If only I had half a million...

Posted By: Paul_L_Ming

If only I had half a million... - 10/09/07 15:07

Huh. Kind of a nice little engine here...

http://www.heroengine.com/

heheh...check out the "World Building" page... So, anyone up for coding that kind of an editor for A6/A7?
Posted By: ello

Re: If only I had half a million... - 10/09/07 15:29

it would for sure be cool to have it. thats no question.. on the other hand.. hmm yes, it looks like fun. like 3dgs with cool shadows and a cool editor (like gameedit, for example) just a bit more salt n pepper

btw, just imagine that teamwork.. you do something you like.. than concentrate on another part and come back just to notice your partner has changed it to something totally other:)
Posted By: lostclimate

Re: If only I had half a million... - 10/09/07 17:40

such an amazing looking level too.
Posted By: Machinery_Frank

Re: If only I had half a million... - 10/09/07 18:10

Look at their video showing collaborative world building:
http://www.heroengine.com/world.asp

I am deeply impressed. Both rendering (e.g. real-time shadows of plants) and tool-set is top.
Posted By: broozar

Re: If only I had half a million... - 10/09/07 19:32

where does it say "half a million"?
Posted By: Damocles

Re: If only I had half a million... - 10/09/07 22:17

Many of the Ideas and Workflows can be realized in 3dgs
if written in a custom Editor. (not WED)

Half a Million: you need that much at least to approach a real MMO
Posted By: Captain_Kiyaku

Re: If only I had half a million... - 10/10/07 12:03

omg what an engine T_T
It looks like so much fun. Writing this in 3DGS is possible but would take LOT OF time to finish this.

Does anyone know how much the Basic License costs o_O?

EDIT:
Just read that:

"Whether you need a royalty-free license or a low up-front price, whether you are ready to start full development or need a limited license to build your prototype, there is a license plan that will work for you."

Re: If only I had half a million... - 10/10/07 13:40

oh, btw, if i had half a million, i am 100% sure i wouldnt spend it for such things

Re: If only I had half a million... - 10/10/07 13:44

why not?

Re: If only I had half a million... - 10/10/07 13:46

Have to agree with Ello. Half a million would not be enough to create a MMO. So I would use the money for a more "optimistic" project then.

But I really would like to have such editors and such amazing real-time shadows available. Even their templates are amazing.

Re: If only I had half a million... - 10/10/07 13:56

i'd gete me a house with some beautiful piece of land.. and the rest would go to the bank for issues with the car etc.

if i had 5 Millons than i'd get that for sure:)
Posted By: Frederick_Lim

Re: If only I had half a million... - 10/10/07 14:33

If you have half million, you can hire some programmer to just make the editor, or invest in Conitec and beg them to build a new editor. lol

Re: If only I had half a million... - 10/10/07 14:41

that's it! we have 10170 registered users on this board. let's contribute 50$/each to force conitec to give us the a7 version we hoped for since a6.31!
Posted By: TWO

Re: If only I had half a million... - 10/10/07 14:42

Pfff, and I'm Jesus Christ, you know.

Re: If only I had half a million... - 10/10/07 14:47

Great idea broozar. If it takes only 50 $ to get a next-gen-engine then I am willing to pay that money to Conitec

Re: If only I had half a million... - 10/10/07 14:58

me too. i will open a thread in morbius.
Posted By: BoH_Havoc

Re: If only I had half a million... - 10/10/07 18:01

I have to say i am totally...i mean TOTALLY(!) stunned by the world building process! This is absolutely uber-awesome! It feels like playing lego with a bunch of friends, having a great time
Holy Cow ... I want this *thinks about robbing a bank or two*

Re: If only I had half a million... - 10/10/07 19:00

Yes i'm still stuned, working with severals friends on a level in realtime... it's like a great lan-party for gamedesigner.

I sent there an email for price offers to see what they have, i'm really interested in the prices (doesn't mean i want to buy it)

Re: If only I had half a million... - 10/10/07 19:15

why not? as i can see it, we are already 5 lads who like it very much, if we put our funds together, we could... don't make it a one-man adventure.

Re: If only I had half a million... - 10/10/07 19:20

Nono, if i had the money i would get it for sure.

I just mean i just sent the email to get infos, not that i allready decided to get it or something..
Posted By: TheExpert

Re: If only I had half a million... - 10/10/07 20:19

Cool engine BUT :
like always , i'll be bad
is there a demo ?
where can we find a game using it ??
performance ?
plugins to export geometry ok or not ? what format ? what modeler from ?
export tested ?
Hummm .....

And a last thing this engine don't make me dream caus i can't produce Oblivion
quality models or it would take years don't know if i would be alive ?
there's so big mmorpg : WOW , Guild Wars, incoming big ones: Conan etc ...
don't think you even compete with these that have big worlds and
lot of updates , new things / levels etc ...
Not for indie domain ...

