temp=closestlight[temp2loop];
if(temp>0)
{
me=ptr_for_handle(closestlight[temp2loop]);

if my.skill5<=max_light_dist
{
Sp_Init_Light(vector(my.x,my.z,my.y),vector(my.skill8,my.skill9,my.skill10),vector(temp2loop,temp2loop,my.Sp_lightrange*2));

Sp_Light_Dist(my.skill5+20,temp2loop);
}

//if light is nt within mac dist, make it black and very far away so there can be no popping artifacts
if(my.skill5>max_light_dist)
{
Sp_Init_Light(vector(10000,10000,10000),vector(0,0,0),vector(temp2loop,temp2loop,my.Sp_lightrange));

}
}

else
{
if(my)
{
Sp_Init_Light(vector(10000,10000,10000),vector(0,0,0),vector(temp2loop,temp2loop,my.Sp_lightrange)); //--- line that produces pointer error

}
}

temp2loop+=1;
}
}

Matt, excellent job with this release, having tested and messed around with the code some, just a great job all around. Both the indoor and outdoor scenes work great, and the water is some of the best(if not the best) i've ever seen in a game. I was wondering about the trees though, how do you make them sway? I cant seem to find what causes it past the plant_wave() function. As well, I couldn't figure out how to add them in a custom level, how is the bmap loaded that places them? Thanks.

Re: [Sphere] Sphere 2 - Error after update to A6.5 - 11/10/06 18:43

@ William,

Thank you for sharing the updated code to solve this empty pointer error. Sphere2 now works with the A6.50.2 update!

Dusty

Re: [Sphere] Sphere 2 - Error after update to A6.5 - 11/10/06 22:17

William, thanx a lot for finding that, i couldn't figure out what was wrong.. i wonder why it worked in the previous version and not in the new one?

About the trees, they sway based in this variable "plantwavespeed", found in shader_defs.wdl. The actual swaying is done in the vertex shader.

to change the tree placement you must make a new bitmap. then find this function: Set_Bitmaps_Level_2()

This is a function that can be called at the start of the level, for each level you need a new function; all it does is set up the bitmaps that Sphere needs for the level...

make a new funciton like for every level, and set in the main script to call whichever function corrsponds to you current level. You will needs ot make new bitmaps and assisng them in these functions.

The way it works is the scripts use a number of bitmap pointers, what you do in this function is assing given bitmaps to the pointers.

function Set_Bitmaps_Level_2()
{
//vegetation and rock maps
grass_mask=grass_mask_1; //for grass
tree_map=plant_map_1; //for trees
rock_map=rock_map_1; //for rocks

//these are are for terrain
tNorm_1=terrain_bmp_1; //beach
tNorm_2=terrain_bmp_2; //grass1
tNorm_3=terrain_bmp_3; //grass2
tNorm_4=terrain_bmp_4; //rock
terrain_blend=blend_1; //red/green splat blender
splat_tex_1=rock_parallax; //splat1 color
splat_tex_1_nm=rock_parallax_nm;//splat1 normal
splat_tex_2=pathtex; //splat2 color
splat_tex_2_nm=pathnorm; //splat2 normal

//sky textures
skydometex=skydome_1;
cloud_norm=clouds_1;
}

Re: [Sphere] Sphere 2 - Error after update to A6.5 - 11/17/06 13:13

Thanks for figuring that out William.

I'll make the changes.

Regards,
Posted By: William

Re: [Sphere] Sphere 2 - Error after update to A6.5 - 11/22/06 07:35

How would I be able to make a seperate model sway(that's not a tree or shrub in the Sphere system)? I've tried taking out a technique from the "leaves.fx" file and applying it to a model, but couldn't get no results. Basically looking to add some swaying to seperate tree models that were hand placed in the level. Thanks for the help.
Posted By: Grafton

Still not working - 12/10/06 00:21

Matt, I inserted the pointer check into the Light_Update() function as William shows, and the level does load without complaint. However the "monster" is totally unlit. It is as if the closest light array is empty? Maybe a problem in Light_Distance()?
Any ideas?

Re: Still not working - 12/14/06 07:28

So , after all this time , what would you people say is the min requirements for a user playing a game made with sphere , with quality settings set to midium or something , I only have extra edition , and still thinking about updating to commercial to try sphere , but I do only have a Feforce fx ultra 5200 , so Im still thinking about it before doing it , any info on speed would be great , specially for indoor levels , dont care much for the outdoor.

