Intense_X AI questions

Posted By: TeutonicDarkness

Intense_X AI questions - 03/04/07 22:42

Larry,

After starting to kind of get the feel of how to
set up the Ai and everything...

I came to the realization that a lot of the time the
AI could not see the player..
unless you created him in front of the player and facing him.

Whish I'm sure technically thats the thing to do...
but isn't allways practical in game-play that all enemies are
allways going to be facing you..

So what I'm asking is Their some setting in the
AI to adjust to increase their sight?

Just for example: In an early Aum the Perfect AI
could be adjust to see the player allmost instantly
( Regardless of where or how far away player was)
without the player being direct in front of him

This would make it nice to have Ai that can see from behind
and chase immediatly as Game Starts;

I do hope that at least this will be in The Professional
version?

*** Teutonic Darkness ***
Posted By: LarryLaffer

Re: Intense_X AI questions - 03/05/07 07:57

Hello Teutonic!

I finally got my ftp access back, so here's a screen for you

So to put it in words, the Npc Sight angle goes from 0 to 360 and can be adjusted from with in the General panel in the Advanced Section.

360 makes your enemies some kind of freaks who have eyes in their butts.. If a player is hiding behind a wall though, they would still not be able to see him, even with their super butt sight.

To make Npcs be able to see through walls is a feature i didn't thought anyone would ask for, so it's not in a Panel(i had overloaded them with settings already...). You can still do this with IntenseX - Basic with a little bit of coding.

Follow my instructions in this post to have your own script file. Now add the following function to your script:

Code:

function is_SubAction_CheckLOSFromStanceToStance(a,b,c,d)
{
return (IS_TRUE);
}

That's it. Your Npcs can now look through walls.

Here's some insight about what you've just done(if you're actually going to do this). All Npcs use another instance of this function which is called exacly the same, in order to do their c_traces and see if they can spot an enemy. If the function returns IS_FALSE, they can't, otherwise , they can. Now if we override this function with our version, which always returns IS_TRUE.. problem solved. C-Script always uses the function defined last if two functions share the same name and number of parameters.

As you've already guessed, using IntenseScript you'll be able set the player on your Npc's memory, so you can have an Npc chasing the player(or anyone else for that matter), at any time you want, regardless if there are walls in-between or not..

One last thing that you should mind.. If you want an Npc to automatically go after the player, on game-start, regardless if the Npc is miles away from the player, or right beside him, you should play a bit with the LOD values, also located in the General Panel in Advanced Section.

LOD in IntenseX prevents an Npc from getting Activated, thus spending precious CPU resources, unless he is close enough to the player, or there's line of sight between the two. If you don't want LOD in your game, then simple set the Short Range Npc Activation and Long Range Npc Activation, to an equal high value. If your level is 500 meters long for example, then set the number 500 in both those values, to get the Npcs going after the player, the minute he sets his foot on your freak-land

Let me know how it goes..

Cheers,
Aris
Posted By: TeutonicDarkness

Re: Intense_X AI questions - 03/06/07 02:44

Larry,

Thats a lot of excellent info to know...
But no I would not want all enemies to be able to
do this.

Maybe there is a way for certain Enemies only to do this?
For certain parts of the level that will have only
1 Enemy for example it would be nice...

Doing this for all would not appear right...

however having a few that can do this does cast
the illusion that The Enemy is actually
hunting and stalking player..
rather than just waiting around for the
player to make the wrong turn
where they lurk around the corner.

Would make for an awesome "AI Boss" to beat before finishing
the level...

*** Teutonic Darkness ***
Posted By: Jikito

Re: Intense_X AI questions - 03/06/07 07:43

I have a question to add.

when the rpg and adventure templates come out will intense ai be able to work with these?

I mean instead of making a 1st person shooter, make a 3rd person or isometric rpg and the like?

Re: Intense_X AI questions - 03/06/07 11:11

Hello,

Quote:

Maybe there is a way for certain Enemies only to do this?
For certain parts of the level that will have only
1 Enemy for example it would be nice...

That's where IntenseScript comes in... So you can do some micromanagement to individual Npcs, at any given time, or maybe when the player walks somewhere, or whatever. You get to name your Npcs, BadGuy1, BadGuy2, BigBoss or whatever, and then say something like: If player walks over there, then Spawn big boss, and make him hunt the player down(even if he doesn't currently see him)..

