Control games with your mind

Posted By: old_bill

Control games with your mind - 03/07/07 15:05

I just read an article about a new, interesting device,
the epoc. It lets you control software just with thinking.

http://www.emotiv.com/2_0/2_1.htm

They're allready working on a SDK for game developers.
Posted By: Puppeteer

Re: Control games with your mind - 03/07/07 15:24

looks very good and expensive, like all great gaming tools
Posted By: Inestical

Re: Control games with your mind - 03/07/07 16:51

Sooner or later, we can tape our dreams..
Posted By: PHeMoX

Re: Control games with your mind - 03/07/07 17:24

Uuhm, wouldn't this cause a waaaaay to much of an advantage if you simply 'think' I have to shoot the enemy and it shoots? I wonder how they would implement such a thing without becomming nearly invincible ...

Cheers
Posted By: Dan Silverman

Re: Control games with your mind - 03/07/07 17:34

Quote:

Uuhm, wouldn't this cause a waaaaay to much of an advantage if you simply 'think' I have to shoot the enemy and it shoots? I wonder how they would implement such a thing without becomming nearly invincible ...

At first, it may not be any faster than using a mouse or other game controller. In fact, it may be a bit slower for many people. The device could not read a thought like, "Shoot all enemies!" and then carry out the command. Most likely the device would work like you would when physically using a mouse (or game controller). You would have to "think" things like "forward", "back", "left", "right", "fire" etc and I would guess there would be a "training" time with the device (like when using hand writing recognition software on portable devices like a PocketPC). What most of use do fairly intuitively with a mouse/game controller would have to be re-learned with a device like this.
Posted By: HeelX

Re: Control games with your mind - 03/07/07 17:36

If it would be effective and easy to use (in the future), it would be pretty cool in combination with sculpting tools, I think.
Posted By: Damocles

Re: Control games with your mind - 03/07/07 20:43

Now lets say you buy a game, have this device and run it.
If you need 2 hours of practise just to not walk in rapid cycles the game will not be
much of fun.
It is simply not a gamedivice that the user can directly use on purpose,
it will rather create a lot! of noise and maybe with some training
a simple usable patter for game-controll. (like siting, and then give the order to not sit)
Humans are able to / designed to controll Fingers, hand, feet, mouth and eyes (and other movable parts)
but not to alter crude brainwaves for some purpose.
This device is not recording single neurons after all.
I doubt that this is more than some toy for technics-freaks.
Posted By: ello

Re: Control games with your mind - 03/08/07 14:03

i already control every aspect of my doings with my mind, more or less;)

but seems like a funny toy
Posted By: EX Citer

Re: Control games with your mind - 03/08/07 16:35

Interesting. It would be useful to control other things. I mean they game is as always played with the joystick, and with that mind control thing the player can control other stuff, like weaponchanging or psi forces or even cooler stuff. Could be an improvement into multitasking direction. I hope it doesnt damages the brain.
Posted By: xXxGuitar511

Re: Control games with your mind - 03/09/07 02:30

Very interesting. This could be used for so many things, but without actually using it, you can't see how it ACTUALLY works. It is most likely VERY expensive as well...

The part I was most interested in was the Mood. You could change the skin/look/attack/agility/etc of your player depending on his/her mood. I think this would be VERY cool...

Also, the movements... This would be very interesting, and I don't think it would work too well for movement, as you don't want your player to have to get up and walk around his/her room to move in the world... lol. You'd have to use some other method to move, as I don't think it reads INTENTIONS...

And I can't even begin to think how the thought portion works. It's not like it can read your mind, such as you said Dan, "Kill all enemies"... So I'd like to keep track of this and see if it goes anywhere...

Re: Control games with your mind - 03/09/07 03:00

They have been doing a lot of experiments with things like this. They have been able to get simple things to happen like moving a mouse cursor around and "clicking" the mouse via thought. So this is probably all that this thing does. So, whatever you could do with simple mouse movement and a two button mouse is probably all you could get out of this thing at the moment.
Posted By: xXxGuitar511

Re: Control games with your mind - 03/09/07 03:22

ha. lol...

I hope it's come alot further than this. Well, I'm sure the military has come unimaginably further than this, but the public hasn't

Re: Control games with your mind - 03/09/07 04:11

BTW - Do you guys see the "spiky" looking things sticking inward toward where they head would be? They look like they would be quite uncomfortable pressing against your head after a short period of wearing the device.

Re: Control games with your mind - 03/09/07 05:16

I've seen the exact same thing for controlling an electrical wheelchair today on youtube, lost the link though,

Cheers
Posted By: JamesA

Re: Control games with your mind - 03/09/07 14:12

Looks like would give me a headache,
this would be really good for people unable to use their arms.

Mind you, it could be some mind control thing....
Posted By: Germanunkol

Re: Control games with your mind - 03/09/07 16:20

"If you need 2 hours of practise just to not walk in rapid cycles the game will not be much of fun."

Damocles, I disagree. I think it would be fun to try and make your guy run around in circles ...

The device looks very interesting indeed, kinda scares me though... I had no idea technology was that far, and I didn't think we knew this much about the human mind.
When will those things start controlling us?
technophobia...:P

Micha
Posted By: Frits

Re: Control games with your mind - 03/09/07 16:36

Maybe April 1 ?
Posted By: AlbertoT

Re: Control games with your mind - 03/10/07 18:48

"...naturally produced by the brain to detect player thoughts, feelings and expression..."