Re: Still not working - 12/14/06 08:42

it will run on an FX card, but will be too slow to be usable.

Re: [Sphere] Sphere 2 Released - 12/28/06 10:07

@ Dusty, that's not entirely true, I got a Nvidia card from Krex for under $100.00 (but it's an APG), but for the PCIE cards you shelling some money but PCIE is still fairly new tech .

@ Matt Aufderheide my email has resonantly changed, would that present a problem?

Re: [Sphere] Sphere 2 Released - 12/30/06 22:49

I have another question reguarding sphere , I downloaded and ran the sphere demo from the website , since I dont have commercial or pro I just ran the precompiled exe , and though it runs a lot faster than I thought it would , it doesnt render properly , in the outdoor demo I cant see the terrain at all , and in the indoor demo I dont see any light , though the rendering of the creature is BEAUTIFULL. My question is this , is there a compatibility list of what video cards Sphere will render properly on ? I am considering upgrading my gamestudio and buying sphere , but I need to know if this is a viable solution for making a Commercial quality game , or if sphere is more of a plugin to play around with which will only work on a select number of video cards ? I understand that sphere was suppossed to be slow on the FX series , but I didnt know there would be rendering issues , so I am wondering how many other cards have ran into similar problems. Any info appreciated. Again , I ran the precompiled exe , so everything should have worked.

Re: [Sphere] Sphere 2 Released - 01/05/07 01:15

Nobody ?
Posted By: nipx

Re: [Sphere] Sphere 2 Released - 01/05/07 10:56

as far as I see the video card needs

Quote:

pixel shader 2 support

(matt, above)

nipx
Posted By: Grafton

Re: [Sphere] Sphere 2 Released - 01/05/07 12:09

I have a Nvidia GeForce 7800 GS, and sphere runs well with it.
I think the FX cards problem was due to the cards limited/early support of PS2.

Re: [Sphere] Sphere 2 Released - 01/06/07 04:01

I have an early version , FX 5200 Ultra , though I havnt really had any problems with any other games displaying grafix , though maybe they all have ps1 fallback or something . I really would like using sphere , but I really would like to know on what video cards it doesnt work on , and on which it does , anyone have any type of list ?

Re: [Sphere] Sphere 2 Released - 01/06/07 09:55

Quote:

I think the FX cards problem was due to the cards limited/early support of PS2.

The Nvidia FX 5200 has no ps 2.0 support, only up to 1.1 and 1.4. For a list you could check the Graphic Card Device Info thread, there's no SM2.0 card in that list though.

That would be a really fast way. A nice and cheap SM 2.0 card would be a ATI 9800 for example,

Cheers

Re: [Sphere] Sphere 2 Released - 01/06/07 16:47

Quote:

The Nvidia FX 5200 has no ps 2.0 support

That's wrong, all FX cards have support for ps 2.0.

That was a big part of the marketing for the fx cards, however they tended to perform badly under 2.0, so Microsoft and Nvidia had to develop a new shader version called 2.0b, which was optimized for the FX chip.

That thread with card caps is odd because none of the cards show ps 2.0 support, even though many of them have it...that may be from the directX 8 version of A6.
Posted By: FoxHound

Re: [Sphere] Sphere 2 Released - 01/12/07 16:36

I have a 5200fx card, can't run sphere faster than 5fps or so.

FX cards weren't that great when they first came out either.
http://www.guru3d.com/article/content/59/

Re: [Sphere] Sphere 2 Released - 01/12/07 18:08

Yes SPhere is extremely slow on fx cards, this is a known issue. There is really no way around it either, unless someone were to change all the shaders to compile in ps 1.4 or something.

Re: [Sphere] Sphere 2 Released - 01/13/07 21:12

Well, my dad's Geforce FX 5200 does NOT run any ps/vs 2.0 application or game, nor does it's specs show that it supports vs/ps2.0. I'm totally unsure which Geforce FX 5200 it is, but it's old, that's for sure.