Sorry to be bad/realistic(?) like always ??

But i've seen in the video their editor is totally artist oriented , such thing in indie domain would be a dream
Affordable Torque engine editors are the most near that !
And i like a lot their real time pathfinding editor to view in real time
critical pathfinding issues (easy and very good for non FPS games).
FPS AI is the most complicated one
Posted By: PHeMoX

Re: If only I had half a million... - 10/11/07 01:34

Quote:

Not for indie domain ...

True, but our dreams are bigger I guess, right? Anyways, looks pretty cool indeed,

Cheers
Posted By: RedPhoenix

Re: If only I had half a million... - 10/11/07 10:49

How are they doing this?????????????

Look at it:
-Dynamic shadows at realtime on terrain and casted from objects
-Very improved multitexturing
-Several shaders (I'm not sure whether they have a depth of field in background, then several normalmapping, and for sure there is something on the grass)
-Hundrets of objects (look at the grass and the stones, ok there are probably several per object but it's still a lot)
-And all syncronised on several pcs and if the video really shows the editiors inerface at realtime and isn't only a cut, they have three views on screen.

How do they manage to get all this working in an acceptable performance????
Posted By: mpdeveloper_B

Re: If only I had half a million... - 10/11/07 15:27

actually, you could use something like this in an indie company, you would just need to have a big team, and i don't think it would take half a million to do this either. It all depends on how you look at it, think outside the box

Re: If only I had half a million... - 10/11/07 15:33

Well after i asked for the price, they said they will contact me soon. and this is the email i got today xD

Quote:

Sven,

Thanks for your interest in HeroEngine. Please let me know what information you need beyond the online brochure and we will help you get started.

Best regards,

Liz Harris

So i asked again for the prices, let's wait I will post it whe i get informations.

Re: If only I had half a million... - 10/11/07 15:59

what happened to the fundraising thread? who's the butthead that removed it?

Re: If only I had half a million... - 10/11/07 16:56

The "butthead" (not my words!) is jcl

Re: If only I had half a million... - 10/11/07 17:10

"At BioWare we selected HeroEngine because it had the most sophisticated and complete development tools available for building an amazing online experience. Our team wanted a great rapid prototyping environment and to work with experienced MMO developers. HeroEngine from Simutronics is a perfect fit for BioWare Austin's requirements."
Gordon Walton,
Co-Studio Director of BioWare Austin

Well bioware buying it ,Bioware is not indee at all
It's a succefull company with millions, if they have put millions to by this engine , i doubt we can find it at an affordable price !

It's for big companies, like Unreal 3 engine and Crysis one ..
conitnue dreaming i'll keep playing game's using these engines
at least i won't get frustrated !!
Bioshock game is outstanding , let's wait Call Of Duty 4 that will blow everything else for some time

Re: If only I had half a million... - 10/11/07 18:40

actually this engine is a bit frustrating at times, it's a great price and you get what you pay for, but honestly i would rather have UT3 engine or Serious 2 if i had the money, i would've gotten one of those, because both of those engines are spectacular, and Serious' rendering engine is so far my favorite, because of it's ability to render huge outdoor environments flawlessly, and extremely fast. Although BioWare buying this engine doesn't disprove that an indie team could actually i'm still not convinced that you'd need half a million, unless they say it, because i plan on building a studio...although indie i plan on having quite a few people working for manga page and on a "percentage of each game" style salary...

but this engine, looks awesome to me, actually it seems similar to 3DGS but for mmo development, and with an awesome world editor...i plan on buying multiple engines for whatever game i'm working on, and this one will suit my needs for the mmo i plan on making

@Don: i'm awaiting that reply as well, as long as they don't have you sign a NDA (like BigWorldTech) then i'm interested in knowing
Posted By: sueds

Re: If only I had half a million... - 10/11/07 18:49

I don't know so much about mmorpg since i dislike the online game for my short experience, but why is so expensive to make one ?

Re: If only I had half a million... - 10/11/07 18:55

Quote:

I don't know so much about mmorpg since i dislike the online game for my short experience, but why is so expensive to make one ?

what they mean is all the people you'd have to have on your team in order to make one, and the amount of time each of them would have to spend, so you'd have to spend a hefty amount of money to pay most of them, that's why they are referring to half a million, but honestly, you could make an mmo with a smaller team, probably about 10-15 people could get one done in less than a year, if not a little longer, they'd just have to dedicate themselves, and if they were all in the company being paid percentage, it wouldn't cost half a million, but that's only holding into account that the game sells very well

Re: If only I had half a million... - 10/11/07 20:50

Sueds :
Well i played WOW, guild Wars , but stopped : borring after some time :
Power up become borring !
I can't stop playing BattleField 2 so good in multiplayer :
some strategies, lot of fun, friends to follow/cover in team play
etc ...
I believe in Call Of Duty 4 multiplayer indeed : )

Manslayer101 :
An mmo : they are all the same
-show me some 6 very good different animated models characters and some 5 ennemies and 10 NPC as good quality as Guild Wars (that is becoming outdated even if beautifuul)
- show me 10 good terrain textures (not too dark/flashy) , 15 environment models (houses, btemples, structures, bridge,waterfall) and some 5 very good trees, 5 moving plants

Well don't start thinking mmo until you can't show us a quality as good as
Guild Wars that can make we dream
caus Guild Wars cost is really low and you don't pay anything per month.
I won't buy yours or play it if it is not lot more original or better
than Guild Wars !

think on that, before dreaming too much
I can bet in some two months you won't have 10% of what i've said
Sorry to be too bad , it's just to be some realistic some times !