I suppose it is a joke
Can modern technology really achieve something like that ? I dont think so

Re: Control games with your mind - 03/10/07 19:54

Everything happening in our brains are electric shocks. To gain outside information out of them is possible, but hard.
Posted By: AlbertoT

Re: Control games with your mind - 03/10/07 20:01

ok in principle yes, but if such device really works there are thousand more important application than a game
Posted By: broozar

Re: Control games with your mind - 03/10/07 20:16

Quote:

If it would be effective and easy to use (in the future), it would be pretty cool in combination with sculpting tools, I think.

and imagine its use in combination with scripting tools!

Re: Control games with your mind - 03/10/07 20:41

imagine.. to imagine what to happen next in the screen, without stressing your muscles.. I can't wait until there are ads "you actually can use your hands in this!" or "NEW! Muscle Movers, move your body with your mind!"
Posted By: JibbSmart

Re: Control games with your mind - 03/11/07 02:22

Quote:

The part I was most interested in was the Mood

interesting point! clever developers would take advantage of this and have an auto-tweak on the difficulty that makes it slightly easier if the player is getting frustrated, harder if they are getting bored. additionally, a DMC game could take advantage of people's aggression to contribute to the amount of Devil Trigger they have, or even to make the switch!
imagine playing Devil May Cry, hacking away at enemies, killing heaps, but your health slowly goes down, and as you reach a certain threshold of aggression "ROAR!!" you transform into Sparta and kill even faster! the satisfaction! that would be so cool

julz
Posted By: FoxHound

Re: Control games with your mind - 03/11/07 03:11

Sounds like a "dragon ball" game, get to mad while playing and go Super Sayian.
Posted By: lostclimate

Re: Control games with your mind - 03/11/07 03:30

what about sound based on your emotions, and maybe a skill level based on it
Posted By: JamesA

Re: Control games with your mind - 03/11/07 13:40

I was wondering if this will catch on with a lot of games etc,
for the reason that brain/hand coordination has evolved with us humans over millenia,
there is a kind of achievement/reward thing with hand/brain coordination,
just controlling things with your brain in a game perhaps might not be so popular with driving/shooting type games?
Perhaps games like tetris or chess might prove more popular,
what do you think?
Posted By: lostclimate

Re: Control games with your mind - 03/11/07 20:39

it'd be interesting to see this in use with music creation software

Re: Control games with your mind - 03/12/07 14:50

Quote:

"...naturally produced by the brain to detect player thoughts, feelings and expression..."

I suppose it is a joke
Can modern technology really achieve something like that ? I dont think so

I don't think it's a joke, scientists are experimenting with this a lot. Can it 'sense feelings' too, perhaps it can, but probably only either 'happy/neutral/sad', since those differences can be read out of brain output so to speak.

Cheers
Posted By: nuclear_winter

Re: Control games with your mind - 03/12/07 17:05

Quote:

i already control every aspect of my doings with my mind, more or less;)

...... i feel the same way, sometimes.
Posted By: Doug

Re: Control games with your mind - 03/12/07 21:35

<My 2-cents>
I've done some bio-feedback stuff, and it can be a lot of fun (and even improve your health). But if you are expecting to be able to think something like "shoot the red guard" and have it actually work, you are going to be disappointed.
Posted By: Damocles

Re: Control games with your mind - 03/12/07 22:31

I saw a game once, where the probants had to wear such a device
(this is no! new technology, reading brainwaves is probably 40 years old)

In the game, the players had to think very "relaxed", meaning that
the brainwaves should be in a very periodic rythm.
There was a ball on a line. For the probant with the more in-rythmic brainwaves,
to ball moved toward him, and away from the other player. You lose, if the ball falls over a certain line.

Guess who wan the game, normal Guy, a Meditating Monk, or a Yoga Woman?

No, it was a Dog, that they also hook up...

Making a really interactive Game is just Science Fiction. There
is not enough controll by the player to cause a precise action.
Natural, precise input methods, that what the human body is designed to do (Hands, Eyes, Mouth)
are always superiour.
Posted By: er_willy

Re: Control games with your mind - 03/13/07 00:11

The mind is independient to the body, the mind not is desig specifical for the human body, she learn to control the body in the infancy.

if you can move the pointer mouse whit the eyes, you can go very more fast what using the hand and the mouse. if you can write in word when the mind you go very more fast what usig a keyboard.

Any way this sound to waporware

Re: Control games with your mind - 03/13/07 00:47

Quote:

if you can move the pointer mouse whit the eyes, you can go very more fast what using the hand and the mouse. if you can write in word when the mind you go very more fast what usig a keyboard.

That's what I thought, but probably you'll need to train yourself being able to 'think' a couple of dozen 'move rights' in a row very fast for this to actually be fast at all. The program expects readable input, even if this is about brainwavesignals, it probably won't even except a constantly flowing input because it could ruin the gameplay or basic control,

Cheers
Posted By: Guo

Re: Control games with your mind - 03/22/07 08:37

i might be too late for this topic but.....do you guys know how crazy that thingy would be if it was used in wars...? Thats fricken crazy using only your thoughts to control an F-15...heh that would be awesome *-*. OR OR OR IF they make a war robot like the ones from Gundam Seed that'll be crazy *drools*. Control everything with your mind and use your weapons with the control sticks..HAH!! But ill keep on dreaming..not that i like war or anything >_>...this topic was so interesting to me that i made an account today haha.....-_-
Posted By: MMike

Re: Control games with your mind - 10/23/07 10:25

http://br.youtube.com/watch?v=wNr3yGcI_V8
Posted By: TheExpert

Re: Control games with your mind - 10/23/07 18:42

You will loose all your hair with that

In real life , thinking too much is really bad, can only generate
more stress to you.

That's why lot of people do lot of sport (and bed sport also ),
or activities were they must use their body to stop thinking ,
and act naturally with an empty mind (like art martials )

I think this kind of device can only be bad for people.
My advice only !
© 2024 lite-C Forums