I used exacly that for the Strafes in Mother's Den. They would hunt you down the minute they're created, and suprise you in corners and stuff...

Unfortunately, I can't think of a way to command an Npc in any other way for IntenseX Basic. But in IntenseX Plus you get 'Following Paths', so your Npcs won't have to just stand there waiting for the player to come, if that's what's bothering you...

Quote:

when the rpg and adventure templates come out will intense ai be able to work with these?

Hey jikito. I have no idea, cause i don't know what doug's code is going to be like. I think he's working on some new Lite-C templates now, and that's probably where the new adventure and rpg templates are going to come out. IntenseX will upgrade to Lite-C when it becomes official and c-script is announced as obsolete.

Quote:

I mean instead of making a 1st person shooter, make a 3rd person or isometric rpg and the like?

You're not really limited to 1st person shooters with IntenseX Basic. Other camera types are already there. In IntenseX - Commercial you'll get Intense Dialogues, and probably a point and click movement too, so that should be way more than enough to cover your adventure game needs. I'll probably have my take on some rpg features as well.. Most rpg elements can be covered with Intense Dialogues, but i'll be still missing an inventory system and rpg stats (strength,agility,willpower, blah..)

Cheers!
Aris

Re: Intense_X AI questions - 03/06/07 17:36

I ordered this book:
http://www.amazon.com/Official-Guide-3D-...4679&sr=8-1

lets say I wanted to use just the intense AI part of it down the line.
Will I have to use an intenseX project, or will intense dialog feature be able to be used as a standalone with lets say a new project suck as starting a game from scratch?

Re: Intense_X AI questions - 03/06/07 18:44

wow, there's a 3d gamestudio book?

I'll soon get down to writting a manual section for more advanced users (and by advanced, i mean, people who know the basics of c-script). It will be very possible to add IntenseX to any existing project, and choose which features you want to 'pick' from it.

I explain this already in the tutorial. When you first create an IntenseX project and run it, it's like there's no script attached at all, until you start adding anything you want through the Panels. In existing projects, instead of creating a new project, you'd be adding some include commands to your main script.
Posted By: Mondivirtuali

Re: Intense_X AI questions - 03/06/07 22:01

Larry, I am a noob so take patience. I have recharge the card , then I 'll buy the Ix but I have another brief question:

1) I actually purchased intense Ai , may I integrate it into the X project in some way?
2) may I attach some shader to the Npc models? Something like :
normal map code
below
all the Intensex code or
animated skin code ( if life=100 skin1 else skin2)
below all the intensex code

Re: Intense_X AI questions - 03/06/07 23:09

Hello Mondi,

Quote:

1) I actually purchased intense Ai , may I integrate it into the X project in some way?

I believe you mean that you've purchased Intense Dialogues... You can integrate IntenseX to your existing Intense Dialogues project like normal. When IntenseX Commercial is out, you'll also get a discount to compensate the fact that you've already paid for its Intense Dialogues feature.

Quote:

2) may I attach some shader to the Npc models? Something like :
normal map code
below
all the Intensex code or
animated skin code ( if life=100 skin1 else skin2)
below all the intensex code

The short answer is Yes..
I don't recommend people to modify the IntenseX code directly for many reasons. But I'm already working on an advanced section in the manual, where i describe in detail how you can override/add your own code to your Npcs. To get more information on this, while i'm at work with the manual, check around the other IntenseX posts in this forum.

Cheers!
Aris

Re: Intense_X AI questions - 03/09/07 06:25

do you still have intense dialogs for sale? and if so, where could one purchase a copy?
Posted By: William

Re: Intense_X AI questions - 03/09/07 09:17

Quote:

I'll soon get down to writting a manual section for more advanced users (and by advanced, i mean, people who know the basics of c-script). It will be very possible to add IntenseX to any existing project, and choose which features you want to 'pick' from it.

I've got a question concerning this. I'm developing a kart racing game, the A.I is already done for the racing part. I basically use wed's paths, and set up multiple strings of paths with multiple diversions ect. and the A.I follows these and changes speeds determined on many factors(difficulty, and all that comes with it). Weapons also have their own A.I.