Cheers

Re: [Sphere] Sphere 2 Released - 01/14/07 07:09

All Fx cArds had 2.0 support, regardless of when they were manufactured.
Posted By: XNASorcerer

Re: [Sphere] Sphere 2 Released - 01/14/07 10:33

Your site is always down.
Posted By: AlbertoT

Re: [Sphere] Sphere 2 Released - 01/14/07 19:08

Same for me
I tried several times to connect
no chance
Posted By: proteK

Re: [Sphere] Sphere 2 Released - 01/16/07 18:21

Hi Matt

How long I have to wait for an update Email :-)

Sphere V 1 to V2

Maybe you Server is down or an other things is wrong.
protek@hispeed.ch
Best regards :-)
Posted By: Kenneth J. Williams

Re: [Sphere] Sphere 2 Released - 02/02/07 01:39

Has anyone been able to get Sphere 2 to work using the template_6 for A6.40
I am working on a shooter and having some trouble getting my project to work.
Am I just doing something wrong or does it not use the template_6?

Re: [Sphere] Sphere 2 Released - 02/02/07 15:03

Sorry i havent gotten back to you yet, but Sphere is not really made for templates, although i'm sure you could make it work with some trying..

Basically, you need to make sure that the load world funciotns are done by the Sphere scriupt funcitons, not with the templates, and that the player scripts are changed to incorporate some other things.. look a tthe platyer script in the Sphere script..

I have never tried to use the A6 teamplates..frankly i thin for a real game you might wan to code your own stuff anyway, becasu eth etemplates have a lot of stuff you wont use, and they are confusing.
Posted By: Kenneth J. Williams

Re: [Sphere] Sphere 2 Released - 02/02/07 17:49

Thanks the Sphere 2 levels look great and it will be a shame if I can't get it to work in my game with the template_6 for A6.40. So far I have the title screens coming on but I get this error "Too Many Functions - Bipedphy01_Move_Ground" I think I have all the other scripts working. Except Bipedphy01 I will make a folder of my scripts that I have edited and upload them to my website then you can download them I will email you a link. I think I got most of the work done.

Re: [Sphere] Sphere 2 Released - 02/05/07 00:57

I've found some more info on the Geforce FX 5200 series and it seems the card can't do ps/vs 2.0 using DirectX 8.0, however it can use ps/vs 2.0 in DirectX 9.0. I think in this case the A6 engine simply displayed the max for DirectX 8.0 indeed. This might explain why it didn't run any ps/vs 2.0 applications back when I tried, perhaps they were all DirectX 8.0.
http://www.guru3d.com/article/content/59/2/

Re: [Sphere] Sphere 2 Released - 02/05/07 13:50

Quote:

it seems the card can't do ps/vs 2.0 using DirectX 8.0

That's not suprising as DirectX 8 didn't have pixel shader 2.0 .... 2.0 and 3.0 were introduced only with directX 9.
Posted By: AlexGFX

Re: [Sphere] Sphere 2 Released - 02/06/07 07:48

Matt, I'm interested in Sphere, I was wondering if it is hard to use for someone that isn't that deep into programming? My game is very simple and I didn't need much programming knowledge to do it. Just wondering if it would be hard to add to my game, even though I lack advanced programming skills.

Thanks,
Alex
Posted By: Tele

Re: [Sphere] Sphere 2 Released - 02/07/07 14:12

Hello Matt

Sphere 2 the softshadow dont run.
softshadow i have includet.
By sphere 1 is run this.

Is that correct?

Thanks
Tele
Posted By: karmacomposer

Re: [Sphere] Sphere 2 Released - 03/31/07 22:54

Matt,

Has there been any updates to Sphere. I have not been able to use it at all - to me, it seems like I bought a Demo that looks real pretty and all.

Do you have any advice on how to use Sphere 2? Has any games or even fully working demos been made with it (complete with characters and guns and vehicles, etc etc etc)? Is Sphere2 ready for primetime or did I waste that money?

Mike

Re: [Sphere] Sphere 2 Released - 04/01/07 00:21

Matt- also, is there anyway you could release a bare-bones script for indoor and a seperate for outdoors? as simple as possible? I'm still having problems removing all the refernces to the outdoor level...I tried to mix it with intenseX and keep getting errors, I'm havin a hard time tracking down what is happening because theres so many options for outdoors.
that said, I still think spehere is awesome, just really hard for the average user to implement into their custom games...
Posted By: Ghost

Re: [Sphere] Sphere 2 Released - 04/01/07 11:33

Matt I have to agree with Drew on this.

Please give us some tweaks to make Sphere easier to use. It would no doubt help your sales too

Re: [Sphere] Sphere 2 Released - 04/02/07 07:48

Maybe it was a dream, but I swear i'd read somewhere Matt wrote about him wanting to create another Sphere plugin with easier to use features somewhere in the future. Then again maybe it was just my imagination
Posted By: Sam_Be

Re: [Sphere] Sphere 2 Released - 04/02/07 16:22

why does the download link not work???

ps is Shperte2 compatible with the extra version??

sam
Posted By: foodstamp

Re: [Sphere] Sphere 2 Released - 04/04/07 05:11

Yes is sphere2 compatible ?