Perhaps target a little RPG before thinking too hight
Posted By: Paul_L_Ming

Re: If only I had half a million... - 10/14/07 15:35

Hiya.

I got the link from another site. On that one (the private RealmCrafter forums), one guy has an indie business (him an maybe 2 or 3 employees). Anyway, he asked. They said something to the effect of "We can talk. First, just give us $10,000.00 to show us you are serious, then we'll send you a demo. If you don't like it, we'll give back your $10k.". The price, as near as all of us over there could figure, is somewhere around $750k for the full thing (including source, iirc).

Still...I'd LOVE to be able to play with that thing! *drool*
Posted By: Mondivirtuali

Re: If only I had half a million... - 10/14/07 21:51

First, just give us $10,000.00 to show us you are serious, then we'll send you a demo.

He should give them an very harsh anwser..

Re: If only I had half a million... - 10/15/07 03:10

Quote:

Manslayer101 :
An mmo : they are all the same
-show me some 6 very good different animated models characters and some 5 ennemies and 10 NPC as good quality as Guild Wars (that is becoming outdated even if beautifuul)
- show me 10 good terrain textures (not too dark/flashy) , 15 environment models (houses, btemples, structures, bridge,waterfall) and some 5 very good trees, 5 moving plants

Well don't start thinking mmo until you can't show us a quality as good as
Guild Wars that can make we dream
caus Guild Wars cost is really low and you don't pay anything per month.
I won't buy yours or play it if it is not lot more original or better
than Guild Wars !

think on that, before dreaming too much
I can bet in some two months you won't have 10% of what i've said
Sorry to be too bad , it's just to be some realistic some times !

Perhaps target a little RPG before thinking too hight

true that mmo's are all the same, but in all honesty, graphics don't pull me into mmos...if you add new things to the genre and make the leveling system not as long and boring, then you've already beaten guild wars, wow, and most basic mmos...it's really not that hard to add 3 different job levels, starting with four basic, then treeing off to 2 in each of those, and 2 - 3 more, meaning you'd have a choice of 24-36 different characters....yes the graphics would need to be palatable, but if you make an mmo game better in gameplay, then you'll blow most competition out of the water .

Of course, i'm not saying i could do this, but if you added more inventiveness and changed the leveling system, as well as waaaay more quests, and fun quests at that, added about 3 job changes, and altogether made the leveling up to the max level easier, and faster, tell me you wouldn't have a good rpg

Re: If only I had half a million... - 10/15/07 07:20

More quests and more inventiveness, more levels, more of everything? That sounds like much work. What about my following idea:

Just go a complete different approach! Make an epic space-shooter with nice planets to land, stations to dock and amazing quests to get. If you can trade, fight and build your own stations then it could be much fun as a MMO. You could meet friends to raid other stations or defend planets, free a colony, whatever.

Something like that would change the MMO landscapes.
But another game with mages, fighters, orcs, thieves and elves - it would only be another competition.

But if you follow this idea then you even do not need this Hero engine, except you want to create detailed landscapes for the planets, but that would be way too much work for an indie studio.

Re: If only I had half a million... - 10/15/07 08:11

@frank: startrekonline might become such a game, it is in early development stages, but really has potential.

Re: If only I had half a million... - 10/15/07 08:15

Or help me making my Mafia Online Game

Re: If only I had half a million... - 10/15/07 14:17

well, it's worth the work to be able to do more quests, and since we'd be continually updating the game, we could add more quests in updates, as well as armor, etc

but i think an rpg should pull you in until you finish it...Chrono Trigger was like that
Posted By: bomber

Re: If only I had half a million... - 10/16/07 05:52

lol!~HeroEngine is for big companies who have a lot of cash in there hands

Re: If only I had half a million... - 10/16/07 05:59

very true, i wouldn't plan on buying this until around 2-5 years from now
Posted By: JibbSmart

Re: If only I had half a million... - 10/16/07 13:28

Quote:

very true, i wouldn't plan on buying this until around 2-5 years from now

i lol'd

if you're serious... congrats on the great success!!

sorry i don't have more to add to the actual topic. my opinion echoes others: it's a good engine but not meant for folks like us.

julz
© 2024 lite-C Forums