But what i've been tossing around in my head is to have some sort of deathmatch A.I for battle mode, and was wondering how hard it would be to use your pathfinding/node functions and have karts follow paths, find other karts, if their health is low, run away, ect. without running into walls. Nothing too complex, but something a little more than Mario Kart:DS, which had battle mode A.I, but all they did was follow paths like in racing, at a slower pace, and randomly shoot their items. You can make this approach dynamic, but the A.I sure didn't chase you down or anything like that.

So basically, is it really possible to have some kart A.I that is kind of intense? The karts don't need to face eachother as the weapons are turrets, and use their own lock-on systems, and the projectile weapons can just as easily hit you by bouncing off walls. They just need go anywhere in an arena level, avoid driving into walls, if they scan a player, chase them, if the player doesn't run, stop, if they dont have a weapon run away and get one, ect.

I guess a game that might have had something similar would be the twisted metal/vigilante 8 games. I remember vehicles racing around arenas blasting each other, picking up power ups, and going back to blast each other. No fancy strafe stuff, just good chases, ect.

I'm asking this because I don't want to spend too much time developing the battle mode A.I, as it's already set up for multiplayer, and I could use the time for other features. But your A.I scripts, if dynamic enough(not a tangle of code like the A6 templates), could pose a good solution for possibly making things a bit better when I get around to this.

Also, where can I buy the A.I? And is upgrades possible when the pro version is released? I'll probably purchase it regardless of this being possible, just to check it out.

Re: Intense_X AI questions - 03/09/07 11:32

Hello,

Jikito, i've put Intense Dialogues down since i'm working on a new version for it, that will be part of IntenseX Commercial. If you check the forums often, you'll be able to get IntenseX Commercial in its beta, like you did with Basic, so you won't have to wait as long as the final version being released. Still, i got no idea on the date yet

William,

Quote:

So basically, is it really possible to have some kart A.I that is kind of intense?

So what you're saying is, you want some kind of... intense AI? I think you came to the right place

But no, it's not possible yet... The pathfinding and everything would work a ok, but I haven't implemented car movement yet.. It's not the first time i've thought about this, and there are good chances that I'll be implementing one in higher IntenseX editions. But if you don't like messing about with code, don't buy anything yet and watch how things go...

The difference in car movement is mainly the fact that cars need a configurable acceleration/deacceleration value, and if they're not some kind of tanks, then they also need to be travelling with some speed before they can perform turns. If you have a movement like that already, I could help you implement it in IntenseX Basic to get some satisfactory results, or IntenseX Commercial(when it's out) so you can get the karts-looking-for-weapons features and everything... But there's a good chance i'll give it a go for car movement myself, so i'd just stay tuned...

You can upgrade from any version, to any higher version by paying the price different plus 5-10 euro merchant fees. Currently, no IntenseX edition is on sale. I'm trying my best to get IntenseX Plus Beta out as soon as possible!

Cheers!
Aris

ps: I can't express how much i love car deathmatch games! I hope yours goes well and you get a demo out soon! I used to play the 4 player split-screen Xtreme game in my a1200 for hours...days!! you'd get to shoot all kinds of weird weapons at your opponents, like running sheep, bananas, guided missiles... good times..
Posted By: William

Re: Intense_X AI questions - 03/10/07 04:03

Thanks for the info Larry! I'll purchase the A.I and mess around with it a bit once released, don't feel pressured to create vehicle A.I or anything. Also, nice to hear your into car combat as well, I've always enjoyed these types of games.
Posted By: Andreas C

Re: Intense_X AI questions - 06/10/07 15:20

Larry,

sorry if this has been answered elsewhere, but I assume that IntenseX will be compatible with A7 (Lite-C) ?

I can't wait to actually buy and try it ... (well, actually I can wait, of course)

Cheers,
Andreas
Posted By: D3D

Re: Intense_X AI questions - 06/12/07 06:58

IntenseX was written in C-script so it needs correction to work with Lite-C unless i've missed something.
Posted By: Felixsg

Re: Intense_X AI questions - 06/12/07 11:27

Quote:

IntenseX was written in C-script so it needs correction to work with Lite-C unless i've missed something.

But gamestudio a7 still suport c-script
the problem are in the future when not support
but think we can use intenseX until that and
larry have time to change the languaje
© 2024 lite-C Forums