Re: [Sphere] Sphere 2 Released - 04/04/07 06:39

you need at least com. because of the required shader support.
Posted By: foodstamp

Re: [Sphere] Sphere 2 Released - 04/05/07 19:52

Ok well I posted in other forum so i will post here and remove other post.
I wanna hear some unbiased opinions on this. I just ordered the comm upgrade for 3dgs but before I purchase the Sphere 2 addon I wanna know if it's easy to use or if we need scripting. How often are updates? what you think of Sphere 2 in general ?

Re: [Sphere] Sphere 2 Released - 04/06/07 10:45

I have it. It is super powerful, but there really isn't much documentation on how to use it, other than a brief overview and instructions to modify the existing demo code which comes with it. Matt is a genius to have put this together himself.

Sphere2 definitely requires a lot proficiency in c-script and shaders..

I bought it but don't really use it, mostly because there aren't really any tutorials and don't want to try to hack the demo code into my own.

I would -love- a good tutorial.

EDIT:

That light_update code fixed one of my problems with Sphere2, and now the outdoor level runs great. But when I launch the indoor level, it never loads-- just stays at the splash screen. Any ideas?
Posted By: PAS

Re: [Sphere] Sphere 2 Released - 04/09/07 20:11

English:
Hi I downloaded the demo of sphere 2. It's impressiv.
But I have a question:
What is the diference between Sphere 1 and Sphere 2 ?

German/Deutsch:
Hallo.
Ich habe grade die Demo von Sphere 2 runtergeladen.
Hat mich sehr beeindruckt.
Nun habe ich aber eine Frage:
Wodrin besteht der nterschied zwischen Sphere 1 und Sphere 2 ?

PAS

Re: [Sphere] Sphere 2 Released - 04/10/07 17:31

sphere2 ist auf gs 6.4 ausgelegt, sphere1 auf 6.31. v2 kann realistische bäume speedTree-ähnlich rendern, die tolle dynamische schatten werfen, das wasser sieht besser aus etc. dazu gesellen sich die volumetric clouds und die verbesserten terrainshader.
mit 6.4 ist es nur über ein umschreiben einiger codezeilen möglich, sphere1 zu nutzen ("1.1").

Re: [Sphere] Sphere 2 Released - 06/08/07 07:10

Right now I can run Sphere2 on A6.40 to A6.60, with some errors after 6.40 though.
Are there any Sphere3 plans for A7? Perhaps even with Lite-C support and easier to use features in the near future?
Posted By: fresh

Re: [Sphere] Sphere 2 Released - 06/18/07 04:37

Hi. Good job on the demo. I like the sky & the clouds However, I think the shadow is abit too soft on outdoor scene (can't really see any shadows at all). In the indoor scene, dynamic shadow seems rather choppy (update slowly) even though my frame rate is 60fps+ .. ( I have C2d @3G 7900GS).

I hope there's Lite C support as well

Re: [Sphere] Sphere 2 Released - 12/01/07 21:59

Is there any customer support or is sphere site down ? I need only an update, i was a long time away, and i see its free if i´m customer from v1.0, i hope i get an answer from the sphere people :-)

Re: [Sphere] Sphere 2 Released - 12/02/07 02:32

Got the upgrade by sending email with my purchase details. If the website isn't working anymore, perhaps you could send Matt a PM. To get Sphere2 working with A6.60 and A7 C-Script I had to recompile the dll and change some .fx files btw.

Re: [Sphere] Sphere 2 Released - 12/02/07 14:04

I think the problem is, that i don´t find the purchase details, its was a very old email, and it was 2005/2006. Maybe, he has a customer list, i hope so, or i send him a picture from my sphere files :-) i don´t know, my paypal account don´t show me very old transfers

Re: [Sphere] Sphere 2 Released - 12/30/07 22:49

Exellent job on the Sphere 2.0 Matt.
Posted By: Alardaen

Re: [Sphere] Sphere 2 Released - 01/25/08 12:54

Quote:

Got the upgrade by sending email with my purchase details. If the website isn't working anymore, perhaps you could send Matt a PM. To get Sphere2 working with A6.60 and A7 C-Script I had to recompile the dll and change some .fx files btw.

Hello D3D can you share the changes that are needed to run Sphere 2 under A7? Thanks in advance.

Re: [Sphere] Sphere 2 Released - 01/26/08 00:34

In this thread there are some hints when I was going trough all the steps. For the fx files it's just changing them to vs/ps 2.0 a lot of times.
Posted By: betuveen

Re: [Sphere] Sphere 2 Released - 04/26/08 21:21

D3D, thanks for sharing the hints to make sphere2 work with A7 correctly! You're rock and nice!
But I have another issue using Sphere2, all the panels in island demo level turn gray, (they're still alright if I load them at the splash screen).

For example, the TGA Panel with alpha like this:

Will turns gray like this:

Do I have to set some flags? I've tried some but it doesn't work.
I appreciate any help..

Re: [Sphere] Sphere 2 Released - 06/06/08 15:18

There was some change (from A6 to A7) in how gamestudio engine handle tga if i'm not mistaken? I have no access to sphere2 atm, but maybe the tga's that came with sphere2 must be update in psp or another tool. That or the sphere2 script needs adjustment.

Sorry for the late reply, but since the updates of GameStudio take so long i've started working with other tools for now.
Posted By: rogodoy

Re: [Sphere] Sphere 2 Released - 07/20/08 16:49

Hi, I have full sphere engine, it work very well whem i use the demo, but if i try to use it in a my game the mdl appear transparent. Is this sphere engin for use in my own game or not?? Why the sphere engine creators do not do one nice tutorial explaing how to use it in a game instead the spheredemo? Anybody get the plugin working in your own games? Because it just work in the spheredemo! Somebody could help me please!
Posted By: eMWe

Re: [Sphere] Sphere 2 Released - 07/22/08 13:13

Hello, the Sphere 2 Website seems to be down and Sphere Engine 1.1 is too old and doesnt work with my GameStudio A7.

Can anyone upload the Sphere Engine 2 modified to use it with Gamestudio 7?

Thanks
Posted By: JackTheRipper

Re: [Sphere] Sphere 2 Released - 07/22/08 13:38

Would like to see the screenshots.
IP: 84.183.XXX.XXX

Thanks.

Re: [Sphere] Sphere 2 Released - 09/05/08 02:22

rogodoy:

No the author of Sphere2 will not create a tutorial for Sphere2, in his perception the source code and demo should give a hint on howto use his plugin. I guess if he would have to write tutorials and such the price would be much higher as well. About the model problem, you might need to re-save them and or edit script if you use a more current vesion of the GameStudio engine. Sphere2 was created before A7 came into view. It should run on A6.40 maybe even higher, but above A6.50 you run into trouble without changes.

eMWe:

Sphere Engine 1.1 will not work with A7, didn't you get the update to Sphere2? If you look in this thread you can find tips on how to compile the Sphere2 plugin from source, but still you will need to edit the outdated c-scripts, change a few .fx files, re-save levels, models and images to get it at least to run on your computer. Don't not know where Matt is. Myself i've been away from the community for a while and in the past Matt said he might create Sphere3, but who knows if it ever will be released!?

If possible I want to help you compile Sphere2 plugin, but i'm unsure about legal problems. So if you can tell me something about what is in the source file on a certain line I know you purchased the plugin and maybe I can go ahead and compile it for you in case i'm allowed to do so. I do not want to breach copyright, get a lawsuit from Matt and banned from this community.

In any case the Sphere2 plugin is very outdated even if it would be compiled with current A7 and Windows sdk. The latest DirectX sdk it can handle is Jun2007. Though it can be done, still the C-script are very old and only fun to play a little with, but not for serious projects I believe. Best thing would be to rewrite for Litec, but for someone like me it takes perhaps a half year if not more.

Guess if you tell me to compile and you know the source file i'm allowed, but I need to know if this is legal or not before I try. I think Matt needs to give permission. Also some things can be done now with A7 using other methodes. Although the water is still the best part of this plugin.
Posted By: karmacomposer

Re: [Sphere] Sphere 2 Released - 03/16/10 19:49

How do I download the updates/newest version of Sphere2? I purchased this many moons ago and I have never received any update emails. I can send proof of purchase if need be.

Perhaps it's because my email address has changed since I bought it. My old email address was mfelker at primerica dot gosolo dot com. My new email address is mfelker at mfelkerco dot com.

Thank you.

Mike Felker
© 2024 lite-C Forums